Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

Aww...you sure you don't want to hang around and continue bashing the show (like me?).

I'm not leaving either, I'm ready to bash A&E and the show until the unavoidable cancellation and even after it.

• Love 7

FYI, I'm at a convention this weekend, so I don't know if I'll get to see the episode tonight, and if I don't, I may be scarce on the forum, so don't send the police for a welfare check if I suddenly disappear from here for a few days.

• Love 4
Just now, Camera One said:

I actually saw two people exchange an envelope of money in front of a coffee shop today.  Should I have shadowed them to do a citizen's arrest?

Sounds like the start to a comic movie full of wacky misunderstandings.

Or the start of a descent into the seedy underbelly of Craigslist.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Someone handed me an envelope of money this weekend -- reimbursing me for expenses. I'm lucky no pirates cursed to think they were cops were present.

I don't know - if it was Original Recipe Hook, I wouldn't mind being frisked!  Whook on the other hand...still kind of creeps me out a little thinking of him like that. 

For all those who came here from TWOP and miss the recaps I just discovered, thanks to a poster in the ER forum, that the Internet Archive Wayback Machine has archived TWOP.  A link to the OUAT page. You can surf around the site and find the old recaps and forums for the shows they had on at the time it ended! I can't wait to revisit the recaps for shows I followed at the time. I really miss the old recaps, they were always fun to read. I am not even sure I have read the recaps for OUAT since they end with season 3's Tower, and I got into the show on Netflix the summer before season 4 and started watching as they aired with the season 4 premiere, so it will be interesting to read them and see fan reaction as those first 3 seasons progress.

• Love 3

Someone in the Animal Welfare League rehoming cente at Willawong (Brisbane, Australia) must be a Once fan..there are 2 kittens up for fostering named Killian (blue tabby)  and Regina (brown tabby)  :o)) There are also a Ruby and an Ariel.... all of them are gorgeous little pixies. I lost my beautiful Cajun one month after her 21st  birthday..not ready for a new pudden, yet.

http://www.awlqld.com.au/awlq-animals/pet-fostering/animal-foster

• Love 2
2 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

I have to admit that I laughed when there was a brief mention of the walls that former foster children have. 

I actually originally wrote that several years ago, before they went overboard with that on Once. Maybe I need to tighten my tinfoil cap. It's all my fault.

• Love 1

In case anyone is online right now and either bored or into Baroque music, the guy in my choir I call the Hookalike is currently conducting a concert that's streaming live. On TV he doesn't quite look as much like Hook as he does in person -- I think it's the personality. He and Colin were basically separated at birth. You can see it here.

And as soon as I posted, the part he was conducting ended. But they're about to do part of Messiah, and he's one of the soloists. I think it'll be pretty obvious which one he is because while he's not an identical twin, he is more or less the same type.

Edited by Shanna Marie

I didn't realize that Archie and friends were in "Riverdale".  I thought it was some murder mystery show.  They're probably in an alternate World Without Magic where Comic Book Characters were sent after a Dark Curse was enacted by the misunderstood Joker.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I didn't realize that Archie and friends were in "Riverdale".  I thought it was some murder mystery show.  They're probably in an alternate World Without Magic where Comic Book Characters were sent after a Dark Curse was enacted by the misunderstood Joker.

There really is no connection to the source material rather than the characters sharing faces/names... omg. It sounds just like Once Upon a Time, now that I type it out.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

This might be a thing for the media thread, but is more personal than general ratings and media, so I'll ask it here. Does the Netflix deal mean that they're getting new episodes soon after they air, like Hulu does, or are they only getting them in a chunk at the end of the season? I haven't found a way to search the Netflix site for what they have available without signing up for the service, so I can't tell.

