Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

I liked the dance. It was simple and charming. Apparently it was the most well received scene at the premiere and it's easy to guess why. It's cartoon Disney come alive which is all this show should strive for. Any loftier goals and their pea-sized imagination will probably shrivel up and die. And yet A&E seemed surprised by this lol.

The dresss is horrible though. It's like an adult sized pageant dress for a 4 year old.

The hook thing is weird now. He will never be jacket free will he? I supposed that's good for the winter.

Given where and when they shoot this show, I think jackets are pretty much a necessity anyway. I can't recall any characters getting about in T-shirts, except in Neverland. 

The dresss is horrible though. It's like an adult sized pageant dress for a 4 year old.

Yeah, I think I'd have found the scene less on the nose if they'd gone more for an homage than an exact recreation. A more muted shade of blue, a less ’90s Disney dress.

Edited by retrograde

I never look at any of them and think "damn, they must be freezing!"

I definitely did in the polar vortex episode last season when it suddenly started snowing and poor Hook still had half his shirt undone. I'm sure all the actors were freezing, but especially him.

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but this seemed like maybe the best place, since something might be considered a vague spoiler.

A friend of mine also watched the premiere ep. He had seen a few eps in Season 1 but hadn't kept up with the show, so his reactions of trying to figure out what was going on amused me. It was difficult explaining things, because once you get past "Fairy-tale characters in our world," it gets hella convoluted. He was really confused by some things, but unexpectedly on-point about others. A few of his comments:

"Are all the dwarves there? ... Grumpy seems to be a scene-stealer."
"Why is Belle with Rumplestiltskin? There's a Belle but no Beast? Wait a minute, he's the Beast, too?"
"Hook's the one you like, right? And that's the guy dressed like a pirate chasing after the main girl?" (Me: "Yes, Captain Hook is the guy dressed like a PIRATE.")
"So the Mirror is also a guy?"
"And that other guy was Robin Hood? ::sighs:: I've really lost the thread of this show."

• Love 3

Hook's hook really does look silly in that jacket.

What are they trying to accomplish with the new jacket? He's got the same rings, same facial hair, some colors, same hook, etc. It's like they can't decide whether they want a new look or not. All that pirate stuff looks ridiculous with that little jacket. 

• Love 2

Shooting today:

Well, it was clear it was an Arendelle location. Elizabeth Mitchell was there, and three others, including Sally Pressman. The others we don’t know who exactly they are. But one of them plays most likely The Duke of Weselton! The other looked like it was Anna and Elsa’s mother, but we’re not sure.

So, we know we have three sisters, and today we have the Snow Queen, possibly Anna/Elsa's mom, and the other daughter they put out a casting call for (Sally Pressman). So I'm thinking the Snow Queen is indeed Elsa's aunt, as some had speculated.

Edited by Souris

Count me in with the totally unimpressive dance sequence. The room looked stark, characterless and cold, Belle is insipid, and why in Goddesses name can't they put women in flattering bodices that don't press their boobs into potato pancakes? Carlyle is his own unique beast and putting him in that costume just seemed trite and goofy. Snapping his fingers like that was oddly dorky. Not romantic at all. Not being a super duper slurp slurp Disney fanatic, some of the (apparently unavoidable) cornier elements of Disneyesque Homage make me cringe anyway. While the little spots of wit are quite clever, this wasn't clever. Rumplestiltskin was NOT the beast. He was A beast, but putting him in that ridiculously non-Rumple costume was...ick. Taking him totally out of his unique element. And Beauty and the Beast remains one of my favorite modern-ish Disney cartoons so it pains me to make that comparison.

And I hate to say it, really I do, but I am also not impressed with the new Hook jacket, either. Unimaginative for a man as flamboyant as Hook is. (Colin is a slight-ish guy and he needs a bit of bulk to seem fuller-bodied). We don't, obviously, know more than the Gold-Hook spoiler pics without dialogue of what goes down with his hand being here one minute, bloodied from punching out Will, then gone back to the hook again the next, so I will give them a lot of slack about that plot point. It could make a lot of sense in context. But honestly, unless he is "pretending" to have the hook on in the spoiler video of the lamp post scene, his arm is about eight inches longer and looks...tacky. Give him his hand, and while we are at it give him a ship.

