Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I love Rao's pasta sauce! I got my first jars from Amazon, but lately found it at Target for a better price. Although I just looked and Amazon has a bunch of different flavors I might have to try.

I found that my cheapest source is Walmart. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I found that my cheapest source is Walmart. 

Thanks! I'll check it out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone tried a Torta Caprese?

I saw Giada make one and I'm kinda obsessed with it but I have a very fraught relationship with chocolate so I'm not sure I want to commit the time to one. 

If you've tried it please let me know what the texture is like!

Share this post


Link to post

~shudder~ A friend was talking about how much she & a relative loved caramelized onion hummus (made and sold by Wegmans). It sounded good so I bought it. Egads...it was awful. OTT sweet mixed into hummus. What was I thinking? 

Share this post


Link to post

I tried a Burger King Impossible burger tonight. I say tried because I tried to eat it but was so disgusted by it, I only managed 2 bites.

  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

~shudder~ A friend was talking about how much she & a relative loved caramelized onion hummus (made and sold by Wegmans). It sounded good so I bought it. Egads...it was awful. OTT sweet mixed into hummus. What was I thinking? 

I didn't think that was awful, but I wouldn't buy it again. On the other hand, I could bathe in the Wegmans cilantro jalapeno hummus it's so good.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/14/2019 at 1:12 AM, GaT said:

I tried a Burger King Impossible burger tonight. I say tried because I tried to eat it but was so disgusted by it, I only managed 2 bites.

I have loved the Impossible burger when I've had it at bar/grill establishments.  I haven't had the BK one, but wondering if it's different in some way? I would imagine that cost-wise, it would have to be?

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, larapu2000 said:

I have loved the Impossible burger when I've had it at bar/grill establishments.  I haven't had the BK one, but wondering if it's different in some way? I would imagine that cost-wise, it would have to be?

It could be, but honestly, after the BK one, I don't see myself trying one anywhere again.

Edited by GaT
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Almond Breeze Yogurt. My grocery store offered it as a freebie om their loyalty card. It was okay - vanilla with almonds and some other crunchy bits to stir in. If I was lactose intolerant, I might be okay with it, but I've tasted other non-dairy yogurts that were better.

Share this post


Link to post

I tried SoDelicious non-dairy yogurt in blueberry (had a coupon). It's coconut milk based. I do not like coconut, but didn't taste any coconut flavor. For a non-dairy yogurt, it was much better than the Almond Breeze

Share this post


Link to post

This is probably really unhelpful to anyone who doesn't live in the Sacramento area, but I just wanted to post about my love of The Nugget's Thai Sesame Salad Dressing. It's the first commercial salad dressing that I've liked in over six years I think. Soy Vay used to have a Chinese Chicken salad dressing that was very good, but as far as I can tell they discontinued it. I don't have a recipe for The Nugget's dressing, but if I ever find one, I'll make sure to post it here.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, piccadilly83 said:

This is probably really unhelpful to anyone who doesn't live in the Sacramento area, but I just wanted to post about my love of The Nugget's Thai Sesame Salad Dressing. It's the first commercial salad dressing that I've liked in over six years I think. Soy Vay used to have a Chinese Chicken salad dressing that was very good, but as far as I can tell they discontinued it. I don't have a recipe for The Nugget's dressing, but if I ever find one, I'll make sure to post it here.

Here you go: 

https://www.nuggetmarket.com/recipes/305/thai-peanut-dressing/

Oops it is peanut, not sesame, but that should be an easy substitute.

Edited by Gramto6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Here you go: 

https://www.nuggetmarket.com/recipes/305/thai-peanut-dressing/

Oops it is peanut, not sesame, but that should be an easy substitute.

Yes, that is peanut thai dressing. I actually don't think it's an easy substitute. The peanut thai dressing linked above has peanut butter in its base.  The Thai Sesame Dressing definitely does not have any peanut butter, nor any tahini, which is the only thing I can think of that would come close to peanut butter. You know what, when I get the chance, I'll go and check the ingredient list and then post it here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My grocery store gave me an electronic coupon for a free Duncan Hines single serving cake - I got Chips A'Hoy flavor. Add water and microwave. It wasn't bad, and was even better when I put some Breyers vanilla ice cream on it. I was craving something sweet and had no cookies or candy in the house, so it hit the spot. Not sure what it costs but it might be worth an emergency supply of something sweet. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My grocery store gave me an electronic coupon for a free Duncan Hines single serving cake - I got Chips A'Hoy flavor. Add water and microwave. It wasn't bad, and was even better when I put some Breyers vanilla ice cream on it. I was craving something sweet and had no cookies or candy in the house, so it hit the spot. Not sure what it costs but it might be worth an emergency supply of something sweet. 

There are tips online that suggest ways to make the mug cakes taste better. One is to use milk instead of water as the required liquid. 

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My grocery store gave me an electronic coupon for a free Duncan Hines single serving cake - I got Chips A'Hoy flavor. Add water and microwave. It wasn't bad, and was even better when I put some Breyers vanilla ice cream on it. I was craving something sweet and had no cookies or candy in the house, so it hit the spot. Not sure what it costs but it might be worth an emergency supply of something sweet. 

Thanks for the reminder!  I "clipped" that coupon, then totally forgot about it.  I still have another week...I'll try to remember to go pick one up. 

Share this post


Link to post

I decided to try Ghirardelli's chocolate brownie mix that gets microwaved in a mug. If you really love chocolate, this is for you. It was too much for me, but with equal parts vanilla ice cream it was okay. My husband loved it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I decided to try Ghirardelli's chocolate brownie mix that gets microwaved in a mug. If you really love chocolate, this is for you. It was too much for me, but with equal parts vanilla ice cream it was okay. My husband loved it.

I've tried those.  The flavor's great, but I found the texture to be more like a cake than a brownie.  I'm not complaining, mind you, I just have to remind myself to expect "cake".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The flavor's great, but I found the texture to be more like a cake than a brownie.

Just underbake them. That's what I do, and the end result is very fudgy and not cakey at all.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Just underbake them. That's what I do, and the end result is very fudgy and not cakey at all.

Oooh, good idea!  I'll try that the next time I get them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Just underbake them. That's what I do, and the end result is very fudgy and not cakey at all.

My husband did this today - 55 seconds instead of 65. He said it was much better. Thanks for the tip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/18/2019 at 6:34 PM, piccadilly83 said:
On 9/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, Gramto6 said:

Here you go: 

https://www.nuggetmarket.com/recipes/305/thai-peanut-dressing/

Oops it is peanut, not sesame, but that should be an easy substitute.

Yes, that is peanut thai dressing. I actually don't think it's an easy substitute. The peanut thai dressing linked above has peanut butter in its base.  The Thai Sesame Dressing definitely does not have any peanut butter, nor any tahini, which is the only thing I can think of that would come close to peanut butter. You know what, when I get the chance, I'll go and check the ingredient list and then post it here.

So I finally checked the ingredients for this dressing. If you can't read the label in the photo the ingredients are sesame oil, canola oil and olive oil, soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, tahini, cilantro, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper.

The two recipes do appear to be similar. The only difference I can see are the tahini in place of the peanut butter, and the use of sesame oil. Hopefully the proportions of the ingredients are the same as well. 

Thank you, GRAMTO6.

IMG_2495.JPG

Edited by piccadilly83
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sprite Winter Spiced Cranberry isn't too bad.  It doesn't taste much like cranberry.  It does seem less sweet which I think is a plus.  Normally I don't like Sprite because it is too sweet for my taste.  I still prefer Canada Dry Cranberry Ginger Ale, which I think is fantastic.

Edited by icemiser69

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...