Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: First Week of School

• Start Topic

I have been a huge defender of this family, but tonight I found myself saying "Wow, what a brat!"  I don't care if it was the first day of school, I would have taken that bag of goldfish from Will immediately and put him in timeout.  In my opinion, he was intentionally naughty, stubborn, willful, uncooperative and sneaky.  He couldn't care less what Jen says, or tells him to do.  I always thought that he was just the cutest little boy ever.  Now I am having a hard time looking at him that way.  Wow.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 11

Yes I was also kind of shocked at Will's behavior with the goldfish.  He really seems to have an almost uncontrollable food obsession.  He is sneaking goldfish right after finishing breakfast?  They are definitely way too lax with them.  I am sure Will is having problems in school.  First off he is probably quite different from all the kids, being a little person with a large head and funny looking legs, and then he has such delayed speech.  I don't know how he could really communicate with the other children.  I did feel bad for him when we found out he is having a hard time.  I'm sure the bratty and grabby behavior he displays at home won't help him at school, either.  They just laugh when he is already talking back and acting highly possessive and selfish.

• Love 2
In my opinion, he was intentionally naughty, stubborn, willful, uncooperative and sneaky

i just thought he was being a kid.

I don't think a few minutes of misbehavior is that serious an issue or implies that Bill and Jen are allowing the inmates to run the asylum. They could have been more firm or stern with him but they were also running late and decided to put off the matter, at least right then. 

In this episode I also saw Will using his words to ask for things instead of just taking them or snatching them away, he followed his parents instructions when given them, well at least he did more than he did not, and he did exceptionally well during his swimming lesson by respecting and listening to his teacher.

He does listen to Jen, when he wants to, heh, but that's the behaviour of a small child imho, they are selective listeners. And I think that Jen and Bill keep him well wrangled for the most part.

I about died watching Will swim, he really is such a natural, and a little daredevil. The young man teaching him just seemed so impressed and happy with him.

And it was nice to see that Zoey, despite her screams and cries, is learning how to still follow instructions and listen and eventually calms herself down once she realizes whatever it is isn't so bad after all. I thought Jen had the right idea staying with Zoey and offering support and encouragement while the teacher remained calm and handled her like a pro.

Watching them in the CPR class just proves I really need to take new classes, I can't believe how much things have changed, the technique and all.

• Love 15

I really enjoyed tonight's episode.  I think it was because aside from the race car segment, they were engaging in normal, daily activities.  To me, part of the appeal of this show is seeing how the family members deal with their unique challenges.  For instance, I thought making sure the preschool had step stools in place for the kids made perfect sense.  And seeing Jen zip around on her scooter at work as she moved from one important task to another did my heart good.   Good for her!  She really has had an amazingly difficult path to get where she is.   AndI thought she did a great job with the family learning to care for that adorable baby at home. I want to see more of Jen and Bill in the workplace.

My mom and dad would have snatched those goldfish out my hand before the first one made it to my mouth.  They could not be controlled by the threat of a meltdown, and I am a better person for their firm approach to discipline.  That having been said, I do suspect that many of Will's behaviors are linked to his early life in an orphanage.  The trick for Bill and Jen is going to be knowing where to draw the line.  I hope (and I am sure that they are) working closely with counselors to find that line.  

Zoey is just cute and smart as can be.  I'm not surprised at all that she likes school.  

• Love 10

Yes I was also kind of shocked at Will's behavior with the goldfish.  He really seems to have an almost uncontrollable food obsession.  He is sneaking goldfish right after finishing breakfast?  They are definitely way too lax with them.  I am sure Will is having problems in school.  First off he is probably quite different from all the kids, being a little person with a large head and funny looking legs, and then he has such delayed speech.  I don't know how he could really communicate with the other children.  I did feel bad for him when we found out he is having a hard time.  I'm sure the bratty and grabby behavior he displays at home won't help him at school, either.  They just laugh when he is already talking back and acting highly possessive and selfish.

Did Jen make the right decision in basically ignoring Will when he disobeyed her and opened the bag of goldfish - because they were trying to get out the door on the the first day of school?  Not sure, but as she said this I was thinking this seems to be a real pattern with them. There always seems to be some reason why Will is not disciplined.  He's little, he's adjusting to us, he's tired, he's hungry, he's having surgery tomorrow, he's so darned cute etc.  The problem is, the discipline is needed now, when he IS little, so he becomes used to it and learns to mind them and behave properly.  If Bill & Jen find it difficult to discipline now, it will only make it that much harder later when the kids are not so small or cute, and they themselves get fed up with the misbehavior.  PS - his classmates are not going to find his cuteness an excuse for his behavior in school and he'll have difficulty being accepted by children.

