Type keyword(s) to search

Criminal Minds Spinoff

hazel0711
  • Start Topic

I really don't get the idea of a spinoff at all. Personally I never got warm to a spinoff from a show I love/d.

And more than that, they've tried a spinoff once before, and it was terrible, despite both Forrest Whittaker and Janeane Garofalo, who normally I really enjoy. I don't know what they're thinking trying it again.

I hope the spinoff gets better writers, although, I admit it will make me feel sorry for the original show if they get better stuff for the spinoff. But I get the impression that CBS is more excited about the new project than they are about original CM.

It reminds me of Stargate:SG1. The actors lamented that the spinoff got a larger budget, fancier sets, and more attention.. and then in season 10 the networks just decided to cancel SG1 even though it was doing fine in ratings and such.

I like Gary Sinese, so I might actually take a peek at this episode and see how it looks. I think the days of the original show are numbered though.

• Love 1

I hope the spinoff gets better writers, although, I admit it will make me feel sorry for the original show if they get better stuff for the spinoff. But I get the impression that CBS is more excited about the new project than they are about original CM.

It reminds me of Stargate:SG1. The actors lamented that the spinoff got a larger budget, fancier sets, and more attention.. and then in season 10 the networks just decided to cancel SG1 even though it was doing fine in ratings and such.

I like Gary Sinese, so I might actually take a peek at this episode and see how it looks. I think the days of the original show are numbered though.

I'm squinting to see the writing on the wall, hoping maybe it doesn't say what you think it does… OTOH, if TG and MGG want out and SM is gone, they might as well.

• Love 2

I'm squinting to see the writing on the wall, hoping maybe it doesn't say what you think it does…

Me too, normasm. If numbered days includes a S11, it might help a little.

• Love 1

I would think if CBS is smart it includes at least a S11 and S12, since it'd be foolish to cancel a moneymaker and replace it with a dud.

Granted, we have seen worse decisions...

And imo one of the worse decisions CBS ever made was to shake up the cast because they wanted to conform the original show to that of the spin off. WTF, whoever heard of such a ridiculous thing. I mean to take CM which was a proven hit and try and change it and make it more like a show that had yet to air, imo there are just no words for that amount of stupidity. Sadly CM has never fully recovered from this blatant stupidity on CBS's part. Yes we got the girls back but Paget's return was only temporary. And sadly AJ's character JJ became something so many of us came to dislike intensely. It is no wonder to me that some fans had a rather negative reaction when another spin off was announced. Given what happened in the past I certainly don't blame them.

• Love 5

My guess is that the writing is always better at the beginning of a new show.  Not necessarily the pilot, but once the writers hit their stride, and the actors begin to find their characterizations, the first couple of seasons are pretty much always the best.  After that, they have to reach a bit more for storylines that are unique enough not to be compared with prior ones, and the original writers may feel a need to move on, for the sake of their own creativity. 

So, the new series may or may not have better writers, but it may seem so, at the beginning.  That won't lessen my enjoyment of the original CM. 

I don't plan to watch the spinoff at all.  I was completely blindsided by CM, and how involved I became with it.  But, unlike some, I'm very clear that I did so because of the characters, and not the premise.  So the idea of a related entity really does nothing for me.  And, while it's been a pleasant journey with CM-----and one that I'm hoping will go on for another year or two-----I don't think I can afford the time to get involved with another series.  For me, one and done.

(Unless MGG turns up on another series.)

• Love 5
(edited)

I came by to see if this Criminal Minds event they are promoting was a backdoor pilot.  I guess it is.  I came away with two impressions.  First its a cross between Criminal Minds and CSI Miami.  Second, its not reassuring that Anna Gunn aims a weapon like she is one of Charlie's Angels.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 3

I don't know just how many FBI agents there are overseas, but I know there was at least one FBI agent in Singapore. I think he was attached to the embassy there, but I don't remember.

In 2003, there were about 120 FBI special agents in 46 legal attaché offices.  The offices are based at a particular embassy and may cover just one foreign nation (e.g., only Mexico) up to a whole region (e.g., Southern Africa). (And, these offices may have satellite offices at consulates in major cities, similar to how FBI Field Offices have resident agents at small satellite offices.)

