Type keyword(s) to search

TCM: The Greatest Movie Channel

mariah23
  • Start Topic

(edited)

To be honest, I always thought Paulette Goddard coasted more on likability than actual talent. I love her The Women, but her other roles... eh. She always seemed outclassed by her co-stars, whether it was Chaplin in Modern Times, or Claudette Colbert and Veronica Lake (who I believe was a truly underrated actress) in So Proudly We Hail

Sorry, but I think Vivien Leigh owned the role of Scarlett O'Hara, no one else would have ever come close, least of all Goddard, IMO.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

It's interesting to see the comments about Paulette Goddard in that book about Mitchell Leisen that I seem to keep mentioning. Her costars (principal among them, I think, Ray Milland who worked with her in Kitty) mention that, perhaps because of her association with Chaplin, her work tended to be mechanical and calculated -- she seemed to have no natural sense of timing. But, added Milland who seemed to be fond of her through it all, she was smart and knew her deficiencies better than anyone, so she worked hard "and in the end her performances were quite all right."

Now, I haven't seen everything she did, not by a long shot, but that doesn't seem to accord with what I have seen. In particular, she turns up halfway through The Women on the train to Reno, and gives the picture a much-needed kick in energy and tempo, all by herself. (Well, Mary Boland, who arrives at the same point, helps too.) I don't think such a single-handed boost of personality could be the result of clever coaching and contrivance. So I'm still making up my mind about her.

The whole middle segment of the miniseries Garson Kanin's 'Moviola', "The Scarlett O'Hara War," deals with this. There doesn't seem to be a venue for this sort of thing to be shown any more, but it sure was fun to see all those figures enacted: Tony Curtis as Selznick, Harold Gould as Mayer, and the whole lineup of lady stars: Carole Lombard (Sharon Gless), Joan Crawford (Barrie Youngfellow), Tallulah Bankhead (Carrie Nye, perfect), Paulette Goddard (Gwen Humble), Katharine Hepburn (Merle Ann Taylor), Jean Arthur (Vicki Belmonte), Lucille Ball (Gypsi DeYoung), and finally Vivien Leigh (Morgan Brittany, just right).

• Love 1
On 3/6/2017 at 10:09 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

We all knew this was coming but it doesn't make it any less sad.  Is it too soon for me to grump that none of the other hosts are really good replacements for him?  

I miss the set they used for Robert Osbourne's intros. I don't know if people would be upset if the other hosts used it but I would prefer they did, at least some of the time. If they do use it, I haven't seen it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just wanted to say that I think everyone here would enjoy the mini-series Feud that is running on Sundays on FX:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1984119/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

about Joan Crawford and Bette Davis and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?  I've only seen the first episode, but that episode was great.  I think the limited nature of the run may keep Ryan Murphy from going off the rails with the concept.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
(edited)

I've always enjoyed Paulette Goddard - I don't think she would have come up to Leigh as Scarlett, but her performance in Kitty is really good (and a decent British accent!).  I know I've mentioned it before, but it's a terrific movie.  And after all, Scarlett is nothing if not calculating.

I also enjoyed the first episode of Feud - it will be interesting to see if, past the first episode, the exposition becomes less obvious.  I'm not sure I like the framing device - it seems like a huge info dump.  It doesn't seem necessary.

Edited by Crisopera

Ms. Sarandon is really nailing Bette Davis--I gather Ms. D thought Ms. S. should have played her in a biopic.  And Ms. Lange is ever so much more effective than Faye Dunaway playing to the second balcony in Mommie Dearest.   I think I'm in with Feud till the end.

• Love 3

Oh my - just looked at the lineup for the tribute to Robert next weekend.  I will be setting my DVR for EVERYTHING!!  They are replaying so many of the interviews he did.  I think I've seen them all except the one with Norman Jewison.  But I wish they were showing the interview he did with the child stars, which was so fascinating, and also so sad, as many of them were mistreated in a variety of ways.  Another one which really stands out in my memory is also not being shown, and that was the interview he did with Ann Miller.  One thing especially stuck with me, a horrifying story she told about how one of her husbands threw her down a flight of stairs when she was pregnant resulting in the loss of the child.  On a lighter note, I also spent about half the interview wondering how any human being could keep the amount of makeup she had on to remain on her face and not drip/slide down her front. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, prican58 said:

I just got a hankering for some Merv Griffin and here I find a very old segment with Joan Crawford. Fitting for the current Feud airing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJvFhXa64m4

Thanks for sharing that!  Crawford as a blonde -- wow.

