Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E26: Live Final Performances

• Start Topic

I thought this season ended up being better, so far, than I expected.  Partly because the top 5 really outperformed themselves as a whole versus a mixed bag for the rest of the live shows.

Chris has been the most improved by far and so has gotten my attention when I would never have expected that a few weeks ago.  He believes in himself now and have really liked his performances, in general, since the top 5.  He also seemed more relevant than the other contestants.

Matt is overall somewhat boring to me.  I really wish Luke Wade hadn't choked during much of the season.  There are some times Matt really made me look up with the start of his performances but I never sustained interest over the entire song and haven't bought one of his songs because I think his iTunes versions sound weaker than the live shows.  And don't hold up well to other artists e.g. on Let it Rain.

Damien has a great voice but the outdated songs just can't compete for me.

And I have never really liked Craig.  He probably is a great guy but I don't like his vibe he seems entitled and as if he is phoning it in, probably due to some protection mechanism from the stuff he's gone through but even so that is the vibe I get from him.

This is the first time I have liked songs or parts of songs from all four contestants.  And although I only downloaded songs from one, compared to other years when it was 4 or 5, the live finals was still interesting enough.

But I don't have anyone I am dying to have win.

Except by default Craig, because I can't imagine anything better than having Adam's head explode after having 3 finalists and still losing out to Blake. 

THAT would be great reality tv.

• Love 3

I felt like I needed a shower after the Chris/Adam duet, and not in a good way. Smarmy, gross, icky, and douchey were all words that came to mind. Add in the Robin Thicke factor and I had to change the channel until it was over. Ew.

• Love 3

An impressive showing on itunes with all originals charting in the top 10.  Looks like Damien may finish last as he is the laggard in every category (originals, covers, duets).

Itunes as of voting close:

(http://headlineplanet.com/home/2014/12/16/voices-matt-mcandrew-hits-1-itunes-craig-wayne-boyd-chris-jamison-follow/)

1) Matt McAndrew – Wasted Love

2) Craig Wayne Boyd – My Baby’s Got a Smile On Her Face

3) Chris Jamison – Velvet

5) Chris Jamison & Adam Levine – Lost Without U

8) Damien – Soldier

10) Matt McAndrew & Adam Levine – Lost Stars

11) Chris Jamison – Cry Me a River
13) Craig Wayne Boyd – In Pictures
14) Matt McAndrew – Somewhere Over the Rainbow
16) Craig Wayne Boyd & Blake Shelton – Boots On
25) Damien & Adam Levine – Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me
41) Damien – A Song for You

Re: Just how hot is/isn't Chris --

I just think that Adam has a huge giant man crush on him so he assumes that everybody else does, too.

Because I've never seen him go this gaga over a contestant before,

I find it very amusing to see him squee so much over the guy.

My 2 cents for what it's worth -- Chris has all the a lot of the attributes that I usually do find very sexy, such as the hair for example, I like that look.  But he really doesn't do it for me for some reason.  I think someone nailed it for me a few posts back by saying that he looks like Channing Tatum.  Because that guy is just a big, dense Cementhead (hee) IMO and does nothing for me (did you see his hacked Sony email?  DUMB much?)  so perhaps Chris' resemblance to him is killing the supposed sexy for me. 

Speaking of looks and because I never got my 2 cents in in time for this one I am squeezing it in here -- I thought Taylor John Thomas or whatever 3 Name's name was totally looked like Albert from Little House what with the hat and suspenders and all. 

• Love 2

I felt like I needed a shower after the Chris/Adam duet, and not in a good way. Smarmy, gross, icky, and douchey were all words that came to mind. Add in the Robin Thicke factor and I had to change the channel until it was over. Ew.

I honestly didn't get it. A lot of people seem to love their duet, and it annoyed me. I think it was to high pitched or something.

• Love 2

Speaking of looks and because I never got my 2 cents in in time for this one I am squeezing it in here -- I thought Taylor John Thomas or whatever 3 Name's name was totally looked like Albert from Little House what with the hat and suspenders and all. 

