Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Meet us in the Laundry Room

Cool, thanks!  I'm on the west coast too, and I can stand to wait until midnight to save as much money as I'll save by cancelling the ever rising costs at DTV!

I did see that You Tube is also selling them for $1.99 an episode, not sure if the time frame is the same, but I'll probably just use Amazon and get the season pass.

I think I'll cancel DTV on Wednesday, so at least I'll get one more episode live.  Ha.

Also there is something called Sling TV, which carries several channels including FX and AMC, their fee for that package deal (50 or so channels I THINK streaming LIVE) is $25 a month.  It's also just month to month, so not only cheaper, I think they stream live.  I need to check that one out.  https://www.sling.com/service?mkwid=sfKIMYv17|pcrid|185089868544|pkw|sling|pmt|e|pdv|c&cvosrc=ppc.google.D_B_COM_General Terms_Brand_Alpha_sling&cvo_crid=185089868544&matchtype=e&campaign=D_B_COM_General Terms_Brand_Alpha_sling&group=sling&cvo_keyword=sling&gclid=CjwKEAjwh9PGBRCfso2n3ODgvUcSJAAhpW5oh1z1ObsltVG3mwVqBLmsOxQYwfkJFwtIBXj1dElf4BoCxM7w_wcB 

So, cheaper than Amazon for the season if I'd like to get the other channels too. 

This disconnecting from cable and sat channel thing is something I should have done ages ago.

Edited by Umbelina
7 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Cool, thanks!  I'm on the west coast too, and I can stand to wait until midnight to save as much money as I'll save by cancelling the ever rising costs at DTV!

I did see that You Tube is also selling them for $1.99 an episode, not sure if the time frame is the same, but I'll probably just use Amazon and get the season pass.

I think I'll cancel DTV on Wednesday, so at least I'll get one more episode live.  Ha.

Also there is something called Sling TV, which carries several channels including FX and AMC, their fee for that package deal (50 or so channels I THINK streaming LIVE) is $25 a month.  It's also just month to month, so not only cheaper, I think they stream live.  I need to check that one out.  https://www.sling.com/service?mkwid=sfKIMYv17|pcrid|185089868544|pkw|sling|pmt|e|pdv|c&cvosrc=ppc.google.D_B_COM_General Terms_Brand_Alpha_sling&cvo_crid=185089868544&matchtype=e&campaign=D_B_COM_General Terms_Brand_Alpha_sling&group=sling&cvo_keyword=sling&gclid=CjwKEAjwh9PGBRCfso2n3ODgvUcSJAAhpW5oh1z1ObsltVG3mwVqBLmsOxQYwfkJFwtIBXj1dElf4BoCxM7w_wcB 

So, cheaper than Amazon for the season if I'd like to get the other channels too. 

This disconnecting from cable and sat channel thing is something I should have done ages ago.

I recently cut the cable TV cord and now use Sling TV through my Roku Express and like it a lot. With tax it's $27.49 a month and as you mentioned there's no contract. I got Sling because I wanted to watch FX and CNN live -- yes, it carries the channels live and also gives you access to certain archived shows and certain episodes. 

Through Sling, FX has previous episodes of this season that you can rewatch, but it takes them several days to make them available. "Midges" is not available yet, although I think "Pests" was up by this time last week.

In addition, through the Roku I can access FandangoNOW and could buy either a "season pass" for S5 of "The Americans" for $20.99 or each episode separately for $1.99. Each episode is there "as it becomes available" and all 3 for this season are there now. Not sure how soon they are available after first airing. Previous full seasons 1-4 are also available on FandangoNOW, and you can buy full season or certain eps.

Also, Sling/FX now once again has episode 1 of the show "Taboo" available (of 8 for its first season) and if you didn't watch that series, Umbelina, I recommend it. (It's not on FandangoNOW yet, probably because it's a joint production with BBC One and thus lots of distribution deals to cut, though maybe it will be soon since it got a renewal for S2.) Right now episodes 2 and 3 have disappeared from Roku/FX but as ep1 was also gone for a while and just got reposted maybe those two will come back as well. I don't really understand how that works with Sling, but overall I'm quite happy with it. 

