Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Ke Koho Mamao Aku (Longshot)

• Start Topic

I am literally 20 mins in and had to pause to comment on the RIDICULOUS stunt double they used for Scott Caan while running through the lava garden. The guy was a foot taller and much skinnier. It was such a drastic difference that I thought the suspect had a friend and now they were chasing two suspects! I rewound it twice! Wanh waahhh

• Love 3

I am literally 20 mins in and had to pause to comment on the RIDICULOUS stunt double they used for Scott Caan while running through the lava garden. The guy was a foot taller and much skinnier. It was such a drastic difference that I thought the suspect had a friend and now they were chasing two suspects! I rewound it twice! Wanh waahhh

Heheh.  Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that!  Not a good job covering up the stunt man and I think he was clean-shaven as well.  Almost original Star Trek level bad when hiding the stunt man.

Absolutely loved the location shooting on this one.  You can always find something new and usually beautiful on Hawaii.  That fake Mars landscape looked pretty convincing.  Don't recall ever seeing a stolen horse plot before.

• Love 2

Where was Grover's family? He's spending Christmas Eve at Danny's house without his family. 

Danny should give McGarett that ticket to pay, or the Governor to make disappear. They must know judges to get rid of tickets.

• Love 2

"Danny" also had different shoes on when he was running on the lava than when he walked up to the truck at the beginning of the scene. And the guy who Kono tackled should have scraped half of his face off on the lava rock. That stuff is like tiny bits of sharp glass.

Steve cutting down the tree in the nature preserve made zero sense. He has always been shown as someone who has a deep respect for the island.

Do Christmas tree really cost that much in Hawaii? I can see them being expensive, but not that much. And here in Michigan you can usually get a free tree by the day before Christmas, assuming they haven't sold out. After all, the trees are worthless on Christmas Day.

• Love 2

I am literally 20 mins in and had to pause to comment on the RIDICULOUS stunt double they used for Scott Caan while running through the lava garden.

Heheh.  Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that! 

Me three!

Steve cutting down the tree in the nature preserve made zero sense. He has always been shown as someone who has a deep respect for the island.

Not to mention the illegalities of it. He's a cop! But I totally agree about his respect for the island. That bothered me.

• Love 1

I hope we get more angry Max in the future. He was intense! I loved the Star Trek references and the fact that "Janice" was a Janice Rand figurine!

Kono and Danny talking about Grace growing up was great. This show always gets good results with unusual character pairings. Of course Kono tells Danny that he doesn't have to lie to Grace anymore so what does he do? Lies to her when she figures out he's not happy about something! She's not the type of kid who will be upset that Dad couldn't get a "real" Christmas tree. (Also, I live in British Columbia. You call that a tree?!?!)

Another entry in the 5-0 corruption file: now they've got Pua disregarding the law that he was so eager to uphold! I loved his perp booklet with the shots of McGarrett and Danny strategically placed. Between that and his warrantless search of Danny's property, he'll be ready for 5-0 in no time!

The astronaut attempting to give CPR to the murder victim was strange. Chest compressions alone are useless and I'd expect an astronaut to know that!

Liquid nicotine was also used as a poison on a recent episode of the Canadian historical drama Murdoch Mysteries. Great minds think alike?

• Love 2

Me three!

Not to mention the illegalities of it. He's a cop! But I totally agree about his respect for the island. That bothered me.

Steve always thinks he's beyond the law but I also found it out of character for him to do what he did with the tree.

• Love 1

So, what was more touching - the reunion of Urban Myth and his owner, or Max and his friend making up their differences?

I don't think Christmas trees usually cost that much in Hawaii but by then there were only a few left and the seller was trying to get as much as he could.  But still, CUTTING DOWN A TREE IN A PROTECTED FOREST - really, Steve! That was totally out of character, even to help out a friend.  I knew the fine was going to be as much or more as the Christmas tree would have cost.

How old is Gracie now, thirteen?  I doubt she has believed in Santa Claus for a long time now.  But I did like Kono and Danny's talk about her, it was sweet.

I can't say I noticed the terrible stunt double but I don't really pay attention to stuff like that. I doubt it was worse than the time they fired forty rounds through a hotel room door, but when they opened the door there wasn't a bullet hole to be seen.

Lots of stuff to criticize but I still enjoyed the episode.

• Love 1

This episode was a complete filler, which is fine, but it seemed like it was just slapped together in a rush.  There was very little Steve.  I guess Alex was taking a break after the grueling 100th episode, and that's fine.  He probably needed a break after that one.  He was basically in the opening, a scene or two in the middle and then only at the end.  Second, I like Max, but he doesn't deserve a side story.  I'm sorry, I just don't find the character interesting enough.  The story itself just was not interesting, and I felt like the writers just had to put together a "Christmas" episode.  As for Steve cutting down the tree, that seemed out of character and rushed too.  I mean it happened immediately within the first minute of the opening.

