Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: Papa's Goods

I want to stay up & watch this so I don't get spoiled tmrw before I see it (usual bedtime: 9.30). However, how long is this bitch gonna run tonight?

According to my DirecTV program guide, that bitch is gonna run a whopping three full hours. (Including commercials and Afterword, of course. No idea if Afterword will run the typical hour, with the actual show being two hours, or if maybe Afterword is gonna be longer tonight.) Anyway, 10pm-1am Eastern. Yowza.

• Love 1

According to my DirecTV program guide, that bitch is gonna run a whopping three full hours. (Including commercials and Afterword, of course. No idea if Afterword will run the typical hour, with the actual show being two hours, or if maybe Afterword is gonna be longer tonight.) Anyway, 10pm-1am Eastern. Yowza.

Wow. Good thing my American Lit final isn't until 11:30 on Wednesday and we're just turning in a paper.

• Love 2

I haven't been watching this show, just checking in with the threads to see what's been happening. DH and I decided we would watch the finale...but god damn--113 minutes? I cannot with that. That's too much commitment for what is essentially a hate watch.

• Love 3

Alright...got hot chocolate* ready, with my Corgi and a blanket in my lap (my border collie may or may not join me, but at least one of the dogs hangs with me when I watch SOA).

I'm ready to go...lets ride!

*I realize I should be doing a Sons tribute and drinking black coffee, but I know I'm going to be up late, anyhow. Don't need any extra caffeine!

• Love 1

A friend convinced me to give Sons a chance. I binge-watched it in winter 2012, so I only got to see seasons 6 and 7 on FX. 

Gemma is such a fantastic character and is what made me check out Katey Sagal's catalog. Love her.

Love Walton Goggins for Venus.

Chibs = <3 Love Tommy Flanagan.

Seasons 1-3 were so good. I will definitely view those many times.

Here's hoping the Sons prequel happens in a few years. I'll miss the Sons universe.

• Love 4

The whole episode had a tone that this was Jax's funeral basically. It was an entire episode devoted to the death of Jax. Letting the viewers and the family all come to terms with it by the end of the episode when it does actually happen you've expected it for 80 mins already. 

I had tears during Jax's goodbyes. With his boys, with Wendy, Nero, and especially the club. Even Chibs making Tig his VP and their chat made me tear up. 

Chibs threatening Althea. All types of win.

Loved seeing a last car/bike chase with Connor with the Sons, although Elvis's Can't Help Falling in Love was an interesting song. The whole scene with the IRA, Connor, the guys, with Chibs telling Connor to say thank you and Jax's amusement. Was great nods to the brotherhood these guys have. Same with the patching in TO scene. They were all smiling and wonderful in that scene.

When Jax was doing his car chase with the cops, I was quite surprised at the amount of cops chasing him. Since when does Charming have all those cops? They've been shooting people and walking away for 7 seasons, now Jax does it and a billion cops are suddenly after him. Loved him tying up the loose ends with Marks, Barofsky, the IRA and not care about the consequences because he knew he'd be dead. 

Abel having the ring Gemma gave him at the end and playing with it on his finger was great, thought it was a good nod to "Adam raised a Cain." Which I presume is the song Sutter wanted and finally got. Also showed that may be Jax's son would follow in his footsteps and history may repeat. Made me also wonder if FX  told Sutter they may have wanted a flash forward series one day. SOA: The Next Generation.

The crows at the end, it's where we started with the crows. Good last image for the closing scene.

• Love 6

YAWN!!! What a complete bore.  So he finally admits that he is basically a cancer but then he goes out and kills several more people and terrorizes innocents in a deli.  Then he lets Michael Chiklis live with running over another human being for the rest of his life.  

The only good thing in the whole episode was seeing Venus again!!!

Poor Unser---Nero didn't seem to give a shit that he sent Unser to his death.  There were no surprises, this was just self indulgent 'mythologizing' of a character that wasn't worth it if you ask me.

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 20

Vic Mackey killed Jax Teller.

The car chase was the slowest one ever. I don’t know why those cops didn’t shoot out Jax’s tires. There was no other cars on the road and it would have hurt no one but the dummy who has killled everyone.

I was completely dry-eyed throughout the whole thing. I wish the other dummies in the club died as well.

• Love 12

Appropriate that Jax went out his way, but he really should have taken flight over the cliff. Guess he just wasn't man enough to do it a la Thelma and Louise. I'm satisfied though, and we got to see sweet sweet Venus one last time!

• Love 10

Well, guess well never knew who killed Gemma's birds and wrote on the threats on the kid's room.

We knew who that was in the same episode, it was Marks's guy. 

The show just ended here on the East Coast so I don't know how you posted all that 10 minutes ago?

I'm East Coast too, my episode ended 11:15. I always thought US/Canada all ended together on East Coast. I guess Canadian feed was different. We did have no commercials. It was scheduled to end at 11:30, but final scene was at 11:15.

Then he lets Michael Chiklis live with running over another human being for the rest of his life.

OMG - that was EXACTLY what I thought! "Now, that nice tomato man has to live with killing a guy!" I get it - symbolism with Chiklis and all - but....SELFISH!

• Love 5

We knew who that was in the same episode, it was Marks's guy. 

I'm East Coast too, my episode ended 11:15. I always thought US/Canada all ended together on East Coast. I guess Canadian feed was different. We did have no commercials. It was scheduled to end at 11:30, but final scene was at 11:15.

Nope. I came here 15 minutes before the end of the episode and read your post. By that time I was so bored that I was more confused than "spoiled", but it wasn't over yet here in NY.

