Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Heroes And Villains

• Start Topic

Anna and Elsa return home and Regina faces a tough choice in the wake of the Snow Queen's spell. Meanwhile, Gold's quest puts Hook's fate in jeopardy; and back in the past, an intrusion at Rumplestiltskin's castle has repercussions for the future.
  • Love 1

“Lots of bad things happen to her in it.”

Lots of bad things happen to her in it.

Really, show?  Lots of bad things happen to her in it--how about she does lots of bad things in it?  Huh?  How about that?  Shut up, Henry.  Why was Henry smarter when he was ten?

“The story has me written as a villain.  Villains don’t get happy endings.”  Boo-stinkin-hoo.  You kill lots of people and are never happy with what you have.   Parilla cries very prettily, but I am beyond tired of Regina’s self-pity and complete denial of responsibility for any of her problems. 

Okay, last season Ursula was a “sea-goddess”.  Weren’t comments made about no one having seen her for a 1000 years?  Shouldn’t she be older and more powerful than Rumple?  Why is she minioning for others, now?  How does that even make sense?  Plus, she wasn’t evil--why is she suddenly evil? 

And, wow, did Belle come through this episode.  I don’t know that it will last past the first couple of episodes in 4B, but, for this episode, at least, Belle did the right thing.  Please don’t let her be pregnant.

• Love 14

Au revoir you kooky, crazy and really awesome Arendale sisters.  

Meanwhile Belle finally found some balls.  It won't last long but at least she's not AS spineless.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 9

the greenscreen was horrific this episode, but I liked the episode in spite of it. Lots of loose ends tied up, Belle finally took her head out of her ass and realized who she was married to. All in all, pretty satisfying winter finale. Ready for the baddies in January.

• Love 3

Camelot reference is always apprecieated. 

"Hey grandma" was both cute, funny, and sickening.

Remnants left? Who writes this thing.

Anna is officially my favorite for revealing Rumple's plan.

Belle was finally useful and I could not be happier.

I wonder how the Queens of Darkness ended up in NYC. But I like the whole round-up thing. Can't wait for March!

• Love 5

I enjoyed parts of the episode, and am interested to see the new villains.

Odd camera work during the first scene with Gold and Hook – only half the screen showing half their faces. 

Why does Gold want to go to New York? Because Bae was there?  Maybe NYC is the best place to start if you want world domination…

“La Belle Indifference”: When Belle woke up she didn’t immediately ask about what happened to the curse and if everyone was ok. She just looked happy to have breakfast in bed and pack her suitcase for the trip to NY.  Oblivious thy name is Belle. And, her boobs were pushed way up on her chest when she was chasing the Dalmation puppy – it looked weird.

BUT – great scene between Belle and Gold at the town line.  Robert Carlyle’s acting and expressions were perfect.  I’m looking forward to seeing desperate Gold/Rumple.

Sorry, not sorry, sorry: I’m sorry we won’t see Roland again.  I’m not sorry about losing Robin Hood.  And I’m feeling sorry for Marian who is now stuck with a man who doesn’t really want her.  I guess Will Scarlett will lead the merry men now?

Reminiscent of the half season finale last year Regina rips up something at the town line. 

I guess the hat, apprentice and fairies are forgotten until the writers decide to resurrect them.  

The Sorcerer as author makes sense.

• Love 3

Well that was incredibly rushed. There wasn't even a "previously on Once" clip at the beginning.

Wow. So. Um. We get all of that built up drama about Hook's heart being taken, and the most we get out of him and Emma afterward is a quick hey-let's-shove-this-back-in-so-I-can-go-take-some-shots scene? Not even an "I love you?" Pardon my French, but that's bullshit. Way to build up a storyline and not deliver, writers.

The one good thing I can say about this episode is GO BELLE! You actually do have some self respect! You just gained 100 brownie points in my book.

• Love 20

I love Rumple, the villain always with a back up plan. He is the only reason that I keep watching. I enjoyed Belle finding out the truth, that his power is his true love, and then banishing him from Storybrooke. He needs the challenge. It should never be easy for Rumple. No bullshit redemption for him, unlike Regina. I did laugh when he told Regina that he know about Henry's snooping.

So The Author is now real? Egads. So ridiculous.

