Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show in the Media

• Start Topic

I guess you could say this about any type of show, but hosts like Carson and Letterman and even Conan were probably lucky to start out in the pre-internet era, and to be given time to get into the swing of things.  I do think that Stephen is finding a balance with the interviews, and doesn't have an issue going from sillier to more serious segments or vice versa, which is fine with me for one. It probably takes time for him and also for the writers to figure out what works and what doesn't in a new show, but I think they are getting there.  Personally, I have no problem at all with him using all his talents.

CBS seems to be still acting supportive, I've just read that Stephen will be hosting the Kennedy Center honors again for them next month.

According to Slate:  The Late Show With Stephen Colbert Has Become the Best Late-Night Show on TV

Re political demographics:

The Hollywood Reporter recently commissioned a study about the state of late night that found that Fallon is “king” in the ratings and that Republicans don’t much like Colbert. (And yes, Republicans do watch late night.) Some 33 percent of Kimmel’s audience and 31 percent of Fallon’s audience are Republicans, compared with only 17 percent of Colbert’s. This is not a particularly troublesome bit of information for Colbert. CBS knew whom they were hiring. Late-night hosts take a long time to find their footing and their audience. Colbert is already doing much better numbers than David Letterman was, and though he may be trailing Fallon, he’s neck and neck with Kimmel. And—if this counts for anything—his show is good.

• Love 2

Slate marked Stephen's 3-month anniversary yesterday with several stories:

Stephen Colbert Used to Be the Toughest Interviewer in Late-Night

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2015/12/the_late_show_ruined_stephen_colbert_s_interviewing_style.html

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert Has Become the Best Late-Night Show on TV

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2015/12/the_late_show_with_stephen_colbert_has_become_the_best_late_night_show_on.html

A Guide to the New Canon of Late Show Recurring Bits

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/12/08/recurring_bits_on_the_late_show_with_stephen_colbert_a_guide_to_the_new.html

Has Network Television Defanged Colbert’s Political Bite?

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2015/12/has_the_late_show_defanged_stephen_colbert_s_political_bite.html

Interesting article on Salon in regard to last night's show:

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/18/this_is_why_stephen_colbert_keeps_losing_to_jimmy_fallon/

What it is.... is a fucking weird correlation between a show clip, a newspaper headline and an article.

The clip itself reveals some intellectual humor about world events, and a guest appearance by a global newsmaker/policymaker.

The headline says "This is why Stephen Colbert keeps losing to Jimmy Fallon".

Then the article itself doesn't follow up to explain WHY "This is why Stephen Colbert keeps losing to Jimmy Fallon". We could interpret it as "this is too eggheaded". Or we could interpret it as "America Am Too Dumb!"  The writer seems brave enough for the provoking headline, but not brave enough to actually explain it. Or if it's a good idea or a bad one for Colbert to be putting content like this out.

I interpreted the article as complimentary based on the subtitle "At the moment Bruce Springsteen is on Fallon, here's the brilliant but bizarre bit done by Colbert"  and the "another great bit" reference below, but I can see where the headline doesn't help matters.  There's been so much rating obsession lately mainly about "the demo" (and Stephen's overall numbers are better than that it appears) that I thought it was interesting that the article seemed to mainly focus on the content of the clips.  It does end abruptly though like a lot of these pieces seem to do.

"brilliant but bizarre" is a kind of backhanded compliment though. It doesn't really clear up the burning question "does this writer think it's a good thing that Colbert is doing this and a bad thing that Americans are too scared of thinking to watch". Or is the "bizarre" meant to communicate that he perfectly understands why Fallon is getting the viewers.

Set your DVRs for Sunday's "Face the Nation," since Stephen will be a guest. (CBS cross-promotion!)

In a clip released on Wednesday, the late-night show host tells CBS News John Dickerson that while he personally finds Trump’s views distasteful, he is encouraged by the fact that despite party elders wanting Trump out of the game, the people have “have decided that he is not going to” leave.