Oh my gosh! You are so right.

• Love 1

I forgot to say earlier that I agree with Adam in that Chris really does have one of the best falsetto voices I have ever heard.  I am not a big falsetto fan in general but his really is great -- very natural sounding and not too girly.  Much better than Adam's.   

• Love 1

I thought the Chris/Adam duet was fantastic.  Adam is not a great vocalist but there's something about his voice that just cuts through. I thought Chris did a good job keeping up with Adam. Although the song itself is not a great duet song and they performed it the only way they could...not looking at each other.  Haha.  

The coach gushing this season was off the walls.  Adam/Chris, Gwen/Ryan, Pharrell/Sugar.  Too funny.  

• Love 4

Any time I hear Manfred Man's Blinded By the Light, I sing "Wrapped up like a DOUCHE." 

Ha! That's all I could hear for the longest time back in the day, when douche referred to feminine "freshness" issues. But I digress...

I didn't care for Matt's falsetto in his duet with Adam, but thought maybe he sung it that way to match Adam in that part of the song?

Matt gets a good share of squees from the audience--I wonder if Chris had been knocked out earlier or if he and Matt didn't share a coach, would Matt have gotten more of a cute-guy edit for the younger vote? Singing Beach Boys and Judy Garland is fine for my older ears, and likely wouldn't siphon votes from alleged heartthrob Chris. I think I need to be in a different thread with this musing...

Edited by KR Vermont

The coach gushing this season was off the walls. 

Also way too many "there's no one in the music business who sounds like you" and "you're the best [fill in the blank] I've ever heard" type of comments that make me roll my eyes because it renders the compliment almost meaningless when it's so over-the-top absolute.

Blake, though, has no issue admitting when he isn't familiar with songs on the show, so to his ears some of it is quite new and different.

Edited by KR Vermont

To me he looks like Channing Tatum, which maybe the appeal.

That might explain it.  I don't find JT or Tatum cute at all, either.  I don't get any of JT's appeal.  I think he's unattractive and sounds like a mediocre backup singer.  

Also way too many "there's no one in the music business who sounds like you" and "you're the best [fill in the blank] I've ever heard" type of comments that make me roll my eyes because it renders the compliment almost meaningless when it's so over-the-top absolute.

Blake, though, has no issue admitting when he isn't familiar with songs on the show, so to his ears some of it is quite new and different.

Sorry, wrong word.  When I said "gushing", I think I actually meant "crushing".  The coaches seemed genuinely infatuated with some of their contestants this season. It was kind of weird (and amusing). 

Though I definitely agree with you that the coaches' comments are over the top.  I've gotten used to it to some extent.  But I also do think Blake relied on these hyperboles more than ever this season. Maybe he was less invested? For Adam, I think he genuinely believes in the things he says in the moment.  "Favorites" means things he really likes right now. But he's just as quick to move onto the next thing and is usually all over the place.  Probably related to his ADD. For Pharrell, he has got to think of new things to say next season.  It can't be all platitudes.  It also can't be all "this ____(city/state) is proud of you" to every contestant.

• Love 1

Good show all around, as someone said earlier this was one of the best finals they've had. Well paced and edited, nicely chosen documentary segments, pithy coach commentary, and a bunch of solid performances. I didn't exactly time it, but it also seemed the performances were generously longer than normal tonight, which I *love*.

Round 1:

Damien- who, shockingly, went first tonight you guys- surprised me with his Donnie Hathaway; I enjoyed it a lot, easily my favorite of his performances this season.

CWB did a decent job with Blake's "back pocket" song; it's catchy enough for one of those forgettable country pop songs, but it kind of dragged on really monotonously.

Chris was fantastic in his duet; I think he sang circles around his own coach! He really has unveiled a magnificent voice the last couple of weeks, marvelous control and consistency throughout an impressive range. Also, hearing him sing that Robin Thicke ballad, pardon my French but that dude must get SO much college pussy; tall, fit, very handsome, and he can sing?

