Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The Pontiac Bandit Returns

• Start Topic

"The Pontiac Bandit," aka Doug Judy, is back in custody, after jamming up Jake and Rosa in his previous encounter with them. But when Rosa discovers that Judy knows the whereabouts of the "Giggle Pig" drug leader, Capt. Holt offers the perp a plea deal to help track down the drug kingpin. Meanwhile, Gina and Boyle are nervous that their parents might be getting too close, and Santiago makes Holt a Christmas gift against his wishes.

Well it won't be food. Amy's cooking could probably make Holt's dream of a tasteless beige smoothie the dream of everyone.

We know Amy has posterboard, a badge maker, a label maker and probably all manner of other handicraft things at home. The sky is the limit for her.

"Take a good look kids, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU'RE NAUGHTY!" That was such a great capper.

"Presents is like old person third base."

"No, that's rubbing their butts together."

Gonna say this again, but Stephen Root and Sandra Bernhard as Boyle and Gina's parents was genius casting.

It's totally like Amy to love doing collages. I loved her saying "More work!" without a hint of sarcasm.

Man it was weird to see Rosa smile. Even she knew it.

• Love 4

Gonna say this again, but Stephen Root and Sandra Bernhard as Boyle and Gina's parents was genius casting.

Aren't they, though? They're the sort of A+ casting of guest-star-parents that almost never actually happens. And this particular plot actually made Gina bearable company (for me). A terrific episode all around.

Rosa smiling uncontrollably at the end was great, because we know she'll be back to normal tomorrow, but for right now.. she feels really really good and she should show it.

This is such a smart series. They spun out the Gigglepig drug task force just the right length of time. Over in an episode, and it would seem inconsequential; take a whole season and it would feel overstretched. But to let it more or less mark the half-season (though we have another next week after all) is perfect -- leaves us feeling good for them, and coincides nicely with the Yuletide celebration for the squad. Well done.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 6

Pairing Gina with Boyle for the majority of the season has done wonders for her character. I like her tons when she's interacting with Boyle when otherwise, I tolerate her at best.

I laughed SO HARD at Amy's silent "Whaaaaaaaat" that she threw at Terry. Holy crap, that was funny.

• Love 5

Awesome episode last night.

Loved Jake's Santa "naughty" line as mentioned above.

Loved Charles mimicking Gina's nasal voice.

"I will not peruse."

"Ouch, that was hard to watch" when Captain said he hated brown nosers.

Doug Judy was freaking hilarious, as was Darth Thunderstone.

And loved the ending scene with Jake and Diaz. She was so happy. :)

• Love 2

I love Doug Judy. "Onion ring attack!" I think it was clear to everyone that he would escape again, so I was eagerly anticipating how he'd do it. It's strange to root for the criminal.

So great that Peralta had ordered Caesar salad with tater tots instead of croutons.

But once again Holt was the highlight. 

Jake: This guy's a huckster. He's a lie guy.
Holt: Peralta has got a point. You have been a lie guy to us before.

Holt: I will look at the relevant pages, but as for the rest… I will not peruse.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5

Loved Doug Judy, him singing "Peaches &Herb", I remember them. And him and Jake in the robes, such morons.

Not sure if it was Sully who asked if the holiday party was 7 to 9 in the am or pm. Holt telling him he would let him figure that out, loved it.

• Love 2

I didn't see a spark between Rosa and Doug, I just think Rosa by herself is fireworks.

She and Holt both have this deadpan way about them, and I love that a show can have two people with that characteristic, without making the characters seem similar at all.

I can't get past Gina's voice. No matter what she does, her voice annoys me so much that it trumps anything else in hr scenes, and it's getting worse. I used to kind of tolerate her. But now I just despise her and can't stand having her on screen, even when I think the writing's good-- and even the facial gags this week were theoretically funny to me. But I just can't get over her affected vocal tone.

• Love 1

This was not one of my favorite episodes, though I can't quite put my finger on why.

Amy was, as usual for me, a delight, but the Pontiac Bandit stuff fell a little flat. Admittedly, I'm getting over the flu, but....

Terry: Maybe next year you could do a collage of low points in his marriage.

Amy: I know you're being sarcastic, Sarge, but I really do love making collages.

Edited by bethy
  • Love 3

Fun seeing Doug Judy again, but I figured it was going to end with him escaping, so that certainly wasn't surprising.  But, like with the first Pontiac Bandit episode, I liked how this focused more on Jake/Rosa again.  That pair continues to be one of the biggest surprises of the show, and I like the friendship and trust the two of them had.  Rosa putting up with Doug and even playing along was great.  As was Jake letting Doug go, because he knew it was more important to catch the Gigge Pig leader (casting note: he was played by one of the Cartel twins who attacked Hank in Breaking Bad!)  And, that final scene.  Rosa with a big, genuine grin is always amazing to behold.

I continue to tolerate Gina better, when she's with Boyle.  I guess her type of character just plays of his type better for some reason.  I enjoyed their hi-jinks, and the return of the parents.  As mentioned several times above, that really was some great casting.  Stephen Root and Sandra Bernhard are just perfect in the roles.

Oh, Amy.  She would try and find a loophole like that, in order to get Holt a Christmas gift.  I hope the scrapbook doesn't get thrown away, because I want to see what other articles and pictures she found of Old-School Holt.  Terry's reactions to everything was also great; loved his "What the hell?!" look when Amy called him a snitch.  It was just so random.  I want more Terry/Amy!  Hot, of course, continue to be awesome.  "I will not peruse."

Scully and Hitchcock both had great throwaway gags.  I liked that Holt is at the point where he's not even going to bother correcting Scully, and just let him figure that out for himself.

