Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

Empire's ratings haven't impacted black-ish in the least, black-ish was trending downward before the two shows even faced each other. In fact black-ish has actually seen its ratings increase at least once against Empire. The people asking for it to be moved are ignorant people who believe all black people watch the same shows.

MF hasn't really been impacted by Empire either. It's a 5 and a half year old show that's still doing boffo ratings.

I find it really interesting that he thinks the audience for Modern Family and Empire overlap (Does it? I don't watch MF and wouldn't watch it regardless of Empire). I think that's a compliment and bodes well for the continued success of Empire. That's moving toward Cosby-level respect.

Can Empire’s High Ratings Cure Lucious’s ALS?

Entertainment Weekly’s Empire cover story is currently on newsstands, and it largely studies the popular show’s heavyweights, Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson, and the "deep love” they share for one another in real life. But the most telling moment comes toward the end of the feature, when Empire co-creator Danny Strong dodges the question of whether Lucious Lyon’s ALS prognosis is actually fatal:

While it may seem like the show’s writers have painted themselves into a corner by giving their lead character, Lucious, a terminal illness … well, just wait. “My response [to that] is always watch and find out,” says Strong.
We're on to you, Strong!

link

• Love 1

I find it really interesting that he thinks the audience for Modern Family and Empire overlap (Does it? I don't watch MF and wouldn't watch it regardless of Empire). I think that's a compliment and bodes well for the continued success of Empire.

I still watch Modern Family, but I DVR it. Empire is must-see TV (aka appointment television).

• Love 2

I watch Empire and Modern Family as well. 

I thought it was quite clear that the award winners were joking. The "Thanks for giving us this award before Empire premiered" part was acknowledging Empire's own portrayal of gay characters and the strong likelihood that Empire would win a similar award next year. The “Now please move Empire!” is a nice reminder of the first joke. It's a nice bookend. You always go one step farther than the first joke. 

• Love 3

Mo'Nique discusses being 'blackballed'. Mentions role on Empire that was written for her that was then taken away.

http://jezebel.com/monique-explains-how-shes-being-blackballed-in-hollywoo-16867368

I wonder what role was for Mo'Nique? Becky? Maybe Cookie's sister?

She was on Access Hollywood today and claims that Lee Daniels offered her the role of Cookie.

Cookie??? Cookie Lyons???

Girl, please.

Even if that is true, which I simply can't believe, but if it is true, she needs to stop telling people that. After what Taraji has done with Cookie, this revelation is only going to have people laughing at Mo'Nique and the thought of her even being Cookie's kinfolk, much less Cookie F. Lyons!!!

Let me stop.

• Love 10
(edited)

She was on Access Hollywood today and claims that Lee Daniels offered her the role of Cookie.

Cookie??? Cookie Lyons???

Girl, please.

Even if that is true, which I simply can't believe, but if it is true, she needs to stop telling people that. After what Taraji has done with Cookie, this revelation is only going to have people laughing at Mo'Nique and the thought of her even being Cookie's kinfolk, much less Cookie F. Lyons!!!

Let me stop.

ITA, that she needs to stop telling people this. I was discussing this with my friends and family. Mo may have played Cookie but that doesn't guarantee she or this show would have had the same success.

TPH is a force of nature. She is proving that she is the queen. Her chemistry with TH is palpable. Change that and you change the dynamic of the show.

ETA : not that I don't like Mo. I just see her as Cookie Lyons. The same way I can't see Wesley Snipes as Lucious. TH has a way of playingslimy and dirty which I think Lucious needs. Plus as mentioned above, the chemistry with TPH.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 7
(edited)

She seems to have issues with Lee Daniel's and is dragging Empire into it, She needs to stop talking, she's not helping herself look better. 

She's no Cookie and I can't believe anyone over at Fox would have thought so. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 4
(edited)

That sounds so silly.  I mean maybe it's time for Modern Family to end, it's only been on for what, 5757858 seasons?

As for Mo'Nique, IMO she got lucky with Precious and if she played Cookie, the show would have been cancelled after the first episode.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

I could see Mo'Nique as Cookie, she wouldn't have the "glamour" we've been conditioned to expect but she could certainly play the hell out of that role. I would have also almost preferred Wesley Snipes as Lucious, mostly because Terrence is not a very good actor (his palpable chemistry with Taraji saves him).

