Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: Fresh Off The Press

FOTB won two Young Artist Awards last night, "Outstanding Young Ensemble in a TV Series" for Ian Chen, Forrest Wheeler, and Hudson Yang, and "Best Performance in a TV Series - Recurring Young Actress (14 - 21)" for Luna Blaise. 

(edited)

Eddie Huang is going to have a food/travel show on Viceland (new network that replaced H2), from the previews the real life Jessica and Louis will appear on the show. It premieres April 28th.

Edited by biakbiak

Eddie's food/travel show for Vice was originally called Fresh Off the Boat. He changed the name to Huang's World so that the sitcom could be named Fresh Off the Boat because it's the name of his memoir (which is what the sitcom was originally based upon). You can watch the previous seasons on YouTube.

His dad was definitely in one of the episodes where he went to Taiwan (IIRC Eddie took two trips there - I can't remember if he took his dad the first time or the second time, but it was right after his book came out because he brought a copy and showed it while they were eating at a dumpling restaurant). I don't think he's taken his mom on location before though (or if he did, she wasn't on camera).

(edited)

Eddie Huang was on The Late Show (Colbert) the other night. I don't think I've ever seen him before, and it struck me how the actor who plays him (Hudson Yang) really has him nailed.

In case anyone missed it!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Viceland posted the Orlando episode of Huang's World on youtube so you can see Eddie, Evan, Jessica, and Louise (no Emery though!) celebrating Chinese New Year.

This is a deleted scene from the same episode where Eddie and Evan make a Chinese New Year dinner in Brooklyn:

The ABC comedy returns Jan. 2 with two big-name guest stars. Cheryl Hines appears as Faye, Honey’s mother, a conservative woman who is opinionated about her daughter’s choices. When she comes to Orlando to help her daughter prepare for her baby, Honey enlists Jessica’s help to buffer against Faye’s meddling and controlling nature. Also, Niecy Nash will appear as Wilhelmina, a “child sage” who teaches a parenting class based on New Age philosophies. She’s calm and centered with an awkward sense of humor. I’d put good money on these two roles being connected.

EW

17 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

ABC, what is with casting women in mother roles when their co-stars are only 15 or 16 years their senior? They did it with Elizabeth Pena and Sofia in MF. Now, FOB? C'mon, ABC, be realistic.

Cheryl is 18 years older and I could very easily see Honey being the product of a young mother, though i also think the character is supposed to be younger than Chelsey is in real life.

She's 34, but the dated hairstyle she wears on the show makes her look older. Sort of the way the 21-year-olds on the Miss America pageant always look 40 to me because of the big hair and heavy makeup. (Though I haven't watched Miss America in years, so maybe it's better now.) If you look at pictures of Chelsey Crisp where she's not done up for the show, she looks a little younger.

4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Yeah, I remember one episode where Honey mentioned being 28, I think. Not sure why they made her so ridiculously young. I mean the actress is gorgeous but she is clearly in her mid- to late-30s at least.

Thanks! I knew there was an episode that mentioned her age but couldn't remember what age it was only that it was several years younger than Chelsey's actual age.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'll watch to see if they make Jessica snd Evan into human beings again instead of the beastly, hateful characters they became. If not, I'm out.

Completely agree. They really need to get Jessica and Evan from: "We are super micro managing and always trying to one up everyone, when secretly we hate it, but keep doing it." Back to: "WE have problems, but need to get over ourselves." 

I guess with the success of Crazy Rich Asians she was hoping to be free from the confines of the TV show. Her social media reaction isn't a great PR move though. Maybe she's hoping her behavior can get the show cancelled instead. (I'm partly kidding with that statement)

• Love 4
(edited)

I cannot believe she is acting like this.  This is so embarrassing.

I went to Jennifer Aniston's IMDb page and confirmed that she starred in TWELVE movies during the time "Friends" was on.  I mean, she's white, and it's a whole different ballgame, but to have a television show run this long in this day and age is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE success........ and Asians like me just lap it up!!!

Queen Meryl Streep is also on TV now.... so is Julia Roberts......  I just ............. LOL this drama is too much for me on a Friday aft!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Dear Constance Wu:

Shelley Long, David Caruso, and Katherine Heigl say hello.

Signed,

Don't Bite The Hand That Feeds You

truth agree GIF by Denyse

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

If she feels that way, they should get rid of her character. Jessica is awful anyway. I'd rather have more Louis and Eddie and his friends.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 11

Jennifer Aniston may not be the fairest comparison— Friends was a much bigger, much better-paying gig than FOTB could ever even hope to be— but still, not a good look! Melissa McCarthy continued on with Mike & Molly from 2010-2016, even after her breakout in Bridesmaids and a continued steady film career.

• Love 8
(edited)

"Friends" was a "Good paying gig" because David Schwimmer advocated (as one of the highest paid actors, if not the highest paid on the show) that all 6 should go in and negotiate as a group.  He didn't have a public tantrum.  It didn't start out being some great paying gig.  The actors created those terms.

Allison Janney won an Oscar during the show "Mom" and she's still on the show "Mom".  

I use these examples to show that television doesn't necessarily stifle one's art or success.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 13
(edited)

I think it’s a bad look to take to twitter but there are also a lot of behind the scenes goings on with Nahnatchka Khan leaving so maybe she isn’t happy with both her part and work environment.

This amused me:

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Friends" was a "Good paying gig" because David Schwimmer advocated (as one of the highest paid actors, if not the highest paid on the show) that all 6 should go in and negotiate as a group.  He didn't have a public tantrum.  It didn't start out being some great paying gig.  The actors created those terms.

They were in a position to negotiate at all because they were the stars of one of the top ten highest-rated shows on television every season it aired. Fresh does not even rank top 30.

After deleting the "No it's not" tweet she has this to say:

I don't buy it lmao

• Love 3