Type keyword(s) to search

Eve Baird: Guardian

I was a little surprised that her stunt fighting needed work, but I guess Mystique's fighting style was a lot less punchy.  I'm also a little surprised -- but pleased -- that she's a stealth comic.  She landed some of the more memorable lines in the pilot without trying too hard, which would be easy to do.

"Ninjas, possibly?"

"In Oklahoma?"

"That's what I said!"

Looking forward to her and Christian playing off each other.

• Love 1

LOL @ DeLurker.  I am not a huge fan of the actress OR the character at this point.  I will admit, she got some awesome lines in the episodes I have seen thus far.  Her stunt fighting skills leave a lot to be desired.  Hopefully, the character will grow on me.

It seems from the other threads that the show was rushed to broadcast. So, it's fair that RR didn't have time to get back into a physical role. 

Whether she's being directed to, or it's her acting choice, I thought she's supposed to kind of be the odd one out because she's the guardian, and they're librarians. It seemed in E3, she was finally getting around to the point to utilize each of the others' skills rather than fighting or shooting their way out of everything. 

RR is an odd choice to cast as guardian - but I'll give them this, the pantsuits do a decent job of concealing she's still got a knockout body plus they put her in sensible shoes (a peeve I have with many women LEOs).  And the one scene I saw where her upper arms were exposed, she had some nice definition going on.  I'm not sure she's ever going to be mistaken for Dame Judi Dench or Helen Mirren, but given the relative bouyancy of The Librarians, she doesn't need to be.

If she starts to relax a bit and the writers get a better handle on her character (they seem to be intent on beating us over the head that she is SERIOUS person and was raised to be so), I think she'll be fine.  Of course, the female Librarian is pretty much a cookie cutter version of various smart females from a variety of shows so Baird is practically an endangered species by comparison. 

Oh wait - beautiful, capable, serious, probably repressed - never mind.  Seen her before.

• Love 1

I like her a whole lot. She makes a good contrast to the red-headed babbling little genius girl Cassandra, a type which way too many sci-fi shows have these days and which I've been so very over since Holly ate up the last episodes of Eureka. Baird reminds me of a more physical yet no less smart Myka from Warehouse 13, plus it's nice to have a mature woman in an active role in the main cast.

• Love 2
She makes a good contrast to the red-headed babbling little genius girl Cassandra, a type which way too many sci-fi shows have these days and which I've been so very over since Holly ate up the last episodes of Eureka.

Because regular smart girls don't exist, don't you know? You have to have neuroses if you're smart *and* female. Except for the 15+ perfectly normal engineering PhD women that I'm friends with including the hip chick that taught me python. But that obviously doesn't count. 

Holly was arguably the worst character on modern genre television over the last decade easily. 

• Love 4

I hope they don't write Baird the typical "I have a high powered job so no time for relationships/bad at relationships/typical awkward". I don't want any of the cast to ship, but I think it would be a funny turn on the Bonanza trope where Baird hooks up fairly regularly with no hang ups, but they all end up dying. 

• Love 1

RR and Noah Wyle have NO chemistry.

eh, they work for me.  Took awhile last season for me to warm up to them being together, but I was on board by the finale.  It seemed like from the get go they were pushed together for no other reason than Flynn needed a warm body after years without getting any and to follow the trend of him sleeping with all his guardians.  I think a lot of the hesitation for me was we knew very little about Eve as a character in S1 and from the get go they were making googley eyes at each other. 

I think Rebecca Romaijn has settled nicely into her role on the show now and she seems more relaxed which I think makes Eve and Flynn seem more natural in there interactions.  They've now been bumped up to being one of my favorite aspects of the show.

• Love 4

Sorry, should have said in my opinion, they have no chemistry.

She has settled into the role better this season, though. I still kind of like THIS series better when Flynn just makes an occasional walk-through. Maybe I still haven't forgiven Noah for the last 3 seasons of Falling Skies??

Aw, I kind of like them together. I'm not sure how much of this I got from the show and how much is fanwanking, but my idea about Baird is that generally she only ever spends any time with people she works with and people she works for, and it's nice for her to have someone with an alternative non-competitive skillset who isn't threatened by her to hang out with.

• Love 1

I don't think she's a very good actress (even though I generally like her) and while her performances are getting better as time goes along (marginally), whatever chemistry that WAS there between her and NW (whom I don't care for generally) is gone. MORIARTY, on the other hand …

The "Stop fangirling all over the arch-villain" had me howling. And then I realized something was there. I'm a natural-born 'shipper, but I would rather have no 'ship than a bad 'ship. I was on the fence. The chemistry between her and Moriarty (especially after he pointed out that Prospero has him over a barrel) was there, but I was pleasantly surprised at the chemistry between her and Moriarty. It was also a sweet chemistry.

Edited by Mojeaux
  • Love 3

I just found this show and have been binge watching through the middle of Season 2. I particularly like Baird - probably my favorite character. I also like her better with the trio of Librarians - and with Jenkins - than I do with Flynn. The Flynn character annoys me because he is so over the top. I think that the actress does a good job of showing her concern for the trio. 

• Love 1

Baird is awesome.  She is my favorite character on the show.  I am sooooo not a shipper but I don't hate her with Flynn,   I do see what the show is trying to say about the Librarian/Guardian relationship.   I am actually curious now about the hints about Bairds impending death and how Charlene fits into everything.  I want some real Baird/Charlene scenes now.  Must have!!!!!

• Love 1