Type keyword(s) to search

Criminal Minds Spinoff

hazel0711
  • Start Topic

Just read this:-

http://tvline.com/2015/01/12/cbs-season-16-cancelled-or-renewed-cbs/

Not sure whether to laugh hysterically or cry!

Hey wait a minute now isn't JJ their Super Girl. Anyways I too don't know how quite to respond to EM being called one of the greatest show runners of all time.

I'm hoping this makes it even more of a certainty that EM indeed will step down as show runner for CM and take over running the spin off.

• Love 2

Maybe both. I have no words for her assessment of Erica's competence as a showrunner and writer (though Chris Mundy was a far better writer than she will ever be). But if she is helming the spinoff, I can only hope CBS brings in a competent showrunner who is capable of restoring Criminal Minds to its former glory.

• Love 5

I read that article and thought I was in Bizarro world. First of all, which version of Supergirl are they planning to use? There have been tons of them with different names, origins, powers, etc. She's one of the least consistently written characters. Is she going to make trips to the future to visit the Legion of SuperHeroes or will she stay in this timeframe? Is she going to be someone given alien powers or is she going to be Superman's younger cousin who was not on Krypton when it was destroyed? Will she fall in love with Brainiac 5?

Ugh... Unfortunately it explains a LOT about the current CBS attitudes and why we have SuperJJ on the show. They want a superhero and they probably also want to play on the current success of some of the other DC hero shows (Gotham, Flash, Arrow). But of all the characters to pick... Wonder Woman would have made more sense. Or even Wonder Girl. Donna Troy was an interesting character in DC.

I have to remind myself that Tassler is the same person who broke the news that AJ and Paget were fired so they could make original CM fit better with the spinoff. Somehow I suspect she thought that was a good idea at the time. So, there's not much accounting for taste. Sounds like she has some seriously low standards and maybe there is a bit of crack smoking going on. :P

• Love 2

I can't help but get the impression that CBS is full of shows that are well past its due date. The Mentalist might be done this year but it was really done as a show after Season 3. Then you have the plethora of CBS' other aging serials, like The Good Wife, Blue Bloods, Hawaii 5-0, CSI and even Elementary I'd say at this stage. I know NCIS is still going strong but how much longer can it go (especially they screwed over Cote de Pablo)?

Then we get to our show...I don't think there's any doubt that this show has seen better days, yet Nina Tassler seems to think the show is as good as it always was. I get that she really can't slam Erica Messer in the press, but Tassler seems so unequivocal in her support that I think she actually believes what she says.

Maybe that's the problem- CBS is too afraid to try new things, always hanging on to shows well past their expiry dates and jumping on bandwagons instead of leading them (how else to describe the motivations behind the CM spinoff and Supergirl? The former is a quasi rip-off of The Blacklist and the latter obviously jumps on the “superhero show” bandwagon we're currently experiencing). Even Scorpion is a retread of NUMB3RS, and don't get me started on Stalker.

That, I think, will be CBS' ultimate downfall. Eventually the public will tire of the same thing and turn to the networks who are actually revolutionary- unless Tassler wises up and realizes she's got way too much dead weight.

• Love 2

Regarding the tv line article, I think it is a big insult for Chris Mundy, a real writer.

It wasn't his fault if the CBS hired a cast made out of cardboard.

Well, it *is* his fault if he couldn't properly establish the characters...that's on the showrunner. However, I would agree that blaming Mundy would be unfair- perhaps he wasn't up to the showrunning gig, but that shouldn't take away from his skills as a writer. Also, I'm pretty sure there was lots of behind the scene stuff that prevented Mundy from really getting behind the project, so I'm not even sure this reflects badly on his showrunning skills.

• Love 1

Hell, even Ed couldn't resurrect the spinoff and he was brought in early after Chris was let go in the fall of 2010, so it's not all on Chris. I think IF CBS hadn't made the STUPID decision to fire AJ and Paget, the audience might have been more open to the spinoff. But since most fans (correctly) blamed the spinoff for wrecking the chemistry of the original show, a good chunk of them were simply unwilling to give it a chance. CBS essentially screwed their own spinoff by their idiotic actions, so they have no one to blame but themselves for the failure of the spinoff. 

This time around, the only way I would support the spinoff is if it gets rid of Erica from the original show and paves the way for a more competent showrunner. 

But in any case, Chris Mundy is a far better writer than Erica could ever hope to be. He was my second favorite writer for the first four seasons. 

• Love 8

That was probably the biggest problem with the spinoff- it wrecked the chemistry of the original show. That, and I believe it was poorly thought out and planned, and I believe if CBS hadn't screwed with the original and more properly developed the spinoff, it might still be on the air, and who knows, the original show could still be good. I know there's people who think S5 started the show's downfall, but I think S5 had the potential to grow the show, since it had just explored its first- and so far only real- natural character arc (Hotch vs. Foyet), and if the spinoff was better planned, the original might not have fired its good writers.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 2

Still, most of the best writers were fired after the writers strike, before season five.

