Type keyword(s) to search

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

🟡 Yellow Light: Community Check-In This sub-forum is currently under a Yellow Light status. While we celebrate the vibrant discussions happening here, there is room for improvement to meet our community standards for respectful and inclusive dialogue. Here's our focus:

- Improvement Period: We have until 4/6/24 to elevate the quality of our conversations. Without this improvement, the Topic (and potentially forum) will be audited at a deeper level, red lit, and potentially scheduled to close. 

- Guidance: Let’s highlight what’s working and improve on what’s not. Constructive, respectful dialogue that values all voices is our goal. Please use the tags in this document to demonstrate the changes happening of more intentional community conversations.  

-Assistance: Unsure about how to contribute in a healthy way? Check out our DEI Resources for tips and best practices. Use tags: #RespectfulDebate, #kindness, #globalcitizenship to highlight areas you are seeing improvement in the overall culture of this Forum!

- Your Contribution: Your voice matters. Help us steer these discussions back on track and aim for a Green Light. Together, we can ensure this forum is a welcoming space for all. Your insights and respectful participation are key to our success!

• Start Topic

I didn't see a random media thread in the VPR forum.

Since this involves the entire cast, I thought maybe it might be better to have it centrally located than just in the thread of one of the asshats.

Anyway, here we go.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/11/vanderpump-rules-salary-cast-raises-flying-coach/

The "Vanderpump Rules" cast is pulling in big ratings, but most of them are still drawing small paychecks … TMZ has learned.

Several sources connected to the show tell us anyone NOT named Lisa Vanderpump only made $5K for the WHOLE first season -- but when ratings soared they all went looking for raisies.

We're told the cast wanted 2 things: more money and first class seats on flights. Bravo budged on the cheddar ... handing them each roughly $3K/episode for Season 2, and $5K/episode for Season 3.

But while LV's sipping free booze in first -- everyone else will still be in the pretzel and peanut set. They're stuck in coach.

Much of the cast believes Bravo denied their flight upgrades because execs don't want them losing that working class charm. Most of 'em are bartenders and servers, after all.

Vanderpump not only rules ... she negotiates better.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/11/vanderpump-rules-salary-cast-raises-flying-coach/#ixzz3LkVSYRd7

I had no clue VPR staff were only paid $5K each for the entire first season.  

Skinflint much, Lisa?  Way to negotiate for your staff.  

Always the team player, that Lisa Vanderpump.  

That $5K an episode they're each getting this season isn't going to go far after paying taxes, their agents (which most of them undoubtedly have), etc.  

Not that I feel too badly for these chucklefucks.  After all, they freely signed on the dotted line and sold their soul to Bravo (and Lisa).  

No wonder nobody is moving up in the SUR world of wait staffing.  Hell, it looks like Jax might have even downsized his apartment since last season.  

I never realized the price for one's dignity and self-respect was just $5000.  I guess Andy and Lisa knew it would do the trick, though.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 6

Fuck 5K? Seriously? I mean times are tough and I'd work a great number of crappy jobs for 5K over 10 weeks or so, but to appear on TV as a huge stupid asshole? I'm going to need at least 6 figures for that! For that kind of money I'd rather clean bathrooms and keep my reputation. Wow, fame whoring is not a career I've got the goods for. I fail at being a dirty American.

• Love 3

Fuck 5K? Seriously? I mean times are tough and I'd work a great number of crappy jobs for 5K over 10 weeks or so, but to appear on TV as a huge stupid asshole? I'm going to need at least 6 figures for that! For that kind of money I'd rather clean bathrooms and keep my reputation. Wow, fame whoring is not a career I've got the goods for. I fail at being a dirty American.

Seriously, I am not even kidding when I tell you I had to re-read that 4 freaking times.  I kept thinking I was misreading it and even cleaned my glasses.  I figured it had to be $5K an episode, even for season 1.

Well, knock my ass over with a feather...I was reading it right all along.

I wonder if they had any idea just to what degree Lisa was going to exploit their interpersonal fucknuttery and show how unbalanced and unstable most (or all) of them are?  Or how ridiculous they look in their struggle to be "discovered."

Maybe they thought they would be portrayed as hardworking, buddy-buddy co-workers and it backfired?

Of course, that still wouldn't explain their idiocy in re-signing for a season 2.  Unless they locked them into season 2 contracts before season 1 finished airing, as soon as Bravo/Andy/Lisa saw the ratings continually going up, so they had no idea how they would be portrayed.  

