Type keyword(s) to search

Third Watch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Favorite character: Cruz..(yeah yeah I know the majority of the fans hated her but I tend to love characters like that because they have soften them up sometime) and I liked basically everyone else.

Least favorite: Faith (especially after she became detective which she shouldn't even had made in the first place and of course when she fought w/Cruz for no reason at all just because she didn't like her I half think she liked fighting w/Cruz)  & Sasha (post Rat Bastard) She didn't have to do that to Cruz. sometimes Bosco (for the way he treated Cruz I know she wasn't innocent either but that's no excuse for his attitude towards her)

I love Bosco!  Hot-headed, brash but if I were in trouble, he would be the cop that I wanted to save me.  He wouldn't hesitate.  Next would be Sully -- smart and calm.  The opposite of Bosco -- the yin-yang of Third Watch

• Love 3

No favorites. 

Decided to watch this show again and it didn't take me long to realize why I stopped watching it in the second season.

Boring.

The personal stories that I could care less about, almost no rescue scenes, plus the corruption of the NYPD, which makes a lot os sense today more than it did at the time of the show.

The acting is pitiful for the most part. 

Did I mention the corruption?

14 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

No favorites. 

Decided to watch this show again and it didn't take me long to realize why I stopped watching it in the second season.

Boring.

The personal stories that I could care less about, almost no rescue scenes, plus the corruption of the NYPD, which makes a lot os sense today more than it did at the time of the show.

The acting is pitiful for the most part. 

Did I mention the corruption?

The entire series is now available somewhere?

That a character went out as a suicide bomber after a drug lord after so much of the show was based around surviving 9/11 was foul.  Because Sgt Cruz broke out and returning her lead to the  turning an Emergency with cops into The Shield lite should leave no doubt to my least favorite character.

Carlos Nieto going from a socially dysfunctional ex foster child paramedic to husband and father had about the best total arc.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Raja said:

The entire series is now available somewhere?

Not that I know of.

Library DVDs. But still couldn't watch past the first episodes of season 2. It wouldn't matter anyway because my local library only has the first two seasons.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Library DVDs. But still couldn't watch past the first episodes of season 2. It wouldn't matter anyway because my local library only has the first two seasons.

The first two seasons are the only ones that got released on DVD.

• Love 1

Hoping with all the advances in tv viewing now, there might be some other people out there who might have binge-watched Third Watch recently...

I watched Third Watch when it was on in the early 2000's and I loved it then too. My husband and I started binge-watching it about a month or so ago and love it even more now. And the great part was because I had not seen it in reruns, it was all like seeing it for the first time again. The only part I remotely remembered was the tragic story of Sully and Tatiana and even that I didn't remember all the details.

Just watched the series finale last night and cried along with the cast in their final moments as an ensemble cast. I hate when you binge watch like this - you feel the characters are part of your life and you look forward to "seeing" them each night you binge watch. ("Let's stay up and watch just one more episode") And now I miss the characters already.

Despite all the advances unless you kept a copy of a broadcast all these or found a bootleg nobody has getting beyond season 2 since since it was dropped from syndication.

What I remember most about the finale was that it seemed gross that a series that was so tied into the aftermath of 9/11 from its third season onward would go out with a cop turning herself into a suicide bomber.

• Love 1
On 7/31/2018 at 11:29 AM, llewis823 said:

Firestick has all 6 seasons.

I'm kinda new to the streaming genre, but we do have a Firestick. I hope this isn't off-topic, but can you offer details of how to watch the show? I was a loyal viewer, but my husband never watched it. He'd love it, though. Thank in advance!

I found it on Terrarium TV and you just search for "Third Watch". All 6 seasons come up. I seriously miss the characters - it seemed like they were part of my real life. (I know - dorky - but true.) I was the same with Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere. lol

And if your husband ever watched Hill Street Blues, a lot of the actors make appearances on Third Watch, but not as their characters on HSB. Third Watch always reminded me of the more modern version of HSB.

• Love 2

I didn't watch Hill Street Blues, but I, too, loved Third Watch. I really started because Davis was so pretty, but I stayed for all of the characters. I'll forever say that Bosco is 1 of the very best characters to ever grace the TV screen. I loved him, & I've followed him since, not as much as I'd like, he should really act more. 

Thanks for the intel, @llewis823, I'll look it up!

• Love 2

So if you did not watch Hill Street Blues, find that on Terrarium TV too and binge watch the heck outta it. It is my husband's all time favorite show and I had never watched it until we binge watched about 2 years ago. Now it is one of my all-time favorites too. If you loved Third Watch, you'll love HSB too. (And there are like 7 seasons so you have plenty to watch too! 