I read the complete spoiler and besides feeling like Robin Hood is a TOTAL moron by giving "his" Marion (the woman he would have gone to hell and back to be with) a "second hand* woman pass off in the name of husband-like honor...while professing that he does love Regina...(You can choke on it Robin, your ARE a douche.)...I am looking forward to all the mysteries and mayhem. I like that they are promising a very angsty ride for Emma and Hook, I like that Elsa and Emma will possibly be kindred Queens of feminine strength. I like that Henry will be getting more involved. I dunno what to think of Mary Margaret and David. Having a baby really changes things. And not always for the better of a character's interesting moments.

Regina, whose snarky bite and dances with darkness always entertain me, is flailing character-wise until we see where this is all going. They opened their own kind of Pandoras Box when they created this impossible romantic disaster scenario and I doubted then that they would get out of it unscathed. It is no win, unless they make Marion a flaming harridan, and if they attempt that...well, let's just continue to say NO WIN in sight.

• Love 5

I want to clarify that contrary to some previous spoilers, Robin doesn't actually full-out say he loves Regina. He says that his feelings for her are real. I think the "love" is perhaps implied, and certainly some viewers from the premiere event translated it that way, but the word is not actually said.

• Love 1
But one of them plays most likely The Duke of Weselton!

Oh man -- I totally understand why they didn't hire/consider most of the Frozen voice actors for OuaT, but I so wish they could have actually cast Alan Tudyk for this. Especially now Suburgatory is gone.

(Meanwhile, these same fans who seem to show up to shooting locations every day: who are they? Do they all work nights? Do they live at home? Do the actors get sick of seeing them over and over?)

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 1

Re: the dance. Why did they have to give Belle a new ugly gown, when the "original" one was so pretty, and it was even what she was wearing when they met? And Carlyle cannot pull off fancy clothing while in non-crocodile makeup. But, that dance wasn't one of the worse Rumbelle scene (even though I can't with Emilie's line delivery in some of the parts of that scene)

Georgina looks so great in orange. Can they switch Elsa's dress?? 

• Love 1

I suspect that they've gone more literal with the Disney for the premiere due to the expected influx of Frozen fans.  This way no new viewers will be going "why isn't Belle with the Beast?"  

I don't ship Rumbelle, but I liked the lead up to the dance more than I expected.  But the actual dance itself made me cringe.  So flat, so dorky. I had second hand embarrassment. 

• Love 2

I feel like I'm always whining, but I thought a costume change for Hook would be nice.  Actually I thought they'd go with a variance of a long coat and more modern looking shirts/vests, maybe keep the leather pants but seriously, while I think the new jacket is sort of nice looking, I find myself really missing the old costume.  And now just that, Hook has one hand, how does he work the zippers?  I was hoping for something along the lines of the Prince Charles costume but more adapted to the World without Magic type thing.

And the left arm looks way too long now and it looks silly and I find myself hoping that it looks like that because it's between takes and Colin is just relaxing his arm or something.

I feel like I'm always whining, but I thought a costume change for Hook would be nice.  Actually I thought they'd go with a variance of a long coat and more modern looking shirts/vests, maybe keep the leather pants but seriously, while I think the new jacket is sort of nice looking, I find myself really missing the old costume.  And now just that, Hook has one hand, how does he work the zippers?  I was hoping for something along the lines of the Prince Charles costume but more adapted to the World without Magic type thing.

And the left arm looks way too long now and it looks silly and I find myself hoping that it looks like that because it's between takes and Colin is just relaxing his arm or something.

When they are filming and the hook is in scene Colin usually keeps his arm bent and holds it back to compensate for the length we are probably seeing non filming pics or out of camera angles.

The spoiler about the Emma/Regina episode made me realize something.  Y'all know it's gonna end up with Emma thanking Regina for cursing her and destroying her life because without it, she wouldn't have Henry, right?  And I will be burning something in effigy. 

• Love 3

The spoiler about the Emma/Regina episode made me realize something.  Y'all know it's gonna end up with Emma thanking Regina for cursing her and destroying her life because without it, she wouldn't have Henry, right?  And I will be burning something in effigy. 

