Type keyword(s) to search

Winner Edit vs. Loser Edit: Discuss Amongst Yourselves

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

Purely my own opinion - but Spencer's edit appears to focus on his development as a person through the course of the game, rather than his gameplay.

To me, that smacks of an also-ran edit - as in, "maybe Spencer didn't win the Big Bucks at the end - but he did win at LIFE, which is so much more important."

Or some such horseshit.

• Love 8

Purely my own opinion - but Spencer's edit appears to focus on his development as a person through the course of the game, rather than his gameplay.

To me, that smacks of an also-ran edit - as in, "maybe Spencer didn't win the Big Bucks at the end - but he did win at LIFE, which is so much more important."

Or some such horseshit.

LMAO! But this is a good point.

OK maybe I'm on the "Jeremy wins" train now. I think I was probably just trying to convince myself it was going to be more interesting than it will actually be.

ETA: But then again I think Jeremy is getting more of that same type of edit, especially after reading green's post. I would say of the 3 most likely to win, Kelley is the one getting the best gameplay edit actually.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

LMAO! But this is a good point.

OK maybe I'm on the "Jeremy wins" train now. I think I was probably just trying to convince myself it was going to be more interesting than it will actually be.

ETA: But then again I think Jeremy is getting more of that same type of edit, especially after reading green's post. I would say of the 3 most likely to win, Kelley is the one getting the best gameplay edit actually.

I would have agreed with you - right up until the last few TCs...

Kelley is getting a fairly good edit, but the editors are also showing a lot of eye-rolling, which doesn't always look that good and IMO, detracts from a 'winning' edit.

This. I'm of the definite impression Kelley is currently getting the "Superior strategist, but letting success go to his/her head" edit, which is usually a precursor to the "Pride goeth before a TC blindside" edit. So the facial exercises definitely don't bode well for her continued presence in the game, IMHO.

• Love 2

Kelley's edit reads as "she is doing so much stuff that she's impossible to ignore". She's found two idols under suspenseful circumstances, played one successfully, and has helped rally the masses in the eliminations of Joe, Wigles and Stephen x2. This is pretty typical of a female winner edit.

Jeremy and Spencer have gotten a lot more decorative content. Baby, family, Pinocchio, fishing, etc. etc. Other than the Stephen boot, Spencer has gotten a lot more footage than his impact on the game would suggest. Jeremy's untelegenic gameplay is made up for with emotional stuff. Both of these are typical for male winners.

tl;dr: too soon to tell for sure! But rooting for Kelley.

• Love 1

Jeremy on the edit, from EW interview with Dalton Ross:

I knew that Spencer, Tasha, and myself were at the end. All three of us had really strong cases and I knew that any one of us could win, so show all of us! We had strong games. And Kelley also played a crazy game. She played a hell of a game. So any one of us could win this thing, so show all of us. Show as much as possible. I don’t care how much you show me — just show me the check afterwards.

Agreed! 

• Love 6

There was talk about Nick's confessional count in his thread and it got me wondering about the confession count for this season. I thought there was a seperate thread for but I couldn't find it so I thought I'd post here.

Tai - 27

Jason - 23

Nick - 23

Debbie - 22

Scot - 22

Aubry - 18

Michele - 16

Cydney - 12

Joe - 9

Julia - 6

Tai and Debbie are the only players left to have confessionals in every ep, but I think that's more indicative of them making good tv than anything to do with whether they're winners or losers.

Nick's 11 confessionals in yesterday's ep is the most for a single ep so far. And it's even more interesting considering he wasn't really featured too much before this. Could be indicative of him being a big factor from now on or maybe he gets booted next ep.

• Love 3

It's nice that there are no Purple Kellys this season.  They're not doing a great job showing Julia, but we saw her on Exile (a lot of people, I think, would have been totally ignored over there) and I'm not like "who?? what??" about her.  Nobody's super exciting to me, but at least I have a sense of who everybody is.

• Love 1

Seems to me the editing really suffers when they have one player that they really like and want the audience to root for. I'm a Spencer fan, but he shouldn't have the entire season built around him last year, especially when he was heading to a complete obliteration during FTC. Just like I think Worlds Apart suffered from too much Mike. 

