Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show in the Media

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I would love it if Jon Stewart is the one to present the award for the Best Variety series, since Stephen Colbert, Samantha Bee, and John Oliver all came from The Daily Show.

Sounds like a great idea. A nice acknowledgement and good fodder for interviews and bits on the shows that don't win. Although if we are looking for a way to salute the nominees' common inspiration with the presenter maybe they should call the White House instead?

A profile on him from...In Style magazine?! http://www.instyle.com/celebrity/stephen-colbert-interview 

I may be enjoying the pictures a bit too much.

I would love it if Jon Stewart is the one to present the award for the Best Variety series, since Stephen Colbert, Samantha Bee, and John Oliver all came from The Daily Show.

I can see him spinning this into a Sophie's Choice scenario which would make it outstanding.

• Love 2

Possibly a great excuse to start booking more women guests for a while (yes, I know some women are accused of this god awful behaviour as well, but nothing like as many). At this rate, they're going to have to start replacing guests with inanimate blocks of lard ('Have I Got News For You' joke).

(edited)

Devin Nunes did not like Stephen's interview

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nunes-on-colbert-danger_us_5a9b5d71e4b089ec353af434

Devin Nunes Call Colbert's Jokes About Him a 'Danger' in This Country

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) said Saturday that Stephen Colbert’s jokes about him are a “danger” in this country.

Colbert traveled to the Capitol on Friday’s episode of “The Late Show” in a spoof mission to tease information out of congressmen about possible collusion between President Donald Trump’s campaign and Russia. Colbert was armed with his own memo stating: “Devon Nunes is a [redacted].”

Colbert managed to crack a smile from stone-faced Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) when he asked him if he was “jealous” that Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) gets to work with Nunes. 

“This is the danger that we have in this country,” Nunes said when Fox News’ Neil Cavuto asked how he felt about the jokes.

“The left controls not only the universities in this country, but they also control Hollywood in this country, and the mainstream media, so conservatives in this country are under attack ... they attack people who are trying to get to the truth,” the head of the House Intelligence Committee added.

Edited by ALenore
  • Love 3
(edited)
14 minutes ago, ALenore said:

“The left controls not only the universities in this country, but they also control Hollywood in this country, and the mainstream media, so conservatives in this country are under attack ... they attack people who are trying to get to the truth,” the head of the House Intelligence Committee added.

How many times are we gonna hear that conservatives are under attack by all the mean, elitist liberals? Nunes and his ilk need to get a sense of humor, geez.

There was nothing “dangerous” about SC’s segment. 

Statements like his are actually more dangerous than SC’s segment. Using such a broad brush to paint entire groups of people as “the left” is dangerous. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, ALenore said:

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) said Saturday that Stephen Colbert’s jokes about him are a “danger” in this country.

Wow, when you're afraid of a talk show host/comedian, your skin is thinner than an onion (as opposed to The Onion).

• Love 10
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

LSSC has been nominated for a TCA award!

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN SKETCH/VARIETY SHOWS

Does the "Teen Choice Awards" moniker mean that these shows are primarily appreciated by teens? Technically voters just have to be "at least thirteen (13) years of age," so that would include older folks like me. But maybe the title of the award attracts more younger viewers than older? 

I got the impression that he genuinely loves his job, the audience, and his wife (cute mention in description of his typical day of enjoying a phone call with her). 

My archivist self is a tiny bit horrified that the New York Times TimesTalks.com site does not indicate dates of their talks, and no date is mentioned in the recording either, but this Colbert-related site indicates it was recorded this August 13th: https://www.colbertnewshub.com/2018/08/10/stephen-colbert-to-appear-in-conversation-with-sopan-deb-at-timestalks/

Edited by shapeshifter
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I got the impression that he genuinely loves his job, the audience, and his wife (cute mention in description of his typical day of enjoying a phone call with her). 

My archivist self is a tiny bit horrified that the New York Times TimesTalks.com site does not indicate dates of their talks, and no date is mentioned in the recording either, but this Colbert-related site indicates it was recorded this August 13th: https://www.colbertnewshub.com/2018/08/10/stephen-colbert-to-appear-in-conversation-with-sopan-deb-at-timestalks/

Agree about no date indicated, but I figured it was recent since he was talking about the Nikki Minaj segment that had just been on a few days before. But who's gonna remember that down the road... 