• Love 2

I think most of the characters were my favorite at different times. I actually came in late to the party, season 3, I believe. One night, I was flipping through channels, & I just happened upon the scene where Davis & Alex were in the shower together. I cannot tell a lie, seeing Davis in the shower definitely caught my attention. Not knowing any history, I didn't know that he & Alex had just gotten together. I seriously loved them for the 3 episodes they were together, which, again, was my intro to the show. 

I started watching for Davis & Alex, & I stayed for Bosco. As much as I didn't want to, I loved him. At first, I couldn't stand him, then I softened up to him. I loved Faith, too, & I loved them as partners, & am so glad they never went there romantically (although, I think they both had a deep love for each other, that could've easily turned into more). I loved Davis, & I loved Sully, especially after the Tatiana ordeal (no spoilers, just in case). Carlos really did have the best character arc; I couldn't stand him at first, but I grew to love him. Doc, of course, was the perfect guy, until he snapped. 

I never warmed to Kim or Jimmy, & Bobby was gone when I started, I only saw him in reruns, when I already knew what happened. While I wasn't a fan of Cruz, I do like that she added drama to the show, & she was fun to watch (plus, she got Bosco naked!). 

It's so funny, to this day, when I run across a Third Watch character elsewhere, I always call them by their Third Watch name. The Candyman was on the remake of The Odd Couple, & every time I saw him, I'd think 'there's The Candyman from Third Watch!'

I just started binging on Roku TV. This is awesome for me because I didn't really get into the show until season 4 in its original run. It is like seeing everyone as babies.

I love me some Doc and watching I can see things in every episode that led to the unravel.

I look at that smile of Jimmy as he goes back and forth with Kim and wonder if that's what got LeAnn Rhimes.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

FYI: All Six seasons of Third Watch our all on Roku. 

It's a show I always wanted to check and thought it would turn up on Peacock since it aired on NBC back in the day. 

Currently I'm on Season 5 and will have more thoughts on the series as a whole when I'm done with it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I finally found the time to post my thoughts on Third Watch after years of wanting to see the show, thinking that perhaps it wouldn't happen since it wasn't actually on any streaming platforms until one day, I saw all six seasons were on Roku. So, without any throwback shows to binge, I delved in. 

And I will say that my favorite season is Season 2. It felt like the show finally gelled with more character interaction, and I was more invested in the episodes than I was in Season 1, except for a few standouts. It felt balanced with the stories of the paramedic/firefighter and the police. But in a way, I could see why Bobby Cannavale chose to leave the series because the series had developed most of the characters except for Bobby, which made me feel like the writers didn't have a firm hand in the character. I mean, it took his death to have him have an introspective episode. Yet a memorable scene was at the end of the episode when Bobby died, as each character got their own reaction as "Only Time" by Enya concluded with Kim, who knew him the longest and was his partner, who his death would have the most effect on.

Nonetheless, I have to say my least favorite season is 6, which is the series' last. Someone from the OZ Network blog Ranking Every Episode of Third Watch – The Oz Network (wordpress.com) had the enormous task of ranking every episode of the series, and I had to agree with their assessment that the season's episodes felt like they came out of Criminal Minds and CSI. And they did, as I remember the now heavily police-focused episodes centering on serial killers and a mobster out for revenge. While the firefighters were thrown a tiny bone and the paramedics were hanging on by a trembling thread. And don't get me started on those vampire worshipers holding Emily hostage in the second to last episode. Sigh... 

Regardless of the quality of the writing, I will say the cast never brought anything less than their A game. 

My Season Rankings of Best to Worst 

Edited by Forever8
  • Like 1
On 5/21/2022 at 6:28 AM, Forever8 said:

FYI: All Six seasons of Third Watch our all on Roku. 

It's a show I always wanted to check and thought it would turn up on Peacock since it aired on NBC back in the day. 

Currently I'm on Season 5 and will have more thoughts on the series as a whole when I'm done with it. 

I put the Roku app on Firestick and got rerouted back to Amazon with only the first two seasons available but when I ran  the title on Justwatch today and it shows all 6 seasons on Tubitv

• Like 1

As I am just starting the re-watch  the new guy on East New York seems almost a direct copy of Coby Bell's Officer Davis. Both are winning a lot of foot chases.  The first big rescue in an episode 10 building explosion and I am thinking 25 years later none of the present batch of shows is doing it any better.  Maybe modern show are lite better but they wanted the audience to have an in there with the firefighters feeling. 

On 8/14/2018 at 6:48 AM, nkotb said:

It's so funny, to this day, when I run across a Third Watch character elsewhere, I always call them by their Third Watch name. The Candyman was on the remake of The Odd Couple, & every time I saw him, I'd think 'there's The Candyman from Third Watch!'

Bosco who just showed up as a beat cop 25 years later on Will Trent and Carlos Nieto is now the ex husband to the lead on NCIS: Hawai'i gets that treatment from me also.  On the other hand The Wire made the Bunk and I doubt if Candyman made the entire run that would have changed.

