Type keyword(s) to search

Let's Talk About SNL! Complaints, Bothers, (even what we didn't hate) and More!

• Start Topic

I have no idea where to put this so I'll just put it here. Somebody put up, about 9 years ago, an audition they did for the show in 2007. It's an interesting look at a complete audition. I'm half-surprised that it's been kept up all these years. 

• Love 1
(edited)

This guy seems to be a popular Youtuber.

At first I wasn't going to watch this because I figured it would just be the "the show has sucked since _____ " (I saw a recent video where someone complained about the current show and then said their favorite period was the Chris Farley era, even though everything they said about the current show was on steroids when Chris Farley was in the spotlight) but he goes into more depth. 

I don't disagree with all his criticisms; I definitely agree that the cast is being misused, and that Beck and Kyle are very talented (moreso their film pieces, although Beck all-around is the type of player that the people who did the show in the late '80s probably would have killed for)  although I don't agree that Mikey Day and Alex Moffat are treated as the two main stars. I also think that the show does want to get a reaction out of a Trump. And I share his praise for John Mulaney's work on the show, as well as how wonderful the female cast is. I think it's missing someone like Vanessa Bayer (or an Ana Gasteyer type) but it's still in very good shape, especially if they properly use Melissa, Heidi, and Ego as the longtime cast members begin to go.

However, I think that the complaints about the Trump material being too "mean" mostly fall into right-wing framing. The main difference is his reaction - they are no harder on him than they were on, say, Sarah Palin. They likely would have taken a much lighter look at Trump if he hadn't been who he has been, but his reactions make the material seem harder than it really is. SNL used to be much more savage in earlier years, even when the President in question didn't have a bad relationship with them - the way they went after Gerald Ford, and some of the Clinton material; I was never much of a Clinton fan, but I was still bewildered when I was watching live back in '93 or so and saw the COPS spoof where the cops came out because Hillary was beating him. 

I also don't know if I agree with the idea that comedy with an agenda isn't comedy. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3
(edited)

I've loved Drew Gooden since his Vine days and have enjoyed following his career since Vine shut down and he made the jump to YouTube. I too was worried when I first saw the new video that it would just be straight bashing (the title is kinda click-baity but YouTube is his fulltime job so gotta get those views somehow), but I thought he approached it in a fair and balanced way and agree with his overall thesis: this show has been on for 44 years. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's terrible, sometimes it's just ok. Right now is not one of the best eras, but it's not a total wash.

I do disagree with him that Kyle--Kyle--is the funniest current cast member. Drew. Hon. You're funnier than he is. Though anybody who's watched his Vines can definitely see a Good Neighbor-esque influence.

I also don't totally get what he was trying to say about the political material, but overall I think he was coming at it from an honest place and as an actual fan. He's done a couple other comedy analysis videos though his main bread and butter are commentary videos. He's got one on this made-for-tv Christmas movie that I watch at least once a month, it is perfection.

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

I do disagree with him that Kyle--Kyle--is the funniest current cast member. Drew. Hon. You're funnier than he is. Though anybody who's watched his Vines can definitely see a Good Neighbor-esque influence.

If you had to rate the current cast on who you find funniest (or best), how would you rank them? 

17 minutes ago, lou ann b said:

Funniest? Kenan.His reactions and responses. I always laugh.

Mikey and Alex next.

I agree. Kenan is hilarious, but Alex and Mikey are my favorites right now. They are both extraordinarily talented.

• Love 2

Reading the complaints recently of another ex-cast member who didn't make it beyond one season as a featured player, made me think what an extremely tricky thing it is being on a show like SNL. You're forced to be extremely competitive most of the time but also supportive and generous the rest. Chris Rock said SNL was like the "X-Men school for comedians" but it's really the Avengers! In order to really succeed, you have to be both a team player AND a star. You have to have enough charisma to be the center of a sketch but still be able just play the unfunny straight role in others. This comes naturally for some people but requires hard work and patience from others. There have been a lot of stand up comedians who excelled on the show and also a number who haven't. Same with people who came from improv groups. The comedians who make it don't just say funny things but also can get laughs saying unfunny things. Those who come from improv that make it not only can disappear into any role but also become unforgettable to an audience.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

Every time I watch one of these behind the scenes features I get stressed out! The pressure and speed and hard work that goes into everything in just a week always amazes me! I remember a while back when there started to be more than 1 film pieces there were complaints how "easy" and "lazy" it was they were doing less live but holy crap, there is nothing "lazy" or "easy" about putting these things together. The round-the-clock effort and work by so many people is impressive and pays off. The shorts always looks fantastic and the production value they manage puts some other shows or theatrical films to shame.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

This was meant to be an unpopular opinions thread but it was merged...

