Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E26: Live Final Performances

• Start Topic

On iTunes, Matt and Damien's songs are up. Can't find Craig or Chris's.

Matt- Wasted Love, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Lost Stars (duet with Adam)

Damien- A Song for You, Soldier, Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me (duet with Adam)

ETA:

Chris- Velvet, Cry Me A River, Lost Without U (duet with Adam)

Craig- My Baby's Got A Smile On Her Face, In Pictures, Boots On (duet with Blake)

Edited by Universalhunter

Over the Rainbow?! I wonder if he'll sing Israel K's version. (sorry not even gonna attempt to spell that last name)

Cry Me A River is a perfect choice! And I think this song had been suggested for Chris for a few weeks, nice to see it worked out.

Edited by rollerblade
  • Love 2

The producers and Adam continued to fuck over Damien. At this point, I want Craig to win because I am so disgusted with Adam. All of these guys are going to disappear back into obscurity after the show so I am not sure it matters that much except to strike a blow to Adam's ego.

• Love 5

I really liked Craig and Matt's original songs. They were both something that I can see on the radio. While everyone did good tonight, to me it's still between Craig and Matt.

The Voice Drinking Game: Drink every time Adam mentions himself in critiquing his three singers.

How about adding every time Gwen comments on someone's outfit and Blake starts talking with "Welp..."

• Love 6

So this finale felt long and I was getting bored towards the end.  It really doesn't work well with 3 guys from the same team.  That was definitely Adam overload.  But it's supposed to be about the contestants so here goes:

By far the standout performance of the night for me was Matt's original song.  Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed that and could imagine that song being played on the radio.  

Other memorable performances included Damien's original song, the Chris/Adam duet, and the Matt/Adam duet.

I also think Craig's cover was well done, but I personally get turned off when the contestants sing to their families.  Feels like such an obvious ploy for votes and therefore incredibly fake to me.  Reminded me of Will Champlin in the season 5 finale.  

I felt bored by everything else on the show.  

I'm basing my votes on tonight's performances.  I vote Matt as the winner and will throw some votes to Damien as well.  

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 3

I think we are seeing an amazing shift here with The Voice, as this final "sing-off" becomes more about who gets to sing the "best" song. If I had to rate this night, I would make it a "tie" between Craig Wayne Boyd & Chris (since they are completely different genres), with Damien a very, very, close 2nd, and Matt a distant fourth.  (I've never liked his voice, and I thought the song was weak). To be honest, this (original songs tailored to each artist) makes way more sense than someone trying to write a "one-size-fits-all" song. It's been at least 36 minutes since I've heard these songs, and I can still sing the choruses to myself, Craig's song, Chris's song, and Damien's song. And this approach, may just be what "breaks" a Voice winner into the mainstream. I often thought Tessanne would have made it, with a  better single/song, as she certainly had the 'chops".

Edited by buckybruce
  • Love 4

I also think Craig's cover was well done, but I personally get turned off when the contestants sing to their families.  Feels like such an obvious ploy for votes and therefore incredibly fake to me.  Reminded me of Will Champlin in the season 5 finale.

I felt it was very honest.....and it was nothing like Will Champlain. Will was "vote for me, I have a family that needs this". CWB was more about his own absent father (long haul trucker), and what's going to happen to his father/son relationship if he achieves even a measure of the success of someone like Blake Shelton. (do Blake and Miranda have kids together?)

• Love 2

Blake and Miranda do not have kids, but plenty of celebrity couples do, I'm sure Craig could figure it out. As far as the show goes, I think it comes down to Matt or Craig. Personally I liked Craig's performances better, did not care for Over the Rainbow at all.

• Love 1

Wasted Love was by far the best of the new singles, and Matt sold it so well. Everything about it was way more awesome than the other songs, too -- that choir of backup singers? Fantastic. I've never been a Matt McAndrew fan -- he looks too much like a Muppet to me, and I think I'm too old for his charms -- but I predict him winning the competition handily with all of the new fans he just picked up. (I didn't, however, like his duet with Adam Levine -- his falsetto sounded like a cartoon, it wasn't melodic at all.)

Chris is my favorite but I see him more likely to flounder in the music biz if he isn't adopted by the right mentors and labels. I really do like him though. Craig and Matt seem like they are finished artists enough to do really well after the show. Damien is awesome but I don't know if he has the personality to be a full-time artist. 