But I agree with you. The CBS didn't handle the situation well, and they will blame anyone but themselves for the spin off failure.

• Love 1

Still, most of the best writers were fired after the writers strike, before season five.

But I agree with you. The CBS didn't handle the situation well, and they will blame anyone but themselves for the spin off failure.

If you could bring back one writer, who would it be? : ) 

Well, Hazel0711, that would be a hard choice, but I think Andrew Wilder was awesome. Still, I also think writers like Edward Allen Bernero, Chris Mundy and Oanh Ly were also awesome, just to name a few of those sorely missed talents.

• Love 4

Well, Hazel0711, that would be a hard choice, but I think Andrew Wilder was awesome. Still, I also think writers like Edward Allen Bernero, Chris Mundy and Oanh Ly were also awesome, just to name a few of those sorely missed talents.

Yes to all of these.

• Love 1

I think that aside from the ludicrous concept of the first spinoff (a rogue FBI team that included a foreign national and ex-con-- both of whom would not be eligible to join the FBI), the lack of cast chemistry and even some bad acting was a problem. I only watched "The Fight" but I noticed that the blonde had horrible line delivery and there was absolutely no chemistry among the spinoff cast. They had chemistry with the existing CM team. I don't know how much Chris Mundy was involved in the development of the concept and such, but I think he was given a turd to begin with and there wasn't much to do to salvage it.

• Love 3

I see Gary Sinise has been cast as the lead in the spinoff. How do we all feel about that? I quite liked him in CSI NY. And of course he is a very close friend of Joe Mantegna - that may help the launch episode run smoothly.

• Love 2

I like Gary Sinise, and I would watch it except for one thing: I don't want to see "the genius." I can't stomach the thought that Messer actually wants to write for another one, when she can't write the one she already has. And the idea that he might actually receive thought, attention and a good storyline? I can't go there.

Yeah, I'm petty.

• Love 4

Gary Sinise is a good call. Not only a good actor, but he knows how to handle a third spinoff already. I'd expect him to also get a production credit.

But objectively, while CSI:NY didn't suck to the level of Miami, it also never got the ratings and eventually ended earlier. And CSI was always a bigger brand than CM.

So it gives me moderate hope, but the premise of the show still sounds suck-worthy and they still have the problem that it may not sell outside the U.S. if they make other countries law enforcement look useless, and it may not sell inside the U.S. among conservatives if there is too much of a foreign element.

I can still remember the flak (no pun intended) that one episode of CSI:NY got in the Spanish media when they hired a Cuban-American actor to play a cop from Barcelona, who didn't speak a word of Catalan and kept mispronouncing the name of his own police force. And nobody there even watched the episode in English, but it still damaged the show's reputation in the represented city. Stuff like that can really count in overseas sales, which is a growing market.

And there was an episode of CM recently where if I remember correctly their mention of the perpetrator 'sleeping with the moose and bears in the Northern Territories' managed to annoy some Canadian commenters on this board. I imagine that if for some reason a red-jacketed Mountie had unironically appeared, the fury in Canada would have gone through the roof, while some perhaps older, less informed US viewers would have loved it. So they may have a tough row to hoe when it comes to pleasing both national and international audiences at once.

This show will probably have to do all the research for at least one country a week or risk pissing off half the population there. And I don't have any faith that these writers will bother.

So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 1

I like and respect Gary Sinise, but I don't want to support this show.

But you see I think we need to support it at least in the beginning. It may be our only way to get rid of Erica Messer and hopefully a majority of these writers.

• Love 3

Wow. I kinda feel sorry for Gary Sinese. I mean, maybe he'll get lucky and someone good will be the showrunner. Or maybe he'll be stuck with Erica as the showrunner. I can't imagine she will be able to write much for him-- unless its to give his character a girlfriend and have romance stories or some such BS. I'm pretty sure Erica will want to have a female character that is the biggest badass that can out badass all other badasses and that character will get the most focus.

• Love 4

So, if I'm interpreting things correctly, it sounds like this will not be a BAU-equivalent working internationally, but, rather, another type of branch of the FBI altogether.  Do others read it the same way? 

Assuming, in the CM episode that launches it, we'll see the BAU team up with this other branch.  It would have seemed a good opportunity to see a bit more of Emily, but it doesn't sound like that will happen.

I've liked Gary Sinise in films, but have never seen him in CSI:NY.  I couldn't make it through a full season of the original CSI, so have never watched any of its offspring.

I wonder if their travels will only take them to foreign countries or if they will also go to US Territories.

I wonder how many people even realize the US actually *has* overseas territories, aside from (technically) Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and maybe American Samoa. Anyone up for a trip to Baker Island or Guam?

I also shudder at the geography on this show. The "mothership" does it pretty bad sometimes, so I shudder to think what the spinoff will be like.

