Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E09: Pattern Seventeen

• Start Topic

Does anyone read the comments on the SVU Facebook page? They post pictures from the episode and I swear every other comment is "bring back Elliot!" It is seriously getting old. Christopher Meloni is never coming back. Please shut up already. 

This is more prevalent when they post a pic of Peter Scanavino. Elliot and Sonny are two different characters and it's nice to not have a third Stabler in the mix( the second being Nick).

• Love 4

I did not understand the vicious attack on Olivia at Compstat.  Is that what really goes on?  They blame the cops for not finding something that cannot be found? 

The only other time I have seen Comstat meetings shown on TV was on The Wire (season 3 I believe). Compared to those meetings it seemed that Olivia got off light. And I still don't understand the point of the Deputy Chief of SVU. Does he over see any other areas of NYPD. Otherwise based on the number of cops in Manhattan SVU (and the fact that they are always on call) and their being 5 bureaus, he is a deputy chief overseeing at most 20 detectives and 5 supervisors. 

I did like the episode though. Nice that it was a sex crime and they had to do actual detective work. Plus Carisi in the box getting the guy to admit to all those other rapes and clear those cases was cool.

Also why was the guy called the "Pattern 17" Rapist. What does pattern 17 even mean?

Edited by Kel Varnsen

I think it's just another corny title that has 16 letters (for Season 16). Didn't someone here make a note/joke about this? Warren Leight must find it clever. But, yeah, Pattern Seventeen spelled out is 16 letters, so maybe it's not meant to mean...anything. Stupid, but there you go!

The only other time I have seen Comstat meetings shown on TV was on The Wire (season 3 I believe). Compared to those meetings it seemed that Olivia got off light. And I still don't understand the point of the Deputy Chief of SVU. Does he over see any other areas of NYPD. Otherwise based on the number of cops in Manhattan SVU (and the fact that they are always on call) and their being 5 bureaus, he is a deputy chief overseeing at most 20 detectives and 5 supervisors. 

Also why was the guy called the "Pattern 17" Rapist. What does pattern 17 even mean?

The point of the Deputy Chief of SVU is to be obstacle between Olivia and perfect happiness with Noah and be part of the powers that be, keeping our heroes from doing the right and noble thing. And remember there are supposed to be more staff than the main characters. Go back and watch the early seasons and see how many people were in the squad room. Even now they usually find the money for a few extras.

As far as Pattern 17 is concerned it just means it's the 17th perpetrator identified (this year?) by his distinct and recurring MO or pattern.

• Love 1

Does anyone read the comments on the SVU Facebook page? They post pictures from the episode and I swear every other comment is "bring back Elliot!" It is seriously getting old. Christopher Meloni is never coming back. Please shut up already. 

This is more prevalent when they post a pic of Peter Scanavino. Elliot and Sonny are two different characters and it's nice to not have a third Stabler in the mix( the second being Nick).

At this point, that bridge has burned and turned to ash.

Meloni jumped right back into film game post-SVU without missing a beat. 

There's still love for his castmates, but Chris's departure clearly wasn't a friendly one with tptb. 

He's moved on, the die hard Stabler/EO fans should as well. 

At this point, that bridge has burned and turned to ash.

Meloni jumped right back into film game post-SVU without missing a beat.

There's still love for his castmates, but Chris's departure clearly wasn't a friendly one with tptb.

He's moved on, the die hard Stabler/EO fans should as well.

They should definitely move on. It's been a while since Meloni has been on SVU and by this point, it's obvious that he is not coming back.

Just now getting to this episode, but I really liked it. The case itself was pretty no frills, straightforward stuff. No unnecessary plot twists here. I am growing weary of the Benson drama though. I am interested to see how the Rollins stuff unfolds however. Even though we've already had our fill of her issues, from her sister to the gambling, I still like her character. Speaking of characters I like, very happy to see Finn involved and I'm even warming up to Carisi a bit.

• Love 1

...I used to just want a Finn and Munch buddy cop show. Now I just want a Finn and Carisi show, where they sit around, crack wise, and get some police work done....

Me too. I love to see Munch on the reruns. But for now, along with Finn and Carisi, we can keep Barba too. And Amaro in small doses. And they can replace both female leads. Olivia is great in the reruns, but I'm just not seeing her personal/professional trajectory as going anywhere. And the character of Rollins has always annoyed me. I love Sykes on Major Crimes played by Kearran Giovanni. Someone like that would be refreshing on this show.

I don't always watch this show, but there are a lot of shows on hiatus now, I have some spare time, and this episode scored 8.5 on IMDb. It was a little heavy on the PSA about rape kits languishing in storage, but this is the right venue for that message. And I suppose the attitude personified by Rollins' old Creep Boss (was he her boss, or just being bossy?) is a factor in that situation, so it wasn't really a distraction.

I was surprised that they even bothered with a line up since all of the victims said they didn't see the perp.

Sorry for the tacky headline, everyone, but Leight & Co. kind of left me no choice.

Loved the recap/review. I wish you could "Like" the review instead of just the episode.

...Also why was the guy called the "Pattern 17" Rapist. What does pattern 17 even mean?

I thought there were 17 victims. No? Edited by shapeshifter

I forgot to mention, didn't SVU tackle the untested rap kits issue in the episode with Jennifer Love Hewit? IIRC, Olivia went to L.A. in a bit of a Law & Order: Los Angeles crossover.

Edited by TD3000

I still say, depending on how much life SVU has left in it, that Noah will be the reason Liv quits or something. The setup seems to be there, just in case.

Sounds like Mariska's pretty busy IRL so perhaps they wrote in an easy out plotline for her.