Type keyword(s) to search

I Wish: Storylines They Never Did.

jaytee1812

They also dropped Mercedes/Quinn like a hot potato too.

I know! And I thought that had potential. I mean Mercedes let Quinn live with her at the end of her pregnancy. And then when Quinn had Beth besides Puck and her mom, she asked for Mercedes to be in the delivery room with her. There's a picture of it and everything.That seems like a pretty major thing that might bond two people. They also seemed to share a similar faith and did the whole God Squad thing. "Cherish'Cherish" is still one of my fave mash-ups because we got a Mercedes/Quinn song out of it. Oh Glee.......so many missed opportunities. 

• Love 1

Honestly, even though my preference was for a relationship (and hot, hot makeouts), I can not fathom why they had to drop the Puck/Rachel friendship as well. They had some seriously fun moments in Season 2 and then...nothing. They had chemistry and played off each other well, there was no reason they couldn't have continued with a friendship or even a sibling-esque dynamic, especially with her dating his best friend. Even people who didn't ship it enjoyed their scenes together, and it would have still fed the shippers something.

I always thought that Puck/Rachel was everything RIB had wanted Finn/Rachel to be, hence why they cooled off of even a friendship. Two completely people from two different worlds, who just fit together in some odd way. Unlike Finn, Kurt, and now Sam, Puck was able to bring Rachel down to Earth in a way that wasn't patronizing or holier than thou (maybe because unlike the other guys, the writers don't believe that Puck has any higher moral ground, due to him being the stereotypical "bad boy"?). He also seemed to like her brand of crazy, and not scared of it, like with Finn.

I think this is how they wanted Finn and Rachel to be, and knew the Puck/Rachel relationship made their main couple look bad in comparison IMO. Same thing with Jesse. That's why they have Blaine dating Dave and Kurt dating AARP guys and "college" guys that look middle age. They learned from their previous mistakes. No bringing on someone who has a chance of threatening endgame ships.

Edited by Danielle87
  • Love 3

No bringing on someone who has a chance of threatening endgame ships.

But that's so dumb.

One of the things I will always appreciate about community was not having of this "endgame" crap. In season one, you could tell they were setting up Britta/Jeff and Annie/Troy. However, they realized Annie/Jeff had more chemistry, so we get endless Annie/Jeff tease. Britta/Troy dated a bit during the gas leak year but fortunately it was undone. That's also a show better at doing friendships though, and they generally didn't do a lot of romantic plots...

But that aside, this concept of endgame is hella dumb. During six years, on a strong show, things change, new relationships form, and sometimes later ships end up creating some interesting stories (even though I hate it, see Spuffy on Buffy). New characters can actually bring out interesting things in characters, and it's part of the reason I was pissed about how Kurt/Adam ended. I never shipped it, but damn it, we coulda had character growth. Uuuuugh.

• Love 2

I don't think Puck/Rachel made Puck/Finn look bad in comparison.  I think they backed off on it because of of a few factors.  The main one was Mark Salling simply was not a good enough actor to be lead.  There was also the Puck/Finn friendship thing in that Puck cheating with the second of Finn's girlfriends made him the worst best friend ever.  Hard to keep selling him as the lovable bad boy after that crud.  Then there was the wanted to do the comic relief Lauren/Puck romance (which I think was a direction also informed by Mark Salling's limitations as an actor).

Finally, while I totally get some liked the chemistry of Puck/Rachel and/or Jesse/Rachel, better than Finn/Rachel  those couples would have been just as dysfunctional as Finn/Rachel were if they had been the focus Finn/Rachel got throughout the years.  Why?  Because RM & team couldn't write relationships.  Even with the small amount of focus Jesse/Rachel got Jesse was manipulating Rachel in regards to her mom (and it amazes me that more people don't see that as a huge betrayal.  I don't care if it was so Shelby got back door her way in so she wouldn't get sued.  Jesse and Shelby playing with Rachel longing like that for her mom was heinous especially given how it ended up) and smashing eggs on her head.  

