Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, KingOfHearts said:

This show has invaded my dreams on more than one occasion. Last night I had some creepy dream about Gothel underwater. Help me.

Don't worry, it's perfectly normal.  It's probably because most of us when we can't sleep, we count Mother Gothels.  Wait... is that just me?

• Love 4

I caught my “by Hook or by crook” tshirt on a shelf at the hardware store and I had to immediately order a new one. Sigh, I still have an O’Donoghue problem don’t I?

?

• Love 3

So I saw the last episode and it good.  I like Tilley and think the voodoo doc is a good match for Regina.  I haven't watched this season since the third episode and was wondering which episodes I should watch if I only interested in Hook and Tilley.  If this is the wrong thread, moderators feel free to move it.  It's been so long I forgot my username.

18 minutes ago, kitticup said:

I haven't watched this season since the third episode and was wondering which episodes I should watch if I only interested in Hook and Tilley. 

Tilly is in the following episodes but keep in mind you'll have to slog through a lot of other stuff in these episodes.

Episode 4 - "Beauty" (Rumple/Belle centric) - She plays a big role in the present-day plotline

Episode 7 - "Eloise Gardener" (Whook centric) - She has a role in the present-day plotline 

Episode 8 - "Pretty in Blue" (Jacinda centric) - She's mostly in the flashbacks

Episode 10 - "The Eighth Witch" (7A finale) - Only a few scenes in flashback right before Curse.

Episode 13 - "Knightfall" (Whook centric) - This is about Whook, so watch this one too

--

So the must-sees would be Episode 4, 7 and 13.  Episode 8 does have some scenes but you'll have to stomach Jacinda.  Watch Episode 10 for a few Whook/Alice scenes.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Souris said:

That would keep me up at night if I ruminated on them.

That does happen sometimes.

It's strange to be so into something I criticize so much, but I got the schedule for the conference I'm going to be at during the finale, and there's nothing scheduled for Friday night, so I get to hide in my hotel room and watch. I wonder if we'll get a live thread for the finale.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I wonder if we'll get a live thread for the finale.

I'll try to be in that one. I haven't really participated in the past, usually because others were watching with me. But now there's no one who wants to, LOL.

I hope we can go out with a bang and heckle the hell out of it together.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

I just had a phone call with an editor to talk about a project, and I couldn't help but laugh out loud when she said, "You know what this reminds me of? Have you heard of a TV show, I don't know if it's even still on, called Once Upon a Time? I watched the first few seasons, and then I lost track of it."

Though I don't know that I'd compare this project to Once at all, other than maybe the tone of the early seasons, which was what she went on to explain, the magic mixed with the real world and some whimsy, but potential for real drama, too.

I did inform her that it was still on and was in its final season. I probably should have warned her not to bother watching the rest because it mostly goes downhill from there.

• Love 3
On 3/6/2018 at 9:54 PM, KingOfHearts said:

I think I'll swap The Bear King and The Last Rites, so that the other gets the solo week.

Edit: Here's the updated version. https://pastebin.com/fMivmFcX

Please change it back, @KingOfHearts. I won't make jokes like this again. :-p

Should we ask the mods to set a up a poll and see what most people think would be a good time to start the rewatch? 

I've set up a poll about the rewatch. 

Spoiler

The leaked spoiler about you-know-who has really put a damper on my enthusiasm for the rewatch, though.

5 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Hide contents

The leaked spoiler about you-know-who has really put a damper on my enthusiasm for the rewatch, though.

It's still fascinating to see what events led up to it, though.

I think rewatching from the beginning might help remind me why I liked this show in the first place and might remove the bad taste from the finale/this season. I'll just memory tea the finale, and let my headcanon take over. The version of the series that's been running in my head has been amazing.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

It's still fascinating to see what events led up to it, though.

The problem is nothing leads up to anything in this Show. 

Should we do the rewatch spoiler-free or discuss later events?

• Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

I think we should discuss later events so we can compare and contrast. 

I'm disheartened by the amount of people who want to forget this show and skip the rewatch. @Camera One, we must find the nearest fountain and do a speech to make people believe in magic again!

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

The problem is nothing leads up to anything in this Show. 

We should discuss how later events impact our viewing of the episode. Sometimes it’ll be positive but I think mostly it’ll be wtf.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, daxx said:

We should discuss how later events impact our viewing of the episode. Sometimes it’ll be positive but I think mostly it’ll be wtf.

There is some merit in keeping things spoiler-free for just that reason. Otherwise, the threads will be full of WTF-type comments.

15 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I'm disheartened by the amount of people who want to forget this show and skip the rewatch. @Camera One, we must find the nearest fountain and do a speech to make people believe in magic again!

The writing tends to alienate even the most loyal fans. As @Shanna Marie says, the main reason I still want to rewatch is to remove the bad taste from my mouth. The other is to refresh my memory for the various half-finished fanfics I want to complete. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:
23 minutes ago, daxx said:

There is some merit in keeping things spoiler-free for just that reason. Otherwise, the threads will be full of WTF-type comments.

I think the point in doing a rewatch with a particular rewatch thread is to put it in context with later events, which we can't do in the already existing episode threads. There are the episode threads to discuss only that episode and the things that led up to it, but either a rewatch thread or the All Seasons thread is needed to discuss how things worked out or what we think of the episode events in terms of what happened later -- not just the bad, but the good. Like, it's fun to talk about how Hook and Emma will end up married when we see the beanstalk climb.

• Love 3
(edited)

We could discuss the episodes in both the specific episode thread and the All Seasons thread? Or would that end up being too confusing/too much effort?