Edited by RedHawk
Clarity and extra info

Thanks.  I think I'll go with the Amazon season pass once I disconnect, for the Americans.  After that, we'll see.  I got Chromecast for Christmas, just haven't set it up yet, but it's got some cool features so if I'm on Google Chrome I can "cast" whatever it is I want to watch (say The Americans from Amazon or YouTube or Sling) to the TV, and just minimize that and still use the computer with Firefox.

I'll figure it all out.  Ha.

Today I was playing ‘Heads Up’ with a group of friends. One of my teammates, a 40-something year-old black man, got ‘Keri Russell’ as one of his words. And I got terribly excited. 

She plays the Russian spy mom on The Americans...She was Felicity!

Blank stare...

Needless to say, we didn’t win the point. 

• Love 1
On 1/24/2018 at 6:14 PM, crgirl412 said:

Need to Know by Karen Cleveland.  People are saying that if you like the Americans, you will like this book!!!   

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/562317/need-to-know-by-karen-cleveland/9781524797027/

The Library finally sent this my way. A fairly quick read, and if nothing else it shows the drip, drip, drip of deceit that turns into a torrent of "not having a choice."

12 hours ago, curbcrusher said:

The Library finally sent this my way. A fairly quick read, and if nothing else it shows the drip, drip, drip of deceit that turns into a torrent of "not having a choice."

Oooohhhh!!!!  Did you like it? 

20 hours ago, crgirl412 said:

Oooohhhh!!!!  Did you like it? 

I liked it, it was a quick read. In some ways it was a predictable story, but then I for the most part liked the way the author developed the story. After getting done, I'm not real sure I like the way it ended. It presents an interesting world with Russian Illegals being fairly prevalent. I did really like the slippery slope that was presented in how the American was compromised by the Illegal, and kept getting deeper.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, curbcrusher said:

I liked it, it was a quick read. In some ways it was a predictable story, but then I for the most part liked the way the author developed the story. After getting done, I'm not real sure I like the way it ended. It presents an interesting world with Russian Illegals being fairly prevalent. I did really like the slippery slope that was presented in how the American was compromised by the Illegal, and kept getting deeper.

Thanks for the review!!

For those who also watch Homeland: Elizabeth Jennings and Carrie Mathison are tough, well trained women who play for opposing teams; which one survives an encounter (physical) or a long game (mental)? Are they fairly evenly matched?

(edited)
23 minutes ago, suomi said:

For those who also watch Homeland: Elizabeth Jennings and Carrie Mathison are tough, well trained women who play for opposing teams; which one survives an encounter (physical) or a long game (mental)? Are they fairly evenly matched?

Homeland is a much more realistic show, it's hard for me to compare them.

If I compared Elizabeth to another spy character?  It would be Sydney Bristow from Alias, by the way, a character Keri Russell once said she wanted to play.  On a round table with both of them, she was talking about how fun it would be to fight on screen and learn new languages all the time, and Keri said she was so jealous of all the cool stuff Jennifer got to do.

Now?  She's doing it.  From that match up, in fighting, I think Syd has more skills, in languages sounding believable, Syd's got her beat hands down, Keri can't even manage two of them.  In kills?  Elizabeth wins, she's a bloodthirsty character.  As far as home-life, for the most part Syd wins there too, but Liz has her beat in the child bearing area, oops, not really!  Syd had kids at the end, that ones a draw!  In the coworker field, and friends area, Syd also wins.  As far as causes?  Syd's is still going, but who knows?  The way things are right now in the world, maybe Elizabeth's is still going as well.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2

Not to be mean, but, although Homeland may be a fine show (I used to be a fan), I actually had the same opinion of Claire Danes acting as I did the actress who plays Paige.  No real difference, imo.  lol  I never bought her as a real CIA agent  Too childish and impetuous.   And much of her storyline was preposterous, imo. I never watched Alias, but, it sounds amusing. 