As for endgames I agree they shouldn't have been set in stone, but I also don't agree with this idea that all endgame couples are just dumb.  On a well written show an endgame couple can work.  Glee and many other shows are not well written especially since so many showrunners have bought into the "Moonlighting curse."

Edited by camussie

I think with Puck/Rachel and Jesse/Rachel, there's also the novelty factor. Maybe this will be better! But probably not, in the long term. I also think Finn could come off as, I don't know, not as interesting to people, when even though I'm not his biggest fan, he was probably one of the closer to realistic characters.

I know I'll always wonder about if other mid games have been given a chance, like a real chance, how things could've gone. Or if they hadn't gone the pair-everyone-up route. This was a show too afraid of its shippers.

Edited by phoenixrising
  • Love 1

I don't think Puck/Rachel made Puck/Finn look bad in comparison.  I think they backed off on it because of of a few factors.  The main one was Mark Salling simply was not a good enough actor to be lead.  There was also the Puck/Finn friendship thing in that Puck cheating with the second of Finn's girlfriends made him the worst best friend ever. Then there was the wanted to do the comic relief Lauren/Puck romance (which I think was a direction also informed by Mark Salling's limitations as an actor).

Finally while I totally get some liked the chemistry of Puck/Rachel and/or Jesse/Rachel better than Finn/Rachel  those couples would have been just as dysfunctional as Finn/Rachel were if they had been the focus Finn/Rachel got throughout the years.  Why?  Because RM & team couldn't write relationships.  Even with the small amount of focus Jesse/Rachel got Jesse was manipulating Rachel in regards to her mom (and it amazes me that more people don't see that as a huge betrayal.  I don't care if it was so Shelby got back door her way in so she wouldn't get sued.  Jesse and Shelby playing with Rachel longing like that for her mom was heinous especially given how it ended up) and smashing eggs on her head.  

Maybe. But it would have been nice to see Rachel in a relationship for once where she as a woman isn't getting lectured like a child by a man. That wouldn't have happened with Puck or Jesse because she'd have the higher moral ground in the relationship. Also, Lea and Cory had like -1424242 chemistry. Tons of chemistry in real life, in character, like none at all. I can deal with bad writing if the chemistry is there, but Rachel and Finn didn't even have that, in addition to Cory's limitations as a singer. Lea has chemistry with Mark and Groff on screen in spades so even if it all went to hell, I'd at least have some damn good duets, and fun on screen chemistry to entertain me.

• Love 3

I saw a lot of chemistry between Cory and Lea later in the series (like season 3). I never really saw it with Lea/Mark, but definitely with Jon/Lea (although after finding out he was gay and her best friend, they got slightly weird to watch together.)

Also, Puck's lectured Quinn, and I have a feeling based on the promo that Jesse might end up being a lecturer too.

• Love 1
Maybe. But it would have been nice to see Rachel in a relationship for once where she as a woman isn't getting lectured like a child by a man. That wouldn't have happened with Puck or Jesse because she'd have the higher moral ground in the relationship. Also, Lea and Cory had like -1424242 chemistry. Tons of chemistry in real life, in character, like none at all. I can deal with bad writing if the chemistry is there, but Rachel and Finn didn't even have that, in addition to Cory's limitations as a singer. Lea has chemistry with Mark and Groff on screen in spades so even if it all went to hell, I'd at least have some damn good duets, and fun on screen chemistry to entertain me.

Chemistry is completely subjective.  I think Rachel/Finn had more chemistry than Rachel/Puck and just as much in a different way than Jesse/Rachel.  To me Jesse/Rachel made great co-stars but not great romantic partners.  I always felt like they were performing with each other, even in romantic moments, rather than being with each other.  Also I saw Jesse lecture Rachel when it came to her talent.  Puck never lectured Rachel but he also never was that deeply involved with her.  The girl he was deeply involved with, Quinn, he lectured plenty.  