I watched the segment on The Americans after this and there was a date on that (April).  That was also quite good. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Agree about no date indicated, but I figured it was recent since he was talking about the Nikki Minaj segment that had just been on a few days before. But who's gonna remember that down the road..

He also mentioned a joke that he said was almost certainly going to be cut (about the low turnout at the white supremacist rally) because it was standalone and they prefer to have a set of three, but I am pretty sure they kept it in. But that would be even harder to pinpoint than Nicki Minaj.

I was pleased and interested to hear that they want the monologue to tell stories rather than just scatter one-liners around. 

• Love 2

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch the TimesTalks interview with Stephen here. Very lovely, enjoyable hour-I love how thoughtful and in depth his responses were.

On 8/23/2018 at 3:13 AM, shapeshifter said:

That bit about his wife made me smile, too. I like it when he talks about his family in general in interviews-his love for them comes through so strongly and it's just really sweet to see/hear. And I like that he still talks with Jon Stewart and gets his advice on stuff, too :).

Agreed on loving his job as well-I think the fact he's so hands-on and actively involved in everything, instead of just saying to his staff, "Well, you guys take care of it, I'm gonna chill in my office all day" is definite proof of that. I think you'd have to truly love your work to put in those kinds of hours and effort and attention to detail, especially considering how chaotic the news can be and how often things may change within the span of a day. I got exhausted just listening to his description of what a typical day at work entails.

It doesn't surprise me that he'd be that involved, though-he's always seemed like a hard worker in general (seriously, I don't know whether to admire that he never takes sick days or be like, "Go to freaking bed and get some rest the next time you're sick!" Did love his response when the moderator asked about having procedures in place just in case, though: "Okay, you can host!" LOL :D). 

I also fully agree with his comments about the show being a reflection of the day's events and people's feelings about them, as opposed to being an (intentional, at least) influence, and simply being a way to laugh at the craziness at the end of the day. That's certainly one of the reasons I enjoy the show-the beliefs I have about various issues, I'd hold them whether Colbert and his show were a thing or not. His show just helps me feel less alone in my thoughts more than anything else. And even if the news is good in general elsewhere, if I've had a tough personal day, it's nice to watch something funny to take my mind off that for a while, too. Just having a funny show to enjoy for an hour in general is good, regardless of the reasons why I'm watching it. 

Plus, the fact that his comedy isn't needlessly cruel helps, too. It was interesting to hear him explain where his personal lines were in terms of what he would and wouldn't joke about, and I definitely think that's one of the reasons people like him. That said, if his show were influential in some way, it's fair to be concerned about how to handle that influence and how to respond to it, because that can definitely bring a lot of unintended issues and consequences and such...but given he seems like a decent person overall, I'd be okay with that kind of influence spreading outward to society in general in some way, shape, or form.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:33 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was pleased and interested to hear that they want the monologue to tell stories rather than just scatter one-liners around. 

Yes. I immediately thought of Craig Ferguson when he discussed that, because his monologues were like stories as well. He could riff for a good ten, fifteen, even twenty minutes on one particular topic and take the monologue down some interesting side paths. That was one of the things I loved most about his show, so that would explain why I like Stephen's monologues, too, then.

On a different note, I would very much love to see all the stuff they'd had planned for their election night special that they never got to use :D. I hope they do get a chance to show us all of that someday. The story about the guys changing the message written on their butts was hilarious. 

Anywho, yeah. Great interview. Thanks, @TVcritic, for sharing it here. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I also fully agree with his comments about the show being a reflection of the day's events and people's feelings about them, as opposed to being an (intentional, at least) influence, and simply being a way to laugh at the craziness at the end of the day. . . .

Plus, the fact that his comedy isn't needlessly cruel helps, too. It was interesting to hear him explain where his personal lines were in terms of what he would and wouldn't joke about, and I definitely think that's one of the reasons people like him. That said, if his show were influential in some way, it's fair to be concerned about how to handle that influence and how to respond to it, because that can definitely bring a lot of unintended issues and consequences and such...but given he seems like a decent person overall, I'd be okay with that kind of influence spreading outward to society in general in some way, shape, or form.