But that still doesn't explain signing on for season 3.  Unless they've figured it's a way to supplement their wait staff salaries since those big offers they were probably hoping for during season 1 and 2 didn't materialize after all.

That being said, I think they're all stupid as hell for agreeing to $5000 an episode this season.  Hell, it's a runaway hit for Bravo, ratings are well over 1 million every single week, it's popular on forum boards...It's a huge win for Bravo.  Unless they're paying Lisa herself some obscene amount of money to use the restaurant and staff, this little show is clearly a BIG moneymaker for Bravo.  

These dimwits should have put aside their differences, banded together, and tried for probably twice that $5K an episode they're getting.  They might not have gotten a full $10K, but probably a split-the-difference $7500.

Sure, Lisa could replace them all if they didn't cooperate but, banded together, there's no way Lisa or Bravo would have let them all walk at once.  It would have been the kiss of death for the show.  

If I were in their shoes (which thanks be to goddess I'm not), I would have played chicken with Lisa and Bravo.  They really had nothing to lose (especially since they lost all dignity and self-respect way back in season 1).  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 2

Seriously, I am not even kidding when I tell you I had to re-read that 4 freaking times. I kept thinking I was misreading it and even cleaned my glasses. I figured it had to be $5K an episode, even for season 1.

Well, knock my ass over with a feather...I was reading it right all along.

I wonder if they had any idea just to what degree Lisa was going to exploit their interpersonal fucknuttery and show how unbalanced and unstable most (or all) of them are? Or how ridiculous they look in their struggle to be "discovered."

Maybe they thought they would be portrayed as hardworking, buddy-buddy co-workers and it backfired?

Of course, that still wouldn't explain their idiocy in re-signing for a season 2. Unless they locked them into season 2 contracts before season 1 finished airing, as soon as Bravo/Andy/Lisa saw the ratings continually going up, so they had no idea how they would be portrayed.

But that still doesn't explain signing on for season 3. Unless they've figured it's a way to supplement their wait staff salaries since those big offers they were probably hoping for during season 1 and 2 didn't materialize after all.

That being said, I think they're all stupid as hell for agreeing to $5000 an episode this season. Hell, it's a runaway hit for Bravo, ratings are well over 1 million every single week, it's popular on forum boards...It's a huge win for Bravo. Unless they're paying Lisa herself some obscene amount of money to use the restaurant and staff, this little show is clearly a BIG moneymaker for Bravo.

These dimwits should have put aside their differences, banded together, and tried for probably twice that $5K an episode they're getting. They might not have gotten a full $10K, but probably a split-the-difference $7500.

Sure, Lisa could replace them all if they didn't cooperate but, banded together, there's no way Lisa or Bravo would have let them all walk at once. It would have been the kiss of death for the show.

If I were in their shoes (which thanks be to goddess I'm not), I would have played chicken with Lisa and Bravo. They really had nothing to lose (especially since they lost all dignity and self-respect way back in season 1).

Preach it, Sister. I could almost understand this better if it were 1995 or something. I could get the whole they're all mactress and mactros and it's good publicity argument. EXCEPT for the fact that this kind of reality TV is 20 years old and has produced very few careers. the competition shows like American Idol and Project Runway have done a little better, but slice of life reality TV? It's pretty few and far between. Jamie Chung from The Real World's acting career and Lauren Conrand from Laguna Beach and The Hills's lifestyle career are the two biggest successes I can think of off the top of my head. These kids grew up with reality tv, they know what a huge gamble it is for 5K. It just reads as stupid to me. But again, I don't really want to be famous and I'm a bad Anerican.

• Love 3

I never realized the price for one's dignity and self-respect was just $5000.  I guess Andy and Lisa knew it would do the trick, though.  

You haven't seen the $5 hookers trolling Hill Street, I take it?  ;-)

Don't beat yourself up about it - I fail at being a polite Canadian, which is much worse.

I can easily surmise why these chucklefucks have fallen for the under-compensation 3 years running - they are STOOPID, and may actually be overpaid for their contributions to TV and society in general.  :-)

I had no clue VPR staff were only paid $5K each for the entire first season. 

Skinflint much, Lisa?  Way to negotiate for your staff.

It has much more to do with Andy.  This is his MO to cheap out & screw over people who work for him.  I know of many stories.  He is Satan.  But I'm not especially surprised how poorly they're being paid.  Anyone know how many eps for the season?

Well, for Stass, it's a really easy gig & some quick cash.  She's not working, so it isn't like it's interrupting her life in any way. 

