Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

Watch out Walking Dead zombies, Cookie Monster and her nails are about to tear you apart in the 18-49 demo.

Cookie's done hard time. She's probably as prepared for the zombie apocalypse as she is for everything else. Those stilettos could do damage.

• Love 2

5.2...impressive to say the least.

So the question remains, what is the ceiling for EMPIRE's ratings....

Moved from Ratings thread:

I don't know but I hope that the quality stays on point. I do not want another Glee situation with this show.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 4

So happy they got a cover story.

I keep hoping my next digital issue of TV Guide has them on the cover as well. With all the expectations the show is shattering, I think they more than deserve it.

Forgot to add...I haven't bought a print magazine in ages but I will most definitely be getting the EW one. I want to see the pics full size instead of on my phone. :-)

Edited by Badsamaritan

Entertainment Weekly should be embarrassed that they consistently spelled Taraji's name "Tiraji P. Henson" throughout the slide show and in headings. That's just lame.

Tiraji P. Henson and crew

Tiraji P. Henson and Terrence Howard

(Left to right) Tiraji P. Henson...

Edited by tmelange
  • Love 1

Trai Byers discusses playing Andre and his work in Selma and says, of tonight's episode:

If you think the shower scene was something, you have seen nothing yet. It gets dark. This week, you’re going to see something that I don’t know if we’ve seen on television, at the hands of Andre. It really goes there.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/02/empire-trai-byers-andre.html

And I didn't know he was a Yale actor-FYI that school also gave us Meryl Streep, Frances McDormand, Sigourney Weaver and Lupita Nyongo among others.

Edited by yourstruly
  • Love 3

Entertainment Weekly should be embarrassed that they consistently spelled Taraji's name "Tiraji P. Henson" throughout the slide show and in headings. That's just lame.

Looks like it got fixed.

• Love 1

I'm so glad they fixed this. I posted about it on their facebook page 3x, and some fan replied that it was no big deal, that her fans know her name, and that I should get over it. Probably, but I think it's disrespectful that the media fact checkers can't bother to look up the correct spelling of her name. It's the same thing as that men's magazine two weeks ago that put her on the cover and misspelled her name. I know I'd be hurt and mad if the things that evidenced my professional accomplishments didn't bother to get my name right. Anyway, end soap box. I'm happy they fixed it before I had to rise up further. LOL Everyone deserves a base level of respect, especially my girl.

• Love 5

Preliminary numbers...the show went up yet again (the demo will be out later):

The juggernaut on Fox called “Empire” scored its seventh consecutive week of overnight household growth, topping the night at a 9.2 rating/14 share from 9-10 p.m. Comparably, this was 28 percent above the second half of “American Idol” on the year-ago evening (7.2/11 on 2/26/14), and it built from the 8:30 p.m. portion of lead-in “Idol” (7.4/11) by 24 percent. Had Fox had a crystal ball, it would have ordered more than 12 episodes of “Empire” initially. Eight-week overnight track for “Empire”: 6.8/10 – 7.3/11 – 7.6/12 – 7.9/12 – 8.0/12 – 8.2/13 – 8.8/13 – 9.2/14. Worth repeating: unprecedented!
  • Love 6

I'm a little obsessed...sue me.

The biggest new hit of the season has grown its viewership for an incredible seventh week in a row.

Empire—which is also EW’s current cover story—continued its seemingly impossible climb Wednesday night, hitting 13.8 million viewers and a 5.3 rating among adults 18-49. Not only does that mark seven weeks of audience growth, but that demo rating is the highest for a regularly scheduled telecast of a broadcast network drama series in five years—since an epiosde of Grey’s Anatomy in 2010. F

Empire up again: Top rated broadcast drama telecast in five years

• Love 3

Fox considering an Empire concert series

EW has learned that Fox is considering staging Empire concerts, the same way it did a Glee tour for two summers. “We are thinking about what the future is of the brand,” explains Dana Walden, co-chair and co-CEO of Fox Television Group. “What we learned on Glee and what we tried to do on Glee is be very cognizant that the music business is the tail of this dog—the show is the thing. But we are certainly looking down the line. There’s no reason not to think of having all sorts of ancillary opportunities with this show. We’re certainly thinking about idea of doing a live concert series.”

So far, the Entertainment Weekly comments are pretty negative.

Terrence Howard on Taraji P. Henson: 'She Didn't Want to Sleep with Me'

Cookie and Lucious have arrived.

Our favorite Wednesday night duo landed this week's cover of Entertainment Weekly, and inside the pages, both Taraji P. Henson and Terrence Howard dish on how their long history led up to the empire that is "Empire."

Henson said that after reading the script for the show, she knew Howard was the only viable option for Lucious' character.

"I just knew it had to be him," she said. "When I read the script, I was like, 'This is that deep love that you can't explain, that you just see, and Terrence and I have that for each other."

Howard didn't disagree. He recalled his chemistry—or lack thereof—with Henson while filming 2006's Hustle & Flow.

"We're like father and daughter, mother and son, brother and sister," he said. "We've never been lovers. When I was doing Hustle & Flow, I was like,  'I know I'm playing this character right if all my female co-leads want to sleep with me.' Taraji was the only one that didn't want to."