I've been getting cable as part of my HOA fees, and they've just announced that they're not renewing the contract with the cable company, so we're on our own (and they're not dropping the fees to compensate for this). I don't watch a great deal of TV, so I've been thinking of just going to an antenna (if it works where I live -- need to test that) and maybe a streaming service or two. I was thinking I'd need to get an OTA DVR, but then I realized that the only thing I'd really likely record that I couldn't easily get online the next day would be this show (otherwise, I mostly watch PBS, and they have that online). And I was also thinking that the main thing I'd miss on the current DVR if I gave it up would be the recordings of this show. Not that I've rewatched much of anything this season, but it's handy for checking things for discussion purposes.

Netflix probably has more original stuff that I wouldn't mind seeing, but I don't know if it would work as a DVR replacement in getting and having access to current episodes, and it's more expensive than basic Hulu. I'm kind of hoping to decrease the amount of TV I watch. I follow a few shows, but then with lots of channels available, I tend to fall into the "let's see what's on" trap instead of turning off the TV and doing something else. I'm trying to find a way to be able to keep up with the stuff I care about without adding too much more temptation.

I cut my cable cord a few years ago, got an indoor antenna, and signed up for Netflix and Hulu.  I have drastically cut my tv viewing since then (I was the same: what else is on?  Instead of getting up to do something productive.)  Mainly because I have to make an effort to go find whatever show I want to watch on either Netflix or Hulu, so it's more 'work'.  I don't get the local ABC affiliate over my antenna, so that's why I watch this show on Hulu.  Hulu has gotten lousy, imo, since I first signed up with them: more and more commercials.  It's as bad as or worse than network television and I pay for the service! 

Netflix doesn't usually have current episodes of any show on any network so far as I know: they get them and put them up in a block after the end of the season.  There are some shows (CBS in particular) that I know they don't have at all - Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders is one, because I wanted to watch it and neither Netflix or Hulu have it. 

I agree about the Netflix original programming.  I wouldn't give up my Netflix. 

I am a cordcutter, I have a roof antenna after giving up on all the indoor ones and a TiVo roamio OTA which I just love and record all kinds of things from current tv to old movies that don’t show up on streaming. Love it. It was $400 but has a lifetime subscription so no monthly fee for the programming.

Edited by daxx
1 hour ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

There are some shows (CBS in particular) that I know they don't have at all - Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders is one, because I wanted to watch it and neither Netflix or Hulu have it. 

I think CBS pulled all their programming when they started their own streaming service. I wonder if ABC programming will get yanked when the Disney streaming service starts.

31 minutes ago, daxx said:

I am a cordcutter, I have a roof antenna after giving up on all the indoor ones and a TiVo roamio OTA which I just love and record all kinds of things from current tv to old movies that don’t show up on streaming. Love it. It was $400 but has a lifetime subscription so no monthly fee for the programming.

That's what I'm looking at, but I don't know how worthwhile it would be, since there's not much I'd end up recording. Right now, my DVR is mostly used for random things from Smithsonian or American Heroes Channel (mostly war documentaries) that sounded interesting but that I don't want to watch when they come on. Aside from broadcast TV, those are the channels I watch the most, and I can't find them on any service other than the very highest tier of cable service. But I'm not tied to any particular shows there. It's just that I like history documentaries. Where a DVR would come in handy for broadcast is that most of the things I watch are on Friday nights and Sunday nights, when I'm more likely to be out. There's Once, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and often some Great Performances thing on PBS on Friday nights, and on Sunday nights there's the whole PBS lineup and Elementary (when it's on). Most of the PBS stuff is available on their web site the next day (and I'm probably going to do a PBS donation at the level that gives you access to all their streaming library -- as much as I watch them, I should support them, and then that gives you a lot of programming), and the CW is pretty good about putting stuff online. That leaves Once, where ABC doesn't let you stream a new episode unless you're with a particular service provider until a week later, and Elementary, which probably won't be on anything but the CBS streaming service. I don't know if it's worth it to get a DVR for that. Then again, some of the secondary digital channels show a lot of movies, and not everything the local PBS station shows is available on their web site. The cable will end in February (I need to find if it's at the beginning or end of the month), so the plan is to first get an antenna and see if that works. According to the web sites I've checked, I should get a good signal where I live, but that's latitude and longitude, not taking into consideration that I live at the bottom of a hill. If that works, then I'll probably get a Roku, then donate to PBS and get Amazon Prime (they've got a deal that gives them Doctor Who), which gives a lot of content plus the various other Amazon benefits. I may just go ahead and get the DVR because I like the flexibility it gives, and being able to trim commercials saves time. You can add HBO to Amazon on a month-by-month basis, so I can get that during Westworld and Game of Thrones and skip it otherwise, since Amazon Prime gives you access to HBO's back catalog. SyFy is good about putting episodes online, so I can keep up with the shows I still watch there. Otherwise, I really would like to trim my TV viewing and be more intentional about it. Next, I need to work on the Internet addiction. That's the other big time suck. I call it the Doom Loop -- check e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, message boards, post something, go back around to see if anyone responded, go back around to see if there's anything new, respond to someone else, go back around to see if anyone responded to that, etc.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I think CBS pulled all their programming when they started their own streaming service. I wonder if ABC programming will get yanked when the Disney streaming service starts.