I recognize Christopher Connelly (Norman Harrington on the Peyton Place TV series) but I don't recognize the young woman sitting next to him.  Who else was on that panel?  Robert Vaughn and ???  I remember the fuzzy-haired comic but can't recall his name.

The woman sitting with Christopher Connelly was introduced as someone else from Peyton Place. I think he said Patricia Morrow, which would make sense as their two characters were paired romantically on the show.

21 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

The whole middle segment of the miniseries Garson Kanin's 'Moviola', "The Scarlett O'Hara War," deals with this. There doesn't seem to be a venue for this sort of thing to be shown any more, but it sure was fun to see all those figures enacted: Tony Curtis as Selznick, Harold Gould as Mayer, and the whole lineup of lady stars: Carole Lombard (Sharon Gless), Joan Crawford (Barrie Youngfellow), Tallulah Bankhead (Carrie Nye, perfect), Paulette Goddard (Gwen Humble), Katharine Hepburn (Merle Ann Taylor), Jean Arthur (Vicki Belmonte), Lucille Ball (Gypsi DeYoung), and finally Vivien Leigh (Morgan Brittany, just right).

I caught a little bit of Moviola back when it aired and would love to see the whole thing.  Hmmm, can we petition TCM to show it?  :-)

(edited)

With all the cable channels around looking for audience-grabbing product to fill their hours, I'm amazed that there isn't one devoted to just the glossy network miniseries and movies-of-the-week of the 1970s through the 90s. There were tons of them, and now it's as though they never existed.

I don't expect TCM to do any of that, but (as they do show a TV item once in a great while) I would love it if the next time they programmed the Jeanne Eagels The Letter followed by the Bette Davis version, they would add the Lee Remick version (which also had Jack Thompson, Ian McShane, Christopher Cazenove, Wilfrid Hyde-White, and Soon-Tek Oh) that aired as an ABC telefilm. She was ideal in the role, I thought, the equal of the other eminent ladies who've played it. Actually, in searching just now, I see that the TCM site does have an entry for this one, so maybe they did air it once. If so, they should again.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 4

Went to see the TCM/Fathom Events presentation of All About Eve last night.  Barely made it in time for Ben's intro, as I did some last-minute black eyeliner & red lipstick-ing (felt apropos).

And, WOW! was it spectacular on the big screen!  No surprise there...I guess the surprise -- for me at least -- was catching all the things I'd missed over the years & repeated TV viewings.  There were a few dialogue exchanges that I couldn't remember hearing before, and *that* was weird.

One that I'd paid scant attention to, until last night, was Eve's first few lines of her "audition" monologue for Margo & co.  She mentions how she sometimes has a hard time distinguishing fantasy & reality (can't be bothered to look it up, but that's the gist) -- and I immediately thought: "When people tell you who they are, believe them!"

The coolness factor was Davis, three stories tall.  And -- look at that, had never noticed that her iconic party gown was fur-trimmed.  And that a Sarah Siddons award was there on her mantel (am I the only person who never noticed?).  I am at least grateful that Mankiewicz didn't hit us over the head with that.  We see Eve taking a bow in Margo's costume, not -- as Phoebe does in the coda -- fondling her award.

Also a reminder that Gary Merrill's Bill is one of cinema's perfect marriages of actor to role.  So much so, it wouldn't matter what else he ever did onscreen (uncomfortable pause) -- we're indebted for his portrayal of Margo's Perfect Man/Perfect Match.  Not in a boring way  -- he can be vain, wrong, provoked! But he was ever the truly loyal lover.

*sigh*

As usual, I was the only one in the theater who laughed at loud.  

Here's the backstage TV miniseries I'd've preferred (h/t All About "All About Eve"), though I am grooving over Feud.

And I have to recommend Garson Kanin's Moviola the book.  Not a fan of the present-day narrative thread plot, but the "Scarlett O'Hara Wars" chapter, in particular, is a gossipy delight (I left with a whole new respect for Tallulah Bankhead, who drunkenly threatened that her daddy the senator would pass a *law* preventing an Englishwoman from playing Scarlett).

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, voiceover said:

The coolness factor was Davis, three stories tall.  And -- look at that, had never noticed that her iconic party gown was fur-trimmed.  And that a Sarah Siddons award was there on her mantel (am I the only person who never noticed?).

