Type keyword(s) to search

I Wish: Storylines They Never Did.

jaytee1812

Except he slept with Rachel's birth mother and is the father of Rachel birth's mother's child and that just feels very pseudo-incestuous and icky to me.

Yikes.  Okay, I forgot about that. Dammit, Glee, ruining even my potential storylines with your icky writing!

Honestly, that lasted for such a short time, happened so long ago, had no reaction from Rachel, and just seems like a non-issue to me. No worse than Rachel getting with Sam who's literally been involved with every woman she knows.

One of the main reasons Klaine was ruined was because the writers projected the crazy/insecure/needy way they generally write their female characters on to Blaine. Somebody had to be that in their relationship per these crappy writers. Why is why I always chuckle at the reference to him as an alpha gay.

I think general, a mistake that was made was not exploring different dynamics, especially in New York when there were fewer people to work with. One of my favorite things about Community was when they'd explore different dynamics within the group. On that show, even though Troy and Abed were very close, you'd get a story between Troy and Britta, or a random story with Abed and Shirley. I really wanted more of that on Glee. I understood on Glee, you know, so many characters, so many potential relationships, but during that NYC-only part, I would've liked a Kurt/Sam story, or a a Mercedes/Artie story. I felt like the closest we got to that was the Artie/Rachel thing in New New York, and maybe kind of in ODNT with the Artie/Sam song. But it mostly was Klaine, Samcedes, and Rachel, and sometimes Artie would do a thing that was generally irrelevant. I was let down. 

• Love 5

Too many fake or real  pregnancies and too many engagements.

Rachel's fake pregnant and Sue's real pregnancy happened why?

Still do not  get the point of either of these.

• Love 3

I haven't watched Glee in ages but this thread caught my attention so I thought I'd offer my own thoughts. 

I wish TPTB had never written:

- Any of Quinn's story-lines after S1. It was disaster after disaster and often gave me the feeling of TPTB either absolutely hating the actress or having no clue what to do with her character after the pregnancy story-line.

- Finchel. Everything about it. Enough said.

- The version of NYC they gave us because ugh...what a waste of potential beats (both dramatic and humorous) flushed down the drain.

- St Kurt

- Blaine. They should've stuck to their original idea of Sam being the new gay kid for Kurt. They didn't and we got Blaine and Sam, the Village Idiot™.

- Stretching out Brittana for so long. After a season of it you could see exactly why the relationship wouldn't have lasted past high school. The fact that it's still being pushed now is just so they can claim to have a realistic lesbian relationship on their show.

- The second coming of Shelby and her dalliance with Puck (ick).

- The new kids.

- Sue and her baby.

- The "evolution" of Becky.

What I wish they had written:

- A better NYC

- More VA as protagonists instead of shoe-horning Sue in every season.

- And the biggest one: FRIENDSHIPS INSTEAD OF RELATIONSHIPS. Quinn/Mercedes, Rachel/Puck, Kurt/Quinn, Rachel/Mercedes, Puck/Sam, Puck/Mike, Mike/Brittany, Kurt/Santana etc any combination of characters really.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 4

I wish they didn't use the closing down of Glee club for the 100/101 episodes. Even though it may be slightly depressing, I think that's the best way to actually end the show. Mainly cause the show started with Will's arc, so it makes sense (to me anyway) to close on Will's arc. Of course to make it an uplifting series finale a gentle tweak was all that was needed and instead of closing it down, it could have been Will moving away from Lima and his glee club saying farewell to him.

I still think graduating the class was a mistake, and if they truly wanted to have people graduate they needed to introduce the newbies a lot earlier so they didn't feel shoehorned into it.

My ideal ending for the show is some sort of goodbye song that features everybody and anybody who was ever in the WMHS Glee club. This even includes the original newbies. And that song would only feature the vocals of actual members none of the anonymous vocals

My Ideal Glee ending: 
In keeping with the rumor that Glee would have a St. Elsewhere-like ending, my last scene of eppy 12 would be a shot of the the gang concluding their binge-watch of the unaired episodes of Rachel's failed show, effectively wiping out season 6 (include meta conversations about the WTF of it all). Then, I'd use the last episode, which I assume is now going to be "2009", to show everyone's then vs. now to tie up all the loose ends and show how glee changed everybody's lives for the better.  The End.

