Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: Fresh Off The Press

On 5/12/2019 at 10:08 PM, fishcakes said:

The point is that he didn't have the kind of success he wanted as the list of credits you quoted demonstrates. He wasn't happy with guest shots on The Love Boat or small roles in terrible movies like C.H.U.D. II: Bud the C.H.U.D. I'm pretty sure Wu's aspirations are higher as well.

And life sucks and you can't always get what you want. I'm sure millions of people can attest to that -- without having the comfort of hundreds and thousands of dollars. 

I really really hope there's a lot of gossip that comes out about this show when production starts again, although I feel sorry most for the kids that will have to work in that atmosphere.

• Love 2
On 8/25/2019 at 8:12 AM, fishcakes said:

CBS Sunday Morning's interview with Eddie and his family. He seems to have mellowed a bit over the last couple of years.

He does seem like he's more mellow now. I found it sad that his dad was still completely unapologetic about hitting the kids. I don't accept "it's a different culture" as a reasonable excuse for abuse.

• Love 1

Hard to believe she hadn't had any apologies/forgiveness conversations with any cast members before returning to set. You'd think that if you f'd up that badly, you wouldn't wait til first day back to apologize, and they wouldn't wait til then to let you know they're okay with it if they were.

• Love 2

I don’t find that odd at all. She didn’t insult her costars and they are her coworkers so she waited until she saw people at work to talk to them. I think sometimes we have too high of expectations of people in the entertainment industry to be friends/super close and not just view them as coworkers. I don’t know why her costars should be treated differently than all of the behind the scenes crew, writers, and producers etc.

• Love 1
On 9/30/2019 at 8:47 AM, possibilities said:

I don't expect them to be close. But if I screwed up something publicly that affected people I worked with, I'd reach out to them to apologize immediately, and if I didn't hear back from any of them, I'd be surprised.

It didn’t affect them and she didn’t criticize  them. Why just her costars? My point is where does the line stop? She issued a general “apology” and than talked to people when actually at work which is how it would be handled in most workplaces.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

‘Fresh Off the Boat’ Spinoff With Indian Family Starring Preity Zinta & Vir Das Eyed With Episode Of ABC Series

The potential Fresh Off the Boat spinoff is taking shape. Bollywood star Preity G Zinta and Indian actor-comedian Vir Das (Whiskey Cavalier) have been tapped to guest star in an upcoming episode of Fresh Off the Boat, which could lead to a spinoff series, tentatively titled Magic Motor Inn.

Written by Fresh Off the Boat writer-producer Rachna Fruchbom, the episode centers around an Indian family whose daughter attends school with Eddie. The girl’s parents, DC and Meena, are played by Das and Zinta, respectively.

The episode from FOTB’s current sixth season, which starts filming on Nov. 18, is not a backdoor pilot like  is the common practice, including the black-ish episode last season that served as a backdoor pilot for spinoff series mixed-ish. But it would serve as template for the proposed spinoff, Magic Motor Inn, which would star Zinta and Das. If the network opts to move forward, a regular pilot will be ordered during the traditional pilot season from FOTB producer, 20th Century Fox TV.

38 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It’s official, this season is the last.

Not surprised. I've been expecting it. The ratings and quality isn't what it used to be.

I'm going to miss Lewis and the boys. Also Grandma and Eddie's friends were a hoot. All the side characters that make the show like a real neighborhood were great too, but they sadly haven't been shown lately.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Not surprised. I've been expecting it. The ratings and quality isn't what it used to be.

I'm going to miss Lewis and the boys. Also Grandma and Eddie's friends were a hoot. All the side characters that make the show like a real neighborhood were great too, but they sadly haven't been shown lately.

I wasn't surprised myself. I wish all the kids good luck. Probably Forrest Wheeler would star in either a Fatal Fury, Soul Caliber, or Street Fighter revival after this show. He is after all an X-streme Martial Artist and sword expertise fighter. Above all, good luck to the kids. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 4

I'm bummed, because this show really has a wonderful cast. 6 seasons is pretty impressive. But all behind the scenes drama aside, it makes sense to end it with Eddie heading off to college.  I still can't believe how he and his friends became my favorites. I'll miss the "YEAH" lol. I hope we get more of them before the finale.

And I'll miss Louis and Marvin too! They are such a perfect duo, and we haven't seen much of that friendship lately. The show really has been more disjointed this season, though it still has it's moments.

