Type keyword(s) to search

Casting: News & Wishlist

Athena
  • Start Topic

So, I was watching a random BBC Documentary about the workhouse last night and one of the celeb descendants of a workhouse inmate was Scots born Brian Cox  who played Agamemnon in Troy, among many other roles.  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004051/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I started picturing him as a good candidate for Simon, Lord Lovat, but I can see by his IMDb he is really booked up for the next year, including a turn as Churchill.  On the other hand, he does a lot of stuff across both movies and TV all the time, so maybe they can get him to carve out a few weeks for the role? 

I think that one's new. I just saw it on Twitter. It's not what I pictured from reading the book, but I like the choice a lot. A lot, a lot.

I should say I like the John Grey one too. Seems they continue to rock the casting.

• Love 2

I should say I like the John Grey one too.

But why do you suppose he is listed in IMDb as "William Grey"?  Simple error?  Is something sneaky going on?  Is Lord John's middle name "William"?  Enquiring minds want to know.

I sure hope the actor looks more like a 16-year-old now than his photos show. 

But why do you suppose he is listed in IMDb as "William Grey"?  Simple error?  Is something sneaky going on?  Is Lord John's middle name "William"?  Enquiring minds want to know.

I sure hope the actor looks more like a 16-year-old now than his photos show. 

When we first meet Lord John in Dragonfly in Amber he says his name is William Grey. I do believe it is his middle name, though.

It's in Voyager he's using John. I got the impression he was hoping people wouldn't immediately know who he was. Wasn't his father a suspected Jacobite? Plus his imbroglio with Percy and his being caught and tricked by Jamie. It seems like he eventually develops his own reputation and respect, but I thought he didn't want to be associated with some missteps of his youth.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

he started out as William Grey and turned into John William Grey  

when too many Williams showed up (because Jamie knocked up Geneva ). Later he gained a few more middle names until he ended as Lord John William Bertram Armstrong Grey.

When we meet John/William in book 2 , his brother is pissed at their dead father because of his  suspected Jacobite loyalties and therefore refuses to use the title Duke of Pardloe and is going by his secondary title Lord Melton . John/William however uses the title for a second son of a duke .

Edited by lianau
  • Love 1

Since hardly any of the actors on the show actually look their book counterparts--Cait especially doesn't look much like the image I had of Claire, but she captures the spirit of the character quite nicely, IMO-- so, I'm not at all worried about height. Plus, that can be hidden in filming sometimes. It would actually be easier for filming if he was closer in height to Sam. 

In general, I wasn't overly impressed with Poldark, myself. Oh, it was fine, just didn't leap out and grab me. I chalked it up to the writing and directing and such rather than the actors themselves. I've seen many of those actors in other things where they did seem to shine more. I just thought the actor had a quality about him that reminded me of Lord John a bit.

• Love 1

I agree about the height thing, DDD.  I know much was made in the books about how tall Jamie is, yet I actually like how Cait is very tall too, visually it seemed like they were nicely matched.  For some reason I found it kind of distracting when Sam was in scenes with more petite woman, like Jenny and Laoghair, he kind of almost had to stoop down in their scenes.   

Edited by Summer
  • Love 1

Yeah, the blocking can get very odd in order to get a tall guy in frame with another actor. A lot of time the tall guy ends of sitting--which can be stagnant--or placed further back in the frame than the other actor--which can be very awkward sometimes--or, as you said, they stoop and is rather awkward as well.

Sam hasn't been shown to be sooo much taller than everyone else, as Jamie is described as in the books, so I don't think it would matter if Lord John was taller than described in the books too. 

However, there's a lot of actors out there and I have faith they'll find the right one for the job.

I believe though that Sam Heughan is as tall as book!Jamie was supposed to be but while this height was extraordinary in XVIII century, it's hardly so now

I'm pretty sure that Book!Jamie is 6'4" (the same as Diana's husband) and Sam is 6'2.5".  Sam's IMDb profile used to say he was 6'3" but someone changed it during the past year, which is . . . interesting.

