Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

This is CRAZY! Except for that slight (slight!) dip in the demo it's increased every week! And viewership hasn't ebbed at all, consistent growth. What a hit.

And word of mouth is phenomenal. Cookie is THE breakout character of the season. Man, I hope this results in an Emmys nomination for Taraji. 

• Love 4

Phenomenal. I hope Fox is ready to fork over the big bucks to Taraji and Terrence when their contract renewals come up!

I wonder how many episodes Fox wants for Season 2? Taraji has said in interviews that she likes doing 12-13 episode seasons as it gives her time off to do other roles. With the rise of popular cable shows, I've gotten used to waiting long periods of time between seasons (oh Game of Thrones, it's like a drought in the desert waiting for you to come back!) but I wonder if Fox will be tempted to go for a full 22 episode season. Back in the 90s, Melrose Place would have seasons of up to 34(!) episodes.

Every single primetime network drama on TV suffers in part because it has to run 22-24, whatever. They all have to turn episodic and struggle with it and with drawing out drama for time. (Though HTGAWM has barely held my interest at just 15 or so.) Melrose Place and the old 90210 knew how to roll but that was a different time. I think the cable model is the new and best model and I think it would be tough for Empire to try to run 22 a season.

This is CRAZY! Except for that slight (slight!) dip in the demo it's increased every week! And viewership hasn't ebbed at all, consistent growth. What a hit.

And word of mouth is phenomenal. Cookie is THE breakout character of the season. Man, I hope this results in an Emmys nomination for Taraji. 

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by slight dip? I thought this show's demo keeps going up?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by slight dip? I thought this show's demo keeps going up?

The show's 18-49 demo went from a 4.4 to a 4.3 between episodes 3 and 4. But viewership has increased every week.

It would be a mistake to have this show do a 22 episode season. Hell I think it'd be a mistake to run the season with interruptions. They could do what The Walking Dead does, have a 16 episode season, run 8 episodes in the fall and then 8 more in the winter/spring. 

I'm so so pleased that Empire continues to do well. And I'm particularly thrilled for Taraji, since I think she got a really raw deal on Person of Interest (I still haven't forgiven that show and I don't think I ever will). I only wish Fox had kept this show on the fall schedule, because she would have been a shoo-in for a Golden Globe nomination. (Although in that case Gina Rodriguez might not have won, so...I'm still glad Gina won!)

• Love 9

It would be a mistake to have this show do a 22 episode season. Hell I think it'd be a mistake to run the season with interruptions. They could do what The Walking Dead does, have a 16 episode season, run 8 episodes in the fall and then 8 more in the winter/spring. 

Oh man. Now I'm paranoid that Fox is going to Fox this up.

• Love 2

Phenomenal. I hope Fox is ready to fork over the big bucks to Taraji and Terrence when their contract renewals come up!

I wonder how many episodes Fox wants for Season 2? Taraji has said in interviews that she likes doing 12-13 episode seasons as it gives her time off to do other roles.

If this show is still a huge success after the second season, I wouldn't be shocked if everyone went back to the negotiating table to renegotiate the contracts.  It's not uncommon for this to happen with successful shows where the production company/network agrees to give the actors new contracts with higher salaries in exchange for a longer commitment than their initial contract.

I'm sure FOX wants 24 episodes for Season 2 but if TPH and TH are only contracted for 13 episodes a season, FOX would have to renegotiate their contracts for more.  Or they could order 24 episodes and have 11 episodes without either one or both of those actors.   I believe that's the kind of contract Viola Davis has as well.  HTGAWM will always be around 15 episodes unless they can convince Viola Davis to do more.

I only wish Fox had kept this show on the fall schedule, because she would have been a shoo-in for a Golden Globe nomination. (Although in that case Gina Rodriguez might not have won, so...I'm still glad Gina won!)

That would have been great but Gina would have still won.  She was in the comedy category.  Taraji likely would have been entered into the drama category.  That's the category Connie Britton was nominated in for a similar show.  Ruth Wilson was the winner of that category this year.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
That would have been great but Gina would have still one.  She was in the comedy category.  Taraji likely would have been entered into the drama category.

Oooh, you're right. Damn, now I'm really upset that Fox didn't keep it on the fall schedule.

I know Sleepy Hollow had 13 episodes last season and Fox ordered more this season -- 18 maybe? Of course that show became a disaster this season, ratings-wise, creatively, and fandom-wise. Let's hope that doesn't happen with Empire.

The show's 18-49 demo went from a 4.4 to a 4.3 between episodes 3 and 4. But viewership has increased every week.

I didn't know that. I just keep hearing it increased every week. Thanks for telling me. 

And, I like when shows have only max of 12 episodes. You get better quality then. 

I know Sleepy Hollow had 13 episodes last season and Fox ordered more this season -- 18 maybe? Of course that show became a disaster this season, ratings-wise, creatively, and fandom-wise. Let's hope that doesn't happen with Empire.

