Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Too Pretty To Be Nuns (5) / Revelations (6)

I was wrong about Eseni, & I thought Stacey would go ahead & enter a convent, but other than that, it was how I expected :-) I was surprised by families who seem to be pushing daughters into becoming nuns I didn't realize that was a thing. 

• Love 1

As much as I enjoyed this show I'm glad its over - I could not take another episode of Eseni and DarnellDarnellDarnell.

Stacy's family must have some serious money.

Claire seems to have at least learned something - she knew enough to stay away from that confrontation in the field.  And I have to say I really liked her family.

It was interesting to see Francesca get in Claire's face after basically telling Claire to GFH when she questioned Francesca's commitment to the process.

• Love 1

Ugh, had to press the pause button and vent before I can continue.  I just cannot stand Francesca and Eseni.

Francesca:  "I don't fester".    No you don't fester, Francesca.  You have full blown melt downs daily.  Good Lord this child is juvenile.  She doesn't believe in chastity because her dream celebrity may not accept it?  This chick has her crotch on display but continually draws attention to Claire's "flirting" in the bar. Francesca, do you not realize Claire is mic'd and we hear their conversation?  I think her true problem was Claire receiving male interest, while Francesca was not.  I have no idea where her journey ends, but I hopes it's not a convent.  I've seen her type before.  She will lie when it conveniences her, cut corners when she feels the rules are irrelevant, yet act as the self-appointed hall monitor who reports back others' short comings.  I don't know where this girl will end up, but her options are very limited since she must keep her phone in hand, and mother on speed dial.  Her drama is unbearable to me.  She actually said that they pulled her into the middle of a forest and crucified her.  The Jesus-complex is strong with this one.

Eseni:  True soul-mate to basket case Francesca.  These two are like the troublemakers that teachers try to keep separate.  They bring out the worst in each other and egg the other on.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this little diva has been making demands on producers daily - we already learned of at least one incidence.  When confronted in a situation she can't manipulate, Eseni's ready for a throw down.  She threatens violence as she storms off, then piously presses her tangerine claws to her chest and praises her own "patience".  She's the stereotype of every nun I grew up watching on TV.  Make this sister mad and she's breaking out the splintered ruler.  I loved how she slyly implies heavily to the camera that she can't go without sex.  And what was with her body language before storming off?  Her skirt was pulled up and her leg was hiked up on a chair as if she was airing out her crotch.

These two are special snow flakes and I've seen enough of their journey.  I was impressed that Claire kept her nose out of the whole situation.  She's earning brownie points from me (for now).

• Love 4

I could tell within the first few minutes of the episode that Claire had found her place.  I could see it in her face, she was transformed.  The bit of hard piousness was softened - it was quite beautiful.  And I was no fan of Claire's prior to this episode.  

The biggest surprise of the season was Christie.  She went from craz-i-e, to just right for the life she was looking for (and still a bit craz-i-e).   I did think Stacey would end up at least trying to go for the next step, if not at one of the 3 convents she had discerned on teevee, then in another, but she has left the door open.  Do they not have convents in New York City?   And of course, Eseni and Francesca's decisions not to continue the process were not surprising, but I thought it was very sweet that Eseni was moved to begin studying to become a pediatric nurse.  I did not see that coming.  I thought she'd be embarking on an acting career of some kind.  

RedHeadZombie - you've nailed those two!  I do want to inform Francesca that there are people on the earth who are asexual, or who might be interested in a life that does not include the traditional kind of relationship pairing, but Francesca is such a child that I don't know if that information would compute yet.

All in all, though, The Sisterhood was a refreshing show with relatively low drama and a positive message.  I started out a somewhat cynical viewer (believing the show to be more along the (fake) lines of Breaking Amish), but ended up thinking that the process was legitimate.  

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Love 5

ETA:  Oh, and Eseni was a model apparently.  It was interesting how all her followup shots with her family and Darnell were so carefully staged so she would look her very best. It was like she was doing a photo shoot.  Both she and Darnell can go away now forever.  

I'm a nurse, and I honestly think this is just something else Eseni has glamorized.  The way she curled up her lip and was obviously disgusted about the dirty trailer home is very telling.  She does not belong in a field where you frequently encounter pee, poop, blood, saliva, mucous, and vomit.  It smells in hospitals, and there's no getting around it.  She reminds me of a nurse I once worked with.  She wore only fashionable uniform dresses and skirts (where she found these, I have no idea).  Her skirts were so tight that you could easily see her thong imbedded in her butt crack, and she would wear button down skirts that would gape open in the front when she sat down.  Her nails were acrylic and at least two inches long, and I always feared she would perforate a child's rectum while inserting a suppository.