Season five has been fantastic so far.  So I won't begrudge this one misstep, and I guess the writers had to cram in their requisite "Christmas episode."  I only wish that the writers had followed up a bit on Steve's ordeal in the 100th episode or Danny's actions with his brother.  Let's hope the episodes coming up in January involve either of those two stories.  I'm surprised how many episodes Hawaii Five-O has been assigned for season five - 25 episodes!  That's alot!!  I'm happy.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 1

Delurking to say:

1. I'm surprised that Steve never told Dan-O, "Since did you care about the law so much?" re: the tree (and does Oahu have tree farms in real life, by the way?).
  2. Besides, Steve believes that justice and the law always equate, and that exigent circumstances can come into play - for friends as well as victims.
  3. Even Danny was surprised by Steve's Clark Griswold bit.  Why has nobody explicitly mentioned that yet?
  4. What, no "Aloha Mars" jokes?
  • Love 1

I was kind of relieved when 'Janice' turned out to be an action figure of Yeoman Rand (although I should have figured it would be some type of 'science fiction' thing).  I knew it wasn't going to be about a real girl, but I thought it might have been something a little more creepy, like an anatomy skeleton named Janice or something like that.

The scene where Urban Myth and his owner were reunited was good, but I immediately thought of the Budweiser Superbowl commercial where the Clydesdale found his owner after the parade (and then I wanted a beer).

• Love 4

3 things I noticed:

The bull used for bull riding are highly trained and the one that "Santa Claus" was riding was taught to be fairly gentle. His spins weren't tight, and his bucks were only about half as high as a good bull. (Yes, I do watch bull riding, and cheer for the buills -- why do you ask? LOL)

The correct responce to "Live long and prosper is not "Live long and prosper" but "Peace and Long Life". Any decent Star Trek fan would know that. (I'm not near so much of a fan as Max is supposed to be and I know that!) It would be like a Jew responding to "Sholom aleichem" with "Sholom aleichem" instead of "Aleichem sholom" !

You really can't get stud fees off a stolen horse.  Stud fees are based on the actual horse, its records of wins and all, and its lineage.  The rancher who stole Urban Myth didn't have any of that.

Pretty rushed, all-in-all, including the chopped up carol at the end.

The astronaut attempting to give CPR to the murder victim was strange. Chest compressions alone are useless and I'd expect an astronaut to know that!

When he started I thought "He's wearing a helmet -- good luck with that!"

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

The Mars Rover "Pilgrim"(John Wayne reference?) and the Astronaut Richard Royce, finding the Cowboy Keone Maka, on the Lunar surface was funny. I did notice that the CPR would not have helped much. But atleast he did try.

I liked the "Old Style" H50 music that played when the team landed in the helicopter at the crime scene. Also like all the scenes of the island as they flew over. The snow on the mountain by the observatory threw me. Really there's snow on the Hawaiian mountain?? Snow board down to surf, lol

$750.00 for a decent Christmas tree?? Should have bought the "Charlie Brown" ones or as Steve said, buy artificial. Steve with his new looking chain saw cut a tree in a reserve. Then Officer Pua Kai found pine pitch(or was it palm pitch) on the roof of Dano's Camaro? Why not use Steve's truck? Or is it still in the shop? Then the lady witness that pointed out Steve and Danny called then howlies. But his collection of faces to choose from didn't give them much of a chance of getting misidentified. When he finally tracked them down at Danno's, it was cute that his 1200(?) dollar fine and tree confiscating would wait for the next day. Surprised that Duke didn't intervene. Rachel probably will be back for Christmas.

Kono was driving Danny some of the time. I liked his talk to her about Grace growing up. Grover would know that part with his own daughter. I'm glad she had a good time with the gang at the house. Kamekona and Flippa sang well. The whole house did. Liked that a lot. But Kamekona didn't cater it?

When Kono, Danno, and Grover met Al Mokuau, and Jill Kuikahi at the Rodeo, I actually thought she had something to do with the horse and the murder. I did like later when Al was going to kill the horse that I think Grover was the one who wounded him.Then he screamed for an ambulance.
Also Kono talking about her rope skills should have foretold that she would take down ranch hand Luke Pakele. She set a new record on tying him up. Watch out Adam, lol. After Luke was let off the hook, I figured it was either Al or Jill, or both. But his story that he was helping the horse and that the owners were paid and didn't care all melted away upon that reunion.