As for Cory's limitations as a singer I agree Jonathan and Lea are far superior duet partners but I don't think Mark & Lea were.  Mainly because Mark never really seemed to grow in the role. Cory started out more limited but he got much better over the years.  Mark started out okay and stayed there - both as a singer and an actor.  

Edited by camussie

I liked Finn and Rachel chemistry just fine.  I like it was bit awkward and believe it was directed to be that way.

I liked Puck and Rachel too cause it was different they didn't try be different people.  But yeah long term Mark's acting limitations would have limited them as a lead couple.

Jesse and Rachel were great together imo.   I think Jesse  really did care for her but go caught up in the competition.  

Its like they are 3 were a fit in a different way. 

To be  liked, or to be herself or to be a star.

Edited by tom87

I really wish they'd never set the endgames so early and been so adamant in never deviating from them. It's like if you are reading a book and after the first chapter, the author gives you the last chapter and then expects you to read the book and still be interested/invested in the book and the characters. That makes for boring storytelling.

I liked the friendship (what little we were allowed) between Puck and Rachel. I never bought Finn and Rachel as an endgame couple because they were just so wrong for each other and I hated that Finn was portrayed as a "hero" no matter what he did wrong. (Santana slapping him was one of the most satisfying scenes. ) What he did to Brody, well that came off as possessive obsessive creepiness.

I think for Jesse, it started as a favor for Shelby and ended up with him unexpectedly falling for Rachel. I prefer her with Jesse because he never cheated on her or with her; he actually listens to her and he believes in her 100%. He also seems to have matured, and since Groff was not available to be a regular on Glee the writers haven't been able to destroy his character (at least so far, but there is still time for them to mess him up ). Lastly, I love them singing together and on a purely superficial note, there is the hotness.

Another thing the writers failed at was the show choir competitions after the srcond season.

The way they write the show choir competitions is boring. There is no anxiety or anticipation of the outcome over the past few seasons.

Edited by Casual Viewing
  • Love 4

Looking at all the "first/last" gifsets for characters on tumblr (first/last solo, duet, kiss, line, etc) has made me realize how much I wish that they had said goodbye to characters over the course of the season and given them a last "goodbye" solo. Instead of trying to cram flash forwards and throwaway lines about where people ended up in the last episode it would have been nice to spread it out a bit (like the final season of ER) so that there was time to sing, share their future plans, and part ways from the rest of the group.

I really wish that when Will was away in Washington, they found a way in the Christmas episode to use the song Christmas Eve With You. I really enjoy that song and lyrically it could have worked in showing Emma and Will missing one another. But no I am doubting myself about if Will was ever in Washington during a Christmas episode.

Wasn't that the Christmas from hell where Santana made the random roofie joke that was not even slightly funny? Nothing good came of that. It's like they got told to make a Christmas episode and were really angry at the demand.

Mattcedes as a ship, or even endgame. It wouldve been out of nowhere and unexpected, but Dijon Talton is not a bad looking guy at all, and it wouldve made sense for Matt Rutherford to come back to McKinley 5 years in the future if he was with Mercedes. Heck he couldve even been "Tank", its not as if Sam would even know who Matt is beyind hearing his name in passing a couple times.

I was referring to Previously Unaired Christmas where Kurt got tied up and ambiguously sexually assaulted and Santana blew it off with a roofie joke. Nobody went to the cops because they were too ashamed of whatever. And welcome to rape culture ladies and gents. Once it gets sexual nobody calls the cops because you will only be blamed for having the libido whatever god you believe in gave you.

I was referring to Previously Unaired Christmas where Kurt got tied up and ambiguously sexually assaulted and Santana blew it off with a roofie joke. Nobody went to the cops because they were too ashamed of whatever. And welcome to rape culture ladies and gents. Once it gets sexual nobody calls the cops because you will only be blamed for having the libido whatever god you believe in gave you.