• Love 2

I hate "Cry Me a River" with a passion, but I have to admit that Chris kinda killed that one. It was perfect for his voice and I think he improved on the song.

I just groaned out loud when I heard that Adam gave Matt "Over the Rainbow." So overdone on singing competitions and not what I want to hear in the last final-slot performance of the season. Especially not from Matt. He needed a song that fits his style. It was nice, but not anything that can stand up to the song's legacy.

Speaking of fitting Matt's style, "Wasted Love" was the performance of the night for me. Sure I may be Matt-biased, but that was a perfect song choice for him to break out with. I also really enjoyed Damien's "Soldier." The other two original songs were meh for me.

Chris/Adam had a good duet, but I wasn't a big fan of the other three. Damien sounded much better than Adam in theirs, Blake sounded better than Craig in theirs, and the Matt/Adam duet was decent but not what I was hoping for.

I'm giving Matt pretty much all my votes with a few sprinkled in for Damien and Chris.

• Love 1

I thought Matt and Damien both had really solid originals. I think Craig's was catchy enough, though for some reason the line that was something like "we were up all night, she looks tired but satisfied" seemed pretty suggestive for country, though I don't really listen to new country... of course then there was Chris' song which ended with "she rides like a dream"... a lot of sex tonight.

I missed the list two performances (had to watch on youtube)... I assume they ended with Matt? Which is a shame because I think Over the Rainbow has been his weakest performance. That version is just not for his voice.

I thought Chris has had better performances than Cry Me a River but his and Adam's duet was quiet nice.

Damien's first song was very forgettable, and he carried Adam in the duet.

Adam and Matt's duet was pretty good as well. Blake and Craig seemed to have fun.

I didn't love Craig's last song but it should did play to emotion. Blake made it seem like Craig was a single dad.

Other thoughts:

It seemed like Adam implied Matt wrote his song, which I don't believe he did. As much as I liked the song, I gaffed at Adam declaring it the.best.song.in.the.world.omg.

I found Matt's shirt really distracting during his original. He had a choir following him around the stage and he looked like he was about to take his kids to disney land.

Chris' pants were also distracting in his original. There was a lot of thrusting.

I think Matt will probably take this, but I kinda hope it's Craig or Damien... Damien for the shock, Craig because I don't want next season about Blake and Adam breaking the tie.

Blake I have to say is an excellent coach in that he really sticks with his contestants and I have no doubt Craig Wayne Boyd will be opening up for Blake Shelton.

Oh! and it was nice to see the other contestants! Weird when Carson asked Luke to give them advice, but he answered very well

• Love 2

I've been a Matt fan since he auditioned but I thought Adam's first critique was incredibly insulting to his 2 other contestants   "Matt hasn't finished winning yet" was so rude and disrespectful of his other two guys I am having a hard time voting at all.

• Love 7

On a different note, going into the top 12 I would not have predicted this top 4, with the exception of Craig. I was really bitter over my favs getting cut mind you. But I was certain Matt was going to be a top 5 at best and that Damien and Chris would be eliminated the first week haha. So props to Adam, I amy find him so annoying but he did a pretty good job finding the right songs for his contestants, especially Matt, who really didn't have a bad song selection, and Chris, where Adam just got better and better for picking songs for him.

• Love 3

I thought Matt and Damien both had really solid originals. I think Craig's was catchy enough, though for some reason the line that was something like "we were up all night, she looks tired but satisfied" seemed pretty suggestive for country, though I don't really listen to new country... of course then there was Chris' song which ended with "she rides like a dream"... a lot of sex tonight.

Not suggestive at all, even for "old country".  Personally, I hated Craig's original song.  I'll have to go listen to it on YouTube to see if it sounds better for radio but it was pretty darned repetitive and, frankly, I don't think Blake "kept it in his back pocket" because it was too hard to sing or special in any way.  Blake has written a lot of songs in his career and most of them are a million times more interesting than the one he gave to Craig.

• Love 3

Dvr'd it and watched it all in about 50 minutes.

Finally figured out what the swaying, arm waving, out of sync audience reminds me of - the zombies from Walking Dead, they've got the same lack of rhythm.

Tonight was The Adam Levine Show and I missed the 'sing with your idol' thing they used to do.

If Matt wins, I hope he learns to enunciate, the dude was made for closed captioning.

Pulling for Craig, but I'd appreciate a Damien come from behind win too.

Bring on next season, I don't have a horse in this one.

