Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

Do you have opinions about the show that are unpopular, at least in your experience? If so, this is the place to safely confess them without having to defend or justify them :)  

A few of mine:

I haven't liked Kate since the first season, and I really have tried to! I don't actively dislike her (at least not usually), but she's just not remotely relatable, layered or interesting to me. She feels more like a plastic comic book hero dreamed up by some fantasy-prone male writers----she's smoking hot, competent in every area, loved and admired by all, sassy and sexy and able to be both 'totally down with the guys' and ultra-feminine, the best detective in the history of ever (by the way, I laugh every time we're supposed to believe that hardened felons find her impossibly intimidating!), good at and knowledgeable about pretty much EVERY 'cool' topic and interest known to man, a perfect chameleon who's all things in every situation, etc. I had a totally different impression of the character in Season 1 and felt she had a much more interesting, well-defined personality back then.  I saw her as a fairly 'deep', serious, more cerebral introvert with a little endearing social awkwardness and understandable prickliness. Since then, she's just sort of hollow, brittle, bland and 'just there' to me.

As her hair and makeup got more high maintenance (and, given the time-consuming demands her job, a bit ridiculous IMO), her distinctive inner qualities seemed to fade. I can't bring myself to care about Caskett in large part because Kate doesn't even feel like a real character to me. 

Actually, IMO the character definition and development on this show is pretty bad in general. It kind of amazes me that Lainie, Esposito and Ryan have all been around forever, and yet I still don't feel like they have any distinctive personality traits at all. (I like Ryan because I enjoy the actor who plays him, not due to the writing!) 

And it's because of all of the above that I have the very unpopular opinion of watching primarily for the (admittedly sometimes lame!) mysteries, the still fairly sharp and witty dialogue, and because I really enjoyed Nathan Fillion in Firefly :) Most procedurals are so grim and somber that I enjoy how the Castle cases tend to have a bit of lighthearted enjoyment to them. An unsurprising and related UO here is that I tend to really dislike the show's more "serious", angst-y, this-time-it's-personal episodes---I think Castle is best when it embraces its destiny as fluffy fun.  

I think the actresses who play Kate and Alexis are both pretty bad. The actress who plays Martha is terrific, IMO, but I find the character incredibly grating. 

The Rick Castle of the first couple of seasons was a little too much of an immature, conceited 'ladies' man' for my taste, but he was also so vibrant and charming and ALIVE back then that it's almost startling sometimes to watch later seasons and see how relatively bland and flat the character is (and bored the actor is?!) by contrast. I also loved his childlike wonder in life's small pleasures and kind of hate when Alexis starts in on her "come now, haven't we grown out of that?!" routine. 

I'm looking forward to reading others' UOs! 

• Love 7

Do you have opinions about the show that are unpopular, at least in your experience? If so, this is the place to safely confess them without having to defend or justify them :)  

A few of mine:

I think most of yours are actually very popular opinions, at least around here.

My unpopular opinions:

-I don't think the show's best seasons were 1 and 2.

-I find Beckett way more relatable/interesting/likable now than I did in the early seasons.  In season 1 she seemed very stereo-typical woman cop show who was supposed to be the best detective ever. Whereas now she seems more well-rounded and more flawed than back then.  I've never got the complains about her being perfect now, because to me it is the other way around.  And I say that as someone who is very cerebral/introverted/socially awkward like people always describe early seasons Beckett.  I didn't relate to her then at all.

-I think Nathan/Stana still have great chemistry and think they show some kind of spark anytime they make eye contact (although obviously some scenes have more chemistry than others).

-I still really enjoy the show.

-I like Tory the tech girl.

-I've never really liked Alexis, even in the early seasons.

-I don't think Nathan Fillion is good looking.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 3

Here we go.

- Castle and Alexis' relationship was my favorite when I first started watching (which wasn't until the summer after season 3). It took me a ~long time to warm up to the idea of Castle & Beckett as a couple.

- I don't hate Sorenson, Demming or Josh. I see them for the necessary roles they played in the development of C&B's relationship. Same goes for Gina. In fact, I wish Demming was still around from time to time as his role as foil for Castle in vying for Beckett's attention was something I really really enjoyed. 

- I'm OK with the idea that Beckett slept with Hunt and believed she did. Once. 

- I didn't hate Heartbreak Hotel like ~so many in the fandom did. Was it my favorite? No. But I disliked other episodes much more than that one. 

- I never felt the BFF vibe between Beckett and Lanie.

- I thought Stana was very wooden in her acting for the most part until sometime in season 3. I feel the same wooden acting vibe every time from Juliana Dever too, which is why if I never see Jenny again, it'd be just fine by me.

- Sometimes I wish they would break Castle & Beckett up. The way I imagine it a lot is having one cheat on the other and it takes a ~long time to recover from that betrayal. Who cheats isn't important, but at the same time, I'd prefer it be Beckett. 

