Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: Fresh Off The Press

4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Not really, I think it's just a screenshot meme.  None of that is on her page, and I checked when I first saw the meme as well.

No it was really changed it’s just been changed back now her wiki has been edited multiple times in the last hour and a half so it will probably soon be locked.

• Love 1
(edited)

She needs to explain herself after posting that, but I can't blame her for hating the way her character is being written, and if I had to guess, I'd guess that's more her complaint than anything else.

Edited by possibilities
(edited)
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Have they worked together?

I don't think so, or know.  But someone took a screenshot of the moment.

Sorry, Mandy liked another tweet in the thread.

Yashar kind of went on a crazy rant attacking Constance that a lot of people said was really creepy and misogynistic, so he deleted a lot of what he said.  

D6PkQhZW4AA3NRA.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

No it was really changed it’s just been changed back now her wiki has been edited multiple times in the last hour and a half so it will probably soon be locked.

It's still morphing. Currently:

image.thumb.png.c36ad5f88bcc32cddee40dba8cb873ca.png

And

image.png.744e99a4fb918585b7717944c1ad9d66.png

Ha, I looked at the history page and in the few minutes it took me to get those screencaps, it's changed twice. It's back to normal now.

If she's really horrible to work with, that might explain why her character has become more unlikable over the years. After this, I wouldn't be surprised if they Chrissy Snow'd her by sending Jessica to Taiwan and have her appear only in the last two minutes of each episode alone in a room talking to Louis on the phone.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

She's not owning up to anything she said, she's claiming that she simply had a "rough day" and it was "ill" timing, people making "assumptions" and that people don't like that she used the word "Fuck" (other tweets on her timeline). 😶😶😶😶😶

She deleted the comment on Instagram and the "No it's not" as if everyone would forget and believe these explanations but um....... we all have the screenshots.   😶😶😶😶😶😶

I guess it will sound selfish to say this, but I honestly felt sick over the whole thing, and I really really love FOTB and CRA, maybe on an unhealthy level, and I don't want either of them to be jeopardized.

You know, a lot of people talk shit about the cast of "Friends" being too close, and cliqueish, and "not letting people into their circle".  To once again bring up their show.  I never got why that was such a bad thing.  Yes, they all loved each other.  No, they never ever threw each other under the bus or talked shit.  I'm not claiming "Friends" and "FOTB" are the same.  But I always thought it was cool that that cast simply loved each other and understood that nobody else on the planet would understand what they went through besides themselves.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 9.39.34 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She's not owning up to anything she said, she's claiming that she simply had a "rough day" and it was "bad timing", people making "assumptions" and that people don't like that she used the word "Fuck". 😶😶😶😶😶

Yeah, I'm not buying that. She's always been so upfront about what she thinks, but I have to assume it's part of her contract that she can't disparage the show and she's been getting furious calls from her manager telling her she needs to fix this.

But at least there's this:

image.png.053294a95906bdeb041786f46a064bcd.png

Argh, I don't know. The show isn't nearly as good as it was in the beginning, but I don't want to see it cancelled if only because it was 20 years after the cancellation of All American Girl before we got another show with a predominantly Asian cast.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

don't think so, or know.  But someone took a screenshot of the moment.

Sorry, Mandy liked another tweet in the thread.

Ah. The interesting part to me is that Gemma has actually worked with her and is going to be working with her on the sequels which will make for a fun set!

That was spectacularly unprofessional of her which makes me sad given how I've appreciated her outspokenness for things that matter. 

But I have to roll my eyes at these comparisons to Shelley Long, Katherine Heigl, David Caruso...etc. IIRC, Shelley left at the end of her contract (I believe they were shorter then).  And Cheers had turned into a hit that was clearly set to go on for years.  Similarly, Grey's had years left due to its success.  Caruso left after one season which was silly and a bad decision not even on par with the women who at least gave years to their shows.  FOTB was likely a barely renewed show.  She's in her mid-to late 30s which is getting "old" for actresses in Hollywood.  