The Odds of Denzel Washington Joining Season 2 of Empire Just Got a Lot More Likely

Fox’s hip-hop soap opera is an enormous hit, no matter how you look at it. It’s popular, it’s critically acclaimed, and its profile just continues to rise. With an unprecedented ratings climb in its seventh week on-air, Empire has become a seemingly unstoppable force. But what does that measure of astronomical success mean for Season 2? It could very well mean a huge star is coming to Fox.

It’s about his schedule. I’ve got to lure him in with my fishhook, but he is really a great support of the show and Lenny Kravitz is going to be on the show, hopefully. We’re going to make sure we try and create a storyline for him.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/02/empire-ratings-denzel-washington

• Love 2

http://ca.eonline.com/news/629959/empire-sneak-peek-watch-the-final-no-holds-barred-scene-that-will-have-everyone-talking

Empire's family is coming together.

You mess with the Lyon, you'll get the cubs. Just ask Baretti (guest star Judd Nelson), Lucious' (Terrence Howard) rival label executive after he makes a play for Empire Records...using Anika (Grace Gealey) as his secret weapon!

"Watching how my family comes together to defend what's ours, everyone stands and backs me up, that's an amazing moment," Terrence Howard previews in our exclusive sneak peek at the Fox hit's March 4 outing.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2

Warning about the EW cover story, the first 2 paragraphs give a lot of spoilers. They were taping the season finale when EW was on set. 

Someone is killed with a candle stick and someone ends up with a trip to rehab. There's also a big cat fight scene with Cookie and Anika on top of a pool table.

All that's given away in the first 2 paragraphs.

The interview mentions season 2 has 13 episode order + back 9. So with ratings the way they are I think we'll get more than 13 for sure.

• Love 1

Warning about the EW cover story, the first 2 paragraphs give a lot of spoilers. They were taping the season finale when EW was on set. 

Someone is killed with a candle stick and someone ends up with a trip to rehab. There's also a big cat fight scene with Cookie and Anika on top of a pool table.

All that's given away in the first 2 paragraphs.

Interesting I had actually read a week or so ago that WARNING SPOILER 

that Cookie kills Anika and Lucious helps cover it up, and on youtube the local Chicago station there is a video of them filming the Season finale and Lucious is getting arrrested with Cookie and Jamal looking worried following behind him

Maybe we need a spoiler thread.

Sometimes less is better in regards to episode count because with 20 some eps many of them end up being filler. Also I know Taraji liked the fact that it had asmaller episode count so she could do more things. Have a 20+ episode season pretty much ties you up for the whole year.

Edited by aprilbabe
  • Love 2

Why Terrence Howard thinks they should use the 'N' word on Empire

“If we start getting silly, if we start playing to people’s fancies, then we don’t deserve to be where we are,” says Howard of the show’s success. “It’s a big pressure because I want to be a truth-sayer. I want to raise the bar. I want to get rid of this f—ed up word called PC. I think it’s a gate for bigotry because as long as you’re politically correct you can say anything you want but feel some way different.”

To that end, Howard would like to see the show go even further. “I’m mad that we don’t say n—- in the show,” he admits. “Why is TV showing something different from the reality of the world? Why is there a thing called censorship that stop people from hearing everyday talk? We use n—-every day. It’s become part of a conversation—why aren’t we using it in the show?”

I get what he's saying. In the context of the show and these characters who are from the hood and are in a hip hop world, realistically the n-word would most likely flow freely from their mouths. And if this wasn't network television it most likely would. But this isn't HBO or Showtime, it's fox and they are only gonna push things so far.

They had better stop Terrence Howard from talking freely to the media. He's crazy, and he says some crazy stuff. He needs to only be allowed to do interviews in writing, where someone can check his responses before they're released. Seriously, he's the one who is most likely going to cause some kind of commotion for this show. Terrence should be happy that he's still allowed to work and his domestic violence history hasn't blown up in his face and just be quiet. Let Taraji speak for the show, please.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't think i've ever heard a show creater bring up another show like that even jokingly.

I'm a paranoid person by nature so I'm already getting nervous about the attention Empire is getting. I don't want it to turn into a guest-star of the week because actors want to be on the show. If whatever actor fits an intended role needed for the plot fine. But adding actors/characters for the sake of just getting a name on? No.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1

I have so many thoughts after reading this. Why does he think it's okay to say or request this of Fox execs publicly? Would Fox even consider something like this?

I do think it's strange that the media and Fox Execs didn't think Empire could truly compete or hold ratings against Modern Family. Now, Modern Family's showrunner is concerned and and making this weird request. I've always thought of Modern Family as an ABC show. ABC gets all the recognition with the awards. It seems mighty convenient that the showrunner of Modern Family is bringin of the connection to 20th Century Fox production all of a sudden.

I'm not sure I've seen a showrunner joke like this publicly either. I've feared that Fox would do something stupid, like move the show to Thursdays for a while.

(edited)

He's clearly joking. Fox isn't going to move the show.

I've seen plenty of showrunners joke or complain about time slot competition. Arrested Development had the creator of Desperate Housewives ON their show as DH was crushing AD in the ratings. There's nothing to read into here.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 3

I know people have been openly asking ABC to move Black-ish, but those are fans.

I think he's kidding, but he also knows anything in Empire's path will be decimated - for now.