Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": The Final Week

NEW YORK, December 11, 2014 - Truthiness be told, the Nation will bear witness as Stephen hosts the remaining four episodes of "The Colbert Report" during the week of December 15, with the final show to air on Thursday, December 18 at 11:30 p.m. ET/PT.

Said Colbert, "Our last week of shows are going to be really special, just like every other week."

Scheduled to appear are Seth Rogen (12/15), Kendrick Lamar (12/16), Phil Klay (12/17), and Stephen's colleague and lifelong friend Grimmy (12/18).

• Love 1

After this week, two hours. Two hours total left of enjoying TCR. Should I be scared that Grimmy is the final guest? 

(No, no, hold back the tears... must let go of something if you love it so much...) T_T

P.S.: You better be right, Stephen! It better be special! Four more episodes to solidify your awesomeness! Don't blow it!

Wait...you mean #cancelcobert actually worked!?  Oh noes!  Say it isn't so!  *sniff* *pout*

I will really miss this show.  Yes, I know he's moving onto his new show on CBS.  But it still just won't be the same.  Will really miss "Stephen".  Not to mention, it will be quite awhile before his new show starts airing anyway.  I'm already getting the shakes thinking about it!

• Love 2

Seth Rogan. Ugh. That's almost as bad as Leno being Craig Ferguson's last guest.

I was in NYC on Saturday and I walked a very long ways just to get a picture taken underneath The Colbert Report awning. I think I have shin splints but it's totally worth it.

• Love 3

Seth Rogan. Ugh. That's almost as bad as Leno being Craig Ferguson's last guest.

Yeah, ain't that the truth!

I was in NYC on Saturday and I walked a very long ways just to get a picture taken underneath The Colbert Report awning. I think I have shin splints but it's totally worth it.

When I was in New York, three years ago for tapings to TCR and TDS, I took with me a scarf of my soccer supporters group, The Red Patch Boys, and managed to get it through an opening between a pole and the covering for the awning at both places. I took pictures of both of them and immediately made prints at the Walgreen's at Times Square.

The one of the TCR awning, I showed the next day to Stephen at the Q&A session of the taping. He asked, in astonishment, how I managed to get my scarf up there, and who I supported from the scarf. I told him Toronto FC. He said "TORONTO?!! GET! OUT!!!"

I hung my head in shame and tried to leave - all in jest, of course.

• Love 4

It was wonderful seeing Formidable Opponent again. And sad of course.

I usually can't stand Seth Rogan in interviews, but he didn't bother me quite as much as usual this time. The story he told about Kim Jong Un suddenly appearing next to people sounds hilarious, esp since it's based in truth. 

• Love 3

They did a good job with FO. It's hard to shoot/cut, and its absence as a segment for lo these many moons is testimony to how much they don't like to do them. So I take it as a parting gift that we got one before the end.

Look, Seth Rogan seems like a pleasant fellow, and I have enjoyed an opus of his or two. But I cannot have any affection for him at all as long as he has that fucking stupid laugh. I kept reaching for socks to shove down his throat to make it stop.

• Love 3

I loved the line about Michelle Bachman having played a character for 8 years. People like her and Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, Louie Gomert (and many other Tea Partiers) say things that are so "out there" it's hard to believe they're serious. It almost seems like they have to be comic satirists playing a role. Sadly for the country, they're not.

On that subject, when it was announced all those years ago that Stephen's conservative pundit character was getting his own show, my initial response was that while the character was funny in small doses as a Daily Show correspondent, an entire show would get old fast. I couldn't have been more wrong. For me, The Colbert Report has only gotten better over the years, and has especially been at a sustained peak of brilliance during the last one to two years. A tribute to great writers and Stephen's genius as a performer. It's been hands down the best ongoing satirical show in TV history. (And I go way back).

Now my feeling is that I'm just not going to want to watch Stephen doing a conventional talk show, as I don't currently watch any of those. The endless parade of pop culture celebrities pimping their latest movie, TV show, or album bores me to tears. When sometimes these people are interviewed by Stephen on The Report he manages to get a few laughs, but it's still the weakest segment of the show. And now he won't even be interviewing them as "Stephen Colbert," arch defender of conservative cultural values. I hope I'll be wrong again, but I'm not optimistic.