My sympathies to Marian stuck with that adulterous self-righteous ass. She deserves better. I hope that she finds a new true love and happy ending where ever she and Roland end up.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

I loved Emma shoving Hook's heart back in, and Hook grabbing Emma and kissing her.  I hated that being cut short so Emma could have a useless scene with Regina and Henry.

I liked Hook showing no fear and telling Rumple that Rumple is a coward.

This is the first time I have ever liked Belle.

• Love 17

Well if Regina and Emma had shots they'd have happily ended up in bed together.

Operation Mongoose is a go!

I have been waiting all season for that moment between Belle and Rumple and it did not disappoint. Belle said all the things I wanted her to say. (Paraphrasing) "Your true love is power. All I ever wanted was you."

I am not sure how I feel about the Robin Hood/Regina stuff. I don't hate Robin like some people do but honestly......<shrug> i do think Regina deserves better.

So did everyone leave Storybrooke?

Rumple....No boys allowed in the Queens of Darkness!

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

God that felt rushed. They reeeeeeally should have made this the two-hour episode. I think basically every plot except Regina’s needed more time.

Liked

• ROBIN’S GONE YAAAAY 
    aj63quF.gif
    #TeamMarian4Life
  • Cruella looks amazing
  • Maleficent's back hooray!
  • Belle finally waking up and growing a spine
  • OuaT ending means Galavant can finally begin. Really looking forward to Galavant!

Didn’t like

• Henry calling Belle “grandma”. Sooo glad she put a stop to that.
  • Massive eyerolls at the contrived “Wait, Mr Gold is Rumplestilstkin?!?” convo between Anna and Emma.
  • Rumple was keeping the dagger in a place Belle could just easily find? Lame.
  • Yet another finale where the Savior plays almost no role in the actual saving
  • Can’t believe Emma chose to go drinking with Regina instead of shagging her boyfriend after he’d almost died.
  • Love 17

I was screaming at my tv for Anna to ask about Gold, and she finally did!

Belle is the hero of this episode. 

There could have been more Snow and Charming. I think they were missing from the screen for about 30 minutes at one point.

I liked Hook showing no fear and telling Rumple that Rumple is a coward.

I especially like that Hook was proven correct. Rumple was scared as Belle forced him over the town line. I wanted him to lose but I was sad for him when he did.  

Edited by InsertWordHere
  • Love 7

"Chocolate!"  Fare-thee-well, Frozen crew.  You were the shot in the arm this show needed.  Wish we could have seen your kick ass battle against Hans, his brothers, and Blackbeard.

Farewell to you, also, Romantic Plot Tumor.  I mean Robin Hood and Marian.  Enjoy life in Maine.  Just avoid Haven, Chester's Mill, Derry, Castle Rock, and Cabot Cove.

Belle's not taking anymore of Rumple's shit.  Good.  But he's assembling the "Queens of Darknesss TM" like a Disney version of Charlie's Angels.  But it's not true "Queens of Darkness TM" without Queen Beryl.  But, Disney doesn't own the rights to Queen Beryl or any of the Sailor Moon franchise, so thank God for that.

Anyone else bothered that Cruella was dressed like she usually is and not like an Enchanted Forest version of herself?  Also, why wasn't Ursula played a fat drag queen?

Well, see you all in March.  Or on the Galavant sub-board.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 4

This episode offended me with its suckitude.

There was just a mish mash of randomness. Why would the showrunners feature Belle in the midseason finale? She's the most boring character on the show.

The Frozen goodbyes were shortchanged. Rumple's plan was shortchanged. Hook/Emma reunion shortchanged.

Did Charming even get a line? I saw Will for a millisecond.

Henry can die in a fire.

Hope Robin stays gone forever and a day.

The hour seemed to take forever because nothing was happening. I am very disappointed, but at least I won't be waiting with bated breathe for the show to return in March.

• Love 6

I think the only thing remotely positive I have to say about this show is way to go Belle.  I am so very disappointed by the whole heart thing.  This show is good at building these stories and poor at delivering the end result.  I could honestly give a rat's ass that Anna is getting married.  

I need to sleep on this.

• Love 2

I realized when Robin crossed the border that I've reluctantly come around.  I want better for Regina than that gigantic jackass Robin Hood.  Let her have a happy ending; but Robin isn't it.

