Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Spacewalker

Episode Description:

Clarke returns to Camp Jaha with devastating news. Finn struggles with the aftermath of his actions. Abby gathers information from an unlikely source and prepares for a fight. Meanwhile, flashbacks reveal Finn and Raven’s relationship on the Ark.

Why are most of the characters on this show annoying? I basically only watch for Raven.

I'm with Lincoln. Kill Finn!

Clarke needs to be slapped. As does her holier than thou mother.

Even in those flashback's Thomas's acting was bad. And I just knew eventually this show would make Finn's crime a noble deed and Raven's fault. Way to make the oxygen thing her fault because Finn can't ever be held responsible for anything. Such bs! It also contradicts a scene from last season where Raven warned him about taking more spacewalks. I'm tired of them constantly pushing Clarke and Finn as noble selfless  heroes without fault. And then Flarke angst, ugh! Everything I hated about Season 1 was in this episode.  The only good thing was that they had Clarke kill Finn. I was seriously scared they'd sacrifice Raven for him. 

I still dont understand the separate Grounder language. Like what is the point of it when they speak perfect English too?

• Love 3

I would say RIP Finn, but I don't really mean it.

Damn Clarke.  Raven is going to KILL you. 

Honestly did not expect that ending.  At all.  I knew Clarke knifed him as soon as she hugged him.  I thought she was going to slip him the knife, did not expect her to mercy kill him.

That was the most likable Finn has been all series. In an episode where it was revealed he wasted 3 months of air and 17 grounders, I found that ironic. Maybe it was his willingness to admit his wrong and take responsibility for it. 

Raven kind of pissed me off when she turned on Murphy wanting to turn him over in Finn's place. Murphy was a huge douche, but if I remember correctly he only killed the people who tried to kill him. I can forgive that, more-so now that he seems to have mellowed out a bit. Finn killed 17 innocent villagers including children. Raven trying to make it sound like Murphy was worse than Finn was insane. I guess I can forgive her because she was emotional.

Clarke being so hard on Murphy was baffling at first, before I realized that she really didn't have much contact with him this season. The last she saw of him he had murdered two people and tried to kill Bellamy.

The only adult worth keeping around at this point is Marcus. I've been getting bad vibes from Jaha since he returned to camp, and Abbie is just plain insufferable. 

Clarke killing Finn was brilliant. All season long I felt like something was missing. The darkness that the show morphed into by the end of season one was erased by having the kids and adults reunite and the adults take control. So Clarke taking it upon herself to kill Finn to save him from being tortured was as dark as hell. This can only lead to some amzing character development.

What I didn't like? Aside from Abbie, I disliked them trying to sell me that Clarke returned Finn's feelings. I haven't felt that from her since season 1. Her admitting that she loved him tonight had me going "Really?"

Props to the writers for having the guts to kill off Finn. Many fans never gravitated to him, and he became increasingly unlikable over the course of the series. I don't think the writers realized how he was coming across to the audience, but its nice that they realized him dying wouldn't hinder the show.

• Love 3

I was expecting the mercy kill when Lexa let her go to him. It seemed kind of like Lexa knew what was going to happen and let it, the way she was eyeing Clarke's sleeve. Finn died kind of quickly from that stab wound, though. Wouldn't it take a while to bleed to death from a stab to the gut?

I thought that whole spacewalk thing was dumb when every crime on the Ark is punishable by death. Aw, it's so romantic, giving your girlfriend a gift she could die for! And I guess losing three months of oxygen ended up killing a bunch of extra people down the road, too. If they were trying to paint Finn in a noble, sympathetic light, I didn't quite feel it.

• Love 6

I thought that whole spacewalk thing was dumb when every crime on the Ark is punishable by death. Aw, it's so romantic, giving your girlfriend a gift she could die for! And I guess losing three months of oxygen ended up killing a bunch of extra people down the road, too. If they were trying to paint Finn in a noble, sympathetic light, I didn't quite feel it.

Agreed.  It did, though, paint really clearly why Raven felt like she owed Finn her life, and why she was ready to save him at all costs, and I thought the flashbacks were really effective from that front.  

I'm really enjoying how we get to see that no one wears a halo in this show, and everyone's got some darkness in them.  I have to keep telling myself that sometimes, because good lord, some of these characters seriously grate with their innate sense of privilege.  

Edited by whirlingdervish
  • Love 4

I think there was some ambiguity to Clarke's "I love you too" to Finn. I'm inclined to think she did love him, but I also think she could have said it as a kindness to him in his last moments. 

I am so impressed by this show. I know others have compared it unfavorably to Battlestar Galactica, but honestly, this is the show I wanted Battlestar Galactica to be, a show about difficult choices people make when they're struggling to survive. The moment when Clarke said to Finn, "The things we do to survive don't define us" was when I realized that Clarke loved Finn. In the moment, I think she wanted that to be true for Finn's sake (because she loves him), but the reason Clarke has become the leader of her people is because she knows how important choices are, and because she's willing to carry the weight of them. Eliza Taylor was fantastic in that last scene, she does a good job of letting the teenaged girl Clarke is peek through every so often (like when she was reunited with her mother a few weeks ago, or the way she said "you're okay" to Finn at the end) and those moments are really heartbreaking. 

• Love 4

I'm shocked they killed off Finn (if he stays dead) but good move. His slaughtering of 18 innocent people shouldn't get to go away "because he's Finn." He made Murphy look like a white knight compared to what he did and Raven trying to make Murphy take the fall was disgusting. Murphy tried to stop Finn, Murphy knew the difference between right and wrong there. Finn didn't and he deserved to pay for it. He redeemed himself a lot turning himself in and not letting more innocent people die for him. 

Loved seeing Marcus return, he's a good leader and I half expected he and Abby to run into each others arms. lol

Whether Clarke loved him or not, she cared a lot about of him and it was good of her to mercy kill him instead of him being slaughtered and mutilated for show. 

Edited by Artsda

Damn.  Props to everyone who called Finn being a goner.  Can't believe they went through with it.  But, as soon as I saw that episode was going to have flashbacks to how he became one of The 100, I kind of figured this was where it was heading.  So, it ended up that Finn was covering for Raven.  Makes him a bit too noble for my taste, but it does explain why Raven was so loyal to him, even after he slept with Clarke.  But, now he's dead... at the hands of Clarke.  Mercy killing, sure, but that certainly was a way to go.  Again, props, show.

