Type keyword(s) to search

Jamal Lyon: The Artist

Actionmage
  • Start Topic

And a young boy dressing like that doesn't make him transgender, crossdresser or even gay.

Given that it's based on a real life experience in Lee Daniel's life and he is not either of the first two rings true to me.

So glad for Jussie, I used to watch that sitcom all the Smolletts did back in the day, too bad it didn't last long. 

How long until Journee Smollett shows up as Cookie's manipulative niece. Or hell, since this is Empire, she will show up at the end of the season as Luscious illegitimate daughter come to get her inheritance. You know Lee Daniels has already called her.

Edited by JBC344

And a young boy dressing like that doesn't make him transgender, crossdresser or even gay.

My grand-nephew went through a phase when he was around 3 or 4 where he loved dressing in his older sister's (about a year and a half older) princess dresses.  My niece didn't make any fuss one way or another and he stopped on his own.  So you're right about that.

He's my favorite right now.  I think it was brave to make him gay, even though they messed on "gay does not means transvestite, and vice versa".

I don't think a man dressing like a woman makes him a transvestite plenty of young gay males in Atlanta walk around in women's clothing but they will be quick to tell they aree still men

If that is Mr. Smollet's voice on "Good Enough"? He can sing Sesame Street songs or gibberish to me, his pick. It's very nice to listen to, even as the lyrics and the flashbacks combined to make me teary.

Amen, and I love the duets with him and the actor who plays Hakeem, those guys are crazy talented.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 2

Okay, I need Luscious to leave Jamal be. The scene where he tries to blackmail Jamal into the closet? I'm surprised I have teeth! I wanted a scene with Michael where Jamal tells Mike what's up with Luscious. I hope we get one next week. Jussie cries pretty, but I'm already tired of Lu making him cry. Over. It.

I did love Cookie's yelp of happy surprise at Leviticus. She loves her boy.  Unfortunately, she neither calls or knocks at his house, so I'd think about moving to somewhere a little bit harder for Mom to drop in! *g*

I am still loving the brotherly bond between Jamal and Hakeem. I hope it survives their parents and Andre and Rhonda.

• Love 3

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the last relationship standing.

I certainly hope that it is. Also I am confused because of the posts. Is Jussie Smollett gay in real life or no?

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 1

I certainly hope that it is. Also I am confused because of the posts. Is Jussie Smollett gay in real life or no?

He keeps his private life private, but judging from his Instagram account, I would say no.

Am I the only one who wonders how it is that Jamal hasn't been outed already, given that he's openly living with a man and has an equality symbol tattooed on his arm?

I wonder if it's because Jamal is on the quieter side, and doesn't really like to be apart of the spotlight. Plus I think that even though Lucious is very famous that his kids really aren't celebrities yet. ( Even though Hakeem became more known after his comments about President Obama) I don't think that they are the type of celebrity kids that have paparazzi following them everywhere. At least not yet. I don't think the public really knows much about any of them right now.

Andre is not a celebrity and Hakeem and Jamal are just starting to try and break into the music business as artists. I'm not sure but I don't think that either Hakeem/Jamal have ever really released an album? Or maybe at least not an album that became really big.

I think that a lot of people that work for Empire Records know that Jamal is gay, but I think it's still something that a lot of the public doesn't know yet.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

He keeps his private life private, but judging from his Instagram account, I would say no.

Thanks, I was confused given the discussion in one of the episode threads. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, my nephew is gay. The guy is so damn talented it would not have shocked me either way.

My eyes!  I went on google to see if I could find a shirtless pic of Jussie to see if the equality tattoo is real, and I found one that claims to be him, totally frontally nude.  Eek!

Rule 34, dude, Rule 34.  Ignore it at your own risk!

• Love 2

My eyes!  I went on google to see if I could find a shirtless pic of Jussie to see if the equality tattoo is real, and I found one that claims to be him, totally frontally nude.  Eek!

Thank you for the tip.  Not to be skeevy but I thoroughly enjoyed those pictures.  I was under the impression that Jussie was gay in real life.  No definitive proof.  Maybe I am wrong.

This is funny because yesterday someone actually said to me that the best way to find out if someone is gay is to look at their instagram, especially who they follow.

So based on that, I honestly think Jussie Smollet may or may be; there is evidence pointing both directions.  But I think the actor playing Michael, Rafael de la Fuente, definitely is.  

Doesn't really matter though.  I think outside of Taraji and Terrence, they are the best actors on the show.  