So I get that this season is unpopular but I'm actually enjoying the even-handed representation that most of the players are getting. 

• Love 4

I'm certain I'm in the minority on this, but I now strongly question whether or not The Winner's/Loser's edit is even a thing any more.

Why?  Because of the fans.

Ever since fans began to recognize the signs of a particular edit, they started discussing said edits on open forums - which TPTB can read, same as everybody else.

Think the same Production - which spends millions on security, NDAs and lawyers to keep a lid on their game's biggest secret - is going to ignore the 'tell' which spoils their cash cow?

Just my opinion.  YMMV.

• Love 4

I don't think it's something you can possibly do without.  You're just never going to edit the winner like Brenda in Caramoan, it's impossible.  And I don't think that 99% of the audience analyzes the edit the way we crazy people do.  For some reason Survivor brings that out in us--one reason I don't watch Project Runway anymore is that nobody who watches that show seems to be aware it's edited at all, just that somehow, coincidentally enough, they just happen to realize how terrible Contestant X is the day she goes home, every time.  Despite all those NDAs and stuff, there are spoilers and detailed boot lists every season; comparatively, the ambiguous evidence of the edit is not much of a problem.

Though I have learned to be humble about my own ability to read edits.  For years Jay on Project Runway's first season was my gold standard of perfect winner's edit--he wasn't the most positively, nor the most negatively portrayed, but the most human and the one who underwent growth exactly the way that fictional heroes are supposed to.  It's only recently that it occurred to me that he wasn't yet the winner when most of the season was on the air--they knew he was a finalist, but because of the format, he didn't win until New York Fashion Week, which happened only about two weeks before the finale was aired.

• Love 6
(edited)

It's really hard for me to prefer Michelle as a winner because editing has showed me so, so, so little of her. But she may be also incredibly good at keeping her emotions in check/hiding her emotions, and giving the camera absolutely no personal drama or self-introspection.  The most emotion I saw from her was at the Tribal Council when Tai kept talking about her not being in the alliance, she stood up for herself there and seemed to be very upset.

I care a lot about Tai, Aubry, and Cydney as winners.  I THINK in that order.  The camera/editing gives a very odd perspective on Cydney.  The editing seems to treat her as a character in someone else's story.  Very much a character in Aubry's but to Tai she's just kind of there.  I think if Cydney won it would be a huge surprise because that's not how editing has been painting things.  For every drama moment Cydney just kind of seems to be on the sidelines.  She instigated some really good shit at Tribals and yet I still think her work in those moves has been underplayed.  Aubry is the 'best' winner but Tai is my 'emotional' winner and Cydney is a wildcard.  If Michelle is the winner than that will be very strange indeed... 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Of the 4, we only got a good bit of info about Aubrey and Tai in the early episodes, Aubrey with her anxiety during the first couple of days that Debbie helped out with, and Tai with his "Tai-ness" on inner beauty, loving animals and plants/trees.  This is why I think its one of them that wins, most likely Aubrey, because Survivor rarely includes a character-developing early story about a female unless they are the winner (or one of the F2 - but less so if its an F3), but almost always includes it about the longest lasting male(s).  We just didn't see as much 'character-building' scenes from Michelle or Cydney.

• Love 2

I tend to disagree with that - I think several female winners in recent years have been gamebots and/or static characters. We got no real development from Sophie, Kim, or even Denise, while characters like Monica and Lisa got tons of story and development. This season, I see Aubry being essentially a female version of Spencer, a "growth arc" character who falls just short of winning. 

On the flip side, Michele got an average of two confessionals per episode pre-merge, mostly narrating her current position, reading the people around her, and looking towards the future. She was objectively irrelevant throughout this entire phase, never even going to tribal prior to the merge, so there was no reason to keep checking in with her thoughts on her tribe or how she felt about the tribe swap. She's only grown from there and it has been incredibly consistent.

