Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

http://m.tmz.com/#!article/2019/04/20/jussie-smollett-brother-attack-truth-night-terrors/comments/

LOL!  Jussie Smollett is really doing the most.  

Despite the fact that his story makes zero sense, I would almost be gulliable enough to rethink my position. 

But the fact that he insisted the file be closed let's me know that jussie smollett knows that the file makes him look like the liar he is.

Also, if he is telling the truth than he should be able to explain the discrepancies in his story, and should have done a follow up interview to clear the air so we all know how there is a simple explanation for everything.

...if Robin Roberts isn't available, I'm sure Oprah would do it, or Gayle king, or Diane Sawyer, or Leslie stahl,....heck you could probably get Barbra Walters out of retirement to do the jussie smollett interview.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

So the writers threw together a wedding and I suppose honeymoon exit out of nowhere? There's no way this was planned, because it's way too convenient. It also seems final if they want it to be, happy ending off to somewhere else and keep new brother around.

The wedding was definitely planned.

Jussie & several of the writers have been hinting at it since the beginning of the season.

Jamal's early exit, OTOTH, was a last minute addition.

Ya know I don't understand what his issue was as far as wanting more screen time or whatever. The shows been 70% Jamal and his crap since it came back. I'm just done over here I think. The show finally got back to being what it was in the first season and Smollet's bullshit ruined it for me to the point where I can't watch it without being aggravated. 

• Love 6

It's hilarious to see wishes for Empire to be canceled when any number of other long running hit shows (some which even aired previously on FOX) have weathered FAR worse scandals BTS while continuing to remain on the air.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Dee said:

It's hilarious to see wishes for Empire to be canceled when any number of other long running hit shows (some which even aired previously on FOX) have weathered FAR worse scandals BTS while continuing to remain on the air.

I'm curious, what far worse scandals are you referencing?

I can't think of anything recent besides house of cards and Kevin Spacey was taken off that show with a quickness and it only went one additional season.

This is why I'm curious about the scandals you're referring to that are worse than this.

• Love 3

Here's an interview about why certain decisions were made regarding the show this season and what to expect for season 6.

Definitely spoiler heavy for anyone who did not see the finale yet.

‘Empire’ Boss on Writing Jussie Smollett Out and Why Season 6 Will Be a ‘Reset’

Yeah, I don't buy a lot of his reasoning or claims in this. Definitely Jussie's drama threw them for a huge loop and they just didn't have time to recover. They had to scramble big time and it still didn't come together, to me, in a believable way. 

Anyone else being killed off at the end, after everything with Jussie went down, to me was a cheap scapegoat choice,  all because they didn't want to do away with Jamal/Jussie for good, and to me that's dumb.

There's no reason his ass shouldn't have been in the casket, but they hadn't made the funeral a big enough deal involving any of the others and of course if Jamal died the Pope himself would have conducted the service...I could never stand him really, first the character but now I feel the same about the actor. 

And they're already floating the "reset" idea yet again as a kind of fixall. Not interested. 

• Love 2
On 4/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, mtlchick said:

The show is renewed.  As for Jussie, his contract was extended BUT as of right now isn't part of the short term future. 

https://tvline.com/2019/04/30/empire-renewed-season-6-fox-jussie-smollett/

Don’t remember what site I read it on but the basic gist was if the final 2 episodes (17 & 18) saw a ratings rise then Jussie’s role was essentially finished as that would telegraph to Disney/FOX that viewers returned in some form after Jamal’s story arc was finished.  If however the ratings dipped after being written off then they would bring him back albeit for a possible shortened season. Both episodes saw the ratings rise both in numbers watching and share. Since they got the full order of 18 episodes one could conclude that Jussie’s career with Empire is finished. My sense is if they feel the need to have the Jamal character figure in some significant way they simply will recast the role. 

I didn't think that the ratings would suffer yet because a lot of the fans have been curious about which way they would go to end this season. Would Jamal bite it, would Andre, or was it Kingsley?

Or would they really surprise us with a clever twist? Like Andre's imaginary Fed girlfriend a couple of seasons ago 

Frankly I would have liked it if they showed that Lucious had not actually regained consciousness after his car wreck in the last episode. 

