Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash and Other Superheroes

Trini
Message added by Lady Calypso

This thread will be open for everyone to come discuss non-spoiler events related to the Crisis that have aired in the other Arrowverse shows that pertain to The Flash. Note that this isn't a replacement thread to openly discuss all of the Arrowverse shows; discussions should remain about The Flash. Anything spoiler related must be taken to our official Crisis thread. Thanks!

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Trini said:

Welp. Request denied. So I guess we'll have to discuss it here.

---

News so far:
Batwoman To Join the CW’s DC Arrowverse For Next Crossover Event

Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW

CW Boss Mark Pedowitz Provides Update On Groundbreaking ‘Batwoman’

Ruby Rose Cast As Batwoman

------

Glad for another female superhero show, but I know next to nothing about the character or the actress, so I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing. And I'm kind of wary of another Gotham-set series without Batman.

I have seen the actress in other roles and she didn't impress me at all with her acting, in fact, I kept wishing her character would go away cause of the acting. I like Ruby as a person but this casting disappointed me.

I'm not really into Batwoman, so I will most likely give this show a pass unless someone I like is added to the cast. 

I don't watch, but I heard that Iris and the Tornado Twins make an appearance in a recent episode of Young Justice: Outsiders, the animated show on DC's streaming service.

Interesting that the Flash's superpowered offspring are on another show, too. Now if the movie side could get it together with the Flash film....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I don't watch, but I heard that Iris and the Tornado Twins make an appearance in a recent episode of Young Justice: Outsiders, the animated show on DC's streaming service.

Interesting that the Flash's superpowered offspring are on another show, too. Now if the movie side could get it together with the Flash film....

Not really surprising since it was revealed that Iris was pregnant with twins in the episode with all the Flashes when the show was on Cartoon Network.

• Love 1

Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) had a short scene in tonight's Arrow: he was being interviewed for a documentary about Green Arrow and vigilantes. There were also shout-outs to Central City, Iris' Flash blog, and Cisco. And Barry's CSI office/lab still exists!

Barry's cameo starts at 0:17 -

15 hours ago, Trini said:

There were also shout-outs to Central City, Iris' Flash blog, and Cisco. And Barry's CSI office/lab still exists!

I haven't seen the episode yet, but what was the shout-out to Iris' blog?

"Arrow" is officially ending after a shortened season 8. So, we won't have to deal with the crossovers focusing on Ollie and his wife. I hope this means there'll be more balanced focus on the remaining shows like the crossover w/Flash in season 1.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, adora721 said:

"Arrow" is officially ending after a shortened season 8. So, we won't have to deal with the crossovers focusing on Ollie and his wife. I hope this means there'll be more balanced focus on the remaining shows like the crossover w/Flash in season 1.

That's assuming they don't call the actors back for the annual crossovers. I wouldn't put it past them, especially if Oliver doesn't die.

I don't watch the crossovers, but I am just glad that we are at the end of the faux mentor/mentee relationship that Barry has with Oliver. It has always been ridiculous that The Flash, an A list DC superhero, relies on advice from third rate superhero like the Green Arrow.

35 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

It has always been ridiculous that The Flash, an A list DC superhero, relies on advice from third rate superhero like the Green Arrow.

I think Barry could learn from Oliver, both in what to do (learn how to fight and not depend on only his powers) and what not to do (use darkness as motivation for being a hero - like, what?).  Oliver could learn from Barry, too.

In the first crossover, there was a good balance of them learning from each other. Somehow it devolved into dreck and became terribly unbalanced. And Barry became Oliver's enabler/supporting cast instead of an equal.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I don't watch the crossovers, but I am just glad that we are at the end of the faux mentor/mentee relationship that Barry has with Oliver. It has always been ridiculous that The Flash, an A list DC superhero, relies on advice from third rate superhero like the Green Arrow.

That’s because in Berlanti’s universe, Oliver/Arrow is an A list hero. He’s Batman-Lite because DC wouldn’t let Guggenheim have Batman. Most of the plots/villains were Batman’s. So it was organic and believable that this Arrow would be Barry’s mentor. Then there’s how a lot of Barry’s characteristics are Wally West’s characteristics.

Don’t get me started on how this show had Barry and Linda Park dating when

in the Comics, she’s Wally’s girlfriend/wife(?)(not sure about the latter.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Trini said:

Also many other stars from DC TV properties.

[This is at least the second time DC has done one of these montages with participation from all the DC/WBTV casts, but yet omitting Arrow cast members. It's SUPER suspicious.]

