Type keyword(s) to search

I Wish: Storylines They Never Did.

jaytee1812

So with Glee coming to a close I thought about all the things we never got to see.

I would've like to have seen more from the moms. I mean even when Finn's mom was involved it felt like it centred on Burt. We really should've seen more from Quinn and her mom. I mean did Quinn just return home from having Beth and they spoke no more about it.

My own personal crushes on Jacob Artist and Aisha Tyler mean I would've like to have seen more from them. Also Jake and his mom or Jake and Puck were a billion times more interesting the Jake/Marley.

I would've loved to have seen even a little of Tina and Mercedes families. My personal head canon says Tina had a difficult home life, and I would love to have seen that on screen.

I would love to know how Artie, who wanted to be a dancer, felt about Tina dumping him for a dancer and was that the reason his next two relationships were the two best dancers in the glee club?

Anyone else?

• Love 1

Storylines I wish they did:

- Something more after Quinn was literally being hit by a truck

- More on the friendships between Quinn/Mercedes, Mike/Kurt, Puck/Mercedes, Tina/Rachel, Artie/Quinn, etc.

- Sam's original purpose of being Kurt's love interest

- A summer season where they all worked as singing/dancing characters at Cedar Point or some theme park

Storylines I wish they never did:

- Dalton/Warblers

- Newbies (their storylines were either terrible repeats of old storylines or awful plots like school shootings and catfishing)

Storylines I wish they did:

• Finn/Santana in season 2 with him going down that road because he is simply over the whole love thing after 2 girls cheated on him with Puck and her going down that road to keep up the image of being straight and popular.  Frankly that is where I thought they were going until the WTF switch back to Quinn/Finn
  • Rachel being the one to try and get Kurt back in at McKinley in season 2 partly because she feels bad over the Blaine thing and partly because she knows that kind of advocacy will look great on a performing arts school application (this would have been a humorous take on it)
  • An episode from the band's POV.  I still say "props" should have been that episode with Brad being the one to approach Carmen Tibbadeux (an old friend and lover) to give Rachel another chance.  Not because he cares about her future but rather because he is terrified she and Finn will stick around Lima/McKinley next year and since he hates all the Glee kids he wants them gone.  Also in that episode we could have seen the band's take on our glee clubbers.  Like what does the drummer think when Finn comes and takes the sticks and then hands them back so he can duet with Rachel?
  • "Glee Actually" should have been a Scrooge dream with the following 3 people:1) Kurt dreaming of the Christmas right after his mom died and his guide (Blaine) shows him how brave his dad was and this steels Kurt to be brave for his dad now; 2) Santana dreaming of Christmas present and her guide (Rachel) showing her how truly unhappy she is at Louisville.  This prompts her to leave at semester's end and go to NYC; 3) Finn dreaming of Christmas future and his guide (Artie) showing him stuck in Burt's garage while all of his friends have left and gone after their dreams.  This prompts him to enroll in Lima U and the last scene of the episode is a Rachel receiving a text showing Finn's schedule with "Beginning Music Education" as his first class
  • Develop the Quinn/Mercedes friendship more.  I would have had Mercedes be the one who helps Quinn with the whole Lucy-Goosey thing back in season 2

Stories I wish they didn't do

• Quinn's paralysis.  Just dumb all around
  • Puck actually sleeping with Shelby.  Charming her to see Beth, sure, but sleeping with her, no.
  • Finn shooting himself in the leg.  That was piling on.  Should have been a back injury or if they wanted to keep some humor him getting hit by a mail truck
  • Brody being a gigolo.  I hated the character but that was cheap storytelling.  I wish Rachel would have kicked him to the curb after he was clearly enjoying egging on the Kurt/Rachel tensions in "Diva."  Tell him that she wants to succeed but she also doesn't need to go back to the who she was back before she developed friendships to do so.
  • Isabelle being at Vogue.  I think she should have been the owner of a trendy boutique who took Kurt under her wings when she overhears the advice he is giving Rachel to try and update her wardrobe.  
  • Love 2

Wishes:

Shelby coming back to actually fix the mistake she made when she left in season 1,  not Quinn and Puck.

I still wish the focus was on the oringal glee club for a little longer.  I get though they had to have a somewhat contained first 13 episodes.

Biggest one "  In NY Rachel would have had some struggle finding her place in NYADA  and she would go on horrible auditions and do any gig no matter how stupid.   Think That Girl.   

Rachel getting to date  an older man and Kurt getting to date anyone besides Blaine.

Kurt still wish he pursued fashion.   He would come up with a inventive mash up of fashion and music that impressed  Vogue.

Get Santana to NY faster, let her do horrible local commercials.

Let Quinn ride off into the sunset never to be heard from again. I think it fits her character, there is always one person who never looked back.   The last focus she should have got when she got into Yale and sang about learning her old loves behind. 

Storyline I wish never did

Shelby - Puck and Quinn

Lucy Cabossey.

Quinn car accident.

Finn/Rachel engagement

Rachel - choke

Kurt not making NYADA first try

New kids.

Extending the school year  or aka Blam

The piling on of  Finn as loser

noobs

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

I wanted to know what happened to Jesse. I mean, St. Berry now would have been nice, but I care less about that. I really want to know about Jesse St. James - and to have good things happen to him. 

Storylines I wish they never did:

- Dalton/Warblers

This. So much. For me this was the beginning of the end of good Glee. I mean i could have written off the faggy lamp incident as a glitch but once they lost their tone doing the Warblers and Blaine and St. Kurt, they never got it back. 

I think having Rachel  and company have misadventures in NY was such a lost opportunity.  Rachel in horrific auditions, Kurt trying to navigate gay dating in the big bad city, Finn and Puck trying to start an indie band, Mercedes hitting the pavement working at small venues, and Santana trying out at jazz bars and painting the town red.

