Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Chunks Of My Soul

I've decided to believe that the vet faked the pig's death and brought it back to the farm because she knew that living with Tori would be worse than being slaughtered.

I would go even farther than that. I would not be at all surprised if the whole pig thing was staged, and there was an animal handler waiting just out of the frame to take the pig back from Tori when the scenes were done. Someone upthread who raises pigs said the pig seemed big for being only 5 days old. After all, how did Tori just happen to stumble upon a slaughterhouse on her way back from vacation? Did she and her friends decide to take a tour? It never made any sense. And the farmer wouldn't sell her the pig unless she was willing to pay as much money as he would make off the pig later.

I'm surprised Mary Jo would sink to Tori's level like that unless she's sore about the way she was portrayed on the show.  I thought MJ was better than that.

I have no problem with MaryJo doing the interview and making some money. Tori had no problem talking all about MaryJo in her books. And they invited MaryJo on to bring drama to their otherwise boring-ass show.

• Love 2

She’ll pay for that in later years, when Liam acts out towards her.  Speaking of which, he is starting to look like Bob from the Bob’s Big Boy logo, and that ain’t a compliment.

The Kate Gosselin hairdo isn't flattering on him at all. He reminds me of child actor Jackie Cooper in "The Champ"

All the attention she devoted to that pig... walking around cuddling it and soothing it, she acted like it was a real baby. It wouldn't shock me at all if she turns up pregnant again. 

• Love 4

All the attention she devoted to that pig... walking around cuddling it and soothing it, she acted like it was a real baby. It wouldn't shock me at all if she turns up pregnant again. 

I just bet she's not on any birth control. Thank god she is in her 40's so the likelihood of her getting pregnant naturally is slim. Not impossible, but slim.

• Love 1

All she has to do is sell all the crap she has in storage. Between the money she gets from the sales & the money she saves on storage fees, I doubt they would have any money worries at all.

No one is going to buy that garbage.  Even in a climate controlled environment, things have a tendency to deteriorate after that much time.  The one crate i recall her opening held what looked to be cheap barbie knock-offs and low-grade-carnival stuffed animals.  Tori might be able to sell off her old clothing, but how many 90 lb DD cup women do you know (#1) who'd be willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for an outfit (#2) Tori wore once - 15 years ago - that's covered in pet hair and shedding hair extensions?

It would cost more for Tori to organize and advertise the sale, than what she would recoup from the sale of the stuff in storage.  There are no precious jewels, antiques, or Aaron spelling memorabilia in that hoard.  She would have hocked that long ago.  Now, she could pay to take it all to the dump, and save the $6K a month she spends stashing that stuff, but that's barely going to keep her and her family in lifestyle she believes is due to her.

• Love 5

No one is going to buy that garbage.

This is how sad I am.  If I were Dean I would get her to declare those 127 vaults (127!) worth $500K.  Then I would divorce her ass and be gracious enough to simply take the cash value of half those vaults.  

• Love 2

Someone upthread who raises pigs said the pig seemed big for being only 5 days old. After all, how did Tori just happen to stumble upon a slaughterhouse on her way back from vacation? Did she and her friends decide to take a tour? It never made any sense. And the farmer wouldn't sell her the pig unless she was willing to pay as much money as he would make off the pig later

That was me. I don't actually "raise" pigs I have just had two mini/pot belly pigs as pets. The pig I have now was the size of Tori's piglet when he was two months old! Breeders of pet pigs are usually cautious when selling their piglets as mini/pot belly piglets cost over $1000!! They want the animals to have good homes, they want to know if the home the piglet is going to is zoned for pigs or at least pet pigs are accepted in their location. The pigs have to be spayed or neutered which is another almost $500 expense. And they don't stay small. My pig is 80-100 lbs (and not fat either, they are dense with muscle) he is about 38" long and about 24" in height.

Tori claimed she "rescued it from slaughter" Maybe they visited a pig farm as they were driving around. There was no way for that situation to have a happy ending. She is not living in a place that would be okay for a farm pig at all. Farm pigs can grow to weigh over a thousand pounds. So instead of popping out another kid, she inappropriately babies a pig?! I think also she used it to throw another test at Dean as he would have had to build a pen for it or worse yet he would have had to sleep with it (don't laugh, I slept with my first pig when he was a baby, they are so cuddly and cute) if Tori wanted it to be cuddled and not alone. A huge disaster no matter what. The piglet looked very sick, I don't doubt that it didn't make it. I am just hoping that she doesn't try to get another pet pig either!!

• Love 2

This is how sad I am.  If I were Dean I would get her to declare those 127 vaults (127!) worth $500K.  Then I would divorce her ass and be gracious enough to simply take the cash value of half those vaults.  

Maybe a crossover show with "Storage Wars" ? I can see those guys paying big time for a chance to score something worthwhile in all that crap.  