That said, this show is finding bizarre ways to make me actually side with Murphy.  I mean, first he was falsely accused of a murder, and almost executed for it.  Clarke then blames him for, I don't know, not physically stopping Finn or something for being trigger happy.  Now, Raven totally tried to set him up to take a fall.  It's stuff like that makes me understand why he has to go psycho every now and then.  It was certainly an odd feeling siding with him over Raven.  I guess I have to just accept that Raven's feelings for Finn really made her this manipulative.  Plus, I still wonder if she secretly still resents that it was his bullet that crippled her leg.

At least Lexa is satisfied, and seems to be willing to go forward.  Which makes me think something is going to happen. My guess is that Indra is going to come into play.  With all the build-up and being played by a recognizable face like Adina Porter, I have to think Indra isn't just going to merely be an annoyed henchwoman.

Kane is back!  Maybe he can help facilitate things, with Abby and Jaha pretty much at each others' throats.

Didn't even miss the Mt. Weather people.  I think I'm much more interested in the stuff involving The Grounders then them. 

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

...Finn died kind of quickly from that stab wound, though. Wouldn't it take a while to bleed to death from a stab to the gut?...

I seem to recall on a Law & Order and/or CSI show that a killer with surgical knowledge would thrust the knife in an upward motion to get to the heart and/or lungs.

Did Jaha and Kane do a body swap? It seems like they switched personalities--but that's par for the course on this show.

Raven is sure light on her feet now.

• Love 1

I don't feel sorry for Murphy despite this show trying to make me feel that way. I still remember how he killed those people last season and how he treated them in inhumane ways. He's no better than Finn.

• Love 1

Did not like the retcon that Finn did it all for Raven.  Boo show, boo.  In the end, Finn is still the one that stole the suit and thought it was a reasonable present to give. Extra boo for making it all pointless since she did get her zero G certification.  

Also show,  not buying him not shooting the Grounder who attacked them.  Too little too late.  The Finn that gunned down 18 defenseless people was the one that I most believed.  That’s the same guy who decided unilaterally to shoot the one that gave them info just in case he might possibly escape. 

I wish for Raven’s sake Finn didn’t have to die but more than any character on the show, his actions called for his punishment.  I mean, they made me feel bad for Murphy!!! Twice!!

Some say the whole killing spree thing was out of character for Finn, but his reaction in the village seemed just another example of his weakness in character.  He wasn’t IMO a peacemaker because he was a peaceful guy, he did it because he lacked the stomach to face real consequences and blindly hoped to get off easy.  He makes poor choices. 

Clarke tries to let him off the hook saying the things they did to survive don’t define them, but he didn’t kill the villagers to survive.  He did it because he was afraid and as usual, he puts his feelings ahead of everything else.  He’s afraid so they had to die.  He couldn’t see past his fear to the part where they weren’t  a threat.  He didn’t even see them as human. 

I was actually happy with the ending until I saw the previews that hinted that he’s not actually dead. 

Boo show, boo.

Edited to say:  Well, interviews with the producers seem to say Finn is actually dead.  Dare I hope?

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

I like how Bellamy now appears to be in charge of security -- where are the Guardsmen and Major Byrne ?   Huddling in the background of most scenes, of course.

Really, flashbacks to retcon Finn ?  Uggh.  And just to add insult to injury, there are screen flares everywhere even in the flashbacks. Uggh again.

Nice Clarke, blame Murphy for not trying hard enough to stop Finn's killing spree.  Yeah, it's all Murphy's fault. Sure, keep telling yourself that Clarke. Delusion is a great place to live, you get everything you want.

Finn: "Oh, Clarke.  Do you Forgive Me ?"   Ummmm, she never really says yes, until right before she kills him.  It's 'Love Story 2: The Quickening'.  I think I'm going to cry.

How did it suddenly become daytime -- Clarke leaves Murphy to go see Lincoln in the dark of night ?  Next time we see her at Lincoln's bedside, it's practically mid-day. WTF ?  And the grounders on horseback seemed to have to problem sitting there for hours at a time.  Kind of doubt it -- grounders aren't the type to enjoy being kept waiting.

So, is Clarke the only person at Alpha Station besides Lincoln who knows what the grounders are yelling ?  How exactly did she learn their entire language from Anya (I ask once again) ?

They have to quit filming in natural light outdoors -- the crappy makeup jobs really shine in natural light.  The applied facial scar outlines on the grounders, the weird shadowing on peoples faces.

Awwwww, the kids are all pissy that the adults are in charge and won't tell them anything.  Well, they better get used to it since the adults outnumber what's left of the original 100 significantly at Alpha Station.

Surrounded on all sides by grounders, how in the hell are they going to sneak off to the dropship ?    The dropship with the door open is the worst defensible position.

With all the security on the Ark, how did no one in the command center notice that and airlock had cycled ? Or after the alarms started going off with regards to the outer door breach it took security so long to get to the airlock (long enough for Raen to get out of the spacesuit and Finn to get in it). And wouldn't that little spacewalk have been an imprisonable offence (or a spacing offence if she was over 18 at the time) ? And that's the story of how Finn became a real boy, .... correction, how Finn went to prison.

Why did the grounders give up Kane so easily ?  That seems so out of character for them.

Following up on that, I loved it when Clarke gets hit by that grounder -- just add that wound to the massive gash on her right forearm, or the gunshot wound in her shoulder.  Now she has a gaping headwound, but I'm sure she will just walk it off.  Oh noes, now Finn is the merciful one -- I'm sure the grounders will be ok with him living now and just call it even (but not really).  Oh, it's just a bump on the head -- Clarke was hit on the head by a grounder with an axe falling from above, how is that just a bump on the noggin ?  But there she was up and aiming a gun like she just had a nap.

Raven is sure light on her feet now.

Interesting how Raven is not even limping anymore with her braced leg -- she still has no feeling in it, but is walking like normal. Whatever.

Murphy said the episode title, when asked about Finn, he said "Don't worry, spacewalker is going to be fine".  Is Finn supposed to be the spacewalker, because that's the first time I believe he has ever been referred to as such (yup, full retcon in play).