• Love 2

Another drinking game: each time Adam shushes the audience so he can impart his perceived wisdom to the masses uninterrupted. He's become so overinflated with self-importance that I would like him to take a break from the show.  

Still not feeling Chris' sexy vibe. Was looking forward to Cry Me A River but felt like his vocal was a bit overpowered by the band and singers in a technical/production/mixing issue. I was straining to hear his voice.

An unknowable question, how much impact Gwen's "modern" makeover of CWB had on voters (positive and negative).

I was touched when Matt quickly wiped a tear away during Adam's comments to him after his original song performance.

Damien's had decent performances, but I don't see him winning this. Or rather, it's a toss-up among them all.

• Love 3

Chris has such a beautiful voice. But he's a sweet emotional singing R&B song. He's not an overtly sexual singer. And he sang that way the entire season (except for when he chose the songs.) Kid has to learn to say "No." He tried to sell it, but he was uncomfortable. His voice is fantastic though. And that continued tonight. 

I thought Damien was off. People blame Adam for the duet, but I thought it was Damien's bad. He didn't sing his big belts well..and too much melisma. I thought this was one of his worst weeks. 

Matt was also off vocally, but "Wasted Love" is easily the best song of the bunch. He's a great emoter and performer he just needs to control his pitch..which he had done the last couple of weeks. I particularly liked his duet with Adam. (Where he did control his pitch..unlike the awfulness that was Over The Rainbow). 

Craig was solid. I loved his duet with Blake too. In Pictures was really sweet and emotional, but his original was a little boring. Overall though, solid job by Craig. 

Chris is the best singer, Matt got the best songs, Craig's got the country voters, and Damien doesn't have a shot. 

• Love 3

I think that they had the same phone numbers all season, so Chris was probably the 4th one to sing on the first live show which the audience could call in votes. I know Craig has been voting number 02 every week. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars

I was rolling my eyes that Damien gets to sing first, again! But his original song was surprisingly good, so now I'm confused at who they are trying to surpress.... probably Craig, even though he has the no-vote-splitting advantage.

Best thing in this episode = Matt's performance of Wasted Love

Worst thing in this episode = Chris' smurf-colored pants

• Love 3

I decided to watch the music videos. Despite having very different songs, Craig and Matt have basically the same music video- girl rolling around in bed, passionately playing and instrument, the rising and setting of the California sun.

More hilariously Damien and Chris both have rain sequences. Which I suppose makes sense for Chris, since his song talks about rain. But It made me think... is this a maroon 5 thing? I feel like a lot of maroon five videos feature heavy rain sequences. Or maybe it's just the last two... and I guess she will be loved... and I suppose this love was basically a girl rolling around in bed... It's possible that the music industry really only has four types of music videos and I am just now noticing.

• Love 4

Maybe it's a budget issue, and they didn't have a lot of time to brainstorm ideas and then film it. These guys probably only learned the new songs like 5 days ago.

I haven't seen the music videos, hope at least use different actresses in different beds?

I didn't see anything especially complicated about the song Blake gave to Craig, and did find it a bit repetitive myself.  But Blake knows how to provide a backstory and sell a song (and a singer).  That's what I've been fascinated to watch this season - Blake as a coach on-air, Blake as a coach off-air, and Blake-the-strategist behind the country schtick.  I liked the individual song that Craig sang; I think performance-wise he needs to rein in his knowing looks, nods and winks to the audience when he's doing those up-tempo songs.  You need some of that in country songs but perhaps not so many per song.  I was wondering if Gwen's comment about "Craig already going to go on tour with Blake" was simply an artless comment, or one of those "well, your main chance is already secure because of Blake's plans for you" attempts to lessen his chances?

I found myself humming "Wasted Love" as I wandered into the kitchen during a commercial.  I was looking forward to "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", but I would label Matt's version of it "pedestrian".  I am not a musician but it seemed like singing the majority of it in that lower tone made it seem strained rather than intimate.  I think Adam was mistaken regarding why the audience took a moment during that song; it wasn't Matt's singing.  It was merely that the song evokes our collective childhoods and watching that movie every year on TV.  The duet with Adam was "meh"; I sort of cringed whenever Matt had to do the falsetto part.

I also found myself wandering out of the room during Chris' various falsetto songs.  I like the guy, and he's got a good voice, but his expression when he performs is like he's merely "lying back and thinking of England".  He just seems so serious all the time; I never get the sense that he's having fun with the whole Voice experience.