• Love 6

It seems like the only thing Dr Wexler really does is shake her head and softly say "yeah" to Tori. I hope Tori can find peace with the past, because she has a beautiful family that she is missing out on.

Edited by Frootloop Dingus
  • Love 5

While the death of the piglet registered as horrific and also completely preventable, there was so.much.weirdness that I didn't even question if it was fake, or how exactly she got ahold of a piglet. There was just too much else going on that was jaw dropping in one way or another. I had to get to this thread to read about how it might be fake. I hope it was, and that the little piggy is happy somewhere with people who take care of it. Do reality shows have to have people on site to show that now animals are harmed in their making?

It also hadn't occurred to me that the hospital room might be fake, even though I don't believe she has any real physical condition that requires a hospital stay. If so, I wondered if they spent any time considering any other fake sets. For places she could pretend to go. Here is Tori, at Machu Pichu. Here is Tori at the Grand Canyon. Oh, look, Tori is on the moon now!

• Love 4

Having worked in a hospital for 25 years I would give anything to see her medical records. I'm sure her doctors and nurses know she is cocoo for coca puffs. I think all the "you need to take care of yourself" talk is really code for dealing with her eating her eating disorder. She is seriously ill but not in the way that she thinks.

• Love 11

I had to get to this thread to read about how it might be fake. I hope it was, and that the little piggy is happy somewhere with people who take care of it. Do reality shows have to have people on site to show that now animals are harmed in their making?

A lot of people think it was fake or at least hope so. I watched the ep online but I did not see any disclaimers that no animals were harmed in the filming. That piglet was in at least respiratory distress and may have had other serious infections. Believe me pigs have to be seriously ill or on their death bed to not want to eat. And I had seen similar symptoms this spring when my pig was sick, the emergency vet was here in under an hour with all the meds to deal with the problem, we use a mobile vet that also treats horses, they have to have everything they need in their mobile hospital, so I don't understand why the first vet couldn't do emergency care.. That was one sick piglet on the show and so young. Believe what you will but I don't think that piglet survived.

I did a little research too,  in 2011 Tori had a pet pig named Hank that slept in their bed, (yes I didn't know about that until now, I was only guessing about that in my previous post) when it was little. I cannot find any articles about what happened to Hank. Pigs can live to 15 years old or longer, my first pig was 19 when he got sick and couldn't recover. But he had a good long and pampered life.

Tori needs to stay the hell away from any pig, she could never get out of her own BS enough to properly care for a goldfish much less train and care for a pig or more importantly a kid!

Edited by gigi1701
  • Love 3

Now I'm thinking that "rescuing" this piglet from death was just another avenue for Tori to purchase yet another farm.  They've been in their current house for longer than 10 minutes so she must be getting antsy to move again. 

• Love 3

I don't think the pig thing was fake. All it did was make Tori look even more horrible, so I'm not sure why she would fake all that. Then again, she put this entire show on the air, which paints her in an awful light, so maybe she has no self-awareness. Or just doesn't care.

• Love 4

Unfortunately, I don't think the pig was staged, nor do I think it's currently living happily on a farm somewhere. There have been plenty of pap shots of Tori walking out of farmers markets with a new animal and when you see how these pets come and go in her life, it really does seem like she came across it and decided to scoop it up. It was all weird and strange and I can totally see why the friends got the hell out of there as fast as they could. Hopefully they also take to heart the "by being on this tv show, we're enabling her" comment that Courtney said to all of them post trip and realize this woman needs professional help, not professional hand holding in the form of Dr. Wexler.

I think the weirdest thing with this final ep was that there was no resolution or wrap up to any of the issues. For instance, we see Tori's seriously messed up hording issue with all the items in storage but nothing comes of that except that she goes to speak with her ex (and throws that in Dean's face). Even if she didn't make a dime off all of that stuff, at least it would be literal baggage that she is no longer holding onto. A good therapist would have been working with her on that, and not let her shirk it.

It's so odd to see her as such a messed up person. I didn't want a lot of Home Sweet Hollywood but wasn't Tori supposed to be a bit more together, have a great sense of design, and they were supposed to be happy? WTF happened?

• Love 4

Isn't 'In Touch Weekly' the same tabloid that Tori has an ongoing partnership with?   Why would they risk publishing Mary Jo's $hit-talking unless this reveal had been blessed somehow by Tori&Dean enterprises to drum up viewers for the finale?

I felt the finale was kinda weak.  Nothing was wrapped up (possibly to lead into a 3rd season) however there wasn't one story arc completed other than Dean begging off involvement in future seasons.  How can another season exist without their relationship conflict?  Will Tori be forced to seek out real employment other than exploiting her family?  THAT is a show I would like to see.  

Is it possible that Dean is either this smart, or has had great advice from his therapist, that his decision to not appear in future episodes of True Tori will force her to deal with her issues instead of publicly pointing the blame back at Dean?