Speaking of Candyman he was there as I just got to the first major shootout episode which became a seasonal feature. I'm guessing it was originally a November sweeps episode and not pushed forward to one of the first episodes as shows do now to avoid the quick cancellation hook.

• Love 1

20 episodes into season 1. I had forgotten how much hit music was used in the background as environmental music, like on The Wire , as opposed to a soundtrack use. I do wonder if the music industry was part of the reason only 2 seasons made it to DVD.

I had forgotten all of the street justice, all the way to feeding a gang leader to his rivals to be killed. A friendly fire shooting of a civilian. But most of all, with a remembrance of future stories that the paramedics patrolled just like the cops between calls.

• Like 1

Third Watch is now airing on the HLN network, weeknights, from 7-11pm, CST.  It’s in season 2, right now; last night, one of the episodes was the one where Faith tells Fred about her abortion (that he thought was a miscarriage). It just reminds me how criminally underrated this show was; great cast, great writing, greatly overlooked.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am sitting here riveted to my TV screen watching the HLN reairing of Third Watch

On 4/13/2023 at 9:43 AM, nkotb said:

It just reminds me how criminally underrated this show was; great cast, great writing, greatly overlooked.

WORD! Right now it's S4Epi1 It's during the blackout and Fred has had a heart attack in the elevator he and Faith were stuck in. I mean she friggin climbs up the elevator shaft, then gets the doors open, then carries him down flights of stairs as Bosco pulls up. Man it's been so long since I've been absolutely engrossed in a tv show and it's the second time around for me!

The shows network television are putting out today compared to Third Watch are nothing but milktoast dipped in pablum filler for between commercials. 

Edited by OLynn33
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

The other night was the episode “Falling”, which is the episode Bosco finally breaks down, to Faith, about his experience on 9/11 (like 7 months later). First of all, I was sobbing, but then, I was mad, because Jason Wiles/Bosco, was so exceptionally great in that scene, it’s a crime that he didn’t get at least nominated for awards. Such great casting, great writing, great show, I can’t believe it didn’t dominate awards’ shows. 

• Love 1

That first half of season 2 up to the prom night ghosts did feel like a different show. But they were obviously trying something different. I guess back then with long seasons and their production schedule audience feedback lead to a course correction. 

Flashes of the season's ideas showed up in Bobby's death and now I am in that stretch to September 10th, which I didn't like but had the most emotional ending as the off duty watches hopped rides to the twin towers, what became known Ground Zero.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, nkotb said:

I was mad, because Jason Wiles/Bosco, was so exceptionally great in that scene, it’s a crime that he didn’t get at least nominated for awards.

That whole scene was so emotional. When Fred comes to the door sees Bosco and the look he then exchanges with Faith right after the fight about her relationship with Bosco and how he affects her life most notably the Sargeant's exam. All of it. And I feel for all of them. I get Fred's anger. I get Faith's devotion to her partner. She gets Bosco on a level no one else does and did. It's deep. He didn't have that growing up and it affected him. I mean I couldn't have worked with the guy. Like I said the shows on network tv now are just not on this level. 

• Love 1
On 8/14/2018 at 6:48 AM, nkotb said:

Back to this because with a focus on 911 I had forgotten about it and just came to the school shooting episode at the end of season 2 and The Wire's Marlo Stansfield turns up as a security guard and the first victim. Next up the interviews with real firefighters along with the part time actors of the cast.

Given the last few shootings after watching Bosco and Faith go in alone and then hearing the command come over the radio  saying to wait for ESU which Sully overrode and the other beat cops ignored as help kept coming in. 25 years out the same debates as went on in the fire station are still with us.

Previously on Third Watch, in hindsight Doc was being an ass the entire season. Finally staying in New York to be king of his small domain and letting Dr. Morales go.  The news footage from the actual incident when Jason Sehorn made a celebrity guest appearance with the firefighters who died in the line of duty the year before tag

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/2/2023 at 9:53 AM, Raja said:

Previously on Third Watch, in hindsight Doc was being an ass the entire season

Insert season number not required. It was a carry over story arc. The ass moment that got me was when he accuses Carlos of being too "selfish" to keep and raise his daughter? I'm sorry but what? I guess Doc forgot that he was the one who encouraged Carlos to not be selfish and give up his daughter in what I thought was a very well acted touching scene. "Daddy loves you." Carlos gave up his daughter because he wanted her to have a family and up bringing that he didn’t have. Go sit in the bus Doc and shut up.

Anywayyyy currently watching the Christmas episode from Season 5 and reflecting on how there aren't any holiday episodes of current network shows except for maybe The Connors because they all go into the invented fall finale bullshit. It seems amazing now when you watch older shows from back when television was worth watching and almost every show was airing new episodes right up in some cases to days before Christmas. 