Edited by Tiger

I'm curious on what in Jussie's instagram account screams "straight"?  I believe I saw his twitter account and it was mostly filled with pics of the show and just normal behind the scenes stuff, and pics with friends.  For me I was leaning toward gay just because of the equality tattoo and being best friends with Raven Symone.  I love Raven but I don't see her being the best friend of a straight man.  Or I should say that I don't see a straight man being best friends with Raven Symone.  

I vaguely remember a few years ago, before Raven Symone officially came out, that she and Jussie were "dating", in such a way that they were each other's beards.  

Thank you for the tip.  Not to be skeevy but I thoroughly enjoyed those pictures.  I was under the impression that Jussie was gay in real life.  No definitive proof.  Maybe I am wrong.

I spent my Sunday afternoon tracking that pic down, and hot damn!  I also enjoyed those pictures, lol!

• Love 3

Jamal is one of my favorite characters on the show in general and my favorite son in particular. Jussie Smollett is perfect for the part.  His sexuality doesn't matter to me-his performances do and so far, so great. Jamal's  talented, smart, sensitive and gorgeous. Jamal also happens to be gay, which his mama Cookie has no problem with; his father Lucius, otoh, is another story, to put it mildly, whether he threw him in the trash as a child to punish him for playing dress-up or threatening to disown him if he came out on the same day as Jamal's brother Hakeem's concert, upstaging Hakeem in the process. Regarding the latter, instead of giving in to Lucius, Jamal should have confided in Cookie, who not only would have put Lucius on blast, she might have threatened to snitch on him to the Securities & Exchange Commission, killing his plan to take Empire Records public if he ever tries to blackmail Jamal again.

As for whether Jamal was a coward for doing what Lucius wanted, I don't think Jamal's problem is cowardice-it's a lack of confidence. Jamal should not let Lucius' ignorance and cruelty get to him anymore. So what if Lucius is paying Jamal's bills? After the trashcan incident, which probably scarred Jamal for life, that's the least Lucius can do. I believe that Lucius' supporting Jamal is much more about covering his own ass than doing right by Jamal. Since Lucius doesn't want his openly gay son on his label, Jamal should go to another one. Lucius' refusal to accept Jamal for who/what he is should and ultimately will backfire. If Lucius was as smart as he thinks he is, then he would know better than to piss off a large demographic with huge amounts of disposable income, aka the gay community.  If the truth comes out (pun intended) about why Jamal left his own family's label because of Lucius' prejudice, it would be a PR nightmare for Lucius and the label, which would serve him right.  Millions of gays might decide that if Lucius' gay son isn't good enough for Empire records, then their "gay" money isn't good enough either.  

On the personal front, Jamal and his boyfriend Michael are cute together. Hopefully they'll last and become successful enough to get a bigger place with better locks so that people-like, say, Cookie-can't barge in unannounced.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

Lu overplayed his hand going to the I-pay-for-everything well. For a second, I thought Lucious' grin was that Jamal had passed some "man test", but no. Now I am scared for Jamal because Lu is vile enough to poison the well too. The teeny venues that Lucious mocked at the estate are going to not take Jamal anymore, I have a feeling. No one in the easily travelled vicinity around Manhattan is going to "be available" to Jamal. 

If that turns out true, then Lucious just made an error. Making the singer/songwriter son angry, giving him nothing to lose and everything to gain, and his business rivals a potential weapon to use against Lu. Cookie may be loyal, but if Lucious was trying to beat "the gay out", she and he will go around on that. She may even encourage Jamal to strike out at another label or see this as her second chance to make an empire.

I was so happy that, despite the misgiving, Michael was standing with Jamal. Granted, not hard to be unified in front of your biggest critic, but still. He didn't have to, but he did.

I also liked that Jamal was aware of how even doing little things, like playing Puma/Dwayne's song, was allowing himself to play Cookie and Lucious' game, which was apparently a bit addictive. Seeing Jamal with a fire in him is potentially going to be fantastic!

• Love 1

"That's the bedroom. Where the gay love happens" -- might have been my favorite line of the episode.  Jamal finally taking the gloves off with Luscious is AWESOME.

I do want to know a little more about Michael at this point.  Andre and Hakeem might not have the most traditional (or functional) personal lives, but their relationships are a little bit better developed than Jamal/Michael.  I did like Michael being loyal enough to pack up without question when Jamal indicated it was time to go -- after Luscious' threat last week to cut Jamal off if he didn't stay in the closet, I wonder if they were at least a little prepared for this scenario. 

• Love 3

"That's the bedroom. Where the gay love happens" -- might have been my favorite line of the episode. 