• Love 1

I agree that this was an odd finale. It was like, Tori went to the hospital and Dean refuses to film, so, sorry folks, show's over! Are they doing a reunion/wrap-up show like they did last time?

I think people are being too hard on Liam's appearance. My daughter is 8 and I've noticed a huge number of her friends have chunked up a little at this age. Yes, it could be that Liam is emotionally eating (he certainly has reason to!) but I wouldn't make that assumption. He may just have more of Dean's body type and tend to carry a bit more weight. I think he looks like a perfectly normal little boy who may just be in a bit of an awkward stage. Dean and Tori have many parenting failures but having a kid that's a little chubby is not a big deal.

Edited by lorikauai
  • Love 10

Like everyone else my big takeaway from this season is that Tori is crazier than I ever realized. She is a hoarder. She seeks attention from medical professionals. She creates additional interpersonal drama whenever she is bored or needs attention. She is a narcissistic control freak. She accepts no responsibility. I don't know what she was going for with this show but I can't imagine anyone who watches it would ever want to work with her. I have gained a lot of sympathy for Dean. Although he has plenty of his own issues and I wouldn't want to be married to him he at least seems to have a firmer grasp on reality.

• Love 12

I think the reason the end felt so off is because Dean forced them to end abruptly. He was over it, they quit filming. It's quite possible he wouldn't even give them anything for a wrap-up or reunion type show. Good for him, if that's the case. Tori could have chose not to air it, since it seemed unfinished. But there's no way she'd miss out on the money....or attention.

• Love 2

I was a social worker for years in a residential setting for adults. One trend we noticed was a lot of exaggerating illnesses, especially for doctors. Tests and new medicines made some them feel important, or cared about, or listened to. Sometime they had a lifelong habit of playing up illnesses because, growing up, it was a time they were especially babied by their parents or caretakers. Tori might also have this habit because Candy paid more attention to a sick little girl than a healthy one. Maybe when Tori was sick she got more nurturing and hugs and whatever else she lacked otherwise.

• Love 5

Like everyone else my big takeaway from this season is that Tori is crazier than I ever realized. She is a hoarder. She seeks attention from medical professionals. She creates additional interpersonal drama whenever she is bored or needs attention. She is a narcissistic control freak. She accepts no responsibility. I don't know what she was going for with this show but I can't imagine anyone who watches it would ever want to work with her. I have gained a lot of sympathy for Dean. Although he has plenty of his own issues and I wouldn't want to be married to him he at least seems to have a firmer grasp on reality.

Can I get an Amen?

• Love 8

A lot of people think it was fake or at least hope so. I watched the ep online but I did not see any disclaimers that no animals were harmed in the filming. That piglet was in at least respiratory distress and may have had other serious infections. Believe me pigs have to be seriously ill or on their death bed to not want to eat. And I had seen similar symptoms this spring when my pig was sick, the emergency vet was here in under an hour with all the meds to deal with the problem, we use a mobile vet that also treats horses, they have to have everything they need in their mobile hospital, so I don't understand why the first vet couldn't do emergency care.. That was one sick piglet on the show and so young. Believe what you will but I don't think that piglet survived.

I did a little research too, in 2011 Tori had a pet pig named Hank that slept in their bed, (yes I didn't know about that until now, I was only guessing about that in my previous post) when it was little. I cannot find any articles about what happened to Hank. Pigs can live to 15 years old or longer, my first pig was 19 when he got sick and couldn't recover. But he had a good long and pampered life.

Tori needs to stay the hell away from any pig, she could never get out of her own BS enough to properly care for a goldfish much less train and care for a pig or more importantly a kid!

I hate that I know this but I was sick in bed last week and read three of Tori's books. Hank the pig and a few other farm animals she owned were given to Patrick Dempsey's wife who apparently owns a small farm.

• Love 4

I'm in a betting mood at the moment.

I'm wagering a round of virtual drinks to my fellow posters that this shitstorm will indeed return for another season.

The reason?  Because they need the money, plain and simple.

Dean will realize he's not exactly in demand and the CSI stint was a rarity and won't lead to any other offers of any substance.

Tori will realize she's not getting all of the attention (positive, negative, or indifferent) that she needs from being on this abomination.

Their financial folks (whoever they may be) will probably insist Tori has to curb her spending as there are no incoming funds (or at least greatly reduced without this mess to fall back on).

Yup, I'm betting we do indeed see a season 3 of this hot mess, including Dean, who will have "reconsidered" his stance (with Tori's insistence, of course).  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 7

You're probably right, Persnickity1.

