Type keyword(s) to search

Aaron Hotchner: High and Tight

• Start Topic

I just saw this photo and then thought of this comment. I normally don't look at pictures of actors/go to their websites/look at other things they're in so maybe I'm just not used to looking at his face as not Hotch but it still looks like there could be a tiny difference. 

He looks good in this picture. I don't like to see him looking so gaunt as he did early in season 7. Last year, especially, he was looking pretty old to me. I know he's been through some rough stuff in his personal life over the past several years. I'm glad to see him looking better. But I have to say I don't like the sideburns he's had since last season. I also wonder if he colors his hair. When you see him with stubble it looks a bit grey, but his hair remains black. Although my maternal grandfather had jet black hair like Thomas and had grey whiskers, so that could be the case for Thomas as well. He is so handsome he just takes my breath away, and that is not an exaggeration. 

• Love 5

TG has that classic movie star thing going, and the man looks amazing in suit and tie. I, for one, think the whole casual thing has gone way too far in the work place. People dress like slobs. I wear skits, dresses and stylish accessories at my workplace, and I'm viewed as if I'm an extra on Mad Men because I'm not in a hoodie and flip flops.

• Love 5

TG has that classic movie star thing going, and the man looks amazing in suit and tie. I, for one, think the whole casual thing has gone way too far in the work place. People dress like slobs. I wear skits, dresses and stylish accessories at my workplace, and I'm viewed as if I'm an extra on Mad Men because I'm not in a hoodie and flip flops.

I agree. Hotch in a suit is second only to Hotch in a shirt, tie, Kevlar and sunglasses. Good grief.

• Love 7

He looks good in this picture. I don't like to see him looking so gaunt as he did early in season 7. Last year, especially, he was looking pretty old to me. I know he's been through some rough stuff in his personal life over the past several years. I'm glad to see him looking better. But I have to say I don't like the sideburns he's had since last season. I also wonder if he colors his hair. When you see him with stubble it looks a bit grey, but his hair remains black. Although my maternal grandfather had jet black hair like Thomas and had grey whiskers, so that could be the case for Thomas as well. He is so handsome he just takes my breath away, and that is not an exaggeration. 

Agree. I think he was too thin in the beginning of season 7, specially the premiere. I don't like it because he looked sick or recovering from somethig and I agree about the sideburns too, it isn't Hotch's style, at least in my opinion.

well, let's not forget TG is older than Hotch, and TG looks his age (I just google that line, I hope I'm using it well). Actually, I think he looks great for his age, but that 5 years we didn't notice until seasons 7-8 (my opinion) are more evident now. My point is I don't care if he looks older while he looks healthy and preferably without cosmetic surgery or treatment. After all, we have to ignore JLH pregnancy until it was so evident it was embarrasing and I don't care either, I mean, they are humans and sometimes pretending we are Mr. Magoo is the price.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 2

I happened upon this four-year-old article today and thought it was interesting. I like the writer's style, and even though the title made me think the article would be derogatory, it's actually not -- the author is a fan. Love what she has to say about Hotch, and I completely concur. Thought maybe y'all might like to check it out. Hotch needs way more love.

The Strange, Sick, Sad Career of Thomas Gibson

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 1

I happened upon this four-year-old article today and thought it was interesting. I like the writer's style, and even though the title made me think the article would be derogatory, it's actually not -- the author is a fan. Love what she has to say about Hotch, and I completely concur. Thought maybe y'all might like to check it out. Hotch needs way more love.

The Strange, Sick, Sad Career of Thomas Gibson

I had read that article time ago and I thought the same. I would take off the sick and sad, but it's definitely strange.

this is only a wild guess of mine, but I think he is content being a successful tv actor even if a film career is always the ultimate challenge. At some point he started to work on tv regularly and he got the chance to stay there making money and reaching certain status.

I think he likes/loves his job and he's a great actor but it's a job at the end of the day and his choices were more practical/financial than artistic.

I don't know under what circumstances he made those decisions but it's his life and his career. Moreover, I love Hotch character and it wouldn't be the same without him.

Finally, the comparison to the Tom Cruise of the 90's, it would be unfair for almost any actor, there are plenty of people who are pretty talented and/or attractive and they couldn't make a career as actors, it's not only a matter of picking right, successful or/and quality projects, but a matter of luck.

as you can see I have plenty of free time right now, actually I come here because I'm trying to find Raising Waylon and there is no way to watch that film online, someone could tell me if it was released on dvd, please?