- I didn't hate Pi.

- I never cared for Montgomery and wasn't really sad when he died. Related, I've liked Gates from the start (even if she's written kinda unevenly lately IMO).  

Edited by S55
  • Love 1
-I like Tory the tech girl.

Same here! 

- I thought Stana was very wooden in her acting for the most part until sometime in season 3.

I totally agree...only I never felt like her acting improved all that much :) I'm not sure whether I think she's a sub-par actress or just a poor fit for this particular role, but Kate/Stana just doesn't work for me. 

Related, I've liked Gates from the start (even if she's written kinda unevenly lately).

I'm neutral on Gates, though the "sir" thing bugs me more than it should :) 

- I never felt the BFF vibe between Beckett and Lanie.

Preach it! They're among the least convincing "BFF" duos I've seen on TV. I don't think either character is well defined individually, and instead of shedding light on either character, their friendship just feels really forced and unconvincing. 

Sometimes I'm shocked that this is the same guy who played Mal Reynolds on Firefly. I never found him especially gorgeous either, but back then he had a certain appeal that I agree is almost wholly lacking now. I'm not someone who ceases to find people attractive simply because they grow older, but Nathan started looking absolutely awful around Season 4 IMO. He looks like he's aged about 17 years since the show began! 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 4

I agree mostly with KaveDweller, except I like season 2 a lot and I don't like or dislike Tory. She's just ... there ... though I don't know if the actress is just dry or the character is just boring (or both).

My favorite, favorite NF look (or Castle look?) is late season 2. I don't know why, but that Castle appeals to me a lot. (Actually, I like most of the cast in late S2. Maybe that's why the back half of that season might be my favorite.)

I also don't really care as much as others for season 1 Castle, especially early season 1. He's almost a little too devil-may-care for me (though he does have his moments).

But I do think NF looks better now than he did in a good chunk of S5, spilling into S6, so if it was something health related, I'm glad it seems to be getting better for him.

- I don't hate Sorenson, Demming or Josh. I see them for the necessary roles they played in the development of C&B's relationship. Same goes for Gina. In fact, I wish Demming was still around from time to time as his role as foil for Castle in vying for Beckett's attention was something I really really enjoyed.

I didn't really hate Josh, though I thought his character was unnecessary, probably because he wasn't developed a much more than a roadblock for Castle/Beckett. I liked Demming much, much more and I think one of the gut-punch moments even still now is when Castle sees him kissing Beckett.

• Love 2
I don't hate Sorenson, Demming or Josh.

I don't either, and I don't hate any of Castle's exes.  I think they were all necessary steps in Castle and Beckett's journey to each other (I apologize for how cheesy that sounds, but I think it's true).

Another minor thing - I never thought there was supposed to be a big time jump at the beginning of Season 5 (between After the Storm and Cloudy With a Chance of Murder).  I have read fan fiction where people refer to Beckett's suspension lasting for months and months and that never made sense to me.  Usually when there is a time jump they specifically mention it on the show or at least act like a lot of time passed and I never saw that happening.  I guess the secondary part of this is that I don't mind when show's timelines don't match perfectly with real time.  Some people seem to get annoyed by if that's not the case.

• Love 3

I think they had Castle & Beckett care about each other too early. I would have preferred a slower pace rather than the silly roadblocks they invented to keep 2 people in love apart. It almost gave me whiplash watching them almost come together only to be torn apart again.

I prefer Perlmutter over Lanie. It would not bother me if after this season she was no longer on the show.

I wouldn't mind dropping the precinct & seeing Castle & Beckett as private eyes with Cyber Rita as their technical support. Maybe it would breathe some new life into the show.

• Love 1

I prefer Perlmutter over Lanie. It would not bother me if after this season she was no longer on the show.

I wouldn't mind dropping the precinct & seeing Castle & Beckett as private eyes with Cyber Rita as their technical support. Maybe it would breathe some new life into the show.

Add me to the list who prefers Perlmutter. And I definitely wouldn't mind the PI thing either.

I wasn't a huge fan of S2. In terms of my favourite list not a lot of episodes from S2 makes it.

My unpopular opinion is I didn't mind the DC arc. I actually thought it provided some of the stronger episodes last season.

I know the show is about Castle following Beckett around, but I wouldn't mind actually seeing some Black Pawn meetings once in a while when he's not in the precinct. WTF is he? Since if he's not at home writing (or playing games). That's been my question a lot when they do the separate investigating.

Edited by Nadine

Big loud "DITTO!" here.  

I know the show is about Castle following Beckett around, but I wouldn't mind actually seeing some Black Pawn meetings once in a while when he's not in the precinct. WTF is he? Since if he's not at home writing (or playing games). That's been my question a lot when they do the separate investigating.