Only disappointing thing about Belle pushing Rumpel across the town line, inevitable that Robin returns.

• Love 1

Did they use up all their energy on the one scene with Rumple and Belle at the town line?  'Cause the rest of that was phoned in.  Like A&E have already moved on to 4B so let's just hurry up and rush through this finale.  I'm not at all anxious for March if they thought that was some great finale cliffhanger.

• Love 2

Just a 'meh' wrap-up overall.  That said, there was WAY too much Robin/Regina moping.  I felt like it was half the episode at least.  Just cross the damn line and get off the screen, already!!  I'm still searching for the Captain Swan footage that must be somewhere on the cutting room floor (why?!).  There was literally no time at all devoted to Killian and Emma talking out what just happened.  Hello?  Kinda a big deal to be missing your heart for several days while being a slave to your mortal enemy.  Still gobsmacked over the complete lack of screen time for any for that...I feel cheated, to be honest.

Belle.  Finally, girl.  Finally.  I actually have an ounce of respect for you now.

Edited by Lieutenant
  • Love 16

Loved Emma putting Hook's heart back. But why did she then go have shots with Regina instead of "drinking coffee" with her pirate?

Loved Belle finally getting a clue and saving the day.

Loved Marian taking the high road. She deserved better than Robin.

The rest just seemed rushed. I mean, seriously, this was supposed to be the Frozen season and then it was just all, "Nice knowing you. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. Literally."

Also, that line about smelling of desperation and gin. Was that directed towards the fans? Because I'm on my second glass of Merlot. I smell like a wino, not a gin drinker! Once again, the writers get things all messed up. ;-)

Edited by sharky
  • Love 7

As much as I'd like to talk about some of the good stuff that happened, I am SO disappointed from the lack of CaptainSwan. Rumple had Hook's heart and was playing him for how many episodes? And we don't even get a conversation between Emma and Hook about everything that he went through? Emma would rather sit and drink with Regina than be with Hook? I'm sure the SwanQueeners are loving that. At least we got to see Emma put his heart back in, even though it made no sense for her to have not done it in the clocktower. And with the 6 week time jump, we'll probably never hear about any of it again.

• Love 12

So glad I lowered my expectations. On the one hand, happy that Hook got his heart back and Emma was the one to restore it. But we really got screwed and not in a good way. Very disappointed in the build up only to have it cut short.

• Love 5

It wasn't a bad episode, but it was disappointing for a finale.  I wish they would have shown Hans and Elsa on the other side of the portal waiting for Anna.  I'm sure we could have gotten a comedic moment where they were saying, "what's taking her so long" and I'm surprised that there wasn't some sort of time frame for them to get across where they would practically have to push Anna into the portal so that she would get back to Arendelle before the portal closed.  Since they showed Rumple after crossing the town line and Anna and Elsa in Arendelle, I would have liked to have seen Robin Hood and family in the real world.  Not sure how I feel about the new villains

• Love 1

That was really, really underwhelming as a mid-season finale, and worked way too hard to set up 4B instead of finishing 4A. Last year's Going Home was MILES better.

I. Don't. Care. About this stupid author storyline. It still makes no sense. And I hate that in their quest to give Regina a happy ending, the writers are destroying one of the basic tenets of the show, which has always been that you have to own the shit you do.

I also soooo don't care about Regina and Robin. She deserves better than the pond scum, and Marian deserves WAY better. What happened to his "I live by a code" stuff? Please let him be run over by a bus in Boston. PLEASE.

The Hook and Gold stuff was super rushed, the denouement was unsatisfying, and Hook needs to stop making threats he can't carry out. It just makes him look like an idiot.

The only good things about the episode were the Frozen-ites, because they're awesome; Regina and Rumple's car exchange, because it was well acted and nicely written (and moments like that make me see red, because we KNOW the writers can write nice stuff like that, they just CHOOSE not to); and Belle and Rumpel (and I will say, THAT one made me sit up and say holy fuck!). But I don't see how Rumbelle could ever come back from this, so whenever they do get them back together, it will feel very contrived. I also like Belle seeing the truth finally, and going all metal on Rumpel, but it still feels like too little too late. (And a meta acknowledgment by the writers that they really screwed the character up.)

Also, I think we have a new nickname for Hook: Half-Minute Man. ;)

• Love 15

This episode was down right confusing, but parts of it were intriguing.