It could have been a running joke how they all had expiration date LI's or dates, sort of like Seinfeld with music and choreography.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 5

I think having Rachel and company have misadventures in NY was such a lost opportunity. Rachel in horrific auditions, Kurt trying to navigate gay dating

That was what I wanted to see too. Oh the lost opportunities all due to crappy writers who are bad at writing good comedy.

I wanted to know what happened to Jesse. I mean, St. Berry now would have been nice, but I care less about that. I really want to know about Jesse St. James - and to have good things happen to him.

Yup, that's all I want now too. But I'd rather they not show him or mention him if they are just going to screw it up. (Which, given their track record, they would.)

I really, really wish the Warblers hadn't taken over Glee. That was , for me, when I started losing interest. When Blaine became more important than the original Glee club members, it really bugged me, and it just got progressively worse. Darren doesn't have the acting chops, nor the singing versatility to be a lead.

I also loathed the Rachel/Finn engagement/wedding plot. That was a total mess. The Finn/Santana outing storyline and how they handled that? Total fail. It was about then that I stopped watching Glee regularily and when I did watch I ffwd'd thru most of it.

In hindsight I should have quit watching Glee in season 1 when they had Jesse egg Rachel without ANY lead up to it. It would have made so much more sense if Jesse had admitted to Shelby that he liked Rachel, then Rachel plays the triple casting stunt, they break up and then Funk happens. The order the writers did it in really sucked. It came from nowhere. I should have realized then how bad the writers were in continuity or developing storylines and their ADD issues. Watching Glee after that "Is MY one big regret."

Edited by Casual Viewing
  • Love 2

- Newbies (their storylines were either terrible repeats of old storylines or awful plots like school shootings and catfishing)

I would've done the newbies but done them a lot differently. I would've had Marley being the rebel who didn't give a shit and given her a personality, I would've made Jake more studious, not necessarily book smart, possibly more serious about dance than he was shown to be, and I would've developed his relationship with Puck. I would've made Kitty less popular, more on the edge of the Cheerios, and far less bitchy. I also would've made her and Tina thick as thieves. Unique would been less sassy and more real. Not sure what I would've done with Ryder, though I probably would made him and Unique the only couple of the newbies.

I would've had people graduated and new people come in from season 2 at the latest.

Not only would I have beefed up Will's role I would've brought in more good teacher.

Sue wouldn't have lasted beyond season 1 for me. Neither would Becky.

• Love 3
I really, really wish the Warblers hadn't taken over Glee.

Unpopular opinion perhaps but I don't really think the Warblers ever took over the show. Yes after Teenage Dream exploded, the writers wanted a way to keep them but more importantly Blaine on, so that led to the whole "Kurt leaves McKinley" storyline but as I recall, when Kurt went to Dalton his screentime was actually reduced and so by that token there really wasn't that much of the Warblers/Dalton. The writers threw in a few scenes here and there to kind of remind people Kurt was still on the show (see the Baby, It's Cold Outside scene which was the only one Kurt and Blaine had that whole Christmas episode, their random appearance at the football game for the big Superbowl episode) but that was it and then there were scenes of Blaine breaking into random songs but again those were like one scene an episode. When Kurt was away at Dalton, most of the show very much still revolved around McKinley.

And the other reason I never felt like the Warblers took over the show is because aside from Blaine, there was barely any focus on any of the other guys. Sure we knew a few names like Wes but these guys were never a huge focus in any episode until funny enough much later in Season 4 with the whole "the Warblers go evil" crap. But when they were introduced they were just kind of side pieces, then Kurt went back to McKinley and only Blaine showed up a few more times that season because they were dating and by the start of Season 3 Blaine was at McKinley so the Warblers were more or less done.

Frankly, in my opinion, far from The Warblers being the issue, and since this is the storylines I wish they'd never done thread, I think what was really the problem was that Karofsky storyline. Because if the audition video some saw of Darren's is anything to go by, not to mention the early spoiler description of his character, it's clear Blaine was created as a response to the Karofsky/bullying storyline they already planned. That's why he was only supposed to be this older, wiser gay guy who gives Kurt advice and confidence. So in my opinion the whole problem became when the writers decided to make Karofsky, who had been nothing more than Azimo's less funnier sidekick, some super tragic self loathing gay guy. Then Kurt's trip to Dalton spawned Teenage Dream which exploded so they were determined to keep Blaine around and that led to Karofsky going full on psycho with death threats at Kurt. And ever since the character has just been the gift that keeps on giving. 

Other storylines I wish they hadn't done (by the way, considering how shitty the writing on this show is, this list may be a little long):

1. Tina's creepy vapor rubbing/obsession with Blaine (no words)

2. In that same vein, Blaine's creepy crushing and serenade of Sam - Because the writers can't do anything but write shitty "romantic" storylines they took what could have been nothing more than a nice friendship and added the creep factor. Lovely...

3. Agreed with the whole Brody being a gigolo crap - This is what I hate about triangles and soap operas especially are famous for it. I think it's incredibly lazy and cheap writing to just trash one character when the writers want to reunite their endgame couple

4. Speaking of, Kurt and Adam - Not because it was bad to give Kurt another love interest but why bother when they weren't planning on doing a thing with it and delivered that pitiful mess instead. Not to mention having Kurt bang Blaine seconds after he started "seeing" Adam. 

5. Blaine and the Facebook hookup - Enough said. I would have accepted a hookup with some old crush he ran into or something. That nameless, random pickup online...just no. 

6. Finn not only going back to Quinn after that pregnancy/Puck mess but going after her while she was with Sam and basically helping her cheat on another boyfriend, this time with him.

7. Finn telling Rachel she apparently doesn't inspire fireworks and heat in him - Again...no words. I guess any excuse to get Lea to sing Firework

8. Feels like it's not even worth saying but what the hell...graduating 3/4 of the characters in Season 3. Then bringing back said characters for random visits because the new characters are boring and no one cares about them and the writers want to find a way to keep the old characters around.

9. Isabelle - SJP is awesome. She was capable of a lot more than she was given to work with. One of many storylines that really seemed to go nowhere. 