Well, the regular Criminal Minds is on Netflix up through the last season.  Otherwise I refuse to pay for another streaming service.  Put enough of them together and I might as well go back to cable.  I forgot I have Amazon Prime too.  But I'd signed up for that for the free two day shipping before I knew about the streaming service.  Tbh, there's not a lot on Amazon I watch or want to watch - and it's pretty expensive (imo) to rent a movie from them unless you absolutely have to see it.  It's just about as cheap to buy the dvd.

If ABC goes to their own or Disney's paid streaming service, I guess I won't be watching OUAT until the season is over.  Not worth paying more than I already do.  The eps are up on Hulu the next day.

FYI - I get two PBS stations through just my indoor antenna.

1 hour ago, daxx said:

I have a roof antenna after giving up on all the indoor ones and a TiVo roamio OTA

I'd like to look into getting a roof antenna.  I really don't get much with my indoor - but like I said, it's helped me cut back on my tv viewing that way.  :)  I had to look up the TiVo roamio OTA was.  So, what's the difference, besides memory size, between that and the Tivo Bolt, which is less than half the price?  Do you have to pay monthly service fees with the lesser priced one?

Seems like I looked into Roku, but still couldn't get a couple of the major networks: CBS and ABC maybe?

15 minutes ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

So, what's the difference, besides memory size, between that and the Tivo Bolt, which is less than half the price?  Do you have to pay monthly service fees with the lesser priced one?

From what I can tell, the service fees are the difference. With the Bolt, you have to pay monthly service fees. With the Roamio, lifetime service is included in the up front price. The analysis I saw indicated that paying the lifetime fee up front with the Bolt makes it more expensive than the Roamio. On the other hand, it looks like you can get a cable card to go in the Bolt and use it with cable service, while Roamio only works with an antenna.

Yeah, the roamio does not handle cable, but since not having cable was the point I was ok with that. The other benefit I accidentally discovered is the buffer the roamio has while streaming. The internet went out and the kids were yelling at me for several minutes before my show stopped streaming and I almost never get buffering on Netflix using the TiVo.

I love the wish list. I add an actor and it records every over the air show with that actor automatically. I get to watch all the old Cary Grant shows that never get to Netflix.

For major network shows it has commercial skip, skips the whole commercial break with one push of the little green button. It’s like magic!

I can pull up the app at work on my phone to program it for a show when a coworker mentions something interesting.

14 minutes ago, daxx said:

Yeah, the roamio does not handle cable, but since not having cable was the point I was ok with that. The other benefit I accidentally discovered is the buffer the roamio has while streaming. The internet went out and the kids were yelling at me for several minutes before my show stopped streaming and I almost never get buffering on Netflix using the TiVo.

I love the wish list. I add an actor and it records every over the air show with that actor automatically. I get to watch all the old Cary Grant shows that never get to Netflix.

