Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": The Final Week

Ah so when the guest list said "Grimmy" that meant the Grim Reaper, not Nick Grimshaw the British comedian.  That confused me at first.  

It was a good finale, though the middle segment was jarringly short.  I thought they could have just left it out entirely and gone straight to the farewell.  So many cameos!  It was funny to see how many of them were staring dead-eyed at the teleprompter.  It's not like that song had too many lyrics, and they were singing the same verse over and over again.

That shot of a huge crowd outside the building, that was the crew right?

Edited by futurechemist

I can answer the question “who was dancing with Katie Courie”—it was David-Hallberg, a principal dancer for the Bolshoi Ballet and American Ballet Theatre, (the first American to become a principal dancer with the Bolshoi in 2011.)

He was the guest on the Dec. 7 2011 show and I know because I was there. It was a magical show, check it out.   http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/episodes/al1rau/december-7--2011---david-hallberg

David danced a piece from “The Nutcracker” and of course Stephen got in on it, too.

• Love 4

Wanted to share this because I know people here have gone to the show and love SC.

My son goes to school in NYC and stayed an extra day to go to the taping. he's been watching since day one at 9 years old! He was first in the standby line by 8:30 and they only gave out about 10 tickets. He did get one and shook Stephen's hand as SC went in around 10:30 a.m. He said that they didn't show the part where Stephen stood on the desk with a sword in hand and thanked everyone for being there and for their work on the show. He also stated that he stole some jokes from his kids and would only admit it now (his kids and family were in the first row). Audience members also got their own Farewell to Freedom poster.

Coincidentally I was telling a colleague about this and he said his sister-in-law is an editor on the show and that everyone who wants to go to the late Show has a job there. Good stuff!!

• Love 14

I didn't think they were implying that the entire 9 years of The Colbert Report was a Daily Show segment, as someone earlier suggested. At least I hope not. That would've been too much of a steal from when Bob Newhart woke up in bed with Emily and realized that his entire second series about running an inn in Vermont was a dream. (This will always be the all-time champion when it comes to ending a show). 

I'm a huge Randy Newman fan and got very excited when I saw that he was playing the piano for Stephen and Jon on "We'll Meet Again." I probably would've been happy just to hear the three of them sing that song in a low-key finish. But I guess that The Colbert Report deserved to go out with a bang, and something that people will remember and talk about for a long time. 

The other famous use of that song was the ending of "Dr. Strangelove." It was played over the montage of atom bomb explosions decimating the world's population and driving the few survivors into underground bomb shelters, with the lyrics "we'll meet again some sunny day" taking on a sad, bitter irony. Thankfully this was way more upbeat, as we'll get to see Stephen in a month or two. Though it will never be the same without the Colbert Nation.

Edited by bluepiano

The giant sing-a-long was the best, though so many of the people not singing or obviously lip-syncing or singing some other words was sad to me. It was so impressive and wonderful to see the giant turnout. 

Then afterwards was even better. The pan around the set, the empty portrait, up to the roof, then Santa, Unicorn Lincoln, and Alex Trebek. Just perfect.

BTW, I haven't seen any Captain America movies, but I felt like I was missing something when the audience laughed as the camera pans up to show the poster of Stephen as Capt America.

On the minus side, I didn't think The Word was up to snuff. 

So, just in case I wasn't weepy enough (thanks M Darcy for  that link giving the lyrics of the Holland 1945 closing song, which drove me to finish off my last remaining packet of Kleenex, and a few sheets of paper towel), as I've watched the farewell party for about the zillionth time I've started taking note of who wasn't there:

Top of my tribute to melancholia list are Pete Seeger and Maurice Sendack.

As therapy I've started composing a Suq Maddiq list of guests who did not attend the farewell party:

• as others have noted - Jane Fonda
  • Richard Branson
  • Phillip "I teach Sunday school, Motherfucker" Zimbardo
  • Andrew Schlafly
  • Lynn ("and the third commandment is...   ....   .... oops) Westmoreland
  • Bill Cosby
  • Bill O'Reilly

My favorite cameo appearance was Trevor Potter's briefcase.