But what do you think the theme will be? This season started out with Tori trying to punish Dean for cheating, but I think even she has had feedback that it didn't work the way she planned. They can't go back to their former soul mate's fairy tale. I don't think Dean will be up for another season as whipping boy, even if he sees the need to continue the show. Tori can't/won't change but nothing in her life is working, and the emperor's clothes have fallen off. In fact, they'll have to do this show because they've lost most of their other income streams, not due to Dean's cheating as Tori would have it, but due to her ripping the mask off her insanity and her unreliableness. So I really wonder what the overall theme they will try to potray/sell the networks/convince themselves etc. could even be at this point. Tori isn't going to get real help or give up Dr. Wexler. Dr. Wexler isn't going to become effective in any arena. Tori might get her implants out, but somehow I don't think so. She won't deal with her eating issues, her hoarding, her parenting issues (either side, as a parent or as a result of having her parents) or anything else really. Her friends seem to be bailing from the show. Jack and Mary Jo are opening criticizing her...really, what is left?

Edited by Cosmic Muffin
  • Love 3

But what do you think the theme will be? This season started out with Tori trying to punish Dean for cheating, but I think even she has had feedback that it didn't work the way she planned. They can't go back to their former soul mate's fairy tale. I don't think Dean will be up for another season as whipping boy, even if he sees the need to continue the show. Tori can't/won't change but nothing in her life is working, and the emperor's clothes have fallen off. In fact, they'll have to do this show because they've lost most of their other income streams, not due to Dean's cheating as Tori would have it, but due to her ripping the mask off her insanity and her unreliableness. So I really wonder what the overall theme they will try to potray/sell the networks/convince themselves etc. could even be at this point. Tori isn't going to get real help or give up Dr. Wexler. Dr. Wexler isn't going to become effective in any arena. Tori might get her implants out, but somehow I don't think so. She won't deal with her eating issues, her hoarding, her parenting issues (either side, as a parent or as a result of having her parents) or anything else really. Her friends seem to be bailing from the show. Jack and Mary Jo are opening criticizing her...really, what is left?

I think it's obvious what season 3 would be, them having another kid, something to "cement" their rekindling after the hard times. There will be tons of medical drama & angst, & Tori will get to cry & blame Dean. Again.

• Love 2

I think it will be the same bullshit.

Their big problem at the end of this season and their marital strife, and how Dean just doesn't listen to Tori's feelings and how stressed she is.

Probably with a hefty side of Dr. Wexler helping Tori to realize many of her ailments are actually all in her freaking head and she makes herself sick (love the way they just touched on that in the final episode, as did Courtney when she was lying in bed with Tori).

Oh, I think it'll be a rehash just like this season was a rehash of the first season.

And I'm not too proud to admit I'll be tuning in like clockwork to watch it unfold.  This and VPR are my all-time favorite guilty pleasures and snarky treasures.  

• Love 2
Why would she even be in a slaughterhouse.
That's exactly what I was thinking!  What, they were just driving down the highway in the van listening to Tori's rendition of her latest when all of a sudden Tori sees a sign.....it says, "STOP!  Only you can save the newborn piglets from the slaughterhouse up ahead. Turn right at the sign and adopt a pig today!"  So the van comes to a screeching stop and Tori jumps out of the van, running up the drive in her little ankle boots and her ripped $500 jeans yelling, "I'm here!  I'm here to save the pigs--wait for me--oh and by the way little piglet, my husband cheated on me!"

I need someone to break down wine country for me, as I've never been there, but I finished the episode fuming about several things... I could certainly see an antique/quaint junk shop being part of the route leaving the winery, but not a slaughterhouse, and certainly not one open to the public (traveling in limos)!? As much as I agree that it was cathartic to finally see her friends speak to their enabling, wouldn't stopping her from buying?grabbing?(whatever) the pig have been the point to step in? I mean, they were already pissed at how long she was taking at the antique shop, so why would they decide to add a slaughterhouse tour? I know it's not supposed to make sense, but it still got my ire up!

It was typical play-the-part-of-mother Tori who returned from that trip too, immediately crippling a baby pig/creating a death scene for the kids' brand-new pet, and offering gifts or to withhold them based on whether the kids ate dinner. No meaningful interaction, no eye contact, and certainly no sitting down to "eat" with them, just the presentation of her I'm-such-a-loving-and-thoughtful-mother gifts with strings attached. 

I think Tori is a passive aggresive/covert abuser and Dean is her victim. It is always the true victim of those people that come off looking like crazy assholes, while the abuser gets to play victim. They're that good.

Which brings me to what I saw in the last moments of the episode, not Tori looking helpless and depressed when Dean got up from the couch and said he had things to do and wouldn't participate in whatever the hell she was bitching about right before the episode ended, but an incensed Tori. That moment actually popped me right out of the show and her usual pity-me rants because it was so crystal clear that Dean had really done it, that he'd gotten too big for his britches by refusing to engage in her manipulation. It was at that moment too that I saw clearly (I have no clue why I was so tuned into this episode!) that her first marriage very likely ended because she was expected to be an adult with another adult who wouldn't live in chaos, blame and narcissism. Whether there was some moment of carnal realization (gag....hack...yech...) with Dean in the beginning is not really the story I see anymore, but that she found someone who she sensed immediately would be her victim (like parisprincess noted) and whom she could control and manipulate and who couldn't outsmart her narcissism. Perhaps she just thought she found another narcissist? Most signs point to that being the case given how little the kids and family really have anything to do with how either of them spends their time or energy or money, but Dean does seem to have been moved to realize 2 complete narcissists will mean the kids don't eat, sleep or go to school.