“I may disagree with anything that he’s saying and think that his proposals are a little…well, more than a little shocking,” said Colbert on Face the Nation. “But there is something really hopeful about the fact that, well, 36 percent of the likely voters want him so the people in the machine don’t get to say otherwise. That’s the one saving grace, I think, of his candidacy.”

• Love 1

I just watched the Colbert piece on Face The Nation...and yes, there were some interesting comments in it but the arrogance pouring out of Stephen just turned me off...

The Joe Biden moment was not really about Biden's grief or his heart but on how it made Stephen feel..not how it made his audience feel but in the end Stephen really is what matters..

I also think he's just not that interested in taking people down a notch..especially guys like Trump and others..because it might make him look bad....

It just made me miss David Letterman's "I really don't want to be here" shtick seem like genius...

I consider myself to be smart..and would have liked Colbert to succeed but the world is already filled with so many arrogant personalities on my TV, I just don't feel like enduring another..

There's a difference in late night shows..In the era of Carson and Letterman, it was "join us as we find laughter"...Now, it's "Watch me be funny"...

I didn't see "Face the Nation" from the beginning, but wondered if anyone else felt a kind of arrogance from Stephen in it.  So I agree with you, stonehaven, even the Biden interview didn't seem to actually touch him as a "real person" but more as fodder for a showman. He even said, "I realized this lovely man had just given me my show." He was "privileged to share that moment" yadda yadda, but I was surprised how much more genuine Biden, the politician, seemed than Colbert, the comedian.

He performed the material on TCR brilliantly, but maybe the convictions and passion were really coming from his writers? I know Stephen was one, too, but I just felt he seemed very disengaged and detached in the interview and often on the show. I know he was looking for funny bits--and I did laugh once or twice and also appreciated that the interviewer was quick-witted himself, SC didn't go over his head at all.   I could see that he's very guarded, but also even as himself, Stephen has sort of a smugness about him now that's not very appealing.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

Does this mean the show will now become smart and funny?  Guess not with the showrunner coming from the news division.  Oh well...

Edited by kib

My conspiracy theory: CBS will decide to switch timeslots with its late night hosts. James Corden's show will assume the 11:35PM time slot in order to create a suck off with Jimmy Fallon, and Stephen will take over the 12:37PM time slot, because they assume their audience is astronomically stupid.

Feel free to ruthlessly dissect this indiscriminately.

My conspiracy theory: CBS will decide to switch timeslots with its late night hosts. James Corden's show will assume the 11:35PM time slot in order to create a suck off with Jimmy Fallon, and Stephen will take over the 12:37PM time slot, because they assume their audience is astronomically stupid.

Feel free to ruthlessly dissect this indiscriminately.

Interesting theory.  Might get sticky because Seth Meyer is doing a pretty sharp show.  Nice cocktail of political humor and goofiness, plus he's pulling some decent numbers.  Storm clouds brewing.

• Love 2

It's kind of wild to read the comments posted on the stories about this change at the "Late Show" and see how many people are claiming that CBS should have hired someone who is not as "liberal" as Colbert. The more reasonable commenters seem to have the following critiques:

1. Colbert talks over his guests / is a poor or ill-prepared interviewer

2. A LOT of people don't like the band's music and/or Colbert's interactions with Jon Baptiste

3. The show is too political / the show is not political enough

Obviously you can't please everybody, but I certainly think there's room for improvement...

So now we know what the problem was. Stephen Colbert didn't have a showrunner, or he was the showrunner.

Of his three executive producers, two were (I believe) from The Colbert Report and one was Jon Stewart.

But there was no No. 1 boss person.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/15/business/media/hoping-chris-licht-will-do-for-the-late-show-what-the-super-bowl-didnt.html

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stephen-colbert-late-show-chris-licht-cbs-late-night-1201752509/

So now Colbert has a showrunner. Maybe he could figure his show out now?

When Kimmel started, he hired his production co-owner Daniel Kellison -- who, to be fair, was a former Letterman producer. But that idea didn't work.

It wasn't till three years in, or exactly 10 years ago, that he hired Jill Leiderman as Regis Philbin's recommendation, and she helped set the show on its current successful course.

Perhaps this new guy can do the same for Colbert.