The guest I most missed was Emily Basilson (I think that was her name) that was on several times.

Maybe I haven't watch the CR long enough, but I didn't get the Lincoln unicorn joke.  Can someone please enlgihten me?

My favorite cameo appearance was Trevor Potter's briefcase.

The guest I most missed was Emily Basilson (I think that was her name) that was on several times.

Maybe I haven't watch the CR long enough, but I didn't get the Lincoln unicorn joke.  Can someone please enlgihten me?

Emily Bazelon was there.

There's a shot of her in the EW piece:  http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/12/19/colbert-report-finale-guests/

Edited by Bramble

I was wondering who the African-American woman in the white sweater was, because I thought I recognized her from somewhere. Turns out, I do--she's a minimum wage advocate whom I've seen both on TCR and on Melissa Harris-Perry's show. That's awesome, that she was able to appear here!!

And I missed Elijah Wood, somehow. I'll have to rewatch it and see everyone else I missed.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

I thought the majority of folks were singing heartily and enjoying themselves. I presume that there was a teleprompter with the lyrics in front of them so that helped. Yep, there were a few mumblers like Paul Krugman, but not everyone has a voice that they feel comfortable sharing in public so I am giving them a pass.

Elijah Wood was next to Patrick Stewart and behind Henry Kissinger. Frodo should have stood to the Front.

Also, I did not appreciate Lil Buck blocking out Yo-Yo Ma who I heart, but it was good to see that Neil deGrasse Tyson was determined to make sure Yo-Yo Ma was not overlooked and got his share of the spotlight.

Edited by SimoneS
I didn't think they were implying that the entire 9 years of The Colbert Report was a Daily Show segment, as someone earlier suggested. At least I hope not.

I don't think that was the intent.  I definitely feel they were bringing the show full circle  back to its beginning with the toss to Jon (and I loved the 2010 outtake they threw in - I guess that was never shown before?)

I think Stephen ending the show with Alex Trebek wasn't just a goof, I think "all of life's most important answers are in the form of a question" is kind of a mystical thing,  I think on some level it was meant to be serious by Stephen.

Wonderful ending.  I recorded 3 replays because I know how random Comedy Central is with their scheduling and as mentioned above it tends to cut off but I have it all.  Will be sure to rewatch.  A lot.  I also like the comment marceline made about Stephen being nerdy enough to make a perfect fan finale.  I really wondered about the speculation that Grimmy would do "Stephen" in but did wonder how would he end the show then?  Of course as expected it was a put on and the singalong with all the guests went out on a high.  So sweet.  I'm glad his family was there too.  I guess Amy Sedaris wasn't there?  I'm sure we'll see her appear with him on CBS.

Thanks for a wonderful show Stephen.

Edited by roseha

(and I loved the 2010 outtake they threw in - I guess that was never shown before?)

They mislabeled it, it's from May 3, 2010 not June.  They aired another version of the toss, but you can tell it's the same day based on what they're wearing.

I've been checking out the Twitter accounts of some of the singalong guests. There's some wonderful stuff on Paul Rieckhoff's feed (he's the founder and CEO of IAVA, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America), including this:

The most amazing part of the @StephenAtHome finale was that they somehow got all those stars to maintain Twitter silence before it aired.

And this (with a picture):

And this is how much @StephenAtHome and his team care. Gave me a package of schwag for @IAVA members in Afghanistan!

And this on Instagram - click through to watch the short video:

The Bob Hope of our generation, the great Stephen Colbert, takes a bow (standing on his desk) after the final show (leaning on a giant battle sword). #IAVA

ETA: Matt Taibbi's tweets about the finale are HILARIOUS. Here are a few:

Green room activities included watching Paulina Porizkova knitting, and hiding from all the people I'd written horrible things about

There was some Green room discussion of upending the finale by punching Big Bird to start a Blazing Saddles-style melee

[in answer to a follower asking 'did you take a swing at Kissinger']

Didn't see him. He's the size of a fire hydrant in person.