Basically, I think Aubry would have the exact same edit if she didn't win, but I can't say the same for Michele. Michele is exactly the kind of player that the show ignores, and this season they had every reason to, and they didn't.

I agree Cydney hasn't gotten much character-building, and she hasn't gotten much about her game as an individual, either. I haven't counted her out, but Michele is definitely in the top for me followed by Aubry.

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think if Cydney won it would be a huge surprise because that's not how editing has been painting things.  For every drama moment Cydney just kind of seems to be on the sidelines.  She instigated some really good shit at Tribals and yet I still think her work in those moves has been underplayed.

I so agree with this and it's why I'm very confused but all the spec I've been seeing about Cydney winning. IMO Cydney's got the least 'winner's edit' of any of the F3. I could see her winning still, but it would surprise me the most. I feel like Cydeny's game has always been a complete mystery and that we have no real idea what he strategy is or ever has been. Plus we haven't gotten much personal stuff from her and she seems to have a lot of stuff what with being an ivy league graduate and apparently having money problems. 

3 hours ago, Xazeal said:

On the flip side, Michele got an average of two confessionals per episode pre-merge, mostly narrating her current position, reading the people around her, and looking towards the future. She was objectively irrelevant throughout this entire phase, never even going to tribal prior to the merge, so there was no reason to keep checking in with her thoughts on her tribe or how she felt about the tribe swap.

This was the primary reason why earlier on I was so convinced Michele was the winner. She was getting so much pre-merge game-related airtime and it was just so odd since, as you said, she never even went to tribal. Plus, like you said, she's playing the kind of game that usually gives someone the invisible edit and besides the few eps recently she has been given pretty decent airtime.

• Love 1
On 5/12/2016 at 3:10 AM, Xazeal said:

I tend to disagree with that - I think several female winners in recent years have been gamebots and/or static characters. We got no real development from Sophie, Kim, or even Denise, while characters like Monica and Lisa got tons of story and development. This season, I see Aubry being essentially a female version of Spencer, a "growth arc" character who falls just short of winning. 

On the flip side, Michele got an average of two confessionals per episode pre-merge, mostly narrating her current position, reading the people around her, and looking towards the future. She was objectively irrelevant throughout this entire phase, never even going to tribal prior to the merge, so there was no reason to keep checking in with her thoughts on her tribe or how she felt about the tribe swap. She's only grown from there and it has been incredibly consistent.

Basically, I think Aubry would have the exact same edit if she didn't win, but I can't say the same for Michele. Michele is exactly the kind of player that the show ignores, and this season they had every reason to, and they didn't.

I agree Cydney hasn't gotten much character-building, and she hasn't gotten much about her game as an individual, either. I haven't counted her out, but Michele is definitely in the top for me followed by Aubry.

Very prescient analysis, and very interesting observations about the confessionals Michele got mid game -

• Love 1
(edited)

DId any of the players this season get that "million dollar" confessional we so often see?  Or the heroic vantage-point shot (staring out to sea, etc.)?

Or are those things just 20/20 in hindsight?

Edited by Special K
spelling matters
8 hours ago, Special K said:

DId any of the players this season get that "million dollar" confessional we so often see?  Or the heroic vantage-point shot (staring out to sea, etc.)?

Or are those things just 20/20 in hindsight?

They are often in hindsight and kinda out of date.  

And ever since they used the helicoptor to shoot Coach in S18, it has often been used more ironically since then. Far from the days of the hero shots of Earl and Yul in the early teens of S.

3 hours ago, thehepburn said:

And ever since they used the helicoptor to shoot Coach in S18...

I'm pretty sure I would have found S18 much more enjoyable had they shot Coach.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, violet and green said:

To think, all those yadayadaya moments of Michele's talking heads were her winner's edit!

That's the funniest thing ever!

I can't remember what she said, but in the final episode right before TC there was a voiceover from Michele, probably talking about her journey.  At that moment I thought, good Lord, the rumors are true.  She is going to win.  That was the one and only time IMO the edit was pointing to her as the winner.

• Love 1

I think Michelle would have gotten more of a winning edit had she done more early on to show. 