10. Sam and Nurse Penny - It was obvious to anyone without even reading spoilers that this was a storyline planned for Finn. The writers should have just dropped it when Cory passed. This couple made no sense, had no chemistry and then it was just dropped with no explanation like many others. Penny went the way of Adam and that girl Santana dated. Here one day, gone the next. 

11. Demi Lovato and Santana - Again, what was the point?

12. Elliot/Starchild - What was the point? Well other than giving Adam Lambert a chance to showcase his amazing vocals. 

13. Sue having a baby - No words...

That's it for now but I'm sure if I think about it some more I can come up with a lot more.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

I'm agreeing with just about everyone's thoughts in this thread. Maybe we need a thread about what Glee did right, but it likely would be a pretty short thread. :-) Glee: a great idea horribly executed.

Just thought of a couple more wishes:

I wish Grant Gustin had been given a better part.

I wish Paltrow had not swallowed up so much screen time. On second thoughts, I wish she'd never appeared at all.

I wish there had been more Jon Groff singing, including a song with Matt. They could have worked it in when Jesse was Mr. Shue's assistant.

Edited by Casual Viewing
  • Love 3

I just wish they had avoided the whole "I am Unicorn" story for Kurt/Blaine, it just created so much ill will and it never really  resolved if  Kurt was actually incapable of a leading man role or if  it was simply the biased perception from close minded small town people.   Typical of Glee, it had an interesting premise and fudged the whole story though.  They simply shouldn't have gone there.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

I wish the story about Burt's heart attack had been about Kurt almost becoming an orphan at 17 and not about worshipping grilled cheese sandwiches.

I wish when Burt was giving Kurt the No Nookie in the Hummel House spiel he hadn't acted like what two men do together sexually was some repugnant abomination no decent human could even imagine.

I wish Adam had been a 30 year old anything-but-a college student who Kurt actually dated.

I wish Rachel's first year of college had been about attending school with 100 Rachel's and that her determination and will to succeed were what set her apart not her magical snowflakiness.

I wish Sue evolved.

Edited by Myrna123
  • Love 3

I'm agreeing with just about everyone's thoughts in this thread. Maybe we need a thread about what Glee did right, but it likely would be a pretty short thread. :-) 

The pilot. That's about all that comes to mind right now.

(Honestly, I enjoyed most of season one,  but I feel like Glee's been tainted for me. I tried rewatching the pilot last week and it just made me sad.)

• Love 2

Oooh, this is a fun thread!

My wishes

If they were going to graduate students, they should have made the students different ages, and graduated and introduced students each year.  From the originals:

Senior- Matt: This way, Matt could just have graduated rather than transferring to a different school.

Juniors- Mike, Tina, Quinn, and Puck: All of these characters have about a season worth of material, and can prepare for their graduation for their next season

Sophomores- Mercedes, Finn, Brittany, Santana: Two main characters and two main secondary characters.  Mercedes has too little story, in my opinion, to make her a freshman, and Brittany wore out her welcome to keep her a freshman.  Although Santana may be the best "bitchy" character, there's too many of them at McKinley.  Finally, Finn imho, had an interesting story as an adult, so I would keep him a sophomore.

Freshman- Rachel, Kurt, Artie: Rachel is the main character of the show, and Kurt is a big story magnet as well.  If RIB wouldn't have made them sophomores so soon, they could have continued with the choir room at least a year longer without doing the split narrative. I added Artie because he has a well-developed story in the background with regards to his directing.

Then, they can graduate and add Glee club members over the series

Season 2: Lose Matt, add Sam and Jake (given Puck the opportunity to mentor him without halfway across the country to do so)

Season 3: Lose Puck, Quinn, Mike, and Tina, add Blaine (introduced in Season 2 at Dalton and coming to McKinley because his family moved/ can't afford Dalton, not because of Kurt), Joe, Kitty (introduced in Season 2 as a fan girl of Quinn), and maybe Rory

Season 4: Lose Finn, Santana, Mercedes, Brittany, and maybe Rory, add Marley, Ryder, Unique, and Sugar

Season 5 (which would not be an extended year): Lose Rachel, Kurt, and Artie, add any of the newbies 2.0 that they want

Other wishes

That they wouldn't have imploded Kurtcedes

That they wouldn't have imploded Quinncedes

That they would have explored the Kurt/Quinn friendship they hinted at at the end of Season 1

That they would have explored the Santofsky relationship more

That they would have developed more unlikely friendships, like Puck/Tina or Kurt/Artie

That everyone didn't date a person in Glee Club (only one I can think of is Mercedes/Shane)

That they did more with the Glee Club besides competitions (Sing-a-grams, concerts, etc... They did some, but they could have done more)

That they did something, anything to make the competitions non-interchangeable

That they kept Sam gay (only because he doesn't really have a story line when he's straight)

Less tribute episodes

Less superfluous guest stars

That the New Directions loss was upheld in Season 4 rather than overturned

That Marley's bulimia was the result of her not wanting to be fat like her mother, not Kitty giving it to her

That Ryder was genuinely attracted to Unique, but was afraid to act on it, rather than being catfished

More struggles in New York (divas a school, auditions, wacky directors and directions, etc...)

Artie roping his friends into acting in his student films and recording everyday life in New York

Rachel and Kurt not being chained to the "loves of their lives" and being able to honestly date other people (Finn had to literally die for this result)

That Finn would have decided to go into teaching at the end of Season 3, discovering that he likes leading the other generations and that going to the army was just chasing his father's shadow (not because his father became a drug addict)

That Glee was character-driven, and didn't throw away characterization for the sake of plot

Finally, if they wanted Rachel to lead a Glee club, they could have done this- after Finn's death, Rachel is depressed, so she decides to dedicate herself to achieving Finn's dream of leading the Glee Club as co-director with Will.  Everybody tells her to go to New York, that Finn wouldn't want her to give up her dreams to pursue his.  Rachel finally accepts in, and after New Directions perform at Sectionals, she gives a tearful goodbye to all and goes to New York.