I think you totally nailed it nc socialworker with the her attempt to control everyone with impunity through her illnesses too. She has so little initiative to deal with her actual health problems and clearly won't part with the silicone shrapnel in her chest for any amount of fame or money. I'm so tired of hearing the veiled garbage from Dr. W and her friends about how it's time to really consider taking care of herself because there's a huge piece missing to the whole puzzle. Why is a woman in CA ending up with respiratory illnesses that are even serious enough to get her into the door of an ER over and over again? Are we not seeing that Ms.NoShirtWearing Tori is smoking a good deal of the time? That would at least make some sense. And certainly there is a severe lack of nutrition playing into constant infections as well. Who can be a present mother to 4 kids if they are more satisfied with spending a few months of every year in the hospital or in dark rooms than in doing anything they need to do to function at home most weeks of the year?! And the migraines!!! Dyeing one's hair every two weeks with caustic bleach will trigger unending migraines for severe sufferers, so how is it that she manages to rarely even have a root showing?

Ugh, I think I need a Tori Cleanse because of all of her bullshit that is rattling around inside of my brain. I'm off to read Mary Jo's article and I'm really, really glad to hear that she decided to say something after maybe hearing Tori's "translation" of their meeting to Courtney and Dean, which was stupifyingly inaccurate!

• Love 4

But what do you think the theme will be? This season started out with Tori trying to punish Dean for cheating, but I think even she has had feedback that it didn't work the way she planned. They can't go back to their former soul mate's fairy tale. I don't think Dean will be up for another season as whipping boy, even if he sees the need to continue the show. Tori can't/won't change but nothing in her life is working, and the emperor's clothes have fallen off. In fact, they'll have to do this show because they've lost most of their other income streams, not due to Dean's cheating as Tori would have it, but due to her ripping the mask off her insanity and her unreliableness. So I really wonder what the overall theme they will try to potray/sell the networks/convince themselves etc. could even be at this point.

How about Tori living life as a single mother, single woman?   She could get well - I don't think it's hopeless.    She could reconcile with Candy.  She could talk about how thinking any marriage as a fairy tale is ridiculous - especially when you have that many kids.    She could have fun with her friends again.  Dean could have the kids - especially Liam and Stella - for as long as they didn't want to  be subjected to a film crew.  In fact, he could be left out of the whole show.   Instead of therapy sessions we could watch Tori  buy a house, start a business with Mehran,  or even go on a date. We could watch her interact with her fans (I'm assuming they are still out there somewhere) or anything.  Hell, I watched an entire hour-long show about Candy Spelling (a total high end hoarder or as she calls herself, collector) moving all her crap out of the Beverly Hills house and into a penthouse in L.A.   There are lots of possibilities.  Now, do I think that will happen?  Probably not.

I do wonder if Tori was always this hot mess though or if it's something that developed in a the last couple of years?  I wonder only because this show is such a huge departure from her other reality shows - which I found rather entertaining and I don't think either her or Dean are that good of actors to have been faking the 'happy little family' thing that long. 

• Love 1

Not a bad guess, Cosmocrush and I could see Tori pitching this, but I think it would have to be longer down the road. If the marriage were to end, by either of them, negotiating that, separating assets, figuring out what to do with the kids - it would take a long time. Way too long to turn around and have her dating next season. Neither could openly date while they were working out the end of the marriage.

Plus, she'd need time to pass for people to forget what a completely mentally ill and toxic person she is, in order to sell that people would want to watch her date.

I don't actually think there is any chance of her getting better, unfortunately. Maybe if Candy died, she inherited and blew all the money then the real world would force her to change, but I don't know. There are toxic narcissists at every income level. With her food issues and other health problems I think death is more likely than recovery. I'm not saying I want her to die or she deserves to die, it just seems more likely given how she is, how she lives, who she sees for therapy, who she chooses as a partner.

Oh, and I with meijse that we did see her looking genuinely incensed at that moment, and that was maybe the realest part of this series. 

• Love 2

This show is just Tori whining, blaming, and falling ill. If she has a true personality disorder, as it appears on the show, she won't just get better without years of targeted professional help (not Wexler). I don't think she sees any reason to do that since everything is always someone else's fault. Poor, poor Tori. The show has train wreck value but it's getting repetitious, boring, and uncomfortable to watch. If the show does continue, and Tori miraculously becomes rational, then we've all been played.