Pros:

* BELLE. I have never liked you more! (or at all, quite frankly)

* Rumple got what he deserves. Love it.

* Ding dong, Outlaw Queen is dead!
* I'm totally digging the Queens of Darkness.

* Frozen epilogue was very nice and welcomed.

* The fact Ursula and Cruella are in the LWM is interesting.

* Rumpbelle in the flashbacks wasn't too bad.

* Belle/Henry "Grandma" scene. Finally!

* Marian is an epic character. I will miss her.

* Cruella's amazing design.

Cons:

* Like I said, this episode was confusing. Plot points were heavily convoluted.

* How the heck was Marian still under the freeze spell? Ingrid died!

* Convenient portal is convenient.

* Emma is in Operation Mongoose now? What the freaking heck?

* The room of empty storybooks made absolutely no sense.

* Robin, leave and never come back. Thank you.

* I sensed signs of another Regina flip flop. Please no.

* Hook's heart plot was wrapped up too quickly and lacked payoff.

* The author crap is the most contrived thing ever in the history of Once. Heart splitting was more practical.

* Rumple's conversation with Regina was superfluous and ate up valuable screen time.

* Triangle of Doom resolution was unsatisfying. Marian deserves so much better.

* Cliffhanger was underwhelming, which I was afraid of.

* More Regina pity parties... like, really? Does her life only surmount to a cheating husband?

I like some of the new places the characters are at development-wise, especially with Belle and Rumple, but this episode had way too much to address in a short time. It's sad that CS got the short straw.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

Okay, whine first: I really, really need for someone to address the Echo Chamber of Lunacy for the nuttiness it is. First off, Henry, lots of bad things did not happen to your mother in the book. She caused lots of bad things for other people. I'm really hoping that the hundreds of potential storybooks are because each person's life has hundreds of different outcomes and thus each "character" can intersect any other "character"'s life in hundreds of different ways because I just cannot. The book is a record of events. The book is a record of events. Henry, in the very first episode of this show, was talking about how all the stories in the book actually happened. That is the whole basis for this show. These characters are real people who had these things really happen to them. If this show gives them the "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way" treatment, it undermines the entire premise of the show.

*ahem*

Now, onto the positive:

Way to go, Belle! When she commanded Rumple over the town line, I actually gasped. And then cheered. Hell. Yes.

I wanted to keep the Frozen crew forever and ever. Emma and Elsa hugging was so sweet and omg I'm going to miss Frozen Swan.

Emma knowing that something was wrong with Hook, Hook grasping her arm as a plea for her recognize that he was not okay, and him telling her to just put his heart in gently while she just shoves it in like she means it?! My Captain Swan loving heart was cheering. And holy moly, that kiss was hot. (I am, however, assuming they had a quick bit of coffee in the back before she went out to drink with Regina.)

• Love 18

So glad I lowered my expectations. On the one hand, happy that Hook got his heart back and Emma was the one to restore it. But we really got screwed and not in a good way. Very disappointed in the build up only to have it cut short.

Let's put it this way.  After this finale, I'm actually okay with a 10 week hiatus.  (I'll probably be in full withdrawal right after New Year's though).

• Love 4

Okay, whine first: I really, really need for someone to address the Echo Chamber of Lunacy for the nuttiness it is. First off, Henry, lots of bad things did not happen to your mother in the book. She caused lots of bad things for other people.

At first I actually thought he was talking about Emma, because bad things legitimately happened to her. (Even though she's only a baby/Princess Leia.)

• Love 5

The best thing about this episode is that it's the last one until March, because it may take that long for me to build up some enthusiasm for this show to combat the show fatigue. Once Upon a Time: aiming to underwhelm.

• Love 8

I've watched every episode, but only once each, so maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought once you cross the town line, you forget Storybrooke and everyone in it--like when Emma and Henry lived in NYC. No?

Ingrid's curse must work differently since Gold retained his memories.  Different villain, different curse, different set of rules.  Convenient for the show writers.

Uh Oh, that means Robin Hood still remembers - and could return?

Edited by Worsel
  • Love 5

I. Don't. Care. About this stupid author storyline. It still makes no sense. And I hate that in their quest to give Regina a happy ending, the writers are destroying one of the basic tenets of the show, which has always been that you have to own the shit you do.

