Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash and Other Superheroes

Trini
Message added by Lady Calypso

This thread will be open for everyone to come discuss non-spoiler events related to the Crisis that have aired in the other Arrowverse shows that pertain to The Flash. Note that this isn't a replacement thread to openly discuss all of the Arrowverse shows; discussions should remain about The Flash. Anything spoiler related must be taken to our official Crisis thread. Thanks!

• Start Topic

Comic Book.com is doing recaps of the 1990 Flash series, with commentary from John Wesley Shipp!

From the the Pilot recap:

Iris was kind of awful in your episode. Is there any kind of weird cognitive dissonance when you watch Grant Gustin and Candice Patton?

Candice Patton said a very interesting thing at The CW upfronts last year when we found out that we were a go. I hadn't met her; she came to a friend of mine and said, "I'd like to meet John," and she said to this guy who related it to me, "You know, one thing John didn't have when he played The Flash was an Iris." And I thought that showed me that she had watched the first show, first of all, but second of all I thought it was a very smart comment on her part.

• Love 2

Episode 2: "Out of Control"

... That was when we had our first DP and we were really going for a CSI show with a superhuman element attached.

... Right, we were CSI before our time! But we found ourselves up against, for example, they promised me that "We won't have you saving a kid from a burning building on Page Six of the script. It's not going to be that kind of a show.

"Well, by the third episode, I was rescuing a kid from a burning building. Now, it was on Page Eleven, not Page Six, but it was right away that the network wantedt o see the suit and we wanted to keep it really sparing.

• Love 2

Episode 3: "Watching the Detectives"

I think that we had a great chemistry. I like what he did; he grounded me. If they were going to make Barry, as they were, sort of excitable and driven by a lot of passion, Julio  served as the guy to cool him out....

So Julio would come in, but it wasn't decided...the contemporary equivalent of Julio, obviously, is Cisco, but they decided who Cisco is. They decided from Day One who Cisco is, and they have written him consistently.

(edited)

It was really interesting to see the similarities between 1990 Flash, and 2014 Flash. Tina and Caitlyn share several characteristics; as do Julio and Cisco. Also the suit features and the STAR Las van. And it was surprising that they referenced that the Flash is also (too) fast in bed -- in the Pilot! Especially since the CW version took half a season to do that. 

Edited by Trini

The Flash and Cisco (and Arrow and Felicity) show up in the Vixen web series in episodes 3, 4, and 6. Flash is in episode 1 also, but without any lines. Things they mention from the show: Captain Singh, the Pipeline prison, Barry always getting beat up by metahumans, and the Barry/Felicity kiss.

I know they want Cisco naming people to be a thing, but really, there are characters who would name themselves. (In the show, Cisco names Vixen.)

I know they want Cisco naming people to be a thing, but really, there are characters who would name themselves. (In the show, Cisco names Vixen.)

Cisco usually names villains anyway, Vixen should have named herself. Otherwise it was a good  mini show. 

Anyway I hope will show up soon on The Flash.

Edited by WildcardC
(edited)

I'm a third of the way through The Flash (1990), and through there are a few similarities*, the differences really define both shows.

First off, both shows are really a product of their times. The 1990 show came soon after Tim Burton’s Batman (1989) and you can see the influences. The show seemed to want to do a darker, grittier, more serious take on the Flash that would appeal to adults and not kids. Central City is just about as dark and seedy as Gotham. Danny Elfman even did the show’s theme. On the other hand, 2014 Flash tries to be lighter in contrast to the "darker, grittier" trend.

Also, they could only do so much with special effects; and I’m sure the budget was probably smaller than the 2014 show. So the Flash didn’t really fight with many super powered villains, unlike the new show which is committed to having him battle a new “meta” every episode. Most of the antagonists are gangsters, drug dealers, assassins, and mad scientists.

The cast is very different. It’s much smaller with only three regulars, and several recurring supporting characters, mostly in the police department. Only one other person, Tina, knows about Barry’s powers. Tina played the “science helper”/confidant/friend role, but sometimes the love interest. I think the show runners couldn’t decide about Barry and Tina. I think they wanted Barry single, yet they would have scenes of them doing things together like boyfriend/girlfriend — even though they were not.

With John Wesley Shipp being about a decade older than Grant Gustin when he was in the role, the 1990 Barry is immediately more mature and knowledgable than the 2014 version. Without much of a “Team Flash” to lean on, we get to see him be smart and figure things out himself. Barry’s job and the police department are a bigger part of the show.