Do you remember Pam Greer (Foxy Brown) movies?  She was one tough lady.  lol  I didn't see them back when I was a kid, for obvious reasons, but, only many years later.  There are pretty good and she is tough!

This happened just this week in Russia!!  I'm an RN and can't even fathom how this could even happen in 2018 in a modern hospital!!

Russian woman, 27, dies in excruciating agony after she was 'embalmed alive' with a formaldehyde-based drip instead of being put on saline in a horrific medical blunder.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5590893/Russian-woman-embalmed-alive-instead-saline-drip-horrific-medical-blunder.html

If you're a DC resident and are driven crazy by the fact that this show's outdoor scenes just do NOT look like DC, even in the '80s, come sit by me! Eh, I've been dealing with it for 5 seasons already. They did show my neighborhood on the map when discussing Sophia's walk to Armand's (a real place!), so that was exciting. 

If anyone is interested, in the recent episode thread someone mentioned P&E not being able to go to a Russian restaurant. As far as I recall, there were none in '80s DC. Today we've had The Russia House for many years (and it's not far from the travel location agency at Dupont Circle!) and also, even closer to the Circle, we have Mari Vanna, a restaurant I highly recommend. My friend and I usually eat there once a season and chat about the show, fully aware that the whole place is probably bugged. ;-) The staff is friendly (although reserved) and the food is wonderful.
https://www.russiahouselounge.com

http://www.marivanna.ru/washington/

Edited to say that there WAS a Russian restaurant in DC in the 1980s (not sure how long into the '80s), and in fact it was in my neighborhood, and about 17 blocks north of the Soviet Embassy on Wisconsin Ave. 

From the Washington Post, Sept 21, 1980:
Rosy walls and violin music, caviar with bliny and vodka with strawberries -- such are the touches that set the Serbian Crown apart from the crowd of Washington's elegant restaurants. The menu overlaps with French but is largely Russian and Yugoslavian; its offerings range from earthy ground meat kebabs -- cevapcici -- and stuffed cabbage to sophisticated kulebiaka of salmon and veal Orloff. Although the list of hors d'oeuvres is tempting, particularly the caviars with or wthout bliny, main dishes are more satisfactory, notably fish wrapped in pastry -- pate de sole Vladimir for one person, or kulebiaka for two people. Lamb is also excellent here, wither the filet with tarragon or the rack of lamb with a border of very good vegetables. End with apple strudel, tart and flaky, for the main dessert alternative is something insultingly called Russian cake, with canned fruit cocktail. Service at the Serbian Crown is moody and erratic; it is the main dishes of this restaurant that show the best of Russian character. Serbian Crown 4529 Wisconsin Ave., NW. 9ll-6787. D $10.95-$15. D daily. Ae,cb, D, MC, V. Rervations required. Parking in rear. Full bar service.

(Note that they call the service "moody and erratic"! HA! And check out those 1980 prices! it was considered upscale and expensive at the time.)

This is an article about the second location of Serbian Crown, which opened in Great Falls, VA, (not that far from P&E's home!) in 1980 and closed about 5 years ago after 40 years in business. I ate there once years ago and enjoyed it; the service was professional and excellent, most servers were middle-aged or older men.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/magazine/1980/01/20/serbian-crown-ii-colvin-run-road-at-walker-road-great-falls-va-759-4150/fbab3563-71f4-430a-bd73-df5549483546/?utm_term=.7437bc78251a

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1

I'm trying to figure out which drama I will watch when this show wraps up.  I can't even think of one that compares, even with the bizarre turn of events over the last couple of seasons.  I wonder if there is something on one of the pay channels like Showtime.  I gave it up a few years ago.  Any suggestions?  I'm not a Game of Thrones kind of person. 