Another trilogy based on the Arrow-verse characters from Abrams Books; preview of the first book here.

The following is an excerpt from author Barry Lyga’s The Flash: Green Arrow’s Perfect Shot, the first book in the Crossover Crisis trilogy. (Subsequent books will follow Supergirl, Superman, and the heroes from DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.)

When the Green Arrow needs help tracking down a sinister bomber in Star City, speedster Barry Allen is out the door in a flash. But as the Flash saves the day with his friends on Team Arrow, a huge dimensional rift appears over his hometown of Central City — and thousands of refugees with superspeed come pouring out.

Check out the cover, exclusive to EW, above. Green Arrow’s Perfect Shot publishes Aug. 13 and is available for pre-order.

This seems to be set after the Season 4 finale events, and leading up to the 2018 Elseworlds crossover events I think.

Audio series from Serial Box featuring the characters from the TV show coming in November:

https://www.serialbox.com/serials/the-flash

cover_tall-8502dd97-5171-4862-98ea-6235b

The Flash

Written by Gwenda Bond and Christopher Rowe.

In a world turned upside down by dark forces, the Flash is now the fastest rogue alive. But does a hero still live inside him?

In this original story based on the popular The CW TV series, The Flash is now bad to the bone thanks to Lex Luthor’s meddling with the timeline. Now in league with the villainous versions of Arrow, White Canary and Supergirl, Shadow Flash wants to take down the city he once swore to protect. But even as our heroes go rogue, Barry Allen’s friends and loved ones still half-remember a time when Barry wasn’t all bad, and must fight to correct the timeline and restore our heroes to the right side of justice.

Short, online featurette from DC Superhero Girls profiling Barry Allen/The Flash:

Get To Know: The Flash

Sweet-toothed and faster than lightning, The Flash, a.k.a. Barry Allen, is always ready to grab a burrito (or, let's be real, a couple hundred of them) and stop bad guys at the same time.

----

I hope they eventually get Iris West on the show, they've got most of the more well-known DC female characters on there.

The second book in Barry Lyga's crossover trilogy - which I believe is supposed to focus on Supergirl characters - will be out in March 2020:

Edited by Trini

No cover art yet, but Abrams books has the specs for the next Crossover book up: https://www.abramsbooks.com/product/flash-crossover-crisis-novel-2_9781419737398/

The Flash: Crossover Crisis Novel 2
By Barry Lyga

Imprint: Amulet Books
Publication Date: March 17, 2020
Price: $13.99 ....

The can’t-miss crossover adventure continues as Supergirl and the Flash team up to save the multiverse!

While the Flash and Team Arrow closed the dimensional rift looming over Central City, they still have plenty of chaos to deal with: Cisco and Curtis are lost in time, thousands of speedster refugees are now stuck on their earth, and a mad bomber is at large. But when Anti-Matter Man arrives on Supergirl’s doorstep on her home of Earth-38, it’ll be all hands on deck for a team-up of epic proportions to stop him.

Picking right up from Green Arrow’s Perfect Shot, this action-packed follow-up promises to be one of the most exciting reads of the season as Supergirl and Superman join in on the crossover fun. The heroes from DC’s Legends of Tomorrow will feature in the forthcoming third book of this can’t-miss trilogy.

19 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Glad to see Jay Garrick again, even though part of me thinks that his involvement is going to all lead to him being the "Flash" that the Monitor claims has to die to save the world. 

You might be right since it won't be Jessie Quick making the sacrifice because 

in the S8 premiere of "Arrow", Earth 2 was destroyed by the Crisis anti-matter event. That means Jessie and Harrison Wells are dead. Wally will be gutted when he finds out as will Cisco and the rest of team Flash. 

ETA: Also, Earth 2's Barry and Iris are also dead. Yikes!

11 hours ago, adora721 said:

You might be right since it won't be Jessie Quick making the sacrifice because in the S8 premiere of "Arrow", Earth 2 was destroyed by the Crisis anti-matter event. That means Jessie and Harrison Wells are dead. Wally will be gutted when he finds out as will Cisco and the rest of team Flash.

Wow, that's dark! I wonder why they did that on Arrow instead of Flash since that seems like something more relevant to the latter.

Really enjoyed this episode. Loved Barry and Iris and seeing the Garricks. Also, Joe and Cecile are couple goals. Love how they can disagree but do it in a low-drama way and are in-sync on the big things.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, adora721 said:

You might be right since it won't be Jessie Quick making the sacrifice because in the S8 premiere of "Arrow", Earth 2 was destroyed by the Crisis anti-matter event. That means Jessie and Harrison Wells are dead. Wally will be gutted when he finds out as will Cisco and the rest of team Flash.