• Love 5

i just thought he was being a kid.

I don't think a few minutes of misbehavior is that serious an issue or implies that Bill and Jen are allowing the inmates to run the asylum. They could have been more firm or stern with him but they were also running late and decided to put off the matter, at least right then. 

In this episode I also saw Will using his words to ask for things instead of just taking them or snatching them away, he followed his parents instructions when given them, well at least he did more than he did not, and he did exceptionally well during his swimming lesson by respecting and listening to his teacher.

He does listen to Jen, when he wants to, heh, but that's the behaviour of a small child imho, they are selective listeners. And I think that Jen and Bill keep him well wrangled for the most part.

I about died watching Will swim, he really is such a natural, and a little daredevil. The young man teaching him just seemed so impressed and happy with him.

And it was nice to see that Zoey, despite her screams and cries, is learning how to still follow instructions and listen and eventually calms herself down once she realizes whatever it is isn't so bad after all. I thought Jen had the right idea staying with Zoey and offering support and encouragement while the teacher remained calm and handled her like a pro.

Watching them in the CPR class just proves I really need to take new classes, I can't believe how much things have changed, the technique and all.

Like I said.  It's in my opinion, and that's how I saw it.

Did Jen make the right decision in basically ignoring Will when he disobeyed her and opened the bag of goldfish - because they were trying to get out the door on the the first day of school?  Not sure, but as she said this I was thinking this seems to be a real pattern with them. There always seems to be some reason why Will is not disciplined.  He's little, he's adjusting to us, he's tired, he's hungry, he's having surgery tomorrow, he's so darned cute etc.  The problem is, the discipline is needed now, when he IS little, so he becomes used to it and learns to mind them and behave properly.  If Bill & Jen find it difficult to discipline now, it will only make it that much harder later when the kids are not so small or cute, and they themselves get fed up with the misbehavior.  PS - his classmates are not going to find his cuteness an excuse for his behavior in school and he'll have difficulty being accepted by children.

I agree with you about the discipline being needed right now.  In the not so distant future, he's going to be bigger than they are.  Where will they be then if he doesn't respect them, and obey them?

• Love 2

Like I said.  It's in my opinion, and that's how I saw it.

And I merely stated my own opinion in turn.

Frankly I think Jen and Bill are keeping Will in check and disciplining him because if they weren't he'd be an absolute terror. Will may not always listen to them or obey them but he's their kid and that's just part of the deal. 

I thought Will's overall attitude and behaviour he displayed throughout the entire episode was far more positive than negative.

• Love 8

I thought Jen's statement about picking her battles was so typical of a mom with young kids.  I have heard it so often stated by the parents of my nieces and nephews when I thought things should be addressed more aggressively.  But they all grew up to be wonderful functioning adults so I guess their parents knew what was important and what wasn't.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 10

Yes Will was acting bratty but I understand Jen not wanting to discipline him on the morning of his first day of school and have that memory of everyone being upset and crying.  She probably knew he was excited and maybe even a little anxious and just wanted to keep things running smoothly before the big drop-off at school. And I doubt he'll be rejected by his peers for occasional bad behavior since they're all the same age and will likely do the same.  

• Love 8

I'm not sure its unreasonable for a parent to be hurt if a child openly prefers one parent over another. I mean, kids aren't exactly subtle about their likes and dislikes and I can where it could be very hurtful and embarrassing. I also don't know many parents who would enjoy saying to the camera "My child misses my husband but doesn't like me and didn't care enough to cry for me".

It's a reality show. You're not going to get perfect honesty.

• Love 7

I really liked this episode, because it had a lot of focus on the kids.  I'm a believer of pick your battles as well when it comes to small children.  Will does have his moments of brattiness, but overall I think he's pretty well behaved.

I do like that Will took two bags of goldfish and gave one to Zoey.  That was very big brotherly of him.  He looks like he's in a "my" phase.  My pool.  My daddy.

My favorite section was Will swimming.  Just awesome.  He is just so enthusiastic and so comfortable in the pool.  Kudos to Zoey overcoming her fears and listening to the swim instructor.

The kids and the cars were awesome as well.  Will was so excited and I was excited for him.

• Love 6

Her mistake was saying that he could hold the goldfish but not open them. She should have put them right back. I don't think there would have been a scene at that point. Yes, after he was already eating them there would have been a scene. She had to know he would open them!