I thought everyone got drunk of their own volition, then Kurt and Sexy Santa went off for some sexy times light bondage and once Kurt was (consensually) tied up, Santa robbed the place.  It's entirely possible I'm not remembering it correctly though.

I thought everyone got drunk of their own volition, then Kurt and Sexy Santa went off for some sexy times light bondage and once Kurt was (consensually) tied up, Santa robbed the place.  It's entirely possible I'm not remembering it correctly though.

You're not. Kurt said that Sexy Santa got angry and the bondage was not consensual. It was really a bad idea to go there considering his history. I'm not sure if that episode is canon or not. I'm not sure anybody knows that, but making Kurt a victim of sexual abuse again was a bad idea.

ETA: Normally I'd recommend watching again, but I would not recommend watching that episode again to my worst enemy on earth or any other planet.

Edited by ComfySweater

They all got drunk, but Santa put something in the punch, so Rachel and Santana would pass out. I don't know if he also drugged Kurt: it doesn't seem so as Kurt was wide awake when Santana and Rachel untied him.

Kurt wanted to have (consensual) sex with Santa, but he didn't want to be tied up.

They did go to the police: Rachel mentions it at the end of the episode.

They did go to the police: Rachel mentions it at the end of the episode.

Don't make me watch again, but didn't they say they don't go because of shame? Rachel tries to be the voice of reason and wants to, but when she's absolutely right shame wins the day and Kurt doesn't want to talk about what happened to him. Whatever it was.

I hate arguing facts, but I really, really don't want to watch that mess again.

IIRC Kurt had the hots for Santa , they were role playing and when Kurt didn't want to be Rudolph " Rough trade Santa' stopped being so jolly and tied him up.

Rachel did inform the police what happened.

Kurt was sexually attracted to another man.

The red hot hatred that Klainers and Blaine stans have for that episode is through the roof.

I love that episode.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3
Parts of it were funny but then like the fact that it makes no sense in the timeframe of the show and CM not being here anymore and the fact that in the timeframe the show was saying it was in, he was alive. Plus I hated the Noobs storyline. And Will should have been in DC but I think he was at Mckinley during the ep because they were doing some strange christmas show thing. But the episode Never feels right. It was ten times better than the Christmas episode the year before which was "Glee, actually" that made no damn sense and was pointless but, I don't know. I just always feel off about it.

Exactly the way I feel.  Parts were genuinely entertaining but it will never sit right with me that they set an alternative episode in the time when Finn was alive and wrote him out with no explanation as if he never existed.  I still find that so very tacky.  

Keeping to the "I wish" theme I wish they had one line in the episode that Finn went with Carol to visit some relatives or something like that.  

Edited by camussie

While I thought "Love Child" was the only New Direction number with the Noobs that was ever genuinely crack funny, It made no sense to set it at a time when in the original timeline Finn was at McKinley and Will was away.

So if they had just had the whole episode set in NY with Kurt/Rachel/Santana would have been perfectly fine.  But of course no frigging way Ryan and company would have allowed that. 

IMO the worst storyline, bar none, that Glee ever did was that reprehensible "Shooting Star."

It's not that as dark and disturbing as that subject is you can't handle it on TV, but that they used the topicality of that subject in the most exploitative way possible.  People who commit shootings on school  have deep emotional and mental  issues, hatred and self loathing.  That is a given and its a tragedy in part because of our mental health system.  Fuck,  it is sick just to carry a loaded weapon to a school.

For over four years Glee made  the point over and over  that Becky could be as rude, abrasive, a bitch and sexually taunting as any non mentally challenged person.  Ryan seemed to relish flipping things around with her.  And he did it again when he gave her that boyfriend this season.    However he made Becky be the "100 percent  accidental"   shootist in the "Shooting Star" episode precisely because it gave the episode a safe chicken shit  "out".  No repercussions and even making Sue "noble" for covering it up.  WHAT THE FUCK.

