Type keyword(s) to search

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Kale isn't something that I love or even like, I know I have eaten too many rich foods if I happen to start thinking any kale salad sounds awesome! But I love this kale salad and it's converted a lot of kale haters. It sounds ridiculous but massaging your kale really makes a huge difference.

I love Kale. I either saute or juice it.

I discovered Pecan Oil. It has a higher heat tolerance than even grapeseed and avocado. The brand I use is Kimloch. Two things... you store it in the fridge and it does not cloud or get thick. It is clear and clean tasting. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Qoass said:

I just read that McDonald's is rolling out garlic fries and oh lordy, I want some!

Unfortunately, I think you can only get them if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area. At least right now. They're a sort of tie-in to Gilroy, California, &/or their annual Garlic Festival.

• Love 1

McDonalds can do whatever they want as long as they always have the regular fries. 

I haven't tried a flavored water I much like. Maybe Syfo tangerine.

I love bleu cheese. I love burgers. But together? No can do. The melty bleu was just blech. To me. I was sure I'd love it.

14 hours ago, NewDigs said:

I love bleu cheese. I love burgers. But together? No can do. The melty bleu was just blech. To me. I was sure I'd love it.

I had the same experience!  It's like all of the burger's awesomeness got eaten up by the cheese's awesomeness.  A "there can be only one" kind of thing. Who would have thought that plain old American Cheese would be a far superior choice, but here it is.

• Love 1

I dislike pretty much all blue cheeses, so such burgers are off the table for me anyway.  The cheese I hate on a burger despite liking it otherwise is Swiss. 

• Love 3

And I didn't think the burgered-bleu was awesome. I thought it was awful and put me in mind of old socks. I should have scraped it off. At first I couldn't figure out what tasted "off" about the burger! I'll stick with crumbled bleu in salads etc., not warmed.

One of my favorite burger stops is a place in the St. Pete area that uses real Veleveeta on their burgers! Not some knock-off orange American "cheese". Lol

Swiss on a burger sounds kind of wrong but I think I've seen mushroom & swiss burgers that have looked tempting. 

Man, you guys are making me miss eating at St. John's in Sunnyvale. Their mushroom & bleu cheese burger (and garlic fries!) was feloniously good. Actually, that entire strip-mall was packed with good places to eat.

And now I'm hungry.

I'm not really into juice bars, but a local one (yeah, they're usually local - LOL), is selling beet almond milk.  It's surprisingly good!  Going to try it with coffee tomorrow. 

(edited)

If you live where you can buy Zapp's brand potato chips and you like pimento cheese, try their new flavor Sweet Pimento Cream Cheese.  I don't usually buy Zapp's (their chips are usually the kettle type and I'm more of a thin type chip eater), but I thought I would give these a try.  They were surprisingly tasty.  They taste (and look) a little like sweet BBQ potato chips but have a little bite of red bell pepper taste and then there is a pimento cheese aftertaste.  I don't think I'll go out and buy them often (I think they are limited edition anyway), but I thought they were pretty good.

Edited by BooksRule

S'mores with dark chocolate instead of Hershey's. Anyone who thinks one MUST make that treat with that particular brand of chocolate has NO idea how to REALLY live. LOL

While at Trader Joe's the other day, I noticed a display of watermelon spritz so I bought a 4-pack.  Blech!  I even squirted some lime juice in it--no improvement. But it sure looks pretty.  Think I'll stick with Deer Park's plain sparkling water with a squirt of lime juice.  Now something I did try that was excellent was Wegman's Cranberry Lime Frizzante...and I got a little crazy, rubbed the rim of the glass in lime juice and dipped it  lightly into fine sea salt before pouring in the frizzante.  Not bad at all :>)

New food I tried that I disliked? Beef brisket. Grey, fatty and so bland that no amount of sauce could render it having any flavor whatsoever. IOW, something one wouldn't be surprised being used to feed prisoners.

29 minutes ago, Blergh said:

New food I tried that I disliked? Beef brisket. Grey, fatty and so bland that no amount of sauce could render it having any flavor whatsoever. IOW, something one wouldn't be surprised being used to feed prisoners.

If it was bland, it wasn't done right. The best I've had has been at a KCBS-sanctioned cook-off. Properly smoked, it shouldn't even need sauce, although if you have a really good sauce, I'll eat it. Of course, the brisket also shouldn't be gray.

• Love 6

I've never cooked a brisket myself, but I used to know a lady who would make the best brisket.  I think all she did was put some BBQ sauce and maybe liquid smoke on the meat, wrap it tightly in foil and cook it slowly in the oven.  It would fall apart when she opened the foil.  I would like to try making one, but I never seem to find the right cut of meat in the store when I'm thinking about cooking one.

I do brisket two ways - one BBQ style*, and the My Mother's Brisket recipe - and it can be frickin' delicious when treated with respect, patience, and TLC.  Give brisket another chance.**

*Pat the brisket dry with paper towels or a towel you don't care about.  Make a rub - salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, thyme, garlic powder, or whatever is barbequey to you - and pat it onto the brisket.  Spray slow cooker dish with spray fat.  Put down a layer of sliced onion to cover the bottom of the dish. Put the brisket on the onions; pour some beer, red wine, or water down the side of the dish (so as not to wash all the rub off of the brisket). Not too much - just a little liquid, you want the meat to steam more than swim - but enough so that it won't evaporate over 6-8 hours (unless you'll be home and can check on it periodically and add liquid if needed).  Put the slow cooker on low and let it go 6-8 hours. Or 10 if you want. When meat is tender, take it out and pull it apart with two forks. It may break apart as you remove it from the slow cooker, and that's okay.  Serve it with your favorite BBQ sauce, whether homemade or store bought. 