• Love 3

I had been willing to give Francesca a chance, but after this episode I'm over her. I don't think that Stacy and Christie did a good job approaching her and Esini, but the way they blew up was ridiculous. They really had no idea why it's not cool to lie to the nuns?! And I really didn't get their shock at the fact that Stacy was a virgin.

I found their twitters last night and Francesca absolutely did this to further her acting career (she's had an imdb page for a while so this wasn't her first rodeo.) I don't doubt that this experience may have deepened her faith, but while last week I said I could see her becoming a nun at some point, I don't anymore.

I'm really surprised Stacy didn't specifically say she was going to visit other orders - I'm glad she didn't go to Chicago because that was obviously the wrong choice for the wrong reasons, but while I thought she might become a nun now I'm not so sure. I do think the came here for the "right reasons" (tm The Bachelor) but it's possible the discernment process did what it was supposed to for her - made her realize that wasn't right for her. That said if she did find another order and become a nun I wouldn't be surprised. I could see her being happy either way. And she's still my favorite, with Christie a close second.

• Love 2

I'm glad that this show was six episodes.  It showed enough about the discernment process and didn't draw out the drama.

I missed the first part of E5, and OnDemand didn't show the last few minutes of E4, which showed Darnell in Chicago.

Eseni:

I was so tired of the Eseni-Darnell drama.  They're so damn codependent; they need to be with each other 24/7 and to leave everybody alone. 

I didn't tolerate her use of the discernment as her form of therapy.  She needs formal therapy to deal with her assault and her relationship with her father.  When she was at the different convents, it wasn't about service.  It was about her.  She came off as selfish. 

Same with Darnell.  He couldn't live six weeks without her.  From what I saw from E4, he came to Chicago to have a confrontation with her--become a nun or him.  In E6, he thanked God that she didn't become a nun.  It screamed selfishness.  Granted, Eseni wasn't going to become a nun.  (I don't believe she had any intention of being one.)  However, he was glad that she didn't become a num because of his own selfish codependency. 

I can't believe that Eseni is going to school to be a pediatric nurse.  I hope that she washes out.  She could never be without her acrylic claws; she wouldn't do well with taking orders; and she wouldn't do well having to do gross stuff that medical personal have to do.  (There's no way that she would keep her nails short and natural, which is cleaner than having long nails.)

Francesca:

I have no idea why she bothered with the discernment because she had a melt down about everything.  Christie, Stacey, and Claire were open and excited about the process.  She thought everything about the discernment process was punishment instead of a learning experience.

I had to eyeroll her parents too.  Neither of them was open to their specul snowflake being a nun.  Was her mom the one who prayed that Francesca didn't become a nun?  Ugh.  There's nothing wrong with a traditional life of marriage and children, but these parents and Francesca did view a nun's life as punishment or something awful. 

Loved, loved, loved all the nuns.  They said that it was a difficult life, but happiness did radiate from them.  Take note, Francesca and your codependent parents.

• Love 4
I'm glad that this show was six episodes.  It showed enough about the discernment process and didn't draw out the drama.

Rationally, I agree with you. Selfishly, though, I still want more. Granted, the condition would have to be that I get to fast forward through everything having to do with Darnell or cell phone-related drama :) When some of them were talking about how much they'd grown at the end, I found myself wishing we had gotten to see more of that gradual evolution over the course of a few more episodes. It felt particularly hollow when Francesca gushed about how much she'd evolved---I, um, must have missed that part :) 

Random thoughts:

Claire seemed so much more real and sincere in the Kentucky convent and around her family. I almost liked her in these last two episodes...ALMOST :) Conversely....

I'd been a big Francesca defender, if only because I thought she seemed so genuine, but I couldn't stand her in last night's episodes. And now some say she was hoping to further her acting career? Ugh. That's almost as irritating as...

...Eseni, taking advantage of this opportunity as a bizarre form of free therapy and probably in hopes of gaining TV exposure. On a shallow and petty note, I really thought she looked a million times better in the convent than at the end of the final episode, with low maintenance hair, less makeup and a far less tacky outfit :) And, ugh, those nails. Don't even get me started. 