I really, really liked the original Matt tune... but not how he sang it. I thought he oversang it, and that lack of dynamics beyond his usual "anthem" belting meant those verses were no different than the chorus. I was hearing in my head how Florence and the Machine would handle it- delicate one line, then a hurricane the next- and that was better. Really cool song, though, and considering how well his covers sell as it is, if the iTunes version is better performed he's probably going to chart with this one (these notes were from last night, and I ssee here he was in fact #1).

Round 2:

CWB and Blake doing some generic lame country tune. My big takeaway is again how polished Craig is, like a peer. We've all been saying that for a while now, but it's reinforced here how ready he is to be a star tomorrow, because he never looks... nervous? Also, huge props to Blake, who selflessly ceded the whole duet song to CWB; I think I heard Blake solo all of two lines of lyrics.

Damien and Adam was decent, I've always had a soft spot for classic Elton John. Again, Adam was out sung by his contestant, and he's actually a pretty good singer. It reminds me that as much as we snark on these contestants, they're actually vocally often better than most of the coaches (excepting of course Christina and maybe Usher), and most people we know. Usually the contestants fall short because they lack artistic sensibility or a defined musical personality, not because they lack singing ability.

This original song was a good one for Chris, it seems a perfect fit for his blossoming style like one he wished he'd written for himself. Given how Chris likes to work his hips, it was also a smart idea to put him into jeans that appear to have been spray painted on moments earlier! I didn't love this one; his falsetto was uncharacteristically reedy and thin, and while he was super cool with the dance moves and working the crowd, I didn't feel quite enough focus on the lyrics. But the snippet of the video sounded good, so I'll chalk it up to a very physical performance along with a heavy workload this week.

Matt and Adam blend well together when they sing. Their falsetto was weirdly... comical? It almost felt like a Flight of the Concords performance. Matt looked more Muppet-like in his mouth than normal.

Round 3:

CWB did decently but kind of hammy to me, but he at least seemed to be really be feeling it.

Damien's original song was pretty glurgy. He was also really struggling to hit the higher notes and practically screaming the chorus, which isn't usually an issue with him. Hey, nobody's perfect!

Chris does have an extraordinary falsetto, although at times he made what I can only call his "Popeye" face. He didn't bring sexy back with this one, but I have faith he will over the course of his career. JT didn't start out like that, he had years of experience that Chris has yet to get.

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is such a bizarre choice for this show. Matt does have an angelic voice, if it was Adam's goal to showcase that aspect.

Summary:

To me at least there were no show stopping moments, but no flubs either. Solid night for everyone, and pretty good song selection.

I honestly could come up with a plausible scenario for any of these final four to win it. But after tonight, I think Chris is the best poised. All good performances, plenty of sexy moves on stage, and great song fit for each of his three. In order of likelihood to win based on last might/last couple of weeks I'd say it runs Chris, Craig, Matt, Damien. I might swap Matt and Chris, but I think one will drain votes from the other and raise CWB's standing. Damien is honestly the only person who would surprise me by winning tonight.

• Love 1

Sorry, wrong word.  When I said "gushing", I think I actually meant "crushing".  The coaches seemed genuinely infatuated with some of their contestants this season. It was kind of weird (and amusing). 

Though I definitely agree with you that the coaches' comments are over the top.  I've gotten used to it to some extent.  But I also do think Blake relied on these hyperboles more than ever this season. Maybe he was less invested? For Adam, I think he genuinely believes in the things he says in the moment.  "Favorites" means things he really likes right now. But he's just as quick to move onto the next thing and is usually all over the place.  Probably related to his ADD. For Pharrell, he has got to think of new things to say next season.  It can't be all platitudes.  It also can't be all "this ____(city/state) is proud of you" to every contestant.