Thanks for your thoughtful response, @Annber03. The interview could have run to two hours with commercials and intros etc., and often scores of posts are made elsewhere on these boards about a single hour episode.

I wonder if SC's real influence will be imparting a measure of own spiritual awareness to those who could just as easily be swept away with a message that unbridled meanness is an appropriate and useful response to the injustices of the powerful — whether it be a world ruler or one's employer or a policeman.

• Love 3
On 7/16/2017 at 7:16 PM, anna0852 said:

Also, Trevor Noah.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks for your thoughtful response, @Annber03. The interview could have run to two hours with commercials and intros etc., and often scores of posts are made elsewhere on these boards about a single hour episode.

I wonder if SC's real influence will be imparting a measure of own spiritual awareness to those who could just as easily be swept away with a message that unbridled meanness is an appropriate and useful response to the injustices of the powerful — whether it be a world ruler or one's employer or a policeman.

I like that thought :). I was on another site discussing the show some time back, and I remember somebody there said that they felt some of Colbert's reactions and responses to the more tragic and horrible stories that he does touch on on the show are the result of him looking to his deep faith and religious beliefs to impart some hope and pleas for positive change and such. I can totally believe that. 

Thank you for the kind words, too.

• Love 2

Did anyone else hear the 'Stephen! Stephen!' chant at the Emmys when the nominees were read for Outstanding Variety Talk Series? It was won by Last Week Tonight, but there was obviously a lot of love for Stephen in the theatre. :)

Edited by purist
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, purist said:

Did anyone else hear the 'Stephen! Stephen!' chant at the Emmys when the nominees were read for Outstanding Variety Talk Series? It was won by Last Week Tonight, but there was obviously a lot of love for Stephen in the theatre. :)

I loved that. I like Last Week Tonight, but I'm hoping Late Show wins next year.

• Love 3

Boy, they're really working on clearing house at CBS lately, aren't they? Good news, especially given this:

In one particular instance, Favale allegedly told a coworker that he “got four erections” while watching singer Jennifer Hudson rehearse for a 2015 Late Showappearance. He is also said to have made derogatory comments about Colbert’s sexuality.

Sounds like a real charming guy :/. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Just noticed that Anderson Cooper has an hour long interview with Stephen on CNN tomorrow night. (Thurs)!

They showed some of it last night. The full interview comes on at 9 tonight, I’m tuning in!

• Love 2
On 8/14/2019 at 8:19 PM, zillabreeze said:

Just noticed that Anderson Cooper has an hour long interview with Stephen on CNN tomorrow night. (Thurs)!

That was one of the most beautiful conversations I've ever witnessed. *verklempt*

• Love 7
22 hours ago, ahisma said:

That was one of the most beautiful conversations I've ever witnessed. *verklempt*

I know this is the case with most comedians, but Stephen’s serious side has a bit of sadness to it. Given the trauma he experienced as a child, it makes sense, of course. It makes me appreciate what he does on a nightly basis for us even more. 

• Love 4

I have this saved on my DVR, but had yet to sit down and watch it, so I caught the repeat tonight. It was a very good interview, indeed. I just really love how deeply committed he is to his faith (and I'm somebody who isn't really religious), and how that, in part, shapes his views of what's happening in the country currently, and his criticism of this administration. That really gives it a whole other, deeper perspective, and explains some of his passion and frustration when he does get on a rant about whatever horrible news we're hearing. 

I also liked that he explained his show as a reassurance to those watching that they're not losing their minds, that they are seeing and hearing what is actually happening. That is definitely one of the many reasons I like watching his show. I don't feel so alone. 

And everything about the loss of his dad and his brothers. Whew. I kept imagining his mom walking around this mostly empty, no doubt very lonely at times, home after losing her husband and two of her children, and my heart just broke for her. It's really touching to hear how Stephen and his mom looked out for each other after all of that, and how that helped shape his attitude about and direction of his life. I was especially struck by Stephen's comment about how the version of him that existed before that tragedy was different from the one that came to be, 'cause it made me think about my own dad. He'd lost his own father when he was just eight, and my dad used to tell me all the time about the significant ways in which his dad's death affected the course of his life going forward, up to and including meeting my mom and all that happened from there. I think he would've very much identified with and related to Stephen's comments about being grateful for all that life gives you, including the suffering. That optimism and hopeful attitude is another thing I really admire about Stephen, 'cause that's how I tend to go through life as well. 