My unpopular opinion (one, anyway).

I know Colin Quinn was not a very popular Update anchor, but I thought he had a certain charm. I think I mostly enjoyed seeing him stumble over jokes (most of the time WU jokes aren't all that funny anyway) and then talk back to the audience for not responding. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2
On 4/22/2019 at 10:29 PM, Pete Martell said:

I know Colin Quinn was not a very popular Update anchor, but I thought he had a certain charm. I think I mostly enjoyed seeing him stumble over jokes (most of the time WU jokes aren't all that funny anyway) and then talk back to the audience for not responding. 

Yeah, I liked Colin. He wasn't smooth and polished but he had personality. I think people were more upset that Norm MacDonald was fired and not by Lorne but by Don Ohlmeyer the NBC exec who didn't like him making jokes about his pal OJ Simpson. I know Norm's an acquired taste but that was shady what happened to him.

• Love 4
(edited)

From the Season 44 Thread--

1 HOUR AGO, PETE MARTELL SAID:

I didn't care for most of the political material, but then I have disliked most political material on SNL since about 1993, give or take a few sketches. I also feel like that era started the whole "put a woman in drag to make Trump mad," routine which always seemed unintentionally sexist to me. 

I just respectfully agree to disagree about the writing and sketches that season (Season 42 w/head writers Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider), especially Melissa McCarthy as Spicey. I will concede that probably started the whole trend of celebrity guest stars doing political impressions, though.  

Edited by vb68
(edited)

Fred Armisen Reminisces on the Camaraderie and Competition at Saturday Night Live:

This has been a subject that's fascinated since reading Tom Shales Oral History of SNL. That the environment is both highly competitive contrasted with the feeling of belonging that happens when you're around people who are on the same wavelength as you.

Also that in order to make it on SNL you need to hook up with a writer you can collaborate with. You can's survive on your own. People think of Eddie Murphy was an instant star by himself but he had Joe Piscopo to partner and found writers like Barry W. Blaustein and David Sheffield to write for him.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/14/2019 at 5:32 PM, Pete Martell said:

Now that Sarah Huckabee Sanders has finally gone back to wherever she was when I was lucky enough to have never heard of her, Vulture put together all the sketches with Aidy Bryant in the role.

Aidy's SHS impression never caught on like McCarthy's Sean Spicer or McKinnon's Kellyanne Conway, but I thought she had a great take on the character and her bulldozer approach to lying. I thought the "Confident" music video was the funniest articulation of that take:

"History is a bottle of moments filled with time and horses and the invention of the telephone. If you don't like that, you've gotta take it up with Father Time."

"Well, hang on, now, cuz it's riddle time, y'all."

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 2

Just read the 2014 updated edition of Tom Shales LIVE FROM NEW YORK" oral history. I read the original 2002 book years ago, Here's what being at SNL felt like according to the first edition covering 1975-2002:

giphy.gif

Here's wha SNL apparently feels like from 2003-2014 reading the new edition:

source.gif

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

You hear a few hints of conflict or tension with more recent casts (Taran Killam and I think Luke Null have mentioned as such, and Noel Wells seems to have hated the experience) but overall it does seem much more harmonious in recent years. I often wish I could see that closeness onscreen as it rarely comes through. I guess the small size of the late '80s cast helped them fake the closeness better, even if backstage there was lots of unhappiness and dislike. Reading about all of that kind of ruined my memories of that era, sadly. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

ou hear a few hints of conflict or tension with more recent casts (Taran Killam and I think Luke Null have mentioned as such, and Noel Wells seems to have hated the experience)

Well, to be fair, somebody who only lasted one season will indeed most likely have an ax to grind.  But Taran and Jay Pharoah, yeah.  I don't know that we've heard the full story of why Taran ended up leaving.  Yeah, Yeah he was directing some movie. Right.  I felt like there was tension there after he was named in press as being their Trump, but then essentially lost it without ever really getting to do it.  I do think he took it personally.

1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

but overall it does seem much more harmonious in recent years. I often wish I could see that closeness onscreen as it rarely comes through.