Aubry and Tai did more early on so got more edit time. Michelle....didn't do as much early on except

not piss people off and make friends.  Had she done more I think she would have gotten a more equal edit.

I suppose you could make the point that the purposefully didn't edit her in as much to make it more of a surprise but that seems

a little lame. 

5 hours ago, marys1000 said:

I think Michelle would have gotten more of a winning edit had she done more early on to show. 

Aubry and Tai did more early on so got more edit time. Michelle....didn't do as much early on except

not piss people off and make friends.  Had she done more I think she would have gotten a more equal edit.

I suppose you could make the point that the purposefully didn't edit her in as much to make it more of a surprise but that seems

a little lame. 

I think the problem there is, there was nothing to show.  She didn't even go to tribal until day 22.  Obviously the tribes that avoid tribal aren't going to get the screen time.  And if you aren't some character, villain, or Joe/Malcolm/Ozzy type, you are going to have a hard time standing out.  I've seen Michele say in interviews she has seen the mixed reaction to her win, and that, if she did come back again, she would make bigger, bolder moves.  But, that's what she said at the start of the season.  It is always hard to predict how you can play the game until you actually are out there playing.  Obviously making moves didn't earn her the win.  Being social did.  I still prefer a big move making winner, but whatever, Michele has way more money in her bank account than I'll ever see.  So she can laugh at the detractors while she goes to cash her check.

• Love 2

We all know there's a tremendous amount of footage, right? We also know this season was really heavily character-based. There were a lot of good characters: Kyle, Scot, Alecia, Caleb, Tai, Fauxbama, Debbie, Aubry. I mean, a lot! Even Joe, the Most Interesting Man in the World, got shut out. 

I'm not surprised that Michelle got edited out. The editors had a wealth of material.

• Love 2

I guess you have to give them something to work with, right? I had heard about the "watch out Michelle is getting the winner edit" which I didn't believe since I didn't see it. They could have still shown more of her and crafted something or just shown her more pre merge. Maybe, they did but it just wasn't in our face. She wasn't exactly quiet but she was sort of boring. Even, Alecia had more airtime and confessionals pre merge. Although, she had a mini storyline with Scot & Jason thus the footage to show. I don't know what the answer is. I guess I'll be watching more closely next season to see if there is a known difference with the potential winner. That said, I'm afraid to be spoiled early if they start showing someone too much or too little. LOL!!!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

She didn't even go to tribal until day 22.  Obviously the tribes that avoid tribal aren't going to get the screen time.  And if you aren't some character, villain, or Joe/Malcolm/Ozzy type, you are going to have a hard time standing out.  I've seen Michele say in interviews she has seen the mixed reaction to her win, and that, if she did come back again, she would make bigger, bolder moves. 

Its hard to make "big bold moves" when you aren't going to tribal.    The one thing that we didn't see that she could have done is look for the idol.  Maybe she did, but we weren't shown that.  Tai did actively look for the idol, so we got a bit more of him.

Once the merge took place, we did see her more, but her 'story' was less dramatic than the bully boys, and she usually didn't do all that well in the challenges.  Frankly, her play reminded me more of Sandra, who kept very low key, but a social game, and we didn't always get a lot of 'interesting' story or talking heads out of her, but she ended up winning twice.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the biggest Michele spoiler was Probst comparing her to Parvati.  I think he was preparing us...

On 5/21/2016 at 11:05 PM, thehepburn said:

They are often in hindsight and kinda out of date.  

And ever since they used the helicoptor to shoot Coach in S18, it has often been used more ironically since then. Far from the days of the hero shots of Earl and Yul in the early teens of S.

I thought I remembered people referring to such shots with both Mike in WA and Jeremy last season.

Probably hingsight, though, you're right.

Edited by Special K
the letter W is integral to the word Was.
  • Love 1

It's never gonna be as obvious as the first million dollar quote = Richard Hatch's "you can write me the million dollare check" in E1.

Mike's in S30 was "this is a dirty game and I am going to get my hands real filthy" and Jeremy's in S31 was "I need redemption". These are hardly obvious, thus hindsight and out of date.