• Love 3

That they'd left Becky as a sweet, naive kid who just wants to belong, maybe with the occasional voice over to show that she has more going on inside. I know that's kind of a stereotype of Downs kids, but better that than what Becky turned into.

• Love 2

That they'd left Becky as a sweet, naive kid who just wants to belong, maybe with the occasional voice over to show that she has more going on inside. I know that's kind of a stereotype of Downs kids, but better that than what Becky turned into.

Add to list - School shooting and  Sue lying for Becky but still somehow becoming the Principal when in reality she would at the very least lose her job.

• Love 1

I really wish they'd had Jesse come back in the aftermath of losing Finn, not in a romantic capacity, but as a friend for Rachel. And of course Jon Groff and Lea are very close, so she would have had that extra support from a good friend in real life as well.

And yes, to Rachel realizing at NYADA she's a small fish in a big pond, and needs to work her ass off to succeed. And if they had to give her a part on Broadway, why not a small supporting role. Something like Meg in Phantom of the Opera or the nicer stepsister in Cinderella. Or even a member of the ensemble. And then let the show be a flop that ends after only a few weeks. So she can feel the rush of performing on Broadway but realize she still has a long way to g,o and let that drive her to work even harder instead of her  becoming a spoiled brat who believes she's already a star and can do whatever she wants.

• Love 4

I think having Rachel  and company have misadventures in NY was such a lost opportunity.  Rachel in horrific auditions, Kurt trying to navigate gay dating in the big bad city, Finn and Puck trying to start an indie band, Mercedes hitting the pavement working at small venues, and Santana trying out at jazz bars and painting the town red.

Back when there was speculation about the theoretical NYC spinoff I pointed out that a lot of comedy could be milked from the living situation in New York if they had Rachel, Kurt, etc. living in some rat trap Manhattan apartment that was only affordable because of horrible maintenance and neighbor issues. They could be suffering through sauna-like heat with Rachel telling Kurt that he should be able to fix it since he'd worked as a mechanic and Kurt replying that unless they were in the one building with a fuel-injection radiator system she was out of luck.

Another storyline I really wish they'd played out rather than shutting it down in the first episode was Blaine's proposed bisexuality from "Blame It on the Alcohol." I don't think having him be bi rather than gay would have changed anything with regard to Kurt's storylines, and it would have been nice to have that extra bit of diversity.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2

Back when there was speculation about the theoretical NYC spinoff I pointed out that a lot of comedy could be milked from the living situation in New York if they had Rachel, Kurt, etc. living in some rat trap Manhattan apartment that was only affordable because of horrible maintenance and neighbor issues. 

There was a place for everyone in New York, really. There were enough different things where everyone could have had a story. Musically, the diner was perfect for the more Broadway/pop performances, and Callbacks (the bar) could have also worked as a place for more rock/classic numbers, in addition to NYADA, apartments, the city, etc. Will could have been on Broadway. Sue could have "hilariously" owned the apartment/building where everyone lived.

I wish they hadn't been so stuck on McKinley and had just made everyone graduate and move on together, Boy Meets World style.

Storylines I would've liked:
- Proper mid-game developments, such as exploring Kurt and Adam, Santana and Dani, not ending Brody with him being a prostitute.
- Brittany working towards being more regularly coherant.
- A Rachel/Mercedes friendship (because they worked really well together in Tested). 

- Tina gaining respect in New Directions. 

- A night out with just Kurt, Rachel, and Santana at a gay bar. Of course, only Rachel would have fun. 

Storylines that should have never happened: 

- The worst for me ended up being Marley's eating disorder, personally. I was legitimately offended.

- Tina vaporaping Blaine

- Klaine engagement. Or at least have it play out very differently.
- Everything that happened to Quinn after season 1. 

- I Kissed a Girl (or again very different).

• Love 1

I Wish: That the end of Glee (the whole last episode or the last scene) is just the Original 5 and Will. No newbies, no new newbies, no couples, no other glee clubs, no coaches or parents or even other members of the Original 12/Blam. Just Will, Kurt, Rachel, Tina, Artie, and Mercedes. I don't care if they're singing or talking or just sitting in silence in the auditorium as the show fades out. Make it happen, RIB.

• Love 6

Storylines I Wish Had Happened:

1. Blaine as Kurt's mentor in season 2. I think that was talked about before Darren Criss' first appearance, that Blaine would be a mentor to Kurt to help him with dealing with bullies and his homosexuality. Not that Kurt was ever uncomfortable with his sexuality, but how to deal with homophobic jerks and deal with it in a different way that was either 'pretending to be straight' for his dad or whatever. It was even hinted at in Blaine's first appearance, with him being more mentor'y toward Kurt, but then the whole Karofsky thing happened and then Kurt decided to switch schools and it all became somewhat of a jumbled mess. I really liked the idea of Kurt having a friend who actually understood what he was going through, and it was a decent start, but then they had to make an obvious love interest storyline and it's a shame Blaine as a mentor didn't last longer.

2. Love interests outside of dating within Glee in general. There are only a few times that members of the Glee Club have dated outside of their circle (Jesse/Rachel, Santana/Dani*, Kurt/Adam*, Rachel/Brody) and most of them were dropped and never spoken about again. It's a shame, because I would have loved to see Kurt, for example, get more experience outside of having one boyfriend. I don't think it's the most unrealistic thing for Kurt to have his first boyfriend as an endgame, but I do find it unrealistic if they stayed together for the rest of their lives without dating around. I think Kurt needs to explore other options other than Blaine and even though they started that with Adam, they never treated it seriously so I don't really consider Adam to be a boyfriend. Quinn got a boyfriend in season 5, yes, but we didn't see much and it lasted for so little time too. Season 4 could have showed a lot of them actually dating people and doing couple-like things but they really screwed up on this end of it.