I guess I disagree somewhat. I feel like I do see it. That's one reason I'm going to miss Leslie.  Her appearances on Update always worked because of her closeness with Colin. And then with Kyle in their videos.  ( I was just watching Leslie's U.E.S. video that someone linked here. The friendship with Kate seems pretty genuine, too.)

Colin and Che are obviously very close to and protective of Pete. Beck and Kyle, obviously.  Kate and Aidy with Fats and Dyke among others. I feel like Kenan has really taken Chris Redd under his wing.  Mikey and Alex work so well together, etc. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I guess I disagree somewhat. I feel like I do see it. That's one reason I'm going to miss Leslie.  Her appearances on Update always worked because of her closeness with Colin. And then with Kyle in their videos.  ( I was just watching Leslie's U.E.S. video that someone linked here. The friendship with Kate seems pretty genuine, too.)

Colin and Che are obviously very close to and protective of Pete. Beck and Kyle, obviously.  Kate and Aidy with Fats and Dyke among others. I feel like Kenan has really taken Chris Redd under his wing.  Mikey and Alex work so well together, etc. 

I think you can see glimpses, I just mean with a large cast I feel like it's more difficult to get through.

• Love 2

-- Moving this from the Cast Discussion thread.

--------------------------------------------------------

43 MINUTES AGO, PETE MARTELL SAID:

I also think it's time to start easing Lorne out of the show, to be honest. This was all completely unnecessary.  

Oooh boy, that's dicey and should probably be it's own topic. Not saying it's wrong to think about, but it raises a lot of questions. Does anybody have the muscle to actually force him out? Lorne has a lifetime of personal chits, and I doubt very much he goes easy until he decides it's time himself. In any fight, most of the people with any longevity or clout (Tina, Fallon, Seth, Will Ferrell, Kenan, etc.) will all back him 100% guaranteed. And who takes over? What's the plan? 

Again the discussions need to take place, but I don't think they are there yet.  I'm assuming everybody's looking Forward to season 50 (for all that's worth PR-wise) and then Network and Lorne might assess where they are at that point. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, vb68 said:

-- Moving this from the Cast Discussion thread.

--------------------------------------------------------

43 MINUTES AGO, PETE MARTELL SAID:

Oooh boy, that's dicey and should probably be it's own topic. Not saying it's wrong to think about, but it raises a lot of questions. Does anybody have the muscle to actually force him out? Lorne has a lifetime of personal chits, and I doubt very much he goes easy until he decides it's time himself. In any fight, most of the people with any longevity or clout (Tina, Fallon, Seth, Will Ferrell, Kenan, etc.) will all back him 100% guaranteed. And who takes over? What's the plan? 

Again the discussions need to take place, but I don't think they are there yet.  I'm assuming everybody's looking Forward to season 50 (for all that's worth PR-wise) and then Network and Lorne might assess where they are at that point. 

If there's a noticeable ratings decline or if they have more incidents like this, I think it will happen sooner. Otherwise I imagine it will be within several more years, with Lorne's choice taking more and more of the reins. I imagine NBC has the power to force him out if they want to, but it would probably be a huge headache, especially as he produces a number of their shows.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

If there's a noticeable ratings decline or if they have more incidents like this, I think it will happen sooner. Otherwise I imagine it will be within several more years, with Lorne's choice taking more and more of the reins. I imagine NBC has the power to force him out if they want to, but it would probably be a huge headache, especially as he produces a number of their shows.

I agree with all of that!

• Love 1

Y'know I used to be very critical of the way Lorne did things, but if you list people that have become enormously successful on the show, not just performers but writers it's astonishing. The fact is not everyone hired is going to make it, but the ones who do, make it BIG.

First of all,mentioning "Season 50! Yikes.but...not that far away,considering I began high school a month before snl began and I just had my 40th class reunion..yikes. Anyway,Lorne is pretty smart in many respects. He knew it was time to go after the first five years. Knew when to take hold again.I think he will know when it's time. I still say Kenan would be a great heir to the job...the Rolling Stone article was evidence that he is loved and respected by everyone at SNL.

50!! Hand me my walker,kids!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lou ann b said:

Lorne is pretty smart in many respects. He knew it was time to go after the first five years. Knew when to take hold again.I think he will know when it's time. I still say Kenan would be a great heir to the job...the Rolling Stone article was evidence that he is loved and respected by everyone at SNL.