I'm surprised by how much I came to like Christie. And even more surprised by how sincerely I believe that she really is meant to be a nun despite her goofy comments about the handsomeness of certain priests :) 

I ADORE Stacy. I still cringe a little when she refers to "surfer dude Jesus", but I totally agree with those who think she comes off as such a genuinely kind, thoughtful, layered and interesting person. I'll join those who are relieved she didn't drift back to Chicago just to hang out with Christie. 

I really want a followup "where are they now?" special. And more time with those incredibly amazing nuns! I would totally be on board with a whole series about the nuns. Even to a relative heathen like me, they're just so awesome and inspiring. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 3

I know Francesca is young, but boy what a hypocrite. She doesn't like it when two more serious members of her group question *her* about "representing" the church in a way that might put them in a bad light or, even worst, lying to the sisters on their own turf about something that's important to them. But, she has no problem putting her nose in Claire's personal business, which in no way effects Francesca, or is any of her business. What a silly, little girl. If I were Claire, I wouldn't even have bothered.

• Love 5

I had been willing to give Francesca a chance, but after this episode I'm over her. I don't think that Stacy and Christie did a good job approaching her and Esini, but the way they blew up was ridiculous. They really had no idea why it's not cool to lie to the nuns?! And I really didn't get their shock at the fact that Stacy was a virgin.

I found their twitters last night and Francesca absolutely did this to further her acting career (she's had an imdb page for a while so this wasn't her first rodeo.) I don't doubt that this experience may have deepened her faith, but while last week I said I could see her becoming a nun at some point, I don't anymore.

I'm really surprised Stacy didn't specifically say she was going to visit other orders - I'm glad she didn't go to Chicago because that was obviously the wrong choice for the wrong reasons, but while I thought she might become a nun now I'm not so sure. I do think the came here for the "right reasons" (tm The Bachelor) but it's possible the discernment process did what it was supposed to for her - made her realize that wasn't right for her. That said if she did find another order and become a nun I wouldn't be surprised. I could see her being happy either way. And she's still my favorite, with Christie a close second.

I can't believe Francesca had an IMDB page all this time. That doesn't stop her from wanting to be a nun, but I don't think it's the same as when Delores Hart did it. I did laugh when they showed her walking down the street in a super short skirt while her voiceover talked about how she was going to mass every day.

I'm not sure Stacy really is meant to be a nun. She talked about how her parents always wanted one of their kids to go into that life (why? I don't get it) & they hoped it would be her, so I wonder how much of her interest is something that she wants, & how much is because she grew up hearing about her parents wanting her to be a nun.

• Love 2

I found their twitters last night and Francesca absolutely did this to further her acting career (she's had an imdb page for a while so this wasn't her first rodeo.)

This may explain the hysterical melt down regarding washing off her makeup and revealing her acne.

I can't believe Francesca had an IMDB page all this time. That doesn't stop her from wanting to be a nun, but I don't think it's the same as when Delores Hart did it. I did laugh when they showed her walking down the street in a super short skirt while her voiceover talked about how she was going to mass every day.

I laughed too, but it was because her voiceover said something about a new way of life, followed by a quick waist down shot of a mini skirt with high heels, as if she's now a street walker.  I feel like it was a little tongue-in cheek by the show because it was so deliberate, and made me think they had no love for that one.

Claire was not my favorite, but I was impressed that she was so moved by what I would consider the least glamorous and least appealing convent.  It brought to mind a book called "Adopted Jane" which tells the story of an orphan girl deciding between two families.  One had a large warm family and horses, and the other a quiet woman and a lonely house.  She chose the second because she felt the woman needed her more.

• Love 3

I loved the nuns, especially Sister Beth Ann. Agree with the rest of you about Francesca (apparently a corn field and a forest are interchangeable to her) and Eseni (I can see her running around in one of those sexy nurse costumes with her stripper nails and heels!). I ended up liking Christie a lot!

• Love 1

I was surprised by families who seem to be pushing daughters into becoming nuns I didn't realize that was a thing. 

Hasn't it been a "thing" for about 1000 years?

There's been a huge drop in it over the past 100 years or so, so it's actually LESS of a thing.  But still a thing.

• Love 4
Eseni:

I was so tired of the Eseni-Darnell drama.  They're so damn codependent; they need to be with each other 24/7 and to leave everybody alone.

I didn't tolerate her use of the discernment as her form of therapy.  She needs formal therapy to deal with her assault and her relationship with her father.  When she was at the different convents, it wasn't about service.  It was about her.  She came off as selfish.