Watching this show and some others, Idol for example, it does make me appreciate the talent some people have to deliver original commentary in a short time span and not sound repetitive or bland or ridiculous.  I don't think that this is something very many people have and while I think the musicality (if that's the right word) of these 4 judges is clearly there the ability to convey something meaningful quickly and succinctly isn't so much in their wheelhouse as it were.  But I also think it doesn't so much matter what they say.  These judges aren't instructors at the Juilliard School.  I suppose their main task, at least during the actual shows, is to be pleasant and supportive and keep the show moving.  Presumably a little more technical advice and constructive instruction goes on behind the scenes.  

• Love 1

Matt gets a good share of squees from the audience--I wonder if Chris had been knocked out earlier or if he and Matt didn't share a coach, would Matt have gotten more of a cute-guy edit for the younger vote? Singing Beach Boys and Judy Garland is fine for my older ears, and likely wouldn't siphon votes from alleged heartthrob Chris. I think I need to be in a different thread with this musing...

You mean, when we can actually see his face? I'm too old for the whole frame-by-frame banner-sig-making crowd (10+ years ago during season 2 of Idol maybe, lmao)... but I can hardly see his face behind the giant glasses and mop hair. If they want to give him the cute-guy edit, they will have to hand him over the Gwen. :p

Can't like Adam simply for screeching "animals balls" at me through my radio. So there's that. And it very well could've been the wine but I really enjoyed last night. Liked Craig from the beginning, although loathe country music, Matt can get a little yelly but pretty talented, Damien is adorable but little too Michael Jackson for my taste and Chris was such a surprise in the past few weeks, never realized he had that in him. I know we're all snarky here and such, BUT what a treat to watch people so passionate and dedicated to their craft. As someone with zero talent whatsoever, I admire them all. Well.......except Adam, please stop assaulting my ears and don't hunt me down. You're killin' me Smalls.

Watching this show and some others, Idol for example, it does make me appreciate the talent some people have to deliver original commentary in a short time span and not sound repetitive or bland or ridiculous.  I don't think that this is something very many people have and while I think the musicality (if that's the right word) of these 4 judges is clearly there the ability to convey something meaningful quickly and succinctly isn't so much in their wheelhouse as it were.  But I also think it doesn't so much matter what they say.  These judges aren't instructors at the Juilliard School.  I suppose their main task, at least during the actual shows, is to be pleasant and supportive and keep the show moving.  Presumably a little more technical advice and constructive instruction goes on behind the scenes.  

I agree but I also think that given what they're paid, they could spend a few minutes thinking up some original comments, or hire someone to.  

I didn't catch the entire show -- can anyone tell me if they said who wrote the "original" songs?  I know that Blake claims to have written CWB's -- and I really think Miranda's the better songwriter in that family!

I couldn't tell you about the others but Matt said he wrote his, I believe.  

As Damien was singing A Song for You I turned to my husband and said, "Elliot Yamin did it so much better."

I thought Matt sounded weak on Somewhere Over the Rainbow and it was a poor choice for a show clsoing moment.

I threw all my votes to Craig..he has seemed the most polished over the course of the season, but if he doesn't win, I know he will still have Blake's support, Blake doesn't ditch his performers after the season is done, and for that I admire him.

I don't think Damien will have a chance of winning this. My hope is for CWB to pull out the win. But I think Chris or possibly Matt would have a future...of course, Adam could work with them anyway, like he did with Grimmie last season.

I didn't catch the entire show -- can anyone tell me if they said who wrote the "original" songs?  I know that Blake claims to have written CWB's -- and I really think Miranda's the better songwriter in that family!

I'm fairly certain that none of the coaches were involved in the songwriting.  Blake said he had Craig's song for a long time but never recorded it because it was too difficult to sing (really???).  Adam mentioned a couple of times how he listened to something like 100 songs before picking the ones for his contestants.  

I couldn't tell you about the others but Matt said he wrote his, I believe.  

Adam's comments after Matt's performance were confusing (something about the world being able to hear a "Matt song").  But in the pre-taped bit, it sounded like Adam found it, and it wasn't written by Matt.  