....................but that's just me.

• Love 2

I wish that they didn't give Gwyneth a song in the 101 episode, as it meant that Total Eclipse Of The Heart got cut  and I was really wanting to see that on film. On CD it sounds great so I always wanted to know how the visuals matched.

I'm second to no one in my admiration for Naya and Amber's singing voices, and I think they should have sang more in competitions (especially Amber/Mercedes) but I hated the whole Troubletones SL especially the chicken shit resolution.

To have the Troubletones do a number at competition separate from the rest of ND (IIRC they might have added Quinn or Tina) while ND didn't perform just sucked so badly and refuted the whole "family" shtick. 

• Love 1

Here was what I wanted for Finchel:

1. Nobody from McKinley got into NYADA

2. Finn got no football scholarship and failed to get into PACE. 

3. Facing the prospect of both of them ending up Lima Losers, they pack up Finns truck and just drive to NYC.

4. They find that shoebox apartment and land lowly jobs: Finn a mechanic or tire guy; Rachel a waitress in an outer-borough restaurant 

5. Rachel auditions but fails to land anything, so they both decide to study music at a different school. Queens College, perhaps.

6. In the meantime, they form a band with some classmates (called "Finchel", natch)

7. Write songs together and live rich happy lives with nothing handed to them.  

8. If Finn dies, so be it. At least he died living a dignified life. And Rachel can struggle on, paying her dues until eventually achieving her dreams.

Edited by Omnihelix
  • Love 2

I'm second to no one in my admiration for Naya and Amber's singing voices, and I think they should have sang more in competitions (especially Amber/Mercedes) but I hated the whole Troubletones SL especially the chicken shit resolution.

To have the Troubletones do a number at competition separate from the rest of ND (IIRC they might have added Quinn or Tina) while ND didn't perform just sucked so badly and refuted the whole "family" shtick.

I don't understand what you mean by "family" schtick.  Shue never treated Mercedes like "family".  His blatant favoritism of Rachel (and Finn) to the detriment of everyone else (especially Mercedes) was the impetus for the whole Troubletones story arc in the first place.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 1

I don't understand what you mean by "family" schtick. Shue never treated Mercedes like "family". His blatant favoritism of Rachel (and Finn) to the detriment of everyone else

(especially Mercedes) was the impetus for the

whole Troubletones story arc in the first

place.

I don't think anyone is refuting that. I think what some people are saying is that giving the TroubleTones a guaranteed number in competitions was also unfair.

New Directions was suppose to be a single Glee choir.   It wasn't suppose to be two separate Glee choirs,  one to specifically cater to three ex members who bolted.  If Mercedes, Santana and Brittany were featured in a ND number so be it, but having two separate choirs was just stupid.

Guaranteeing Rachel and then the Troubletones numbers was just doubling down on the unfairness of it all.

Edited by caracas1914

I've never been in a high school show choir, and I'm sure they would have typical lead singers that they would go to often to perform, but I never thought they would be automatically guaranteed the solos and duets. The show always seemed unfair.

I've never been in a high school show choir, and I'm sure they would have typical lead singers that they would go to often to perform, but I never thought they would be automatically guaranteed the solos and duets. The show always seemed unfair.

I'm sure there was someone on this forum who was and said they auditioned for leads every time and if you got one in one competition that ruled you out of auditioning next time.

I think that would've been great for generating storylines on Glee.

New Directions was suppose to be a single Glee choir.   It wasn't suppose to be two separate Glee choirs,  one to specifically cater to three ex members who bolted.  If Mercedes, Santana and Brittany were featured in a ND number so be it, but having two separate choirs was just stupid.

Guaranteeing Rachel and then the Troubletones numbers was just doubling down on the unfairness of it all.