One hopes that they have at least thought about the succession plan. I'm not sure whether Kenan's talent is the kind that lends itself to running the whole shebang -- Tina and Seth are both more experienced with real leadership positions. 

I have to assume that somebody at NBC has a shortlist. Not to be morbid about it but whether or not Lorne decides to leave anytime soon, he is going to die some day. I'd like to hope the show doesn't necessarily have to die with him.

Tina has always seemed like the logical choice to me. Not only was she a former head writer, but she has showrunning experience too. Also, given how much else Lorne has his hands in, it would also likely leave enough room for her to pursue other projects if she wanted. 

• Love 3

I don't know if this belongs in this thread or would be better somewhere else, but has anyone read Live From New York? Did the reprint just add new chapters or did it edit and update the old chapters too? Do you think there'll be a 50th anniversary edition of the book? I was a casual viewer a few years ago and I liked reading about the history and drama behind the show and the casting stuff from this weekend made me miss it.

6 hours ago, VelvetDreaming said:

I don't know if this belongs in this thread or would be better somewhere else, but has anyone read Live From New York? Did the reprint just add new chapters or did it edit and update the old chapters too? Do you think there'll be a 50th anniversary edition of the book? I was a casual viewer a few years ago and I liked reading about the history and drama behind the show and the casting stuff from this weekend made me miss it.

I read the 1986 book, which was unauthorized and which apparently some of the cast were upset by. I didn't ever read the Live from New York - I was going to try, but I saw the part about how many of the late '80s cast, my favorite cast, hated each other, and I just didn't have the heart to finish the rest. 

I'm not sure how truthful all the contents are, but Jay Mohr also wrote a book about his two seasons on the show. 

6 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I have to assume that somebody at NBC has a shortlist. Not to be morbid about it but whether or not Lorne decides to leave anytime soon, he is going to die some day. I'd like to hope the show doesn't necessarily have to die with him.

Tina has always seemed like the logical choice to me. Not only was she a former head writer, but she has showrunning experience too. Also, given how much else Lorne has his hands in, it would also likely leave enough room for her to pursue other projects if she wanted. 

I've wondered about Tina, but she recently said she was glad to not be a part of the show in today's climate, in regards to politics, so I wonder if she'd want to go back. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
On 9/17/2019 at 9:58 PM, VelvetDreaming said:

I don't know if this belongs in this thread or would be better somewhere else, but has anyone read Live From New York? Did the reprint just add new chapters or did it edit and update the old chapters too?

I read both versions of the book. I highly recommend it if you are a fan of the show.  it's well worth the read. From what I remember, the newer version may have edited down some of the older chapters to add the new material. It's hard to recall after you've read both versions. They kinda blend together. But if you are more interested in the earlier eras of the show, maybe read the first edition of the book.

Nothing at this point will ever change how I feel about the late '80s cast. That will forever be my cast. Most of the fighting that I recall now was between the women, particularly Jan and Victoria Jackson. And I'm definitely on Jan's side of that. Victoria was a loon and has apparently only gotten more so. The relationship between Jan and Nora is more nuanced and complicated. I think as Nora's relationship with the show soured, her relationship with Jan did as well.  Alas. But they were great together. And Nora wrote a truly lovely tribute when Jan died.  Oh yeah, Dennis Miller. He fell out too.  And always an ax to grind. But I don't think there was any more fighting in that cast than in any other era.  I will always love that cast without any qualification.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:34 PM, helenamonster said:

Same here. There have been whispers about Tina eventually taking over for several years now. In fact, one rumor was that an ulterior motive of letting her do some live 30 Rock episodes from the 8H stage was so she could get her feet wet running a live show.  So that would make sense to me if she Lorne's chosen pick down the road.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:17 AM, Pete Martell said:

I've wondered about Tina, but she recently said she was glad to not be a part of the show in today's climate, in regards to politics, so I wonder if she'd want to go back. 

She still makes regular appearances on the show, at least once a year, in addition to being one of the more regular hosts. So I wouldn't read too much into that. She may feel the show is leaning too heavily into politics right now, but I don't see her cutting the cord at all.  If Lorne goes to her and says he wants her to take over, I think she would have a very hard time saying no.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5

Bees, I consider the very first sketch where Michael O'Donough OR What ever his Name is and John Belushi were he was learning English and he would do what ever he did and then He had the Heart attack and John Belushi acted like he had AHeart Attack ! Isn't That Improvising ?