3. More Jesse in general. They kind of screwed up with him in season 2, with bringing him back to Lima and forcing himself to be a coach for Vocal Adrenaline. I never saw that of Jesse and although it wasn't an awful storyline, it still was disappointing that they did that to him for season 3. I really hope if they manage to bring him back, he's working at Broadway (or at the very least, Off Broadway) and achieving his dreams. 

4. Rachel actually struggling at getting on Broadway. They showed her succeed way too quickly and imagine her getting her dream at the end of the series, with friends and family cheering her on. That I would have been happy with. 

5. More NYADA based storylines, actually. Having Kurt and Rachel being shown in classes for multiple episodes instead of showing off guest stars or having it some sort of singing montage. I was fine with the Kate Hudson storyline because it showed Rachel struggling. Then they dropped it and had Kate Hudson actually cheering her on. 

6. More family home lives. These people do have families, you know. I would have loved to see more with Rachel and her dads. They have talked about her dads for so long that seeing them more would have been ideal. Finn and Carol have always been my favourite parent-child relationship (well, Burt/Kurt are actually number one, but we've gotten so much of them that it's a tiny bit tiring at times) and it's a shame their relationship was mostly just shown in season 1 and then Carol kind of only appeared once in a while. I would have loved to meet Tina and Mercedes' parents, and more of Artie and Mike's families would have been great. Alas, apparently the only parent that is allowed is Burt and it's a real shame.

7. More random friendships. I remember season 1, Kurt/Quinn was my crackship friendship because of their few interactions that worked really well. Sam/Kurt's friendship was fantastic as well and I appreciated that back in season 2, Sam was wholly likeable and I rooted for him so much. I don't like when they stick to the same old friendships. 

8. More fun episodes like Blame It On the Alcohol. Ok, that episode wasn't great, but the fact that we saw the whole club hanging out outside of Glee Club never really happened on the show. So seeing them have fun was great. 

*I would say these are less romances and more plot convenience because we never saw these couples kiss or do anything romantic; they were just stated to be interested in each other, or maybe a one line about dating them and that's it)

• Love 2
I wish Kurt had never said yes to Blaine's Beatles proposal and I wish Burt had sat Blaine done and told him why it was a bad idea and I wish Burt maybe mentioned how Blaine and Kurt weren't even together because Blaine broke Kurt's heart by cheating on him.

This more than anything,  I wish the show had allowed Burt to remain above all, Kurt's father who was invested in Kurt as his son and had his interest as an individual.  This Burt  who would tell Blaine first about his cancer, not inform his son he was flying his ex boyfriend over for Christmas, suddenly passively aggressively do a 180 on an engagement and  push his son towards accepting a teenage proposal by invoking his dead mother (!!?) and per spoilers

Freaking officiate a wedding ceremony weeks after his son's ex boyfriend had been living with Kurt's former tormentor Karofsky

Who the fuck is this POD creature and what did he do with  Burt?

Because the showrunners/writers were too chicken shit lazy to develop Klaine as a couple, they made Burt have fucking cancer and than become, in panty wetting Klainers version of Glee, a "Klainer" to shovel  Kurt back to Blaine together though heir own SL's scream incompatible couple.. 

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

When they brought Shelby back I wish the storylines had explored the Rachel/Shelby dynamics re: the awkwardness of their past and now being in the same school. Instead the writers ignored all of those potential stories, and Rachel and Shelby might as well have still been in separate schools for all the time they interacted.

• Love 4

So I just realized this thread is about storylines we wish the writers had done not ones we wish they hadn't as I initially thought (reading comprehension fail on my part there). So in keeping with that vein, here are a few for me:

I agree with the above about Shelby. They could have kept the issues between her and Quinn because it was believable Quinn would start having second thoughts about giving up Beth when she was faced with Shelby every day. But instead of that "romance" with Puck that really went nowhere and was never going to go anywhere, they should have spent time on her relationship with Rachel. Rachel and Shelby barely acknowledged each other much when she returned to the show. Hell Rachel barely had any reaction to finding out Shelby was diddling Puck which was weird. 

I think when the writers decided to try this all New York arc, they should have refocused the show as a young adult comedy with a bunch of single, struggling college kids - in other words, Klaine should have not been together and no Sam and Mercedes. Don't get me wrong, there could have still been "romantic tension" showing either of those still had some feelings for each other but I think it would have been more interesting watching these people go on awkward dates, have horrible auditions, etc. 

In saying that, this should have also been what they did with Kurt and Rachel and later Santana, in NY. But I think we could all agree that the fact that RIB are such mediocre hacks, they should have known they didn't have the skills to write for two narratives, seeing that they could barely write well for one, and it showed. But I think the NY narrative would have worked so much better with the writers actually SHOWING us the so called great NYADA and not the two minutes of Rachel failing before she became some huge star. They should have shown Rachel, Kurt and Santana having horrible audition experiences, added some crazy next door neighbor shown once or twice, etc.

Kurt and Blaine should have broken up because a long distance relationship was too hard. Again, I have no issues with a cheating plot per se, though I will always have a problem with the way the writers had Blaine cheat and will always maintain it was the first step in the many ways they destroyed and assassinated the character. That being said, RIB and their lack of any decent follow through and character depth and development meant a cheating plot was not a good idea, as we clearly saw. The point was obviously that they wanted Kurt and Blaine separated and single while they weren't in the same place so a simple "it's too hard..." would have sufficed. That way there's no trust broken and no betrayal, anger, etc. so when they eventually decided to bum rush a nonsensical reunion, it wouldn't be as hard a pill to swallow.