Bite your tongue. I almost had a stroke when Red basically said the curse was a good thing in S2. God, I'm gonna bill Adam and Eddy for my blood pressure medication.

We always talk about Regina being a Special Snowflake, but my god, if Emma ends up claiming that everything shitty in her life was worth it because of Henry... 

• Love 2

• Hook will do anything, good or bab, to make his relationship with Emma work. But also he has to decide if "he can find a place for Emma within his heart when she's so busy trying to save the world" which ??? I'm betting this ends up a "one day I'm going to stop chasing this woman" thing, otherwise it's too stupid.

MM will be mayor (implied)

Emma will "prove her friendship" to the woman that ruined her life (I'm guessing your iPad is crashing from the sheer stupidity of this sentence)

Usual OQ, Charmings being parents, Will Scarlett, and Charming's friendship stuff.

Rumple will be in huge trouble (with Belle, implied, I think) in episodes 10 and 11.

The rest are things we've already heard.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 6

And I hate to say it, really I do, but I am also not impressed with the new Hook jacket, either. Unimaginative for a man as flamboyant as Hook is.

I feel like I'm always whining, but I thought a costume change for Hook would be nice. Actually I thought they'd go with a variance of a long coat and more modern looking shirts/vests, maybe keep the leather pants but seriously, while I think the new jacket is sort of nice looking, I find myself really missing the old costume. And now just that, Hook has one hand, how does he work the zippers? I was hoping for something along the lines of the Prince Charles costume but more adapted to the World without Magic type thing.

Hook's new look, which O'Donoghue likens to "a '70s rockstar," still maintains "an element of who he is, even though he's trying to fit into this world. It's his idea of what it would be like."

Well, I think that kind of clears up why Hook's new outfit is the way it is - it's his character's 200-year-old take on what a modern outfit should look like. I can definitely see the subtle hints of him wanting to keep his old look (the necklace, vest, leather pants, and black leather jacket are still there), but it's mixed in with what he sees everyday in Storybrooke (more fitted clothing, Emma's unique details on her leather jackets, waist-length jackets, and button-up collared shirts). It's not what I imagined they'd choose for his new outfit, but I can definitely see why Hook would choose those items of clothing if he's trying to fit in with everyone else.

• Love 5

From the article linked above:

" In doing so, Hook — who will "do whatever it takes, good or bad" to maintain their romance — will be forced to decide whether "he can find a place for Emma within his heart when she's so busy trying to save the world," O'Donoghue adds.

I thought she was already in his heart, and the question here was if she could find a place in her heart for him. But I guess they are rewriting everything they show in season 3 to add more angst there.

How does Emma cope with the guilt of causing Regina's unhappiness?

Well, it's complicated. "Emma can't apologize for saving a life, but it's not her plan to mess up Regina's true love," Morrison says. "She's trying to toe the line. She's trying to prove that she truly is Regina's friend and that she truly wants what's best for her, but also protect Marian." Juggling a vengeful Regina won't be an easy task for Emma and that becomes an ongoing season-four thread. "Ultimately, Emma is trying to keep Regina in a good place in her life. She's worked so hard and come so far from her villainous mindset that it would be tragic, in Emma's eyes [if she returned to that] because she's become Emma's friend," Morrison says. "[Emma]'s going to spend time fighting to prove her friendship and fighting to keep Regina in a good place."

This is just so ridiculous that I don't know where to start. Emma and Regina are friends? Since when? Because I can't remember a single time where they have acted like friends in the show. And, really, with everything that Regina has done to Emma and her family , the idea of them being friends is utterly ridiculous. Civil for the sake of Henry, yes. But friends? I knew A&E were going to mess with Emma's character, but this has been fast. The season hasn't even started and I already dislike her.

• Love 6

As much as I enjoy Hook (and Colin), I'm so sick of hearing about Hook and Emma's romance. I don't ever watch movies or tv shows and get excited over "ships". I just want to see a good story and some fun and action. The love stuff bores me. That goes for Regina/Robin too. I can only tolerate The Charmings.