I think it's fine for her to be frustrated.  It just doesn't belong on Twitter and every "explanation" she has given so far makes it worse.  

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But I have to roll my eyes at these comparisons to Shelley Long, Katherine Heigl, David Caruso

Why, though? When Shelley Long left Cheers, it was publicized that, after her Troop Beverly Hills movie, she had begun to get a bit of a big ego with a "film career". Yes, she did leave when her contract was up, but she thought she would be a big movie star. Same for David Caruso and his bomb, Jade, and the reason he left NYPD Blue - only to return years later to TV for CSI: Miami...after it was clear that movie career wasn't gonna happen.

As for Katherine Heigl? Well, her problem was getting all high and mighty about the very movies she was in, disparaging them. Add in her comment about not submitting for the Emmys for her Grey's Anatomy role because of the writing and, yeah,  she burned her bridges, too.

So I think all three are apt comparisons. Ego is a tricky thing in this business.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

So I think all three are apt comparisons. Ego is a tricky thing in this business.

It's because they are  comparing actors who left monster hits that went on for years after they left to an actress on a show that was likely very much on the bubble---to the point that it sounds like Constance was surprised when it was renewed.  

Katherine, David** and Shelley* traded sure things (as their shows were hits when they left) for the uncertainty of film careers that eventually died. Their old shows outlasted them.  Had the shows they left died a year or two after they left, they likely would not be held up as examples of "bad decision making."  That's where Constance finds herself.  Due to the success of CRA, she could probably book herself solid over the next two years in film.  I don't blame her for preferring to try and launch that than stay on a show that is likely going to end sooner rather than later. CRA is a bigger hit than her TV show (again, different from Shelley, David and Katherine's situations.)

The far better comparison, IMO, is something like Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimbalist in Remington Steele.  Both had good offers on the table, Pierce for Bond and Stephanie ZImbalist for Robocop when NBC decided to renew Remington Steele for a shortened season.  Pierce was able to recover and eventually got to play Bond again.  Stephanie didn't.  Both were pissed and given how subpar that final season was, I don't think anyone really blames them.  

*Shelley would be richer and possibly more famous (tho, I don't know, Diane is such a great character and her performance was terrific) had she stayed on Cheers.  But I am pretty sure her contract was up (they were shorter back then) so I bristle when she's compared to people like David and Katherine who basically asked to be let out of their contracts.

**I also kind of question why people keep using Caruso as a bad example.  Yeah, his movie career tanked but then he went on to do 10 seasons of CSI Miami which he probably gets more residuals from (as I believe it's more rerunnable) than people who worked on NYPD Blue. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's because they are  comparing actors who left monster hits that went on for years after they left to an actress on a show that was likely very much on the bubble---to the point that it sounds like Constance was surprised when it was renewed.  

???  I wasn't surprised at all?  

Just now, Irlandesa said:

The far better comparison, IMO, is something like Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimbalist in Remington Steele.  Both had good offers on the table, Pierce for Bond and Stephanie ZImbalist for Robocop when NBC decided to renew Remington Steele for a shortened season.  Pierce was able to recover and eventually got to play Bond again.  Stephanie didn't.  Both were pissed and given how subpar that final season was, I don't think anyone really blames them.  

Yes, but what many forget in this case was the show was already cancelled officially when both Brosnan and Zimbalist moved on to James Bond and Robocop. In that case, back in the dinosaur days of TV when repeats of a show were shown over the summer, apparently, repeats of Season 4 were well rated and NBC was caught off guard.

NBC then un-cancelled the show in that summer time frame, thus forcing Brosnan and Zimbalist to come back. (I always wondered about that, actually. Since the show was cancelled outright, I wondered how such a contract was enforced to make both come back?) So, in their cases, I totally understand them being bitter and pissed. (And "Season 5", if one wants to be charitable with that term, was a mess.) Brosnan did rebound, true. Although I read that Zimbalist is now big in the theater circuit.