Malik Yoba outs his ‘Empire’ co-star Jussie Smollet: ‘He is gay’

In a new interview with Blackfilm.com, Malik Yoba, who stars on Empire as the Chairman of the Board, Vernon Turner, set the record straight on Smollett’s sexuality.

“I know Jussie, he is gay, and he’s very committed to issues around the LGBT community,” Yobe revealed. “He and I have a very close relationship.”

I don't care and I can't imagine anyone who watches the show and understands the storyline will care but I only worry that this could hurt his career because the industry likes to place you in a box and the "gay and black" box can be stifling and humiliating and he's far too talented for that.

I guess it was never confirmed, but Jussie being gay was known prior to this. There were tabloid reports years and years ago about him with Raven. How her gay bff who helped her have a baby girl. Which is why the story arc was amusing and too close to home to be a coincidence. 

I don't think Jussie's ever said it himself in an interview, it was just said about him. Even when he was just known as Jurnee's brother. Malik never should have spoke for Jussie and outed him in the media before Jussie said it first.

• Love 6

I've seen plenty of showrunners joke or complain about time slot competition.

Yeah this happens all the time, I do like that Levitan acknowledged Empires crossover appeal. 

Re: Jussie, yeah I thought he was out already, and that the Raven Simone baby daddy story was lifted from the Bossip blog.

At the risk of jinxing it, I think it can keep going for these last two episodes.  I know guest casting can be a mixed thing, I do think Jennifer Hudson as a pretty big fanbase, so between her and people curious to see what will happen with Andre, I can see that helping next week.  And, I have to think the finale is going to be a big event.  The hype for it will have to be huge, or someone's not doing their job.  I'm really curious to see how these last two episodes do.

Either way, this is just insane.

• Love 5
(edited)

I cannot stop being impressed by Empire's consistent ratings increases. Amazing! 

Amazing indeed. And I'm one of those that hope TPH & TH hold out for only about 12 or 13 episodes. I would hate to see a sophomore slump by them dragging things out to fill an episode count. I feel so protective of this show for some reason and I just want them to continue to do well. All the actors deserve it as well as the entire crew. They have truly created something magical and special and the optimist in me wants them to continue to exceed expectations.

Edited to add: I may be projecting my Sleepy Hollow disappointment just a wee bit lol. But that show had such promise and lightening in a bottle with their LEAD couple (y'all know Ichabbie is OTP) and I don't want this show to suffer similarly.

Edited by Badsamaritan
  • Love 9
I could see Mo'Nique as Cookie, she wouldn't have the "glamour" we've been conditioned to expect but she could certainly play the hell out of that role. I would have also almost preferred Wesley Snipes as Lucious, mostly because Terrence is not a very good actor (his palpable chemistry with Taraji saves him).

Funny, I was talking to my brother this morning and we both would have preferred Mo'nique as Cookie.  TPH has just tired me out with her scenery-chewing, and that's the main reason why I stopped watching the show after last week.  I just couldn't take her anymore.  I hadn't thought of Wesley Snipes as being Lucious but I think I would have preferred him as well because he's a better actor, and I've never liked Terrence Howard.  

I'm happy the ratings continue to increase for all involved.

I'm open to a 15-16 episode season. They could do like Nashville and have an episode were they perform all the songs from the season at the Apollo. I think 18 or 22 would be way two much.

Don't screw this up Fox. Looks at sleepy Hollow

• Love 5

No more than 16 episodes in a season... NO MORE!

I could not deal with a Sleepy Hollow-esque failure with Empire... it would destroy me at this point, lol.

And d@mn. Empire crushed every show on Wednesday night. I mean just destroyed them.

Sleepy Hollow's writers and people in charge of it ruined their show, I don't think it would compare unless the Empire writers/Lee Daniels all lost their minds like at Sleepy Hollow who decided to change the whole show into something different.

• Love 6

When I went to the premier of Empire at a theater in SF, my only concern was that it was on Fox. I totally didn't expect this ratings bonanza. I think making the show available for people to catch up is genius.  Hell I almost didn't watch Fresh off the Boat because I missed the first one and that's a comedy.  Jane the Virgin is also one I'm interested in but if I can't see it from the beginning I'm not watching. 

