Type keyword(s) to search

Gone With the Wind (1939)

Cobalt Stargazer
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Agree. Vivien was very beautiful period imo, not handsome or everyday pretty.

Yes absolutely, but its Hollywood, in print of the novel, the protagonist might just be pretty, but on film she is beautiful, and the supporting "plain female supporting character" is quite attractive. 

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Joan Crawford probably would have had a good chance at being cast as Scarlett if the movie had been made about 5-7 years earlier. By the late 30's though her career was in the dumps and she was just a little too old to play Young Scarlett.

I agree. She couldn't have done 16yrs old Scarlett no way no how, but she could've done Scarlett in the last act of the film. That was a challenge even for Vivian, and thats why they filmed chronologically, so she would be "fresher" for those early scenes.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

"Hollywood" plain as it were. Olivia de Havilland was gorgeous, yet Melanie was supposed to be plain faced.

The Hollywood Homely trope. Put a beautiful woman in a frumpy dress and hairstyle, take off her makeup, and suddenly she's a hag.

Oddly enough, I think it worked with Olivia de Havilland. To me, she genuinely did look plain compared to Scarlett.

I always wondered if Melanie was genuinely plain or if that was just Scarlett's perception of her. She'd hardly be the first person to unfairly downplay the appearance of a rival.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Although I'm not sure Miss Crawford could have pulled off a teenaged Scarlett, one advantage she might have had as an adult Scarlett  was the fact that she and Mr. Gable DID have a longterm affair through several of their respective marriages  but since neither of them was willing to take a back seat to the other , they early decided not to wed each other yet  somehow they stayed friends to the end of his life!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I always wondered if Melanie was genuinely plain or if that was just Scarlett's perception of her. She'd hardly be the first person to unfairly downplay the appearance of a rival.

The book is written in a close third person format where the only character who's insights we get are Scarlett's.  Every description is Scarlett's opinion of the characters and Scarlett held a very low opinion of Melanie at the beginning of the book.  Melanie was the mousy little cousin who was stealing Ashley away from her after all.  

• Love 2

As someone who always found Joan Crawford not only NOT beautiful, but actually close to repulsive (harsh, coarse), all I can say is blergh.  😆

1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The book is written in a close third person format where the only character who's insights we get are Scarlett's.  Every description is Scarlett's opinion of the characters and Scarlett held a very low opinion of Melanie at the beginning of the book.  Melanie was the mousy little cousin who was stealing Ashley away from her after all.  

There are a few times we get information Scarlett did not know, such as her mother's backstory and some things going on with Rhett.  I did take her description of Melanie as probably truthful.  Tt seems none of the Wilkes women were graced with good lucks.  

• Love 1