Still, unless ABC told the cast the show was basically done (which I'm guessing it didn't), Ms. Wu should have been prepared for a renewal. If just for the fact the show is on Friday nights, which has vastly-lowered ratings expectations. And while I get she was in a hit movie...well, even some music artists are known for "one-hit wonders". There is no guarantee that would automatically translate to more, although - ego aside - I think she is talented enough. But Hollywood is about "big things and big names" - until they aren't.

Just saying, she could have dialed down the temper tantrum or at least not aired it so publicly.

• Love 7
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

???  I wasn't surprised at all?  

It’s ratings have been bad and it was barely renewed last year add in the fact that the creator left at the end of this season it was a bubble show with a leaning toward renewal. Constance was clearly surprised and since she was in the show she probably had some reason to think it might not be.

2 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

ust saying, she could have dialed down the temper tantrum or at least not aired it so publicly.

I don’t think anyone is defending her Twitter reaction just questioning the comparisons people are making.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yeah I agree @WendyCR72  I don't think one of the actors stamping their feet down and saying "No, no no gimme" is what causes a show to not be renewed. 😐  I don't think that's how this works.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

(I always wondered about that, actually. Since the show was cancelled outright, I wondered how such a contract was enforced to make both come back?)

It's probably because the actors' contracts are with the production companies,  And the production companies make the contracts for the show with the networks.  So when a show is cancelled, the network is breaking the contract with the production company but production companies usually have longer to pick up an actor's option.  (I think the deadlines are usually in July.)  If the production company finds a new home, they pick up the options on the contracts and the actors are stuck.

What happened with Remington Steele must have been that NBC changed its mind before the production company released the stars from their contracts. 

And yeah, I agree that a Twitter tantrum wasn't the way to go.  I just get why she'd feel that way.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's probably because the actors' contracts are with the production companies,  And the production companies make the contracts for the show with the networks.  So when a show is cancelled, the network is breaking the contract with the production company but production companies usually have longer to pick up an actor's option.  (I think the deadlines are usually in July.)  If the production company finds a new home, they pick up the options on the contracts and the actors are stuck.

What happened with Remington Steele must have been that NBC changed its mind before the production company released the stars from their contracts. 

And yeah, I agree that a Twitter tantrum wasn't the way to go.  I just get why she'd feel that way.

Yup. The deadline is usually June 30 for broadcast TV. That's why whenever canceled shows are shopped to other networks, you'll read that the production studio has until a certain time to find a new home for the show before the options on the actors' contracts expire. This is what happened with Happy Endings. Sony was in talks with USA before ABC even officially canceled it, but USA ultimately decided not to pick it up and Sony had to throw in the towel by June 28 because the cast's options were expiring.

Edited by alihart41

I am sad for Speechless...😩

I was not surprised at Constance Wu’s behavior. She made degrading remarks based on a film two years ago and went on a rampage about the portrayal of Asian people in that film. I think it was Matt Damon’s The Great Wall.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

I am sad for Speechless...😩

I was not surprised at Constance Wu’s behavior. She made degrading remarks based on a film two years ago and went on a rampage about the portrayal of Asian people in that film. I think it was Matt Damon’s The Great Wall.

A lot of people agreed with her, myself included, about her comments on the film and Hollywood always having to have a white savior at the center of stories about POC.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You know, a lot of people talk shit about the cast of "Friends" being too close, and cliqueish, and "not letting people into their circle".  To once again bring up their show.  I never got why that was such a bad thing.  Yes, they all loved each other.  No, they never ever threw each other under the bus or talked shit.  I'm not claiming "Friends" and "FOTB" are the same.  But I always thought it was cool that that cast simply loved each other and understood that nobody else on the planet would understand what they went through besides themselves.

Before the show premiered series director James L Brooks took the cast to Las Vegas on the production company's private jet for the weekend and let them gamble with his money telling them this was their "last moment of anonymity" before the show was a hit and they were all famous. That's when they all started to bond. Burrows did this also later with the Will & Grace cast. I read an interview of Lizzy Caplan(Masters of  Sex) where she said he did this for the cast of "The Class"( a short lived sitcom she was in the mid-2000s) and you could tell how bitter she was it didn't work out the same way for them!