Just to help out, yes, Norway DOES share a border with Russia.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 1

I wonder how many people even realize the US actually *has* overseas territories, aside from (technically) Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and maybe American Samoa. Anyone up for a trip to Baker Island or Guam?

I also shudder at the geography on this show. The "mothership" does it pretty bad sometimes, so I shudder to think what the spinoff will be like.

Just to help out, yes, Norway DOES share a border with Russia.

I can't tell you how many problems I had with people not understanding that Guam was in the US and that it would not be found in the "international" listing at the post office. Overheard a guy griping that the post office in Georgia was erroneously charging his mother international shipping to send him letters because they thought Guam was a foreign country-- even though postage to the military in Guam cost the same as postage to California. But then, Georgia was the place that had a moron that didn't realize that "New Mexico" was in the US when people were trying to buy tickets to the Olympics on year. I believe the quote from the dumb bitch was "Old Mexico, New Mexico... You have to be from the United States!"

• Love 1

Hey! Zannej! I'm sitting here in Georgia, and i'm calling you out! The Stupid is not solely contained within these state borders! There's plenty down where you are darlin'! It is mah duty to inform you that Georgia is an open carry state, and….. OK I can't sustain the !Outrage! any farther, you'll be glad to know...

I just realized THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN ALLCAPS

Edited by normasm
  • Love 3

Oh man...I can understand not knowing (to an extent) is that Guam is American territory but New Mexico? You'd think at least the 50 states would be basic knowledge...I guess that person never turned left at Albuquerque. :p

Well, I guess Charlie Daniels was right about Georgia. :p

Now, it *is* true that there were territories that were once American that became independent- see the Marshall Islands and the Philippines- but Guam is not one of them.

Tell me, zannej, that at least you were aware of the Norwegian border with Russia...that's one of my favourite geographical quirks.

I wonder if we should start a drinking game in preparation for the CM Spinoff's wonky geography...we could probably already do it for CM. :p

• Love 1

I can tell you that I am aware that Norway shares a border with Russia, because I have visited that border. :)

Jealous. I've only seen pictures. :( Apparently if you're in Russia and cross over they'll shoot on sight.

• Love 1

LOL. Normasm, I used to live in Georgia. My father actually taught at the FLETC there for awhile. I've had some good friends over there, but I hear stories of some of the people they encounter. And yeah, there is a whole hell of a lot of stupid around where I live now. The governor of my state bitched up a storm about needing to cut back on spending so they closed down clinics, hospitals, libraries, and even some schools and then he had taxpayer dollars fly him over to Europe where he promptly made an ass of himself and started ignorantly spouting total bullshit. The best part was, one of the UK reporters called him out on it and he just kept repeating himself and stumbling and was unable to answer any direct questions bc he's a moron.

I think I'm going to need to stock up on beverages to chug whenever they get something totally wrong about different cultures or geography on the spinoff. I bet they are going to offend so may people with fake locations, bad accents, and all sorts of misunderstandings.

Oh, the Stupid is definitely here, I was just doing my best imitation of it. I'm from Mississippi, but that hellhole has been last so long it wouldn't know how to rise above (although race relations are remarkably better than they were when i was a child). But Georgia doesn't have that excuse. I'm usually OK with a few bad southern accents and racial stereotypes, but i have to be, cause they're everywhere.

I'm confused about the spinoff being an international FBI thingy? Isn't the FBI just federal, meaning US jurisdiction only?

The FBI often assists in some cases overseas, particularly terrorism incidents. How that will pertain to this show is anybody's guess though. But I do believe the FBI does send some of their agents overseas.

When they announced the show, they referenced The Blacklist specifically, noting it is a show where the FBI goes abroad. So it's not unprecedented in TV land.

Personally, I hope for a show like what could have been with the JTF-12 team, since I think a show about profiling terrorists would have been cool. Doubt that's what will happen though.

I don't know just how many FBI agents there are overseas, but I know there was at least one FBI agent in Singapore. I think he was attached to the embassy there, but I don't remember.

Damn. They created a role with a disability, put out a casting notice for actors with a disability and then cast an ablebodied guy instead. Disappointing.

How much do we guess that they'll still have him sit in a wheelchair anyway. Or actually, perhaps the fact that NCIS:New Orleans has a - completely different, character-wise - African-American disabled computer expert on their show, played by an actually disabled man, really did put them off. Maybe Monty will have another disability. Agoraphobia or something.

• Love 1

Well seeing as Messer cannot write for the genius she has at the moment, I have absolutely no hopes for or interest in the spinoff'

Well what concerns me, even if we are lucky enough to get rid of Erica, they'll just promote someone from inside like Rick or Janine. And our show will continue to be stuck with many of the same crappy writers. Meanwhile the spin off will get the better writers. Ones who will actually know how to write for a genius 

• Love 4