Wow, I'd say Raven is even worse than Finn at this point -- she deliberately planned to sacrifice Murphy to the grounders from the get go.  I say let the grounders have her and Finn -- call it a twofer. And after all those shenanigans, Finn gives himself up.  What a bunch of filler !!

Don't grounders have arrows and giant spears ?  Sure they don't out distance an assault rifle, but they only have to throw them in vast numbers from behind the trees so that just one hits the target.

And Clarke's big boobs were in full bounce mode again tonight.  There has to be the remains of an outlet mall somewhere she can get a sports bra or something.

I like how Clarke just completely ignores what the adults decide and does what she wants regardless of the consequences for everyone else.  After what Kane and Abby just said, they just let Clarke stroll out the unguarded side gate that non of the Guardsman should have been watching.  And of course, none of the grounders even try to search her before letting Clarke approach the commander.  Sure, why not ?  The grounders are formidable army, but are terrible are things like basic security.  Wouldn't it have been hilarious if there was poison on the end of the sub-commanders spear (remember when Finn was poisoned by a similar weapon with poison on the blade) ?

Clarke really doesn't know her audience -- after Lincoln told her that if the commander showed mercy that her own people would kill her, there's Clarke asking for mercy like whatever.  

Clarke: "He did it for me.".  Grounder commander: "Then he dies for you".  Can you feel the love tonight ?

Clarke: Finn, I know you're a mass murderer, and you did it for me, but I still love you.  Barf.

And Clarke stabs Finn in the heart, but come on, he's not really dead -- if Clarke can walk off all sorts of major traumatic wounds like that, Finn should be just fine.  Oh noes, Clarke took away the grounders fun time torturing Finn.  I guess Clarke can't really bitch out Murphy about being a murderer now that she actually is one (as long as you don't count all the burned corpses at the drop ship).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

Finn dying is the one thing I wanted. Please let it be true!

I knew Clarke would knife Finn the second they gave her a knife and sent her into camp. I thought she'll make sure he dies quickly. Would she have to go for the heart and lungs? I thought she would have tried to sever his aorta. Unconscious in  seconds, can bleed out in a minute or two, I'd think.

• Love 1

I wonder where Clarke buys her mascara.  When she came to in the drop ship, she had some serious eyelashes going on.

The horses were pretty.  The mountain men are just crazy.  I think in some way or another, Clarke did love Finn.  I was surprised they actually killed him off, though.

• Love 1

Wow, the show actually has balls! I loved the hell out of the ending. Very Buffy-esque (not as good, obviously, but what it?) I really didn't expect them to do it until almost the end. I'm very genre savvy, and those writer interviews with Finn-praising almost convinced me they weren't going to kill him off until at least season finale. And then they brought Murphy out for this ep, and I was expecting for the characters to try switching him for Finn. Or for politics to work out and the Grounders to forgive him (that would be so disappointing). Or basically anything else rather than what happened. I'm very impressed. 

I do think the first half of the episode was pretty weak, however. Thomas McDonnell is obviously a pretty weak actor, and Lindsey Morgan has acted circles around him in the flashbacks. I am glad to get this backstory, however, because Raven's obsession with Finn has never been really explained other than a one-sentence handwave about her abusive mother.

I really hated how every main character, even Bellamy, for whom it felt a tiny bit out of character, we all 100% pro-Finn. Even Abby (at least up to a point). This is a matter of life and death, people. I fanwanked this as all the teens went through hell together last season and this stuff creates really strong bonds. Plus, they don't seem to care that he killed civilians. For them, they were enemy first and foremost. But still, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't want to fanwank too much, I'd prefer to see this stuff explained or implied, at least.

It's nice that Clarke's actions at the end felt very much in line with her character, right from her very first developments in one of the first few episodes of s1. I'm a bit worried her friendship with Raven will be destroyed permanently, however. Well, at least Bellamy will probably be on her side, so there's that. Abby too, I guess.

Overall, the episode has revitalized my faith in the show. And please, CW, don't even think about canceling it. I won't forgive you, ever.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 4

I wasn't surprised Finn died since the actor hasn't been on set for a long time now. And a midseason episode dedicated to him followed by "Remember Me" were dead giveaways. But it's nice to have it be done and over with. 

Great episode. I'm enjoying the girls having all the power and the boys being tossed around as damsels or otherwise pawns. This is truly a show about the gals, with the boys all being interchangeable, always swapping personalities and motives when the plot needs it, which means they're all replaceable. I would like it if going forward we see a high number of dead male characters as a reverse on how women are often the ones getting fridged. Aside from Lincoln, I don't think there's any of them I'd miss. 

I'm a bit worried her friendship with Raven will be destroyed permanently, however. Well, at least Bellamy will probably be on her side, so there's that. Abby too, I guess.

I'm not so sure about that. Bellamy is a whole new person now, so who knows anything with him. But I thought all the scenes he had with Raven were foreshadowing something between them. Abby will more than likely take issue with Clarke putting herself in that position, as she has recently remembered to protect the minors. 

Edited by driedfruit

Well, I never thought they'd did it, but when Raven put the knife in Clarke's sleeve, I knew the guy was toast.

I won't miss Finn, but this last sequence was kinda epic, props to Eliza Taylor (and McDonell who upped his game for this one, thankfully, since he really was the weakest among the "kids". I put the " " because the characters definitely aren't kids anymore.). 

I still don't buy Clarke's "I love you" however, in my head, she told him only to soothe him before the kill. Other than that, I haven't seen anything between the moment he made his big declaration in S1 and this ep that would convince me she loved him.

The flashbacks did nothing to make me regret Finn: the Spacewalk was his idea, even if it was for Raven that he did it. And the acting was pretty passable. But at least I could get why Raven felt like she owed him her life.

As for the episode itself, I found that some characters acted OOC, like Octavia. She knew some of the Grounders that were killed, and it would have been nice to see at least one of the Hundreds actually siding with the Grounders. Glad that Lincoln spoke up and said that the people killed were his friends too.

I kinda felt bad for Murphy: first Clarke blaming him, then Raven planning to give him instead (although in her case, he did cripple her, I could understand the resentment). The guy still repays his dickish behavior, and I thought before the ep that he would be the one given to the Grounders, but I'm glad he wasn't: the character is definitely interesting as well as the actor. I'd like to see where this goes.