Jen's photos are always awful. That stupid sign! But really what bugged me is there was a white wall background right next to them but she takes the photo with all kinds of crap in the background. Photo taking 101- look at the background!

I loved the baby that needed the extra care. Those people really have their hands full.

Love the plug for the Roloffs! Go Matt and your stool business!

Zoey Zoey- I only watch because I just love her and how she changed from the first show. I loved her saying Rabbit so clearly! Then I love Rocky. Her speech seems to be on track, especially with learning a new languge. Will, on the other hand- is he almost 5?

Her mistake was saying that he could hold the goldfish but not open them. She should have put them right back. I don't think there would have been a scene at that point. Yes, after he was already eating them there would have been a scene. She had to know he would open them!

Jen's photos are always awful. That stupid sign! But really what bugged me is there was a white wall background right next to them but she takes the photo with all kinds of crap in the background. Photo taking 101- look at the background!

I loved the baby that needed the extra care. Those people really have their hands full.

Love the plug for the Roloffs! Go Matt and your stool business!

Zoey Zoey- I only watch because I just love her and how she changed from the first show. I loved her saying Rabbit so clearly! Then I love Rocky. Her speech seems to be on track, especially with learning a new languge. Will, on the other hand- is he almost 5?

You're right about her knowing that he would open the goldfish.  She told him not to and he never listens to her.  They showed an older episode last night where Jen told him not to throw the blocks, so of course he threw several of them.  Then she asked if he wanted a timeout, and he said yes.  He knew she wouldn't follow through and she didn't.

• Love 2

When Bill pulled the stool out of the box, I thought, "wow that looks like one of the Roloff stools.   Turns out it was.   Small world.

I thought Zoe sitting on the stool like a desk was adorable!     

I thought the same thing... or I did think "who stole matt rolof's design?"  lol

You have to take into consideration at what point in the childs' lives that they were adopted.  Will was already speaking when he was in an orphanage and it wasn't english.  Zoey on the other hand was not - so for her it's likely much easier to catch on more quickly because she didn't have to be re-taught a language. 

I also though that Jenn didn't want to cause a scene over the gold fish because of the cameras. I'm sure if Will would have thrown a tantrum people would have been complaining that Jenn allowed him to do that on film and how embarrassing that will be to him in the future. or something like that....

And at least it was goldfish and not candy.....

• Love 4

How old was Will when they adopted him? I doubt he was speaking very much at all. Young minds adapt very quickly to a new language. So much we don't understand about that but it's much easier than if you and I were suddenly dropped into another culture. I don't think the language thing has anything to do with his language delays. He is very young and has been in an English speaking only environment for 2 years now.

• Love 2

Will is also behind due to his hearing loss.  There was fluid in his ears and he had an operation to put tubes in his ears for drainage.  So its not a surprise that Zoey is making progress faster than Will.

• Love 4

I know they couldn't think of everything when trying to take the first day of school pic but since Zoey insisted on using the step stool like a desk I wish they had turned it around the get the picture. Then she would have been facing forward.

• Love 1

Put me in the "pick your battles wisely" column. Disciplining him just before his first day of school would've been dumb. Turns out, school was traumatic enough for him. So you discipline him before school, then take him to a place full of kids and leave him there. Imagine how a kid might process that.

I could've watched the pool scenes for the entire episode.

I shake my head when parents comment about how "crazy" their kid is for something....that had been spoonfed to them from day one, along with the accompanying "Ooh"s and "isn't this fun?"

• Love 3

Yes I was also kind of shocked at Will's behavior with the goldfish.  He really seems to have an almost uncontrollable food obsession.

Orphan and foster children DO have food obsessions.  Food is survival and orphans and foster children are only surviving.  My sister adopted a brother/sister from foster care.  She finally let them have their own refrigerator with their own healthy food in their room.  She let them tell her when they would separate into their own rooms and she let them slowly move things to the kitchen fridge.  I think both Bill and Jen are being very realistic and don't let some of the pitfalls really upset them.  I know my sister was not quite as good about taking things personally.

• Love 7

I'm not sure its unreasonable for a parent to be hurt if a child openly prefers one parent over another. I mean, kids aren't exactly subtle about their likes and dislikes and I can where it could be very hurtful and embarrassing. I also don't know many parents who would enjoy saying to the camera "My child misses my husband but doesn't like me and didn't care enough to cry for me".

It's a reality show. You're not going to get perfect honesty.