Edited by smoker
  • Love 1

Smoker, do you have cable? Sometimes Raising Waylon appears on my "on demand" lineup even though it's not showing on a specific channel. It's listed on IMDB as a TV special, so it probably will never be on DVD. There are several of his films that I haven't been able to find anywhere. I search my DVR listings periodically but they never show up. 

As for the article, first of all, I detest Tom Cruise so any comparison between him and Thomas is going to be unfavorable in my opinion. Thomas is so attractive that I wonder if Hollywood wasn't really sure what to do with him when he was younger. I'm sure he tried to be versatile and not just a pretty boy, but it's hard to look at him and not have your breath taken away. I didn't even remember he was on Chicago Hope, even though I watched it. His character was such a jerk that I didn't really remember it. I saw some of it again on cable after CM and was surprised that he hadn't made much of an impression on me then. But switching to Dharma and Greg was definitely the right move. It was much higher profile for him and he was so incredibly gorgeous and lovable. Criminal Minds was a good role for him. I wonder if he may be sick and tired of it now, but it's steady work and a decent paycheck. 

• Love 3

thanks for answering so quickly!

actually I do, but we are not in the same country... I found the channel which showed it and I sent them an email, sadly they aren't showing it any more. So I'm at the mercy of fate here.

I do agree, his firsts jobs were pretty interesting and it's almost as if he didn't find his place, that's when my theory about his tv career starts. Anyway, I got Love and human remains and Dharma and Greg, but the same as you I can't find other films.

I share your opinion about his role in CM too, from the interesting role to the paycheck, I made comments about it not long ago :)

Moreover, that's one of the things more infuriating about this show, they have a great cast and characters (well, they had them), with good chemistry and willing to stay, but instead of working on keep certain quiality they are just wasting resources.

About Tom Cruise, I don't like him as man and I don't like him as an actor, but he was pretty successful for a time, and that's why I said that, however, other actors could be used in this matter, like Mel Gibson, there was a decade more or less where MG turned everything he touched in gold, but if you review his films now, there are only a handful of good/decent films. There are more examples of course, like Dicaprio, Pitt, Julia Roberts... De Niro has been picking checks for 25 years based in the films he did in the begining of his career. Sometimes I just don't understand...

Edited by smoker

Don't tell anyone but I have a copy of Love and Human Remains hiding (from my husband because he'd think I was nuts for buying such a trashy film) in my underwear drawer. Also have Sleep With Me, which I bought just to see him. I got them from some DVD site but it took forever and they're packaged kind of cheaply, so it seems as if they took your order and then made a copy of the film on DVD, like waiting for your burger to be made as ordered. But since you're not in this country, perhaps you need a different format. I'd like to see that TV movie he made with Katherine Heigl but can't find it anywhere.

• Love 2

Ya'll beat me to it, since someone linked me to a TMZ article about it. I'm confused about why neither article really says what started the altercation, only that it was about 'creative differences', which could be anything from dialogue to the color tie Hotch was supposed to wear. I smell the threat of a lawsuit.

• Love 1

Sucks that he resorted to physical violence but after Patinkin left he was my only reason to watch. I only lasted a couple of seasons. So I am glad that I stopped watching this show some time ago.

• Love 2

I admit that I don't like Virgil's attitude and he seems very thin-skinned. But, getting butthurt on social media and whining about fans criticizing one's writing does not mean a person is prone to violence. In fact one key element of MMA fighting is discipline and learning when to strike and when to hold back. They have to be able to control their tempers and many of them save their violence for inside the ring (not all though). Virgil is in to MMA and boxing. I don't know if someone broke the fight up or what, but Thomas is lucky that Virgil didn't decide to get physical. He's also lucky that Virgil didn't press criminal charges.

Maybe Virgil provoked Thomas verbally, but legally that is usually not enough to justify violence. I know people want to think that Thomas only kicked in self-defense. I wish that I could believe that. I want to, but I think that if that were the case, someone would have come forward and Virgil would have been disciplined too (but only if witnesses attested that he was the aggressor). Since he did not get in trouble, I can only assume that they concluded that there was not sufficient provocation and/or Virgil has some powerhouse negotiating skills. Since it seems he was the complainant, the networks wouldn't want to be seen to be punishing the victim for coming forward.

If this had been a one-time first offense, they might have ordered anger management and let it slide. Except, that already happened years ago. He allegedly shoved Ian Woolf and was sent to anger management in 2010 (I suspect that was around the time of 25 to Life). Then there was the DUI (or whatever it got reduced to) and the fact that I think Thomas is still on probation. In the past, actors have gotten away with worse, but now there is much more public scrutiny. The networks have to worry about appearances and avoiding the appearance of impropriety. In recent years, actors have been fired for less. I think they are making an example of Thomas and showing that they will not tolerate that sort of behavior.