When I saw a brand new 35mm print of Casablanca at the first TCM Film Festival, I saw tons of stuff going on in the backgrounds of scenes that I'd literally never seen before. Despite having seen the movie 300 times.

• Love 4

Yay; not just me, then.  Feel free to dole them out whenever!  Would love to expand my mental file on that film.

I had already twigged the following reading as such, so seeing it on the super-big screen was just confirmation.  The most famous line of the film ("Fasten your seatbelts ...") -- the signature camp moment of all Bette Davis impersonators -- has a very subtle difference when heard in the context of the party scene.

Bill is scowling.  Lloyd remarks that the atmosphere is "Macbeth-ish".  Karen wants to know if they can expect more of the same.

So Margo's line isn't a one-off, "Look at me!" moment.  It's more a challenge accepted: "Out my way, bitchez!"

Someday I'll figure out a better way to explain that moment.  

There are worse problems to have.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 1

Have you heard about this?  "Five Came Back" on Netflix 

saoirse: MARCH 1

Five Came Back focuses on five directors — John Ford, George Stevens, John Huston, William Wyler, and Frank Capra — who were sent to film the war and examines how their work helped shape public consciousness about the conflict. The book was released in 2014...

Five Came Back premieres March 31 on Netflix.

There is a forum for this here

This seems like something just made for TCM, I guess it will reach more people on Netflix.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall TCM did do something about Capra's war experience, if not a few of the others.

• Love 1

The book by Mark Harris, the basis of the Netflix show, is very good.  As is his previous book, Pictures at an Exhibition, about the nominees for the Best Picture Oscar in 1967.

And voiceover, have you checked out Sam Staggs' book All About All About Eve?  We talked about it here some time back, it's a lot of fun.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2017 at 11:47 AM, Rinaldo said:

With all the cable channels around looking for audience-grabbing product to fill their hours, I'm amazed that there isn't one devoted to just the glossy network miniseries and movies-of-the-week of the 1970s through the 90s. There were tons of them, and now it's as though they never existed.

Yes, we need a network to fill this void.  There were SO many good trashy tv movies and mini series during that era.  My grandmother and I would sit and watch them together.  It was always so much fun.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Charlie Baker said:

And voiceover, have you checked out Sam Staggs' book All About All About Eve?  We talked about it here some time back, it's a lot of fun.

Own it; taught it; recommended it ages ago here (or possibly @ TWoP.), and recommended it on the pilot thread of Feud for someone asking for recommendations for Bette Davis books.  I said there, that it was the source material for the miniseries I'd rather see.  Said it here too.  Left out the book mention here.

18 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

Yes, we need a network to fill this void.  There were SO many good trashy tv movies and mini series during that era.  My grandmother and I would sit and watch them together.  It was always so much fun.

TCM occasionally taps that source, usually as part of the Saturday overnight freak film collection.  IIRC, sometime in the last six months they screened Satan's School for Girls, which I actually remembered seeing during its first run as one of the ABC Movies of the Week.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, voiceover said:

TCM occasionally taps that source, usually as part of the Saturday overnight freak film collection.  IIRC, sometime in the last six months they screened Satan's School for Girls, which I actually remembered seeing during its first run as one of the ABC Movies of the Week.

This reminds me to mention (if it hasn't been mentioned yet here) that Netflix is reviving Mystery Science Theater 3000 on April 14. The cast this time around includes Patton Oswalt. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Netflix is reviving Mystery Science Theater 3000 on April 14. The cast this time around includes Patton Oswalt. 

Mr. Moving has been wanting us to get Netflix for YEARS.  I haven't wanted to shell out any more money for tv entertainment because our cable costs are so high.  However, I am a huge MST fan so now I am really tempted.  Are Netflix and HULU worth the money?  I guess I could cut out some of the premium movie channels....but NOT TCM.  Any opinions? 

8 hours ago, Charlie Baker said:

And voiceover, have you checked out Sam Staggs' book All About All About Eve?

This made me think I hadn't referenced the book title in my original post.  But I did, as someone pointed out to me in an IM.

It's bolded, even.

Thanks for the gaslight, Charlie.?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Charlie Baker said:

The book by Mark Harris, the basis of the Netflix show, is very good.

Yes it is. We don't have Netflix and don't plan to but i'll be interested to read you-all's opinions on the mini- series.