What is insane is supposedly Ryan Murphy is a parent and I'm supposing most of the incompetent Glee writers.  Yet this was the shooting in a school plot they came up with.  The Glee writers could not possibly handle such a sensitive storyline.

Glee basically said, " Look people, it's not that serious! It's mentally challenged and disabled Becky who did the shooting!  She's not in her full senses so IT DOESN'T  COUNT. She didn't mean any of it! Look how scared poor little  Becky is!  Like that doesn't completely insult the real life issue on so so many levels.

So when it was convenient and chicken shit, THEN  Ryan  and company use her disability for the most exploitative episode ever. 

After that it was back to , so what if Becky is rude, offensive, ec, ...don't put her in a box.  Unless they need another shooting.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2
Kurt was sexually attracted to another man.

The red hot hatred that Klainers and Blaine stans have for that episode is through the roof.

True but at the same time, one can argue that those who hated Blaine and loathed Klaine were eager to ignore the questionable parts of the story because "Kurt being hot and raunchy with a guy who isn't Blaine...yeah!!!"  I do get what ComfySweater is saying with regards to the storyline and it is another in the long, long line of simple things that the writers found a way to screw up. 

I remember when the episode aired, I thought it would have been so simple to have had it be as it started - Kurt, Rachel and Santana all willingly got wild and wasted with some strange guy. Kurt hooks up with the guy because he's horny and the guy is hot and a great time is had by all. After everyone passes out, the guy decides "oh what the hell" and robs them. They still get kind of screwed over but it's largely through their own fault.

Instead the whole thing got unnecessarily ambiguously creepy. There was whole roofie thing that I wasn't sure if they knew they were on something or if the guy supposedly slipped them something. The line Kurt said about the guy no longer being jolly did make you wonder if he got rough or even violent with Kurt to tie him up so he could rob the place. Kurt then later makes the comment that the guy only wanted to rob them which kind of sounded like he played Kurt the entire time so he had no attraction to him but just saw him as the more obvious and horny mark. It's amazing to me how many Kurt fans love that episode because I felt at the time and even now that it ended with him almost being made into a joke.

He spent most of the time aggressively throwing himself at a hot guy whose only interest in him turned out to be opportunistic so he could rob them. And then he ended up tied up in his underwear. And wasn't there also some joke about his mouth or teeth which I pretty much assumed was some blow job related thing. Again, I got the whole adult comedy aspect of the whole thing and it was nice to see the NY trio acting like young people on their own being a little wild. I just thought it got unnecessarily creepy. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Don't make me watch again, but didn't they say they don't go because of shame? Rachel tries to be the voice of reason and wants to, but when she's absolutely right shame wins the day and Kurt doesn't want to talk about what happened to him. Whatever it was.

I hate arguing facts, but I really, really don't want to watch that mess again.

They definitely did go to the police. Rachel even mentions that the police said they were lucky it didn't get any worse.

What you possibly remember is Kurt asking Santana not to tell anyone at home (especially Blaine) about it because he's ashamed.

I'm gonna add my 2 cents as a Kurtsie about PUC in the Episodes Thread as well.

It's amazing to me how many Kurt fans love that episode because I felt at the time and even now that it ended with him almost being made into a joke.

Truthbeluv, I'm more than aware with the episode's issues, LOL.   Howerver I took it as cracky adult humor, and yes, the only time Kurt had any non Blaine PDA was with a Santa casing the joint, but I think part of it's surreal element was that someone would not be attracted to Kurt, Santana or Rachel.  I did love how Santa said  while he was making out with Kurt told the girls he swung both ways, it was just so twisted.  

Of course Kurt had to learn a moral lesson, he couldn't just have a fun fuck, no way, no how.

However  Kurt actually had a sex drive and pulse away from Blaine, which was different since the fans and the show  usually was at such pains to make Kurt  this vestal virgin who could only be attracted to Blaine. 

The writers were all over the place , they seemed scared shitless of the Klainers and yet at the end they mocked them endlessly so what was the point?