Right.  And it's possible. I don't know what TPH and TH's contracts look like but unlike Sleepy Hollow, these two came into this with some bargaining power to limit the length of their seasons should they wish.  Since TPH did do 22 episode seasons before, she may be willing to do more.  I don't know if Terrence would. 

Viola Davis had a similar power to negotiate with her series. 

But longer seasons might be bad for quality but good for business. 

I had not even realized this show had started until about two weeks ago, not sure how the premiere passed me by since I had made a mental note to check it out just because of Taraji; I am one of those Person of Interest fans, and I hated that they killed her off. Luckily I was able to catch up with the episodes with the Fox app. And so far, I am loving this show. Taraji and whoever plays Portia are hilarious, and the rest of the cast is great also.

I hope this doesn't go the way of Revenge, which I loved in its first season but got on my nerves pretty quickly into season 2, so I stopped watching it. I think the 13 episode seasons will bode well for the show in this sense.

Empire exclusive: Hear Jamal's sexy new jam 'I Wanna Love You'

It’s not all sibling rivalry, daddy issues, and murder on Empire. Sure, that’s a lot of it, but this week, middle brother Jamal (Jussie Smollett) is bringing some much-needed love to the mix with “I Wanna Love You,” a downright sexy soul jam written by Smollett himself.

“ ‘I Wanna Love You’ is a soulful, MJ flavored groove. It’s a song that I wrote myself so it’s the first time I get to showcase my own songwriting abilities on ‘Empire,’” Smollett says. “It’s also the first time that we get to see Jamal fully being thrusted into the spotlight with a song that is less focused on his personal pain and more so about the sexy groove of wanting to feel this person in every way…both figuratively and literally.”

In Wednesday’s episode, titled “Out, Damned Spot,” we continue to witness Jamal’s rapid to fame, but it comes with a price: “His newfound drive and ambition stirs up trouble in his relationships.”

The episode welcomes guest stars Courtney Love, Raven-Symoné, and Derek Luke. Love stars as Ellie Dallas, Empire Entertainment’s first label star who hasn’t produced an album in years, whom Lucious has asked Cookie to manage. Symoné plays a “mystery woman from the family’s past” who shows up with a surprise, while Luke is Empire’s new head of security.

Hear the track below, and catch Empire on Wednesday at 9 p.m. on Fox.

This is so INSANE. 

For me the best part about this is that I don't think FOX had any idea the monster it had on its hands. The promotion wasn't nearly what one would expect of a show with these kind of ratings. I mean, maybe it's because I watch ABC more but for months I felt inundated with promos for HTGAWM and Blackish. But hardly anything about Empire until right before it aired.

• Love 4

Remember when American Idol was used to prop up the numbers for the show that follows it?  Empire is now propping up AI's numbers.  This show will be hitting 5.0 soon enough. 

For me the best part about this is that I don't think FOX had any idea the monster it had on its hands.

This show wasn't really on my radar until maybe a month before it started and I didn't even watch the pilot live.  Then I managed to both that and the second episode on the following Saturday and thank God I did. 

• Love 4

This is so INSANE. 

For me the best part about this is that I don't think FOX had any idea the monster it had on its hands. The promotion wasn't nearly what one would expect of a show with these kind of ratings. I mean, maybe it's because I watch ABC more but for months I felt inundated with promos for HTGAWM and Blackish. But hardly anything about Empire until right before it aired.

Its amazing to see! Yesterday I was driving home from work and listening to the local r&b/hip hop station and they were playing a mix with songs from the Empire Soundtrack and inviting listeners to call in and say who their favorite character is.  They called it Empire Wednesdays so this is really becoming a phenomenon.

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 5

Crazy.

I've read people speculating that other networks will try to copycat Empire's success; but I think it's too late into pilot season for that.

THIS. You can't just copycat a show like this. The writing had to be there. The chemistry between the leads has to be there. TPH and TH have it in soades.

Most importantly, you need a force of nature character like Cookie played by a powerful actress like TPH.

I'm glad this show is throwing the media and PTB for a loop with its continued increase in ratings.

• Love 4

I've read people speculating that other networks will try to copycat Empire's success; but I think it's too late into pilot season for that.

At least for next TV season it is which is a good thing.  When Friends debuted, it broke out pretty quickly so network were scrambling to get their own versions ordered to pilot, then to series...then quickly cancel it. Empire has the pedigree of a good cast, thought provoking production and creative team and an all start music supervision.  If networks attempt to replicate that, they would have to find the EXACT balance for that to work.  

• Love 1

I agree that it is too late for other networks to copy Empire now for the current pilot season for the 2015/2016 season. They could have done that if Empire had a fall 2014 premiere, but the midseason premiere date means that we'll have to wait until the next pilot season to see an Empire clone. Or maybe a network will fast-track a clone for an early 2016 premiere.