OMG!  No!!! I'm actually pretty angry that an event like that happened on another show.  That's part of The Flash mythos.  This is almost as bad to me as when the Westallen wedding happened on a show that WASN'T The Flash.  I don't watch Arrow for a reason.  Ugh!

10 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Wow, that's dark! I wonder why they did that on Arrow instead of Flash since that seems like something more relevant to the latter.

Probably to try to force Flash fans to watch Arrow to make sure we don't miss anything.  I definitely feel angry about them doing that on Arrow, which I don't watch unless I have to in a crossover.  But a regular episode?  No. Honestly how dare they?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, phoenics said:

OMG!  No!!! I'm actually pretty angry that an event like that happened on another show.  That's part of The Flash mythos.  This is almost as bad to me as when the Westallen wedding happened on a show that WASN'T The Flash.  I don't watch Arrow for a reason.  Ugh!

Probably to try to force Flash fans to watch Arrow to make sure we don't miss anything.  I definitely feel angry about them doing that on Arrow, which I don't watch unless I have to in a crossover.  But a regular episode?  No. Honestly how dare they?

Well they actually have a E2 character as part of their regular cast. Black Siren. And from interviews Arrow got the Ok from the Flash showrunners.

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Well they actually have a E2 character as part of their regular cast. Black Siren. And from interviews Arrow got the Ok from the Flash showrunners.

As I said, I still think it was nearly as bad a decision as when they had the Westallen wedding on an episode that wasn't The Flash - but at least that happened IN the crossover. 

They have ONE character.  Flash fans know so many more - it's more THEIR story.  And these Flashwriters are just as much to blame if they approved it.  The ONLY reason they even have an E2 character is because they killed off Laurel and wanted KC to stay so they took elements from the Flash and used them to get what they wanted.  Ironic they did all that borrowing to get rid of Laurel and then EBR left the show, LMAO.

OMG - I just realized E2 Barry and Iris! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm FURIOUS!! WTAF!!  And BARRY's E2 PARENTS?!?!?!!!  I'm so angry and upset about this happening on Arrow WTF!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

It was admittedly a bit odd because Arrow is supposedly the more "realistic" and "grounded" show.

(Not that it's been either since at least season two of that show, but that's a complaint for the Arrow forum.)

That said, I think they did that on Arrow partly because Arrow's a darker show, partly because it became part of the Arrow mythos too, and mostly because it was very relevant to Arrow, to Oliver, and to what Arrow is doing this season. 

And for what it's worth [I'm putting this beneath spoiler bars as a precaution, but this is partly what happened on Arrow, partly my spec:]  Harrison Wells and Jessie Quick weren't mentioned in the episode at all - but Cisco's little portal travelling things were. It seems at least possible that the two of them were on a different Earth at the time or used the devices to escape at the last minute, the way some of the Arrow characters did.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, quarks said:

It was admittedly a bit odd because Arrow is supposedly the more "realistic" and "grounded" show.

(Not that it's been either since at least season two of that show, but that's a complaint for the Arrow forum.)

That said, I think they did that on Arrow partly because Arrow's a darker show, partly because it became part of the Arrow mythos too, and mostly because it was very relevant to Arrow, to Oliver, and to what Arrow is doing this season. 

And for what it's worth [I'm putting this beneath spoiler bars as a precaution, but this is partly what happened on Arrow, partly my spec:] Harrison Wells and Jessie Quick weren't mentioned in the episode at all - but Cisco's little portal travelling things were. It seems at least possible that the two of them were on a different Earth at the time or used the devices to escape at the last minute, the way some of the Arrow characters did.

But what about E2 Iris?  BARRY?  BARRY'S Parents?!!!  I'm really upset that we will never see them again - but if that happened - why wouldn't it happen on The Flash AND WHYYYYYY is Arrow basically dabbling in multi-verse stuff in the first place given it's supposed to be the more grounded show.  Ratings?  They couldn't find anymore of Batman's storylines to steal?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, phoenics said:
  Hide contents

But what about E2 Iris?  BARRY?  BARRY'S Parents?!!!  I'm really upset that we will never see them again - but if that happened - why wouldn't it happen on The Flash AND WHYYYYYY is Arrow basically dabbling in multi-verse stuff in the first place given it's supposed to be the more grounded show.  Ratings?  They couldn't find anymore of Batman's storylines to steal?