I like this too. Especially because I wish we had more references to him being a bestselling writer.  

• Love 1

Perlmutter all the way for me as well. Don't care for Lanie.

- I didn't hate Heartbreak Hotel like ~so many in the fandom did. Was it my favorite? No. But I disliked other episodes much more than that one.

Same here. The Blue Butterfly was worse in my eyes. I found Stana's acting in that one terrible.

I enjoyed Demming a lot and he could have stayed longer.

Alexis was ok at the beginning but after season 3 I started to dislike her more and more. She was worse than Pi in season 6.

I pretend season 6 never happened. I doubt I'll buy the dvd to have the entire show.

Season 2 had the best two-parter. Don't know if I really have a favorite season. The first 4 all had great episodes.

Sounds good to me too.

I could live without Espo on the show as well. He is ok with Ryan but every other interaction - annoying.

I've loved reading everyone's posts! 

Perlmutter all the way for me as well. Don't care for Lanie.

Amen. If enough people agree with this, is it still unpopular?! :) 

You guys have helped me realize that I don't have a favorite season either. Every season has episodes that I really like...and many that I would happily never lay eyes on again :) Season 3 had more than its share of clunkers, but it actually may have had more of my favorites than any other season. (Though I haven't seen the series enough to be sure!) 

• Love 1

Okay, here we go:

- I shipped Castle & Serena Kaye. I love(d) that character. 

- I like TSATQ. I doesn't fit with the timeline but as a stand-alone episode, I like it.

- I, too, never really cared for Montogmery. I like Gates much better. 

Here are some of mine:

- I like Gates. The "sir" thing was silly, but as a character she doesn't bug me and I like that she still isn't a huge fan of Castle because I don't see why a commanding officer would be

- I find Nathan Fillion unattractive. He looked good in the first two seasons and that made me buy "Firefly". But I thought he looked kind of bland back then and a few years on him actually improved his looks. And then he just got so out of shape that I don't even want to see physical displays between him and Beckett unless they're fully clothed and I can focus on the emotional rather than the sexual because that squicks me out a bit. Yes, he's got big-ish biceps but no definition so, meh

- I dislike Alexis. Never really liked her, but now it's active dislike. I preferred Pi to her. Nuff said

- I never thought much of the random episodes I happened to catch until "Tick Tick Tick" and "Boom" and to me the show wasn't as good before and hasn't been as good since. The only thing that would have made that two-parter better would have been a hot, guilty f*cking session between Castle and Beckett that they agreed "never happened". But other than that episode, if pushed, I consider the series to be mediocre

- I often think Beckett can do better when Castle is acting like a goofy eight-year old who is understandably emotionally tone-deaf because he's eight. The "physical comedy" makes me fast-forward

- Martha's not that great, although I like the actress who plays her

- I like Esposito

• Love 5

You guys have helped me realize that I don't have a favorite season either. Every season has episodes that I really like...and many that I would happily never lay eyes on again :) Season 3 had more than its share of clunkers, but it actually may have had more of my favorites than any other season. (Though I haven't seen the series enough to be sure!) 

I relate to this a lot too. I used to say season 3 was my favorite season as a whole, but I don't know if I feel that way anymore. I liked a lot (like 90+%) of season 2. And I liked a lot about season 4. But I agree that every season has its good and bad episodes (as it pretty common in TV in my experience), so I'm not sure I could pick a favorite season now.  

- I like TSATQ. I doesn't fit with the timeline but as a stand-alone episode, I like it.

Agreed. Though I like that one too because I got to meet Ioan Gruffudd on location and he was a very handsome and nice man in person. :) 

My thoughts are mostly in line with KaveDweller and pepper.

I don't think this has become the Beckett show or that the character of Beckett has become perfect. I have no issues with her hair or wardrobe or how expensive her apartment is compared to her salary. It's a fictional tv show. I'm happy to go with the flow when it comes to the minor details.

I don't like Alexis. After the first couple of episodes I didn't think the character was needed anymore to ground Castle. He was already showing character growth in the second episode of the first season. I usually find an episode more enjoyable when she isn't in it.

I like Esposito. I like his sarcastic sense of humor, and I don't think he picks on Castle anymore than Ryan or Beckett does. I think his character has been more developed than Ryan's and has been more consistent. I also don't care that he or Ryan bribes Castle for use of his Ferrari or for a date with Jenny's cousin(or whomever it was). Castle asks a lot from those guys and they always come through for him.

I think Castle got off easy for his part in the lies of season 4 and for his behavior during the douchebag arc.

I also liked Will, Demming, and Josh. I wish we could have seen more of Will and Josh than what we did, especially Josh because Victor Webster is one fine looking man. I also supported Beckett's decision to stay with Josh when he didn't go to Africa or Haiti or wherever is was he was suppose to go to in Setup/Countdown.