For major network shows it has commercial skip, skips the whole commercial break with one push of the little green button. It’s like magic!

I can pull up the app at work on my phone to program it for a show when a coworker mentions something interesting.

Wow!  That sounds pretty cool.  Especially skipping the commercials.  I hate going from no-commercials on Netflix to Hulu.  Thanks!  I might have to look into getting one. 

Okay, the Roamio is sounding better and better. So I guess I need to get an antenna and see if I get a signal here. I've always had cable, since it came with every apartment I've had in this neighborhood and then came with the HOA when I bought a townhouse. I can't really do an outside antenna because I can't make exterior structural changes, but I'm only about 20 miles from the transmitter towers. Before the switch to digital, I could get decent reception with rabbit ears on an old TV. I haven't tried since the digital change.

2 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Okay, the Roamio is sounding better and better. So I guess I need to get an antenna and see if I get a signal here. I've always had cable, since it came with every apartment I've had in this neighborhood and then came with the HOA when I bought a townhouse. I can't really do an outside antenna because I can't make exterior structural changes, but I'm only about 20 miles from the transmitter towers. Before the switch to digital, I could get decent reception with rabbit ears on an old TV. I haven't tried since the digital change.

I would check to see if anyone in your neighborhood has a satellite dish, if so you should be able to hang an antenna. I’m in a condo and took down a direct tv dish for the antenna.

58 minutes ago, Camera One said:

If anyone is counting, there are 75 days before the next episode of "Once" on March 2.  If you watch an episode a day until then, you will get to the 75th episode of the show, "Fall".

You have just challenged me to write a post about each of the first 75 episodes for the next 75 days. Sadly, I don't know if I can accept. I'd have to come up with something new to say for each one.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Camera One said:

Yeah, me neither.  I was just surprised how many episodes there actually are.  75 days is a long time.  

I would probably recommend rewatching Season 7 over and over again instead.  

Can I just rewatch season 1 three times instead of torturing myself? 

Though rewatching season 1 will only make me more pissed about the travesty that is season 7.

Or maybe I'll go back and watch seasons 4-6, the seasons I've missed. I only got through halfway of season 4 before I stopped. I totally missed most of the Queens of Darkness arc, skimmed through half of season 5 and then stopped bothering to find clips for season 6. 

• Love 1

I’m rewatching season 3 again, not sure how far I’ll get before going back to season 3 again. After the mess of season 6, 4&5 might look better this time. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve rewatched 3.

4 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I'm about to watch Star Wars: The Last Jedi. I'm carefully avoiding the "Other Fairy Tales" thread for fear of spoilers. For once, I'm actually not that spoiled.

I went to see it tonight, too!

Just now, KingOfHearts said:

When you think about it, 2018 could be OUAT's last. 

That's kind of sad, but I think I'm ready to put it out of its/my misery. I'll mourn the show it could have/should have been and hope that the cast members I love move on to better things.

Happy new year, all! We have ice, so I had a good excuse to stay home. The party I was supposed to go to was canceled.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Rumsy4 said:

I'm pretty sure. But I hope this forum doesn't fade away quickly when that happens.

I'm sure @Camera One will entertain us with their infinite supply of "sneak peeks" and "deleted scenes" for years to come.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Camera One said:

LOL, I think we all need A&E's idiotic storyline ideas and interviews to riff off of, for maximum fun.  The Writers on this show are like an unending well of comic potential.

Oh, yes. You could make several new seasons of Mystery Science Theater 3000 off of this show.

I live in the southern part of the US now. They cancelled all classes tomorrow becasue there's a freezing rain prediction. After living in MI for 7+ years, this seems bizarre to me. I think we had one snow day in all the time I worked there. 

• Love 1

Hopefully, you won't have to venture out on the treacherous roads and the power stays on.  I think The Snow Queen (no, not Ingrid, the other other other one) is trying to take over half the continent right now and Emma isn't answering.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3