Michele, our current, talked about how she didt trust Tai in S32E1. Zzzzzzzzzz.

Altho Spencer and Jeremy were both in the water for that heli shot, it was meant for Spencer. Other examples of the heli shot used as a red herring are Ozzy in S23 and Aras doing yoga on the side of the mountain in S27.

e10tv3.jpg

• Love 1
7 hours ago, waving feather said:

I still think right now the two people with the winners edit are Jay and David.

I think Jay has the strongest winner's edit, too. Or more like he just seems like he has the best chance of winning based on what we're seeing. Honestly ever since BvW2 the winner's edit and just the edit in general has sorta shifted away from what it once was so imo it's a lot harder to predict the winner's edit/the winner's edit doesn't always go to the winner.

David could be getting the winner's edit, but it could also be a, "This guy is a great narrator with a great story so let's show him a lot even though he loses," edit. Which is also the vibe I get from Zeke's edit. But I wouldn't be completely shocked or dumbfounded by either of them winning either.

Honestly I think the only person I'd really be shocked to see win is Sunday.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Honestly I think the only person I'd really be shocked to see win is Sunday.

I'd add Will to this list, I think. At first I thought I'd add Bret too but I actually don't know if his drunken boob edit is supposed to be as offputting as it is, or if we're supposed to be charmed by his realness. 

• Love 3

Of those left, I'd rank them:

Most likely: Jay, David (underdogs).  Jay especially went from a position of power, to suddenly being way out numbered.  Yet he knows how to read the room, which is why he felt safe not using his idol.  If the others can go at each other long enough, he may go on an immunity run when it counts, that lands him in the final 3.

Possibly: Zeke (he suddenly was front and center this week, but it will probably depend who he's up against-not sure how likable he'll be), Ken (again, depending who he's up against).  Bret and Sunday don't seem to like the former trio of Ken/David/Jessica for reasons unclear, but Ken seems like a likable guy.  And he can say that he was always on the bottom, yet managed to keep himself in the game.

Probably no chance, but depends on the end game and who they are sitting next to: Bret, Hannah, Adam.  I'd probably throw Bret and Adam in the 'no chance' because I don't know how well liked Adam is, and he is a bit of a flip flopper.  Bret has been nearly invisible all season, and if he continues coming off like a jerk, I don't think that'll work in his favor.  He may be accused of just being Zeke's #2, especially if Zeke goes to the final 3 and says he was just using everyone as pawns, and they went with it.  Hannah likely has less chance of the 3, because I think she's just too flaky, and she hasn't really done much in the game to advance herself.

No Chance: Sunday, Will (two really good goats that will either get the silent treatment from the jury, or be accused of just following someone's lead)

The reason why I doubt Zeke would win is because they have shown him playing too aggressively. If he had won, they would be more subtle about portraying him as a strategic mastermind.

David, on the other hand, was shown playing strategically but at the same time, they highlighted the "human" and personal aspects of him. David has a consistent edit since the beginning of the show. Smart guy who is doing his best despite his anxieties.

Jay is also shown a consistent edit since the beginning. The charming surfer dude who wants to provide for his mother and sister. And I couldn't forget that shot of him tearily telling the camera "I'm gonna win Survivor".

Bret is another one who is coming into his own over the course of the series, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him win as well.

The only people who would be surprising at this point are Will, Hannah and Sunday.

• Love 1

I think there are only two ppl with possible winner's edit: David and Ken. They are probably 2 of the three finalists anyway. Most of the others are not even in the possible winner's category. 

Jay's possibility as winner died in the all important merge ep when he proclaimed that he was the "kingpin" and had Hannah and Brett/Sunday in his pocket, juxaposed with them murdering him in confessionals. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, waving feather said:

The reason why I doubt Zeke would win is because they have shown him playing too aggressively. If he had won, they would be more subtle about portraying him as a strategic mastermind.

The reason I doubt he wins is because they show him being an aggressive ass at TC. Is that what you meant? Because otherwise his game play seems sound to me. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, NutMeg said:

The reason I doubt he wins is because they show him being an aggressive ass at TC. Is that what you meant? Because otherwise his game play seems sound to me. 