Season 3 was my favorite season. I also liked The Blue Butterfly.

I don't get what the big deal is about Nathan Fillion. I love him as Castle, but outside of that...meh.

The biggest unpopular opinion - I still love the show.

• Love 5

- I shipped Castle & Serena Kaye. I love(d) that character.

ME TOO. I shipped her with Beckett, though, because I was so pleasantly surprised that the show supposedly brought her in as a romantic rival and still gave her a compelling and not at all antagonistic (at least on Serena's side) interaction with Beckett. Kristin Lehman was amazing.

I would think liking Alexis would be the unpopular opinion, since I don't ever see anyone say anything positive about her, so that's mine. I've always loved her as a character, especially when she was still in school, when she reminded me SO MUCH of how I was when I was her age. There's not enough positive portrayals of girls like her that worry about school and want to do their best, so I really appreciated that.

• Love 2

I hadn't considered that disliking Alexis had gone mainstream! That's a sea-change since I started watching the show. I guess that leaves the part that still seems to be popular but which I can't see the attraction of: Castle/Alexis "family time".

Another unpopular opinion: I have no issue with Caskett babies. It's not as though the writing is so top-notch that throwing in a baby would derail the ratings express. If written well, I really believe it could be fine.  

• Love 2

I don't believe Kate Beckett ever had walls, it's a load of bullshit.

I didn't hate Gina, she seemed nice, professional, hard working and she obviously tried with Alexis but got rebuffed.

I don't hate Beckett's exes either, although Josh was irritating but that could be because I thought Victor Webster was a lousy actor.

I really disliked Beckett for most of season 4, I thought the characterisation was awful, she came over as utterly self absorbed and cold for the most part.

I want to forget the end of season 5 and all of season 6 ever happened, it was a total waste of my viewing time and damaging to the characters.

The secondary characters development has been shit, I can write what I've learnt about them in six years on the back of a f** packet and have room left over. They could kill any one of them off and I wouldn't be that upset, their development has been that woeful and slapdash. They can start with Lanie she's become utterly pointless (Perlmutter is better) and Alexis can go too, send her to college abroad as she can't die.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Stana Katic is lousy at being badass. She has a certain range where she's absolutely fine and needs to stick to that. I found her inexperience acting wise in the early days actually fit the character, she's definitely improved her craft and she's much better now. I've never yearned to see any one else in the role but I disagree with some of her more ardent fans when they scream she's been robbed of an Emmy or Oscar usually whilst playing Badass!Beckett. Her strongest suit is light comedy with a dash of sarcasm/vulnerability mixed in. But as soon as she grits those teeth, the vein on her forehead pops out and she starts starts snarling into the screen I want to laugh.

I'm annoyed that Nathan was allowed to put on weight to the extent he did. If he has a medical issue that prevents him maintaining an adequate fitness regime that's different but otherwise I don't see it as some heinous crime to like Fillion but still say this. If I was an actor I would expect that looking good is a key part of my job and as a romantic lead it becomes absolutely critical even on a show like Castle that's not some big headline maker. Katic would never have been given the same largesse. Luckily I continue to find the guy attractive and I agree with those who say Luke dresses him like crap which doesn't help but sadly the physical changes have been all too obvious over the years and although things have improved, I do miss that S2 Fillion. *sigh*

Edited by verdana
  • Love 4

I like Season 4 a lot and don't hate the hilariously and aptly named "douchebag arc" as much as most do :) 

Speaking of S4, Once Upon a Crime is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. I can't begin to justify this. Oh, and I really liked the widely panned Blue Butterfly. 

I'm actually liking this season a lot. 

Stana Katic is lousy at being badass.

This is the aspect of her acting that really makes me cringe. I have to tell myself it's intentional comedy when these hardened felons cower in her presence :) 

• Love 1

Esposito is funnier and much hotter than Castle.

I favour Esposito over Ryan.

I don't mind Tory.

I liked the last three episodes.

I'm interested in the PI storyline.

• Love 2

Completely agree with you about Beckett amensisterfriend in terms of her transformation and likability although I've liked way more than disliked. She was far more multi faceted and interesting as a character before TPTB decided to give her the predictable generic Hollywood makeover in an obvious attempt to tick every box they could with their audience making her infinitely more popular than 'old' Beckett but you're right she's become more bland and predictable as a result.

Can Castle get his balls back please? The writers need to stop running scared of letting a man be a man without worrying he might risk overshadowing by his very presence the smart, savvy, hot woman he's chosen to love and be with. They used to be able to write two strong, mature characters with strengths and weaknesses that balanced each other out. But now I end up with alpha female Beckett giving her (now) husband an obvious smirk when he attempts to lay claim to his supposedly equal alpha status. Yeah we all know how laughable that is at this point, they don't even bother hiding it anymore, it gets played for laughs like everything else about Castle.