I'm looking forward to the Frozen stuff.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 3

We could see the seeds of the weakening of Emma's character, but for her to actually go the Snow, Jr. route is really too much for me to continue with.  I was already almost out of patience at the end of last season with the ridiculous, meaningless Charming sacrifice of his heart/Snow sharing his heart, Regina's white magic, Snow apologizing for brattiness, Zelena garbage, etc. etc. but held out some hope. From the spoilers and sneak peeks I've seen, it just doesn't look good.  And since I am not a big shipper at all, what is there besides Frozen?  Which I saw and liked okay but didn't initially think much of this huge marketing ploy.  Now it does seem like the only thing that offers a glimmer of possible interest, especially as to how the Snow Queen fits in. 

Regina has repeatedly put Emma down, even when they were working together--she insulted her vocation, her parents, etc.. Emma too only tolerared her for Henry's sake, and has called her a monster. Where did this sudden friendship come from? I might as well resign myself that S4 is going to continue Regina deification. I wish I could quit you, OUAT! Or at least, go back to watching the Show with less immersion. :-p

• Love 5

Who here predicted that Robert would be dropping some big, unauthorized spoiler? Yup.

I think that's showing restraint for him. He could've given us some finale tidbits. I also have a feeling what he's really saying is that nothing happens till the ending episodes, like usual.

Frozen?  Which I saw and liked okay but didn't initially think much of this huge marketing ploy.  Now it does seem like the only thing that offers a glimmer of possible interest, especially as to how the Snow Queen fits in.

I'm really liking Georgina as Elsa and can't wait to see EM. I'm really glad they're only here for 9? episodes now. Cause gawd forbid A&E ruin them at the altar of St. Woegina too.

Edited by Jean
  • Love 1
Well, I think that kind of clears up why Hook's new outfit is the way it is - it's his character's 200-year-old take on what a modern outfit should look like.

That makes total sense now that I think about it. This isn't a curse-given outfit or a magical makeover. It's Hook, who's new to our world, putting together an outfit that he thinks will fit in better in Storybrooke, based on what he can find in Storybrooke, which isn't exactly a fashion-forward shopping mecca, and on what he's seen other people wearing. So naturally he'd be wearing a jacket a lot like Emma and David wear if he's trying to fit in. And he'd be taking baby steps in moving away from his old look, keeping a bit of a comfort zone. If the costume people are thinking, they may gradually migrate his look away from full-on "modern pirate" as he gets a better sense of self, but this show is bad about picking a signature style and sticking with it. Right now, he just knows what he doesn't want to be and doesn't yet know what he wants to be, so it would be hard for him to pick something really drastically different.

In a way, this outfit is similar to the situation on Sleepy Hollow, when Crane needed new clothes, tried something modern, hated it, and found Revolutionary War re-enactors to buy replica outfits from, only without the Revolutionary War (or in Hook's case, Napoleonic Wars) re-enactors handy. Instead, he's piecing together almost as close as he can get to his old clothes from what he can find in our world.

• Love 3

I think what Colin is implying with his quote is that we may see Hook waver a bit. He can only give so much when the person he's giving it to would rather chase bad guys than him. But we see that in the first episode so I'm actually not surprised by that. I think unlike Robert, Colin is good about being shifty and not giving too much away, which is why his quote will be a moot point by episode 3 when Hook just full-on kisses Emma.

• Love 3
" In doing so, Hook — who will "do whatever it takes, good or bad" to maintain their romance — will be forced to decide whether "he can find a place for Emma within his heart when she's so busy trying to save the world," O'Donoghue adds.

I thought she was already in his heart, and the question here was if she could find a place in her heart for him. But I guess they are rewriting everything they show in season 3 to add more angst there.

I thought it sort of makes sense from the very little we know about the new season.  In the first episode, he is already telling her about how she needs to live even when there's a crisis which is something everyone in Storybrooke seems to be doing, except for Emma and it sort of ties in with David's moments speech before Pan's curse.  Emma moves from one crisis to the other because I think her life has always been like this at the end of the day and old habits die hard.

Also sounds like MM will be accepting of whatever is going on with those two.

Episode 9 is being written by J. Espenson, yes?