I also soooo don't care about Regina and Robin. She deserves better than the pond scum, and Marian deserves WAY better. What happened to his "I live by a code" stuff? Please let him be run over by a bus in Boston. PLEASE.

I care.  I care a lot.

Okay, I care mostly because it enrages me, and makes me want to discover a latent ability to throw fireballs because it's so mindbogglingly awful and is sucking interesting stories as well as intelligence from actual decent characters, but I still care.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 5
Ding dong, Outlaw Queen is dead!

Yeah right. I wish, but there's totally no way! You know Robin will end up back in Storybrooke. You just know (not least because he was in the 4B preview).

The best thing about this episode is that it's the last one until March, because it may take that long for me to build up some enthusiasm for this show to combat the show fatigue. Once Upon a Time: aiming to underwhelm.

Yeah...I think I'm officially over the show. I'll watch in March...probably...but I can't swear to it.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 5

Yeah right. I wish, but there's totally no way! You know Robin will end up back in Storybrooke. You just know (not least because he was in the 4B preview).

I didn't notice that... well, I'll go cry now.

Can't be said enough but YAY BELLE!  I am actually looking forward to seeing what happens with her for the first time in forever.

I never thought I'd say this, but she was the best part of the episode hands down. That was the episode's true saving grace.

Yeah...I think I'm officially over the show. I'll watch in March...probably...but I can't swear to it.

For me, the worse this show gets, the most entertaining it is to discuss and dissect it.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4
I'm on the fence on this one. It was a bit disappointing. I don't care about Operation Mongoose. I just don't.

So much word. There is just no redeeming how utterly nonsensical it all is. And having Emma on board? Ugh. Easily  the worst part of a frankly not-so-great episode.

Also, I was holding out some  hope for the new villains, but not thrilled that they are already coming off as self-pitying. 

Can't be said enough but YAY BELLE!  I am actually looking forward to seeing what happens with her for the first time in forever.

Also the goodbyes between  Emma and Elsa. I got a little misty. Going to miss them so much. 

Everything else was super meh. 

Edited by Beezel

I think someone needs to go check on Charming. He was presumably left at the house with Henry, but next we see Henry he's running into Emma and Regina alone with tales of exploring the big, dangerous house that is so far away it took multiple people an entire hour to get to a couple episodes ago. Did Charming get sucked into the door from Arendelle so he could go to the wedding?

If Belle "defeated" the dark one, doesn't that make her the new dark one? I kept waiting for a shot of the dagger changing from Rumplestilskin to Belle.

Probably not. She has to kill the previous dark one with the dagger to gain his powers.

• Love 3

BUT – great scene between Belle and Gold at the town line.  Robert Carlyle’s acting and expressions were perfect.

My sister's boyfriend watched it with us.  He's never seen the show and asked a lot of questions but even he said Robert was in a different acting league than everyone else. 

• Love 7

I think this episode was underwhelming. There were too many things to wrap up and check off. The artifact from Camelot screamed deus ex machina the minute we were shown it on screen. The Frozen people ought to have gone back last episode, and we didn't even get to see Hans getting his butt kicked, or the Wedding!! 

I liked Belle for the first time since Skin Deep. Her actions at the Clocktower, and what she told Rumple at the town line were the best. I wish she had commanded Rumple not to harm Storybrooke or its people ever again. 

The heart plot and CS were sooo shortchanged. Why show Emma noticing something different about Hook, but not have her do anything about it? Stupid. Anna helped defeat Ingrid, and Belle saved Hook from Rumple.  And this half-season was supposed to focus on Emma. All she did was accept her powers, I suppose. And the minute after she shoves Hook's heart into his chest, she runs to Regina to have shots with her. They show her prioritizing Regina over Hook yet again. We didn't get an ILU. She literally said nothing to Hook after his ordeal? Nothing to talk over?  

So, Ursula and Cruella are in the Real World? More people left the EF than stayed in it. The evil trio look great, though! 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 7

My sister's boyfriend watched it with us.  He's never seen the show and asked a lot of questions but even he said Robert was in a different acting league than everyone else. 

Yes, he is a main reason why I watch the show although I've always had a soft spot for fairy tales since I was young.

• Love 4