There’s no tragic childhood and season-long mystery villain, so things are more procedural. Flash is the only superhero in his world. And while they were trying to be more serious, there still a lot of comic book over-the-top-ness, especially with some of the villains.

*Both shows had Barry use his speed instead a centrifuge in the lab.  :-)

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
(edited)

So I hear that in the Arrow season premiere, Barry made an appearance and there was a mention of Central City?

BTW, are the shows lined up to have the crossover episodes line up? Does Arrow Season 4 start 6 months later, too?

Edited by Trini

So I hear that in the Arrow season premiere, Barry made an appearance and there was a mention of Central City?

Barry appeared for a funeral but we don't know whose. All we know is that it's someone Oliver loved.

Arrow mentioned Flash Day in rather sarcastic terms, so the two shows seem to be running more or less on the same timeline again.

Also,

we now know that Barry will still be fighting Zoom six months in the future, but we probably could have guessed that already. 

I saw the scene of Carlos on Legends last night. Interesting. I liked how Carlos made the character different from Cisco but not quite like Reverb. He came off as a different character who was pretending to be Cisco. He really is a wonderful actor, IMO.

• Love 3

Barry Allen got a few mentions in the latest Arrow episode; also the Flash action figure made an appearance. Not to mention Vixen was in the episode too.

Although, I'm not sure how Barry knew that Samantha and William were related to Oliver. He knew Oliver had a son, but he didn't know his identity.

• Love 1

I could have sworn that in one of the Legends of Tomorrow backdoor episodes, Barry said the name "William" in reference to Oliver's son. Maybe Oliver told him more than we saw on-screen before Barry went back in time. So he might have learned more about it. It's also possible that Oliver might have asked him to look out for his kid.

Wasn't Barry present at least one of the times Oliver saw Samantha? I can't recall. Barry could have recognized her.

Now, something I am wondering about-- did they ever actually show Vixen on any of the shows before? Because Oliver mentioned having worked with her "last year" and it was confusing me. I saw all of last year's episodes and don't recall any mention of her.

And of course they had to mention Barry by name and totally give away his ID to Samantha without thinking.

I could have sworn that in one of the Legends of Tomorrow backdoor episodes, Barry said the name "William" in reference to Oliver's son. Maybe Oliver told him more than we saw on-screen before Barry went back in time. So he might have learned more about it. It's also possible that Oliver might have asked him to look out for his kid.

Barry didn't know William's name; he only knew Oliver had a son because of the DNA test he did. I was also thinking that Oliver asked Barry to look out for William, but in the last Arrow episode, Oliver says "Barry must have figured it out", implying he never told Barry.

Wasn't Barry present at least one of the times Oliver saw Samantha? I can't recall. Barry could have recognized her.

He never met her or knew who she was.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ah! Thanks for explaining that.

I used to have a great memory and now I can't remember what I was doing 5 minutes ago.

I started watching the Flash series from the 90s again. I hadn't seen it since it first aired. The special effects are so bad it's hilarious, but I think 90s Barry was better at some of the hero stuff. I mean, he chased down the bad guys and took apart their motorcycles while they were moving in the pilot. I like current Iris much better than the one they had in the 90s series. I did love the bit where Barry was in bed with Iris after getting his powers and Iris was complaining about it being over so quickly and Barry asked if she was disappointed and she said that it was all that build up and then it was over so why even bother-- then it turned out they were talking about a boxing match on TV. LOL.

Edit: I finally remembered to watch the remix of flash from the 90s vs current flash. It's awesome!!

Edited by zannej

So... is The Flash going to be able to be in sync with Arrow? Because the funeral that Arrow teased months ago is happening this week, and Barry is supposed to be there -- late, but present -- and with his speed. But he doesn't have his speed now. So I wonder where this scene fits into continuity? Or will they just re-shoot it to fit what's going on with The Flash?

'The Flash' Movie Finds New Director:

Just weeks after Warner Bros. parted ways with Seth Grahame-Smith, who was to make his directorial debut with the project, the studio has set another newbie for the gig: Rick Famuyiwa, who made a splash with his Sundance sensation, Dope.

The project will retain Grahame-Smith’s script, which he wrote working off of a treatment by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the Lego Movie duo who once were eyeing it as a possible directing vehicle.