The dynamic between Raven and Clarke will be interesting to watch, major shift coming through. Overall, I can't wait to see everyone's reaction to Clarke killing Finn. I think Bellamy will understand that she did the only thing she could(callback to S1 mercy killing), Raven will hate her, for sure. I wonder what the adults reactions will be.

One thing is sure: even if the SL was clunky at times, it sure put me on the edge of my seat, and waiting for January 21st will be long, very long.

• Love 2
Awwwww, the kids are all pissy that the adults are in charge and won't tell them anything.  Well, they better get used to it since the adults outnumber what's left of the original 100 significantly at Alpha Station.

But they are not kids anymore, and if anything, Clarke showed the adults that they have to consider them as equals. The past episodes showed that people of the Ark were realizing that little by little. We saw this episode that Bellamy somehow leads the guards, and there was this scene with the guy giving him a gun in the garage. Abby followed Clarke's lead in the previous episode, Clarke is the one meeting the Commander of the Grounders... I'd say the adults should be the one getting used to have to share with the "kids".

I still dont understand the separate Grounder language. Like what is the point of it when they speak perfect English too?

Clarke is still a child, no matter how mature she acts, and I like that the show doesn't forget that. Every plan they (Clark/Bell/Raven) came up with was them grasping at straws and not well thought out. But I think they knew it, and Finn knew as soon as Clark told him Lexa's ultimatum that he was going to die.

And I actually like Abby. I love that most of the people in charge of every faction (MW excluded) are female. And they're farely competent and their people have faith in them for the most part.

Oh, and about the English/different languages thing. Someone else likened it to Creol -a mixture of english, french, and other languages. If they're on the east coast in the DMV area, there are a healthy mix of languages here already. It'd make sense if they came up with a bastardized language to help them be able to understand each other (the survivors). But since they're still in the US (and it makes it easier from a writing standpoint), the higher ups still speak English fluently.

Raven kind of pissed me off when she turned on Murphy wanting to turn him over in Finn's place. Murphy was a huge douche, but if I remember correctly he only killed the people who tried to kill him. I can forgive that, more-so now that he seems to have mellowed out a bit. Finn killed 17 innocent villagers including children. Raven trying to make it sound like Murphy was worse than Finn was insane. I guess I can forgive her because she was emotional.

Clarke being so hard on Murphy was baffling at first, before I realized that she really didn't have much contact with him this season. The last she saw of him he had murdered two people and tried to kill Bellamy.

Mehh. I could understand why Raven would do it. Murphy did shoot her and is the reason why she'll never be opperating at 100% again. And he killed their own, it's called tribe mentality. Things you do to people inside of the tribe is seen as being more heinous than anything you could ever do to an outsider. Because if you hurt a tribe member, you potentially hurt the tribe as a whole. Survival and all

Clarke was reaching and Murphy knew it. That's why he threw "If you're looking for someone to blame, he was out there looking for you" back in her face. She knows that, and I thought Eliza portrayed that adequately over the last few episodes. She feels guilty by association because he, essentially, killed all of those people because of her. In her mind, it's all on her. Same with Raven in a way. If she hadn't gone along with the spacewalking thing, Finn would've never taken the fall for her, fallen in love with Clark, and killed those villagers. It's nonsensical to a person standing on the outside of a situation, but people never react logically when it has to do with people they love. /shrugs

So while they're actions are frustrating (to me), they make sense when you think about it.

Clarke tries to let him off the hook saying the things they did to survive don’t define them, but he didn’t kill the villagers to survive.  He did it because he was afraid and as usual, he puts his feelings ahead of everything else.  He’s afraid so they had to die.  He couldn’t see past his fear to the part where they weren’t  a threat.  He didn’t even see them as human. 

I like that Finn came to terms with that and he didn't make excuses for it even when Clark tried to make excuses for him. He straight up told her that he didn't kill those grounders for their people, he did it for her.

A big part of Clark's guilt in the back episodes will be coming to terms with that. Like Lexa told her, He did it for you and now he's dying for you.

• Love 1

My faith in the show and this season was just reaffirmed with Finn's death. Seeing a character killed off on a network show like this, especially one centered around teens is rare. I was wondering how they were going to live up to the convention-shattering episodes and character developments from season one.

Still don't care for, what's his name? Grounder/Reaper dude? He is a complete traitor to his people. Why?!

Bellamy should have killed him off when he and his sister came across him as a reaper in the previous episode. 

He is a complete traitor to his people. Why?!

He didn't believe their war on a bunch of kids was justified. Or he is in love and everything is justified in the face of love on a teen show. 

He is a good source of exposition so I'm not surprised he hasn't died. 

And I actually like Abby. I love that most of the people in charge of every faction (MW excluded) are female. And they're farely competent and their people have faith in them for the most part.

MW is the most vicious and inhuman (and stupidest) of the societies. So there is another point for the girls.

Edited by driedfruit
  • Love 2

I really wish that Finn was a better developed character, because all the hand waving they did to convince us that he was sympathetic was really tiresome. I didn't think him shooting down 18 innocent people was in character either, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that everything he's ever done has just been a series of random contrived plot points that weren't worth trying to make sense out of. Least of all his romantic relationships. I believe Raven's unwavering devotion towards him, even though I can't understand why she's so loyal to him, and I haven't been so uncomfortable by a declaration of love like the "Please stop talking, I am obviously not into this" scene between Finn and Clarke this episode since the Peeta/Katniss cave scene in The Hunger Games when he waxed poetically about stalking her every day. Every day.

It's so odd too, because all the other main kids have been so richly developed. I'm glad they cut their loses and just dumped the Finn character. Should make for some interesting conflict between Clarke and Raven. I did think Clarke's choice to mercy kill him was really well done.

Edited by absnow54
Clarke's choice to mercy kill him was really well done.

Well, she has had practice mercy-killing people back in Season 1.  Maybe in the latter half of Season 2, she will develop a taste for killing and go on a grounder killing spree, and once they are all dead she will focus on Mt. Weather. And once they are all dead, she will just kill anyone that gets in her way, like the Terminator.