It is not canon that anything was guaranteed to Rachel though in that agreement.  It could  have back fired on Rachel as it did when she threw the duet compensation. 

I still have to chuckle at the thought of Rachel being Will's favorite.  Beside giving her songs (for competitions not everything like school assemblies) he never went to bat for her when she was getting insulted or got into trouble.  He punished her and not others at times ( push it), didn't give in to her demands like TT, and heck he didn't even call on her in class.  

Edited by tom87

How is it unfair, if none of the other choir members were demanding solos/features? In season 3, I don't remember anyone specifically asking to be featured, other than the TTones or (maybe) Rachel. In canon, the ND seemed to agree that they would let the TTones get a feature. Quinn supported it, Rachel supporting it, Shue supported it, and no one else argued with it.

How is it unfair, if none of the other choir members were demanding solos/features? In season 3, I don't remember anyone specifically asking to be featured, other than the TTones or (maybe) Rachel. In canon, the ND seemed to agree that they would let the TTones get a feature. Quinn supported it, Rachel supporting it, Shue supported it, and no one else argued with it.

As far as we know no-one else knew about it.

Tina kicked off in Props when she wasn't, rightly, considered for a solo.

I still have to chuckle at the thought of Rachel being Will's favorite.  Beside giving her songs (for competitions not everything like school assemblies) he never went to bat for her when she was getting insulted or got into trouble.  He punished her and not others at times ( push it), didn't give in to her demands like TT, and heck he didn't even call on her in class.

She never asked for anything but sings, and she got them all. No matter who's feelings got hurt.

EH.  I always saw the Troubletones resolution as yet another example of Will being a terrible teacher and an even worse Show Choir Director.  BTW, none of that changes the fact that I never gave a sh*t about Hummelberry in NY and wanted to see of a spinoff of the TroubleTones in LA.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 2

EH.  I always saw the Troubletones resolution as yet another example of Will being a terrible teacher and an even worse Show Choir Director.  BTW, none of that changes the fact that I never gave a sh*t about Hummelberry in NY and wanted to see of a spinoff of the TroubleTones in LA.

I would actually pay money for this. For a non-RIB Troubletones spin-off, that is.

• Love 1

It was canon that Kurt wanted to featured in solos.   Besides that, guaranteeing them a number was wrong, regardless if anyone else voiced they wanted one or not.

We may be splitting hairs, I wanted Mercedes/Santana in numbers, I just didn't like how the show did it.

Edited by caracas1914

Seriously, why didn't they just go ahead and have Sam and Blaine fuck? Why is it that this show is willing to have Brittany be bisexual, but Sam wasn't allowed to be? Why isn't male bisexuality allowed to show up on this show?

^I can't see Chord being down with that tbh. I keep trying to picture it, and nope.

They should have seriously explored Puck/Rachel IMO. Also they were dumb as hell not to snatch up Groff permanently while they had the chance. I think even they know they were stupid for the latter, which is why they keep bringing him back.

• Love 2

Seriously, why didn't they just go ahead and have Sam and Blaine fuck? Why is it that this show is willing to have Brittany be bisexual, but Sam wasn't allowed to be? Why isn't male bisexuality allowed to show up on this show?

I also can't see Chord being okay with being paired up with a male coworker (he has made it clear over the year he prefers his blond, female coworkers) but moreso: It would destroy Ryan's fantasy of straight white male dudebros worshipping white male alphagays.

If he's not down with it, I wonder why he was even cast (since he was initially meant to be Kurt's bf). He's really not that talented either, and I never saw the alleged chemistry between him and Diana. It...makes no sense.

Also, the one male bisexual was the sexy santa guy. And that was not good representation.

The reason we don't have that is because every vile thing Kurt said about bisexuality in BIOTA RM probably believes. They don't exist. -eyes rolling-

• Love 1

My main problem with the whole Troubletones story arc was that for 2 seasons they struggled to fill 12 positions, but with the creation of a 2nd Glee club they suddenly had no problem roping in pariticpants to fill the 2nd tram. And then when they went to nationals I found it very jarring that the anonymous TroubleTones just disappeared after Edge of Glory. They should have at least just swayed in the background or something for the other 2 numbers from McKinley High.