It sucks for everyone involved- including the networks. I'm sure it was not a decision that was made lightly. But, I do understand why CBS/ABC made this decision.

And even though I'm not overly fond of Virgil, I really don't think blaming him and lashing out is productive. As far as the networks are concerned, he was the victim here. I'm not a fan of victim blaming and I wasn't there so I don't know what really happened.

As much as I want to see Hotch on the show, realistically, I don't think there is a chance he can be brought back after this. It's not like he was just let go for creative differences. In most other work places, someone would be fired for the same thing and possibly arrested.

• Love 15
14 minutes ago, zannej said:

I admit that I don't like Virgil's attitude and he seems very thin-skinned. But, getting butthurt on social media and whining about fans criticizing one's writing does not mean a person is prone to violence. In fact one key element of MMA fighting is discipline and learning when to strike and when to hold back. They have to be able to control their tempers and many of them save their violence for inside the ring (not all though). Virgil is in to MMA and boxing. I don't know if someone broke the fight up or what, but Thomas is lucky that Virgil didn't decide to get physical. He's also lucky that Virgil didn't press criminal charges.

Maybe Virgil provoked Thomas verbally, but legally that is usually not enough to justify violence. I know people want to think that Thomas only kicked in self-defense. I wish that I could believe that. I want to, but I think that if that were the case, someone would have come forward and Virgil would have been disciplined too (but only if witnesses attested that he was the aggressor). Since he did not get in trouble, I can only assume that they concluded that there was not sufficient provocation and/or Virgil has some powerhouse negotiating skills. Since it seems he was the complainant, the networks wouldn't want to be seen to be punishing the victim for coming forward.

If this had been a one-time first offense, they might have ordered anger management and let it slide. Except, that already happened years ago. He allegedly shoved Ian Woolf and was sent to anger management in 2010 (I suspect that was around the time of 25 to Life). Then there was the DUI (or whatever it got reduced to) and the fact that I think Thomas is still on probation. In the past, actors have gotten away with worse, but now there is much more public scrutiny. The networks have to worry about appearances and avoiding the appearance of impropriety. In recent years, actors have been fired for less. I think they are making an example of Thomas and showing that they will not tolerate that sort of behavior.

It sucks for everyone involved- including the networks. I'm sure it was not a decision that was made lightly. But, I do understand why CBS/ABC made this decision.

And even though I'm not overly fond of Virgil, I really don't think blaming him and lashing out is productive. As far as the networks are concerned, he was the victim here. I'm not a fan of victim blaming and I wasn't there so I don't know what really happened.

As much as I want to see Hotch on the show, realistically, I don't think there is a chance he can be brought back after this. It's not like he was just let go for creative differences. In most other work places, someone would be fired for the same thing and possibly arrested.

Very much agree

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, zannej said:

I agree with some of this.  I did some googling and found that Thomas was given a three-year probation right around January of 2013, so it would be over by now.  

I said it in the other thread, that I wager CBS didn't really actually want to fire him but felt they had no choice.  From what I know of Virgil, my guess is that he just wouldn't settle for anything less.  

I totally agree that blaming the victim is wrong; I guess I just don't see Virgil as a victim in any way.  Yes, Thomas very likely kicked him, but I doubt it came out of the blue, unprovoked.  And yes, you should check yourself in these situations -- I know I've had to make myself walk away from people who were just itching to get my goat.  But my money says that although Thomas is definitely guilty, VW is hardly innocent in this.

And, on another note, I'd really like to see the remaining cast offer some support or well-wishes to Thomas.  He has been their coworker for more than a decade.  That's no small matter.

All in all, it's a terrible situation.  

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, Droogie said:

I agree with some of this.  I did some googling and found that Thomas was given a three-year probation right around January of 2013, so it would be over by now.  

I said it in the other thread, that I wager CBS didn't really actually want to fire him but felt they had no choice.  From what I know of Virgil, my guess is that he just wouldn't settle for anything less.  

I totally agree that blaming the victim is wrong; I guess I just don't see Virgil as a victim in any way.  Yes, Thomas very likely kicked him, but I doubt it came out of the blue, unprovoked.  And yes, you should check yourself in these situations -- I know I've had to make myself walk away from people who were just itching to get my goat.  But my money says that although Thomas is definitely guilty, VW is hardly innocent in this.

And, on another note, I'd really like to see the remaining cast offer some support or well-wishes to Thomas.  He has been their coworker for more than a decade.  That's no small matter.