I'll have have to look into them. Well except one.  Long story. 

I adore Streep (HBO, right)  and I've been planning to get Netflix.  I guess it's time. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Directed here by a mod in case anyone wants information on watching The Americans on Eastern Time if you are in another time zone: 

I watch on my computer, and when you search for a channel by name (use "Find" when you are displaying "All Channels") you get all the options.  For FX in my area, it is 53 for FX-W, 665 for FXHD-W, and there is also FX TV GO.  TV GO for FX is always on Eastern Time, so you can watch the show as it airs on the East Coast.  Most TV GO channels are the same, except news, which are live everywhere.  I also can get TV GO on my iPod with the Xfinity app. Good luck! 

So, JJJ, are you going to join the party here after the finale wraps up?  I'm Eastern time and will be here, though, I will want to watch it a second time, after the first round ends. I think that I'll just read and make comments during the commercials on the second run.  It appears that the episode thread opens up for comments immediately after the show airs. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is hysterical.  Have you seen any of these You Tube videos of fans watching the show?  Pretty funny.  This girl is very ANXIOUS and I think I'm worse than her!

This really is a riot, and I was not expecting to like it.  But yup, her reactions are mine!  "Go Philip, get out of there, get out of there, get out of there <shot of Father Andrei> I don't care as much about the Father.  Sorry, Father.  Sorry.  But, Philip, PHILIP!" 

• Love 4

Ha ha, I love this woman's video.  

I, too, was like "I don't care too much about the Father, sorry -- TAKE OFF THAT COAT, PHILIP!"

And the fact that Oleg v. Stan was basically good guy v. good guy -- who need to get on the same page!  

• Love 1

Soooo psyched--just printed out my receipt for the Finale Viewing Party tomorrow night in Greenwich Village! Anybody else going? I plan to wear red just as I did to the same theater to see THE DEATH OF STALIN (which BTW is a hilariously dark brilliant work by Armando Ianucci that is a must-see if you want to get your head around the kind of mindset Nadezhda and Mikhail grew up in). It'll be great to watch with fellow fans.

2 hours ago, Carolyn Marie said:

Soooo psyched--just printed out my receipt for the Finale Viewing Party tomorrow night in Greenwich Village! Anybody else going? I plan to wear red just as I did to the same theater to see THE DEATH OF STALIN (which BTW is a hilariously dark brilliant work by Armando Ianucci that is a must-see if you want to get your head around the kind of mindset Nadezhda and Mikhail grew up in). It'll be great to watch with fellow fans.

Oh no, I'm not near there, but, tell us more about it.  What kind of place is it?  How many fans? Is it televised? 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Carolyn Marie said:

You are so lucky!  I predict screaming!  And a few "Nooooooooooooo"s! 

Wow, NYC is ON IT:  (and it's sold out, of course!)

http://www.splitscreensfestival.com/event/farewell-comrades-the-americans-finale-viewing-party/

"The series finale will be shown live on the big screen at IFC Center, followed by a freewheeling audience discussion of the season, moderated by New York magazine TV critic Matt Zoller Seitz, Vulture TV columnist Jen Chaney and TV Critic Alan Sepinwall. "

ETA:  updated with a new link that includes Alan Sepinwall.  Again, wow! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, jjj said:

You are so lucky!  I predict screaming!  And a few "Nooooooooooooo"s! 

Wow, NYC is ON IT:

http://www.ifccenter.com/films/special-event-the-americans-viewing-party-fx/
  "The series finale will be shown live on the big screen at IFC Center, followed by a freewheeling audience discussion of the season, moderated by New York magazine TV critic Matt Zoller Seitz and Vulture TV columnist Jen Chaney." 

You are so lucky to be able to attend this! It will be TOTALLY crazy during this finale.  To be with other fans.....I'm going to see if they have one near me. 