• Love 4

I wanted flashbacks for Raven but those were lame and a waste. I want some real insight to her life on the Ark and her relationship with her mother. Once she left the Ark the entire focus has been on her relationship with Finn and telling the audience she's a strong woman.

I think that's one of my big problems with this show. They put all these women in charge and continue to tell us how strong and amazing they are but outside of Clarke and her mom there's barely any character development for them.

Anyone else let out a breath when they realized Bellamy and Raven were safe behind the fence?  I was so afraid either of them would be the sacrifice.  I don't hate Finn per se, but his story has run its course.

I think in some way or another, Clarke did love Finn.

I think Clarke loved the idea of Finn.  In season one, he was Wells without the personal baggage, and for the most part, the opposite of Bellamy.  He didn't always agree with her, but he didn't support the disaster of "whatever the hell we want."  He was funny and sweet; he brought her the pencil and figured out Wells' lie.  He's the reason she made up with Wells before his murder.  He was also one of five people that liked her in the early days, so that helped.  As time went on, I think she was attracted to his "peacemaker" schtick when Bellamy kept pushing for war.  The Raven drama blew a lot of that apart, when she realized he could lie, and cheat, and be selfish; this was all when Bellamy was mostly doing those things, so it would have been devastating to realize the truth about Finn.  Then, things got worse, more people died, she killed a Grounder in cold-blood, and the memory of what Finn was became a touchpoint.  So yeah, when he became a mass murderer, it was easier to cling to who he used to be than recognize what he's become. I like to believe she wasn't just saying goodbye to Finn, but that part of herself. The horror of her life is fully reality and none of the good stuff is left.  

I really hated how every main character, even Bellamy, for whom it felt a tiny bit out of character, we all 100% pro-Finn. Even Abby (at least up to a point). This is a matter of life and death, people. I fanwanked this as all the teens went through hell together last season and this stuff creates really strong bonds. Plus, they don't seem to care that he killed civilians. For them, they were enemy first and foremost. But still, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't want to fanwank too much, I'd prefer to see this stuff explained or implied, at least.

Me too.  I'm fanwanking Bellamy's behavior as guilt for giving Finn the gun he used to massacre the village. He also rescued Mel, delaying Finn's rescue mission for Clarke.  Murphy's guilty because he couldn't stop him.  The show needs to allow these kinds of moments, time to get into the characters' headspace and understand why they're making these decisions.  We had more of them in season one; they need to make a comeback.

My main issue with this season is that is that it needs to slow down.  Yes, the characters are under enormous stress, but everything is happening on such a heightened level.  They need to focus more on characterization in 2B, particularly Bellamy.  He was the co-lead in season one and he's barely been a supporting character this season.  I miss the drama over the details of daily life, eking survival amid the Grounder violence.  On BSG, the characters were almost always at war, but also focused on civil rights, abortion, class divisions, government upheaval -  I think the writers made the right call for the first half of the season, but I'd like to see them tackle the fundamental elements of a society. 

Small detail: I liked that Finn wore that tired shirt in the flashbacks while Clarke was seen wearing an entirely different outfit in 1x03.  It demonstrated the Ark's social classes well.  More of that, less running through the woods.

I'm also REALLY happy that it means no more "epic retribution" promos.  What is wrong with the CW promo team?  Murdering 18 civilians isn't "retribution"; it's murder.

• Love 3

I only caught up on The 100 a few weeks ago, so I probably have a different view on the series than a lot of you do. That said, I did sort of hate Finn from Moment 1 of the series, so I was pleased with the ending of the episode. But really, he would have just been a minor irritation had the massacre not occurred. Even then, he could have become an interesting study of what can happen to people after they snap.

But instead, the writers (and JR in particular, it seems) always took his side, and that is...unsettling. They had every character make excuses for him, compare their own sins to his, and forgive him. They had him, time and again, excuse his own actions by blaming others or offering the justification that it was for Clarke. Even last night, he said something about how everything that happened, he was OK with it, because she was all right. I mean...a) she IS all right, but Finn had absolutely nothing to do with that, and b) you probably shouldn't be "OK" with having killed 18 innocent people, regardless.

So it's odd, because on the one hand, Rothenberg says that there really is no coming back from killing those people, no way to atone or become okay again. But on the other hand, he and his staff are the people writing the rest of the characters, who are going out of their way to try to absolve Finn. And they retcon the Space Walk in the same episode, in order to make him more sympathetic. That doesn't even bother me that much, though I'd love to know whether they really knew that they would do that from the beginning, or only after viewers didn't take to Finn the way they thought we would.

Anyway, I have a bunch of reservations about this show, but in general, I find it an exhilarating hour of TV every week. And I truly love the characters. Now that Finn's gone, Jasper's the only character left that I don't find interesting.

• Love 5

I like that Finn came to terms with that and he didn't make excuses for it even when Clark tried to make excuses for him. He straight up told her that he didn't kill those grounders for their people, he did it for her.

A big part of Clark's guilt in the back episodes will be coming to terms with that. Like Lexa told her, He did it for you and now he's dying for you.

I know the reason Finn was in the village was because of Clarke and that's why they were rounded up and interrogated, but for him to say he killed them for Clarke, that is in my opinion just an excuse to distance him from what he did .  In the moment before the shooting, he was leaving.  Murphy reasoned with him and on some level he knew any harm to the defenseless would be something that Clarke would never want him to do nor was it at all productive or did he have a justifiable reason to seek revenge for her possible death or harm. 

He was well enough convinced they knew nothing more, but he was out of control and acting on instinct and that instinct was to protect himself.  He didn't kill the grounders in an attempt to accomplish anything that would bring him closer to Clarke except that he suddenly saw every move and twitch they made as a threat to his life and his future.  The first death, maybe even the second could have been forgivable given the high emotional state of everyone, but he had time between the killings to see what he was doing and he didn't stop.    The only thing Murphy could have done was kill him (which I more than half expected given  how crazy he was)

I hate that Finn lays his action at Clarke's feet.  It's all for her, because of her and that's not fair.  It's good that he offered himself up, but I don't think he ever really stopped thinking what he'd done was justifiable or at least some how worth it. 