• Love 2

Yeah--I think it would be nice to have Hook pull away from always giving 1000% at some point. A little bit of distancing may be what's needed for Emma to realize that she needs to do some investing if she wants the relationship to work out. It would be nice if Snow is one to help Emma processes all this relationship stuff.

• Love 4

Episode 9 is being written by J. Espenson, yes?

Oh right. So they are giving Rumple back to her if that's the episode when the things start going down for him. Ok I know I know, she sucked at the Woegina episodes but it's gotta be hard trying to write someone else's fanfiction for them.

• Love 2
Regina has repeatedly put Emma down, even when they were working together--she insulted her vocation, her parents, etc.. Emma too only tolerared her for Henry's sake, and has called her a monster. Where did this sudden friendship come from?

Replying in the Relationships thread.

Wait a minute...maybe not. Looks like if you threaten to go all evil, Emma will work extra hard to try to be your friend. Maybe Hook should kidnap somebody and make them his slave if he wants to move this romance along. If he threatened to murder a puppy, maybe she'll propose. Or does that just work for Regina?

I'm on the fence about Emma helping Regina out. On one side, it's just the nice thing to do after you accidentally break up a relationship, but on the other, it can get dangerously close to coddling evil fast. We'll have to see what happens this season.

You know, I'm all for focusing on character arcs, but I'm not too excited about the destinations they're planning to take them to. From the recap, it seems this season's arcs will be moving pretty fast. (Regina saved Marian's life, Robin chose Marian, Rumple switched the daggers, etc.) Hopefully any annoying angst won't last long.

I am liking the Frozen stuff. I won't cry if we get a spinoff series.

Edited by KingOfHearts

My guess re: the Colin/Hook comment is that Hook is going to be paralleling Kristoff.

Kristoff is trying to transition from his own life to being consort for Anna.  Hook is trying to find a place in Emma's life.

Plus, from what I gather, Anna is off trying to save Elsa while Kristoff was left behind.  Similarly Hook is somewhat less than the focus for Emma who is off saving the world and/or Regina from herself.

I expect angst and I expect Hook to screw up (the 'willing to do something good -- or bad' seems to imply that).  I also expect Emma to ignore Hook perhaps one time to many and this leading to some form of accident/angst/separation, possibly to be carried over into the second half of the season. Though with Frozen- winter-heavy story and the mini-season ending mid-season, I wonder whether they can resist having a happy Christmas episode.  

Meanwhile, these same fans who seem to show up to shooting locations every day: who are they? Do they all work nights?

Aren't a lot of them teenagers? yvrshoots and some of the paps attend some of the filmings, but that is there job. Filming notices go up (or get delivered) a couple of days beforehand so they can plan their schedules. The teenagers just show up when school is out at 2:30/3 pm (seems they spend the morning setting up shots and filming starts around 2 pm). School in Vancouver didn't start until September 20th, so the teenagers had a lot of free time on their hands.

Eh? Find a place? She's already built a condo in his heart...if not a 12 bedroom mansion. That dude has it bad. He may want to try to evict her if it becomes clear that she doesn't want to reciprocate because at some point, one must move on if it is a hopeless case. 

He will also have to learn that doing bad to maintain the romance will surely kill it with Emma (she's not Belle). She may forgive him for his past deeds, but Emma is unlikely to tolerate on-going ones.

She's trying to prove that she truly is Regina's friend and that she truly wants what's best for her, but also protect Marian."

Wait a minute...maybe not. Looks like if you threaten to go all evil, Emma will work extra hard to try to be your friend. Maybe Hook should kidnap somebody and make them his slave if he wants to move this romance along. If he threatened to murder a puppy, maybe she'll propose. Or does that just work for Regina?

• Love 10

Well I finally saw the rumbelle . 

I'm sorry but the epic rumbelle romance is not really working for me. I like better rumple and Belle character when they are separate. Maybe it is because of the Relationship itself ( so many problems) but honestly Robert and Emily together have for me a irk factor that I just cannot totally ignore. Robert is a great actor and I want to know about is sl this year but as romantic lead he is not really working for me here. 