Edited by OLynn33
  • Like 1

While I remembered Gene Simmons turn I was totally surprised when Roy Scheider turned up as the big bad in the two part Superheroes.  The general fallout for Sully and Tatiana is pretty clear but that insane three way shootout. Method Man guesting, with Michael K. Williams as one of the detectives on the rescue run to the hospital sort of a pre The Wire meet up.

But a couple of weeks after Gerald McRaney's run as the cop who killed in the line of duty's PTSD leading to his suicide we have Faith killing to protect Bosco and coming to realize it when she was alone with Fred

• Like 1
On 5/14/2023 at 12:10 AM, littlebennysmom said:

Bummed they stopped airing Third Watch on HLN. 

Currently on The Roku Channel!

I'm just finishing up Season 5 myself. 

• Like 2
On 12/12/2014 at 12:24 PM, ESS said:

Favorite character: Cruz..(yeah yeah I know the majority of the fans hated her but I tend to love characters like that because they have soften them up sometime) and I liked basically everyone else.

Least favorite: Faith (especially after she became detective which she shouldn't even had made in the first place and of course when she fought w/Cruz for no reason at all just because she didn't like her I half think she liked fighting w/Cruz)

I have just gotten to the first confrontation between Faith and Martiza and the Faith/Bosco divorce so the fight seems to be over the soul of little brother and lover Bosco.

In a semi binge mode, so viewing the storyline only weeks, instead of years after Faith performed the "street justice" of staking out a gang leader to be murdered the fight over Anti-Crime's testi-lying to frame the guilty feels different than the doing the right thing as a cop the show was giving us when Sergeant Cruz was brought in as a broadcast TV standards Sgt Mackey of The Shield.

As an older guy Faith plays a whole lot more interesting to me then she was 20 years ago.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2023 at 6:38 PM, OLynn33 said:

Insert season number not required. It was a carry over story arc. The ass moment that got me was when he accuses Carlos of being too "selfish" to keep and raise his daughter? I'm sorry but what? I guess Doc forgot that he was the one who encouraged Carlos to not be selfish and give up his daughter in what I thought was a very well acted touching scene. "Daddy loves you." Carlos gave up his daughter because he wanted her to have a family and up bringing that he didn’t have. Go sit in the bus Doc and shut up.

Anywayyyy currently watching the Christmas episode from Season 5 and reflecting on how there aren't any holiday episodes of current network shows except for maybe The Connors because they all go into the invented fall finale bullshit. It seems amazing now when you watch older shows from back when television was worth watching and almost every show was airing new episodes right up in some cases to days before Christmas. 

As a Christmas Miracle episode Carlos and his brother, Kim and Jimmy along with Sully as a Grinch getting better following Tatiana helped by a miracle kid.  Doc on the other hand is really escalating that spiral towards the bottom. 

Played along with the following episode's weird murder mystery Sasha plays a lot like a repurposed Faith in the script  as opposed to her being a new character when helping Sgt Cruz through her rape. I wonder how I did see her character maybe not knowing of Molly  Price's pregnancy and the need for a substitute before the IAB twist since that part I remember so I am watching for the first time in over a decade somewhat spoiled.

• Like 1

While I forgotten that it was Roy Scheider who played the mob boss in the Tatiana story I must have missed the first appearance of Gene Simmons along introduction of Detective Jelly and Paramedic Grace. Henry Winkler in one of the few roles since the Fonz as Lester the lawyer had to be one of the creepiest folks to ever come over the TV screens.

But there was Faith with street justice again pointing out to the holding cell detainees that he was a child abuser.

• Like 1
On 6/29/2022 at 8:13 AM, Forever8 said:

Nonetheless, I have to say my least favorite season is 6, which is the series' last. Someone from the OZ Network blog Ranking Every Episode of Third Watch – The Oz Network (wordpress.com) had the enormous task of ranking every episode of the series, and I had to agree with their assessment that the season's episodes felt like they came out of Criminal Minds and CSI. And they did, as I remember the now heavily police-focused episodes centering on serial killers and a mobster out for revenge. While the firefighters were thrown a tiny bone and the paramedics were hanging on by a trembling thread. And don't get me started on those vampire worshipers holding Emily hostage in the second to last episode. Sigh...

With Jimmy gone and thus most of the fire stories gone and no forth paramedic we got stuck on their love lives and mostly treating PD. While PD had three episode arcs running anti-crime and detective squad A&B stories just begging to be binged. At the ending scene wedding when Sully starts his narration of where everybody ended up they ignored Eddie Cibrian and Kim Raver's cameos to update us on Stu's, who showed up in the last quarter season, future as the 55 Squad Lieutenant. I guess he was being groomed to represent fire incase a last minute reprieve order came.

Lieutenant Swersky making a late career charge up the ranks before his retirement being the second forgotten surprise

• Like 1