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 3

The reason why I find this show interesting is because Tori's life is a living hell of her own making. It wouldn't be entertaining to watch a mother with psychosis trying to parent her children or a wife with a debilitating illness work on her marital problems. The beauty of this show is that it is all self imposed. I guess that's the hook for me. Growing up ,my family was relatively poor. In my teenage mind all our problems could have been fixed with some more money. I wouldn't have to work a summer job, I wouldn't have to take out loans for college, our family could go on vacation and then maybe everybody wouldn't be so stressed etc. Watching this is better than therapy for me, I'm now feel like hell no , more money would have probably made my family crazier then it already was.

• Love 8

As for the predictions about a future Tori TV season. I agree with persnickety: they need the money. Tori and Dean will be back on TV. Somehow. 

But here is what I also predict as Tori's next venture: I would not put it past her to get the kids into modeling/acting. Especially Hattie. It would be totally consistent with Tori's pathology where she uses illness, pregnancies, pets, etc to point the spotlight on her and feed her need for attention.

• Love 5

I have no doubt that Tori and Dean will accept any and all offers to get paid for being on TV. I think Dean's angry outbursts about the show were real, but I think he/they came up with the "Dean is quitting the show" thing as a storyline and as Dean's attempt to regain some credibility in Hollywood. Completely unsuccessful attempt, but I guess it was worth a shot.

Has the show gotten good ratings? I have no idea, but it does seem that it's gotten a lot of coverage in entertainment media. I would think that that's bad for T & D's "legit" showbiz careers, but maybe it's good for the chances that True Tori will be renewed. I don't see how they could do the show with just Tori, though. Maybe down the road, as someone suggested upthread, but I don't think they can just pick up with her story in 6 months, especially if she and Dean stay together. Maybe she'll be moved to divorce him in order to generate interest in another reality show the way it was rumored that they faked the Emily Goodhand affair in order to get this show after interest in their cutesy family shows had run out. I think that the idea of not being on TV at all terrifies Tori.

I agree that Tori really seems to be in crisis. With this show being filmed so recently, it's interesting to contrast her portrayal on the show with her appearances in "real life" where she claims that everything is great with her and Dean. On the show she seems to be unraveling and I thought it was interesting that by the end of the season even the flunkies/friends were talking about it on camera. I'm sure Tori flipped her shit when she saw that they were straying from the "We're so concerned about Tori because she takes care of everyone and never focuses on herself..." narrative to "We're so concerned about Tori because she's nucking futs..." If there's a season 3 she might have to hire new enablers.

• Love 2

Not a bad guess, Cosmocrush and I could see Tori pitching this, but I think it would have to be longer down the road. If the marriage were to end, by either of them, negotiating that, separating assets, figuring out what to do with the kids - it would take a long time. Way too long to turn around and have her dating next season. Neither could openly date while they were working out the end of the marriage.

Plus, she'd need time to pass for people to forget what a completely mentally ill and toxic person she is, in order to sell that people would want to watch her date.

I know that a return to TV with a single Tori premise would take time, too much time for next season but she could start down the path. If she was really thinking about her reality TV career she should have never let Dean back in, lol.   When this started last year, I honestly thought that's where this was going, silly me underestimated Dean's famewhoredom (but not Tori's apparently).  

With her food issues and other health problems I think death is more likely than recovery. I'm not saying I want her to die or she deserves to die, it just seems more likely given how she is, how she lives, who she sees for therapy, who she chooses as a partner.

That seems extreme.  I'm not a doctor but I'd like to think the prognosis  it isn't quite that dire, especially given she is the mother of four little kids.

As for the predictions about a future Tori TV season. I agree with persnickety: they need the money. Tori and Dean will be back on TV. Somehow. 

But here is what I also predict as Tori's next venture: I would not put it past her to get the kids into modeling/acting. Especially Hattie. It would be totally consistent with Tori's pathology where she uses illness, pregnancies, pets, etc to point the spotlight on her and feed her need for attention.

I hadn't thought of that possibility.  Oh no.

I feel so unclean for having watched this hot, hot mess of a show. But I did, and I'm here to bitch about it. Wow. Some random thoughts:

• It's so insulting to the millions of people out who actually and legitmately can't afford the basics to watch Tori fret about her "money problems". Oh boo-fucking hoo, Tori. Yeah, not having two nannies anymore- tragedy. Not being able to pick up your kids from their fancy private school in your Escalade- the horror. No more shopping sprees and a huge house with a pool and a view of Los Angeles...however will you all survive? I get that for her, downsizing is the equivalent of losing everything but this woman needs a serious reality check.
  • "Dr." Wexler seems like the worst therapist of all time. How many more times can she smile benignly, nod her head and say, 'You know, at some point, we should really talk about your______(fill in the blank here: hoarding, denial of your health issues, inability to own any behavior that might suggest you're actually part of the problem).  She's been Tori's therapist for 10 YEARS. Hasn't the point to talk about these issues come and gone at least a gazillion times by this point??
  • Dean the man-child is absolutely not perfect here, and Lord knows I wouldn't want him as a husband, but I will say that he actually seems to be working on his sobriety and taking his emotional health seriously. He also seems to genuinely like being with his kids, which I got to say might be their saving grace as they get older.
Edited by lamadeleine
  • Love 11

Can I get an Amen?