While I'm not sure it wold have been necessary for Sam/Blaine to go all the way, it might have been a decent story to have Sam explore the possibility and then decide it wasn't for him.

While I'm not sure it wold have been necessary for Sam/Blaine to go all the way, it might have been a decent story to have Sam explore the possibility and then decide it wasn't for him.

I don't know that I even needed that storyline - if Sam knew he was straight, he was straight. The storyline I didn't want was Blaine constantly pining for him and Sam flexing around being like "Yeah, he wants to bone me."

Also, the one male bisexual was the sexy santa guy. And that was not good representation.

The reason we don't have that is because every vile thing Kurt said about bisexuality in BIOTA RM probably believes. They don't exist. -eyes rolling-

And the women bisexuals stray for penis.

• Love 3

They should have seriously explored Puck/Rachel IMO. Also they were dumb as hell not to snatch up Groff permanently while they had the chance. I think even they know they were stupid for the latter, which is why they keep bringing him back.

I agree with both of this. I kind of feel they were so married to a Finchel end that they wouldn't give Rachel (or Finn) another viable love interest . They could of easily done Puck/Rachel instead of Lauren where in the end they decided they are better off friends.

As for Jesse I wonder why they cut Hello 12 out. They are adorable in that and sound great.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 3

Honestly, even though my preference was for a relationship (and hot, hot makeouts), I can not fathom why they had to drop the Puck/Rachel friendship as well. They had some seriously fun moments in Season 2 and then...nothing. They had chemistry and played off each other well, there was no reason they couldn't have continued with a friendship or even a sibling-esque dynamic, especially with her dating his best friend. Even people who didn't ship it enjoyed their scenes together, and it would have still fed the shippers something.

Edited by SNeaker
  • Love 4
Honestly, even though my preference was for a relationship (and hot, hot makeouts), I can not fathom why they had to drop the Puck/Rachel friendship as well.

I understood it from a Finn/Puck friendship standpoint.  Puck had screwed Finn over twice and after that duet to make Finn jealous in the Superbowl episode Puck approached Finn.  This was the dialog:

Puck: We used to be best friends before I got your girlfriend pregnant, and then made out with your other girlfriend and Yeah. Anyways I gotta be honest. I really want to win this game, and I figure it's the only way us Glee studs are ever gonna get any respect around here.

Finn: What's your point? 

Puck: My point is that none of that's gonna happen unless you and I become allies again, like Maverick and Iceman at the end of Top Gun.

Finn: So why'd sing that duet with Rachel? 

Rachel Flashback: I need you to do this number with me to make Finn jealous.

Puck:Nothing like that will ever happen again.

Seems to me Puck decided his friendship with Finn was more important than a fledgling friendship with Rachel.  Not that Finn gave him an ultimatum.  Rather Puck decided on his own that building any sort of relationship with Rachel, friendship or otherwise, just wasn't a good idea especially since he freely admitted to being attracted to her.  

As much of a jackhole Finn became in the very next episode in regards to Quinn/Sam,  I think he had every right to be totally ticked off at Rachel/Puck's "let's make Finn jealous" duet in this episode.  Frankly if he told Puck to piss off and never talked to him again after that I would have felt he was completely justified.  

Edited by camussie

I don't think screwing over your best friend twice, with one of those times involving him and his mother spending their hard earned money supporting a pregnancy that is your responsibility (along with the pregnant girl's), noble. Puck deciding to back away from a Rachel friendship is a small sacrifice, as far as I am concerned, compared to what Finn chose to forgive in regards to Puck.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

Honestly, even though my preference was for a relationship (and hot, hot makeouts), I can not fathom why they had to drop the Puck/Rachel friendship as well. They had some seriously fun moments in Season 2 and then...nothing. They had chemistry and played off each other well, there was no reason they couldn't have continued with a friendship or even a sibling-esque dynamic, especially with her dating his best friend. Even people who didn't ship it enjoyed their scenes together, and it would have still fed the shippers something.