I thought that Damien did really well, and I especially liked "Soldier".  I'll be getting that one.  I agree that I would have preferred to hear him sing the Elton John song solo, but I didn't think that the duet with Adam was all that bad.  I was listening to Adam sort of sound like EJ when singing that song, and realized that he also sounded sort of like Billy Joel during a song on an earlier show.  I also realized that I wouldn't recognize Adam's own voice if I heard it on the radio.  I mean, I've heard Maroon 5 and can recognize some of their songs, but it's as the group's sound not due to his voice.

I don't know what they changed this year, but whoever the stylist is for the show should be let go.  This was probably the worst-dressed show of the series.  I also go the impression that the set designer was phoning in some of those sets; or perhaps someone else took over the set designing and was just copying previous years' sets.  There were times when I was yelling at the screen, "Just put the damn spotlight on the singer's face during the song!"

I have to decide who to vote for.  I'm leaning toward Craig and Damien.  This isn't a finale where I dislike or am annoyed by any of the contestants, like in previous seasons, so my choice is less clear-cut.  I think that Craig has all the pieces in position to hit it big in the country area.  I think that Damien should have the chance to expand and grow as an artist.  I like Matt and Chris as people and have been impressed with Matt's versatility and Chris' growth as a performer as the show has progressed.  I don't have any instinctive dislike of any of them - like I did with Will and Grimmie.

• Love 2

Is it just my tone deafness, or were the last big notes of Matt's Somewhere Over the Rainbow really really off?  I like him, but I thought the end of that song was terrible.

I'd rank the performances as follows:
Matt's single

Damien's single

Matt's duet

Chris's duet

Craig's single

Damien's duet

Chris's Cry Me a River

Chris's single

Craig's duet

Damien's A Song for You

Matt's SOTR

Craig's Picture

I've always really loved Damien's voice.  I just enjoy listening to him sing, even though I think he's had horrible song choices 85% of the time, and his style is just not appealing to the masses.  Matt is good and original and I like him but don't love him.  I guess I think he should win though.  I really like Craig when he sings more classic rock style music, but honestly the religious song and following exchange with Pharrell a few weeks ago really turned me off (I've read all the arguments that it's not his fault or whatever, and I agree on a rational level, but I'm still turned off), and his country performances bore me.  Chris is just kind of a non-entity to me.  It is nice to not actively hate anyone in the finale this season.

Overall, I thought that last night was the best final show of all 7 seasons.  I loved that they all debuted original singles and already have videos for them.  Really that gives any one of them a better shot coming out of the gate than any other winner has ever had.  It turns out I didn't miss the "sing with your idol" performances at all.  I especially didn't miss the- "It wasn't fair that so & so got to sing with a better star or didn't get to sing with a real star discussion after the show." (I'm looking at you Will Champlin- even though you've always been my favorite.)

Before the final performances, I thought I'd probably be voting for Chris.  He's had the best overall improvement and I generally like what he's been doing in the live shows.  BUT, I really liked both Matt (except not loving swotr) and Chris tonight.  Sorry Craig & Damien, I think you are good singers just not my style of music.  For the first time ever I actually voted for 2 people in the finale. 

I really liked Matt's original song so I decided to buy it on iTunes and while I was there I decided to pick up any other voice music from the season that I don't already have.  I ended up listening to the snips of all of Matt & Chris's music.  Turns out I bought 6 of Matt's songs and only 2 of Chris's for the whole season.  So I guess it turns out I'm more of a Matt fan than I realized.  I will say this-- I didn't buy any songs that I already own by the original artist which hurt them both at least once.  I didn't buy Chris's original song yet.  I'm going to listen to it again this morning before voting closes and make a final decision but I wasn't quite feeling it last night. 

I'd like to see a Matt or Chris win, but I think Matt, Chris or Craig all have a decent shot at making in in their respective style.  And I think that Blake will take care of Craig either way and that Adam will sign either Matt or Chris if the other wins.  (If neither wins I think he'll still sign Matt- Maybe even a Grimmie like announcement during the show.)  That leaves Damien out in the cold.  Sorry dude- at least being the wildcard earned you an original song and maybe a car.

Speaking of Cars- I think they usually give those away during the last show as filler, correct?  But new car sponsor this year.  Its Nisssan rather than Kia- so I wonder if they will give 4 cars away or not.

