Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show in the Media

• Start Topic

THE LATE SHOW with STEPHEN COLBERT will broadcast three live shows following the upcoming presidential and vice presidential debates. THE LATE SHOW will air live Monday, Sept. 26 (11:35 PM, live ET/delayed PT) following the first presidential debate, Tuesday, Oct. 4 (11:35 PM, live ET/delayed PT) following the vice presidential debate, andWednesday, Oct. 19 (11:35 PM, live ET/delayed PT) after coverage of the third presidential debate. Colbert will host each night live from the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York. The guest lineup and additional information will be made available as details are confirmed.

• Love 1

Clinton will be there, even if Trump stages a one-man strike.  She can do the whole thing as Q&A with the moderators, and Trump will look chicken.  So Trump will be there too, because even he can see that not going is a loser thing, and the debate commission is not going to cave to him (unlike the networks running the primary debates).

So yeah, the debates happen.

Maybe he needed to buy a new mattress.

I don't care if he takes days off, but I thought his commentary on the latest Trump scandal was so weak that it would have been better if he just stayed quiet. It's not necessary for him to weigh in if he has nothing to say. Contrast it with Sam Bee, who also didn't have a show that night. She released a hilarious little video that was worth the effort to watch, and actually had something to say.

They usually tape the Friday show on Thursday after they tape the Thursday show.  At the end of the RNC (which ran something like 40 minutes late because Trump), they were live with the Thursday show, and then held that audience captive over until about a quarter after 2 in the a.m. - when Steven did his exit walk up the aisle, the audience behind him were putting on jackets and looked as ready to leave as passengers ready to get off a plane that's been circling for three hours.

The way to see the taping schedule is to go to the LSSC page on cbs.com, click Tickets, and the filming dates pop up.  BTW, they are apparently not doing shows at all next week, and will be back Oct 17.

• Love 1
On 08/10/2016 at 5:01 PM, Raradra said:

Tickets for November have just been released. Since there is a live taping on November 8th, I'd say the Showtime special is confirmed.

"Stephen Colbert’s Live Election Night Democracy’s Series Finale: Who’s Going To Clean Up This Shi*t?" will air on Tuesday, November 8 at 11 p.m. ET / 8 p.m. PT on Showtime.

• Love 1

Well, well, well. With the caveat that this particular survey is based only on YT views and views at individual network sites (i.e. it doesn't include FB or Twitter views), apparently Stephen is the most-streamed late-night TV host.

According to the second annual study of late-night streaming viewership by the analytics firm Jumpshot, Stephen Colbert had the largest share of the online video views in 2016, beating out last year’s winner Jimmy Fallon, who fell to third place behind The Daily Show’s Trevor Noah ... a spokesperson for The Late Show confirmed that Colbert’s total online stream numbers are up triple digits over last year ... Colbert’s biggest video of 2016 was Jon Stewart’s triumphant return to political commentary during the RNC, which has been viewed close to 16 million times. That same week, actress Laura Benanti’s Melania Trump impression gave Colbert his second most-watched video at 9 million. A more recent appearance by first lady Michelle Obama clocked similar numbers.

• Love 2

OK stephen colbert..................I like him and his show, but i am gonna have to call him out because he is being quite hypocritical lately.

lucky for me, i have proof! YAY. he gave an interview to 'face the nation' a few days ago and I was just done.  now I need to get this out of my system.

here we go. remember when he had donald trump on his show? he got criticized for it, because he was too polite/nice to him.

here is what stephen said about that interview ----> http://www.vulture.com/2016/09/stephen-colbert-regrets-his-trump-interview.html

the part that stands out to me is the following ---> Colbert recalls. “It was actually boring, because he wouldn’t even look me in the eye. Being nice to a guy who isn’t nice to other people, it doesn’t serve you that much." If the two ever sit down together again, the tenor of their exchange might be much different. Says Colbert, "I’ve surrendered to my natural instincts, and to how I actually feel on a daily basis."

so he even criticized himself and the interview. correct? no? Am i reading that right? I think i am.

so let's fast forward to a show he did regarding pizzagate on Dec 8 ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfXWXNItF_Y

at 8:20, he calls out liberals for criticizing his interview with donald trump

even though HE HIMSELF ended up critiquing himself and the interview. Hypocrite on Line 1, thank you....

ok, so fast forward to face the nation this past Sunday. i have copied and pasted the actual transcript:

DICKERSON: Given that you and he have had disagreements, would he come on the show?

Would you want him on to interview?

COLBERT: I’m not going to say no to the president of the United States. I want want to know that I could interview him in a way that would be respectful, though, because I don’t think it would be fun for me or profitable for him in any way, or the audience, if I couldn’t do it in a respectful way and I think -- I think probably by the time he gets into office, I’ll have calmed down a little bit, because that would be important to me, because I believe in the presidency and I believe in our system and -- and, you know, when I had him on at the beginning of the year, I went to great pains to try to be respectful to him, which really upset some of my liberal fans. < ---- once again, calling out liberals for the DT interview that he didnt like as well. hypocrite on line 2, too!