I noticed this too, and I felt bad for Jen.  She's just not lovable in the same way as Bill is, she has all that nervous pressured speech.  You never see the kids cuddling with Mommy the way most kids would.  It makes me feel sad. 

• Love 3

I'm back & forth about the goldfish. I understand Jen didn't want to cause a scene, but I probably would have grabbed them out of his hand as soon as he came out of the pantry. But I could also picture my mother, who was my son's daycare from infant to kindergarten, saying "well, you can have just a few...." in typical Grandma fashion. Yes, she spoiled him but also disciplined & he's turned out fine.

It does seem Will likes to eat, even when he's not hungry considering they just had breakfast. Maybe a kid proof lock on pantry door might be a good idea.

I loved it too when Zoey turned herself around on the stool in typical kid fashion. They'll look back on that photo & laugh. I think these types of photos are sometimes better than the typical posed ones. My niece was good at turning herself around during photos & later realized it just fit in with her personality.

Besides what other posters have said about Will being different than other kids at preschool, I do think Jen & Bill hit on something that Will relates school to the orphanage. I like how Bill said he thought Will would go to school with no problems & it's the exact opposite. Many kids have separation anxiety. My son had a preschool classmate who had to be peeled off her mother, crying the whole year. But once she was in room, she was fine.

I like how Bill & Jen could ride in the cars with the kids. Saved a lot of anxious moments & accidents.

• Love 1

Yes Will was acting bratty but I understand Jen not wanting to discipline him on the morning of his first day of school and have that memory of everyone being upset and crying.  She probably knew he was excited and maybe even a little anxious and just wanted to keep things running smoothly before the big drop-off at school. And I doubt he'll be rejected by his peers for occasional bad behavior since they're all the same age and will likely do the same.  

And they were filming.....

• Love 3

I agree 100%. I understand Jen not wanting to start their first day of school on a bad note by Will having a tantrum, but that kid does not listen to her at all. Her problem is she says one thing and then backtracks. "No Will, get out of the pantry, you just ate." "Okay, Will you can have the Goldfish but save them for later." "Did you open the Goldfish? You weren't supposed to do that." Followed by Will eating the goldfish. I feel for Jen, because it's pretty obvious Will prefers Bill, but I do think both parents need to get on the same page and enforce rules so it's not always "Jen the bad guy" and "Bill the cool buddy."

• Love 4

And they were filming.....

And Jen and Bill are not fools.  They see how crazy the internet gets if Kate G would yank a treat out of one of the kids hands just to maintain discipline.  There has to be a part of them that want to be liked.  So we won't Duggar or Gosselin level of rules and regulation.  

• Love 1

One of my friends adopted a child from Russia some time ago (she is now a teenager) and food hoarding was a real issue. They let her keep food in her room as not to create an eating disorder.

It's the same with Will. Many international adoptions result in food issues. It is understandable. I am quite sure Bill and Jen are aware of it.

Nah, I don't see the kids having a favorite parent. They go thru stages just like my kids did.

• Love 4

I am incredibly jealous that Jenn and Bill could fit in those cars.  I always wanted one when I was younger and I would take one now if I could fit in it and I'm 32 lol

And "normal" kids get those cars too.  My nephew got a "harley" motorcycle one when he was like 3 or 4 and that stupid thing was nearly $400 and my parents bought it for him and they aren't anywhere near the income bracket of what these guys make.  (but the thing did last forever though, my youngest nephew was still riding it when he was  4 and he's 5-6 years younger than the nephew that originally received it)

• Love 1

Well, if you name a kid "Will" you take the risk of it becoming a self fulfulling prophecy, lol.

I'm kind of a food hoarder myself as a girl growing up between 2 brothers. It was so upsetting to save something for later and have it be gone in the blink of an eye.

I agree that Bill should back Jen up more on the discipline. And as a dog mom I know to keep the treats in an inaccessible place to avoid problems...along with lots of object-exchange drills!

• Love 3

One thing thaamt I noticed and found unusual was Jen and Bill standing behind the kitchen gate just watching while Zoey and Will ate "breakfast."  I was feeling a set shot vibe from that.  It isn't really natural to me for parents to hover behind a closed gate and just watch the kids eat.  It seemed more like a filming choice to have Bill and Jen there to narrate the setting and possibly to keep the dogs out of the way. 

I loved Zoey being determined to sit on the stool like a desk.  I could understand Jen's reasoning, but I probably would have taken the more immediate reaction of taking the goldfish out of Will's hand as soon as he picked them up.  She isn't nearly as direct or quick acting as I am.  But that makes her also like dozens of other parents that I know.