I think making the show available for people to catch up is genius.  Hell I almost didn't watch Fresh off the Boat because I missed the first one and that's a comedy.  Jane the Virgin is also one I'm interested in but if I can't see it from the beginning I'm not watching.

Just like Empire, the other two shows are available for viewing on network sites. 

Empire has its first big musical hit as Jussie Smollett and Estelle's 'Conqueror' hits No. 4 on iTunes

Empire’s reign knows no bounds. The Fox smash (and recent EW cover subject) has consistently broken ratings records, and now the show’s music is taking over the iTunes charts, with the song “Conqueror” nabbing the No. 4 slot and “You’re So Beautiful” holding down No. 11.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/05/empire-has-first-big-musical-hit-jussie-smollett-and-estelles-conqueror-hits-no-4

• Love 3

Sleepy Hollow's writers and people in charge of it ruined their show, I don't think it would compare unless the Empire writers/Lee Daniels all lost their minds like at Sleepy Hollow who decided to change the whole show into something different.

I agree - but I still don't want more than 16 episodes in the season - don't want boring filler.

I guess he felt he had to address it now after Malik's comments. Which he tried to back tracked on and claimed he was not talking about Jussie, but Jamal.

In a statement sent to USA TODAY via his publicist, Yoba denied that he outed Smollett and said that his comments were about Jamal, not Jussie.

"I was misquoted in the article. My reference to Jussie was only about his character and storyline on Empire."

The thing is that Terrence has also mentioned Jussie was gay in at least two interviews. I think when they did the Upfronts Terrence mentioned Jussie being gay while Jussie was on stage with him. When I saw and read those interviews, I was surprised press didn't pick up on it. But like Jussie said he was never IN the closet, clearly everyone who was around him knew he was gay, he wasn't hiding it. But I guess he figured he needed to face the speculation head on.

• Love 1

I love Liam Hemsworth (that is who that was, right?), but that skit was awful. And Empire is not a "black" show, as the ratings prove. That skit really rubbed me the wrong way, lol.

It was such a half-assed attempt at a parody.  Obviously no one in the writing room has watched an episode of Empire beyond commercials.

• Love 2

I love Liam Hemsworth (that is who that was, right?), but that skit was awful. And Empire is not a "black" show, as the ratings prove. That skit really rubbed me the wrong way, lol.

So, basically that sketch is what "mainstream" America would like to reduce Empire to, and was hoping it would be no more than, in order to justify not watching that black show and how they can't explain its success?

Okay.

That skit somehow managed to be insulting to black AND white people at the same time. Impressive.

Considering Empire's enormous ratings, it's pretty clear all kinds of people are watching it. For them to say it's a "black" show just because the cast is mostly African American just makes them look like idiots.

• Love 3

The only thing that was funny was Leslie's Porscha, she nailed it, Che's Hakeem wasn't bad either, but the only good thing about the skit is that it was possible to do with the cast now.

That's on the level of most of their parody skits these days, sadly - quote real dialogue and then overplay something. It was stupid. Twenty years ago In Living Color would've done something hilarious, though. I can see David Alan Grier skewering Lucious.

• Love 5

The only thing that was funny was Leslie's Porscha, she nailed it, Che's Hakeem wasn't bad either, but the only good thing about the skit is that it was possible to do with the cast now.

Her Porcia was the only redeeming part of the terrible skit.

Empire's Jussie Smollett Comes Out as Gay: I've Never Been In the Closet  http://www.eonline.com/news/633416/empire-s-jussie-smollett-comes-out-as-gay-i-ve-never-been-in-the-closet

Edited by CofCinci

Fox Plots 'Empire' Season 2: Lee Daniels Courts Oprah, Pushes for Less "Opulence"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-plots-empire-season-2-780553

With more famous names expected for season two, there figures to be more offscreen headaches as well. According to multiple insiders, Macy Gray's season one arc was scrapped after she exhibited erratic behavior on the show's Chicago set.)

I wonder who Macy Gray was supposed to play.

I love the graphic they used.

Edited by aprilbabe
  • Love 2