But it’s important to me to have a politician on and to allow them to be able to say what their -- their -- their thoughts are and not be some sort of, you know, what -- what people often wanted me to be at the old show, which is some sort of ninja word assassin that slips underneath everybody’s radar and then slaps the handle on the knife before they even know that it’s between their ribs. ---> i would agree with this, except he insults trump ALL THE TIME on his show. he has that right, but now he is saying he wants to be all nice and respectful to him if donald is on the show again? so he wants to talk smack about him when he is not on the show, but be nice to him when he is on the show. HYPOCRITTEEEE on all the damn lines

Stephen can still interview Donald Trump and call him out. Nobody is asking Stephen to punch him in the face, but Stephen has shown he can call donald out. evidence right here --> https://youtu.be/byP7XvzFqRc

so what exactly is Stephen saying? I have no idea. he wants to be nice, but not super nice? huh? Also, he doesn't like being called out for the DT interview, but he seems to have forgotten he himself didnt like it. 

I think Stephen is confused. the math is not adding up. 

I still like his show, but the hypocrisy is very grating

Edited by Lana X

There are choices other than being a backstabby ninja and an ass-kissy sycophant. He could ask serious, relevant questions and still be respectful. One would hope a president is capable of answering serious questions about policy, or explaining his or his administration's thinking and behavior. If a particular president can't do that, it's not the interviewer's fault nor job to cover it up in the name of saving the presidential face. In fact, it might be a sign of respect for the office to assume competence to do those things, and to inform the public if it's not possible.

Stephen needs to decide if he wants to be funny, or serious, or a little of both, and whether he's a journalist or a commentator or a humor/chaos act, but he needs to learn to separate his own ego and inability to take criticism from that of his interviewees. I've found him to be quite inconsistent about all of this, as well, and it's too bad he doesn't seem to be self-aware enough to work it out in private instead of being all over the map in public about it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lana X said:

at 8:20, he calls out liberals for criticizing his interview with donald trump

even though HE HIMSELF ended up critiquing himself and the interview. Hypocrite on Line 1, thank you....

Being nice and being respectful are actually two different things.  As a geezer, I know that being scrupulously, formally polite is a wonderful way to treat someone you hate.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

There are choices other than being a backstabby ninja and an ass-kissy sycophant. He could ask serious, relevant questions and still be respectful. One would hope a president is capable of answering serious questions about policy, or explaining his or his administration's thinking and behavior. If a particular president can't do that, it's not the interviewer's fault nor job to cover it up in the name of saving the presidential face. In fact, it might be a sign of respect for the office to assume competence to do those things, and to inform the public if it's not possible.

Stephen needs to decide if he wants to be funny, or serious, or a little of both, and whether he's a journalist or a commentator or a humor/chaos act, but he needs to learn to separate his own ego and inability to take criticism from that of his interviewees. I've found him to be quite inconsistent about all of this, as well, and it's too bad he doesn't seem to be self-aware enough to work it out in private instead of being all over the map in public about it.

YES TO ALL THIS. you brilliantly pointed out another issue I have with him. When Jimmy Fallon got criticized for his DT interview, he came back and said "uh, this is what i do with everyone..." and it is true. I dont think he has ever had a serious interview or called people out. he's silly and he sticks to it. boom. end of story. 

Now I dont know what TPTB at CBS want. maybe they want Donald to come back on Colbert's show....so maybe Stephen has to blare out the "I wanna be nice to him" schtick even if stephen personally feels differently. I just dont know how else to explain the strange vibe of "donald trump sucks, but if he is on my show, I'll be so sweet and nice to him!" 

when he tried to get Donald to admit Obama was born in the U.S., all he had to do was say "he was and he has proved it sir. I am sorry, but you are wrong." and i think if he had done that, maybe the criticism would not have happened. Donald could have said "whatever" to it but at least Stephen would be on record as correcting him without being a jackass about it. there is a way. it happens all the time with journalists, which you made a good point of making. 

If stephen wants to be a silly interviewer, then maybe he needs to stop talking about world issues such as shootings, etc and stop insulting DT. because to insult him all the time and then be nice to his face is like high school behavior. i dont know. it's all weird to me. what do you wanna be stephen?! lol. figure it out. :-)

Being nice and being respectful are actually two different things.  As a geezer, I know that being scrupulously, formally polite is a wonderful way to treat someone you hate.

you're right, but as i pointed out, Stephen himself didn't like the interview he did with Donald Trump, but he has now twice called out others for not liking it either. you cant say something negative about yourself and then get mad when others say the same thing. that does not make sense.