• Love 3

I wish I could remember who thought of the term douchebag arc, perfect description. It had to be someone from TWOP, that's the only place I saw it ever being used and now here of course.

Back to unpopular opinions, although this one could be slowly gaining a little more currency this season. Kate Beckett can do better than the guy she's been too often lumbered with for "fun" over the last season or so. Jesus that hurts to say it. I can't believe they made me wait for four years then decided this often bumbling and childish version of Castle was the one I had to ultimately see in love with Beckett.

I can only take this comedy slapschtick version in small doses and it feels like it's getting mainlined into me right about now. If they keep this up with Castle's regression into childhood instead of having him act like the forty plus man he is and Marlowe did something freaky like have Beckett look like she's left him in the S7 finale I'd shrug and think what took you so long?

• Love 1

I totally know what you mean, verdana, but, oddly (and unpopularly!) enough, I actually like childlike, endearingly awkward Castle more than the smarmy annoyingly arrogant, super slick Castle we saw a lot in S1. The one incarnation of Castle I don't like is when he's kind of faded and dull and detached, but that's as much about NF occasionally checking out as it is the writing for the character :) 

I think one of the issues with writing Beckett as a badass is it goes into territory that this show doesn't do well most of the time and that's a dramatic turn. So it feels a little jarring when "Badass Beckett" appears sometimes for clearly dramatic plot reasons. At least for me.

Also, to be honest, I've never had an issue with Nathan's fluctuating weight during the course of the series. Have I noticed it? Sure. But to me it's nothing new for a TV series actor or actress who's been on the same show for 5+ years. The debate about it reminds me a lot about when Matthew Perry was going through similar weight losses/gains while on Friends. And the focus on it for Nathan is something I've never understood in the fandom. It doesn't affect how I enjoy him as a person or as Castle, especially considering I have much bigger issues with things like storyline arcs and the writing of the character in general. Plus, I remind myself that ~I look much different in shape than I did 5 or 10 years ago, and aging affects each individual's body in different ways. 

And, if I'm being completely frank, I've noticed weight changes on Stana as the show has progressed too. Since she and I are the same age, I find myself wistfully wishing I looked more like her, but also knowing that's never going to happen, lol. But again, it doesn't matter to me and in the end really doesn't affect how I enjoy either of them in character on-screen on Castle or any other project they're a part of. 

• Love 2

When Castle left Beckett at the precinct and went off with his ex at the end of Season 2 leaving Beckett seemingly broken hearted I was okay with that. I also didn't understand why he had to get punished for it by everyone when he got back as I don't see what he did that was so God damn terrible in the first place.

If Castle had fucked Jacinda good for him. I don't consider it a betrayal of any kind on Beckett, they were both free agents.

I don't believe that Kate had any intention of saying I love you when they were trapped in the freezer.

I think the precinct scenes are often boring and predictable and like Oberon I would be happy to see them both become private investigators in an attempt to freshen things up.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I thought her mom's case was overblown & ridiculous. The way they finally solved it was completely idiotic. If Montgomery was willing to be incriminated on the tape why not come forward with all the evidence. It was one of the most illogical & unsatisfying conclusions to a long running storyline I have ever seen.

I would have preferred Castle never finding out who his father was. I thought spy dad sucked.

I think Castle proposed out of desperation not because he was ready for the next step.

• Love 6

(speaking in a tiny voice).

I think Stana Katic was horribly cast in the role of Beckett. So many actors would have been so much better, maybe someone who has a mind for comedy. And if they replace her? I seriously don't mind. I think the show would be fine without her. I think she's one-note, wooden, and has a strong tendency to overact.

I also think there's been no chemistry between "Caskett" since about Season 3. They make me cringe now. They are not a believable couple. I had no desire to see them married. I think they should divorce, go their separate ways, meet other people.

The only reason I watch this show is because it is light-hearted and sometimes entertaining. I'm not into monsters, superheroes, vampires, torture. Those topics seem to be the main ones on TV, so shows I watch are few and far between. Ironically, Castle also has those themes, but at least they are supposedly debunked. I have actually spent this hiatus catching up on Nashville. For me, that show is so much better. It's an unapologetic soap opera, as opposed to Castle, which often incorporates the most cringeworthy soapy storylines, while pretending NOT to be a soap. The Nashville writers don't make viewers wait forever to get what they want, while basing 3 seasons on the supposition that adults who are attracted to each other would not move on the attraaction. They tend to build up storylines so that the outcomes make sense. Characters are actually somewhat developed at times. The writers haven't created a dysfunctional, almost adversarial relationship with the viewers as the Castle showrunners and Terry seem to have done. The casting is better.

Anyway, don't get me started ;-). But it's okay because my heart belongs to "Javery" from Nashville now ;-). Castle (the show) can suck it ;-).