• Love 3
just can't get over her affected vocal tone.

While I am not saying her voice isn't affected many times she reminds me of two of my friends who were born and raised in Oakland/Berkeley like Chelsea, so I love Gina!

Loved seeing Doug Judy AKA the Pontiac Bandit return.

I liked that Amy tried to explain her excitement for working on the weekend wasn't sarcastic and both Holt and Terry both said they didn't think that "not for a second".

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

This was a great episode. I love that we are getting more Rosa. She is my favorite and I love the actresses delivery of her lines. Her stating that she was pregnant when they were meeting the drug dealers was priceless. Doug & Jake were hilarious together. I thought it was so smart on the part of the writers to have the captain be thrilled that the mistake was found. Usually on comedy shows when a character of power is told they are wrong they get upset. I have to say Terry is a great character because whoever he is partnered with it never seems awkward, wrong and there is always chemistry. The cast on this show is pitch perfect. 

• Love 1

I continue to tolerate Gina better, when she's with Boyle.  I guess her type of character just plays of his type better for some reason.  I enjoyed their hi-jinks, and the return of the parents.  As mentioned several times above, that really was some great casting.  Stephen Root and Sandra Bernhard are just perfect in the roles.

I still maintain that it's only a matter of (a relatively short period of) time until Gina and Boyle are Bone Buddies again. For as much trepidation as there was about that impending storyline at the end of season 1, I think they're pulling it off pretty damn masterfully, and I agree with you that Gina is at her best when she and Boyle are interacting. I think sooner rather than later, Gina is gonna "cave" and suggest that they revisit play time. Probably about 5 seconds after their parents are no longer dating... but honestly? I'd kinda prefer if it happens while they're still dating, because the "shouldn't... but can't resist!" awkwardness would be through the roof and it would affect Boyle as well as Gina. 

• Love 2

Holt and Terry continue to remain my MVPs.

Gina is more tolerable with Boyle than anyone else but could she please STOP SLAPPING HIM??? It's not funny, it's assault.

Craig Robinson is always awesome IMO so realizing he was in the episode was a welcome surprise. :D

A return of one of my favourite B99 injokes - perps playing along with the cops' shenanigans. Loved Doug Judy waving to the kids when Jake told them to "take a good look". 

Doug Judy himself is so much fun as a character. He does seem to actually like Jake, and Rosa too of course. One of the things I like about this show is that it never resorts to cliché regarding evil criminals, just to get a bit of drama. The criminals are often as enjoyable as the cops. And Jake being such a baby about him cutting a deal, while everyone ignored him, was just as much fun.

But, of course, Jake is powerless to resist Judy wanting to be buds, so they end up in robes, eating lobster together and coming up with cover stories. And Rosa is the perfect straight woman for their nonsense. Glad Judy got away, because he's such a great, non-threatening nemesis for Jake.

And I liked the Jake/Rosa scenes in the episode. Rosa getting the big win and being unable to stop smiling, Jake actually coming through on first try, rather than having to blow it and then redeem himself (development on previous episodes, which is great to see). 

Loved the flashback to Holt rumbling Amy's clever plan to give him a gift. The show always uses flashbacks so well.

"Sarge, I'm freaking out about my gift that's technically not a gift."

"Somehow, that doesn't surprise me."

Never were truer words spoken, Terry. Amy's default setting regarding Holt is 'freaking out'. And also, "I know you're being sarcastic, Sarge, but I really do love making collages" was just adorable. Loved her delighted little smile at the thought of more work. She's the best.

I made it until Gina slapped Boyle the first time, then decided to just skip any scenes she appeared in. Boyle makes her no more tolerable, for me, she's just as awful as she always is.

• Love 4
Loved Doug Judy, him singing "Peaches &Herb", I remember them. And him and Jake in the robes, such morons.

I literally said "Oh god they're so stupid" - however - I was laughing my ass off as I said it.

So many things to laugh at in this one.

To make a perfect show even perfecter, I'd rather Terry have more plots focused completely on him rather than being that Side-Guardian type character who assists the cops in what they're doing or listens to their B.S.  But I understand the show is trying to even things out between all the best characters.  I guess he's like my Tom from Parks and Rec.

I saw a spark between Peralta and Rosa at the end, but she cut the tension with a joke.  I thought it was getting so sexual for a moment there.  Sorry guys.  I saw what I saw.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I literally said "Oh god they're so stupid" - however - I was laughing my ass off as I said it.

My favorite part was Rosa making an "Oh god they're so stupid" comment in her head.  Her eyes were rolled so far back, I think she could see behind her.

===================================================

Is Doug Judy s bit of a riff on Judge Judy?

I think it has to be. "Doug" is phonetically close to "Judge".  The fact that they've never mentioned it (would Jake really pass up that opportunity) nails it for me.

I thought it was intended to evoke Judge Judy too, but I'd say it's even smaller than a riff -- more like a quick echo-in-passing with no real point to it, and not intended to get a laugh. I guess it just adds to the sparkle of a comedic scene to have one more silly element in it when we hear its name. Or so it seems to me.

• Love 2

I've always a bit remiss about watching this show.  I never got to start it but I started playing catch up about midway through S1. Liked it right away. Samberg is so funny!

This episode has to be THE most funny ep ever. Every actor hit every nuance of their character perfectly. This show needs to be talked about more in the public because it just is perfection.

I love this show. Now I have to try to see if I can find the first Pontiac Bandit ep. Craig Robinson is slowly becoming one of my favorite actors. He is even great in those Verizon (?) commercials with his "nephew". 

• Love 1