WatchrTina-Great minds think alike, I was JUST about to post that Richard Rankin would be perfect for Roger!  I googled him and found a recent article where he talks about how he would love to be a part of Outlander.   And his accent is just as strong as when he's on Crimson Field.  I LOVE his storyline with Kitty but sadly the show did not get renewed in the UK so the 6 episodes are all we are gonna get  :(

I have a suggestion for Roger.  Is anyone watching "The Crimson Field" on BBC America?  (If not, you should be.)  Anyway, there is a handsome young surgeon on the show who is a Scot.  He plays one-half of what I am sure will be the shows One True Pairing (though they are still at the Unresolved Sexual Tension and Keeping Secrets stage of the courtship.)  His name is Richard Rankin.  I humbly suggest him for Roger.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm591777024/nm3044664?ref_=nmmd_md_nxt

WatchrTina and Summer both win the Roger round :)

• Love 6

WatchrTina and Summer both win the Roger round :)

::Takes bow, high fives WatchrTina::  SO excited that Richard was cast, he is truly perfect for Roger!!  He's so handsome and that accent....swoon....

For those of you not familiar with his work, search on Youtube for The Crimson Field and also The Syndicate, which is the show that really sealed the Roger deal for me.

Doing happy dance!!!!!

Edited by Summer
  • Love 3

Finally!  I was beginning to think that instead of asking "When will Roger & Brianna be cast?" that maybe the question should be rephrased to "WILL Roger & Brianna be cast?"

Love the choice!

• Love 1

::Takes bow, high fives WatchrTina::  SO excited that Richard was cast, he is truly perfect for Roger!!  He's so handsome and that accent....swoon....

For those of you not familiar with his work, search on Youtube for The Crimson Field and also The Syndicate, which is the show that really sealed the Roger deal for me.

Doing happy dance!!!!!

Dancing right along side you.  I LOVE Richard Rankin.  The Crimson Field gave me my first look and, like you, The Syndicate sealed the deal.  He's a fine, fine actor and more than a little alright in the looks department.  And, yes, that accent...be still my foolish heart.  

• Love 1

::Takes bow, high fives WatchrTina::  SO excited that Richard was cast, he is truly perfect for Roger!!  He's so handsome and that accent....swoon....

::High fives Summer right back!::

This is SO exciting.

Oooooooh! He is 3 years younger than his father in law! ;-))

Weel, if Sam can play 20-something, so can Richard.  

Silly me -- I was about to write "and besides the books never made clear how old Roger is."  Except, yes they did -- we meet wee Roger in book 1.  We met him in the show too.  So, Richard will just have to get some tips from Sam on how to play 10 years younger.  If they cast a very young Brianna (someone between 18 and 22) it will help.

• Love 2

I think Roger it's stated that Roger is 25 in Dragonfly in Amber/Voyager and 27 in Drums of Autumn. And, Briana is 19/21 respectively. I'd have to go read to be sure, though. 

But, I agree, they should be able to pull it off. Subtle make up an lighting can do so much for these things. 

He was at 12.something earlier today so I think he's gained around two thousand since the news hit.  I've been following him for a while now and I think you will all be entertained.  He does tweet in fits and starts but he's funny and he acknowledges his fans/followers tweets often and expresses gratitude  I think he's another good guy.

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 1

I think Roger it's stated that Roger is 25 in Dragonfly in Amber/Voyager and 27 in Drums of Autumn. And, Briana is 19/21 respectively. I'd have to go read to be sure, though. 

But, I agree, they should be able to pull it off. Subtle make up an lighting can do so much for these things. 

Wouldn't Roger be 28 for Dragonfly in Amber? He was 5 in 1945 for Outlander, Claire returned from the stones after three years, then came back to Inverness in 1968.

Hmmm, he looks nothing like how I pictured the character, but acting ability is more important.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

Wouldn't Roger be 28 for Dragonfly in Amber? He was 5 in 1945 for Outlander, Claire returned from the stones after three years, then came back to Inverness in 1968.

Hmmm, he looks nothing like how I pictured the character, but acting ability is more important.

I think Outlander is 1946 (when Claire first goes through the stones)...but yeah, you're right that would make him older. Like I said, I'd have to re-read to be sure. I had it in my head he was 27 when he followed Brianna through the stones and worked backward. I have no idea where I had that impression, though. Who knows with me?

I, too, had a very different picture of Roger in my head, but none of the cast actually match the picture in my head--except maybe Jenny. I'm cool with that, I'd rather they get the right actor rather than the right look anyway.

• Love 1

Kudos to WatchrTina and Summer. Well done.

I like to imagine that one of the screen tests was Jamie and Roger fighting in and out of the cabin, once Roger comes home to Brianna and baby Jemmy. We're a few seasons away from it, but I look forward to Sam and Richard having testosterone poisoning. 