Same with Darnell.  He couldn't live six weeks without her.  From what I saw from E4, he came to Chicago to have a confrontation with her--become a nun or him.  In E6, he thanked God that she didn't become a nun.  It screamed selfishness.  Granted, Eseni wasn't going to become a nun.  (I don't believe she had any intention of being one.)  However, he was glad that she didn't become a num because of his own selfish codependency.

I agree with this; both of them are super codependent; they can't live an hour without each other?  How will Eseni become a nurse then?  Darnell won't want her to study.

She threatens violence as she storms off, then piously presses her tangerine claws to her chest and praises her own "patience".

I have issues with this comment as it relates to Eseni.  I have read studies of how in schools, black and brown girls are punished more severely than white girls for the same offences.  Eseni only verbalized what she felt but the important thing is she walked away.  She's a coward, someone who screams, "I'm going to kick your ass" as they're walking away.  

Francesca?  Very, very immature.  I thought she was a teenager at first.

Edited by Neurochick

I loved the nuns, especially Sister Beth Ann. Agree with the rest of you about Francesca (apparently a corn field and a forest are interchangeable to her)

My son and I howled when she referenced the "corn field"! "wow, look at those tall, waving stalks of CORN!" "The CORN is as high as an elephant's eye!" "CORN as far as the eye can see!" That child is an idiot. And really? the lie about the phone was so clumsy. The nuns were absolute dears about it but they knew what was up.

Stacy was my favorite throughout. She seems thoughtful and intelligent. I hope she can find another path for herself.

• Love 3

I really wish someone would have acknowledged why the hell Francesca drug that chair out into the forest, and then Eseni was sitting in it for one second then had her leg propped up on it with what looked like an ice pack.

I'm not too shocked by the outcome. I was pretty sure when I saw previews with the nun saying that they don't accept everyone... That was dramatic effect and that Claire would be welcomed.

Overall I must say I enjoyed this show. I kinda just watched it on accident the first time, but there was something different about it from most reality shows. Although I kinda am curious about a follow up I hope they kinda just leave it how it is, because I don't know how it would work with this cast since the decision is made, and I think any susequent cast would be filled with more Francesca/Eseni types that are there more for television exposure.

The nuns gave Eseni a lot more credit than I did. Everything about her storyline seemed fake to me. I never noticed her trying to discern anything except how she could get around the restrictions at the convents. She was constantly posing, even during the "confrontation in a cornfield" scene. I wanted to scream when she told Christie "That was what I wanted to hear from you" when Christie apologized. Ugh! With that said, she is gorgeous, so if TV exposure was what she was after, she probably met her goal.

I liked Francesca more at the beginning than at the end. She seemed pretty real at first, but to get cockier as the weeks went on. It's like she and Eseni egged each other on, especially in the last two episodes. Like two naughty schoolgirls in a Catholic school. But Francesca is only 21, so I guess she gets some leeway for being young.

Claire grew on me in these last episodes. She's still kind of sanctimonious and overly outwardly pious, but the way she acted at St. William's Convent was more natural. The way she handled Francesca's "advice" impressed me. I hope she found her true place with the Sisters of St. Joseph.

I wrote Christie off as a drama queen looking for attention, but I've had to change my mind. Ever since Episode 2 when she tried to get Claire to see how she was coming across, she has seemed more intelligent and sincere to me. Hope it works out for her. (I also liked her family.)

Stacy has been my favorite since the beginning, despite "Jesus is the best boyfriend ever" comments. I too wonder if family expectations played in to her starting the discerning process. Very glad she didn't go to Chicago just because she envied the girls who had made a decision to go on. If she didn't feel it when she was there, it probably wasn't going to happen.

I would love to see what's going on with all of them one year down the line.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 2

I have issues with this comment as it relates to Eseni.  I have read studies of how in schools, black and brown girls are punished more severely than white girls for the same offences.  Eseni only verbalized what she felt but the important thing is she walked away.  She's a coward, someone who screams, "I'm going to kick your ass" as they're walking away.  

I'm sure you don't mean to imply there is racism in my comment.  How my comment - which described the incident exactly as it happened - equates to institutionalized racism in public schools, escapes me.  It also offends me.

• Love 6
I'm sure you don't mean to imply there is racism in my comment.  How my comment - which described the incident exactly as it happened - equates to institutionalized racism in public schools, escapes me.

For what it's worth, I don't get that either and didn't see your comment as remotely racist. Eseni was the only one of the girls who went from "ugh, this is annoying and these people kind of suck right now..." to "I swear to god, I'm gonna punch somebody in the face." It's not remotely a race thing. It's a wow-this-woman-is-so-bizarrely-far-away-from-becoming-a-nun-for-so-very-many-reasons thing. 