So the entire Andre suicide attempt, the hospital scenes, and Kingsley killing himself was all apart of Lucious' dream world. 

Then when he snapped back to reality he could have returned to absolute chaos regarding Jamal and/or Kai who either one could have been Andre'a heart donor due to a sudden death by accident.

Kai was a fairly easy kill and then that would make for a great excuse to cause Jamal to bail out on the family, unable to handle losing his husband even if he saved his brother.

But obviously the show ended far differently, and the feedback, much that I've seen, has been a very mixed bag and a lot of people weren't impressed by a lot of the choices they made. 

I can ony speak for myself, but after reading that interview about what they're planning next, I think my DirectV show record list just got lighter. 

As much as I love the actors involved in this series, its time. 6 years is a great run. I like Fox's method of cancelling before the new season starts (they did the same with Gotham) to give the showrunners a chance to wrap things up in a satisfying way.

• Love 5
(edited)
12 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

As much as I love the actors involved in this series, its time. 6 years is a great run. I like Fox's method of cancelling before the new season starts (they did the same with Gotham) to give the showrunners a chance to wrap things up in a satisfying way.

I think it's part of the new normal in the era of "peak TV."  Broadcast ratings are eroding and Empire is a big example of that. I think the slight surprise of this news is that it was first show used to promote the "New Fox" era so people figured it was safe for a while. 

Admittedly though, this season was a chore to watch, and that's even before the Jussie fallout. There were simply too many story lines to keep up with and I was over the "The Lyons lost control of Empire to someone and will play hard to get it back" that happens EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.  For me the saving grace was the Gisele/Becky pairing.  If the show ended with them having full control Empire, I would be more than happy with that.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, mtlchick said:

‘I was waiting for this. Lee and the others really miscalculated this season, imho. He had gold to work with but now with the Jamal/Jussie fallout and all the plot holes he created with his unplanned finale, I think Empire is going to limp to the finish line. It’s a shame.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, AnswersWanted said:

‘I was waiting for this. Lee and the others really miscalculated this season, imho. He had gold to work with but now with the Jamal/Jussie fallout and all the plot holes he created with his unplanned finale, I think Empire is going to limp to the finish line. It’s a shame.

I wonder how Jussie will move forward knowing that people will blame his scandal on the show's demise.  The show lost it's way long before that, it became hard to watch but people will connect him to it's cancellation.  At the end of the day, was his dumb act worth all of this.  It is not the just the actors losing their jobs, it is all of the people behind the scenes that come together to give us a show.   I have no doubt that Terrence, Taraji, Gabby and Trai will work again. I don't think the same can be said for Jussie.. What I loved about the show was seeing so many Black actors working on the show.  

• Love 1

Most shows don't make it to a second season.

The fact that a groundbreaking show like Empire made it six seasons, especially in the current media climate, is nothing short of amazing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

I wonder how Jussie will move forward knowing that people will blame his scandal on the show's demise.  The show lost it's way long before that, it became hard to watch but people will connect him to it's cancellation.  At the end of the day, was his dumb act worth all of this.  It is not the just the actors losing their jobs, it is all of the people behind the scenes that come together to give us a show.   I have no doubt that Terrence, Taraji, Gabby and Trai will work again. I don't think the same can be said for Jussie.. What I loved about the show was seeing so many Black actors working on the show.  

I really would be surprised if he has any options left in Hollywood at this point. I definitely think what he did hurt the show, but as you mentioned it's been a sinking ship for a while now (I blame Demi!). 

The representation on Empire was one of the main reasons I fell for it.

As a queer woman of color it was so refreshing to see so many issues in the black community dealt with on the show. Yes, it was campy and ridiculous sometimes, but also there were so many moments filled with heart that touched me.

I hate that such a show is ending as it is, especially for the reasons it is, but maybe they will now be forced to clean up their act and tap into the greatness this show once was for one last hoorah. 

And maybe they can resurrect Kingsley, heh, just make the whole finale a dream. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

The representation on Empire was one of the main reasons I fell for it. 