• Love 4

Episode 8 title: "Smash the Mirror"

Hook — who will "do whatever it takes, good or bad" to maintain their romance

I've been thinking about this (anything so I don't have to work), and I think that spoiler about Hook and Rumple being at odds again, and Hook recovering his hand and loosing it again is related to this, to him doing anything, even bad things to be with Emma.

Edited by RadioGirl27

With the talk about Will having a connection with someone from S1, that's got to be Maleficent, right? It seems likely that 4A will just feature him in a few scenes involving Robin Hood and maybe Marian as well, while 4B will have him more integrated with the main cast.

Episode 8, "Smash the Mirror" may be the start of the Frozen heart plot with EM's Snow Queen. If Belle discovers Rumple's deception only in episode 9, then they may not be involved in the Kai/Gerda plot. S4B would deal with resolving the Rumbelle angst.

Edited by Rumsy4

With the talk about Will having a connection with someone frim S1, that's got to be Maleficent, right? It seems likely that 4A will just feature him in a few scenes involving Robin Hood and maybe Marian as well, while 4B will have him more integrated with the main cast.

Cinderella? Anastasia is supposed to be one of Cinderella's stepsisters and the actress playing her was seen the other day in Vancouver.

Episode 8, "Smash the Mirror" may be the start of the Frozen heart plot with EM's Snow Queen. If Belle discovers Rumple's deception only in episode 9, then they may not be involved in the Kai/Gerda plot. S4B would deal with resolving the Rumbelle angst.

If they do the Kai/Gerda plot, I hope it's with Hook/Emma, but please no with Regina/Robin or Rumple/Belle. I would even tolerate it with Snowing (even if it would be a repetition of Snow drinking the potion to forget Charming) or Anna/Kristoff. Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 4

So if they go the road of Kai/Gerda, I wonder if it won't be something that would carry over the 4B. 

That would make the show more organic, and the flow between the half-seasons would be smoother, but the writers will probably resolve the Kai/Gerda arc with some random a deux ex machina or a True Love's Kiss by the half-season finale. They would rather move on to their next plaything for 4B.

Cinderella? Anastasia is supposed to be one of Cinderella's stepsisters and the actress playing her was seen the other day in Vancuver.

Ohh... good point. Hmm.... does that mean Anastasia will make an appearance in 4B as well?

Ohh... good point. Hmm.... does that mean Anastasia will make an appearance in 4B as well?

I sure hope so, I really liked her. The Knave isn't complete without her. YMMV.

So if they go the road of Kai/Gerda, I wonder if it won't be something that would carry over the 4B.

I doubt it. I'm thinking it would be more along the lines of the kiss curse in 3B or Panry in 3A - a latter half angst that resolves itself by the end of the stretch. The only thing I've heard that's going to continue into 4B is Regina's arc (Adam said so on his twitter*) and the Knave's stuff.

*https://twitter.com/AdamHorowitzLA/status/515158724013346816

Edited by KingOfHearts

I am liking the Frozen stuff. I won't cry if we get a spinoff series.

This needs to happen. And I hope Hook, Emma and Rumple gets moved to this new series. Permanently.  Anyone else can come along except for the 2 biggest twits, the character killer and Henry.

• Love 2

Geez. First Breaking Glass now Smash the Mirror. Sidney is getting all kinds of torture this season! ;)

Welp there we go the Kai/Gerda storyline. Now who is gonna get it.

Will it be Hook/Emma or Robin/Regina. I tend to go towards Robin/Regina because Robin understands Regina so this will turn him against her.

Hook meanwhile is likely gonna get frozen and Emma will have to thaw his frozen heart with true love.

With respect to the Kai/Gerda plot, I loved that aspect of the Snow Queen fairy tale.  As a little girl I thought it was fantastic that the girl got to be the hero and save the boy -- it was such a counter to all the other fairy tales where the girl was the damsel in distress and had to be rescued by the prince.  But much as I wish they would do it on Once -- and got my hopes up that they would when I heard they'd cast a Snow Queen -- I don't think they will.  There have been so many spoilers and so many leaks that I think somebody, somewhere would have mentioned it.  There'd be no reason not to, I don't think.    

Edited by fourteenwords