Hey A B Snow. First of all, I am sorry if I did not get your name right. I think the problem was Kristen Wiig and she was in 2005 or maybe 2010. Some people may not liked the Cheer Leaders, but I think the Music Teachers were all right and I think maybe the Dog Lovers ! ! The Dog Lovers were Molly and Will. All Eras had Recurring Characters. Also, I thought every body loved Matt Foley . Maybe, people might not have cared for The Gap Girls or Opera Man.

Helenamonster, I Think that another possible reason why the Head Writer does Week End Update is that IT Gives them some thing else to do. Seth wasn't doing that much in Sketches, but they did not think he should just be A Writer so They put him on Week End Update. Tina wasn't that comfortable being in Sketches so He decided to put her on Week End Update. Also, I think Tina may have had some things to say about what was Happening in the News and she could do That IF She was on Week End Update. Lorne helps people like making Darrel Hammond be the Announcer after Don Pardo passed away. Lorne decided to have Fred be the Band Leader on Seth's Late Night.  That Is how Seth And Jimmy Got Late Night And The Tonight Show ! !

Hello Milburn Stone. IF you are not talking about Kristen Wiig, then, who are you talking about ? I don't know any body that was up for an Oscar except Eddie Murphy !

Hello Bees. I think that the Sketches  are not very funny on SNL like the apple farm and Tim and Harvey with the Syringe of novocaine is a funnier Sketch ! They are laughing at Tim Conway and not just Kate and Aidy looking at each other !

Moved this from media. My reply to @heatherchandler 

I think SNL needs improvements (I think they have for a long time, but those changes, like vastly improving the direction and tightening up the writing, never seem to happen), but the show has an odd relationship with ratings and quality. For instance, the late '80s are my favorite years - a terrific cast, sharp writing, many memorable hosts - but apparently the ratings weren't great, which is why Lorne booked Andrew Dice Clay. The late '00s and early '10s are now looked back on by many as a golden age, but at the time, other than the period when Tina Fey played Sarah Palin, the ratings weren't that good - they got so bad around the mid '10s (I think poor Bill Hader hosted one of the lowest rated episodes ever) that you had Lorne stunt-casting Lindsay Lohan when she was completely beyond any ability to perform, and finally Trump hosting.  For that reason I can see why Lorne keeps stunt-casting, but I feel like these decisions alienate potential viewers in the long-term, especially the younger viewers that SNL will need to try to attract, if possible. 

I wasn't criticizing the Debbie Downer sketch, mostly just using it as an example. 

On 4/27/2019 at 9:49 AM, JZL said:

If Lorne Michaels had any balls they'd have Rammstein on next.

I think if Lorne had on Rammstein there is a good chance we would all see some balls.

I don't know where else to put this, but after the ad hoc Christmas show tonight with everyone out, and Tina Fey showing up at the last minute, I'm more convinced than ever that she'll eventually step into Lorne's shoes whenever that time comes.  (And Lorne has already publicly said he wants the show to continue.  And I don't doubt that he would personally ask her if it actually came down to that.) 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

Someone really needs to re edit the Christmas special, it’s the same one every year and they need to take out some of the duds (Consumer Probe, *cough*) and plug in some gems, like Eddie Murphy as an elf, or the Macy’s commercial. There’s so much more great stuff, guys.

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Someone really needs to re edit the Christmas special, it’s the same one every year and they need to take out some of the duds (Consumer Probe, *cough*) and plug in some gems, like Eddie Murphy as an elf, or the Macy’s commercial. There’s so much more great stuff, guys.

anything with Eddie Murphy would be wonderful

love the mr robertson one!

3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

What? Someone wants to cancel Bag O’Glass?  Not to mention all the other fine Bag O’ products?  How dare you?!

Seriously, that’s one bit that I still get a chuckle out of, after lo these many years. 

But yes, with almost 50 years of material, seems like they could switch things up a little more. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, lovinbob said:

I hated that Kristen Wiig send-off. This show is supposed to be an ensemble, not the homecoming Queen (or king) and their court. IIRC that was the last show for a couple of other major stars (Andy Samberg and Sudeikis, I think?) and the everloving focus on Kristen rubbed me the wrong way. Especially when she danced with Lorne. 