Yes, that's part of the reason I'm sad that the show is ending. It was awesome when it was basically the black Dallas (with music instead of oil of course). Lee needs to let Terrance bring back that J.R.Ewing-esque Lucious for season 6. 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/13/2019 at 10:14 AM, Apprentice79 said:

While I agree that six years is a great run and empire probably wasn't going to get a ton more seasons either way...I don't think people should only blame JS....I think a bit of that blame and indignation should be laid at the feet of taraji and Terrence who both made a big public show of saying that JS had been exonerated and that he should be put back on the show and that he was telling the truth.

I get that maybe you don't want to kick a friend or coworker when they are down but I don't think their loud and public actions helped at all.  

Edited by RealReality

I'm a little surprised at the cancellation. It is still one of Fox's top shows, I figure any network would want to get as many seasons out a hit show as they can.

• Love 1
On 3/23/2019 at 1:14 AM, RealReality10 said:

I don't think it's a zero sum game.  Watercooler shows can survive scandal as big as this because they are jauggernauts.  

But when you're not a jauggernaut and ratings are slipping AND you have a huge scandal AND there are tons and tons of competing content, it's just going to be so much harder.

I can't think of a recent show in the same position that faced such a situation.  The only recent one that might be kinda comprable is the Roseanne reboot, but that show was like brand new, so even as a reboot I don't think the situations are comprable.

Does the show have a lot of life left?  I don't know, it seems like a pretty tenuous position.  Maybe the kerfuffle dies down and they are able to interject a new character or bring in a new actor (?).  And that might even work if jussie smollett were to go quietly into that good night, but all signs point to him wanting to drag everything out.  

I feel fairly certain that if Sterling k. Brown were involved in similar shenanigans it would be a problem.  

Is 2.5 men still on?  I don't like the show, but it seems like after Charlie Sheen left amidst a scandal, the show took a dive and then they tried to bring in another actor and it didnt work.  And to me, that isnt how anyone would want a powerhouse series to end, basically pushed off the air because it overstayed it's welcome.  

I'm not saying to end it tomorrow, but start thinking up a graceful exit so Lee Daniels can end the show on his own terms.  

I normally wouldn't do this, but I'm surprised that I predicted it....maybe I should buy lotto tickets!

(edited)
9 hours ago, RealReality said:

While I agree that six years is a great run and empire probably wasn't going to get a ton more seasons either way...I don't think people should only blame JS....I think a bit of that blame and indignation should be laid at the feet of taraji and Terrence who both made a big public show of saying that JS had been exonerated and that he should be put back on the show and that he was telling the truth.

I get that maybe you don't want to kick a friend or coworker when they are down but I don't think their loud and public actions helped at all.  

I think that Terrence and Taraji love Jussie so much that in their minds they cannot reconcile the young man that they have come to know and love over the years could be capable of such a vile act. People have dark sides to their personalities and people will let you see what they want you to see.  Love is blind and I would never hold their love for Jussie against them.

Imagine if you were in their place and somebody that you love was accused of doing something so out of character.  Your immediate response would be to defend them because the possibility of being wrong about a loved one is just too horrifying.  Not to mention, it would cause you to question your own judgment.  It would not surprise me if Terrence and Taraji conflate the charges against Jussie being dropped to mean that he is innocent.  That is far from the truth.

Terrence and Taraji will be fine, after all is said and done. They have been in this game for a long time and this too shall pass. They were not accused of committing a crime, Jussie was. Everything in life comes to an end, Empire is ending but it opens up a lot of new possibilities for the actors.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I think that Terrence and Taraji love Jussie so much that in their minds they cannot reconcile the young man that they have come to know and love over the years could be capable of such a vile act. People have dark sides to their personalities and people will let you see what they want you to see.  Love is blind and I would never hold their love for Jussie against them.

Imagine if you were in their place and somebody that you love was accused of doing something so out of character.  Your immediate response would be to defend them because the possibility of being wrong about a loved one is just too horrifying.  Not to mention, it would cause you to question your own judgment.  It would not surprise me if Terrence and Taraji conflate the charges against Jussie being dropped to mean that he is innocent.  That is far from the truth.

Terrence and Taraji will be fine, after all is said and done. They have been in this game for a long time and this too shall pass. They were not accused of committing a crime, Jussie was. Everything in life comes to an end, Empire is ending but it opens up a lot of new possibilities for the actors.  