And in keeping with breaking them up, I also wished that not only had they been broken up for geography reasons but that they BOTH were given the decency of legitimate mid-game love interest. Adam was okay but as noted in my previous post, they did nothing with that storyline whatsoever and then he was gone. There wasn't even time for me to have any kind of opinion on the character. He was just sort of there for me and then in the blink of an eye he wasn't. Blaine meanwhile only got to cheat with some guy he didn't even know and immediately feel shame about, then he had a weird crush on Sam that only served to make Sam seem so desirable and such an understanding "bro" and now this mess coming this season. I wish both Kurt and Blaine had been given legitimate chances to explore other relationships and Kurt away at college at another place in his life and Blaine still in high school would have been the perfect time to do it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Storyline's I wish hadn't happened:

Finchel:  Has  there been a more miserable pairing, ever? Probably, but it's a close race.  Rachel on her own can come off as an antagonist or protagonist, frequently in the same episode and usually depending on your point of view.   I find her to be such a rich and versatile character and it was always so cringe inducing seeing her sequestered with such a horrible love interest.  Unappealing and difficient in just about every way.  I never got WHAT Rachel saw in him.  From his lack of intellect to his subpar sexual performance.  He was pathetic in every way.    And it's not like there weren't other options.  She was always MUCH more interesting opposite almost every other amorours candidate.  Puck and Jesse surpassed Finn in every way, yet TPTB seemed bound and determined to chain Rachel to this pirates anchor of a character.   Much as people claim Rachel is a writers pet, I always thought the fact that she was going to be stuck with Finn Hudson was a sign of hatred they had for the character.

Hummelberry.   Ugh. Why were they friends?   Why would they stay in touch after High School?   I still don't know.  I'm much more partial to Rachel these days and I have a deep aversion to Kurticus Heroic Hummel so I think it would have been to the writers benefit to sequester both characters to opposite parts of the show (since both were porported to have the largest fanbases back when Glee was actually a success in Season 1).  Kurt could have taken Finn with him to the opposite side of the show as well.   They certainly don't bring out the best in each other and maybe of the 4 scenes they've had together that DON'T make me want to vommit, I can't say it's been worth all the bad that's come with it.

Rachel "Redeemed".  Even when I hated her I thought Rachel was a wonderful character.  She was spoiled, self-absorbed, insensitive yet sensitive, underhanded and manipulative but someone I still managed to empathize with, and even better, I thought she was frequently HYSTERICAL.   She gave the show conflict when it wasn't so contrived.  She was a wonderful antagonist within the ranks in a way that seemed so much more grounded than the over the top spying by the Cheerios.   Rachel was a lonely girl that learned long ago to be her own biggest fan to the exclusion of all else.   Bullied by the football players and cheerios she learned how to tune out the opinions and thoughts of others (to her detriment because she in a way was cutting herself off from others who could grow to care for her), there was just such a nice pathos to her in earlier seasons.   The only people that liked her or grew to care for her were only guys who had (at some point) an amorous interaction with her.  Finn, Puck and Jesse.   And I loved that she could drive Mr. Schue absolutely BONKERS.

Storylines I wish they had done:

Puck and Rachel in a relationship.   His lacks and nonchalant attitude vs. Her "OMG, I'm the long suffering heroine in a Tennessee Williams Play" attitude was often very funny.   Every interaction they had always came across as Puck standing still with a real live hyperactive energizer bunny hopping around him non-stop.    You could tell he was very attracted to her but he for the life of him didn't get her but sometimes he really wanted too.   His reaching out to Rachel about how she didn't need a nose job (even walking into the ladies room to confront her), him asking if she was ok to Finn (after her NYADA audition).   There background activities through the seasons was at time more appealing than any stoyline either had going on.  Superbowl Ep, Rachel's first party (did he ever help her sneak booze back into her house so her father's wouldn't find out about her party, Run Joey Run (the storyboarding and the doubtless verbal gymnastics Rachel used to get Puck to agree), Rachel ordering Puck to find Puppies in Night of Neglect. Sigh such potential.

Jesse St. James and Jesse/Rachel.  I think he was her match,  The Sebastian Valmont to her Rachel's Kathryn Merteuil only Jesse was actually in love with her.   He should have been made a freshman like Rachel and he shouldn't have gone back to Vocal Adrenaline so fast.   He should have stayed in ND and acted as another antagonist for the rest of the club, along with Rachel.   He detested Finn, Kurt and Mercedes, he seemed to tolerate Will and disregarded the existence of everyone else whenever possible.   Can you picture Schue trying to hold his club together while Jesse/Rachel plotted and manuevered to undermine and control the club themselves.   It would have all culminated at the end of a Season 2 where Schue became made of Iron and told both Jesse and Rachel that they either start acting like TEAM MEMBERS or their out of Glee.   Jesse would then transfer to back to Carmel and Vocal Adrenaline and Rachel would as well.   It would have given ND antagonist in both Sue and given Vocal Adrenaline gravitas (through the personal factor of a Rachel who defected) and would have kept the vinegar in a Glee that became WAY to nauseating with PSA's and the Hold-Hand Circle of Friendships it devolved into.   The only split narrative on the show would have been Jesse St. James and Rachel Berry at Carmel and in Vocal Adrenaline.

What could have been.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 2

I wish that they would set McKinley on fire and the characters would roast marshmallows on it.

If the last shot was the Original 5, Will, and the acknowledgement of Finn somewhere, I would be ecstatic.  Rachel running into Jesse's arms would be a close second.

It would be cool to have flashback episodes back when Will was in the Glee Club.  Then we would see Will, Terri, April, Bryan Ryan, Sue, and Principal Figgins back in their younger days.

Finally, I would have liked to have seen Artie make student films starring his friends, and all the troubles that come from juggling their personalities with typical filming disasters.

• Love 1

Puck and Rachel in a relationship.   His lacks and nonchalant attitude vs. Her "OMG, I'm the long suffering heroine in a Tennessee Williams Play" attitude was often very funny.   Every interaction they had always came across as Puck standing still with a real live hyperactive energizer bunny hopping around him non-stop.    You could tell he was very attracted to her but he for the life of him didn't get her but sometimes he really wanted too.   His reaching out to Rachel about how she didn't need a nose job (even walking into the ladies room to confront her), him asking if she was ok to Finn (after her NYADA audition).   There background activities through the seasons was at time more appealing than any stoyline either had going on.  Superbowl Ep, Rachel's first party (did he ever help her sneak booze back into her house so her father's wouldn't find out about her party, Run Joey Run (the storyboarding and the doubtless verbal gymnastics Rachel used to get Puck to agree), Rachel ordering Puck to find Puppies in Night of Neglect. Sigh such potential.