But, for anyone who wants a very detailed look at the FBI's legal attaché program, here is a 127-paged 2004 DOJ audit report (PDF file).

Just to help out, yes, Norway DOES share a border with Russia.

Things I learned by watching (the first episode of) The Sandbaggers.

• Love 2

I really don't get the idea of a spinoff at all. Personally I never got warm to a spinoff from a show I love/d.

Traditional spinoffs are primarily an artifact of (1) networks being cheap, (2) networks playing it safe, and (3) networks rewarding successful producers and/or showrunners.

• On point #1, a backdoor pilot that is just an episode (or two) of another series is much cheaper than commissioning an entire separate pilot.  Plus, by airing the pilot, they can get much broader feedback without having to conduct many screenings and focus groups.
  • For point #2, most spinoffs, especially under the CBS model, tend to be clones of their motherships, thus following the "same yet different" or "like x, yet different" derivative nature of almost all TV series.
  • And, with point #3, spinoffs are a way for the network to reward and retain showrunners, producers, et cetera, that are profitable for the network, so they don't jump ship to a competing network.

But, one of the main problems with spinoffs is that they continue to be afterthoughts and not something that is a part of the creative process from the beginning of a series.  Too many TV series, especially procedurals, are overly focused on a small world or a small group of characters (it's all about them), that the show's universe and mythology does not allow for a spinoff to exist and grow organically.

Plus, showrunners and networks, apparently still have yet to learn the lesson of not annoying a series' regular viewers by continuing to use the "shove the regulars to supporting roles" backdoor pilots, instead of at least introducing the spinoff's main characters over a few episodes in the current season (which, given the economic realities of casting and securing actors, would at least be a realistic option), if not over a whole season or two.

• Love 3

Plus, showrunners and networks, apparently still have yet to learn the lesson of not annoying a series' regular viewers by continuing to use the "shove the regulars to supporting roles" backdoor pilots, instead of at least introducing the spinoff's main characters over a few episodes in the current season (which, given the economic realities of casting and securing actors, would at least be a realistic option), if not over a whole season or two.

Now, see, I wouldn't have minded having the characters of the spinoff come and be featured as secondary characters, guest stars, for a couple of episodes, as long as they didn't take over any one storyline, or bump Reid out of the picture (again). We would have gotten to know the characters, get a feel for what they do that's different, and TPTB would have gotten a feel for their popularity as characters. I hate backdoor pilots, it's lazy.

• Love 3

Now, see, I wouldn't have minded having the characters of the spinoff come and be featured as secondary characters, guest stars, for a couple of episodes, as long as they didn't take over any one storyline, or bump Reid out of the picture (again). We would have gotten to know the characters, get a feel for what they do that's different, and TPTB would have gotten a feel for their popularity as characters. I hate backdoor pilots, it's lazy.

I totally agree with this post. Why create a whole new show when you already have show that deserves your focus? Improve and enhance the original recipe before you create a spin-off.

• Love 3

Bookish, I was thinking, that was the way they handled Andi Swan (human trafficking), and earlier, Katie Whatshername from Child Protective Services(?). These were different factions of the bureau, and these leaders and sometimes their assistants coming in to get help from the BAU made sense. It wouldn't have bothered me at all to see either Andi or Katie again, or to entertain the notion of a spinoff from these stories where the BAU helped out another unit.

I believe that's called creating stories by building characters and having them interact, also known as writing.

• Love 5

Yeah normasm...I mean, it's not like it couldn't ever work...I mean, Perfect Strangers begat Family Matters, Cheers gave us Fraiser, All In The Family gave us The Jeffersons and Maude, and, of course, JAG gave us NCIS (which started as two episodes of JAG).

Of course, I still hold out hope that Reid gets his own spinoff, because I think he's more than earned it.

• Love 5

Not that I think MGG would go for it, even for a minute, but I think a Specer Reid series could be wildly successful.

Thinking back to the TV shows I've particularly liked over the years, it's always been a peripheral character who won me over. I try to see it objectively, never having written for a TV show, but I think generally the leads play straight-man to the quirky side character. Reid was obviously originally a side character, whose personality and backstory won over the audience, until he was a huge draw for the series. Reid was heavily featured in seasons 1-4, which was CM's heyday, and that's just not a coincidence or my opinion. The character is clearly one big reason for the show's success. Not the only reason, but an inarguably big one. However Reid was originally conceived, it was the writing + MGG's portrayal that cemented the fans' love for the character.