Glee doesn't do friendships between people of compatible sexualities. 

• Love 2

There were plenty of Puck/Rachel moments after that Finn/Puck discussion (including in the same episode -- that moment on the field) throughout the rest of season 2. I never thought that conversation was him saying "I'll stay completely away from Rachel" but "No more getting involved in her schemes to make you jealous."

Glee doesn't do friendships between people of compatible sexualities.

Except they did. Until they didn't.

Edited by SNeaker
I wish Rachel found out about the Finn/Puck conversation and told Finn off for trying to dictate who could be friends with her.

Where in that conversation did Finn dictate that Puck couldn't be friends with Rachel?  Finn simply asked Puck why he sang that duet with Rachel, when Puck knew dang well the point of it was to make Finn jealous.  That is a legitimate question for Finn to ask his supposed best friend.  Puck then decided on his own not to really be a part of Rachel's circle anymore

There were plenty of Puck/Rachel moments after that Finn/Puck discussion (including in the same episode -- that moment on the field) throughout the rest of season 2. I never thought that conversation was him saying "I'll stay completely away from Rachel" but "No more getting involved in her schemes to make you jealous."

There were moments, including the Barbra intervention, but Puck never really hung out with Rachel after the Superbowl episode and after the Barbra intervention I don't think they have spoken more than 10 words to each other.  

Edited by camussie

Except they did. Until they didn't.

I can't recall any substantial friendship on Glee, with zero romantic content, between two people of compatible sexualities.

Well I just meant that they gave Puck and Rachel some cute moments and dialogue in Season 2 and could have continued to do so.

Also, the topic is called "I wish." :)

Edited by SNeaker

That's the thing with this show; the one mistake they made was having an ensemble cast and NOT mixing up the pairings/friendships. They often just stuck with the same pairings, like Finn/Rachel, Kurt/Blaine, Santana/Brittany, then later Kurt/Rachel, Rachel/Santana, Sam/Blaine. I remember season 1, I was rooting for Kurt/Quinn to be friends. They both have a fiestyness that worked well, and they even had a one-on-one scene early on that made me go 'oh hey, they would be interesting friends!'. And then they did nothing with it. Then they stopped the Mercedes/Kurt friendship which was one of my favourite aspects of early season Glee, and opted for the boring and predictable Kurt/Rachel. Kurt/Rachel make perfect frenemies, but not great friends. 

And, of course, Puck/Rachel were one of those pairings which I wanted them to explore more. Their one episode romance was hilarious and still well done. I get why they didn't (with Puck already 0/1 with Finn/Quinn) but Puck/Rachel as friends could have made for an entertaining few seasons. Having them pair up for schemes would have been fantastic to see, as both of them seem like the type to do whatever to meet their goals...ok, Rachel's goals, at least. Puck would have gladly helped her out with Finn being the actual voice of reason. So I wish they did more of the random pairings. It's an ENSEMBLE SHOW, guys. Use it to your advantage. Jeez. It's not that hard to write two characters together, even for just a scene. Yet, it seemed like they thought the show would tank if they did that, so they opted for the copious amounts of boyfriend/girlfriend scenes.

• Love 3

Well I just meant that they gave Puck and Rachel some cute moments and dialogue in Season 2 and could have continued to do so.

Also, the topic is called "I wish." :)

Well you said you couldn't fathom why they dropped a Rachel/Puck friendship, and I think that's the reason why. These writers have zero ability to write platonic friendships between people who would or could have a romantic relationship. I don't think they can imagine a world where compatible guys and gals don't wanna fuck each other. 

While we're wishing, I wish they had let Cheyenne Jackson sing when he was guest starring. I still don't understand the point of getting a Broadway veteran if you're not going to let him sing.

Then they stopped the Mercedes/Kurt friendship which was one of my favourite aspects of early season Glee, and opted for the boring and predictable Kurt/Rachel. Kurt/Rachel make perfect frenemies, but not great friends. 

They also dropped Mercedes/Quinn like a hot potato too. 

• Love 1