I do want to know a little more about Michael at this point.  Andre and Hakeem might not have the most traditional (or functional) personal lives, but their relationships are a little bit better developed than Jamal/Michael.  

It's too bad the latest the show can air is at 9, because it would have been an even better line with language they can use at 10.

They've definitely done a great job of fleshing out Rhonda, and the more time they spend on Hakeem's love interests the less I care.   Michael on the other hand hasn't been developed at all, but I think RdlF is doing a lot of subtle things in his minimal screen time to bring things to the stage that aren't yet on the page.  It doesn't hurt that he's fine as fuck.

• Love 1

Way to go, Jamal! It's about time he put Lucius on notice and on blast, father or not. Jamal shouldn't have to tolerate being disrespected by Lucius anymore, whether Lucius is paying the bills or not. Lucius may try to punish Jamal by interfering with his career, but he's not the only baller in the business by a long shot, as he, Jamal and Cookie know. If Jamal can't book gigs in town anymore, there's always YouTube. It might take a little longer to get another deal, but at least Jamal's music would be heard.

Then there's the Cookie Factor. There's no way in Hell that Cookie would let Jamal's talent be ignored. Cookie will fight tooth and nail to make sure that Jamal gets the credit and the career he deserves and Heaven help anyone who tries to stop her, especially Lucius. As for Michael, while I still have my doubts about him, his leaving with Jamal when he didn't have to showed loyalty on his part and convinced me that Michael loves Jamal, or at least deeply cares for him. I think we'll learn more about Michael sooner than later.

• Love 1

As for Michael, while I still have my doubts about him, his leaving with Jamal when he didn't have to showed loyalty on his part and convinced me that Michael loves Jamal, or at least deeply cares for him.

Michael leaving with Jamal seemed like the reasonable thing to do rather than evidence that Michael is loyal. Lucious made it clear that he didn't invite Michael to dinner. Cookie mostly invited Michael to get under Lucious' skin. And, Luscious is paying the rent in the apartment that Michael lived in. Without Jamal, Michael wasn't welcome in either place.

Edited by RaeSpellman
  • Love 4

I vaguely remember a few years ago, before Raven Symone officially came out, that she and Jussie were "dating", in such a way that they were each other's beards.

Years ago there was a pregnancy rumor about her and the person they said was the baby daddy was Jussie. At the time he was "Jurnee Smollet's brother." However the tabloids said it was him, he was gay and he donated his sperm to his BFF Raven. It was a big deal at the time, she had to give a statement to People denying it.

• Love 1

Michael leaving with Jamal seemed like the reasonable thing to do rather than evidence that Michael is loyal. Lucius made it clear that he didn't invite Michael to dinner. Cookie mostly invited Michael to get under Lucius' skin. And, Lucius is paying the rent in that apartment that Michael lived in. Without Jamal, Michael wasn't welcome in either place.

True, Lucius didn't want Michael to be at the dinner and Cookie only invited Michael to piss Lucius off, but Michael didn't have to go to the dinner and I think he did it for Jamal's sake-and he's scared of Cookie, not that I blame him.  About Michael's leaving with Jamal, IMO it would have been just as reasonable for Michael to have gotten pissed at Jamal for letting Lucius disrespect him at the dinner and confronted him after they left the loft but to Michael's credit, he seemed to know how stressed out Jamal was and didn't want to make him feel any worse, so he left with Jamal instead. Next stop: Cookie's place (I'm guessing).

• Love 1

About Michael's leaving with Jamal, IMO it would have been just as reasonable for Michael to have gotten pissed at Jamal for letting Lucius disrespect him at the dinner and confronted him after they left the loft but to Michael's credit, he seemed to know how stressed out Jamal was and didn't want to make him feel any worse, so he left with Jamal instead.

I must be missing something.

I get the part about Michael potentially being upset with Jamal for not defending him or whatever. Although, if my boyfriend's father was supporting us, even though we are grown ass adults capable of earning our own way, even if I was upset, I might understand the limits of how much said boyfriend could defend me without sacrificing Daddy's support.

Wouldn't an upset Michael still have left? Maybe not with Jamal. Maybe upset Michael would have gone to a friend's house. But, standing on the street Michael asked "where are we going to go?"  Michael explicitly told Cookie that "we do"  care what Lucious thinks regarding Jamal playing at Laviticus. Michael  asked Jamal if he was sure that he wanted to give everything up. Maybe that was about Michael supporting Jamal. But, after originally thinking Jamal and Michael were an adorable couple, I'm becoming skeptical of Michael.