Was nice that we had more Kono, Danny, Max and Grover! But Cho didn't leave HQ and Steve had meetings with the Governor.

Here is Janice, Janice Rand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Max and Dr. Sanjeet Dhawan were funny fighting and disagreeing with each others discoveries. It was good that Max didn't know it all and Sanjeet was wrong always like on some shows. "I will always be your friend", Max said in his best "Dieing Spock" voice. " Live long and prosper." was nice. Also Grover calling it a doll, instead of action figure was funny. I figured he wouldn't, "get it".

I had tears in my eyes when Jeff Harrison, trainer, and Urban Myth got together in the corral. it was nice to have Detective Dean Alawa with Danny, Kono and Grover at the reuniting. To many times on these types of shows the local cops are pushed aside so the team stars.

No Duke(later saw him in a picture at party on CBS.com), Fong, Jerry, or Grover's family at Danny's party. I know not all members go to all get togethers. Also Steve's new friend, Ellie Clayton, she wasn't there.

Edited by webruce
  • Love 1

You know, nobody ever has to cut down a menorah for Hannukah. Just sayin'.

Loved the geekiness, but that's about all I can say for this one. I thought it was strange that besides Grover being there and not with his family Adam and Jerry weren't. Adam's family is all dead and Jerry's mother moved to get away from him.

I figured Al had fake papers for the horse and maybe some of the ones who used his stud services were equally corrupt and aware of his true identity.

• Love 2

The Mars Rover "Pilgrim"(John Wayne reference?) and the Astronaut Richard Royce, finding the Cowboy Keone Maka, on the Lunar surface was funny. I did notice that the CPR would not have helped much. But atleast he did try.

I liked the "Old Style" H50 music that played when the team landed in the helicopter at the crime scene. Also like all the scenes of the island as they flew over. The snow on the mountain by the observatory threw me. Really there's snow on the Hawaiian mountain?? Snow board down to surf, lol

$750.00 for a decent Christmas tree?? Should have bought the "Charlie Brown" ones or as Steve said, buy artificial. Steve with his new looking chain saw cut a tree in a reserve. Then Officer Pua Kai found pine pitch(or was it palm pitch) on the roof of Dano's Camaro? Why not use Steve's truck? Or is it still in the shop? Then the lady witness that pointed out Steve and Danny called then howlies. But his collection of faces to choose from didn't give them much of a chance of getting misidentified. When he finally tracked them down at Danno's, it was cute that his 1200(?) dollar fine and tree confiscating would wait for the next day. Surprised that Duke didn't intervene. Rachel probably will be back for Christmas.

Kono was driving Danny some of the time. I liked his talk to her about Grace growing up. Grover would know that part with his own daughter. I'm glad she had a good time with the gang at the house. Kamekona and Flippa sang well. The whole house did. Liked that a lot. But Kamekona didn't cater it?

When Kono, Danno, and Grover met Al Mokuau, and Jill Kuikahi at the Rodeo, I actually thought she had something to do with the horse and the murder. I did like later when Al was going to kill the horse that I think Grover was the one who wounded him.Then he screamed for an ambulance.

Also Kono talking about her rope skills should have foretold that she would take down ranch hand Luke Pakele. She set a new record on tying him up. Watch out Adam, lol. After Luke was let off the hook, I figured it was either Al or Jill, or both. But his story that he was helping the horse and that the owners were paid and didn't care all melted away upon that reunion.

Was nice that we had more Kono, Danny, Max and Grover! But Cho didn't leave HQ and Steve had meetings with the Governor.

Here is Janice, Janice Rand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Max and Dr. Sanjeet Dhawan were funny fighting and disagreeing with each others discoveries. It was good that Max didn't know it all and Sanjeet was wrong always like on some shows. "I will always be your friend", Max said in his best "Dieing Spock" voice. " Live long and prosper." was nice. Also Grover calling it a doll, instead of action figure was funny. I figured he wouldn't, "get it".

I had tears in my eyes when Jim Harrison and Urban Myth got together in the corral. it was nice to have Detective Dean Alawa with Danny, Kono and Grover at the reuniting. To many times on these types of shows the local cops are pushed aside so the team stars.

No Duke(later saw him in a picture at party on CBS.com), Fong, Jerry, or Grover's family at Danny's party. I know not all members go to all get togethers. Also Steve's new friend, Ellie Clayton, she wasn't there.

Duke was at the party.

• Love 1

The scene where Urban Myth and his owner were reunited was good, but I immediately thought of the Budweiser Superbowl commercial where the Clydesdale found his owner after the parade (and then I wanted a beer).

I checked out that commercial and the Budweiser Clydesdale commercial with the puppy and I am now all teary-eyed.  I could also do with a beer.