Cuz IMO Arrow is carrying the major weight of the Crisis plot. Oliver is being sent on missions by Monitor.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Cuz IMO Arrow is carrying the major weight of the Crisis plot. Oliver is being sent on missions by Monitor.

*sighs*

Which is BS given comics and how The Flash has been hinting at Crisis from day one and it's been part of his storyline nearly EVERY SEASON.  This is why I'm angry - that storyline is THE FLASH'S story and always has been.  The fact that TPTB put Oliver at the center of it is such BS and only shows they still prioritize Arrow even though it pales in comparison in ratings (and popularity) to The Flash - because Gugg and Berlanti love it as "their first" (even though all they did was steal Batman canon to create it).

I wish that spoiler had never been brought into this forum.

• Love 3

Is there a crossover forum?  I think we need one.  Or a support group for Flash fans who will be upset about this.  It shouldn't bleed into discussion about Flash episodes until the flash folks find out.

• Love 1

For what it's worth, as someone who watched both episodes last night, I think we're going to end up mentioning Arrow frequently on the Flash forum and vice versa for the next several episodes - because they are running parallel, entwined plot lines leading up to Crisis. We're not mentioning SupergirlBatwoman or Black Lightning, because the first two episodes of those shows haven't mentioned the other Arrowverse shows/characters and/or aren't leading up to Crisis - and as far as we can tell, nothing that's happened on those shows so far will impact Flash or Arrow.

This also isn't really new. Barry Allen was introduced on Arrow, after all, and Arrow fundamentally changed after metahumans were introduced. Black Siren/Not Laurel is around thanks to Earth-2, but ARGUS and Iron Heights - both major parts of Flash - were introduced in Arrow. And so on. 

Which isn't to say that viewers have to watch both shows -  I think Flash was/is completely understandable without watching/knowing anything about Arrow, and vice versa.  Just that I think these discussions might come up. 

Back on this episode - so, er. Maybe whatshername should consider bringing in enough vegan donuts to let EVERYONE have a donut? HMM?

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, phoenics said:

Is there a crossover forum?  I think we need one.  Or a support group for Flash fans who will be upset about this.  It shouldn't bleed into discussion about Flash episodes until the flash folks find out.

Here's the COIE thread.

30 minutes ago, phoenics said:

There’s a crossover thread in the Legends forum. If you don’t mind spoilers you can probably post in there.

32 minutes ago, quarks said:

This also isn't really new. Barry Allen was introduced on Arrow, after all, and Arrow fundamentally changed after metahumans were introduced. Black Siren/Not Laurel is around thanks to Earth-2, but ARGUS and Iron Heights - both major parts of Flash - were introduced in Arrow. And so on.

Black Siren may have been introduced on Flash but she's spent much more time on Arrow.  Oliver is currently on his present journey to save Barry and Kara. I'd argue that events on The Flash affected Arrow much more than vice versa. It has been an area of considerable bitterness.

Since Flash seems to have no bitterness thread, here's Arrow's.

ETA:

It shouldn't bleed into discussion about Flash episodes until the flash folks find out.

Isn't what has been aired on the other shows out in the Arrowverse and no longer a spoiler?

• Love 2

Although it hurt, I think they did this because we cared about those E2 characters and therefore, it was a way to give the audience a real stake in the COIE events. It also lets us know that there will be real losses in the Arrowverse, but without us losing E1 characters we love and have been invested in for six seasons on the Flash.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

I wonder if Black Siren isn't the reason why Earth-2 got destroyed on Arrow. The multiverse may have been introduced on Flash but the Flash Earth-2 characters were either one-offs or got written off the show in season 4 ( Harry and Jesse ). Arrow has a series regular who could be affected by the Earth-2 destruction way more than anyone on Flash. I am speculating as I have stopped watching Arrow mid-season 5 and have no idea if Black Siren knows about what happened to her home Earth or if she even cares.

I think they need to mention it on Flash though. Harry was the team's friend and Jesse was also someone who teamed up with them a couple times and was romantically involved with Wally. The Flash fans deserve to know what happened to these characters.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Starry said:

I am speculating as I have stopped watching Arrow mid-season 5 and have no idea if Black Siren knows about what happened to her home Earth or if she even cares

The premiere was on Earth 2 and she left for Earth Prime with Diggle and Oliver just before it was destroyed. She’s changed her backstory a few times so we don’t know what’s true as far as personal connections but she’ll probably be upset if only because it was her home. 

I’m sure Flash will have their characters learn E2’s fate and mourn/deal with the ramifications accordingly. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3