I don't know if any of you remember a show called "The CBS Children's Film Festival" which ran in the late 1960's to the mid 1970's.  It was hosted by Kukla, Fran and Ollie and featured films from around the world that centered on children.  The first film they showed was a British film called "Hand in Hand" which was about the friendship between 2 children, a Catholic boy and a Jewish girl.  Many of us who saw it remember it fondly.  Anyway, TCM will be showing it tomorrow night at 10:00 EST so you may want to set your DVRs.

• Love 3

Just watched Katharine Hepburn's "All About Me"...reminded of a few of my favorite films of hers; two of them TV movies that should, fer crissakes, be shown on TCM: Love Among the Ruins (how I *wish* I could find the Hirschfeld drawing of Hepburn & Olivier in costume), and a fine remake of The Corn is Green. (ETA: "Ruins" actually might have been screened on TCM during Summer Under the Stars)

The other was Rooster Cogburn, featuring a John Wayne who looks much younger than I remember.   Nothing to do with my current age, I'm sure.

That clip of the two, where she first refuses to go along with him, is Gold.  It's as close to Spencer Tracy the Sequel as anything ever was.

In addition to that Hirschfeld drawing (which IIRC was a TV Guide cover), wish I still had two articles from the same magazine, both written by Kate.  One was about her time with the Duke; the other, in Wales with Cukor on their last film together.  One concluded with her philosophizing: "...so just keep a-goin'...It's when you stop that you're done."  

As a 17-year-old, her words so impressed me, I put them in my yearbook bio.  Of course, the editor, who couldn't stand me, "accidentally" edited it to "keep a-gon".  

Moments like this make me wish I'd been more Bette Davis than Kate Hepburn in high school, the better to say, "Fuck off, Sylvia!"* to that moron.

* from last night's ep of "Feud: Bette and Joan".

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Badger said:

I don't know if any of you remember a show called "The CBS Children's Film Festival" which ran in the late 1960's to the mid 1970's.  It was hosted by Kukla, Fran and Ollie and featured films from around the world that centered on children.  The first film they showed was a British film called "Hand in Hand" which was about the friendship between 2 children, a Catholic boy and a Jewish girl.  Many of us who saw it remember it fondly.  Anyway, TCM will be showing it tomorrow night at 10:00 EST so you may want to set your DVRs.

Badger, I am watching now. Love it and I remember watching as a kid on the CBS show. Funny but I was actually thinking about it about a month ago. I remember K,F and O introducing it. 

These two kids are too adorable.

• Love 2

So it's not just me and Hand in Hand.  My people!  I saw it on the CBS Children's Film Festival when I was 7 and remembered it often throughout the years yet couldn't recall the title, but when I saw the description on my cable guide, I was elated.  Can't wait to watch my recording.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, elle said:

This one?  (a bit dear, sorry!)

OH MAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!

That is exactly the same one!!  Whyohwhy did I not save that TV Guide cover?

*weeps for the bouts of spring cleaning*

Thanks so very much for the link, though.  It's wonderful, don't you think? Exactly as I remember it.   And if I had that kind of money, I would buy it on the spot.

Finally watched TCM's broadcast of the AFI tribute to John Williams, which had been on my DVR for--I don't know how long? I taped it because of its obvious interest, but then delayed watching it for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: these tributes are usually smarmy and overblown; if you know something about the honoree, you generally don't learn anything new; even worse than not learning anything new, you have to watch as the speakers attempt to educate a home audience who knows nothing. And indeed for a while this one seemed to suffer some of those faults. But something changed in the last fifteen minutes, and I found myself truly, emotionally (not just intellectually) appreciative of Williams' gifts all over again, as I had been the first many times I'd been exposed to them. (And not incidentally, appreciative all over again of the genius of Spielberg, who was practically a co-honoree.)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Finally watched TCM's broadcast of the AFI tribute to John Williams, which had been on my DVR for--I don't know how long? I taped it because of its obvious interest, but then delayed watching it for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: these tributes are usually smarmy and overblown; if you know something about the honoree, you generally don't learn anything new; even worse than not learning anything new, you have to watch as the speakers attempt to educate a home audience who knows nothing. And indeed for a while this one seemed to suffer some of those faults. But something changed in the last fifteen minutes, and I found myself truly, emotionally (not just intellectually) appreciative of Williams' gifts all over again, as I had been the first many times I'd been exposed to them. (And not incidentally, appreciative all over again of the genius of Spielberg, who was practically a co-honoree.)