I think of Robert Reed, Mike Brady on The Brady Bunch. He hated being on the show and wanted out and  he made producer Sherwood Schwarz' life miserable constantly criticizing the scripts but he got along with Florence Henderson and the actors playing his kids and they were close until the day he died.

I have no idea how Constance Wu is with the actors playing her sons. I can imagine working with kids is tough but I hope she and Randall Park at least get along.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Have they worked together?

I don’t think so. But maybe for Mandy, it’s a good reminder for her that she’s lucky she has a job again. If you haven’t already, read up on her marriage to Ryan Adams which she finally spoke out on this year.  

As for Constance, this is some major back pedalling to the point she’s attempting to time travel back in time to do things over.  She got her major break through this show and landed Crazy Rich Asians because of it. She’s leading the charge on Asian representation. But when Eddie Huang himself said “this show is way off base now, I’m out” I didn’t see her grow a conscious and leave either. She stayed because it was a job.

It’s one thing if you don’t like the job any more. But the way she framed it, that’s insulting to cast and crew who can breathe a sigh of relief over job security for another year, and that is definitely a petty look to have.  All she did now was for others who didn’t want to say anything finally deciding “well since you shot yourself in the foot, let me start stomping on your other one and tell everyone what you’re really like.”

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I don’t think so. But maybe for Mandy, it’s a good reminder for her that she’s lucky she has a job again. If you haven’t already, read up on her marriage to Ryan Adams which she finally spoke out on this year.  

I am well aware of her relationship with Ryan Adams. The quote she liked was about how Constance is an asshole not anything about being blessed to have a job. 

8 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

But when Eddie Huang himself said “this show is way off base now, I’m out” I didn’t see her grow a conscious and leave either. She stayed because it was a job.

Actors for American shows are typically signed to a seven year contract so when Eddie started criticizing the show during the first season, she couldn't have left even if she wanted to. It had nothing to do with whether or not she had a conscience.

As for Eddie's criticism of the show, he didn't like that it was so upbeat and sitcom-y. He wanted them to include things like his dad hitting him and the ensuing drama, which the network didn't want to do. Even if Constance agreed with him, she's an actor on the show, not a writer or a producer, and it was the first year that the show aired so I think a lot of people felt it was better to have an Asian sitcom on network tv than having to wait another 20 years to get a show about Asian people on tv.

I understand Eddie wanting the show to stay true to the book and his life, but the show is a sitcom, not a serious drama. Yes, sitcoms can have dramatic storylines but when when a show is developed as a sitcom, I don't think it's unreasonable for it to stay on the lighter side of things and avoid things like ongoing child abuse.

On a related note, I recently saw Lindy West speak and she talked about how emotionally challenging it is to turn a book about your life into a tv show. It's not an easy process and there are a lot of things to consider, especially since a 30 minute show needs to have a short storyline for each episode (unlike a book where you can make a chapter as long or as short as it needs to be to tell a particular story). It can be difficult to see parts of the story that are important to you get changed or left out in order to fit the confines of a sitcom.

I like Eddie and I really do understand his gripes, but unless you negotiate being a producer with creative control, you have to let it go or you'll drive yourself crazy with frustration. When I saw Nick Hornby give a talk a few years ago, he said that he learned once he sells the rights to a book to be made into a tv show or movie, he has to let go of it and let the production team shape it into the story that they want it to be. Some of the adaptations of his books have been very faithful to the original and some made major changes.