• Love 3

I did rewatch the end of the episode and did notice Duke and the absence of Adam.

i also noticed as pointed out in another forum, that when thry paned back away from the house so you could see the group singing in the window, that Santa's sleigh flew past the moon.

i also noticed as pointed out in another forum, that when thry paned back away from the house so you could see the group singing in the window, that Santa's sleigh flew past the moon.

I missed that! Hope I can find it online somewhere.

Yeah, that rang totally false for me as well.  Not the disregard for rules and laws--that's normal Steve--but the disregard and disrespect for the island was totally out of character.  In character would be for Steve to sneak back, steal the $750 tree, and set it up for Danny.

I like how Steve and Danny have carguments, but Danny and Kono have thoughtful and insightful philosophical conversations while driving.  I liked that bit of character business--that rang true.  Now we need to see Danny and Chin drive somewhere together.  I'll bet they talk about fishing and football.

I swear in the opening shots, I saw a snow covered mountain.  Was that part of the "Mars set" and the research team doctored up some mountain with snow?

I learned something new today!  I looked it up.  Yes, there is sometimes snow on the three (?) highest mountain peaks.

Edited by BooksRule

In the episode last year where Chin was almost killed in the perp's basement (the one who collected victims's fingers and put them in a wall safe), he talked to the bad guy about snow in Hawaii and even skiing on the Big Island at times.

The ep you're describing will be repeated on CBS on Friday, December 27th at the special time of 8PM Eastern/7PM Central according to the show's press release page on the CBS Press Express website.

Actually standards changed back in 2010. Now constant, fast compressions are considered more important than than trying to stop them to do rescue breathing. 

http://www.lifesavingsociety.com/media/100282/98pushhardpushfastinsert2011.pdf

Overall I liked this episode, although I did laugh at Danny talking about how he might not be home in time for Christmas. I just thought "you know Danny, most cops don't actually solve a murder in a single shift". 

Also when Chin was talking to Officer Pua he said that Danny was on Hawaii Island. Now last time I was in Hawaii was probably 18 years ago but I thought locals called it "the big island".

The ep you're describing will be repeated on CBS on Friday, December 27th at the special time of 8PM Eastern/7PM Central according to the show's press release page on the CBS Press Express website.

One small correction: Dec. 27 is this Saturday.

Edited by edmattes76342

One small correction: Dec. 27 is this Saturday.

Thanks. Anyway... It's on sometime this weekend. I'm pretty sure on Friday, but an hour earlier than usual. Double check your local listings to be sure, if you're interested in watching.

Edited to add: I double checked the press release posted at CBS Press Express for the rebroadcast. It DOES say this ep repeats Friday, December 27th at 8PM Eastern. Which we know is invalid, because Friday's the 26th.

I also looked at my local CBS listings for Friday night at the TitanTV (local TV listings) site--I didn't think of CBS.com's schedule until just now. Anyway... Titan TV shows NO H50 ep on CBS Friday night at 8 Eastern, but rather other network programming; so I'm now assuming the ep in question will air *Saturday* night at 8 Eastern/7 Central, for anyone interested in watching it.

Now *confirmed* via the network program schedule on CBS.com: The ep where Chin gets kidnapped by the serial killer who puts his victims' fingers in his wall safe as "trophies" of his kills *will air on CBS *Saturday* night at 8PM Eastern/7PM Central*.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Finally watched this episode on Xmas night, which isn't a bad time to do so!  Cheesy as some people would describe it (my sophisticated urban sister, for example), the horse recognizing its long-missing owner (horse's POV) clear across the paddock and racing to meet him, well, my eyes got dusty.  While I was never one of those teen-aged girls who was into horses, that was a beautiful animal.  I liked that Danny was able to calm him and walk him away from the pit - Scott Caan has competed in rodeo, and playing a character who never did any of that must have grated just a little.

I really appreciated how they didn't just shoot on the Big Island, but took care to cast different actors and background extras.  It didn't look like Oahu doubling for Kauai or Niihau or Maui or Molokai.  Hawaii Island is big, and tremendously varied in terrain.  Both Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea top 13000 feet above sea level (Mauna Loa's total height from the ocean floor is over 30000 feet - I geek a lot), both can have snow (blizzards this week), and both have multiple observatories.  And there is an area on Mauna Loa where they trained Apollo astronauts for moon walks, as well as tested the moon and mars rovers.

So apart from the tree vandalism I liked it.  Seems a little out of character for McGarrett, and while the blue spruce part of the trees was beautiful, I agree with above posters that it didn't seem very tree-like.  I think the $750 worked out to $75/branch.

• Love 1