Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

WhineandCheez

The Annual Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Topic

Why is this on every year?  It's so freakin exactly the same every year.  Can't they lose the wings one year or something--I don't know- not blow a kiss each time?  it's the only show to appear on TV that you could watch in 15 years later and nothing would look different.

The wings are their signature, but there's too many of them. It used to special moment in the show to see wings and only a few select models got them, but now  it seems just about everyone gets them. They've lost their luster.

I found the show boring this year. The music choices were odd, the outfits are just too over the top now and I can't stand all the kissing and waving. The show used to resemble an actual fashion show. I could have also done without Taylor Swift, she has absolutely no stage presence to speak of and can't sing live. Neither can Ariana Grande, she sounds like she's singing with a mouthful of marbles.

Amazing that a company like VS that basically sells sex-appeal managed to make Taylor Swift look so...ordinary, beauty-wise for a second year in a row. Though, maybe Taylor chooses her outfits and makeup herself, who knows. In any event, she looks much better in other concerts or events, IMO.

But even if she looked better than al lthe VS models, that still wouldn't be a good enough reason for the camera to cut to her every two seconds. And I say that as a recent convert to the Swift cult.

Karlie Kloss and Lindsay Ellingson looked beyod amazing, though. Which is a good enough reason for the show's existence, as far as I am concerned.

P.S. Whoever designs the outfits for the Pink section should indicted for crimes against humanity. Or at least against fashion. Every year they become uglier and uglier. I keep thinking "no way they can top this ugliness" and they keep proving me wrong.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe

I actually thought Taylor Swift looked great. I don't generally pay too much attention to her, but I liked her performances last night. Ariana Grande, on the other hand, was a total mess. I do not get the appeal for her at all. Ed Sheeran's was a total snoozefest. And Hozier...I do like that song, but I didn't think it fit very well with the fashion show. Energetic songs work better I think. 

This year's was kind of underwhelming. I realize they're not usually that different from year to year, but usually I feel like there is a little more pep to them. And I agree that it's kind of ridiculous that damn near everybody gets some version of a set of wings at this point. 

Alessandra looked amazing at the very end, in the all black segment. Her and Adriana have always been my favorites, by far. 

Hozier would work better for one of the darker or militaristic runway shows, where the models all storm down the runway looking like they want to cut someone.  Happy, kissy, flirty Victoria's Secret doesn't fit with a song about "I'll tell you my sins so you can sharpen your knife", or whatever the lyric is.

• Like 1

Why is this on every year?  It's so freakin exactly the same every year.  Can't they lose the wings one year or something--I don't know- not blow a kiss each time?  it's the only show to appear on TV that you could watch in 15 years later and nothing would look different.

If you see the models as interchangeable sex objects with no individual humanity or agency, sure.

But I see the person beneath the bra, panties, thigh highs and garters

I've never watched it-it looks boring. 

the funny thing about this show is that everyone i know (personally) that watches it is a straight female, which just doesn't seem like their target demo.

i do agree that it doesn't really change from year to year except in one aspect- Victoria's Secret used to be where models who were "too big" or "too curvy" for runway went. now, for the most part, it's the same skinny minnies as regular runway. Doutzen, and maybe Adriana and Isabeli, seem to be the only exceptions these days.

speaking of, Isabeli and Jourdan Dunn are HUGE modeling names. wtf are they doing in this show?

as much as i love Blank Space, god does Swifty bug. stop touching the models. you're obnoxious.

Edited by blackCatCollins