• Love 3

$5,000 for the ENTIRE first season? Wow! Just WOW! Even $50,000 would not be enough to make me look this bad on national tv. I can make that easily in construction in 6 months without giving up a lick of privacy

Edited by bblancobrnx

It has much more to do with Andy.  This is his MO to cheap out & screw over people who work for him.  I know of many stories.  He is Satan.  But I'm not especially surprised how poorly they're being paid.  Anyone know how many eps for the season?

Well, for Stass, it's a really easy gig & some quick cash.  She's not working, so it isn't like it's interrupting her life in any way. 

If Stassi has a brain in her head she should jump on the promoting herself or her jewelry bandwagon. Look at Snookie she seems to have built a nice future for her kids selling slippers. I think she has other products too but I don't keep up with her too much.

If Stassi has a brain in her head she should jump on the promoting herself or her jewelry bandwagon. Look at Snookie she seems to have built a nice future for her kids selling slippers. I think she has other products too but I don't keep up with her too much.

A la Courtney Kerr, Stassi has a collection with an online fashion jewelry site.

http://shopprimadonna.com/stassi-x-spd.html?limit=all

Edited by Chrissytd

Do you think maybe there's some rule in their contracts that says they can't promote their projects/websites? Even Stassi would realize that was a golden opportunity to talk even more about herself. The only thing I have really seen any of them actively promote is Scheana with her… erm, "music." And we've seen glimpses of the photoshoots and acting gigs they've done but just that… small glimpses. 

Yes  I knew that Stassi had a jewelry line. I wanted to say that if she was smart she would use VP as free advertising for her line. The show can't last forever but a business startup might be the ticket to a longer career.

Yes  I knew that Stassi had a jewelry line. I wanted to say that if she was smart she would use VP as free advertising for her line. The show can't last forever but a business startup might be the ticket to a longer career.

I see what you're saying. Are any of these people using VR to their advantage? Katie did a Reddit AMA and mentioned that she wants to work in music. I don't see of this on the show. The ones who have are Scheana with her music, and Tom with his macting (not much since S1).

I wouldn't think the VPR folks would be barred from advertising their other projects. Look at the shit the housewives have whored out for themselves. Kathy and those shitty cannolis. Theresa and her cookbooks/Fabellini. Bethenny and Skinny Girl. Lisa and SUR! Adrienne and The Palms. I could go on and on..They all had agendas/products/businesses to advertize.

These chucklefucks are just lazy. They may mention aspirations at one point or another, but Scheana is the only one we have even really seen a glimpse of who is doing anything else but working solely at SUR....cos I am sure all those modeling sessions we saw in seasons 1 and 2 were complete producer setups. Except maaaaaaybe Jax's Kitson gig. But even that is questionable.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 1

The SUR staff is clearly not viewed on the same level as the HoWives though. Just look at the difference in salary. And many of the HWives are relatively famous, some more than others, who it would make sense for them to promote their various shit. The kids of VPR were nobodies before this show. I wouldn't be surprised if they are treated very very differently in comparison to the HWives.

Can you share some of the Andy stories?  Inquiring minds 'n all.

• Love 3

Early in housewives franchise, the HW got paid 30K for their first season, then typically the 'stars' got paid 100K then on.  And typically the contracts are multi year renewable at the production company's side.

5K per season is low but they didn't even know if it would air and most of these participants are angling for a show biz career so it's exposure.

One reason not to over pay them is that they then won't be living the struggling waitstaff life and will be driving beemers like the bus boy.

5K per season is low but they didn't even know if it would air and most of these participants are angling for a show biz career so it's exposure.

Plus, S1 was only eight episodes, and probably was shot in a fairly short amount of time. If the cast is now getting five grand per episode - and filming twice as many - then that's some good chedder, considering the players involved.

If they do 16 eps a season, including the reunion (which may or may not be a 2 parter) and then the sneak peeks episode that's $80,000 per person for one season. That's not too bad, for people who claim to be struggling servers. Or, ahem, mactors.

I also wonder do they get anything extra from all the constant reruns being played?

And considering all these people were basically nobodies before the show I can see how they wouldn't have a lot of negotiation input about their contracts. Most of the Housewives are established businesswomen of some type. Or are married to a man who is of some type of notoriety. There's no way they'd take a measly $5000 an episode cos they're legit notable people. Some of them anyway. People like Brandi Glanville just make me want to retch....but that bitch does bring the drama.