On a related note, I saw this article about how Colbert has been a disappointment in the social media world.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/colbert-late-show-challenge-social-media-crickets-1.11691160

One of the most annoying things is The Late Show tweeterer, who live-tweets the East Coast broadcast and tries and fails to approximate Colbert's voice. I wish they'd quit the live-tweeting, but I'm not unfollowing. At least not yet.

On a related note, I saw this article about how Colbert has been a disappointment in the social media world.

http://www.newsday.c...kets-1.11691160

Interesting, thanks. It's certainly fair to gauge Stephen's success against his timeslot competitors, but I wonder how's in doing in comparison to Letterman? I don't think Dave had consistently widespread social media buzz, either. He himself said that was one reason why he was retiring -- that he didn't understand the whole "viral video" thing.

And only 570K Facebook likes? Ouch.

Edited by lordonia

I think this new hiring is mainly intended as an organizational aid, although I think the fact that Mr. Licht is from a news background may help steer the show towards the interesting intellectual (not necessarily political) subjects and guests that Stephen enjoys.  I personally doubt that it's sign that CBS wants to change the overall content of the show. 

I do think that trying to follow Facebook comments on the show's page can make your head spin.  I try to avoid that, unless I'm trying to get a sneak preview of that night's show.

Hmm, interesting.  I haven't noticed a significant difference yet.  The new opening bits are hit and miss with me, much like his other comedy bits.  Colbert's political comedy is still the best thing.

CBS press release:

“THE LATE SHOW with STEPHEN COLBERT” TO BROADCAST LIVE DURING BOTH POLITICAL CONVENTIONS IN JULY

THE LATE SHOW with STEPHEN COLBERT will broadcast two weeks of live shows during the political conventions in July. THE LATE SHOW will air live Monday, July 18, through Thursday, July 21 (11:35 PM, live ET/taped PT), during the Republican National Convention in Cleveland. Colbert will return with another run of live shows Monday, July 25, through Thursday, July 28 (11:35 PM, live ET/taped PT), during the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. Colbert will host each night live from the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York, where he and his guests will react to the day’s events in Cleveland and Philadelphia. Also, THE LATE SHOW will have an on-site presence at both conventions. Additional information will be made available as details are confirmed.

On 6/28/2016 at 0:52 PM, kib said:

From Deadline:Hollywood:Wanted: ‘Late Show’ Staff Writer And Lots Of Free Work To Become One

The Late Show is recruiting the general public for a staff writer's position. Seems like kind of a stunt way of going about it, and as the piece points out, not a particularly good way to endear yourself with the Writers Guild of America or it's members. It however would be nice if they got more folks on staff that can bring the funny.

The most rational comments on the story sound like Deadline is misrepresenting something pretty standard. For example:

They had the job posting on their website, where people were able to apply with their resumes/any other attachments they wanted to include, and from this they selected *some* writers to submit the packet.

The reason this has become a story is because Deadline are falsely making it out that they put out an open call for packets – they did not. The only reason someone who wasn’t asked is seeing these instructions is because Deadline leaked them.

Colbert snubbed, Corden nominated. Discuss.

I've spent most of the past 2 months without a TV, without my DVR regularly recording Colbert. And, I must admit, I don't clamor for his clips, even when media outlets say he said something interesting.

25 minutes ago, nowandlater said:

I've spent most of the past 2 months without a TV, without my DVR regularly recording Colbert. And, I must admit, I don't clamor for his clips, even when media outlets say he said something interesting.

I took it off my DVR season-pass list a few weeks ago and I don't miss it either (though I still keep an eye on this forum and was glad to see the "Hungry for Power Games" clip posted). I think the lack of an Emmy nom for someone who previously was a lock on getting nominated every single year is further proof that the show simply isn't working.

Yeah, I have to wonder how he feels about being overlooked, not just for James Corden (that has to sting), but Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Yikes.

Frankly, Samantha Bee was the one who deserved the nomination (and win) here, but I'd also include Seth Meyers, who's been great. But Colbert? Not so much.

And it does pain me to say that.