This also has me excited to anticipate how they introduce us to the 60s. Beginning of the season? End? Bookended?

Bring on "Spring 2016"! May you be closer to March than May.

• Love 2

In the TV series The Syndicate, they did a flashback to where Rik's character is 24 years old and he pulled it off easily.  He had no beard and they brushed his hair forward to create a youthful look.  He and his co-star actually joked on Twitter about all the "fringe" (British for 'bangs') he wore.  

So, now I'm following @RRankingFans (aka "The Rank and File") on Twitter.  As you can imagine, yesterday was a big day for them.  They tweeted a link to Richard on YouTube taking the "BAFTA Challenge" -- answering a bunch of random questions in 60 seconds.  So . . . Richard is the real deal.  That's a real Scottish accent there (Glaswegian, right? -- He makes a joke about that being the easiest one for him to do.)  I wonder if he's going to have to tone it down a bit for the American audience.  Sam alters his own accent to something more appropriate to a Highlander.  Roger's accent should sound like Inverness with a bit of Oxford influence, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd2G3lfPREo&feature=youtu.be

I find his accent the strongest on the words: hard work ("haad wuk").

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

I had no idea there was such an age gap between Bree and Roger, but it makes sense given he was already a professor by the time Bree meets him. I think in my head it was just a handwavey he-skipped-several-grades sort of thing. 

I wonder if Bree is already cast or if she's another Claire--proving really, really hard to find. 

So, now I'm following @RRankingFans (aka "The Rank and File") on Twitter.  As you can imagine, yesterday was a big day for them.  They tweeted a link to Richard on YouTube taking the "BAFTA Challenge" -- answering a bunch of random questions in 60 seconds.  So . . . Richard is the real deal.  That's a real Scottish accent there (Glaswegian, right? -- He makes a joke about that being the easiest one for him to do.)  I wonder if he's going to have to tone it down a bit for the American audience.  Sam alters his own accent to something more appropriate to a Highlander.  Roger's accent should sound like Inverness with a bit of Oxford influence, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd2G3lfPREo&feature=youtu.be

I find his accent the strongest on the words: hard work ("haad wuk").

That's an interesting point about toning down his accent. In the books, Roger adapts a more English accent when he's in Oxford, but once back in the company of Scots it gets stronger. But, his accent should be different than Jamie's just because the accent in general would've shifted over the years, anyway. But, I like his accent the way it is, too.

That's a cute video of Richard Rankin, though. It's the first I've seen of him in action. Should be interesting to see what he does with Roger.

I had no idea there was such an age gap between Bree and Roger, but it makes sense given he was already a professor by the time Bree meets him. I think in my head it was just a handwavey he-skipped-several-grades sort of thing. 

I wonder if Bree is already cast or if she's another Claire--proving really, really hard to find. 

I'd think Brianna would be a very hard feet to find. She's physically well-described in the books, but not well-defined as a character in her own right. Plus, it's probably hard to find a young actress who looks enough like Sam so everyone will just know she's Jamie's daughter on-sight; who also has a mix of physical agility and experienced enough to pull off the emotional beats. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Oooooooh! He is 3 years younger than his father in law! ;-))

Lets ignore the actor's ages :D

Roger is about 8 years older than Brianna . Bree was born in November 1948 (Claire being around 2 months pregnant in April 1746) . Jamie was born on May 1st 1721 which translates to 1923. Roger was 5 when Claire first met him in 1945 OR 1946 depending on the copy of the first book  , so he was born either later than May 1939 (not yet 6 in 1945) , in 1940 or before May 1941 (already turned 5 in 1946) 

Also, can't wait for Rik to deliver this line  

He was meant to die on Culloden Field....but, he didn't

gives me chills every time

In my imagination, I see Roger saying that as the camera zooms in

on a fallen Jamie. Suddenly, Jamie's eyes open

and there's a beat like the beginning of "The Lion King" when the words show up after "Circle of Life". And then the scene goes dark with "Spring 2017" instead of "The Lion King".

I have a very detailed imagination.

ETA: Spoiler tags, just in case.

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 3

I love your imagination Dust Bunny.  An ending like that would be even more angst inducing than the ending where we see Jamie in the window about to rescue Claire from the hands of BJR only to have to wait months to see how said rescue went.  I had read the books multiple times so I knew pretty much how it would go but it still had me on the edge of my seat.