All in all, it's a terrible situation.  

Larry Teng said something nice on Twitter.

• Love 3

I don't really have an expectation of the cast to make any public statements.  It's fine if they feel comfortable doing so, but I also understand that they may not, at least not in the moment, considering that they are still working for the same administration, and they still have jobs to do.  They may privately express their support to TG, and I imagine we'll eventually see some public postings, but I don't know that we'll see any defiance of anything or anyone.  This isn't like it was for AJC and PB, it was a firing for cause.

Having said that, it's nice that Larry Teng supported Thomas in a tweet.  And, if I'm not confused, he directed Virgil's most recent episode.

• Love 8

They definitely had cause.  I think a lot of the outrage comes because TG is among the favorites (if not the favorite) on the show.  The firings of PB and AJ Cook was almost purely about money.  I think CBS was shocked at that particular outrage.  

Even thiugh CBS etc has more then enough cause to fire Gibson I think his loss signals the beginning of the end of the show.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if this next year is the last.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

To me, the show has been on increasingly higher levels of life-sustaining intervention since Emily left (the second time).  The replacements just did not work, the rest of the cast has seemed less and less engaged in the past few years, and the writing has been beyond tired.  I didn't even watch most of last season after giving it a try at the start.  I think, sad as it is, the time has come to let it go.  In any case, I won't be watching now with Hotch gone.  I'm very sad that things came to this pass, and I do wonder about background issues the actor may have, but none of that makes me want to watch.  

• Love 2

Given the volatility of this situation, I imagine people are being told by CBS to keep quiet about this. And it must be tough for the cast and crew because it's like when you have two friends you both like but one does something wrong and gets dumped and then they are angry at one another and want you to pick sides.

Here's the link to Larry Teng's tweet

• Love 4
2 hours ago, zannej said:

Given the volatility of this situation, I imagine people are being told by CBS to keep quiet about this. And it must be tough for the cast and crew because it's like when you have two friends you both like but one does something wrong and gets dumped and then they are angry at one another and want you to pick sides.

I changed my mind, I do have one thing to say, because Tumblr has already chosen sides, and that's to vote for JJ to be the next team leader. #KillMeNow

• Love 3

sorry for Reid, because I like him, but I am not watching that new age show

I know I'm living in another country and it doesn't matter if I watch the show or not, but I feel better giving them my freezing shoulder

Edited by smoker
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I changed my mind, I do have one thing to say, because Tumblr has already chosen sides, and that's to vote for JJ to be the next team leader. #KillMeNow

And this will be enough to get me to watch again.  With Hotch gone JJ is the only reason left for me to watch the show.  She is the only character I actually like.  

I'm shocked and devastated. While the show has largely been a piece of crap for the past 5 seasons, my love for Hotch and the friends I've made discussing the show online have kept me tuned in. I will not watch without him. I doubt that I will miss the show, but I will miss communicating here and on other forums and the friends I have made online. I do think that Thomas reacted inappropriately, but like some others here, I highly doubt it was unprovoked. Virgil is among the worst of the CM writers and the way he conducts himself on social media sites shows that he is also a hothead and immature. Of the two, Thomas is clearly the better asset for the show. 

Well, Folks, it's been fun. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Franky said:

@smoker, "my freezing shoulder" is the cutest thing I've ever read on a message board. :D

hahaha thank you Franky, I just hope the meaning is close enough to the thought I had in my head :)

• Love 1

From everything I've read, TG is a very warm and sweet person most of the time but that if he gets his buttons pushed he can lose his temper-- but a lot of people are like that. I think everyone loses their temper sometimes. He's only human.

While I don't like the victim blaming and death threats toward Virgil, I don't think that he is entirely blameless. I do think he provoked TG, but maybe didn't expect him to make the mistake of getting physical. I also think that the whole thing got blown up out of proportion. On one hand, I can understand his anger at being kicked, on the other, I think his behavior on Twitter after-the-fact was opprobrious. If it were a domestic situation and not a workplace situation, I wouldn't care if he gloated.

It really is a sad situation. I hope that TG can go home, rest, spend some time with the kids, and then move on with his life and find someplace to work where he can be happy.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, zannej said:

As I said in another thread, that article was talking about Shemar winning a lawsuit against someone who stole $60k from his MS charity. It was likely about that lawsuit and probably had nothing to do with TG.

I think a grown ass man vagueposting is just as childish as a grown ass man kicking someone.

• Love 4

I think kicking someone and resorting to physical violence on multiple occasions is way more childish than passive-aggressive, vaguely worded Instagram posts.

• Love 20