He was, at the end of the day, a coworker.  A coworker connected to their livelihood.  And while both may have loved him, they attempted to minimize the situation with their public actions.  The best course of action would have been to keep their mouths shut.  Or at least not completely ignore jussie's culpability.  But the weird public defense and trying to seriously get him back on the show?  No good, and I think it may have soured some people against the show.

But, if their love for him was so great that it was worth the risk of upsetting and alienating people that's a risk they took and it backfired on them.

After their ridiculous commentary, I know I don't look at taraji henson the same way.  I was interested in that movie she had coming out, but no more. Taraji has developed a cross over appeal and maybe she is able to retain that and maybe she isn't. 

• Love 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, RealReality said:

He was, at the end of the day, a coworker.  A coworker connected to their livelihood.  And while both may have loved him, they attempted to minimize the situation with their public actions.  The best course of action would have been to keep their mouths shut.  Or at least not completely ignore jussie's culpability.  But the weird public defense and trying to seriously get him back on the show?  No good, and I think it may have soured some people against the show.

But, if their love for him was so great that it was worth the risk of upsetting and alienating people that's a risk they took and it backfired on them.

After their ridiculous commentary, I know I don't look at taraji henson the same way.  I was interested in that movie she had coming out, but no more. Taraji has developed a cross over appeal and maybe she is able to retain that and maybe she isn't. 

People become friends with their co-workers all the time, so to just say that he is just a co-worker minimizes their relationship. Taraji will be fine and I have no doubt about that.  People are allowed to believe what they want to believe. She believes in Jussie, that is her right. I am not going to turn against Taraji because she and I disagree about Jussie.  Live and let live.  Taraji did nothing wrong in showing support for a friend. I doubt she will be blacklisted in Hollywood for doing that. She has the right to believe what she believes in, full stop. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

People become friends with their co-workers all the time, so to just say that he is just a co-worker minimizes their relationship. Taraji will be fine and I have no doubt about that.  People are allowed to believe what they want to believe. She believes in Jussie, that is her right. I am not going to turn against Taraji because she and I disagree about Jussie.  Live and let live.  Taraji did nothing wrong in showing support for a friend. I doubt she will be blacklisted in Hollywood for doing that. She has the right to believe what she believes in, full stop. 

I think she did because she minimized all the mountains of evidence that showed otherwise and purposefully mischaracterized the situation.

I look at the cast of full house and to me, that is the blueprint.  Bob Saget said simply "we love who we love.". He showed his support but he wasn't on some rampage insisting that Lori Laughlin was innocent and demanding she get her job back from Hallmark.

I think taraji and Terrence were way wrong in their actions and their demands that jussie be let back on the show.  Taraji is a smart woman, she knew darn well that dropping those charges did not exonerate JS, but she went on to loudly and publicly proclaim that it did and that he was totally innocent.

And it may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.   Ratings decline, scandal, skittish advertisers.....and these two out there misrepresenting the situation and demanding that JS be given his job back....it may not have looked like the risk was not worth the reward.

She can believe in whatever she wants to believe in.  But she depends on an audience and advertisers.  

Now that empire has been cancelled, hopefully she will continue to loudly proclaim how jussie smollett is a victim who did nothing wrong and was totally exonerated.  She should absolutely choose this hill to kill her career on.  In fact given how much jussie smollett means to her, I expect nothing less.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 3

I guess its just me, but I don't think the Smollett situation played that big of an impact on the cancellation. The show was declining in quality and ratings were bleeding prior to the Smollett situation. Did factor into the decision? Absolutely.  I also think Fox was going to cancel it at the end of this season anyway.

I don't know who Lee thought he was fooling ending the last season as if there was any chance the heads at Fox were ever going to put Jussie back on screen again. 

He should have killed off Jamal and cleared the way to keep 3 Lyon brothers still on canvas, keeping Kingsley instead. 

To me that was just another dumb, shortsighted decision on his part. A waste of good talent for nothing. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

I don't know who Lee thought he was fooling ending the last season as if there was any chance the heads at Fox were ever going to put Jussie back on screen again. 

He should have killed off Jamal and cleared the way to keep 3 Lyon brothers still on canvas, keeping Kingsley instead. 

To me that was just another dumb, shortsighted decision on his part. A waste of good talent for nothing. 

I just had a good feeling that Jussie would not be coming back.