(Ironically, it's now The Daily Show that I can only take in small doses. I just don't find Jon Stewart's personal comedic style that funny, and the current crop of "correspondents" is the weakest the show has ever had. It seems to me that Jon must be a little bored by now, and given his interest in movie making, I wonder how long he's going to continue with The Daily Show)

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

On Formidable Opponent, it was the "conservative" red-tie Stephen that faded away, leaving "liberal" blue-tie Stephen the victor.  Was that Stephen's way of acknowledging that he's really liberal, and the conservative "Stephen" was just a character?  Well at least liberal on torture.

• Love 5

People like her and Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, Louie Gomert (and many other Tea Partiers) say things that are so "out there" it's hard to believe they're serious.

Careful! You start naming names you will end up with a long post. I believe your statement fits at least 300 names of Congresspeople 

• Love 1

On Formidable Opponent, it was the "conservative" red-tie Stephen that faded away, leaving "liberal" blue-tie Stephen the victor.  Was that Stephen's way of acknowledging that he's really liberal, and the conservative "Stephen" was just a character?  Well at least liberal on torture.

That was my take on it - he's "outing" himself during his last week.

• Love 2

You guys have hit the nail on the head; he's spending this last week not only giving us his usual quality work, but unraveling the character of "Stephen Colbert". Thursday's show should be an epic example of comedic writing and artistry.

• Love 1

Now my feeling is that I'm just not going to want to watch Stephen doing a conventional talk show, as I don't currently watch any of those. The endless parade of pop culture celebrities pimping their latest movie, TV show, or album bores me to tears. When sometimes these people are interviewed by Stephen on The Report he manages to get a few laughs, but it's still the weakest segment of the show. And now he won't even be interviewing them as "Stephen Colbert," arch defender of conservative cultural values. I hope I'll be wrong again, but I'm not optimistic.

I kind of feel the same. I'm hoping it'll be good, but I just can't imagine what it's going to be like. I'm not sure I'll record it regularly, but I hope he's very successful at it.

• Love 4

I kind of feel the same. I'm hoping it'll be good, but I just can't imagine what it's going to be like. I'm not sure I'll record it regularly, but I hope he's very successful at it.

Occassionally, I think Stephen has gone easy on the persona in interviews, especially with artists and musicians. And he remains charming and funny. Personally, I think he is just so much more talented and intelligent than anyone else in the late night game, I'll be surprised and disappointed if he doesn't shake things up there. 

• Love 4

Occassionally, I think Stephen has gone easy on the persona in interviews, especially with artists and musicians. And he remains charming and funny. Personally, I think he is just so much more talented and intelligent than anyone else in the late night game, I'll be surprised and disappointed if he doesn't shake things up there. 

Totally agree, yes, he is much more talented and intelligent than any other late night host. (Not a high bar). And I also think he has too much integrity to intentionally dumb himself down. But the guests who make the rounds of the late night shows are not just not of interest to me. It remains to be seen whether they will let Stephen bring on the authors, academics, and political figures who regularly appeared on The Report, and with whom I can imagine him doing some great interviews, as his witty, erudite "true" self. That would certainly fly in the face of the prevailing downward trend of late night talk TV over the last 25 years.

I remember someone on this forum writing that Stephen could be the contemporary equivalent of Dick Cavett. But we're in a very different era now than the late '60s and '70s. Back then even Johnny Carson would sometimes do serious interviews. At some point over the last few decades late night TV talk became all inane chit chat, juvenile sexual innuendo, and canned comedy bits.

If anyone can breathe life into this dead formula, Stephen could be the one. But another factor to consider, and one that does not bode well, is that it's a big jump from a cable network to CBS, where he will no longer be able to target his humor to what is essentially a niche audience. (younger, hipper, more urban). Despite the character he's played all these years, I don't think there's any question about Stephen's true political opinions. Is he going to be allowed to express those on CBS? I would hate for him to be limited to what passes for political humor on these shows, where the hosts alternate one-liners about The Republicans and The Democrats, so no one can be offended that they're "taking sides."