I can't believe I'm even admitting this, but I want a DVD of this show...or at least a heavily edited version that deletes out most of Eseni and Francesca and focuses more on the nuns :) I totally agree with those who felt that Claire improved over the last two episodes while Francesca took a sharp turn for the worse, and the imdb page doesn't really elevate my opinion of her. 

I wish we'd known from the beginning that Stacy's parents dreamed of one of their children becoming a nun. It's a type of pressure that honestly hadn't occurred to me, and I'd have liked to know more about how it influenced Stacy's decisions. I totally want more of Stacy in general---as others have said, there's this really genuine, kind, contemplative quality to her, not to mention a certain underlying sadness. 

• Love 5

I'm sure you don't mean to imply there is racism in my comment.  How my comment - which described the incident exactly as it happened - equates to institutionalized racism in public schools, escapes me.  It also offends me.

Though you might not have implied racism, it is a sad truth that when a black or brown girl says something silly like what Eseni said, it's seen as more serious than it really is.

I just didn't see Eseni as "threatening violence."  To me she sounded like a coward.  She's talking about striking someone, as she's walking away, which to me meant that she said it for the cameras.  I don't see her as violent at all, codependent yes, but not violent.  

• Love 1

I don't know whether that is a verifiable "truth" or not, but I do know that I would've had the exact same reaction to that comment irrespective of the race and ethnicity of the person uttering it. Personally, I did think it was a weird overreaction and one of many, many, many indicators that she was not cut out to be a nun.

• Love 4

Francesca IS very young at 21, both objectively and subjectively (some 21 year olds are mature for their years; Francesca isn't one of them). She never seemed to fit into the discernment process for me. My understanding, based on what I've heard from sisters and nuns over a Catholic lifetime and many years in Catholic schools, is that modern religious orders don't want 21 year olds for all the reasons Francesca exemplified. Modern orders want mature women with at least enough life experience to know what they'll be giving up and to do it joyfully. As I understand it, if Francesca had inexplicably decided to enter, most orders would send her away to grow up before they'd consider taking her.

• Love 1

I really didn't understand their shock and awe about Stacey being a Virgin. And Francescas obsession with Claire never kissing a boy... The sister was saying that as a suggestion, not that it was a hard fast rule for everyone. And the fact that Francesca did not seem willing to give that up is yet another on the long list of signs that she shouldn't be a nun.

• Love 3

I didn't take it seriously when Eseni said she wanted to punch somebody. Both she and Francesca behaved like immature teenagers who get mad when they get caught doing something wrong, even when they KNOW that they're wrong.  I was glad to see that Eseni apologized to Christie, but childish Francesca didn't return Christie's apology.  She said something like "you said everything I needed to hear", without acknowledging her own wrongdoing during that outdoor confrontation.

During Francesca's conversation with Claire, it sounded like Fran thought that sister had advised them all to get plenty of sexual experience before going to the convent, and I was like "What?!!!" 

I guess I had nun life all wrong.  I thought it was kind of like the Army where you join up, and then they transfer you here and there.  I had no idea that you pick where you want to be. 

• Love 1

I really didn't understand their shock and awe about Stacey being a Virgin. And Francescas obsession with Claire never kissing a boy... The sister was saying that as a suggestion, not that it was a hard fast rule for everyone. And the fact that Francesca did not seem willing to give that up is yet another on the long list of signs that she shouldn't be a nun.

I didn't get to watch the first half of E5, so I hope that I'm not too far off with this episode.  I think that Francesca's shock about Claire shows that Francesca was never serious about becoming a nun. 

I don't think that Claire needs to seek a romantic relationship to cross it off her bucket list.  Or to prove that a religious life is right for her.  Meaning, it doesn't seem like Clare needs to experience a romantic relationship to solidify her choice to become a nun.

Francesca viewed the discernment as some punishment.  I guess that's why she couldn't comprehend why Claire hasn't experienced a romantic relationship.  Specifically, a romantic relationship that would rock Claire's world, so Claire wouldn't have to go down the path of punishment.  If Claire experience something else, she wouldn't have to choose to become a nun.  That's my gut reaction. 