Before I say any more, I want to make clear that is the TEAM dynamic that made me fall in love with CM, even though from the outset, Spencer Reid was my favorite character. I know I am not alone, and so I know I am not the only one disillusioned about the past few seasons and the lack of focus on Reid. There has not been another character like Spencer Reid on television. The idea that this Monty person can be the "Reid" of the spinoff is laughable at best. And I am a big fan of the actor playing Monty from his stint on The Walking Dead,

THIS is why I won't watch the spinoff, should it garner a spot on CBS's fall lineup. Any energy expended to make the spin-off as/equally/more popular than the original series -- with its rich characters and their beautifully-layered back stories -- is akin to asking the franchise's devoted fans to swallow a load of shit that is beyond unpalatable.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 5

I wonder how many people even realize the US actually *has* overseas territories, aside from (technically) Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and maybe American Samoa. Anyone up for a trip to Baker Island or Guam?

I also shudder at the geography on this show. The "mothership" does it pretty bad sometimes, so I shudder to think what the spinoff will be like.

Just to help out, yes, Norway DOES share a border with Russia.

My husband's cousin's stint in the Norwegian army consisted of staring across a short expanse of snow at a line of Soviet army sentries.  They could easily see each other.  It was at the time the Soviets were sending subs into Norwegian fjords and scaring everyone to death, so it was tense up there on the border.  

I'll just bet this plays a big part in CBS wanting to try another go at a CM spin off. 

http://twitter.com/TheCancelBear/status/586191428922904577

I was going to ask for a quote since it wasn't loading, but now I see it. They are thinking that CM might get canceled because of failed negotiations?

I hope that AJ and Kirsten don't band together and demand the same salary that JLH was getting. I think the fact that she's leaving might cut the costs a teeny bit-- assuming they don't replace her. Shemar may be threatening to quit.

As for spinoffs, IIRC, Mork and Mindy was a spinoff of Happy Days. Also, there was a recurring character on Stargate:SG1 that ended up being one of the main characters on the Stargate: Atlantis spinoff. They were planning to have Jonas Quinn be on the spinoff, but apparently Corin Nemec was not well-received by the fans and was difficult to work with so they axed that idea. 

I agree that it would have been cool if these characters had been introduced as just part of another case without it intended as a spinoff, so our team would still get focus and we wouldn't be getting these guys shoved in our faces.

Didn't Angel become a spinoff of Buffy after people responded well to the character?

• Love 1
Didn't Angel become a spinoff of Buffy after people responded well to the character?

*points at icon*

The easy answer to your question is yes, but Angel's departure also paved the way for Buffy (the character, not the show) to get mired in the idea that love equals misery, and later for the execrable Buffy/Spike pairing. Which was misery on a whole other level. Don't get me started. :-)

I was going to ask for a quote since it wasn't loading, but now I see it. They are thinking that CM might get canceled because of failed negotiations?

I hope that AJ and Kirsten don't band together and demand the same salary that JLH was getting. I think the fact that she's leaving might cut the costs a teeny bit-- assuming they don't replace her. Shemar may be threatening to quit.

SURELY they wouldn't do that. SURELY. Not when it is clear that CM is an expensive show and an 11th season for any show is such a rarity and they are darn lucky to be on it. I get it about last time, but now is not the time.

I swear, this show may give me a stroke before all is said and done. I'm stressed to the gills bc real life right now and instead of an escape, CM is becoming a sore point. I feel like I'm trying to salvage a bad marriage.

Would CBS really cancel CM over money, after all its success? Yeah, they probably would. I'd never watch another show on the network again if they do something like that.

• Love 2

Well Angel was on Buffy for three seasons and a main character for most of that time, with a significant storyline. I think that's a much more effective way of setting up a successful spin off :P

• Love 2

Ah. I didn't watch Angel and Buffy so I wouldn't know. It just wasn't my thing.

I do agree that it is better to take characters who are established and liked and move in to making a spinoff.

I wish they had found some way to have a spinoff for John Blackwolf. I loved that guy.