AMEN!

I hate that I know this but I was sick in bed last week and read three of Tori's books. Hank the pig and a few other farm animals she owned were given to Patrick Dempsey's wife who apparently owns a small farm.

Phew! Thank you for letting me know. I am glad Hank and the animals are at a good home. There are too many abandoned pet pigs as it is, they don't stay small and if not properly trained and bored they will get aggressive.
  • Love 2
Dean the man-child is absolutely not perfect here, and Lord knows I wouldn't want him as a husband, but I will say that he actually seems to be working on his sobriety and taking his emotional health seriously. He also seems to genuinely like being with his kids, which I got to say might be their saving grace as they get older.

With all the talk about people being Team Dean and whatnot, I was thinking about what the difference between them really is. I actually think Dean is a horrible person in a lot of ways and he's clearly at least somewhat of a hot mess, but I think the basic difference between him and Tori is that he is in touch with reality and has a basic understanding of how people/relationships/life work. Dean is selfish, but he gets that you're supposed to at least pretend to care about other people's feelings and comfort and he actually does care somewhat. He's dramatic and likes to be the center of attention, but he's also cool with someone else having the spotlight for 5 minutes and if you give him his moments to act like an asshole/blow off steam, he can act like a decent person at other times. He's obviously way more down to earth than Tori and he can handle basic aspects of life like making dinner for his kids without feeling like a victim or having an emotional breakdown. He seems to genuinely enjoy spending time with his kids and be comfortable putting their needs first/letting the focus be on them. I'm sure that having plenty of "Dean Time" while the nannies are looking after the kids helps; I'm sure he loses his patience with them at times; and I'm sure that in the final analysis he does lots of selfish/irresponsible things that negatively affect them, but I agree that his genuinely liking the kids is huge. Tori fails on all of those counts.

If they split up and Dean had the money to hire household help and have a comfortable (not necessarily opulent) home/lifestyle, I think he could be a relatively ok parent. Without the stresses of living with Tori or struggling/sacrificing too much to take care of the family, I think he could evolve into a fairly happy, stable person. Tori would never be happy even if she inherited all of her parents' money, won an Academy Award, married another soul mate, whatever.

• Love 6

I gave up on this show last season, I find it very suspect that she managed to dragot out another season. I've been catching up on this thread and have a few thoughts:

1) I actuallly spend quite a lot of time in hospitals (I'm in nursing school and im completing my clinical rotations) even at the height of Ebola I saw a total of 0 patients wearing a mask. Granted, I did see nurses/I myself wear a mask but more often than not the patient is not the one wearing a mask (It does happen just not commonly) but what's funny to me about the situation if she was true quarantined and in need of a mask, I doubt the hospital would have allowed a camera crew and the veritable circus that ensued.

2) Dr. Wexler... I actually have a therapist myself... But the difference is of anyone on this green planet, she is the first one to call me on bs. Even when I want a little coddling on occasion she flat out says that is not her jobs.

3) I by no means "like" Dean, but when he is the more likable character on a show that YOU are producing to make people feel sorry for YOU, that's a problem.

4) one of my pet peeves is people who constantly declare that they "need to take care of themselves" or "I put everyone else's beed before myself" the fact of the matter is, that people who do actually have that issue... Are the last to call attention to it. I'm not at all saying you shouldn't care for yourself or anything like that...my point is it feels like she is screaming " look at me... I'm having a breakdown because I care for everybody"

• Love 10

If next season focused on Tori honestly addressing her (obvious) eating disorder (with the help of real professionals), I would SO watch it. I say this as someone who is a recovering anorexic. It would be incredibly brave of her to admit she has a problem publicly and address it publicly. It would be so much braver than whatever dirty laundry she's currently airing on the show about their relationship. Plus, I am 100% convinced the main major issue in all of Tori's relationships is her eating disorder/control issues.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 7

If next season focused on Tori honestly addressing her (obvious) eating disorder (with the help of real professionals), I would SO watch it. I say this as someone who is a recovering anorexic. It would be incredibly brave of her to admit she has a problem publicly and address it publicly. It would be so much braver than whatever dirty laundry she's currently airing on the show about their relationship. Plus, I am 100% convinced the main major issue in all of Tori's relationships is her eating disorder/control issues.