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/voice-7-final-take-polls.htm

From MJ's

Matt McAndrew’s self- “Wasted Love.”  Although coach Adam Levine LED the audience to believe that Matt wrote the song. He didn’t. The writers on the tune actually are, according to Yahoo’s Lyndsey Parker, Brandon Lowry (Lana Del Rey, Gym Class Heroes, Avicii, Lindsey Stirling); Canadian singer-songwriter Chantal Kreviazuk; former Sick Puppies frontman Shimon Moore; and Mike Fiorentino.

Chris Jamison <snip> original song, <snip> “Velvet,”  The song was penned by Canadian pop singer Alex Lacasse, Kellen Pomeranz, and Elof (Christina Grimmie). Damien’s song “Soldier,” written by Max Martin and Johan Carlsson, <snip> “My Baby’s Got a Smile on Her Face” that coach Blake Shelton tossed at Craig Wayne Boyd. The song, written for Blake years ago by  Mark Marchetti and Stephanie Jones.

• Love 1

As Damien was singing A Song for You I turned to my husband and said, "Elliot Yamin did it so much better."

I thought Matt sounded weak on Somewhere Over the Rainbow and it was a poor choice for a show clsoing moment.

I don't think anyone in any of these singing competitions can top Elliot's performance of A Song For You. That was, like Simon called it, a vocal masterclass. Wonder if Elliot could have won any of the Voice season.

With that arrangement of Over the Rainbow, maybe they are trying to re-create the "Blower's Daughter moment"? Don't get why they don't close with Wasted Love, especially with all that elaborate fiery stage set.

Okay, that's dirty pool. I totally thought that Matt wrote his own original song, based on Adam's comments. I think that misleads the audience and could influence votes. How many would think, "Wow. He wrote his OWN song! That was amazing!" And since he's a music teacher, it wouldn't be hard to imagine Matt having the ability to write a song. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2

Yeah, I think Matt made it sound like he wrote his, too.  He didn't come out and say it but didn't he say something like, "After all these covers, I'm excited for people to hear what my own music would sound like"?  Which I guess you can read either way.  

It would have been nice -- and a boost to songwriters everywhere -- for Carson to have told us who wrote the songs ON THE SHOW ITSELF.  Yeah, its "the voice" but you have to have something to sing besides la la la.  And they tell us every damn thing about the contestants except their shoe size, so there is time to throw a minute each to the four songwriting teams.  Shame, Voice!

• Love 2

It would have been nice -- and a boost to songwriters everywhere -- for Carson to have told us who wrote the songs ON THE SHOW ITSELF.  Yeah, its "the voice" but you have to have something to sing besides la la la.  And they tell us every damn thing about the contestants except their shoe size, so there is time to throw a minute each to the four songwriting teams.  Shame, Voice!

Seriously! It wouldn't have taken long to do that and is so important.

I'm glad Matt didn't win after all that implying that he wrote the song when he didn't. Maybe neither he nor Adam meant to mislead, but if he'd won--and that was a part of it--there'd always be questions.

Also a little miffed at Blake who, to me, gave every indication of having written CWBs song "years ago" but never recorded it. C'mon, guys! Songwriters! That's a talent every bit as big as singers' (some would say moreso)--and Blake and Adam write, too, so they know that as well as anyone. I thought several of these songs were really good, much better than the vast majority of original songs they give winners on Idol. (Kudos to Adam for going through a lot to find them) So...credit where credit's due--to the songwriters! Please!

To repeat from the post above:

Matt McAndrew’s self- “Wasted Love.”  Although coach Adam Levine LED the audience to believe that Matt wrote the song. He didn’t. The writers on the tune actually are, according to Yahoo’s Lyndsey Parker, Brandon Lowry (Lana Del Rey, Gym Class Heroes, Avicii, Lindsey Stirling); Canadian singer-songwriter Chantal Kreviazuk; former Sick Puppies frontman Shimon Moore; and Mike Fiorentino.