I watched this when TCM aired it (whenever that was) and I absolutely loved it.  John Williams is a true genius and apparently a gentleman as well. 

• Love 1

Maybe being nature-related is the theme, but they're mostly not adventure films. Follow Me, Boys! is Fred MacMurray being a Boy Scout troop leader. The Hound That Thought He Was a Raccoon is one of those borderline things, filmed in nature but fictional (to say the least): a 45-minute animal story; I think it may have been made to air on the Disney TV show. The Incredible Journey -- people know that, right? pets persevere to find their way home. Jungle Cat is indeed one of the True-Life Adventures. Charlie, the Lonesome Cougar is another animals-plus-plotline job.

I always love seeing Chip and Dale. It looks like they'll be the highlight for me this time.

• Love 1

Well, today is Saint Patrick's Day so we got a lot of Irish themed films.....so, thoughts on The Quiet Man?

Seriously, though, it's nice to see movies highlighting the Irish fight for independence after being screwed up the ass by England for God knows how long.  It's also nice to highlight other Irish accomplishments that don't involve whiskey and drunkenness.

• Love 1

I've looked ahead on the schedule and I'm disappointed that TCM isn't doing a movie marathon for Joan Crawford's birthday on the 23rd.  I'm a huge (some may say obsessed) fan of hers but you would think with Feud out right now, TCM would capitalize on that and air a handful of her films. 

• Love 2

Ben mentioned on the intro for the Luise Rainer interview -- Robert knew that she was faking the hearing problem (she'd heard everything he'd said when they were in a noisy backstage area), but played along with her pretense onstage.

I can't remember where I read this, but it perfectly applies here: "I suspect no one has ever felt uncomfortable in his presence."

• Love 2

Really enjoying all the Private Screenings being shown in the tribute to Robert Osborne (I did take a break this afternoon to watch college basketball - go Badgers) and the one where Alec Baldwin is interviewing Robert shows all these clips from Private Screenings.  There are just a few in this tribute - please, please TCM show all these.  I'm not sure how many Robert did over the years, but it seems to me it could be a lovely tribute to Robert to show them.  Perhaps feature 2 or 3 films of a particular star, and also show their PS or interview from the TCM festival.  Or even better - release these on DVD.  What classic movie fan wouldn't want these in their collection? 

15 hours ago, PaulaO said:

A tear in my eye and a lump in my throat watching the tributes to Robert Osborne.

Me, too!

I'm watching Alec Baldwin interview him right now. Soo excited to hear him speak about himself & his life for a change. I would say he was rather a private person, which I think is a classy throwback to old Hollywood days. Soo nice to look upon his handsome face & listen to that warm voice again...

Hmmm.... I may have to open a bottle of champagne while I watch this. Reminds of this one sad New Year's Eve some years ago. I was all alone & there he was in his impeccable tuxedo, sipping champagne, introducing "The Thin Man." I ran & threw on a gown & raised my glass right along with him. He got me through a rough night, smh, lol....

• Love 2

Awww..... I saw the Alec Baldwin interview of Robert Osborne before & I loved it then, but it has a special resonance now. When people pass away, I always wonder.... did they know how much they were loved?!? I wrote to him a few times over the years, but I don't know if he ever got my letters. I hope so....

The lesson here is: Say. It. Now. People.

Say it now.

If there is someone in your life whom you love-- or who makes you smile or laugh or just makes your day easier--- tell them now. The tributes & services are just for those of us left behind.....

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Calvada said:

Really enjoying all the Private Screenings [...] I'm not sure how many Robert did over the years, but it seems to me it could be a lovely tribute [...] Or even better - release these on DVD.  What classic movie fan wouldn't want these in their collection? 

This is a great idea.

And they could include his bobblehead.

Edited by voiceover
Because my first reax meant the same thing, but sounded harsh.
  • Love 1

I am watching bits and pieces of the weekend tribute as I get the house ready for guests. I loved the private screening with Eva Marie Saint. She is so classy and spunky and fun! As usual, Mr. Osborne let her talk and didn't try to hog the interview. He asked interesting, pertinent questions and let her go. I was sad to read on IMDb that her beloved Jeffrey passed away on Christmas Eve last year. What an amazing marriage they had! Can't wait to watch the other hours I've recorded!

• Love 1