His game play is sound, but the confessionals the editors choose to show paints him as someone who thinks he is the general in charge and has the game in the bag. And usually when the editors show that, the opposite happens. 

Like how Jay was shown saying he was the "kingpin" and the next thing you know, his whole alliance crumbled. Heh. After that, he was painted as the underdog (not like the scum that everyone can't wait to get rid of) and was shown confessionals about having a positive attitude despite his position in the game, etc.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3

I think David is getting the winners edit. Which means I'm wrong. LOL!! I agree that a lot of air time and story is about David. I'm guessing Ken makes the Final 3 but he is soooooooooooooooo boring but nice looking to look at. He's a female Michelle. That's not a bad thing since she won her season. I wonder if they are misleading everyone again due to the backlash of her not really getting a storyline but winning. I actually thought Chris was going to win. He was the typical big guy with a lot of airtime. Obviously, I was wrong about him. Yup! I can sure pick the winners. LOL!!!

• Love 2

I was thinking about this thread yesterday as I was wondering who was getting a winner's edit. Four come to mind: David, Ken, Zeke and Jay. David's seems the strongest to me, probably combined with some wishful thinking on my part. Ken, to me, has a Michelle edit, the nice person who gets along with everyone and no one has a grudge against. Zeke is doing well at strategy and if he can survive the next tribal, he has a strong shot. Jay probably has the most interesting story as the person who thought he was on top, going to the bottom, then just sitting back and watching the others play while he sits on his idol.

The only reason I wouldn't mind Sunday winning is because she's from Minnesota. Will is a good one to take to the end. I think Bret will end up being obnoxious around camp and start ragging on people more (if he isn't already) and people will vote him out. Hannah will be targeted as someone who is disposable Maybe I'll do a rewatch of the season and follow the edits of the remaining players (if I have time).

I keep going back to Jay's confessional about how he was going to win the game and take care of his mom and sister.  I see that clip played in my head, and then a cut to the live show where Jay has just been crowned Survivor 33's winner.  I think David also has a strong winner's edit going.  Sadly, I think if Ken makes it to the F3, he probably doesn't win, just based on how quietly he's played the game.  Of course, it all depends on the jury and who they feel outwitted, outlasted and outplayed the best.

There's something to be said for choosing an alliance and sticking to it like glue (Ken/David).  There's also something to be said for watching your alliance crumble into pieces and then doing whatever you have to do to stay in the game (Jay).  Right now Jay is giving me a strong Ozzy/Cook Islands vibe, but Ozzy came in second to the man who chose his alliance mate and stuck with her throughout the entire game.  In other words, I have no clue.  But I'd sure love a Jay/Ken/David F3.  I'd be thrilled with any of them winning the game.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I keep going back to Jay's confessional about how he was going to win the game and take care of his mom and sister.  I see that clip played in my head, and then a cut to the live show where Jay has just been crowned Survivor 33's winner. 

That was also the clip that made me sit up and notice Jay because I'm like hello, apparently TPTB at Survivor wants me to take notice of this dude. In the scene after that, they also played the main Survivor theme for him when he found the HII. Well, he kind of sang it as he was narrating so I'm not sure it actually counts but yeah. They also played a bit of that main theme song when David found his first HII. So my gut feel is it comes down to these two: David and Jay.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, MissEwa said:

I'd add Will to this list, I think. 

I thought about Will, but honestly I wouldn't actually be surprised if he won. I truly doubt he will, but if he did end up winning it wouldn't shock me.

15 hours ago, waving feather said:

David has a consistent edit since the beginning of the show. 

Jay is also shown a consistent edit since the beginning. 

Do you think consistency in edit is a good indicator of the winner though? Aubry got a much more consistent edit than Michelle and she lost to Michelle. I just really think they're editing the show differently lately than they used to so I think it's a lot harder to predict the winner's edit nowadays.

