Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Chapter Nine

Without Rafael's support, I still don't think she has a case.

Oh no, of course not. That's why I was saying "if" she hadn't basically stolen the sperm for the insemination she'd have a case. But she did. So no case (even without the other false identity, etc, stuff). 

That's what I've been thinking, especially after she lied so quickly and easily to get her girlfriend committed and clear herself.

I in the Rose as Sin Rostro camp as well. She was a master at spinning the story to get Luisa committed and has kept Rafael's father, who is no dope, in the dark as well.

• Love 1

I'm kind of not that excited for where this show is going. So Michael's pretty much out of the picture. I don't really care about what's going on in anyone else's life. There's no urgency. Jane dropped her case against Luisa. I don't care about Rafael and Jane. Nothing's really going on with Xiomara. Nothing that exciting is happening with the nuns or the school. I don't care about Petra, her mom, Lachlan or anything going on in that storyline. I don't necessarily need to like the characters or even be rooting for them (though it's always nice) but I need to care about what happens to them. It's not even like Ugly Betty or Devious Maids. There was always something to hook you with those shows. They haven't made the Sin Rostro thing dangerous enough or important enough in the character's lives so really the only thing to get me back for the next episode is throwing Alba down the stairs.

I do like Jane and am glad she's too self-righteous to be a perfect character, but someone really needs to call her out on it.

Agreed. That would go a long way towards making her more palatable.

Since everyone is guessing that Magda is Sin Rostro, I'm going to guess that she's not. I wasn't surprised that she can walk, though.

I think the flashback DID disprove the theory of Magda being Sin Rostro.

Agreed. It made sense when it was a little obvious (she was the most evil character we knew) but it doesn't seem very likely now. I'm fine with it being a character we haven't met yet as long as they don't rush the reveal/arrest when they do show the character. On the other hand, if it's someone we do know like Rogelio or Rafael's dad it better make some damn sense.

but for now, my money is on either Nadine, who seems very shady (why not call their superiors when they were stalking the pier?)

I could see her working for Sin Rostro but not being Sin Rostro. At the most maybe there's a family connection. 

I admit this does have my curiosity piqued! Where does the tunnel go? How much lead time and insider connections would you need to have a tunnel built under a hotel bathtub? Who anticipated this need and executed the construction? Who is in the plastic surgery recovery suites?

Good point. Was the room one of the plastic surgery recovery suites. To further tie everything together it could be interesting if Sin Rostro is a popular telenovela actor operating under everyone's noses. But not Rogelio.

Anybody else think Anthony will resurface just when Xo and Rogelio get together?

Does the timeline work for Michael's brother to be Sin Rostro? Stealing someone's wallet is a random way of finding something out about them, plus the key being there was awfully convenient. Almost like he put the money in the safe to spark Michael's interest, then took it away because it would implicate himself somehow? Either that or it was someone in Rafael's family -- putting the money in Rafael's safe so as not to implicate his/herself.

It would just be interesting if Sin Rostro was right under Michael's nose the whole time. Also the brother (...Billy?) being a hotel employee may allow him access to the rooms (including setting up/facilitating the tunnel escape?)

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1

We had programmed this show on our DVR based on some early review and then completely forgot about it.  We only bothered checking it out when it started winning all those awards.  I´m sure glad we did because it's absolutely hilarious.  

The only thing that might tie Magda and Petra to SR is that guy who arrived at the hotel in a SR cargo. He was from their country. Maybe it's Petra's ex and the real SR tipped him off?

Magda and Petra are Czech, while the guy who guy who escaped through the tunnel under the tub is supposedly a Serb.  He also looked nothing like the clip of the ex throwing the acid.  But all this doesn't mean he couldn't be connected to them in some way.  I wouldn't be surprised by anything that happens on this show.

As for who is SR, my guess is that it's Rafael's father.  Magda has been pretty much discarded and there aren't a lot of drug lords out there who are relatively young American women (like say Nadine or Rose).  But then again, anything can happen on this show.

Petra is passing herself off as being Taylor Swift's age? WTF? I feel generous guessing her age as 36.

I'm kinda surprised Jane bitched about sending her kids to private school. You would think she'd be all over sending them to Catholic school. In any event, I think it's realistic there's tension there, because she does have a Devout Catholic childhood driving her.

Edited by methodwriter85

As much as Petra and Michael deserved being taken down a couple of notches, I couldn't help but feel sorry for them, but moreso Petra. First off, I think it's important that we got Petra's backstory just as Jane and Rafael found out her secret. I felt so bad when the two gave her smug looks. She totally deserves it, but she also looked so crushed, even when she tried not to.

Also, the fact that Rafael's the common denominator when people scheme (well, I guess Petra too, but with Petra and now Jane?) is kind of intriguing for me. Jane and Rafael are certainly still cute in their own ways, despite the fact I do think their relationship is moving too fast, even when Jane says they're taking it slow. I'm totally expecting them both to say "I love you" by episode 13. I loved the bus scene so much. 

Michael is obviously wrong on Rafael being involved with Sin Rostro, but the fact that Jane wouldn't even listen to him when he tried to explain and dismissed him, like some jealous ex? I'm so sad by Jane's attitude toward him right now. She's treating him like he's nothing to her and it's so disappointing. It may have started out as an awkward break up, but now Jane's acting like Michael happened to be just some boyfriend. I think Michael's throwing himself in his case, and into Nadine, to distract himself from the pain of the breakup, and having Jane with Rafael doesn't help matters.

Yeah, Madge being able to walk doesn't surprise me. I guess, reading other people's opinions on here, SR isn't Madge? Now it's a bit too obvious. I'd be interested if SR is Rose. She's kind of a mystery, that's for sure. And maybe she got Luisa committed because she knows the police are starting to close in and she wants to protect her from what's going to happen? Or not.

Poor Ivan. All he wanted to do was find out how to escape.

Ha, it's a rule of soap operas that anyone in a wheelchair can secretly walk!

I'm glad that even though Jane and Rafael are back on, she wants to keep getting to know each other instead of relying solely upon their physical attraction. As he said, they are doing everything backwards so I like that they are continuing to talk instead of just giving in to their hormones.

Much like last week's throwaway joke about Jane have a cheap lawyer, this week's Petra lawsuit plot was resolved by episode's end, but, for the sake of nitpicking:  getting that lawsuit thrown out of court would take about ten minutes.  Rule 1 of contract law is that a contract only binds parties to it, so it has zero applicability to Jane, who isn't a signatory.

I overlook things on tv shows but yeah, this was one of those super obvious things. Jane was not a surrogate and Jane never signed the surrogacy paperwork that Petra and Rafael drew up before she got pregnant so there was no way that Petra's threat would have resulted in anything besides being laughed out of court.

Just as I'm willing to forgive it for magically assigning Jane and Xo licenses to drive when they didn't own a car before nor displayed an inclination to buy one.  Eh.

Most people I went through driver's ed through their high schools (it was offered as a special elective at my high school) and then got their licenses regardless of whether they actually had a car. Once you have one, it's pretty easy to renew. I'm sure it varies depending on how urban/rural your city is, but in large cities like San Francisco and New York, it's really common to have a license even if you don't have a car (mostly because it's a huge pain in the ass to have a car in cities like that). If you live in a city with decent public transportation and it's super expensive to park your car in a garage every month, it's way cheaper not to bother with the expense of owning a car, especially now that you can get a zipcar on the rare occasion that you actually need to drive yourself somewhere.

• Love 1