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think using both could work.  This forum didn't exist when the show first premiered, so I don't think I've posted in many of the Season 1 or 2 episode threads.   But once it gets to Season 5-7, though, there probably isn't much one can add that isn't already in the existing threads, so the All-Seasons thread would be a good place to compare/contrast with what will come later.  

I tend to compartmentalize when it comes to seasons, so if I really like a show, I can usually enjoy the first few seasons again (in this case, the first season) without the experience being soiled by what comes later.  There are several shows where I have an artificial Wall where I decide... after this episode, the show was dead to me so I will consider the rest really bad fanfic.

The only difference here is I usually wait years before I rewatch a show, to allow time to wash away the bad feelings and so the plot can become fuzzy in my mind.  I didn't rewatch "Lost" for 5 years, for example.  I still haven't finished the rewatch.  But the first few seasons did pull me back in again and reminded me why I liked the show so much originally. 

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KingOfHearts said:

Which day of the week should we switch to the next episodes?

Hmm, if we go with Friday, like the show is airing now, then that means the bulk of the discussion could be on weekends. That may or may not be good for people, depending on how busy their weekends are.

I know that during the summer, Sunday's probably going to be my main TV night, since that's when all the PBS stuff is on. But it's not like we have to watch it live, all at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I sort of liked having the show on Fridays this year.  Gave me a distraction after a tiresome week of work.

I liked it, too, though it sometimes made scheduling a bit of a challenge. I could spend the weekends on the discussion instead of losing a good part of Monday. There's been a tradition of science fiction/fantasy shows on Friday nights, going back to the X-Files, and then the years of Sci Fi Fridays on the Sci Fi Channel back in the day, and then Grimm. It's a good night to collapse on the sofa with something fun to watch as a way to wind down from the work week. Oddly, that's even more important now that I work at home for myself. It's a way to separate the work week from the weekend. Fridays were just difficult during convention season, since there are usually Friday night events. Sundays were good for that because hiding out in my hotel room to watch was a good way to relax after a busy weekend.

(edited)

I like the idea of having it on Fridays. June 1 happens to land on it, and it's currently leading the poll. Depending on how the results turn out by the finale, I can post my episode plan with exact dates on it.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

I got a new antenna today that actually brings in ABC (yay!), and when I was setting it up, I didn't have it quite positioned right, and when that channel came up, it was frozen on what looked like a commercial bumper promo for the show (not a whole promo, just a still shot and something about "tonight on ABC"), and the picture was of Hook. So I was setting up the antenna with Hook frozen on my screen.

I have frozen lasagna in honor of Granny.

• Love 1
Just now, Shanna Marie said:

I have frozen lasagna in honor of Granny.

I'm making grilled cheeses in honor of Regina. Her request for them in 7x20 was so quirky and iconic. I couldn't think of anything for Emma. Who remembers that character, am I right?

1 minute ago, Shanna Marie said:

I got a new antenna today that actually brings in ABC (yay!), and when I was setting it up, I didn't have it quite positioned right, and when that channel came up, it was frozen on what looked like a commercial bumper promo for the show (not a whole promo, just a still shot and something about "tonight on ABC"), and the picture was of Hook. So I was setting up the antenna with Hook frozen on my screen.

My stream freezes a lot. Some nights are better than others. I hope tonight is a better one so I can live chat.

Today has been such a weird day for me. I feel relieved that the madness has finally stopped, and I can move on with my life...and yet its the end of an era. I hope the re-watch happens soon, because I still miss what this show used to be, and could have been, and I will miss you all so much!

• Love 2

I still have an hour and a half to wait.  Looking at the lit up topics, I feel like Gothel standing outside of that Victorian house thousands of years ago.  I'm thankful to this show for giving me characters I can relate with so easily.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Fear not. We'll treat you better than how those pre-historic victorians treated Gothel, @Camera One

We won't slaughter your whole family, but I'm not promising not to fling mud on your ballgown.

My new antenna worked! I was worried because sometimes when airplanes fly over, it messes up my reception briefly, and I live in between two major airports. The wind patterns tonight seem to have messed up the flight paths because I normally don't hear a lot of airplane noise, and it's been bad tonight. And since the antenna worked, I believe that means my DVR also worked, so I can even analyze bits of this one.

• Love 1

I am feeling a bit melancholy, with the show almost over.  No more new episodes to critique or "Mistie".  I especially enjoyed sharing it with all of you.  You made me laugh with your witty comments.  And you were generous with your "likes."  So I wanted to thank you for all of that.  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Worsel said:

I am feeling a bit melancholy, with the show almost over.  No more new episodes to critique or "Mistie".  I especially enjoyed sharing it with all of you.  You made me laugh with your witty comments.  And you were generous with your "likes."  So I wanted to thank you for all of that.  

5af651351d929_colinrob.gif.91db11b15a4f0b66919bec4ce04af7aa.gif

Hope you will join the rewatch!

I may be back to table-flipping next week, but this week, I too am feeling melancholic about the show coming to an end.

• Love 3

I am feeling that melancholy as well. As much as this show drives me up the wall, I have so enjoyed discussing it here endlessly with you all, and when it was good, it really was very good. maybe next week I will be fuming with rage and be ready to wipe my memories of the whole show, but right now, I feel rather sad. I've been with this show since the TWOP days, when I watched the first season with my college roommates. We`ve been through a lot together. 

• Love 5
(edited)

So, there was a funny post on tumblr about magic beans being available on Amazon now. So I added a picture of magic beans for sale on eBay, really! Then I had a moment of weakness and bought aforementioned $31 art glass beans. Sigh.

0E2E12DD-1769-4198-864A-BBDF2AFCAD18.jpeg

Edited by daxx
  • Love 3