I love them and agree, but the part in bold never happened. He did, however, get upset with Finn when he thought Finn was thinking of cheating on Rachel. There was also looking out for her "Special Education" and being the only to stand up for her. Their chemistry was through the roof, and there was a tremendous positive audience response. I'll never understand why the writers refused to go there. Literally on any other show it would have happened at some point.

Edited by SNeaker
  • Love 3

I go back and forth on Hummelberry, but their relationship got repetitive.  She had to apologize for being wrong and he had to support her in latest triumph/success.  The show never had the balls to break them up and truly be frenemies for a year, even if they eventually reconciled.

Which brings me to the friendship I wish the show had explored more.   Kurtana.  Kurt and Santana never got sappy or fuzzy with each other (the one time was Kurt's attempt in "I kissed a girl" but Santana shot that down and I blame the whole fiasco on Blaine's rapping).  They were never particularly close, but at the same time were never romantic or competition rivals (which always colored the Hummelberry dynamics ) and unlike Amber, (Kurtcedes) Naya Rivera is a good actress with impeccable timing , and her scenes with Chris always popped.

Santana  helped Kurt get back to McKinley for her own self interests and Kurt could respect that.   Even in "The Quarterback" Kurt and Santana's exchange in the stage was I thought was a moving  scene, precisely because  it didn't dissolve in sentimental sap between them with a big fuzzy hug.  Santana was hurting, Kurt knew it, but he gave her her space and the gesture of giving her  Finn's jacket rang true.

Kurtana could have been the true gay "power couple" at McKinley and later at NY.   Even in Ny, bickering and bantering they never stooped to calling each other the most talented person they  ever knew, (ala Hummelberry over and over) they were wary friends, who bonded over Rachel's BF being a cokehead pusher and  reruns of "The facts of life". 

Which brings me to the one storyline I enjoyed the most in NY, the controversial PUC (to some fans).  Kurt, Santana and Rachel getting a part time gig as Santa's helpers  with disastrous results, Santana bitching about her ex girlfirend to kids,  getting drunk and robbed by a Santa while a horny Kurt gets his mack on, Santana looking on in amusement.   It was the one time the NY trio had no fucking baggage with each other and I don't understand why they couldn't have written them that way all the time.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

Speaking of friendship stories I wish they did my post about Finn in the other thread reminded me of something I wanted  -  I wish after either the Quinn baby lie or especially after Rachel cheating on Finn with Puck, Finn had been truly done with Puck for a while.  It was ass backwards and hypocritical, of course, that Finn dated Quinn again after that mess even while still not being able to get over Rachel cheating on him but I always thought the most ass backwards part of it was that he didn't seem to hold it against Puck at all.  

Yes Puck stopped it with Rachel and told Finn so but really, at that point, I think Finn should have been do you want a prize for not actually screwing my girlfriend this time and instead only making out with her?  It just frustrated me that they loaded that story twice with Finn/Puck and never really went there.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

I love them and agree, but the part in bold never happened. He did, however, get upset with Finn when he thought Finn was thinking of cheating on Rachel. There was also looking out for her "Special Education" and being the only to stand up for her. Their chemistry was through the roof, and there was a tremendous positive audience response. I'll never understand why the writers refused to go there. Literally on any other show it would have happened at some point.

Really?  Are you sure?  I think  it was in "Choke" when the guys were sitting around in a circle and congregating over Puck failing that test.   It was right before Finn said Rachel's dads were in mourning or sitting charma (forgive spelling, to lazy to google).

And it is strange TPTB didn't run with Puck/Rachel.   By the end of Season 1 I really thought Puck was poised to become a break out character, he seemed to be that popular but TPTB never went anywhere with him.  Puck/Rachel was certainly popular enough, it was mentioned in just about EVERY media write up during those early years.   The one time fan pandering would have been a good thing and they choose not to do it.   

They really could be too cute.   And I found everything Puck did for Rachel in "Born This Way" far more effective than Finn's outburst about how Rachel is "beautiful".

• Love 1

Really? Are you sure? I think it was in "Choke" when the guys were sitting around in a circle and congregating over Puck failing that test. It was right before Finn said Rachel's dads were in mourning or sitting charma (forgive spelling, to lazy to google).

Yeah, positive. It was Samuel (can't remember his character's name) who asked Finn how Rachel was doing during Puck's study session with the guys. And it's "sitting shiva." Heh.

I will forever be puzzled by the disregard for Puck and Puck/Rachel. Ryan Murphy has claimed many times that he increased the exposure for Kurt/Santana/Brittany because he was impressed by the audience response to them at Radio City. I was AT that concert, and Mark was definitely way way up there with them. My friend and I noted it at the time.

Edited by SNeaker

I liked Puck in the small doses we saw of him (even though his character motivations were all over the place sometimes - he loved Quinn! He just wanted sex! He cared about Finn! He only saw Finn as an obstacle between him and Quinn! He was a dick with a heart of gold! He was just a dick!), but I never saw any special connection between him and Rachel, certainly not more than between him and Quinn, Zizes, Shelby or hell, even Mercedes. Honestly they would have been the pairing I wouldn't have minded exploring more. Especially since Mark Salling's acting was never up there with the big players and he couldn't have kept up with Lea Michele in the long run (much as I'm sure we'll find out Chord Overstreet can't).

That said the reaction to Puck never surprised me - he was basically the tortured woobie bad boy of Glee, the guy who's mean to everyone but not the girl he loves (and that's how she knows she special to him), the guy nobody believes in but who has a secret sensitive side, the one who doesn't get the girl (at least at first). Ticks every box I've ever seen to get girls swooning.