I have mixed feelings about Constance's reaction. I usually like when celebrities are candid instead of just spouting canned responses that are generic and intended to be as bland and non-offensive as possible. But the flip side of that is that if you are going to be open and honest as a public figure, you are going to have to expect some open and honest reactions to what you say and do. She's allowed to be disappointed that she's stuck on this show for another year. She's not the first actor on a tv show who has wanted to do other projects (and from a creative side, I understand how stagnating it must be to keep playing a character who has had essentially no character growth after five years - if we are complaining about how tired we are of seeing Jessica be the same selfish mean spirited control freak week after week, imagine how tired she must be of playing that same selfish mean spirited control freak). Publicly posting about her disappointment was not the savviest thing to do though. I still remember when Jessica Biel made it no secret that she wanted to leave Seventh Heaven so she started posing for Maxim and trying to find movie roles that were nothing like her wholesome character. All she ended up doing was making the producers mad.

• Love 7

Sounds like to me that this actress mirrors her awful TV character. She's not grateful to be a working and PAID actress. Yes, you don't bite the hand that feeds you and certainly NOT PUBLICLY. Perhaps they should show her the door, recast this role with a more likeable person and restructure the awful 'mother-character' on the show. Jessica Huang is not a likeable person, wife, friend OR MOTHER, IMO. Hope her career goes down the tubes for a statement like that. She is not the show, it is a combination of the other actors and certainly the efforts of the crew  that make or brake a tv show. Good writing is also key. I hope her thoughtless comment does not affect the other peoples' livelyhoods  that depend on this show for their income. I enjoy this show, but not Constance Wu's character. Now I don't enjoy Constance Wu. Her movie career went to her head.....just like Jessica.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

actress. Yes, you don't bite the hand that feeds you and certainly NOT PUBLICL

Again I don’t support her SM comments and apparently people who have worked with her find her to be an asshole but I hate this notion that because she is an actor that she can’t be annoyed by a job she no longer finds interesting. Actors contracts crazy favor the studio and they are tied to it but the production company isn’t and can usually terminate the contact with little cause or pay a nominal buyout to let them go. The contracts aren’t a two way street and that’s bullshit. Currently in nearly every industry 5-7 years in the same company is an outlier because employers don’t provide the same incentives/advancement, people wanting change etc. except in the entertainment industry where people should sit down and shut up and be grateful. It is literally an industry where the powerful openly exploits the talent and the public celebrates it. The show was renewed her comments, misguided as they were didn’t endanger crew jobs so that line of criticism is also lost on me.

Most people hate the character and I am sure she hears a lot of it to her face because people are assholes, the creator left (Nahnatchka Khan) isn’t going forward but she has to be crazy grateful? Again she shouldn’t have said it on twitter the way she did but the standard for talent needing to be “grateful” for their jobs both by the audience and their bosses is ridiculous. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
(edited)
18 minutes ago, incandescent said:

Nah, she just left for a better deal.

Which goes to the different contracts that people sign. Creators are usually signed to shorter deals than onscreen talent because they get a bigger pot of the pie if it’s successful but no one knows them the way they know the on screen talent and while she will still get money from future episodes it will be less than if they had to renew her contract. In nearly all cases the studio is the big winner. I mean you could argue that they are putting up the money before the show airs but the numbers aren’t close to matching up. The reason Friends and TBBT got paid shitloads of money is because the money for the studio was substantially more. 

Seinfeld and Larry David got paid more than more creators of shows because they took a percentage of the show versus a big salary from the beginning but it was allowed because the studio didn’t think the show would be as crazy successful so thought they limited their costs at the start. Since than fewer studios have offered that deal because of the lost revenue and for all the variety of platforms the talent is being paid less than they used to be (both on screen and off) which was why the WGA took the stance they did recently.

Edited by biakbiak

The criticism she's getting for a couple of impolitic remarks is really over the top. She basically said, "aw fuck no, I'm not happy," about her show getting renewed; she didn't say, "what? I have to spend another year with those fucking brat children? I wish they would all be in terrible accidents so the show will be cancelled," which is what one would think she said judging by the SM reaction to her. If people who've worked with her now want to say she's rude or petty or whatever, then that's okay because they're entitled to voice their opinions just as she is, but the degree to which people who haven't worked with her seem to be jumping on the WELL I'VE HEARD SHE'S HORRENDOUS bandwagon is a little much. And random people on the internet being obsessed with vandalizing her wikipedia page and sending her nasty tweets is a ridiculous overreaction to something that has literally nothing to do with their own lives. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree with you about the criticism.  It's weird that all these stories are coming out of the woodwork now --- because maybe some are true, and maybe others are totally fabricated and people just wanting to be part of the gossip "WELL I HEARD....."