• Love 2

What did Tig whisper to Jax?

Jax needed to die somehow. That's fair.

So Chibs doing the sheriff was all to set up him threatening her with his new power. Brilliant.

Now watching the Sutter tongue-bath. But...OPIE!

(I'd volunteer to give Charlie a tongue-bath, though. Rowwwwr!)

Edited by Disraeli Ears
  • Love 4

That might be the worst series finale I've ever seen. It was totally predictable. All this episode proved was that Jax was a selfish bastard who had no hope of going legit, and that Tara and the boys never stood a chance as long as he was alive. He started off a selfish bastard and died a selfish bastard.

The only good thing was Nero and Wendy riding off into the sunset in her Mom-mobile.

• Love 8

I'm satisfied.  Everything I wanted to have happen did.  Wouldn't have minded a flash forward a few year as I'm curious to see where the club/Wendy and boys etc ended up but meh.  Overall I was happy.

Loved the music in this episode and I also teared when Jax said good bye to the boys.  I also appreciated when he said that selling everything and getting away from Charming is what he should have done when Tara was alive.  I was like "god damn right it was!"  

I wanted Chibs and Tig to outlive everyone and they did so yay!

• Love 8

The best moment in the finale, for me, was to viscerally feel and to see a genuinely menacing Chibs threaten Althea.  For the first time in a very long time, a SAMCRO member looked and felt the part to me.

I would have loved to see a bit of life after Jax.  Would Chibs be able to navigate all the crap that would be raining down on the club?  There is no way they would not be targets of black, Chinese/asians, IRA, and law enforcement.  I see no way the MC survives all that.  I also have great difficulty accepting that Wendy would ever choose an innocent's life.  She was too far gone, just as Jax explained he was to JT at the end, in my opinion.  She would never feel right or trust an ordinary life.    

"It's time."  This, to me, seals that homeless woman was an avenging angel.  But, c'mon man, some person cloaked on the steps to a courthouse would not have been challenged?   

What did Tig whisper to Jax?

"There are no words.  I have no words."

• Love 1

Appropriate that Jax went out his way, but he really should have taken flight over the cliff. Guess he just wasn't man enough to do it a la Thelma and Louise

Oh my god, yes!!!!  When I saw the ridiculous number of cop cars behind him, my first thought was Thelma & Louise!!! 

• Love 6

Not sure it was worth staying up past midnight, but that Tig/Venus scene might have made up for it.

I'm annoyed that Jax hits the truck and that's it. Not a satisfying ending to me.

I was annoyed by all the Jesus imagery in the final scene.  As if the CGI wasn't terrible enough, we got blood and bread and a pair of Tellers masquerading as crows.

Abel having the ring Gemma gave him at the end and playing with it on his finger was great, thought it was a good nod to "Adam raised a Cain."

That scene reminded of the very end of the final moments of "Alias," with little Isabelle playing with the Project Christmas blocks and displaying all the signs of potential recruitment and then knocking them over and returning to her life, cycle broken.  I was so hoping Abel would fall asleep like Wendy and Thomas and the ring would slip from his finger, forgotten in the blur of being a five-year-old and lost in the depths of a momvan's undercarriage.   Instead, Gemma wins.  I don't know which was more depressing: the poor tomato trucker's guilt or Gemma clinging to control from beyond the grave.

ETA:  I can't hate anything that features a song from "Darkness on the Edge of Town."  The song in the closing montage was a bit on the nose, but Springsteen was the exact right choice.

I also teared when Jax said good bye to the boys.  I also appreciated when he said that selling everything and getting away from Charming is what he should have done when Tara was alive.  I was like "god damn right it was!"

I didn't bawl like when Tara died, but it was nice to see Jax pay attention to Thomas.  I wish we'd seen more of him with the boys in the wake of Tara's death, and even after the Wendy reveal.  Rather than bribe Abel into calling Wendy "mom," he could have explained that Tara will always be his mom even if Wendy is too.  He was the WORST dad.  I do believe he loved his boys (awesome ending quote), but he was a terrible husband and father.  I also hope Nero does talk to the boys about Jax, emphasizes his poor choices, but affirms his love for Tara and his sons.   They need those stories, that closure, or they will always wonder.  Seriously - WORST dad all the way to the end.

ETA:

Was there a point to Happy getting shot?

To appease the other SoA charters, SAMCRO would claim that Jax shot his way out of his execution and escaped; wounding Happy was the evidence.

Edited by Lila82
  • Love 5

I'm at least glad he didn't kill another 20 cops along with him.

And the best line of the night for me was him telling Nero (paraphrasing?), "I'm a bad man. Make sure my sons know that. Make sure they hate the very thought of me."

Edited by missy jo
  • Love 9

I couldn't stop laughing at the final scene! That's not the reaction they were going for, I think. I'm worried about Wendy and Nero. Abel has serial killer writen all over him, and he already knows what it takes to replace a parental figure.

The thing I enjoyed most was hearing Springsteen from back when he wasn't a shilling for politicians. Man, I feel old.

• Love 7

Well, it's clear why Sutter was so comfortable as Otto getting it up the ass in prison, because, clearly, he can fit his entire head up there.

The bread and wine was strange symbolism.  Was she supposed to symbolize Jesus?  I don't think Jesus is okay with murder.

I'm assuming the club is going to stop the violence by being like "hey, it was Jax's fault!  And he's dead.  So."

The thing I enjoyed most was hearing Springsteen from back when he wasn't a shilling for politicians. Man, I feel old.

But now he's lending his songs to one of the worst finales I've ever watched.  He has terrible decision making skills.

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 7