Edited by TVWithPity
  • Love 3

I find Fillion a generally obnoxious person and totally don't understand his crazy obsessed fans. I found him appealing in the first three seasons of the show and then he and his character hit the wall big time in season 4. It totally fucking annoys me that he just decided to get fat - and as a doctor there are finite reasons for weight gain like that - especially since he's managed to loose some weight since then. His job as a male lead is to maintain consistency in his appearance. MilMar didn't hire him to look like a chubby, tired middle aged man. Chris Meloni and David Boreanaz are/were on long running series and still looked the same (or better) after 10 years. That's part of the job. To me it's hubris to think you can let your appearance and your acting slide into the shitter because you're bored or whatever. You're a grownup and being paid $200K an EPISODE to act. So fucking do your job.

At this point I wish Caskett had never gotten married. It's bloody awful. It's now clear to me why Castle keeps getting divorced. I've never disliked his character more than I do right now - and I'm including the douchebag arc.

I liked the Espo centric episode this season. I was glad I didn't have to watch Caskett and all their excuses for not being together. That's pathetic.

I don't like how over the top Kevin is lately. It just feels really stupid to me.

Molly and Alexis annoy the shit out of me and I would be ecstatic if they went away for good.

I hate Gates. I hate sir. I'm glad I don't have to see her much.

It's totally ridiculous that Martha and Alexis still live in the loft. It's time to move on.

I wouldn't care if Caskett broke up. I'm totally over it.

Edited by Elysium1973
  • Love 3
Elysium. About Martha and Alexis, yeah they need to move out. Their only purpose for the writers these days seems to be as cockblockers for the few decent moments we do get with Caskett at home and since the writers seem at a loss as to what to do with them in terms of a decent story, better they went. Either write them out completely or limit them to one or two appearances a season. I love Susan but sadly Castle's family no longer serve any valid storytelling purpose on the show and it doesn't look as if that will change so get rid of them. Edited by verdana

I think Castle and Beckett are a great couple and have a very strong relationship.  They bring out the best in each other, they support each other, treat each other well, and they work well together.  They clearly really like spending time together and can usually tell what the other is thinking. I see a lot of physical chemistry between them. I really can't see where any claims about their marriage not lasting are coming from (and that's not a challenge to tell me, just part of my apparently unpopular opinion).

And the really unpopular one.....I kind of liked the mombatross.

• Love 5

And, if I'm being completely frank, I've noticed weight changes on Stana as the show has progressed too. Since she and I are the same age, I find myself wistfully wishing I looked more like her, but also knowing that's never going to happen, lol.

That's the thing, though. If you noticed weight changes in her, they probably were that she lost it rather than the other way around. If she gained the weight that Fillion did in seasons 3/4, I have no doubt the entertainment magazines would not stop harping on it and she would have gotten sent to get that fixed ASAP. More accurately, she wouldn't have been able to get as far as Fillion did because anyone of the higher-ups would have nipped that in the bud before it got too out of control. That is the problem. The double standard that allows Fillion to do that but that would not have allowed Katic to do the same, if that had been the case. I don't know if this is what bothers people about it, but it's certainly what bothers me. 

• Love 3

I guess we'll never know if Stana would've been criticized as much as Nathan for any weight gain since it didn't happen (and most likely won't). I thought fans seem to notice changes in both directions more than any mainstream media ever did (but then mainstream entertainment or tabloid media tend to ignore this show and its leads nowadays). I know I saw many comments over the past few seasons from fans who did think Stana was appearing too thin (similar to Nathan gaining too much weight). 

I think "Veritas" shows just how arrogant the writers are. They framed Beckett for Simmons murder & then just ignored that fact. We have no canon explanation for how she was cleared. She found the tape & then magically shows up to arrest Bracken. To quote Jed Clampett from the Beverly Hillbillies "pitiful pitiful pitiful".

• Love 2

I find 3 xyz annoying. Mostly because his plans are not only extremely complex but also because, although he is an ex-con and apparently a drifter, his plans involve a lot of money.

I am particularly annoyed that when he was framing Castle, he hired an actor to impersonate him buying a $28 000 pair of earrings.

Yeah, sure.

• Love 2

Ok just reviving this only to find the last post echoes my thoughts: DON'T LIKE 3XK. Don't look forward to the storyline coming back. Supervillains who have unlimited resources and the unlimited ability to enter spaces, manipulate intelligent people and who cannot be killed make me lose patience - even with shows I enjoy. I stopped watching "Bones" twice and "The Mentalist" altogether because they went down that route. This is clearly an unpopular opinion in the "Castle" fandom because 3XK causes much excitement on message boards, but every time I read longing for his return I cringe. Don't get me wrong, his original appearance was in a really great episode, I just wish it had been his last appearance.