Some of the social media reaction in my opinion, was totally fine.  The memes were hilarious.  I was honestly shocked by what she said.  It caused me actual anxiety.  I think that people are allowed to be surprised by something out of the ordinary.  I think it's okay for people's eyebrows to be raised, or to make funny comments, or memes that exaggerate, i.e. "Fuck them kids".  I mean, wanting the show to be cancelled WOULD lead to all of the other actors to losing that job.  That's where the "Fuck them kids" joke came from.  And honestly, it was a joke.

And other reactions went way over the top filled with anger and vitriol.  Some were even sexist and racist.

I think it's so stupid for some people to say these things to her directly, or @ her in their replies.  That's just internet etiquette 101.  (Although the people innocently saying "Congratulations on the renewal!" were very kind, and retroactively, that was VERY funny.  The one first Congratulations guy apologized for starting the shitstorm.  😂 )

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
(edited)

That is why a newcomer has to be careful in a cutthroat business in sitcom world. Anytime one may say something degrading to a show or anything can endure future consequences. This is where you better think before you post rules always come in effect. She is not a kid. She is a grown 37 year old woman who was part of this for 5 seasons straight. Remember the two Aunt Viv actors playing the same role from Fresh Prince of Bel Air? The first actor was a piece of work on set and they replaced her after 3 seasons. Constance has to be careful here. They could give her less screen time and who knows what else. This is not rewarding bad behavior. This is about being an adult here and not opening a can of worms.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well I'd never say anything negative about Original Aunt Viv 😂, but I totally agree with you that Constance is an adult and should have stepped away from the keyboard.  There's a lot of actors who refuse to do social media (but also, they have the clout to do so - some have spoken about studios trying to force them and their response was "Then I'll quit your movie.")  And she could hire somebody to just do politically correct posts, or almost nothing.  I.e. "Fresh off the Boat airs on Friday nights!"  That's what the kids on the show post about.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

That is why a newcomer has to be careful in a cutthroat business in sitcom world. Anytime one may say something degrading to a show or anything can endure future consequences

But the point is that newcomers or people who haven’t gotten a break until they are “old” which at Constance’s age was 32 and as an Asian American actress this was a dream role but she is also due to the writing become extremely unlikeable and repeating the same shit. When she signed on for the pilot and signed the contract it was an interesting role and her performance and the writing made her a fan favorite and stand out but over the course of literally years the writers have changed the character. To use the much more popular Friends example the role Matt Leblanc signed on for was a street smart dude who was great with social interactions cut to the later seasons and with his spinoff the writing morphed him into someone so stupid it was almost unbelievable that he could function in the world without a minder. Jessica started at as a classic but stereotypical Tiger mom who had heart and adored her family cut to 4-5 years later she is a one note asshole that has no redeeming qualities and that isn’t what she signed up for and isn’t interesting.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

But the point is that newcomers or people who haven’t gotten a break until they are “old” which at Constance’s age was 32 and as an Asian American actress this was a dream role but she is also due to the writing become extremely unlikeable and repeating the same shit. When she signed on for the pilot and signed the contract it was an interesting role and her performance and the writing made her a fan favorite and stand out but over the course of literally years the writers have changed the character. To use the much more popular Friends example the role Matt Leblanc signed on for was a street smart dude who was great with social interactions cut to the later seasons and with his spinoff the writing morphed him into someone so stupid it was almost unbelievable that he could function in the world without a minder. Jessica started at as a classic but stereotypical Tiger mom who had heart and adored her family cut to 4-5 years later she is a one note asshole that has no redeeming qualities and that isn’t what she signed up for and isn’t interesting.