I don't think the cast gets residuals for reruns of the show; maaaaaaybe if the show gets syndication, they'll see some bucks. But I wouldn't bet on it; I think that's one of the things that keeps costs down for reality shows. The "stars" just get what they are paid for the season.

Stassi doing a redux of Punk'd? No thanks! It was lame when Ashton Kutcher did it to other celebs, and I really couldn't care less about anyone who claims to be a Stassi Superfan. Yikes.

They really couldn't come up with anything better?

• Love 1

Stassi doing a redux of Punk'd? No thanks! It was lame when Ashton Kutcher did it to other celebs, and I really couldn't care less about anyone who claims to be a Stassi Superfan. Yikes.

They really couldn't come up with anything better?

Would a Stassi "superfan" be someone who is moderately interested in her?

Of the remarkable award, Tom tells Perez Hilton he is  “Definitely honored! I mean really surprised.” Ariana adds, “I didn’t realize we were cool enough for that I feel like I’m looking at the other people who were like sexiest this or that. I’m like how are we even whatever? I mean, I’ll take it, right?” she laughed.

Clearly there are some punctuation, etc., errors in the article, but trying to follow Ariana's train of thought makes my brain hurt. (Bolded emphasis mine.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Jax arrested for stealing sunglasses?

Just when you thought that dude couldn't get anymore pathetic. As soon as I first saw the headline that one of the VR "stars" got arrested for stealing I knew it had to be his dumb ass. And the video footage of him so stealthily perusing the racks and preening in the mirror is beyond cringe-worthy.

On the other hand, I'll bet Stassi is having way too many wicked fits of laughter over this news.

Edited by OnceSane
quoted post was edited
  • Love 2

So how many times has Jax been arrested now? 3? 4? 10? I know he was arrested last season, I think for driving an uninsured car? Because his dad finally stopped paying for it or something? Does Jax want to pay money for anything? I know these people don't make much (according to the show anyway) but they certainly earn enough to be able to make car payments and buy sunglasses. 

What a dumbass. But that's why I watch. It's too good not to. I dunno if it has been mentioned yet, but are they filming a 4th season? Maybe the cast *finally* figured out how to negotiate a decent salary.

• Love 1

Ok so there is a season 4, and we're minus Stassi this time around. Which I am ok with considering she no longer works for Lisa and the way she kept hanging around the SUR bar trying to remain relevant was just really sad. Wonder if we'll be done with Kristen too, since apparently she really was fired. Finally. Does James still work at SUR, and is he still a lowly busboy? I could see him graduating from busser to bartender.

• Love 1

If James still works there we'll probably see Kristen in at least some scenes.

So I bet season 4 is going to be all about Schwartz and Katie's engagement and planning for the wedding. Basically the same storyline as season 3 but replace Scheana with Katie.

I'm happy about no Stassi. In her reduced role last season she really didn't add much of anything. The rest of the cast proved they could carry the show without her. But now that Kristen is presumably in a reduced role this upcoming season, where will they get their drama from? Maybe she'll beg Lisa for her job back and then she'll resume tormenting Tom and Ariana.

I wonder if Val will be back?

I certainly hope not.

TiVo tells me there will be a Season 3 marathon on August 1, in case anyone here lost their DVR to their crazy ex and needs to rerecord it.

• Love 2

If James still works there we'll probably see Kristen in at least some scenes.

So I bet season 4 is going to be all about Schwartz and Katie's engagement and planning for the wedding. Basically the same storyline as season 3 but replace Scheana with Katie.

I'm happy about no Stassi. In her reduced role last season she really didn't add much of anything. The rest of the cast proved they could carry the show without her. But now that Kristen is presumably in a reduced role this upcoming season, where will they get their drama from? Maybe she'll beg Lisa for her job back and then she'll resume tormenting Tom and Ariana.

Love 'em or hate 'em (or somewhere in between like me), Kristen and Stassi were the two driving forces behind the show.  Their stories intertwined with all others and stirred drama along the way.

I'll give the season a go but if only the rest of the cast remains, I'm not sure I'll be interested.  The others are ONLY interesting because of Krisen and Stassi.  On their own, they are as boring as paint drawing.  (Dollar bet that Tom S's proposal to Kristen was to keep the cameras rolling on themselves).

I would very much like to see what's next for Kristen and Stassi - beyond Sur...assuming good things, of course.  I'd watch *that* show.

Edited by Jextella

Stassi did a ole lot of nothing last season and was almost completely irrelevant, imo. She can stay far away, afaic. Kristen, OTOH, should never leave. Her crazy is quite entertaining most of the time.

• Love 2