• Love 2

I have to say, I understood why Christie and Stacey felt the need to apologize to Eseni and Francesca, but it really rubbed me the wrong way. I felt that Eseni and Francesca had the bigger obligation to apologize for the way they acted which was totally disrespectful to the nuns, their fellow discerners, and the whole process. But, I've got to believe that the show was giving us a cross section of what convents are faced with when women come to them to test the waters. I'm guessing they sometimes get these very types of young people who are really not serious about it or are misguided.

• Love 5

Everything about Francesca pulling Claire aside to ridicule her for her lack of romantic experience---er, I mean, to ask her a few questions----felt ridiculously Mean Girl-y to me, like maybe something she and Eseni (and/or the producers?!) had planned to do just to giggle over Claire's earnest response. 

• Love 2

"You can't become a devoutly religious person devoting her entire life to the church unless you've had wild monkey sex first!"

Yeah, I think that doesn't happen, Francesca. I give Claire props for not falling on the ground and rolling around in laughter. 

• Love 3

I’m not sure what I think.  Superficially, I think he’s got major red flags possessiveness issues, she's young enough to see them as proof of his "love," and she needs to break away ASAP.  However, looking deeper, I think it’s also completely possible that they hatched the whole thing as some reality show Romeo and Juliet love story.  Their love is so big even God can't keep them apart!  With the full cooperation of the producers, because Darnell knew precisely where to go and had a microphone on.  And it worked.  Yay them. 

Don’t really blame Francesca’s mother for praying for her not to become a nun.  Do you know how embarrassing it would be to explain to all your friends and family that she flunked nun school?  Or have to endure a building full of nuns watching you as you pull up to collect your 45 year old nun daughter when she’s throwing a tantrum?   

In large Catholic families, “giving” a son or daughter to the Church was always a sign that you were a particularly devout and praiseworthy family.  However, through the ages it was also a pretty safe career path for a woman when women didn’t HAVE career paths.  It provided her with a lifetime of security in a world where getting married and having kids often meant dying in childbirth or being widowed young and having to raise children alone, or even just ending up in a bad marriage.  Despite the vow of poverty, a nun was going to have a roof over her head and enough to eat for the rest of her life, and that’s no small thing in most of history, especially in Catholic countries which were often quite poor.

• Love 6

I guess I had nun life all wrong. I thought it was kind of like the Army where you join up, and then they transfer you here and there. I had no idea that you pick where you want to be.

It's actually a little bit of both. You get to choose your order (kind of the same way that you get to choose your branch of the military, except there are way more orders). Once you've picked your order, though, they may send you to other convents (or locations in general) within that order. So if you went with, for example, the Carmelite Sisters you may stay in New York, or they may send you to another convent in the US or Ireland - it just depends on the needs of the order. And you may move around a few times, especially in your formation and as you study.

Edited by alt0233
  • Love 4

I have to say, I understood why Christie and Stacey felt the need to apologize to Eseni and Francesca, but it really rubbed me the wrong way. I felt that Eseni and Francesca had the bigger obligation to apologize for the way they acted which was totally disrespectful to the nuns, their fellow discerners, and the whole process. But, I've got to believe that the show was giving us a cross section of what convents are faced with when women come to them to test the waters. I'm guessing they sometimes get these very types of young people who are really not serious about it or are misguided.

I agree, I do think the way Stacey and Christie went about the conversation was wrong, but I think the way Eseni and Francesca overreacted warranted and apology too, so it bothered me when Francesca said "you said what I needed to hear" someone said I'm sorry too, but I don't remember if it was Eseni or Francesca.

Edited by leighroda

I often find myself envious of the devoutly religious when they say that God told them this or that regarding important life decisions. I would love for some outside entity to firmly tell me THE exact right thing to do with my life. I never really understood that. Do they really hear God speaking to them in prayer or something? Or are they giving God credit for their own thoughts?

• Love 4

I really liked this show. I remain loving Stacy and all the adult nuns (so sorry, so not Catholic, so apologies if I use the wrong terms here). In the context of the show, Christie was all right but I would not want to spend time with her in real life. She was really overboard and it made me uncomfortable, I am not going to lie. Claire was Claire. Definitely would not want to spend time with her, but she seemed at peace and happy in Kentucky, so good for her.

Francesca, well honestly until I came here and read about IMDB, I thought she just had a LOT of growing up to do and was on the wrong show. As a nonreligious woman, I get her being taken aback about Claire never having kissed a boy and making this decision. She was absolutely in the wrong to go to her about it, but I don't know, being a nun is such a huge decision. I realize there are asexual people out there (not that Claire is one!) and I am not suggesting Claire will miss out on anything, but I get being confused by it because I am. Granted, unlike Francesca, I am not considering being a nun. I did find it weird that she was so shocked by Stacy being a virgin. I thought in general devout Catholics were against premarital sex and those considering a higher calling would abstain.