Well Angel was on Buffy for three seasons and a main character for most of that time, with a significant storyline. I think that's a much more effective way of setting up a successful spin off :P

By that logic, CM should really spinoff Morgan and Reid as their own BAU unit, Morgan being the chief and Reid being the intellectual core, maybe Rossi as consultant, everyone else new. If they're gonna do a spinoff, that makes the most sense to me. Of course, i would want Sharon Lee Watson at the head and some of the old writers who wrote everyone well. Virgil can come, too, if he learns to write Reid as seriously genius. My opinion.

• Love 5

As for spinoffs, IIRC, Mork and Mindy was a spinoff of Happy Days. Also, there was a recurring character on Stargate:SG1 that ended up being one of the main characters on the Stargate: Atlantis spinoff. They were planning to have Jonas Quinn be on the spinoff, but apparently Corin Nemec was not well-received by the fans and was difficult to work with so they axed that idea. 

I agree that it would have been cool if these characters had been introduced as just part of another case without it intended as a spinoff, so our team would still get focus and we wouldn't be getting these guys shoved in our faces.

I was actually referring to CM's ratings and how they were considered above average where CBS is concerned, but I certainly can see how you came to that conclusion.Anyways I'm of the belief that if they fail to get the original CM back on the air come next season another spin off would be a waste of time. Simply because the majority of  CM's fandom would be way too pissed off and angry to even want to give the spin off a chance.

• Love 2

By that logic, CM should really spinoff Morgan and Reid as their own BAU unit, Morgan being the chief and Reid being the intellectual core, maybe Rossi as consultant, everyone else new. If they're gonna do a spinoff, that makes the most sense to me. Of course, i would want Sharon Lee Watson at the head and some of the old writers who wrote everyone well. Virgil can come, too, if he learns to write Reid as seriously genius. My opinion.

^^^^ This. One million times. I've been saying this for ages.

• Love 4

Bookish, I was thinking, that was the way they handled Andi Swan (human trafficking), and earlier, Katie Whatshername from Child Protective Services(?). These were different factions of the bureau, and these leaders and sometimes their assistants coming in to get help from the BAU made sense. It wouldn't have bothered me at all to see either Andi or Katie again, or to entertain the notion of a spinoff from these stories where the BAU helped out another unit.

I believe that's called creating stories by building characters and having them interact, also known as writing.

Ooh, yes! I liked both those characters very much and would be interested in seeing them again. 

• Love 2

Not that I think MGG would go for it, even for a minute, but I think a Specer Reid series could be wildly successful.

Thinking back to the TV shows I've particularly liked over the years, it's always been a peripheral character who won me over. I try to see it objectively, never having written for a TV show, but I think generally the leads play straight-man to the quirky side character. Reid was obviously originally a side character, whose personality and backstory won over the audience, until he was a huge draw for the series. Reid was heavily featured in seasons 1-4, which was CM's heyday, and that's just not a coincidence or my opinion. The character is clearly one big reason for the show's success. Not the only reason, but an inarguably big one. However Reid was originally conceived, it was the writing + MGG's portrayal that cemented the fans' love for the character.

Before I say any more, I want to make clear that is the TEAM dynamic that made me fall in love with CM, even though from the outset, Spencer Reid was my favorite character. I know I am not alone, and so I know I am not the only one disillusioned about the past few seasons and the lack of focus on Reid. There has not been another character like Spencer Reid on television. The idea that this Monty person can be the "Reid" of the spinoff is laughable at best. And I am a big fan of the actor playing Monty from his stint on The Walking Dead,

THIS is why I won't watch the spinoff, should it garner a spot on CBS's fall lineup. Any energy expended to make the spin-off as/equally/more popular than the original series -- with its rich characters and their beautifully-layered back stories -- is akin to asking the franchise's devoted fans to swallow a load of shit that is beyond unpalatable.

I don't think the network or the CM folks are aware of this mindset. I wonder if they realize that the earlier spin off tanked primarily because loyal CM fans wouldn't support it. Some of that was due to their unfair treatment of AJ and Paget, but a lot of it was due to the loyal viewers objecting to so much focus being put on the new show when the writing and focus was declining on the original. And then, of course, there was zero chemistry with the team on the spin off and the writing wasn't any better either. There really wasn't a decent premise there. None of the cases seemed to require a special team to solve them. 