Chris Jamison <snip> original song, <snip> “Velvet,”  The song was penned by Canadian pop singer Alex Lacasse, Kellen Pomeranz, and Elof (Christina Grimmie). Damien’s song “Soldier,” written by Max Martin and Johan Carlsson, <snip> “My Baby’s Got a Smile on Her Face” that coach Blake Shelton tossed at Craig Wayne Boyd. The song, written for Blake years ago by  Mark Marchetti and Stephanie Jones.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure there wasn't intent to mislead about Matt's song. Adam is not always coherent.  

Songwriters are usually underappreciated. I rarely know anything about any song besides the performer.  

Maybe the songwriters should start doing what the 'producers' or 'DJs' are doing, and taking top billing?  That Bruno song is actually Whoever-Ronson featuring Bruno Mars.  I have no idea how that model works.  So David Guetta, Zed and others do what-- purchase a written song from a songwriter (or write one) and arrange it and then hire Usher or Bruno or someone to do the vocals, and it's technically their song?  Interesting model.  

Them doing "original" songs reminds me of the Idol coronation songs.  Maybe they figured part of their lack of after-show sales is not having an "original" hit, like Philip Philip's "Home" smash.  

Matt's my favorite but I did think Wasted Love was cheesy.  "Has anybody seen all my wasted love..."  I was kind of embarrassed for him.  I didn't get it.  

I agree... but I feel like it's cheesy in a current kind of way. I do not necessarily associate it with a reality show.

I thought all the originals did an okay to great job of not sounding like a reality tv show winning anthem.

Though I may fav original reality show anthem is probably Dirty Vegas. But I think I just miss Rockstar so much. I would love the Voice so much more if it involved the contestants fighting over song choices. 

• Love 1

Maybe the songwriters should start doing what the 'producers' or 'DJs' are doing, and taking top billing?  That Bruno song is actually Whoever-Ronson featuring Bruno Mars.  I have no idea how that model works.  So David Guetta, Zed and others do what-- purchase a written song from a songwriter (or write one) and arrange it and then hire Usher or Bruno or someone to do the vocals, and it's technically their song?  Interesting model.  

Them doing "original" songs reminds me of the Idol coronation songs.  Maybe they figured part of their lack of after-show sales is not having an "original" hit, like Philip Philip's "Home" smash.  

According to wiki Bruno Mars has a writing credit on Uptown Funk : It was written by  Mark Ronson , Jeff Bhasker,  Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrence,(Bruno's back up singer) Devon Gallaspy and Nicholaus Williams; with Ronson credited for producing it as well.   

Anybody catch that NONE of the judges were on camera during this song? And yet they are standing O's for everyone else regardless if they sang solo or with a contestant.  Pharell and Mars had some sort of disagreement during Mars' latest tour because Pharell was supposed to be at the Toronto gig this summer and a few days before? he was out citing creative differences... say wah?? he didn't show. Bummer for me, but the Mars show was more than awesome just the same.  Anyway, I'll take another side of Bruno Mars please. Old broken down country tunes can suck it. 

Edited by Andiethewestie

I thought the "Soldier" original song that Damien got was significantly worse than the other original songs.  Matt's "Wasted Love" got repetitive eventually, but at least there were some interesting in-between bits and the song had a slightly different take than the usual.  No such luck with Soldier.

The country song was pretty raunchy, I thought.  Other than that, the tune itself was formulaic..  

I liked Chris' "Velvet".  Might be because I'm ending the season a strong Chris supporter, but both the song and the performance seemed the most original of them all.

It was nice to see Damien smile.  I thought he looked beautiful.  Yes, beautiful is the word that keeps coming to mind.  He and Gwen.

That Bruno song is actually Whoever-Ronson featuring Bruno Mars.

Mark Ronson has been well known as a producer for quite a while, with moderate success as a singer. IIRC, he produced most of Amy Winehouse's 'Back to Black' and Bruno's own 'Unorthodox Jukebox', parts of Adele '19', Christina Aguilera 'Back to Basics' and many others. Not sure he's widely known in the US though (among the public, obviously people in the biz are hiring/being hired by him left and right).