I agree with Eseni and Francesca being bad influences on each other. With the whole nun outfit thing, I compared it to this. My SO is military, and the uniform represents quite a bit, so he has to be on good behavior while wearing it. Same with their outfits; I don't get how they don't see that they are representing a church that they profess to believe in while wearing it. Being a nun is a huge commitment, and they did not seem to take it seriously. Eseni really seemed to be using this as an excuse to be on tv and run away.

I wish they had shown a real relationship where the woman was seriously experiencing a calling. It has to be so confusing for the SO. Yes, six weeks is not a superlong time to be apart, but I am sorry, it has to feel so bizarre to know that your girlfriend is considering breaking up with you to be a bride of Christ. It would be interesting to see a boyfriend who is faithful and respectful of the church grapple with knowing that they might have their heart broken over this. Maybe it is because I am not Catholic, but I don't think I would do too well in that position.

• Love 5

I enjoyed this show so much! I hope there is a second season with new ladies; I'd also like some follow-up at some point.

Francesca: I had to forward through some of her "whining on the phone to Mom" scenes. UGH! She was so immature. She has a long way to go in life, and while I am also very close with my mother and speak to her daily, I can wipe my own ass without calling to tell her that OMG the toilet paper is too scratchy get me outta here YO!

Stacy: She was my favorite. Mature, level-headed, not judgy-preachy, well-spoken, sincere, and from a seemingly lovely family. I hope she finds her place, and I think she will be a great wife and mother, if that's what she chooses. (I also think she would have been a great Sister, if that had been meant to be for her. )

Eseni: Just...no. What was the point? The only thing she was discerning was what color polish to put on her talons and which pair of shoes she should pair with her clingier-than-Darnell romper. I understand being angry about being called-out, but wanting to punch someone? Wow, overreact much? Wait, yes, there were many overreactions in the group. Good for her for walking away (I guess), but that wasn't patience. Patience would look much different.

No surprise that she chose Darnell; she never intended otherwise, despite that overwrought drama. How stupid was all that?! They knew the drill beforehand, so I found it all a bit ridiculous. (Not just with her and Darnell, but with all the drama about being away, traveling, etc.) But back to Eseni specifically-- I hope she finds her place and her peace/healing. I understand her issues, but there is help and hope, and Darnell better get with the program and support her, and not only when it is convenient. It was not cool to show up like that (side eye to you, producers). I hope their relationship grows and matures. I hope they are good to each other.

The histrionics -- it did seem to finally slow down a bit, thank goodness. I understand being stressed and a bit anxious; it's only a tiny little trial period, but they were still dealing with real people and real situations. Yet and still, the overblown dramatics over the smallest stuff almost had me deleting the show off the DVR. I'm glad I stuck it out and saw them get through that...not completely, but at least they got better.

The clothes--I didn't get the drama over the clothes and makeup. What crybabies! You're in a place where none of that matters, so why not embrace it? No worries about looking nice, just focusing on inner beauty....

The hiked up skirts and heels at the restaurant-- tacky and disrespectful. What were they trying to accomplish, what were they trying to attract by doing that? Grow up, put your narcissism away for a while, respect the process, respect the sisters, and you can dress however you like when it's over. No, it wasn't the worst thing ever, but it showed a lot of immaturity and need for attention.

The phone/lying/cornfield -with -no-corn confrontation: It could have been handled better, but she and Francesca, in all their bitching about how they're adults and they won't be told what to do yadda yadda, failed to realize that they acted like immature children when they lied. The adult response would be a truthful , "I understand the rules, but I am having an issue and need to make a call, so I will give you my phone after I call my boyfriend/mother; thanks for understanding."

Christ-ie: Like many others, my first impression was, WTF!? Crazy much? At first, I really thought she had issues, but she grew on me over time, and I appreciated her candor and excitement. I was genuinely moved when both she and Claire told the sisters their intentions. I would love an update on her.

Claire: Right off the bat, Claire had this look that I often see on zealous Christians of a certain type. It's this wide-eyed, shiny-eyed, big-smiled, maniacal look that one usually associates with someone about to snap. I took a screenshot of one of the exact moments where she had said look. I couldn't stand her judgy-holier-than-thou-ness, but I also think it softened when she so obviously found her place. I think she will mature out of that over time as she studies and goes through the process of sisterhood. She does seem to have found her place, so good for her.