Now with this new show, they have a good idea, but without decent writers and show runner, they're going to run into the same problems. They can't get this show to fly just by hiring well-liked actors. And if they cancel the original show, the loyal viewers aren't going to say, "Well, if I can't watch Criminal Minds, I'll just watch the new show." They're going to be ticked off and refuse to support the spin off. It would have been much better to have this show completely separate from Criminal Minds and give it its own pilot. They cheaped out and it could come back to bite them in the butt. 

Edited by SSAHotchner
  • Love 6

I think another major hurdle for the previous spinoff was that the entire premise was absolutely ludicrous. A "rogue" team of FBI agents? When the first episode was coming on, I was going to give it a shot. It got to the part where it explained the premise about a rogue team. That was as far as I got. I turned the TV off.

• Love 3

I have not one milligram of interest in this spinoff. Nothing.

Me neither. I never felt inclined to even watch it, let alone like it.

And this is not a spinoff after all.

A real spinoff would be another tv show but derived from CM, developing characters or topics from the original tv show.

If they would have send a CM character to this other show (for instance JJ, or Morgan, or both), then this could be called a spin-off.

As it is presented, its just a new show that has nothing to do with the original show, except they all work for the FBI, which is definitely not rare on tv shows, at all, and since I am not a fan of any of the cast members, I am not interested.

I wonder why the CBS didn't explore the possibility of a real spinoff.

• Love 3

Right, like Kirsten guested on that other disaster. I'm with you, not a fanatical fan of any of those people in the cast... I did like 'Monte' on The Walking Dead, but not enough to follow him around, and I've liked Anna Gunn in other things, but meh. 

Wow, not that i'm surprised, i figured she skewed too old… I really can't feel any enthusiasm for Beyond Boredom, although I don't actively pray for its failure. I just hope original recipe flourishes and gets better, with more emphasis on team, Hotch and Reid

• Love 7

Mark my words. Anna Gunn is a poison (as an actor, of course)
CBS has a thing for spinoffs I don't understand.

Investing on writers for the shows you already have is business savvy

(edited)

So now that the spinoff has been picked up... http://tvline.com/2015/05/08/cbs-new-series-fall-2015-criminal-minds-spinoff/

And Anna Gunn is out...

What are your hopes and fears for the show and how, if at all, it will affect our beloved original series?

OH my! I just read this after I posted, Is she out?! well, maybe they had a shot, I'm not interested in this new show and I think they need to shape a lot of things, but if Chicago fire has made it and that show is a piece of ...., no mean disrespect, I enjoy shows of any quality. But seriously, the writing is made by 12 year olds and they don't have any chemistry. Suddenly I miss Third watch 

Edited by smoker

I felt pretty indifferent towards her (as I did all the characters) but Anna Gunn is a hell of an actress, provided the role fits her. And I also find Chicago Fire to be pretty terrible and far too soapy. I'd love for another Third Watch-esque show to debut. Something with a gritty feel while still exploring the personal lives of the characters. I get the feeling the Chicago shows try to be that but they fail horribly, particularly CF.

• Love 4

I felt pretty indifferent towards her (as I did all the characters) but Anna Gunn is a hell of an actress, provided the role fits her. And I also find Chicago Fire to be pretty terrible and far too soapy. I'd love for another Third Watch-esque show to debut. Something with a gritty feel while still exploring the personal lives of the characters. I get the feeling the Chicago shows try to be that but they fail horribly, particularly CF.

About 5 years ago, my life had way too much drama in it, and at that point I had to cut out all soapy TV shows because I wanted TV to be an escape, not something adding more drama to my life. I axed Grey's Anatomy, One Tree Hill, and a few others, and since then, I haven't been able to tolerate anything overly soapy. I used to casually watch Chicago Fire (because it's on after NCIS: NO) but the drama was so ridiculous that now even the commercials bug me and I have to make sure to change the channel as soon as it comes on. I like exploring the characters - they're the main reason I watch any show - but I absolutely cannot do over the top drama.