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree.  I like Wiig, but that whole thing will always rub me the wrong way.  I don't know how anyone could find it acceptable when you are so clearly not treating other castmates that way.  It's kind of creepy, honestly.  Lorne acting like a father and Wiig the favourite child.  Euuuuuuughhhhh.

Bringing the conversation over here because YEAH. 100% agree, I was not a fan of Wiig’s send off. It seemed like a slap in the face for Sudekis and Samberg. And I think it’s telling that while Lorne’s hand is on so many former performers’ careers, Samberg’s B99 and Sudekis’ Ted Lasso seem to be completely Lorne-free.

• Love 3
(edited)

Meanwhile Samberg and Lonely Island completely revolutionized the show and made SNL relevant again with their digital shorts.  Remember how big Lazy Sunday was?

Lorne Michaels did produce Hot Rod though.

Although the writers initially worried the studio audience would respond to the short negatively, the short received a positive reception and enjoyed Internet stardom overnight, with multiple bootleg copies surfacing on video-sharing website YouTube, catapulting the awareness of the then-fledgling website.[1] The song and short brought forth positive critical reception, with many hailing it as a revival for the stagnant series. In retrospect, commentators have named "Lazy Sunday" as one of the best Saturday Night Live moments of the 2000s.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
15 hours ago, saoirse said:

Bringing the conversation over here because YEAH. 100% agree, I was not a fan of Wiig’s send off. It seemed like a slap in the face for Sudekis and Samberg. And I think it’s telling that while Lorne’s hand is on so many former performers’ careers, Samberg’s B99 and Sudekis’ Ted Lasso seem to be completely Lorne-free.

Andy was on  Jimmy Kimmel recently with Mulaney and they said Lorne asked them to keep their departures quiet until after the finale. They agreed, then Kristen announced her exit and got a big sendoff. I'm sure Andy and Lorne get on but I do wonder if that's one of the reasons why he has only been back to SNL a few times.  

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Andy was on  Jimmy Kimmel recently with Mulaney and they said Lorne asked them to keep their departures quiet until after the finale.

That's the first time I've heard that. That is very uncool and shady. But it's also super confusing.  I do remember it being out there that Andy was leaving. He brought back Chris Parnell and did the sequel to Lazy Sunday as a final video.  I can't believe this was 10 years ago now.

"That's how it began, and that's how I'mma gonna finish it."

So people definitely knew. And I think that made Kristin's goodbye look worse. I'm not sure what Andy was trying to say. Maybe just that Lorne didn't want him trying to horn in on Kristin's big tribute. I can definitely see that.

Lorne never made any bones about it that Kristin was his favorite. He told everyone who would listen that she was "top three of all time." He and the show (as well as the media) pushed her as first among equals in a way I never saw before with any castmember. I even remember Bill Hader referring to her as "our star."   I'm sure some people probably thought of Will Ferrell the same way, but I never remember it being so out in the open. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, vb68 said:

That's the first time I've heard that. That is very uncool and shady. But it's also super confusing.  I do remember it being out there that Andy was leaving. He brought back Chris Parnell and did the sequel to Lazy Sunday as a final video.  I can't believe this was 10 years ago now.

I think he may have been joking a  bit,  but I do wonder if he did that video after Kristen announced her exit. I couldn't tell if he meant that Lorne wanted everyone to not announce their plans, but Kristen wanted to so did.

• Love 1
On 4/23/2019 at 12:29 AM, Pete Martell said:

Michael Che Also Stumbles Over His Lines ! 

Wow, I just noticed this thread.  Sorry.  Anyway:

• People wishing for the "good ol' days" of Belushi, Eddie, and and the rest need to watch entire shows from the 70s and 80s and not just the "Best Ofs".  The shows back then weren't much better.  The Coneheads weren't funny, and Ed Grimley is one of the lamest characters ever created.
  • I'm still convinced Fred Armisen had pictures of Lorne with dead hookers.  He was the most consistently unfunny performer of the last 20 years and kept getting airtime.  The fact that his audition contained "Fericito the timbale player" tells you all you need to know.
  • Like 1
On 10/28/2022 at 6:23 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

People wishing for the "good ol' days" of Belushi, Eddie, and and the rest need to watch entire shows from the 70s and 80s and not just the "Best Ofs".  The shows back then weren't much better. 

I actually am watching from the very first episode all the way up. I'm in season 7. I'd say the show is remarkably consistent episode to episode. Even in the first cast though, there were some sketches that fell flat. 

• Like 1