That said, I did sort of hate Finn from Moment 1 of the series, so I was pleased with the ending of the episode. But really, he would have just been a minor irritation had the massacre not occurred. Even then, he could have become an interesting study of what can happen to people after they snap.

Yeah, I was not a Finn fan from the moment he took his seatbelt off in the landing ship.  He was supposed to be the cool rebel soulful boy but I just kept seeing shallow and immature and what happened with Raven just proved every instinct I'd had.  I kept getting the feeling that he liked doing noble things because of how they made him feel and look, not because he so very deeply cared about the people he was doing things for.  What he had with Raven should have been stronger than a brief flirtation on the ground.  It's one thing to think he was never going to see her again and move forward but then when she was there in all her awesomeness, to feel kind of nothing and to have used the same moves on another girl, just no. 

I don't ship anyone except maybe Lincoln and Octavia in a mild way but Finn never felt like he belonged on this show and he always seemed to make Clarke look bad and I didn't like that.  Anyway, looking forward to what they have in store next.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

I've gotten to an acceptable level of suspension of disbelief with this show, but I will never not laugh when the teens just walk away to do whatever the adults explicitly told them not to do. They don't even bother sneaking now. And rather than tie them up before they get everyone killed, the adults just shake their heads. Those darn teens, always wandering off.

• Love 3

I hate that Finn lays his action at Clarke's feet.  It's all for her, because of her and that's not fair.  It's good that he offered himself up, but I don't think he ever really stopped thinking what he'd done was justifiable or at least some how worth it. 

Yeah, I was not a Finn fan from the moment he took his seatbelt off in the landing ship.  He was supposed to be the cool rebel soulful boy but I just kept seeing shallow and immature and what happened with Raven just proved every instinct I'd had.  I kept getting the feeling that he liked doing noble things because of how they made him feel and look, not because he so very deeply cared about the people he was doing things for.  

Yes, and these things are worlds apart, but I see this pattern as the same, from the writers' perspective. Raven didn't ask him to set up this space walk for her, and when it went wrong, he wanted to take the blame. Okay, good, he should. It was at least half his fault, and obviously a few months in jail is better than her death. But the show presents it like he took the blame FOR Raven, and like he's so selfless and we've all blamed him for this thing he didn't do, don't you feel bad now? Not exactly.

And then with Clarke, again. Yes, he was looking for her, but he was looking in the wrong place to begin with, and she would never ever have wanted him to use the tactics he did to find her anyway. And by the time he started killing the Grounders, that had nothing to do with finding her. He had simply lost it at that point. All of that is on him and no one else. But because he initially went out to find her, the writers are laying this at her feet. The same way they treated what happened with the space walk as though it was really Raven's fault, but Finn selflessly took the hit for it. Nope, on both counts.

And I totally get both Clarke and Raven internalizing feelings of guilt or responsibility--that, I would be okay with. It's just that no one on the 100/Arc side of things really took the correct position w/r/t Finn. No one said, "This guy murdered these people and I am not cool with him anymore. I think he needs to be in prison." Not until the Grounders held their feet to the fire did they suggest that. No, he apparently passed his little Inquisition with flying colors and they just let him back out into the world. The message the show has sent is that he's basically a good guy who made a little oopsie, but he did it because he just FEELS things so HARD, and they've all done bad things because they're in a war, so the nuances no longer matter apparently.

So anyway, that's why I was at least glad to see JR say that they knew they were going to have him do something so heinous that he really couldn't be allowed to live afterward. I appreciate that outside of the text, they believe that. But on the show, they've spent a lot of time having our heroes justify and excuse and forgive.

I don't ship anyone except maybe Lincoln and Octavia in a mild way but Finn never felt like he belonged on this show and he always seemed to make Clarke look bad and I didn't like that.

And this was the part of JR's comments that irked me--where he said that the divide between reactions to what happened with Finn since the massacre took place along shipping lines. I like the idea of Clarke/Bellamy, but there just hasn't been enough there for me yet to say that I really ship it. And I was sort of predisposed to it, because I'd seen so many references to Bellarke prior to watching. But I was surprised to find that I am way more into Lincoln/Octavia, and am in wait-and-see mode for Bellarke. And I'm not totally crazy about Bellamy either. I like him, but I don't feel like I know or understand him as well as I do the female 100 characters. So JR's assertion that if you hate Finn and found his murder of 18 innocent people unforgivable, then you must be a Bellamy/Bellarke fan was insulting and condescending crap. Like...did you consider that you just didn't write a very good character? Or that you maybe mishandled this story a bit? No? Must just be a bunch of crazy shippers out there?

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 4

So JR's assertion that if you hate Finn and found his murder of 18 innocent people unforgivable, then you must be a Bellamy/Bellarke fan was insulting and condescending crap. Like...did you consider that you just didn't write a very good character? Or that you maybe mishandled this story a bit? No? Must just be a bunch of crazy shippers out there?

I was no fan of Bellamy for most of season one, but he at least had his devotion to his sister to humanize him.  I had no desire to pair him with anyone though.  I just didn't want Clarke with Finn.  It's only been this year and maybe a little bit of last year where we started seeing Bellemy step up and act like a leader putting their people ahead of his agenda that I have even warmed to him.  Thing is, I can say the say thing about Murphy of all people.  I don't think I really want Clarke in any kind of emotional entanglements right now. 

It kind of appalls me how anyone could side with Finn after what he did.  Call it unfair character assassination if they want, but once that trigger was pulled (pun intended) he was unredeemable.  I would have felt the same about any character from any show in this set of circumstances.     

• Love 2
But instead, the writers (and JR in particular, it seems) always took his side, and that is...unsettling. They had every character make excuses for him, compare their own sins to his, and forgive him. They had him, time and again, excuse his own actions by blaming others or offering the justification that it was for Clarke. Even last night, he said something about how everything that happened, he was OK with it, because she was all right. I mean...a) she IS all right, but Finn had absolutely nothing to do with that, and b) you probably shouldn't be "OK" with having killed 18 innocent people, regardless.