This all depends on what kind of restrictions, if any, CBS has on what Stephen can say on his show. Of course, the worst thing Stephen can do is follow the same path Bill Maher has taken and become an obnoxious, ultra serious asswipe who has taken himself far too seriously and has sacrificed his craft at the expense of trying to be a difference maker that ultimately gets nowheres. After all, Stephen has studied at the feet of Jon, who considers himself a comedian FIRST.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Victor the Crab said:

This all depends on what kind of restrictions, if any, CBS has on what Stephen can say on his show. Of course, the worst thing Stephen can do is follow the same path Bill Maher has taken and become an obnoxious, ultra serious asswipe who has taken himself far too seriously and has sacrificed his craft at the expense of trying to be a difference maker that ultimately gets nowheres. After all, Stephen has studied at the feet of Jon, who considers himself a comedian FIRST.

my thing with stephen is he is good at biting back, but not constantly ala bill maher. he called out ted cruz once when ted was a guest on his show. neither one was a jerk to the other. but they obviously disagreed a bit. in the case of donald trump, i get the weird sense that stephen only seems to want to go at him when he is *not* a guest and to me, that is hypocritical. he even hinted he would not be so 'polite' if donald were on his show again and he would be more....critical/pointed towards him. but as i said, he is backtracking a lot recently and i am not sure why

jon and stephen both seem lost on what they are exactly in terms of their jobs. i call them 'comediantators' because they are both comedians but they both do commentary as well on current events/political news.

If President Trump is looking for a celebrity to host the White House Correspondents Dinner, Stephen Colbert is available......

HMMMMM. No. If Trump had a good sense of humor and wasn't racist, sexist, etc....then I would be down for this. 

Stephen or not, I dont think this event should even be held this year. Trump would probably threaten to ruin the host's career, then tweet about the fake news, blah blah. He's just everything that previous presidents are not. not sure why anyone would want to be a part of this. 

I take it back. you could invite Sean Hannity as a host and have fox news there. ;-)

Edited by Lana X
25 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

If only 100K signatures could get someone fired ...

colbert.JPG

It's pretty telling that most of #FireColbert people main complaint is how Colbert disrespected Trump, as oppose to his supposedly homophobic comment.

On 06. 05. 2017. at 0:53 AM, mariah23 said:

I'm not sure why is everyone making such a big deal out of this. The FCC received complaints about the comment, so they must investigate it. In all likelihood, nothing will come out of this investigation (other than increase in Late Show ratings).

• Love 1

Interesting take on the 'homophobic joke' imbroglio by feminist writer Lindy West, headlined 'The Stephen Colbert gay joke row is a repulsively cynical ploy by far-right homophobes'. Excerpt:

The far right, smelling an opportunity to manipulate the left into eating their own powerful and popular satirist, had pounced on Colbert. Oh, the homophobia, they wailed! Wasn’t it terrible? #FireColbert took hold on Twitter – strangely, not on the feeds of those oppressed by homophobia, but on the feeds of homophobes ...

Principles aren’t a game, a card you can sanctimoniously deploy when you want to control young women’s lives or get elected to Congress and secretly withdraw when your teenage mistress gets pregnant or you see a hot guy’s foot in the next bathroom stall. Pretending to care about gay people’s safety and humanity so you can use it as leverage to further your agenda of destroying gay lives is one of the most repulsively cynical ploys I’ve ever seen from a repulsive, cynical party.

Republicans have been fighting to strip gay people of legal protections and equal rights for decades. Suddenly, they’re demanding apologies and doling out pink slips for homophobia? Fine. I expect your apologies in writing and your resignations by Friday.

• Love 5

If you wondered what Trump thinks of Colbert...

You see a no-talent guy like Colbert. There’s nothing funny about what he says. And what he says is filthy. And you have kids watching. And it only builds up my base. It only helps me, people like him. The guy was dying. By the way they were going to take him off television, then he started attacking me and he started doing better. But his show was dying. I’ve done his show. … But when I did his show, which by the way was very highly rated. It was high highest rating. The highest rating he’s ever had.

http://time.com/4775633/donald-trump-stephen-colbert-cnn-msnbc-chris-cuomo/

(prays that this enters the monologue tonight.)

• Love 3

'The Late Show' has been nominated for Emmys in 'Variety Talk Series', 'Writing for a Variety Series' and 'Directing for a Variety Series' categories.

'Stephen Colbert’s Live Election Night Democracy’s Series Finale: Who’s Going to Clean Up This Sh*t?' has been nominated in 'Variety Music Or Comedy Special', 'Writing For A Variety Special' and 'Directing For A Variety Special'.

Source: http://www.emmys.com/awards/nominees-winners

• Love 5