Nobody wanted to be in James Franco's line of fire.

[A follower asked why and Taibbi answered: 'because he's the target apparently of some North Korean anger because of his new movie w Seth Rogen.']

Edited by purist
  • Love 1
Huckabee was 100% there. He and Spitzer were the guests that surprised me the most.

Yeah, I knew I'd be corrected by that. And yes, color me shocked that they were both there.

It's a shorter list to see which running gags/segments/characters WEREN'T namechecked over the past two weeks. I'd say David Cross as forgotten character Russ Lieber, and the On Notice/Dead to Me boards were the only ones not to come back. (ETA: Also: The Button, Killer, Wilford Brimley, and I would've loved to have seen Hans Beinholtz the German comedian in that crowd)

Edited by Galileo908

Jon has lost two close coworkers in the matter of 6 months. If he doesn't retire after the next election I'll be shocked.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH, Skyfall - I will NOT entertain such notions.  I am a leaky dingy on turbulent seas right about now, and cannot handle another loss.  ;-)

• Love 3
the On Notice/Dead to Me boards were the only ones not to come back.

I'm catching up on recent shows on Hulu (the Smaug appearance was something else!) and I would have liked to see On Notice again, though I think the Threat Down was generally my favorite.  Just watched the bit about letting Dewars rename the Report and that was hilarious.

• Love 1

SHUT YOUR MOUTH, Skyfall - I will NOT entertain such notions.  I am a leaky dingy on turbulent seas right about now, and cannot handle another loss.  ;-)

But then we will get Jessica Williams as host! She would be FANTASTIC!

• Love 1

Jeff Goldblum / the fly / "dead" rumor!  one of my favorites:  "The dead can twitter!"

I was trying to think of guests who have since passed away - I know Pete Seeger (wasn't he 94 when Stephen interviewed him?) was mentioned, and Maurice Sendak but in nine years there must have been more?  Sad I know but my mind's drawing a blank.

Just realized who was missing from the last show, Jeff Goldblum and Audra McDonald.

I checked Audra's Twitter feed - someone asked her why she wasn't there and she replied:

Cuz I'm filming in New Orleans. I wanted 2 b there! I love him

Off the top of my head, Joan Rivers.

Also, Frank McCourt, Nora Ephron, Mike Wallace, George McGovern.

Thanks peeayebee and Galileo908.  By the way, it just occurred to me that apparently Meryl Streep wasn't there, too bad because Stephen's interview with her when she was promoting her performance as Julia Child was just hilarious.  And speaking of cooking, no Martha Stewart.  Now I'm  going to be thinking of past guests all day!

Have to rewatch Stephen leading the singalong again soon.  The whole ending with him in fact, riding off into the night.

Knowing that you all obsessively watched the sing-along a zillion times, just like me, did anyone else notice the strong female singing voice as the song entered the last couple of refrains? Whoever it was, she was perfectly on pitch, so I'm assuming it was a professional singer. But the only professional female singer I saw there was Cyndi Lauper, and it didn't sound like her voice at all.

Does anyone want to venture a guess? Has Samantha Power been holding out on us?

Knowing that you all obsessively watched the sing-along a zillion times, just like me, did anyone else notice the strong female singing voice as the song entered the last couple of refrains? Whoever it was, she was perfectly on pitch, so I'm assuming it was a professional singer. But the only professional female singer I saw there was Cyndi Lauper, and it didn't sound like her voice at all.

Does anyone want to venture a guess? Has Samantha Power been holding out on us?

From the behind the scenes things I read, Katie Couric went to every room to make sure everyone rehearsed, could be her.

The first time I didn't latch onto his throwing away Sweetness.

Yes, I took particular satisfaction at that when I (also) thought about it later.

Edited by roseha