Please post as to what happens. I'll likely just party with the Anyone, but Philip fan and the people on these boards. lol

• Love 2
(edited)

Sepinwall, yay! He loves the show but he asks the tough questions too and pulls on dangling plot threads.

The theater used to be the Waverly, where ROCKY HORROR got its start, and is housed in a 200+ year old building that ironically used to be a Quaker meeting house. It's their biggest auditorium but it only holds maybe 200 people so frankly I'm surprised they didn't choose a bigger venue like a YMCA or college event space. Must be an FX thing.

ETA: It holds officially 205 people.

ETA 2: Still tickets available for this event in the same space with the Js: http://www.splitscreensfestival.com/event/the-americans-the-final-debriefing/

Edited by Carolyn Marie

WHAT? Only 200 people? OMG.....it'll be packed.  Will they have more than one showing?  How will you get there?

I predict my nerves with this finale will be like that of watching this movie from long ago. (Not Without My Daughter.)  I recall how I was on the edge of my seat for most of it.  AND, it's ironic that the star of this move, also stared in another tv show featuring Matthew Rhys.  Brothers and Sisters.

15 minutes ago, Carolyn Marie said:

Sepinwall, yay! He loves the show but he asks the tough questions too and pulls on dangling plot threads.

I read about at least one plot thread that will be left dangling (from a previous season), and will note that over in the spoiler thread.  

• Love 1
On 4/12/2018 at 1:02 PM, RedHawk said:

If you're a DC resident and are driven crazy by the fact that this show's outdoor scenes just do NOT look like DC, even in the '80s, come sit by me! Eh, I've been dealing with it for 5 seasons already.

The Chicago of The Good Wife looked an awful lot like Brooklyn, too -- for seven seasons of 22 (increasingly eye-rolling) episodes each.  ;-)

omg I've never felt so much nervousness and anticipation for a series finale. From last week to today, I've basically done nothing but think about this show, and I'm super excited to see how it ends but super dreading the end at the same time.  

• Love 2

I am like the girl in the YouTube video -- I am ready for it to be over (she even said she was ready for someone [any main character] to be killed, but "NOT PHILIP", said she; for me it is NOT OLEG).  You are all great posters and add SO MUCH to the experience of watching this show.  I do not know one person IRL who has been watching this, so this is my 'hood for television watching.  This is the only show I watch in real time except for news, so the end frees me up for the summer!  No more scheduled watching of anything.    

• Love 4

Me either.  I've inquired from friends, that I normally consider pretty normal and intelligent, if they watch the show and  and they appear to never having heard of it......I am just disappointed in them.  lol I know it sounds crazy. 

CAROYLN MARIE, when are you going to the venue to watch the show?

(edited)

Are any of you going to participate in the Live Chat?  I'm thinking that it may be too nerve racking for me. I may have to hop on to the regular START thread after the finale is over. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
(edited)
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Are any of you going to participate in the Live Chat?  I'm thinking that it may be too nerve racking for me. I may have to hop on to the regular START thread after the finale is over. 

Totally.  I have one line ready to post when it is time for it, because I am so sure there will be a reason to post it.  Yes, it will be nerve-wracking!!!  I only plan to post during commercial breaks.  

13 minutes ago, Carolyn Marie said:

Here’s the theater, where the trains practically run into the basement 

853118E7-FDC0-4FC1-8127-C957C44937AB.jpeg

So excited for you!  And us! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Carolyn Marie said:

In the theater! Slowly filling up. I have my red blouse and sweater and my mom’s flag pin from the Bicentennial. People are discussing Renee and Henry theories. Everyone is excited to be here.

Last night on Jimmy Kimmel, Keri Russell said that she and Matthew Rhys were going to watch the finale with an audience. It could just be with a group of friends, but maybe they will be at your theater! 

Enjoy the evening. It sounds like great fun. 

ETA - just saw a picture of Ms Russell on twitter and it appears that she is in LA. So she won't be with you. Still, you are with fellow comrades! 

Edited by hellmouse
  • Love 2