I am in the minority that never watched Breaking Bad, but I do very much enjoy Anna Gunn. I doubt I would have given the spinoff much of a chance even with her on it, though. I will probably semi-watch it if it comes on after a show that I am already watching, but that's about it.

• Love 3

I was never, ever invested --or interested -- in the spinoff, for reasons I've already stated on these forums. But I do wonder about the reason for the cast change. Maybe they wanted to narrow the focus? It wasn't stated that she would be replaced. The original CM could take a lesson from this -- keep it simple. Don't add another profiler.

• Love 2

In all honesty I think she skewed bad. Someone will have to replace her, though. The last thing CBS needs is another sausage fest.

• Love 1

“Beyond Borders” had a lot worse problems than just Anna Gunn (who I don't even think was a problem at all). They need to fix their characterization and ensure they actually research the countries the team finds themselves in, or else the show will be in serious trouble.

I wonder if it'll get the 10PM hour on Wednesday after CM. If so, the potential exists for “two hour event” crossovers, which I believe could be fun if they're done well...and that's a giant “if”.

• Love 3

Well, Daniel, if past is prologue, a two-hour crossover will be unwatchable for me. The backdoor pilot was so awful I've nearly succeeded in casting it from memory...

• Love 3
(edited)

In all honesty I think she skewed bad.

That is possible. Skyler White is right up there with Dawn Summers, Beth Greene and Laurel Lance for being hated just because she exists, and it seems like most people either hate her/them with white hot loathing or are indifferent, and I'm not sure which is worse. That said, Anna Gunn does kick ass, and if CM's last spinoff hadn't been such a fabulous disaster she wouldn't be what makes me not watch the new show just by being on it. They could cast Helen Mirren and I might still be able to resist tuning in.

Can I say also that I kind of hate the term "sausage fest"? I know the meaning behind it, and I suppose that in theory I agree, but it sorta skeeves me for no particular reason.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 1

In all honesty I think she skewed bad. Someone will have to replace her, though. The last thing CBS needs is another sausage fest.

I agree, I never watched Breaking Bad so I had no idea who she was or why she was supposed to be so good but I thought she looked uncomfortable and like she'd rather have been at the dentist. I think the world of Gary Sinise, so I will be giving this a shot. Or two.  I'm also a fan of Janeane Garafalo so I'd love it if they brought her character over from the last spin-off.

Out of the three CSIs I used to watch the original and the one in Miami (mostly to laugh about this particular one), and both in the occasion of nothing else to watch on TV. I never quite liked CSI NY, but mostly because I couldn't stand that brunette actress which I don't even know the name, but she was a major character.

Hence, I have no attachment to Sinesi.

I never watched Breaking bad (and chances are, I will never do it) and I have no idea about who this Anna Gunn is.

From the actor that plays Monty, I only remember what we watched in the sneak peeks. I wish I could un-see them. I disliked him even more than I dislike Garcia on her bad days.

The other actor, well... I am sorry but I don't remember his face, name, character, just the stupid thing about his kids. You cannot be less memorable in my book.

Finally, I have a huge issue with this so-called 'spin-off'. If they would have send a couple of criminal minds characters to go on their own, I would be ok with that (I wished it would be JJ and Morgan, for well-known reasons), but with an entirely different cast, this was just a bunch of characters from a new show interrupting my Wednesday TV dosis.

So my final decision is Never. Ever.

• Love 3

“Beyond Borders” had a lot worse problems than just Anna Gunn (who I don't even think was a problem at all). They need to fix their characterization and ensure they actually research the countries the team finds themselves in, or else the show will be in serious trouble.

you're right, I didn't like any of the characters, all of them were so lifeless and a bunch of cliches. 

And the guy with 4 kids under 3... Seriously, did they pay attention while they were writing that?

I not a fan of Sinise either and I didn't like their hacker or Garcia interactions with him.

About Anna Gunn, I've watched Breaking Bad and after 5 seasons  I just, I can't stand her, it's the way she works, I can't feel any empathy for her characters. I watch her in deadwood and as a guest star in others, but I never like her performance, she is always the same, that lack of expression...

with other actors, I don't like them in a role, but it's just that, the actress who played Beth, I looked for some scenes of scandal on youtube, and I think she is good there. Anna Gunn is not the one actor who makes me feel nothing every time, you can add Marc Blucas to that list