That's fantastic that they are using the simulation center to train parents.

Will driving was hysterical.  He loved it so much and it made me laugh to see him have so much fun.

• Love 2

I think Will and Zoey are too old for high chairs. Even though they still fit in them, I don't think they should use them. I think they should always sit at a table, like other kids their age.

• Love 1

To me the problem wasn't Jen not taking the goldfish away from Will (although I would have).  I understood her not wanting to get him upset at that particular time.  The bigger issue is that he got them in the first place.  He apparently isn't being taught to ask before taking food (see M&Ms while fishing) and it is left where he can reach it.  I do see a pattern of him not minding his parents with no consequences, but he's not my kid so what I think doesn't matter.  He may be in for a rude awakening at school when he can't always have what he wants.  

• Love 4
I think Will and Zoey are too old for high chairs. Even though they still fit in them, I don't think they should use them. I think they should always sit at a table, like other kids their age.

I think it's mainly an issue of functionality as to why they're using the highchairs still. 

It has to be a lot easier and safer, especially for Jen, to handle feeding those kids when they're at her level and the highchairs allow her that edge And when it's morning time and they're getting ready for the day, getting ready to go to work and it's just the two of them, I would think those chairs help them keep things organized and the kids in line.

Will and Zoey are positioned at a height where they can be easily reached and handled, even Jen can lift them out, or help them down without worrying about slipping or falling. And I have to think that also helps out Bill with his bad back that he isn't straining much to lift the kids up too high or bending too low. Plus she and Bill can clean up their messes easier, taking off their bibs, bringing them their food or taking it away.

Not to mention those highchairs keep Zoey and Will confined until they're released which is another bonus for a little parent, imo, because Jen and Bill don't have to worry about Will or Zoey suddenly making a break for it and forcing them to try and catch them or run after them which prevents an "issue" from arising.

I think the chairs serve many purposes which help Bill and Jen with the kids, and I don't think that still using them regardless of how old they are will or would affect them in any way. No more so than being in a car-seat or booster seat, the kids are used to being held in place by special chairs whether indoors or out.

Now if they're still in them at 10 and 13, heh, I'd agree then that it's an issue.

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 12

I have often wondered if they would have been approved for 2 dwarf children to adopt had they not had a modified home and full time nanny. There is no way, NO way, they could care for these kids on their own. Physically, they could not keep them safe or tend to their needs. If that was a factor, what happens if one loses a source of income, or a parent dies. If they lose the nanny? I am not saying the kids would have been better off in an orphanage...but can the 2 of them alone, or separate care for these 2 kids? I do not think they can.

Well, if you name a kid "Will" you take the risk of it becoming a self fulfulling prophecy, lol.

I'm kind of a food hoarder myself as a girl growing up between 2 brothers. It was so upsetting to save something for later and have it be gone in the blink of an eye.

I agree that Bill should back Jen up more on the discipline. And as a dog mom I know to keep the treats in an inaccessible place to avoid problems...along with lots of object-exchange drills!

Yes, there are easy ways to avoid this particular problem all together. Move the treats to a shelf Will can't reach. Lock the pantry if that's possible. Take the bloody goldfish AWAY from him. Who's in charge here?

I don't think Will is a brat yet, but I think he could be on his way.  Both Bill and Jen are clearly eager to be loved and needed by their kids - what parent isn't?  But the bottom line is this. Parents are supposed to be parents, not buddies, and not best friends. GOOD parents will have to do many things that are difficult and unpleasant for them, in order to help their children learn and grow up to be well-adjusted cooperative members of society. I really don't believe this has truly sunk in yet for Bill and Jen. If it has, they're paying it lip-service only, not acting on it. The time to act is now, when the kids are little. It will be so much tougher to do, maybe impossible, as they get older.  And children DO respect this approach, even if they don't admit it until years later.  Being permissive is certainly easier, and certainly more fun for both parents and kids, but in the end, it just doesn't work. No child is ever well-served by an undisciplined upbringing. Do you have someone in your office who has difficulty compromising and getting along with others etc? That individual probably had a permissive childhood. I suspect Will may not like school because with no Mama or Baba around, he's not getting his way all the time. Maybe children have grabbed toys away from him, as four-year olds will do. Perhaps with his food issues, he's grabbed snacks away from one or two of them. To be frank, at this point, I believe his classmates are tolerating Will, but they don't like him yet. Which is a genuine shame, because he has a terrific personality IMO - and a very giving nature. Will would be a great friend to have. One of the primary goals of pre-school education is to provide socialization and social skills for young children.  A child is away from home for the first time, among people he doesn't know, without Mom and Dad. And truly realizing - for the first time - that he did not hang the moon.  That in order to get along in the world, he will sometimes have to yield. This could be part of the reason Will cries in school and says "no" when asked if he made any friends, and why he wishes Mama and Baba were there with him.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 4