• Love 3

Ok just reviving this only to find the last post echoes my thoughts: DON'T LIKE 3XK. Don't look forward to the storyline coming back. Supervillains who have unlimited resources and the unlimited ability to enter spaces, manipulate intelligent people and who cannot be killed make me lose patience - even with shows I enjoy. I stopped watching "Bones" twice and "The Mentalist" altogether because they went down that route. This is clearly an unpopular opinion in the "Castle" fandom because 3XK causes much excitement on message boards, but every time I read longing for his return I cringe. Don't get me wrong, his original appearance was in a really great episode, I just wish it had been his last appearance.

3XK is basically starting to be written into a corner situation. With Bracken, the writers admitted the story had reached an end and didn't know what to do with it. Plus, they said they always had two macguffins in the back burner just in case they needed to resolve it and be done with it. With 3XK, at least they are having those who see him as a teacher but much like Red John on The Mentalist it has been drawn out. Don't get me wrong, he's a great villain but how he just easily convinces these people to be like him and so forth makes no sense. Also, his super villain plans are really too much. I mean he hired two people to be two long time police employees and not to mention almost 5 shelves of cases and evidence and that just easily walks out the door to be shredded or burned somewhere? Please. They need to bring that story to an end, its like this new "mythology" with Castle being abducted and then saying: "I can't explain what is happening." Oh come on. Least with Bracken you got it and how these people were so scared and how he got these ex military guys to work for him. With 3XK it was like: "I'm evil, obey me!" 

• Love 3

Per season 6 and especially this season ... I hate the way Beckett and Castle kiss. If you can call it that. They kiss like pre-teens just learning ... put their lips on each other and just stay there. No movement or anything.  They move their arms and breath but lips don't move and it looks awkward now. 

Example #1

Example #2

Compare that to another ABC show

Example #1

Example #2

But Castle and Scandal are apples and oranges. The latter is a glorified soap and the tone is just more intense, anyway. The forebearers to Castle, except perhaps, ironically, Moonlighting, with its slapping and furniture breaking, were tame. If folks are looking for explicit PDA (and I know kissing is barely first base in itself, but in terms of seeing tongue and whatever) on this show, or Bones, or Remington Steele, et. al., they will be very disappointed.

• Love 4

I agree! Comparing the two shows, on storylines, writing, and everything is something I wouldn't normally do but I'm talking about kisses.  Not love scenes. It's not just SCANDAL but compare the kisses to other shows; other procedurals. There is a huge difference. Just my opinion though.

ETA:

Ex. #1

Ex. #2

[and these shows are on ABCFamily]

Ex. #3

Edited by Samantha84

I agree! Comparing the two shows, on storylines, writing, and everything is something I wouldn't normally do but I'm talking about kisses.  Not love scenes. It's not just SCANDAL but compare the kisses to other shows; other procedurals. There is a huge difference. Just my opinion though.

ETA:

Ex. #1

Ex. #2

Ex. #3

It's funny.  I was catching up on S7 of The Mentalist this weekend, and Jane and Lisbon kissed a couple times in the episode. And for all the complaining some Castle fans do about Caskett kisses,  I thought the kisses there was way more chaste than Castle/Beckett kisses. Finishing the episode actually made me go back and rewatch 5.01 and 5.04, when Caskett were at a comparable point in their relationship. No contest on heat, then or now, IMO. 

ETA:

Ex. #1

Ex. #2

You say "and these shows are on ABC Family" as if that's supposed to imply a chasteness or something, except ABC Family has gone into pretty risque territory, especially with the clips you linked to. PLL and The Fosters are a long way from Boy Meets World or anything else that started on a TGIF block. And it's not just in kissing or sex scenes - the content of the shows in general is more risque, especially compared to Castle's lighthearted take on murder.

• Love 1
It's funny.  I was catching up on S7 of The Mentalist this weekend, and Jane and Lisbon kissed a couple times in the episode. And for all the complaining some Castle fans do about Caskett kisses,  I thought the kisses there was way more chaste than Castle/Beckett kisses.

I think that for every show that has "hotter" kisses than Castle you can find a show that has tamer/more awkward kisses.  Castle is definitely one of the less risque shows out there, but I don't agree that they seem like preteens.  I think they come across as very comfortable together.

On a related note, it looked like next week's promo include an S in the rating.

• Love 1

They've often had an S rating which has got fans all excited only to find it's something case related.

I thought disliking the 3XK saga and wishing it would end was quite a popular opinion at least by this stage.

3XK is getting like Pelant on Bones and all the rest, he's a supervillain with amazing powers of persuasion, incredible intelligence and vast resources (where from?) who keeps outwitting them. I've never understood why he keeps coming back when I thought the whole idea was that he fake his death so he could go on killing elsewhere. 

Edited by verdana
3XK is getting like Pelant on Bones and all the rest, he's a supervillain with amazing powers of persuasion, incredible intelligence and vast resources (where from?) who keeps outwitting them. I've never understood why he keeps coming back when I thought the whole idea was that he fake his death so he could go on killing elsewhere. 