• Love 3
(edited)

Aww, poor Stephen!  Somehow he'll just have to make do with the 6 TCR Emmys and the ones from TDS while he was on that.

Edited by ABay
w.i.
  • Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, mariah23 said:

Jon will be on the show Monday.

My heart overflows with joy when they're together.

Regarding the snub, it's got to hurt a little, despite the fact that he has Emmys from TCR. Especially considering that he's the primetime guy and James Corden is the Late Late show. Honestly, when this show premiered I really liked the format even though there were some things that needed to be fixed. He had on a variety of guests, definitely not all celebrities. My favorite thing was when he had on talents that weren't just musical. I remember the episode with the tapper dancer and thinking that was the perfect show. It was so Stephen and what this show is meant to be. I think TPTB have made changes that make the Late Show extremely generic. Too many celebrities are on now, though I am one of the few that does like his interviewing style. The greatness of a single episode depends on the night's guests. I am much more impressed with the show and interested when he has on experts from a variety of fields. I also loooved TBKAD series from TCR. I wish he would do more skits like that on the Late Show.

But not to be too off topic, I understand the snub, because the current format doesn't work. I also don't think this format is what Stephen wants. I do think CBS or whoever is making changes and he's going with it. ETA: It's a joke that Jimmy Fallon would be nominated over him, though. He's on the Tonight Show and I get it, but his show is shit. All he tries to do is make viral videos. Can't stand it.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
Grammar
  • Love 1

What a blow to Colbert, when not only are his two direct competitors nominated, as well as his lead-out, but even a "show" (Comedians in Cars) that isn't even on TV.

Really the thought that the pure dumbness of Jimmy Fallon gets nominated?  Ugh.

On 7/14/2016 at 0:15 PM, ruby24 said:

Yeah, I have to wonder how he feels about being overlooked, not just for James Corden (that has to sting), but Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Yikes.

Frankly, Samantha Bee was the one who deserved the nomination (and win) here, but I'd also include Seth Meyers, who's been great. But Colbert? Not so much.

And it does pain me to say that.

Myers early shows were horrible, but I've seen a lot more of his recent content and he definitely wins "most improved".

Corden has viral success akin to Fallon's, which is why he got a nod. Both are shit interviewers though, even with Corden using the more interesting Graham Norton approach.

Sam Bee has been nothing short of brilliant, although it says a lot about the so-called format that (as with Oliver) a show generally without guests and interviews is considered the same as a show that's nothing BUT guest interviews (Comedians in Cars), as well as all of the hybrids in between.

• Love 3

I do feel that there is absolutely no way that Corden would have been nominated without his viral videos, which should not be any kind of a factor, and the fact that the Emmy voters would nominate him and Fallon with his endless silly games over Stephen only strengthens the belief I've had for a long time that most of them don't watch the shows they nominate.

• Love 1

Colbert has done 177 shows in 10 months

Jerry Seinfeld does 12 episodes of his show a year, and each episode runs less than 20 minutes (this week's episode, with Lorne Michaels, clocks in at 16 minutes).

It sucks that they're in the same category.

Corden was nominated for Carpool Karaoke, but I also just think Emmy voters feel like he's a breath of fresh air to the late-night scene (him having hosted the Tonys during the Emmy voting period probably helped, too).

I think, though, that the viral thing does have its limits. Corden has said he doesn't want to overexpose Carpool Karaoke, but it is definitely overexposed. People will get tired of it and move on to the next thing. Jimmy Fallon doesn't make that many headlines for his viral videos these days.

• Love 1
On 7/14/2016 at 5:05 PM, nowandlater said:

I think the Emmys go into a bit of a tizz when they lose their go to nominees. It's why Game of Thrones won actual awards for the "bad pussy" season. The nominations this year are a mix of experimental (Comedians in Cars, which is great despite the weird 'not on TV!' reaction) and lazy (hey, I saw this show on Buzzfeed), so I'll be more interested to see what it looks like going forward.

Thank you for posting that. I knew he was funny and I was enjoying his show, but I had no idea he could come across as that likeable and genuine in a print interview. Now I'm rooting for him even more than before.

• Love 1