I think the kids have to stay in the high chairs for now, because they can get in and out of them without their parents help.  While Jen can certainly lift Zoey, she really can't lift Will all that much.  I think they mainly use the high chair for breakfast and lunch.  I think for dinner they use the dining table.  However, I think they have a "regular" sized dining table and the kids sit in booster seats.  The kids can't get into the seats by themselves though, so it does necessitate one of their parents lifting them in.  Not sure how Bill will manage lifting Will in his seat after back surgery.  I guess they can put stools and have the children use that to get into the chairs?

I'm assuming the kids go to a half-day preschool?  I think also Will might have a harder time making friends because I think his dwarfism is a lot more pronounced than Zoey.  He's got that big head, stout body and bowed legs.  Zoey just looks like she might be a shorter/smaller kid.

How old was Will when they adopted him? I doubt he was speaking very much at all. Young minds adapt very quickly to a new language. So much we don't understand about that but it's much easier than if you and I were suddenly dropped into another culture. I don't think the language thing has anything to do with his language delays. He is very young and has been in an English speaking only environment for 2 years now.

Agree with much of this. But IIRC, they were speaking and singing in English quite a lot at Will's orphanage, because if adopted most of the kids would be headed for English-speaking countries. As for culture, I think they were fairly well-immersed in American/European-based culture. They celebrated major "American" holidays with the kids - Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas. There are videos of the kids having "Thanksgiving" lunch and even little paper native American headdresses etc. Also learning the same songs and stories - Old MacDonald etc.

Re: Will's bratiness. Yes , they were filming and I understand that plays into how much discipline Bill and Jen display on tv for fear of being criticized , however, it is obvious that this is not the first time we have seen that Will doesn't listen. I don't really think it has anything to do with the camera's. Will is a happy, fun, sweet kid when he is doing what he wants to do.   I actually think Bill is worse then Jen. At least she tries. Bill does nothing to correct their behavior at all.  Bill and Jen are lovely people,  they are just lousy disiplinarians. They have got to get a handle on it now because Will is going to grow much bigger and much heavier than Jen. All it will take is one accidental push or shove from Will and Jen could fall to the floor and easily get hurt.  And they need to control Will's weight. At just 5 yrs. old he is getting fat. They and other little people (Roloffs) have said how important it is for little people to watch their weight for health reasons. 

Edited by demarti
  • Love 1

Goldfish-gate:  We don't know if production called Will over and gave him those goldfish.

Well, I would hope someone wouldn't had my kid food without permission. Makes very little difference. Jen said no. Will said yes. And Will ate them promptly.

Fancy clothes, toys and home do not make good parents. I don't think Bill and Jen are cut out for parenting. They like the idea of parenting, and sending out the pictures...but I don't see them more than props.

• Love 2

I think its harsh and really early to say they're not cut out for parenting.  They've had the kids for less than 2 years.  I think they're evolving and trying to see what works for them.  Different people have different parenting styles.  Nothing I've seen leads me to believe that Will will be a menace to society.  And I definitely thinks its in the eye of the beholder.  Some parents think they're kids are so well behaved but when I see them out in public, I would have to disagree.

My mother punished my little sister and I both the same way.  We were hit (shoes, cooking utensils - whatever my mom could get her hands on) when we were bad.  My sister tends to be the black sheep of the family.  She does not hit my nephew, but tries to talk to him when he does something wrong.  Not something I always agree with.  My nephew is a good kid, but he has his moments.  He is a really sore loser.  He gets angry or cries when he loses.

I don't have kids myself, but when I do have kids, I don't see anything wrong with a spanking if a kid is misbehaving (we were not spanked when we were kids, we were hit). 

Edited by DkNNy79
  • Love 6

Given how possessive Will is over toys and food, I wasn't surprised to hear he had a rough start at school. He's too used to getting and doing what he wants, when he wants it. I don't think he's a bad kid, he just needs some boundaries. Hopefully being around children his own age has turned into a positive experience in real time. Zoe has always been more autonomous, so again I wasn't surprised to hear she adjusted quickly and did well her first week at school.

• Love 3