I think he was the writers' pet, to a certain point. He was the only main character not from the books (at the start). He was the main love interest. He was a pretty shitty character, but they (or at least Rothenberg) seem to love him, and fan reaction has probably hurt them (and yeah "People who like Bellamy and Clarke didn't like Finn" is a gross simplification of why people didn't like Finn). Actually, it kinda reminds me of Rob Thomas of Veronica Mars fame and his obsession with Duncan Kane, who was also the main heroine's love interest whom people hated. RT was always pretty defensive about the character, and who knows, maybe wouldn't even have written him off if the actor didn't quit (thank god he did).

Anyway, I'm just glad that the writers had enough sense to understand that Finn didn't work, whatever the reason. It's nice to see the show work on its mistakes, not push them into the viewers' faces (like "Arrow" does with Laurel, for instance).

• Love 5
So anyway, that's why I was at least glad to see JR say that they knew they were going to have him do something so heinous that he really couldn't be allowed to live afterward. I appreciate that outside of the text, they believe that. But on the show, they've spent a lot of time having our heroes justify and excuse and forgive.

I don't care much about Bellamy anymore and I have no interest in seeing Bellarke happen, and even so I thought it was a joke if not downright insulting how they did their hardest to make excuses for Finn and paint him in a good light. Finn was an alright character last season, but once they decided to have him go dark they should've committed to his downfall, not soften the landing. I would've enjoyed the episode more if every character didn't twist themselves into a pretzel trying to come up with justifications for Finn. I can excuse Clarke and Raven for being teenagers and too tangled in their respective feelings for Finn, and the murdering assholes like Murphy and Bellamy, but Octavia and even the only adult around, Abby handwaving the massacre was hard to take.  

Edited by driedfruit
  • Love 3
I thought it was a joke if not downright insulting how they did their hardest to make excuses for Finn and paint him in a good light. Finn was an alright character last season, but once they decided to have him go dark they should've committed to his downfall, not soften the landing.

Yes! They needed to pick a side. Either Finn should have been haunted by guilt and remorse for his actions while the others tried to protect him OR the others should have been appropriately horrified by his nonchalant "Oh, are they mad about that slaughter thing? Weird." attitude. Instead they played it off like Finn had temporary PTSD and is totally fine now, and why are the Grounders upset? It was an interesting concept to explore, but the execution wasn't great. 

• Love 3

Re: Finn's Guilt

Excellent discussion, team!  I would have preferred more focus on the potential trial.  The issue should never have been whether or not Finn was guilty, but how they would handle the fallout of his actions.  They're in a new world; the Exodus Charter doesn't apply.  Sentencing someone to death, no matter his crime, might not be the society they want now.  Because I agree - there's no way to justify the deaths of eighteen civilians.  Finn was guilty, no matter how much guilt the other characters carried.  A trial could have been interesting, (hopefully) with or without the Grounders.  I'd have much rather watched the characters debate the world they're building, the inherent differences in their society and the Grounders', then try and rationalize Finn's crimes.

ETA: 

Actually, it kinda reminds me of Rob Thomas of Veronica Mars fame and his obsession with Duncan Kane, who was also the main heroine's love interest whom people hated. RT was always pretty defensive about the character, and who knows, maybe wouldn't even have written him off if the actor didn't quit (thank god he did).

I've made this comparison too and now the parallels are impossible to ignore.  Every awful thing Duncan did was shoved under the rug in favor of his "great" love with Veronica, and the writers seemed really proud of themselves and the entire audience was totally confused.  We've now seen the same thing happen with Finn.  I can only hope that in the aftermath of his death, Clarke's pain is focused on having to kill one of her people rather than losing the boy she "loved".

In terms of Bellarke, I do like them romantically, but they're not necessary for my enjoyment of the show in general, nor do they make sense as a couple now.  With the show moving at lightning speed, there's hardly room for grieving, let alone dating.  I also don't think listening to fans is such a bad thing.  If a huge part of the audience is seeing something, it's worth investigating.  Plans change.  Jack was supposed to die in the pilot for "Lost" and he became the main character, and much as I despised him all the way through, it's impossible to imagine the show without him.   Putting Bellamy/Clarke on the path to romance isn't a bad thing, so long as it doesn't affect the overall trajectory of the story.

Edited by Lila82
  • Love 5

I've been interested in the fact since the Grounders were introduced that they are a matriarchal society. Really fascinating compared with the Mt. Weather people. The supposed "savages" are the ones who decided women were better leaders.

Ah, Cage. Every time I see him be evil, I think "Who hurt you, AJ?" (Empire Records reference, for those of you born after 1990.) And I was right in my initial assessment when Rekha Sharma first popped up on our screens: frackin' cylon. I think her evil will continue unabated for a while.

Sad that in the mid-season finale, we didn't even get a glimpse of what's going on with the Mt. Weather folks. And from a completely shallow perspective, it's kind of a bummer that the pretty one had to die, even though I would have spent a lot of time eye rolling had they managed to make him live.

• Love 2

The matriarchal society has been really badly put together and I'm still waiting for explanation on why they chose women to be their leaders. It really doesnt fit in a hunter/warrior society. It feels more like the writers think women being leaders equals strong woman writing. The characterization is lacking.

Also they need to learn how to balance more than one storyline in an episode.

• Love 2

Even in those flashback's Thomas's acting was bad. And I just knew eventually this show would make Finn's crime a noble deed and Raven's fault. Way to make the oxygen thing her fault because Finn can't ever be held responsible for anything. Such bs! It also contradicts a scene from last season where Raven warned him about taking more spacewalks. I'm tired of them constantly pushing Clarke and Finn as noble selfless  heroes without fault. And then Flarke angst, ugh! Everything I hated about Season 1 was in this episode.  The only good thing was that they had Clarke kill Finn. I was seriously scared they'd sacrifice Raven for him.

Agreed, Lincoln was the only voice of reason. I am so sick of them trying to justify what Finn did. There is no justification for killing 18 people because you were looking for your girlfriend. Seriously, who is buying into this. I'm with everyone who said send him. He deserved it, and like Lincoln said, you have to take responsibility and own up to the good and bad that you've done. sometimes, saying sorry and hangdog pout does not cut it. Could not believe all the people trying to justifying saving Finn, when that potentially meant sacrificing everyone. The leader gave them a great deal, thankfully Finn finally took it.

The matriarchal society has been really badly put together and I'm still waiting for explanation on why they chose women to be their leaders. It really doesnt fit in a hunter/warrior society. It feels more like the writers think women being leaders equals strong woman writing. The characterization is lacking.