• Love 1

I think FOX gave Empire major promotion. I saw promos all over the FOX affiliates and its cable networks and there was tons of publicity all over the Internet and in the entertainment media. FOX was desperate for a hit so it threw all in. Here is The Wrap's article on FOX's promotion plan for Empire: http://www.thewrap.com/empire-building-how-fox-topped-the-charts-with-a-hip-hop-soap-opera/

As much as I can't stand Rupert Murdoch, FOX used to be a cutting edge network with shows like Married with Children, the Simpsons, In Living Color, and Beverly Hills 9010. People forget how daring and edgy those shows were considered at that time. FOX got cautious and stopped taking chances. Maybe Empire (although picked up by Kevin Reilly) is showing that they are going back to their roots.

• Love 4

I saw one article in Entertainment Weekly a week before the premiere but I really don't watch FOX. But I read a ton of entertainment sites and this show really did not receive the type of press you'd expect of such a huge hit. Just my opinion.

• Love 1

At least for next TV season it is which is a good thing.  When Friends debuted, it broke out pretty quickly so network were scrambling to get their own versions ordered to pilot, then to series...then quickly cancel it. Empire has the pedigree of a good cast, thought provoking production and creative team and an all start music supervision.  If networks attempt to replicate that, they would have to find the EXACT balance for that to work.  

I just have to throw shade right here.  Friends WAS copycat, it was a white version of the show Living Single on FOX, which was a hit for that channel.  Then they came out with Friends and put it on at the same time and forced LS to get cancelled. 

• Love 10

I think there's a case to be made for Friends (which I didn't watch) being a copy, but I also think it resembled a dozen other sitcoms and was well-marketed and cast. At the same time, there was also a definite point at which FOX became ashamed of its diverse audience. It let shows like Living Single starve out and die off, and I'm still not over what happened to New York Undercover. It was a choice they made. They used to have a lock and they gave it away.

• Love 3

As much as I can't stand Rupert Murdoch...

One thing I will say in his favor -- he knows to keep the "Faux Noise" portion separate from the broadcast channels.  The Simpsons has been quite outspoken in its contempt of the "news" portion of the company.

Just saw Taraji on Good Day New York (the local Fox morning show.) She said the ass scene wasn't in the script but given she was already dressed like that and the previous episode where BBK showed off her body, "it just made sense." to her to go for it ....then she went from talking about her deciding to show her ass to just having to go over to the Westminster Dog winner (the next guest) to congratulate and fuss over her. She's just too awesome.

Also she was asked about the possibility of Lucious and Cookie getting together but as expected she said something about she doesn't even know if she can answer.

• Love 4

Hot goddamn! Where is the ceiling?? The show is now over 5.1 in the demo and nearly 13 million viewers. It will likely adjust up in the final numbers because there was Idol overrun. I could easily see the show doing better next week after last night's *fantastic* episode.

#Boom no longer seems big enough for #EmpireFOX: It jumps over another record, rises to a 5.1 A18-49 and just under 13M viewers.
Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 3

It's word of mouth. Empire is the hot water cooler show.

True. I've been having great conversations with coworkers, friends and family about this show.

I am so excited they hit a 5.1. This show is good and I'm happy it's getting recognition, praise and ratings.

Seven straight weeks with an increasse in the ratings!!!

• Love 3

Glad to hear that Empire is doing well in the ratings. Network shows have taken a hit over the past few years.

I'm still not over what happened to New York Undercover. It was a choice they made. They used to have a lock and they gave it away.

Slightly off topic... Malik Yoba has a great interview with Aisha Tyler on her girl on guy podcast:  http://girlonguy.net/podcast/girl-on-guy-137-malik-yoba/

On the podcast, he talks about the show not having craft services and the main cast not having security on the busy New York streets where they filmed. And this is when the show was at its peak in popularity and ratings-wise.

• Love 2

Mo'Nique discusses being 'blackballed'. Mentions role on Empire that was written for her that was then taken away.

http://jezebel.com/monique-explains-how-shes-being-blackballed-in-hollywoo-16867368

I wonder what role was for Mo'Nique? Becky? Maybe Cookie's sister?

That link doesn't work for me. Here's the original story in The Hollywood Reporter:

Did [Lee Daniels] approach you about maybe being on his hit Fox show Empire?

I was offered the role in The Butler that Oprah Winfrey played. I was also approached by Empire to be on Empire. And I was also offered the role as Richard Pryor's grandmother in [Daniels' upcoming Pryor biopic]. Each of those things that he offered me was taken off the table. (Laughs.) They all just went away. But that's just part of the business, you know? I can't be upset at anybody, 'cause life is too good. It's just what it is.

But you were interested, and the offers suddenly evaporated?

For each of the roles, [Lee] called me. He's always approached me first, and I'm appreciative of it, because I think he is one of the most brilliant visionaries in writing and directing. I'll say this: Whenever you do see me on TV again, or in the movies, you'll know somebody played me fairly.

I think she could've been good as Porsha.