I have no idea how that model works.  So David Guetta, Zed and others do what-- purchase a written song from a songwriter (or write one) and arrange it and then hire Usher or Bruno or someone to do the vocals, and it's technically their song?  Interesting model.

At a guess, I'd say there's a handful of producers and/or DJs who get good/famous enough (because they stay on top of the musical pulse) that singers want to work with them. This, in turn, gives them leverage to put their own names first on the line-up or even produce entire albums of themselves featuring assorted well known artists. Who knows, maybe they trade - 'if you produce my album, I'll sing on yours'?

Bruno just showed how not sexy Chris with his sprayed on pants (TM hincandenza) and hip swinging is - he had a good run with some decent songs, but those which required a lot of 'tude or grooviness ('Don't', 'Uptown Funk', 'Sexual Healing') were just awkward.

None of the original songs impressed me, but were marginally better than the Eurovision Song Contest-type cheese I'd expected, so props to someone.

• Love 2

I never really watched Idol (maybe a handful of episodes in total) so I don't know the history of originals on reality shows.  But I think it was a great idea on The Voice.  Especially since they tried to tailor it to each contestant and even produced music videos to boot.  Makes me more likely to follow their post-show careers when I feel there is something marketable beyond performing covers. 

What a nice surprise. The originals were nowhere near perfect but they were decent. I wonder when the coaches/contestants started working on them. Probably required more lead time than a week.   

I thought the "Soldier" original song that Damien got was significantly worse than the other original songs.  Matt's "Wasted Love" got repetitive eventually, but at least there were some interesting in-between bits and the song had a slightly different take than the usual.  No such luck with Soldier.

The country song was pretty raunchy, I thought.  Other than that, the tune itself was formulaic..  

I liked Chris' "Velvet".  Might be because I'm ending the season a strong Chris supporter, but both the song and the performance seemed the most original of them all.

It was nice to see Damien smile.  I thought he looked beautiful.  Yes, beautiful is the word that keeps coming to mind.  He and Gwen.

My favorite was Matt's. I think if any record label thinks Matt has real potential, then they should pick him up right away and start marketing him with this original immediately (if that's possible at all since the show probably owns the rights). I also liked Damien's original and could see that playing on the radio.

I don't really appreciate country music so have been reluctant to comment too much on Craig's original.  But I found it boring and repetitive.  And too raunchy to go out with it as one's first single.  I really don't believe Blake saying that it's been in his back pocket for years and the reason why was because it was difficult to sing.   

Totally agree about Damien.  So nice to see him smile.  It looked like he enjoyed singing with Adam in the duet and then to perform an original song...awesome.  I was a little scared for him the next night though when he was singing with Jennifer Hudson. It looked like she was going to eat him alive.  

I really don't believe Blake saying that it's been in his back pocket for years and the reason why was because it was difficult to sing.

Yeah, that was a silly thing for Blake to say, IMO. He has won CMA Male Vocalist FIVE straight times, tying the great Vince Gill for most wins in that category. Leaving the discussion of whether he deserves it for another day, his peers have judged him to be the best male singer in his genre for half a decade and counting. And it's an incredibly crowded field. The idea that the song was just too hard for him, but not for a relative amateur, is just so.... Maybe if it was up in Mr. Gill's range or something, but it was pretty average.

Sometimes I think Blake just gets rolling with the hyperbole and can't get stopped. lol

O.k. somebody correct me if I'm wrong here--- but doesn't "a Matt McAndrew Original song" mean that Matt McAndrew is the first person to RECORD it?  I didn't hear anything said by any of the coaches that made me think that any of the contestants wrote any of their "Original Songs".  I understood it to mean that they weren't doing a "cover" of someone else's song or even a cover of someone else's version.

Did Adam actually say "Matt WROTE this song?" and I just missed it?  (I admit I frequently tune out when the coaches are talking so its a distinct possibility. I love to listen to Adam sing-- talking is not his strong suit.  Pretty happy with him just sitting there looking pretty or doing duets.)