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

I'm feeling something about a third Bush running for president. But it's coming from deep inside my stomach. And it's making me feel ill.

I would have thought the "H" in David H. Koch stood for Horrible. Why couldn't Stephen have sold his show's naming rights to Captain Morgan's Black Spiced Rum? It goes down smooth with A&W Diet Root Beer.

• Love 2

I'm feeling something about a third Bush running for president. But it's coming from deep inside my stomach. And it's making me feel ill.

It can be much worse than you think. Borrowing from andy Borowitz, Cheney might decide to be Jeb's President

I love when Stephen said, "TV! [clap clap] Talk!"

I hope tomorrow has the new opening and name "The ColbDewar's Repewars."

I'm not a fan of rap, but it seemed like that was a good song. I just wish I could understand the words.

• Love 1

But the guests who make the rounds of the late night shows are not just not of interest to me. It remains to be seen whether they will let Stephen bring on the authors, academics, and political figures who regularly appeared on The Report, and with whom I can imagine him doing some great interviews, as his witty, erudite "true" self. That would certainly fly in the face of the prevailing downward trend of late night talk TV over the last 25 years.

Unfortunately I doubt it. He's walking into an established entity as a host, not a producer. I think he'll be a fresher, edgier late night host, but he'll still be a late night host. And he won't have the same awesome team of writers. It's sad. (It's not sad for him, it's a comedian's life long dream come true! Just sad for us.)

• Love 1

Let's try to keep the conversation in here about this last glorious week of Stephen Colbert as Stephen Colbert - we all have feels about the show ending, and if you want to discuss the move to CBS' The Late Show, the spot to talk about that is the Anticipation for Colbert's Late Show. Posts may be moved to there.

Now, could someone get me a box of tissues from the closet in the hall over there on the right? I'm gonna miss this show!

• Love 2

When was this Colbert yard sale?! I would've been all over that. No matter how stupid it was, I would've definitely picked up the "Vacsa-Anus."

And then spending all the yard sale money on scratch-off tickets? Only this show could do something this great.

• Love 1

I'm having major panic attacks watching Stephen's second to last show. I'm Mary Tyler Moore crying right now. (And this wasn't my favorite show ever.)  

Phil Klay is a good guest.  I want to read his book.

Everyone I live with is tired of the Infiniti commercial. 

Oh man. That yard sale looked fantastic. I'm no where near NYC, but I wish I could have gone. I'm not sure what I would have picked up, but that White House Correspondents speech would have been incredible to have. It's my understanding there was a two-item limit. Makes sense because big fans would probably have bought dozens of items and left nothing for others. The man giving all his personal information to Stephen was so cute.

I thought Stephen misspoke during the interview when he said something like, "I am no greater supporter of the troops than yours truly," which is comparing himself to himself. I can see "Stephen" saying something like that, but I think Stephen was trying to be serious, was intending to say he supported the troops as much as his guest.

WHY DID NO ONE TALK ABOUT THE COLBERT YARD SALE ANYWHERE?!?! :-( :-( :-( I COULD HAVE GONE!!!! Ahem. Selling that stuff makes Stephen leaving so final.

I finished reading Redeployment a few days ago, really good book. I highly recommend it. The FSO story was actually quite funny to read. I don't think he conveyed how hot it was there in the book.

• Love 2

Loved that final (I'm assuming) appearance of the congratulatory hand--that bit is one of my favorite throwaway things from this show.  I also loooooved Michael Stipe showing up at the yard sale!!! And getting marked down to 25 cents, no less!  Hilarious. (And Stephen's "That's you in the corner, that's me in the spotlight!" was spot on.)

• Love 3

Is anyone else watching the marathon? I've just started, thanks to the miracle of DVR, am watching the very first episode ever, with Truthiness and Stone Phillips. I was sure this first threat down had bears but it didn't. What id did have is a prescient reference to Florida's gun laws. Not stand your ground, but using them in public places. I'd forgotten how much more O'Reillyish Stephen was at the beginning. Thank god he, unlike the real Papa Bear, has evolved.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

It's still going on, iboatedhere. It goes almost all through today and tonight. The DVR cut off the cold opening a couple of times because the beginning and ending times were weird, like 11:04.

Edited by ABay