Not gonna lie, I think my favorite crackship out there is Quinn and Mike. Maybe because they're called Fabang. LOL there's just something about it that I could get into.

• Love 2
However  Kurt actually had a sex drive and pulse away from Blaine, which was different since the fans and the show  usually was at such pains to make Kurt  this vestal virgin who could only be attracted to Blaine.

I know many Kurt fans saw this as the writers having him learn a lesson because he wasn't allowed to be sexual and that this was maybe only on him but honestly, I felt they did this with both Blaine and Kurt to some extent. And it's another reason the storyline bothered me so much. Neither Kurt nor Blaine were ever really given the chance to be truly sexually aggressive people, in my opinion. This is why I've said that both were never truly allowed to move on, imo, even temporarily. And with regards to being sexual people - the whole Christmas incident bugged me because I felt that what the writers did was only have Blaine and Kurt act like sexually active guys genuinely interested in sex only when it led to bad things, as a way "to teach them a lesson."

Blaine's hookup came when he was with Kurt to only serve the purpose of breaking them up and it was an act that immediately led to shame and disgust at himself. It wasn't by any means a fun or good experience. And Kurt's hookup or almost hookup was with a guy who just used him to rob his apartment and who may or may not have violently manhandled him. But other than those two incidents, together they were a couple of sexless, neutered people. Kurt's relationship with Adam didn't even have a kiss. And I don't think ANYONE wanted to imagine Blaine/Karofsky and Kurt/Walter going at it and both relationships were pretty much created to be awful and almost like jokes anyway.

The writers were all over the place , they seemed scared shitless of the Klainers and yet at the end they mocked them endlessly so what was the point?

You know this is something I've been meaning to comment on for awhile. While I didn't watch the season (saw the finale), I did skim the episode threads so I had a vague idea of what was going on. The Klaine stuff was just one more of the many reasons my dislike for RIB just grew and grew. And again, why I said when the show ended, I couldn't find it in me to be emotional because I was too resentful at the shitty quality of the writing and just the arrogance and lack of self-awareness from them. 

I didn't find the Klaine stuff amusing in any way because it was pretty much Murphy and company's usual bullshit of attacking the same viewers that support them because god forbid those viewers call out some of their bullshit. I'm not saying there weren't nutty and out there fans in the Klaine fandom - because what fandom doesn't have those? My issue is the fact that RIB were I felt, from the bullshit writing, almost suggesting that Klaine was awful because of those fans and it's like WTF? No, they were awful because of THEIR shitty writing. And that's typical RIB and why I said that even something as simple as meta they sucked at and couldn't get right, just like everything else. That wasn't meta (meta is Rachel's show within the show about people singing), that was throwing shade at viewers and somehow blaming them for the show's demise instead of owning their own lazy, shitty writing. 

eta: I do always wonder how things would have worked if they had gone with the initial plan of Sam being with Kurt. I have to say I can't really see it in my head with Chord and Chris and I always actually thought that more than anything is why they changed paths. I never bought that it was because it was so spoiled because plenty of things had been spoilt on that show. I think for whatever reason the writers decided Sam and Kurt just would not work. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Given this is the I Wish thread, I wouldve loved a Kurt/Mike hook up, romance whatever. I know Mike's suppose to be straight but I don't care!

Random hook up like Santana/Quinn would have been great. Actually TV in general doesn't seem to like straight males to have a one off homosexual encounter which doesn't cause the man to be ashamed or start questioning themselves, where it just happens and pretty much is never mentioned again. Women on the other hand appear to be allowed to have a random homosexual encounter and not over analyse it. 

• Love 2

I definitely agree with that. It's far more likely for a show to feature a straight female experimenting versus a straight guy. What it says about society or more appropriately what showrunners think society will or will not accept, is interesting. It was definitely noticeable how they so casually threw in the Quinn/Santana hookup, yet despite all the annoying homoeroticism jokes that weren't really that funny, between Blaine and Sam, nothing ever happened between them. 

• Love 2