Maybe Jamal is giving more than he is receiving in his relationships with Cookie, Hakeem, and Michael. 

If Michael has reason to be upset with Jamal for not defending him in front of Lucious, he should be upset that Jamal lets his mother call Michael Dora, La Cucaracha, etc. The only time Jamal corrected Cookie was when Michael wasn't around to hear it.

• Love 1

Re the two previous posts, I think that Michael could understand Jamal's reluctance to offend Lucius since he was paying the bills, but up to a point, hence his leaving both the party and the loft with Jamal. Just because Michael didn't get upset in front of Lucius about the way he treats Jamal, that doesn't mean that seeing Jamal suffer doesn't hurt him. Maybe eventually Michael will find the backbone to stand up to Lucius or even Cookie when they insult him again, but given their natures, I wouldn't blame him for putting it off as long as possible. As for the theory that Jamal and Michael might as well have stayed in the loft if they move in with Cookie, I respectfully disagree because it was Cookie's blood, sweat and tears, not to mention 17 years in prison, that helped start the label in the first place, so Cookie's only staying in an apartment that's rightfully hers, the way I see it.

• Love 1

Re the two previous posts, I think that Michael could understand Jamal's reluctance to offend Lucius since he was paying the bills, but up to a point, hence his leaving both the party and the loft with Jamal. Just because Michael didn't get upset in front of Lucius about the way he treats Jamal, that doesn't mean that seeing Jamal suffer doesn't hurt him. Maybe eventually Michael will find the backbone to stand up to Lucius or even Cookie when they insult him again, but given their natures, I wouldn't blame him for putting it off as long as possible. As for the theory that Jamal and Michael might as well have stayed in the loft if they move in with Cookie, I respectfully disagree because it was Cookie's blood, sweat and tears, not to mention 17 years in prison, that helped start the label in the first place, so Cookie's only staying in an apartment that's rightfully hers, the way I see it.

I agree that staying with Cookie is drastically different- Cookie's apartment etc are delayed payments for her years spent away. She EARNED all of that.

As far as Michael defending Jamal- it's best not to get into family business and keep your mouth closed unless you've been around a LONG time. I get the sense that Michael is Jamal's steady boyfriend, but not his life partner or husband- it's not his place to confront Lucious in Jamal's home or Lucious' home, it's just not. Following Jamal's lead was the right thing to do.

• Love 5

You know, I think the first reading of the scene where Jamal wears his mother's clothes as a child was a way of showing his gay tendencies is the first reading that comes to mind, but upon further thought, I believe that it was really to show Lucius' homophobia. Although Jamal turned out to be really gay, it was overkill for Lucius to act that way towards a child. That scene also highlighted how some blacks react towards gay people or children they believe that are gay, which is later on something Jamal would have to deal with and does seeing as that his target audience is black and he's signed onto a rap/hip hip label, the latter which is huge with homophobia. 

I remember my male cousin playing dress up in girls clothing, and then getting upset at the idea of his father finding out. I had to calm him down. I never thought of him dressing up as him being gay, but just having fun, which is what made me look at this scene differently*. My cousin was upset because, regardless if he was having fun, his father would be upset by him wearing girl clothes. Jamal wearing heels and a dress isn't a reflection of his sexuality, but rather, Lucius' reaction and behavior toward gay people and what he perceives as gay. Reactions like that can traumatize kids, especially since we saw what happened to Jamal.

*I don't know if he's even thought of his sexuality because he's like 12 now, but was even younger when this event happened--like 5 more or less. Even if he has, he wouldn't talk to me about that. 

Edited by Nanrad
  • Love 1

I wouldn't say it screams "straight" (or "gay" for that matter).  To me it mutters "None of your business"!  LOL

lol stop dude is gay in real life in thats not a bad thing

its funny how alot of raven symone inner circle   are all gay/lesbian not a bad thing  but its interesting seeing as they tried to pretend he and raven was a couple at one time

btw anyyone who thinks this guys is straight is really naive and i see why some women end up with dl men lol this dude has plenty of pics on tumblr and online clearly showcasing he likes men and there nothing wrong with that but lets not be blind to the obvious it reminds me of how female fans were shocked clay aiken was gay.

• Love 1

My wife, who's much more interested in Jussie than I ever will be, took a look at a few of his photos and said "He's gay".  LOL

I guess since my interests don't run that way, I don' t pick up signals others do.  Still matters not a whit to me -- I like living in a world where whether an actor is gay or not doesn't affect their work, or how popular they are.