The Flash already has a release date — March 16, 2018 — and a star, Ezra Miller, who's portraying the classic hero known as "the fastest man alive."  ...

(edited)

Justice League trailer with footage of Ezra Miller's Flash.

I know they have to add texture, and details, etc. to a costume when it's gets translated to live-action, but I'm not sold on the Flash costume here; it's a little too busy and bulky. And besides that, I don't think the cowl (especially the eye holes) are working well with the contours of Ezra's face. In this instance, I like Grant's cowl better.

Edited by Trini
(edited)

But besides my quibbles about the costume, I like the tone, personality, and VFX they're going for with Movie!Flash. I know they want to keep the universes separate, but it'd be nice if there was a nod to the TV series (1990 and/or 2014) in the Flash film.

-----------

On a different note, it's interesting that in at least 4 versions of a live-action Flash (with 3 Barry Allens) they've never managed to get a blonde for the role.

Edited by Trini

I also think it's interesting that they've turned classic jock Barry Allen into the Wally West/Bart Allen version of the character both in the show and now the movie as well.

Why don't they just use Bart Allen instead? There are three (well, four including Jay, but his story is different) different Flashes you could theoretically use in doing an adaptation of The Flash. No one wants to do Barry the way he was/is in the comics exactly, they keep imposing the personality traits of the other two onto this character.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I also think it's interesting that they've turned classic jock Barry Allen into the Wally West/Bart Allen version of the character both in the show and now the movie as well.

Why don't they just use Bart Allen instead? There are three (well, four including Jay, but his story is different) different Flashes you could theoretically use in doing an adaptation of The Flash. No one wants to do Barry the way he was/is in the comics exactly, they keep imposing the personality traits of the other two onto this character.

This! I said the exact same thing over in the JL movie thread. I just don't understand why they won't use who Barry is, his personality, etc., in live action. Though I think they did in the 90s show.  But still. Though I loved Ezra Miller in the trailer, he came off more as Walky/Bart than Barry.  Just like in this show, Grant's Barry reminds me more of Wally than Wally does!

(edited)

Iris West is now a black woman in the DC Movie universe as well as the the TV universe! (That's probably going to be the only nod to the show in the films...) I guess we can thank Candice and those responsible for her casting for setting the precedent?

The only thing I'm a little worried about is how young both (movie) Barry and Iris are.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Trini said:

Iris West is now a black woman in the DC Movie universe as well as the the TV universe! (That's probably going to be the only nod to the show in the films...) I guess we can thank Candice and those responsible for her casting for setting the precedent? The only thing I'm a little worried about is how young both (movie) Barry and Iris are.

Didn't it start in some version of the comics though? Just relatively recently, but before the TV show.

1 hour ago, FurryFury said:

Didn't it start in some version of the comics though? Just relatively recently, but before the TV show.

I think it was that they made Wally half-black in the comics first, although comic Iris was still white.

From the Carlos V. interview in the Media thread, about the musical crossover with Supergirl:

“We, the actors, don’t know much about it so far. They’re very good about keeping us in the dark about it. I know that the wish is to have as much music as possible in the episodes themselves, but I’m not sure how much will be in there. We’ll just have to see what it will all sound like,” Valdes noted. He also added, “I do currently know the concept behind it (the crossover). It’s very entertaining and it leads to infinite possibilities.”

• Love 1

I just hope that TPTB/producers/writers/etc. are able to work out getting a few extra days (or extra people?) for the musical crossover -- sometimes it can make all the difference.

• Love 1

Black Lightning - DC Comics Superhero Series Receives Pilot Order at FOX from Greg Berlanti

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/09/black-lightning-dc-comics-superhero.html?utm_source=Trending&utm_medium=Trending

I always thought that Black Lightning would guest star on The Flash one day but Im glad he has got his own show. 

Dont mind that its not in the same universe as DCCW shows, I think the universe is big enough already. Glad its FOX, I definitely didnt want CBS or NBC getting it.

The CW at 10: How the Network Found Its Footing With Superheroes & Strong Women

“When we took a deep look at what had made UPN successful, and the WB successful, it was high-concept and genre [shows],” Pedowitz says. “‘Star Trek’ worked on UPN. ‘Smallville’ worked on the WB. You take a hard look at that and say, ‘OK, this works here.’ And you start moving in that direction with your development.”

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-cw-anniversary-mark-pedowitz-arrow-the-flash-1201865900/