Also they need to learn how to balance more than one storyline in an episode.

Historically, nomadic or hunter gatherer societies are actually more likely to be matriarchal, or at least egalitarian, than "civilized" agrarian societies.  This is because in these societies women are relied on to actually do work at all levels of the society.  It's not until you start to have widespread agriculture and larger cities that chauvinism and the patriarchy really became dominant.  Compare the largely egalitarian Mongol civilization with the more the more patriarchal values of the (Mongol) Yuan dynasty that stemmed from intensely misogynistic Confucian teachings.

Also, WWCGD?  Stab a motherfucker to death, that's what.  That was hard (and awesome).

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 6

Historically hunter gatherer societies were not truly matriarchal. You'll have a hard time finding evidence that they were. Women did not do all levels of work in most of those societies they had their assigned roles many of which required them being close to the home.

• Love 1

One of the things that annoys me with a show like, say, Supernatural, is its reliance on The Whammy when exploring dark sides of heroic characters. So it ends up not really being the hero's fault, even if they do wring their hands over it, and they're not (textually) irrevocably ruined. So when Finn killed those unarmed villagers--kids and elders alike--I was impressed. I thought there was no way to glaze that over! But up to the end, most of the main characters are still acting like he maybe slapped some people around in a hissy. In the end, when he surrenders himself, it's not because he realizes the horror of his actions, but because he doesn't want people (Clarke) to die should the Grounders come for him.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 1

I think I would have been more sad about the tragic slaying of Finn if a) Finn had not been totally annoying the whole entire time, b) I was in any way invested in his romance with Clarke, which also didn't seem that interesting to me, or c) what he did wasn't so senselessly violent and horrible. They took a character who no one liked, and had him randomly do something awful for no good reason, and then had him get killed for his crime, and I guess it was a little bit sad, but... yeah.

I actually think the was the least dark way to kill the character off, and I found it kind of disappointing after how hard core this series was the first season. What would have been darker -- I can't believe I'm arguing for this, but this is what The 100 has done to me -- what would have been darker is if they had handed him over to the Grounders. Or if the Grounders had actually tortured him to death. But Clarke mercy killing him Buffy-style after he turns himself in because it's the right thing to do? That's kind of lame.

Again, I might have cared more if he wasn't the worst character or if his relationship with Clarke actually meant something to me.

The retcon where he went to jail for Raven kind of made sense to me -- and I liked the twist at the end where it turned out that they didn't need to go on a space walk because she was allowed in the program after all -- but it was unnecessary and an akward way of trying to make us think he was a good guy just in time for him to get killed. If they wanted us to feel something, they should have done more work to make us understand why he needed to murder a bunch of innocent people (or they should have had him do something OTHER than murder a bunch of innocent people).

As an aside, I also didn't understand why Raven wouldn't put her helmet back on when the hatch started to decompress. No matter what the ultimate outcome was, wouldn't that be the first thing you would do if the room was losing air?

I like how Clarke just completely ignores what the adults decide and does what she wants regardless of the consequences for everyone else.  After what Kane and Abby just said, they just let Clarke stroll out the unguarded side gate that non of the Guardsman should have been watching. 

For me, the most awkward part of the show is still the mash-up of the kids' story and the adult story. In the first season, I thought it worked well to have them separate, but now that everyone's together, you get weird moments like this. I laughed at how Kane was just like, "No, no. Let's let your teenage daughter walk toward certain death. We'll see how it plays out."

• Love 1

If we ever get an explanation for why the Grounders are lead by women I expect it will be along the same lines as the Argents over in Teen Wolf "wars and violence are typically started by men, we place the final decisions - the hard ones - with the women. Our sons are trained to be soldiers. Our daughters to be leaders"  About as well thought as using a paper bag as an umbrella but maybe it's a tradition that grew out of  trying to survive nuclear winter.

And we've only met one Grounder tribe others could work differently. 

I can't believe the writers are trying to pull that crap with Finn and Bellarke. I ship Clarke and Bellamy and I don't like Finn but one has nothing to do with the other. In the early days it was just that his character type does nothing for me but then he was revealed to be Raven's boyfriend which put him firmly in douche territory. 

I was on the side of the brewing lynch mob Finn should have been handed over to the Grounders and not just because it's a low price to pay for peace but because he gunned down 18 unarmed civilians!

The main characters should have been divided on what to do with him. Abby's still so guilt stricken about selling out her husband that she's siding with Clarke because she doesn't want to take someone else away from her and whether they care about what Finn did or not this is where they start laying the foundations of the type of society they're going to be on the ground. 

It's a plot that had potential but it was squandered in an attempt to give Finn a halo before killing him off.

The matriarchal society has been really badly put together and I'm still waiting for explanation on why they chose women to be their leaders. It really doesnt fit in a hunter/warrior society.

We don't actually know that the Grounders are any more matriarchal than MW is patriarchal, in fact I would think they aren't, just going by Lincoln as he doesn't treat the male/female characters any differently. What we've seen is that their tribe's commander is a young girl but she could just be the most capable person for the job. And beneath the commander, Indra, Anya and Casper held about the same level of command. Since Indra is Anya's replacement, those ratios aren't very skewed in women's favour. 

Edited by driedfruit
  • Love 1

I do not think it is unrealistic for grounders to be lead by women. They are not just one small tribe, they seems to be tribal confederation controling rather large territory. To be able to do that, their society must be very good organized. And once there is a large  organized society under authoritative leadership, a leader can enforce any sort of arbitrary rules she/he wish. Than next generation would accept it as normal. Female leadership can have certain advantiges for male warriors, a male leader would take a few best looking females for himself. Lexa probably does not do that, though i would not be suprised if she at some point go after Clarke, the way she is talking to her.....and looking at her......and she let her to get away with lot of stuff......we were promised some LGBT character right?

• Love 2

Ding dong the witch is dead! Bye Finn. 

Clarke continues to be a brilliant role model for teens with her mix of fierceness and compassion. I wish there'd been a show on TV that had these sorts of strong women on it when I was a kid. 

I could have done with a less prolonged farewell to Finn and more of Mount Weather, but you can't have everything I guess

• Love 2