I think that they had the same phone numbers all season, so Chris was probably the 4th one to sing on the first live show which the audience could call in votes. I know Craig has been voting number 02 every week.

Ah thanks ChicksDigScars. I've never noticed that and would think that I would since I've watched every season of this show. The same is done on DWTS.

So here's my shameful secret: I was a little wasted the very first time I ever heard Elton John sing "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" and I swear that I thought he was singing, "Don't Let Your Son Go Down on Me."  So every single time I hear that song, I giggle.  Great song but that thing with the lyrics always distracts me.

• Love 5

Best thing in this episode = Matt's performance of Wasted Love

Worst thing in this episode = Chris' smurf-colored pants

Agree with this on both points: 

Best thing = After years of watching these singing competition shows, I did not think it could be done but Wasted Love is the first non-cheesy original song written for a singing competition show and I love it.  It has been playing in my head since I heard it last night. 

Worst thing = I said to my husband, 'Oh god, poor kid is wearing Wolowitz' pants.'  

• Love 3

I've been checked out for most of the season this year.  It would have to much Adam for my tolerance, and I hate it when I root against people because they have a douche coach.  I might watch this when I get home tonight, sounds like there were some decent performances.

Agree with this on both points: 

Best thing = After years of watching these singing competition shows, I did not think it could be done but Wasted Love is the first non-cheesy original song written for a singing competition show and I love it.  It has been playing in my head since I heard it last night. 

Worst thing = I said to my husband, 'Oh god, poor kid is wearing Wolowitz' pants.'  

Matt's my favorite but I did think Wasted Love was cheesy.  "Has anybody seen all my wasted love..."  I was kind of embarrassed for him.  I didn't get it.  

I personally thought that finale was pretty boring... This season has been ok but the singers just havent wowed me like the ones in previous seasons.  With that being sad I think I have enjoyed Matt the most this season and hope he wins

• Love 2
So here's my shameful secret: I was a little wasted the very first time I ever heard Elton John sing "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" and I swear that I thought he was singing, "Don't Let Your Son Go Down on Me."  So every single time I hear that song, I giggle.  Great song but that thing with the lyrics always distracts me.

Nothing to be ashamed about. Any time I hear Manfred Man's Blinded By the Light, I sing "Wrapped up like a DOUCHE." 

Huh. I just thought of Adam....wonder why. 

Last night, the last time I looked at I-Tunes, Matt was #1 and Craig was #2. I wonder if this will come down to actual votes.  It's got to be between those two. Damien is the longest shot to win, and I think when it comes right down to it, the squealing teeny bopper vote isn't enough to get Chris completely over the top.

• Love 2

Dear;God, please save us all from the Adam Levine I Love Me, I Love Me,  Here Look at Me, Sing It Llike Me Show.  I had to turn it off to watch my Bears get slaughtered by the Saints to cheer me up!  Please let Adam sprain himself from patting himself on the back.

• Love 5

Nothing to be ashamed about. Any time I hear Manfred Man's Blinded By the Light, I sing "Wrapped up like a DOUCHE." 

the squealing teeny bopper vote isn't enough to get Chris completely over the top.

I think my favorite Friends line ever was Phoebe's "Hold me closer, Tony Danza".  

The teen in my house keeps asking me why they're trying to pretend Chris is cute.  And why he hasn't grown some hair to help out in that department.  I agree with her that the buzzcut is the opposite of sexy.  

I really liked the Damien/Adam duet.  I've grown to like Adam's singing, and find his personality annoying.  

The teen in my house keeps asking me why they're trying to pretend Chris is cute.  And why he hasn't grown some hair to help out in that department.  I agree with her that the buzzcut is the opposite of sexy.

OMG I read several blogs and kept reading how cute Chris is and thought, "Am I the only one who doesn't see the attraction?". I think the short hair emphasizes how much his ears stick out. Reminds me of a jug. Nevertheless, beauty is subjective, but my problem with Chris is that the show is trying to make him into the next JT and that just isn't him at all. IMHO Chris just doesn't have the swag to pull off a JT 2.0. He has no moves, no charisma, and in my humble opinion, no sex appeal. Those pants he wore during his last performance were so tight, I could have sworn I saw his grandchildren. They left nothing to the imagination. I understand this show is desperate to produce a star, but (sorry for being cliche) they really should stop trying to make "fetch" happen when it comes to Chris. ymmv

• Love 4