The best thing about Puck was the genuine emotion he had for his daughter. That was really sweet. Romance, not so much. Puck always seemed to me, much like Sam, someone who loved the one he was with and someone who shifted affections quite easily and generously.

• Love 1

I honestly wish they would have never gone with the Puck/Zizes romance because it was clear it was all suppose to a big joke, a gimmicky punchline relationship since they never gave them a straight up tender moment. (Compare with Samcedes, which was not a joke) It diminished Puck without adding anything to him. The show never took it serious or even important enough but just a way to keep Puck busy. Case in point; prom Queen they showed all the Prom Queen characters reactions after the fact but not Zizes.

As mentioned, Puck actually treated women well when he was in a relationship with them.

The one early growth I liked was that he accepted Quinn's decision to give their baby up to adoption to Shelby.

Yeah, positive. It was Samuel (can't remember his character's name) who asked Finn how Rachel was doing during Puck's study session with the guys. And it's "sitting shiva." Heh.

I thought it was Blaine who asked which made sense because he'd been at the audition supporting Kurt and saw Rachel choke. 

I will forever be puzzled by the disregard for Puck and Puck/Rachel. Ryan Murphy has claimed many times that he increased the exposure for Kurt/Santana/Brittany because he was impressed by the audience response to them at Radio City. I was AT that concert, and Mark was definitely way way up there with them. My friend and I noted it at the time.

Well I think there was definitely an audience for the pairing but I think it would have been very good for the show as a whole since the 2nd season became so dour and morose.   Puck and Rachel were pretty comedic and had a real energy  that would have helped Glee in Season 2 (SE, Superbowl, BIOTA, BTW) all had some nice Puck/Rachel moments.   And I admit in Special Education when Finn was yelling at Rachel and Santana said nobody told Rachel because nobody liked her and Puck said, that's not true, I like her.  That made me crack up and go "aw" at the same time.

And even when they were antagonistic it was fun.  When Puck asked "Where's Rachel and that he was only asking because it's been 5 minutes and he noticed she didn't say anything obnoxious" LMAO.  Like I said, they would have been a lot of fun, like the Glee version of Hyde and Jackie from "That 70's Show".

• Love 1

Rumor has it they were pissed when Mark  released his album (EP) without giving them a head up first.   Genuinely wondering  Could he legally do that,?   I always thought the cast all signed contracts  giving Sony first dibs on any recordings or record deals to be released commercially.

By Season 3 there was an ugly charge of rape/unprotected sex filed publicly, thought in all honesty, even before that he was sidelined big time.  I think he went 8-10 episodes  without a song.

Edited by caracas1914

To add to the Puck/Rachel 'Wish they had done it" storyline:  Think how much Season 6 would have been improved if we were hearing about Puck/Rachel, and not Sam/Rachel.  Instead of breaking up a relationship that they spent quality time on Season 5 (Samcedes) they break up a relationship that got about 10 minutes of screentime in Season 5 (Puck/Quinn).

A line where Puck and Quinn have amicably parted ('we tried, the distance was too much, but we're happy we tried') and then Puck's around in the background, with 'moments'; maybe leading up to a plan to date at then end of the season.  If they had planned back in Season 5, there is an organic reason they would keep seeing each other - they were both important people in Finn's life (best friend, girlfriend) - so it makes sense they might spend time together grieving Finn.  Or in Season 6, retcon that Puck and Rachel spent time together off screen.  And you're done.  Rachel is set up with a NOT-Finn, but someone she has ties to, and the 'other woman', instead of sitting on screen making some fans angry, is at Yale, never to be seen again. 

• Love 3

There were also rumors that he and Naya dated at some point and it went really bad.  Like screaming at each other in the parking lot, her keying his car bad.  That was around the time of the second tour because he had been one of the people doing the AT&T store meet and greets that accompanied the tour (Cory & Naya did most, if not all of them, and some of the supporting cast members cycled in and out) and suddenly Mark was not doing them anymore.  

Edited by camussie

The stuff about Naya and Mark (which Mark denied) was in the summer between Season 1 and 2, and the allegations were during Season 4.

I don't think any of if is relevant, though. They may have punished Mark for the album by docking him from two episodes, but it's not like they fired him or didn't give him a storyline at all in the following season. I have a very difficult time believing that's why they never did Puck/Rachel.

I have a very difficult time believing that's why they never did Puck/Rachel.

I wasn't speculating on why they didn't do Puck/Rachel.  I think they didn't do them because they didn't want to.  Nothing more or less.  I was speculating on why MS seemed to become persona non grata for a time on Glee.  My guess is because they didn't know what to do with the character in combo with there being some controversies surrounding Mark in the first 3 seasons  (the record thing and the rape charge for sure).  

Edited by camussie
My guess is because they didn't know what to do with the character

I think that was the lament for every character on Glee at one point, even the leads.   Rachel and Blaine have been  handled as  badly even with so much more focus/screentime and songs than anyone else the last couple of years.

Edited by caracas1914

Think how much Season 6 would have been improved if we were hearing about Puck/Rachel, and not Sam/Rachel.

Except he slept with Rachel's birth mother and is the father of Rachel birth's mother's child and that just feels very pseudo-incestuous and icky to me.

That said, I have no investment at all in Puck/Quinn. That pairing is probably one of the worst written ones in Glee history and that's saying something. I feel like every writer decided on a whim what they felt about each other (or if they even knew the other existed) in any new episode.

That just sounds like more Ryan Murphy BS to me.  It's never his fault when people don't celebrate his "brilliance". Nooooo.  It's either that they don't understand or the  network/audience/cast member/devil (take your pick) made him do it.

Edited by LydiaMoon1

No more Puck/Rachel?  - With Ryan I wouldn't put it  past him that he got huffy cause people liked Puck/Rachel so much and he was sure Finn/Rachel would blow everyone away.

Also even if they didn't want them to be romantic there was no reason to totally drop their friendship too.  They have barely been within two feet of each other since the end of season 2.

• Love 2