12 hours ago, thehepburn said:

Jay's possibility as winner died in the all important merge ep when he proclaimed that he was the "kingpin" and had Hannah and Brett/Sunday in his pocket, juxaposed with them murdering him in confessionals. 

That's a good point, but that could've been to show his downfall only for him to pick himself back up and redeem himself and win.

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Ken, to me, has a Michelle edit, the nice person who gets along with everyone and no one has a grudge against.

Which makes me think Ken won't win, since I doubt they'd do the same edit for the winner twice in a row. But if Ken wins and that's all they have to show of him then they'd have to. I don't see Ken winning though. I feel like he's been invisible for so long now, more so than Michelle ever was.

I need to look at the confessional counts for this season. They aren't necessarily a great way of predicting the winner, but I still find them interesting.

7 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Now I wish they'd make that change to how they edit the music in challenges.  I can always tell when someone is about to sink the winning basket or whatever because the music crescendoes as they shoot.  I don't know why it bothers me to know the challenge is about to end a few seconds before it does, but it does.  It feels like a spoiler.  

Same with when they start showing an idol search.  Maybe occasionally throw in just some random search footage, maybe have them talk confessional stuff as they search so it's doing double duty?  Now, probably 95% of the time they show someone searching you know they're about to find one.  They could even edit it as a montage of multiple players searching so you have some suspense over who's going to be the finder.  

I so agree with this. The music signaling the winner of the challenge always annoys me even though it's not that big of a deal.

6 hours ago, thehepburn said:

Except that winners arent edited to have downfalls.

I don't know about that, but since I think they've really changed their editing techniques lately that doesn't mean anything imo.

Just for fun, I just rewatched the first episode to see if I could pick up on a winner's/loser's edit among our remaining 8 people. David and Adam tied at 5 each. David's were about his own inadequacies - his fears and phobias, paranoia, afraid of being voted out, not strong, but he is going to work hard at the game. I forgot how he had votes the first tribal. Adam was more of a Millennial tribe narrator, expressing doubt about the shelter they were building and how no one seemed worried about the upcoming storm.  Hannah came next, establishing herself as an outsider among the beautiful people and that there's a cool kid versus misfits dynamic in their tribe. I thought Brett's were the most interesting - he had two and both were about David. He says David needs to man up more and he's suspicious of David and wants to vote him out first.  Will had the next amount, talking about how he was the youngest and how the shelter wasn't working. Sunday had a couple and Jay didn't have any, although he was shown a lot with Taylor and Figgy. Taylor and Figgy talked about him, to, being in their Tri-Force alliance. Taylor and Chris got a lot of talking heads, too, but I only kept track of people still here.

Interesting note: Figgy announces "Maybe I'll get the million dollar check and maybe I'll get a husband." She seemed to be wavering between Taylor and Jay at first. I think she definitely wanted to be another Amber. 

So looking at the first episode and looking at where we are in the game right now, David seems to have the winner's edit. But who knows.

• Love 6

I watched the second episode. I didn't take notes this time, but I think it will be an Adam vs. David showdown, based on editing and what we know now.

• David finds the idol and escapes getting voted out - triumph over weakness
  • Adam continues to narrate on Millennial tribe. I was doing work while watching/listening and I don't remember if he found the idol this episode.
  • Jay is in a cool kids alliance which is doomed to fail. He will be on the wrong side.
  • Brett has a negative edit - complaining about others, down on David. Maybe he and David have a showdown??
  • Sunday - nonentity
  • Hannah is dithering about, especially at tribal.
  • Not much on Will.

Just my thoughts!

• Love 5

Yeah, just based on edit, confessionals & air time I think it's between Adam & David. Jay is getting air time now but it's a little late. Sunday is just there. She's nice but just there like all of the other woman of her age & archetype before her. Brett has gotten air time & his talk about being gay but has been seen as kind of a "nice" bully. Hannah is cute but so flustered & all over the map. I can't decide if she's really like that or just amping it up for the camera. So I think it's between Adam & David with Sunday or Hannah as their goats. That said, I have never predicted a winner (and, I've been watching Survivor since Day 1) let alone a Final 3. LOL!!!!

• Love 1