That is an interesting point. It is interesting how Tori is so willing, eager even, to air her struggles with so many personal, potentially damaging issues, yet she is still so protective of her obvious eating disorder(s). There have been veiled allusions to it on this show, mostly through vague comments about her needing to "take care of herself" and Dean even said something about asking whether she's eaten, but it's mostly glossed over and I think there have been a few scenes of her eating tacos/hamburgers/whatever and making comments about how much she loves whatever food. There was also the scene with Mehran saying she looked thin, then quickly changing the subject. Tori acted like she didn't know/care how much she weighed. She did an interview admitting that she lied and said she swam to lose the baby weight after Finn because her publicist told her to when really she just starved herself, but she didn't frame that as pathological behavior. I wonder where she is in real life with her food/body issues, like whether she acknowledges/discusses them with Wexler and/or Dean, etc. It's telling that she is happy to tell the world about all of Dean's issues, from drug abuse to having a small dick, and she thinks people will admire her for her struggles with, well, everything, but she doesn't want to own what seems to be her central problem publicly.

• Love 6

If they do a show focused on a divorced Tori, it could be called SoliTori.

I was thinking that Dean could have her committed to a psychiatric facility for her plethora of issues.  He could call it SaniTorium!  (Couldn't resist)

• Love 17

I hadn't thought of that possibility.  Oh no.

Yeah. I could totally see Tori Spelling, former mediocre D list tv actress who ran her one time TV career into the gutter, .....I could see her being a neurotic stage mother. And using that new personna to somehow live, express her neuroses, through her child actor.

• Love 2

I'm marathoning the last 3 episodes, finally at the finale. I'll have more to say closer to the end, but shit oh my shit. Bitch is fkn MENTAL. It's been a year since he cheated on her and she still dedicates 24 hours a day (ok, 12 hours, minus the 12 hours each day she seems to be in bed "sick"...which can't be said without, *cough* *cough*) to exaggerating this in her life. Most women can't do this. Between work, kids, life...who has time for that?  God she needs a slap in the face with reality. Fuck her.

• Love 7

I had sinusitis and bronchitis for three weeks last month. You mean I could have been in the hospital for 13 days for that? I'm firing my doctor!!

And straycat80 You Could Have Taken Your Dog With You. Wonder who did the feeding and walking for her?
  • Love 2

Ok. Quick thoughts.

- WTF with her agonizing over being away from her kids for that damned w(h)ine trip then breezily coming back home after the trip and not giving one hug to her kids or asking them how they are, just presenting a damned pig?!

- Part 2 to that same thought; WTF with being in the hospital for TWO WEEKS for some self inflicted bullshit (aka undiagnosed personality disorder/eating disorder) and then just breezily coming home and unemotionally greeting the kids. Nice forced smile when they presented the cards that Dean thoughtfully made them do.

- Wexler. Fucking Wexler. The bloated, disgruntled elephant in the room that shows up 40 minutes late because he's tired of this bullshit gets a "here's an exercise! Tell me how Tori feels!" At first I thought she was trying to appease Tori and keep her reputation intact on camera with all her non-committal mewing. Now I just think she's horrible at her job. Horrible. The departure for me was the episode where it is so obvious that her not wanting to "leave her kids with Dean" was really about not wanting to be a shitty mother to them like her mother was. She spoon-fed that analysis to Wexler when she mentioned her mother and not wanting to make the same mistakes, then talked about her reticence with leaving for the weekend. Then Wexler let her divert the issue back to Dean?!?! It had NOTHING to do with him. Funny how she then easily allowed her kids to be with him for two weeks!

- As an aside, as a mom of a 4 year old not only would I have a hard time spending a night away, there is no hospital in the world that could keep me from him for two weeks. But it's because I love the heck out of him and enjoy him so much, not because I'm afraid of being perceived as a bad mom or because I'm putting his needs over mine.

- Wexler. Again, fucking Wexler. Tori is essentially having a forced panic attack with her agent, the same kind I would have with my mom when I was pretending to be sick in middle school. Wexler rolls her eyes so the camera and the audience sees that she sees through it, then does the slightest mewing confrontation "Oh. So this might affect whether you get work. Hmmm." Then, she allows Tori to blame it all Dean. "Sure, if it weren't for the fact that you were cheated on, you totally would have gotten your shit together and had a booming career" It was shitty of Wexler to roll her eyes behind her client's back, but then to not follow it up with some real insight? Incompetent.

- I think the edit on this has gotten wildly away from Tori. It's a good thing for her that he bowed out. Next season it can be her and Wexler talking about how awful Dean is without his annoying habit of trying to defend himself!

• Love 8

Isn't this the hospitalization where she first bitched and moaned that Dean had the nerve to spend time with his children instead of keep a 24/7 vigil by her bedside? Then backtracked when that drew negative reaction, when the story became "everything went swimmingly - the kids weren't fazed by my absence at all?"

Or was that another ridiculously long hospital retreat?

• Love 1