It was also very sweet to hear that he'd written a letter to Anderson after his mom passed, and the comfort and connection that brought him, and I liked hearing Anderson talk about how the losses in his life shaped him as well. His thing about throwing himself headlong into danger explains so much of why he's in the profession he's in. I feel I learned a lot about him here, too, and admire and respect him even more as well. 

So yeah. Good conversation all around. I'd be all for more one-on-one interviews like this with both men, whether they talk to each other again or somebody else entirely. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 7

CBS Announces Contract Extension With Stephen Colbert

CBS announced today that the Network has reached a new contract extension with Stephen Colbert to continue as host of the top-rated THE LATE SHOW with STEPHEN COLBERT through August 2023. Colbert, who took over as host of THE LATE SHOW on Sept. 8, 2015, was originally signed through August 2020.

“Stephen Colbert is one of the most entertaining, influential and relevant voices in America today,” said David Nevins, Chief Creative Officer, CBS Corporation, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Showtime Networks, Inc. “His monologue has become a vibrant part of the national discussion, and a spot on Stephen’s couch places guests from the worlds of entertainment, news and politics in front of late night’s largest and most desirable audience. We’re incredibly proud of the broadcast and thrilled to extend our relationship with Stephen for years to come.”

Said Colbert, “I’ve been asked by CBS to host THE LATE SHOW until 2023, and I have every intention of honoring their subpoena.”

• Love 12

'Late Show With Stephen Colbert' Ups Ariel Dumas to Head Writer

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert is shaking up its writing staff, promoting Ariel Dumas to head writer alongside Jay Katsir.

Additionally, supervising producer Opus Moreschi will take on more responsibilities at the CBS late night show, such as overseeing long-lead projects while remaining part of the writing staff. Katsir, who was already serving as head writer, will also be a supervising producer.

"I have worked with all three of these incredibly talented people since The Colbert Report," said Colbert. "I am thrilled that someone as funny and dedicated as Ariel will be my new head writer and that Opus and Jay will continue to be comedic Gibraltars on which I can lean and host donors from whom I can harvest organs."

• Love 4

WaPo's TV critic says Stephen Colbert answering Anderson Cooper’s question about grief was the best TV moment of 2019.

Those minutes the two men spent understanding each other’s grief were a great and rare gift to the rest of us, particularly those coping with loss. In a din of so much stupidity and chaos, it was a reminder that television’s most sublime power often rests in the act of two people taking a minute to slow down and open up.

• Love 11

‘The Late Show With Stephen Colbert’ Sets CBS Return Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

The lights in late night continue to come back on. CBS’ The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, the first late-night show to start daily online videos following the industry-wide production shutdown, is the first broadcast late-night talker to resume airing original episodes starting on Monday, March 30. Colbert just made the announcement on Twitter.

“I’m staying at home and so is everybody who works for me, but thanks to some amazing work by my staff and the CBS broadcasting folks, we will be back on Monday with new Late Shows,” he wrote. “Until then-Stay Strong!”

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert aired a fresh, shot-from-home monologue at the top of repeats on television Monday-Wednesday last week before the program went on planned 10-day hiatus for what was supposed to be March Madness coverage on CBS before the NCAA basketball tournament was canceled because of the growing health crisis. The monologues stayed close to Colbert’s in-studio openers with sharp political humor and extensive use of video clips and graphics.

• Love 3

‘Late Show With Stephen Colbert’ Cuts Ties With Music Producer Following Sexual Misconduct Allegation

Giovanni Cianci, music producer for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, has been fired after a woman accused him of sexual misconduct, we’ve learned.

In an Instagram post, musician Paige Stark alleges Cianci “harassed and attempted to assault” her. Stark told Deadline’s sister pub Variety, which first reported Cianci’s firing, that the incident took place in 2010 at the CMJ Music Marathon Conference. At the time, Cianci worked at Lookout Management. He was hired as music booker for Late Show in 2017.