Good luck to all the kids for finding other opportunities. They'll find it more challenging, especially as they grow out of the cute kid roles, but I think they are all pretty talented - I love Hudson Yang, and think he has some great comedic timing. I think Randall Park will continue to be very successful (and maybe Wu as well). 

• Love 5

Constance Wu should be very relieved that she doesn't have to 'endure' FOTB any longer. I'm sorry for the rest of the cast as it is a pretty good show. Hope they do it justice in the last few episodes. I like the dad and Marvin too...going to miss them.

• Love 5

I figured that this season might be the last, the ratings and quality arent what they used to be, but I am still rather sad. I will miss Eddie and his friends and the other boys and grandma and Louis and Marvin and Honey and the "Yeah" of course! I hope that the kids all go on to do great things, they have a lot of talent. And I hope that Randall Park keeps this momentum up, he could have a really bright future again. 

At least Constance must be happy!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I just wish the cast and crew would have known this was the final season when they started filming.

I mean it barely got renewed last season and it sounds like it was at least partially the shows producers decision so just because it’s being in announced now doesn’t mean that they weren’t aware of the situation. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I figured that this season might be the last, the ratings and quality arent what they used to be, but I am still rather sad. I will miss Eddie and his friends and the other boys and grandma and Louis and Marvin and Honey and the "Yeah" of course!

Me too.

But this show's writers are just so unoriginal.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

Me too.

But this show's writers are just so unoriginal.  

That is what suffers from this show. You could do so much for the Jessica character, but in the end it's pointless. The Goldbergs are also suffering from this as well.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

We all knew that Constance's major tantrum could not allow for a further season, but I would have paid money to see the show get renewed AGAIN and her meltdown that would ensue. 

Most reports indicate that the cast were only contracted for six seasons so it wouldn’t have happened.  Also, the show has been on the bubble for the past two years, the creator left last year, etc this cancellation was not because of Constance’s tweets.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Ha, yeah, he doesn't really explain it except to say that it lasted longer than they thought it would. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the ratings weren't good enough for ABC to commit to a full season so the show runners decided to end it now and have a proper finale. I'm not sure I'd characterize it "going out on top" the way he does, since this show's best season was, sadly, the first season, but I can understand why they'd want a real finale and not a midseason cancellation, possibly even leaving some episodes unaired.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Ha, yeah, he doesn't really explain it except to say that it lasted longer than they thought it would. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the ratings weren't good enough for ABC to commit to a full season so the show runners decided to end it now and have a proper finale. I'm not sure I'd characterize it "going out on top" the way he does, since this show's best season was, sadly, the first season, but I can understand why they'd want a real finale and not a midseason cancellation, possibly even leaving some episodes unaired.

I get it more that the show lasted longer than they originally thought it would. The real Eddie wanted more of a portray of his book and "real life", but not realizes that would have been hard to do and the show would have probably ended after a couple of years. It's pretty simple, the ratings weren't there, the actors were tired of the show, especially Constance and they get to at least wrap it up in a satisfying way to them. Instead of similar to how ABC pulled the plug on previous shows. 

Well, she is so full of it. Did she forget her statements of dissatisfaction when the show was renewed last year? I didn't forget them. I don't care for the character she portrayed nor do I care much for this actress either. Sorry to say that. I think the others in the cast have a good relationship with each other which is good. Why couldn't they continue the show without her? I think having Grandma Huang step in as a 'mom' would have been a good idea...and yes, bring back Eddie's friends too. 

• Love 3

You'd think with this being the final season, they would have tried to include an episode or two with Eddie's friends.  

I think they've struggled with how to write for Emery.  His personality is less distinct than Eddie and Evan's.

All-round, the writers for this show have been very weak.  They lasted a lot of seasons essentially just churning the wheel.  I'm surprised the showrunner actually got a new gig.

• Love 2

I think when it became the Jessica show is where the show was no longer about the whole family, but about Jessica's ambitions. It was really tiresome with Jessica being a jerk and learning a lesson at the end of each episode. I think the jumping shark moment happened when Jessica became the focus and the rest were secondary. You can't continue a show with one character being negative all the time and the rest of the cast trying to work around her. I use to like both Jessica and Louis, but the writers really killed their characters' motivations. They just became unbearable.

• Love 5