Actually we haven’t seen 3XK since Castle shot him off the bridge. We've just been getting his followers. Which is just as bad if he wants to be invisible. Just another example of how the show contradicts itself. Especially when it comes to 3XK.

1. In Probable Cause Beckett is completely fooled by the video from the jewelry store. She believes it's Castle. Now fast forward to Driven & she's completely certain it's Castle again because she can recognize his movements. Nobody on this show ever learns a damn thing.

2. In Driven Beckett has 3XK's file when she's listing who didn't take Castle. Exactly how the hell she knew 3XK wasn't involved baffled me at the time. And this was after they made such a big deal out of all the evidence being gone. Anyway I'll bet donuts to dollars that if he comes back his file will be gone again.

It's like the writers work in a vacuum & have no idea what's happened in the past. Even if they wrote the previous episode.

Edited by oberon55
  • Love 3

Actually we haven’t seen 3XK since Castle shot him off the bridge. We've just been getting his followers. Which is just as bad if he wants to be invisible. Just another example of how the show contradicts itself. Especially when it comes to 3XK.

1. In Probable Cause Beckett is completely fooled by the video from the jewelry store. She believes it's Castle. Now fast forward to Driven & she's completely certain it's Castle again because she can recognize his movements. Nobody on this show ever learns a damn thing.

2. In Driven Beckett has 3XK's file when she's listing who didn't take Castle. Exactly how the hell she knew 3XK wasn't involved baffled me at the time. And this was after they made such a big deal out of all the evidence being gone. Anyway I'll bet donuts to dollars that if he comes back his file will be gone again.

It's like the writers work in a vacuum & have no idea what's happened in the past. Even if they wrote the previous episode.

It was like in the season premiere with Becket believing Castle must have ran out on the wedding or how Espo constant is like: "Castle did it!" How many times do we need to see that before it gets through people's head that isn't the man they have come to love or have a friendship in. I remember in season 2 when Espo's old partner showed up and what happened to him and turned to Ryan and Castle and went: "This is my partner Ryan and my other partner, Castle." That spoke volumes in the friendship they had formed. Then go into season 4 and all of a sudden Espo back peddles to: "Castle is guilty." Where did that come from? Its the classic: "How many times can Castle be framed before people go start realizing, this never works because they know him by now." I mean if we get another cast member impersonated like Becket or Gates, if they don't bring up saying: "Its 3XK again" instead of: "You did it! Admit it!" Why Bones got so bad, I mean how many times can Pelant do these things before someone just finally shoots him and be done with it. It was like Sloan on Alias, how many times could the guy pull off doing that crap before someone finally ended him. All shows are like that from comedy to drama and TPTB excuse: "The best characters never change." Yeah but people do remember things, duh!

I'm still wondering when did Espo become such a douche bag in re: to Castle? He is pissy towards him and is the 1st one to believe the worst about this man that's supposed to be his friend. 

The writers are falling over each other w the contradictions of Espo [and Gates but I'll get to that in a second]. One episode he is battling Ryan for Castle's best man b/c they are that great of friends and the next moment he thinks this man ran out on said wedding ... let his daughter and mother believe he burned alive ... just so he didn't have to marry Beckett?!? Really, b/c telling her that or leaving a note is so difficult. 

Re: Gates ... the writers flip flop on her personality from one episode to the next. Maybe it's b/c Gates is seen only every 3rd episode or so. I still miss Montgomery. At least we saw him almost every episode and he had a boss ora about him. 

• Love 1

Waitaminute. Wasn't it actually Castle who delivered the ransom? So wasn't Kate right when she recognized his movements? Now I'm confused. When did we find out that she was wrong and it wasn't Castle? I thought the whole premise was that he participated in his "disappearance" for reasons he was not going to reveal, not that he didn't participate and his appearances were faked.

• Love 2
Waitaminute. Wasn't it actually Castle who delivered the ransom? So wasn't Kate right when she recognized his movements? Now I'm confused. When did we find out that she was wrong and it wasn't Castle?

Yes, it WAS him in the video in Driven. I think that showed that she did learn, because almost two years later she knew his movements better and could tell it was him.  They never even hinted that he wasn't actually the one to do the drop.

That's not to say that the writers don't suck at continuity though.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

Waitaminute. Wasn't it actually Castle who delivered the ransom?

I don't remember but I think the mob guy said Castle paid him so she was right. The point is she immediately assumed the worst. It's almost like the first time didn't happen. After working with him daily for 4 years & being together for about 6 months she couldn't tell if it was him or not. But now she can spot him in a poor grainy video instantly. We need Castle to be accused one more time to break the tie. So far she's 50/50 in the recognizing Castle on video sweepstakes.