Right or even Alan on Two and a Half Men. He went from being a man down on his luck who couldn't catch a break from anyone who had a successful business to a man who mooched off everyone. Everyone was about kill him in his sleep from being such an asshole. He said later on: "It wasn't what I signed up for and I never thought we would first go on as long as we did and second when it was forced to why Alan was still living with Charlie and later Waldo." 

• Love 3
(edited)

Nearly every show in history goes down in quality from the great early seasons.  A lot of artists feel creatively stifled.  I'll speculate that's why so many writers leave successful shows to start their own projects, and I'll speculate that's why the show changes or morphs and goes down in (subjectively judged) quality.  The difference is they don't make remarks like this publicly.  

I personally love FOTB but I've seen people on Twitter taking their chance to trash the show now and it's like....... Constance said some poorly thought out remarks.  Instead of just saying nothing, or talking about that, why do people have to trash the show?  It feels so.............. irrelevant and needlessly mean, like people are afraid to criticize what Constance said so they trash the show instead.

I think Constance wants to get into movies permanently, no TV, that's my personal speculation, and her longer apology kind of points to that too.  There's been many, many before her, mentioned here, I'll include Blake Lively, why not, but the difference is, Blake didn't take to social media to say shit like this. 

I'm on the side of "This was a bad decision on her part" and not "The show's trash anyways".  I personally still really like the show and am so happy it exists.  Writing, creating, producing a show is extremely hard - I'm surprised that people would take this opportunity to put the show down instead of her remarks!

I think "Friends" MAJORLY dipped in quality but if Matt LeBlanc was like "Screw you guys, I'm out" I think everyone would of course be shocked, whether the show was bad or not.

I'm so curious how the other actors feel!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

So it is a Pierce Brosnan situation. I'm sure if Twitter were around in 1986 he would tweet more than "Fuck." after having to lose the James Bond gig!

I believe her but man she is going to have to make it up to the cast and crew when they start shooting the new season! Pay for drinks, dinner, get them gifts, the whole works.

53 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

To use the much more popular Friends example the role Matt Leblanc signed on for was a street smart dude who was great with social interactions cut to the later seasons and with his spinoff the writing morphed him into someone so stupid it was almost unbelievable that he could function in the world without a minder.

Yeah but I think Matt LeBlanc was a big part of that. He said he didn't think it would be believable that the girls would be friends with a skirtchaser the way Joey was originally. Yes, Joey became dumber but he also became sweeter and more loveable. Of course it bit him in the ass later and screwed over his spinoff because they had to make Joey smarter to lead in his own sitcom which changed the character and what people liked him about him!

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, alihart41 said:

Co-opting #MeToo in that apology is a choice.

How did she do that?

ETA: Never mind I just saw the last line. Yep, not helping herself there.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, alihart41 said:

Co-opting #MeToo in that apology is a choice.

Yeah, seriously.  She's been doing a lot of gaslighting in the past 24 hours.

I'm just also so annoyed at her pretending everyone hated that she swore.  I don't think most people care about that at all. 

@VCRTracking, she invoked Believe Women.  I'm pretty sure Believe Women is about believing survivors of rape, assault, harassment...... not this.

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 1.39.26 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Yes, Joey became dumber but he also became sweeter and more loveable.

That is most definitely a YMMV. There was a balance very early on but his stupidity made him neither sweeter or lovable in my opinion  by season five he was actually more of an asshole and super crazy stupid that is when I thought no one even basic cis gender male and females presented on the show would hang with him.

• Love 2
(edited)
18 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

That is most definitely a YMMV. There was a balance very early on but his stupidity made him neither sweeter or lovable in my opinion  by season five he was actually more of an asshole and super crazy stupid that is when I thought no one even basic cis gender male and females presented on the show would hang with him.

I think Phoebe became a bigger asshole later. Ross is seen as problematic now because of his possessiveness and jealousy. They all really became exaggerated as the series went on.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2