Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show in the Media

• Start Topic

Stephen "hosted" (well, appeared for a few minutes at the beginning) the Kennedy Center Honors. One of the honorees was Tom Hanks, whose bio video was introduced and narrated by David Letterman. When David came out and just started to speak, you heard this great roar of laughter from the audience when Stephen came out and stood next to him on stage. David paused, looked over at Stephen, and just said, "Not yet!" and Stephen ducked out.

Very funny, and well staged!

• Love 3

I agree, remember the commercial with the giant Cheeze Puff or whatever it was?  After Stephen made fun of it on the air, I never saw that commercial again.

I still laugh thinking about Viacom's letter asking him not to start up the Super Pac, and his reading it on the air: "Please do not read this on the air"   Ha!

• Love 1
(edited)

It sure was good seeing Stephen again. And I can't tell you how much I love his tweet:

Scandal has forced the president of FIFA to resign. Next: the president of FOFUM!
Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

Thanks kib!  That's the man I know and love.  I loved the sunglasses on the beard.

Anytime. I was kinda partial to the half-Van Buren

Somewhat annoyingly, these various platforms can't quite agree yet on whether the official title is "Late Show with Stephen Colbert" or "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert."

You have to admit, they worked overtime on the logo.

The rollout is beginning. The show has a Twitter account and official site, and they've just posted a comedy video and a podcast. Somewhat annoyingly, these various platforms can't quite agree yet on whether the official title is "Late Show with Stephen Colbert" or "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert."

I love Stephen for opening the podcast with a snippet of "Glitter and be Gay". And I was charmed by the insistence in the podcast on referring to the show as "The Late Show With: Starring Stephen Colbert".

I love Stephen for opening the podcast with a snippet of "Glitter and be Gay". And I was charmed by the insistence in the podcast on referring to the show as "The Late Show With: Starring Stephen Colbert".

The logo starts with "The", so that would seem to be official.

ZGfhHJu.png

It's TINY though, you almost can't see it.

• Love 1

I was really curious to hear what the title would be, actually, since after Jimmy Fallon took over "Tonight," the name changed from "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" to "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon." I like to think Stephen's mention of "The Late Show With: Starring Stephen Colbert" was a dig at Jimmy Fallon, but that might just be 'cause I can't stand Fallon. Anyway, glad Stephen is sticking to the more humble "with."

• Love 1

Interesting that he thinks the character didn't work for the times anymore. Does that mean he thinks Fox is becoming less relevant? If he does, I wish I shared his optimism.

Edited by Ruby25

What I took away from the GQ interview was that Stephen was ready to walk away from TCR and his "Stephen" persona, even if he didn't get the Late Show hosting gig. Interesting.

I've been following Bill Carter, the Late Shift author, in interviews and on Twitter for a while now. And long before Letterman retired, he hinted that The Late Show was Colbert's to lose (he usually said it was opinion that Colbert was the best choice, but I think he talked to Les.) Anyways, Colbert set up his contracts to expire when Dave's expired. Yeah, he would've walked away, but I think he was pretty confident he would get the job.

Yeah, neither CBS or Colbert will ever acknowledge it publicly, but considering how quick the Colbert announcement was made after Dave's retirement announcement, I assume they had some sort of unofficial handshake deal in place for quite a while.

I really hope we get to see Stephen Colbert rake Jeb Bush over the coals for this bit of news.

As the CBS spokesperson said, they were not party to this but holy smokes, somebody needs to get canned or ripped a new one for letting this happen. Letterman was pretty adamant about not setting aside tickets for VIP's, sponsors or anyone else other than a very few available for charitable organizations that would use them as items for fundraising auctions and even those were heavily vetted. 

Edited by kib
  • Love 1

Kendrick Lamar on his second show is listed as "interview with and performance by:"

Scarlett Johansson will get 1 segment, but probably 2. Then Elon Musk with 1 segment. Then a Kendrick Lamar musical segment, then an interview?

Wow. He was harder on Jeb! than he was on the guests of The Colbert Report. That was some serious FU, and much harder hitting than the "I'm an idiot" stuff his "Stephen character" used to dish out. I have been having very low expectations for The Late Show, and dreading seeing the cutting commentary abandoned for more Doritos and beer product placement, inane musical guests, and cute little skits about xmas or whatever toothless shite CBS would approve. But I will give it a shot, and it's this kind of don't F with me reaction gives me hope that it wont' be a total waste of time.

NBC has a cheerleader in Fallon, ABC has a cynical dude in Kimmel. If CBS suddenly has a host with teeth, I'll be amazed but also quite delighted.

• Love 2

That was a thing of beauty.  Unfortunately it was also well above the comprehension level of the campaign to understand what a truly well crafted evisceration it was. Godspeed Citizen Colbert.

• Love 4

Rachel Maddow started *and* ended her Wednesday show with Colbert's response to the Jeb Bush lottery.  And Jeb came on at the end to lower the entry fee to one dollar.  Seriously? 

Of course, bringing attention to the start of the Colbert Late Night is a great side benefit.  Main benefit. 

• Love 2