That bathing suit though! Wow, lol. I get chastity and modesty, but that was so ridiculous. The thing is, when someone goes way overboard in trying to prove how religious/pious/modest/whatever-est they are, for me it can often have the opposite effect. I think, "what is she hiding underneath that tunic, and just how big is her, errrrmmm, secret? Is it really necessary to call attention to how awesome you are in your love for your god, or doesn't it speak for itself if it's genuine? Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying Claire is lying, I do think that there may be some underneath-the-surface issues that perhaps she isn't even aware of. It's like she overcompensates. (Side-eye to the Duggar brood)

More than once, I was struck by the immaturity of some of the girls. Believe me, I love to have fun, love fashion and makeup, love men, love shoes and love my technology, BUT, never would I freak out so much at having to give any of it up--not now at 42 and not in my 20's. It's so over the top and ridiculous. (I don't recall any of my friends being that immature at that age, either. I wouldn't have been friends with them if they were.) It was so off-putting that they made such a huge deal out of something so temporary. Between Eseni & her Darnell drama and Francesca and her phone drama, I was ready to see those two off my screen.

That being said, I loved the show. I could do without an Eseni next time, or better yet, give me a Eseni, but give me one with a genuine interest in discerning and a true conflict between faith and marriage/ love of God and love of man/Sisterhood and motherhood.

I'm an atheist, but I have so much respect for for the sisters; I loved their talking heads, , loved watching them, listening to them, loved everything about them. It's a huge sacrifice what they do, but I can see its also a huge blessing with so many rewards for themselves and the communities they serve.

Also, I'd love Facebook and other links if anyone has them to share. If anyone wants to message me with them or put them in the appropriate forum, that would be great!

• Love 4

I cosign each and every word, scorpiosunshine! Francesca's drama was so over the top, I was actually worried for her--she seemed to be having a full blown anxiety attack. She kept saying things like "I was trapped" "We were stuck inside this room" and so on. I wondered about the authenticity of her "calling" when she couldn't seem to draw any comfort from praying the rosary in the car, but only focused on her discomfort, which quickly ramped up to a full blown case of the vapors  in no time. 

Agreed on all the sisters. they were lovely. I'm an atheist too, but I'm glad to live in a world where people can devote themselves to serving their fellow human beings and find fulfillment and happiness in their spiritual lives. 

• Love 4

I do think it is possible Francesca had some sort of anxiety disorder. Or is just a codependent immature woman. Either way, I bought her emotions.

Scorpiosunshine, I would love to see that screenshot. I feel bad making fun of her faith, because it is obviously very deep, but she was just so over the top. I thought it was very telling that the nuns in NY and Chicago called her out a bit.

• Love 2

I often find myself envious of the devoutly religious when they say that God told them this or that regarding important life decisions. I would love for some outside entity to firmly tell me THE exact right thing to do with my life. I never really understood that. Do they really hear God speaking to them in prayer or something? Or are they giving God credit for their own thoughts?

THIS! So much this. Especially in the case of people who generally seem levelheaded. Like, I get Claire saying that, but Stacy seems like someone I'd be friends with in real life, so hearing her saying she's called by God to be a wife and mother is weird.

Edited by alt0233
  • Love 1

I don't know that she is claiming to have gotten Direct Word, but just that feeling of "this is the RIGHT decision" that comes to all of us sometimes.  If she's been devoting a lot of time and effort to praying/meditating/ruminating about how her life should go, and the prospect of becoming a nun remains unsettling, but she feels more calm when contemplating marrying, I think she'd interpret that settled feeling as God's voice.

I think most of us have had that feeling of tension dissolving when we've made a decision to lean one way over another, and felt "okay, now I'm SURE."   I'm not religious, so I call it my "gut" but if I were religious I might think it was God or guardian angels advising, or whatever.

• Love 3

I do think it is possible Francesca had some sort of anxiety disorder. Or is just a codependent immature woman. Either way, I bought her emotions.

Scorpiosunshine, I would love to see that screenshot. I feel bad making fun of her faith, because it is obviously very deep, but she was just so over the top. I thought it was very telling that the nuns in NY and Chicago called her out a bit.

Sure!

Here is the screenshot (it is actually 2 phone pics of pretty much the same shot , one just has part of the stained-glass in the image and the other is a little closer up)

http://imgur.com/tA5QaRj

http://imgur.com/NfW6I7E

• Love 2