**Strictly my opinion. Your are of course under no obligation to actually do so.

• Love 3

I had my very first fish taco this weekend.  Absolutely loved it but for some reason, it's not a dish I see a lot of in my area so I probably won't be having another anytime soon.

• Love 4

I LOVE fish tacos. We went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday that we'd never been to before. I got the fish tacos and they were terrible. Won't be going back there again. Bobby Flay has an amazing recipe that puts a rub of a ton of spices on mahi mahi and is grilled for fish tacos. I need to make that again soon.

• Love 1

I had shrimp tacos at the PGA Championship on Friday. They were really good. Of course the company, I  invited an old friend from college to take my other free ticket, probably made the food seem better. 

• Love 1
On 2016-08-01 at 0:00 PM, Qoass said:

I had my very first fish taco this weekend.  Absolutely loved it but for some reason, it's not a dish I see a lot of in my area so I probably won't be having another anytime soon.

Grilled or fried/Baja style?  I like both kinds, though I tend to gravitate to grilled - typically a bit healthier (depending on the toppings, of course!!).  Don't do shrimp much.  I pretty much only eat shrimp if it's in fried rice.

Tacos are regular meals. We have street tacos as much as any other food available. But I bet you all have some foods we never see or at least see regularly. Can you clue us in on what we can get in your town and not in L.A.? Love regional foods.

Grilled or fried/Baja style?

Uh... I dunno.  Grilled, I think?  There was no breading.  It had red onions and lettuce and I added a schmear of guac and sour cream.  It was from a catering company visiting New England from (old) England so I question its authenticity in any case but I thought it was delicious.

14 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I had Swedish Fish flavored Oreos today and they were good

Heard about these. That ^^^ was not the response I expected. 

They kind of scare me.

Edited by NewDigs
Spelling? Typo?

I think the frosting would be better on a golden Oreo wafer than the chocolate. It would be keen crumbled in a blizzard/mc flurry or a yoghurt. 

Also that article linked has the price wrong. They are exclusively sold at Kroger and their sister stores and right now all Oreos flavors are $1.25 a box not $5 each wtf. 

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:47 AM, Blergh said:

S'mores with dark chocolate instead of Hershey's. Anyone who thinks one MUST make that treat with that particular brand of chocolate has NO idea how to REALLY live. LOL

anyone who puts "hersheys" and "chocolate" in the same sentence... ;)

sorry, America, but your most popular chocolate brand tastes like soap...

signed: chocolate snob raised in Europe

lol

• Love 4

Meijer's had a new selection of fall baking mixes on display and I bought Betty Crocker's (I think, the one with the red spoon logo) Apple Cider cupcake mix.  I cannot recommend it; it was overly sweet, IMO, and I don't think anyone would guess what flavor it is supposed to be, if you didn't tell them.  They also had a chai flavor, vanilla I think, cupcake mix.  Maybe I should have gone with that.

I bought a Krusteaz Cinnamon Roll Mix that was labeled as new, but I haven't tried it yet.  I don't think I have ever bought a Krusteaz mix that I have been disappointed in.

I really like Famous Dave's cornbread mix with some fresh blueberries mixed in.

• Love 1

I consider M & Ms over-the-counter chocolate, as opposed to prescription chocolate.  But sometimes you just want the cheap stuff, and M & Ms are my go-to.   They're perfect for eating while driving.

• Love 3

I bought a Krusteaz Cinnamon Roll Mix that was labeled as new, but I haven't tried it yet.  I don't think I have ever bought a Krusteaz mix that I have been disappointed in.

Let us know how they turn out.  I've only tried the Krusteaz Lemon Bar mix, but I thought it was really good.  My sister likes their Pecan Pie bar mix, but I haven't found it around here (she's had problems finding it sometimes).

On 8/18/2016 at 1:23 PM, vavera4ka said:

anyone who puts "hersheys" and "chocolate" in the same sentence... ;)

sorry, America, but your most popular chocolate brand tastes like soap...

signed: chocolate snob raised in Europe

lol

Well, I can't eat most European chocolates..too strong/bitter.  Only Euro milk chocolates are ok for me.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, I can't eat most European chocolates..too strong/bitter.  Only Euro milk chocolates are ok for me.  

Hershey's that's mostly used in s'mores and kisses claims to be milk... so i'm comparing milk to milk...

and Milka or Lindt are far superior...

I do like Ghirardelli, which is an American brand too. That's even more puzzling though, there IS good American made chocolate, but it's a lot less popular... I guess price is a factor :)

though my friends came up (or "stole" lol) with a great idea how to substitute chocolate in s'mores. I know chocolate square is supposed to melt  but in my experience it never did, so texture wise it was very confusing and inconvenient.

One day they just used cookies with once side dipped in chocolate instead of graham crackers and Hershey square. And  I finally understood the goodness of s'mores lol

• Love 1

Ha ^ that won't let me put my reply to you. Ritter Sport and Kinder have some good milky smooth chocolates that still taste of that quality you find in Germany. You can get them in the us at the euro section of certain grocery and inexpensive. 

• Love 1

I just read that the new Hershey Kisses flavor is Birthday Cake which is white with sprinkles.  Has white with sprinkles become the official birthday cake because of that Pillsbury cake and frosting combo?  Because that would be low on my list of preferred cake flavors for my birthday.  Then again, I'm not five. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Qoass said:

Because that would be low on my list of preferred cake flavors for my birthday.  Then again, I'm not five. 

I completely agree with this. The whole "birthday cake" flavor thing has been bugging me for some time because to me, classic "birthday cake" is yellow cake with chocolate icing. 

• Love 2